Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    By the way, R&T's editors apparently agree when they rank IS ahead of G35S and TL-S in both steering and handling.

I'm still in shock over that one considering Road and Track's usual preferences. I see the IS350 put up better slalom numbers than the G35, as did the TL-S. Interesting indeed.

I do like the IS350, but this IS-F is just plain ugly IMO.

IS-F

The new CTS on the other hand looks pretty good.

M
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'll bite - I think that front end style is ostentatious at best hideous at worst. Did all of GM designers flunk out of Mattel Toys school of design? From the front end, I expect the driver of such a car to be a "Rock em Sock em" Robot.

I thought Bangel took the 5 series in the wrong direction a few years ago. But it looks like a flowing work of art compared to the CTS. The CTS front end has all the elegance of a snow plow. I'll ask back - do Cadillac purchasers need to be reminded every time they look at their car of their own "Blockhead" image?
  • dafreak1dafreak1 Member Posts: 61
    I have to agree, the CTS has to be one of the fugliest cars on the road. I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole, no matter what kind of numbers it puts up.
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    How do you really feel about the CTS?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    If you need bluetooth ...

just wanted to point out that, according to BMW's site, the list of standard features on the 335i includes bluetooth.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

"I believe dafreak stated he lives in Chicago. Our traffic is plenty reason to stray away from the manual."

No, it's not, IMO. If you enjoy driving a ELLPS, there is really no excuse to get it in an automatic if you are physically capable of driving a stick. If the traffic is that bad and your daily commute that tedius, IMO you should get a bloody Prius, save yourself a bundle, and use your savings and tax credit to get a serious "fun" car like the Honda S2000 for the weekends.

We live in DC and until our 2005 MDX, neither my wife nor I ever owned an automatic (combined ages of close to 100). My wife likes a manual not because she drives like Danika Patrick. She just likes the feeling of direct control and no unexpected upshifts or downshifts. The XC90 V8 we also considered had an automatic with a mind of its own. Her first choice would have been the X5 3.0 6-speed, but it was too small. We came out of a 1996 Isuzu Trooper 5-speed which she put 80,000 miles on. In her opinion, there is nothing about the MDX which isn't light years better than the Trooper, except for the transmission.

But hey, it's your money. I would just find the idea of an ELLPS and an automatic for me to be a sure sign that I had gone bipolar and needed Prozac. Fortunately, so far, no such inclinations.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Maybe ELLPS could be spelled like ELLPS and ELLPS as well.

;)
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    In the Italian Riviera or the Swiss Alps I'll take a manual. In Atlanta megaFock traffic, I want an automatic. Doesn't mean I shouldn't be driving a nice car.
    In Atlanta megaFock traffic, I want an automatic.

Downtown Connector before 9 am and after 4:30 pm
    I85 north of spaghetti junction before 8:30 am and after 5 pm
    GA400 north after 5 pm
    I285 at all hours

'nuff said...
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    There is hope for GM! I've seen some of the other pictures. Very Nice vehicle.
    Or better yet, just ELLS for some. ;)

Which, by the way, I have no problem with whatsoever. One of my B-school classmates in the hedge fund business could easily afford to buy Aston Martin. Not the car, the company, which apparantly Ford may be selling. But he has no interest in "P" for himself whatsoever. Not the "EL" either, but that's another point. ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's think of it this way - the P part of the equation means something different to him than it does to you. That doesn't make him wrong and it doesn't make you right. It just means you both have different opinions and of course you both are absolutely entitled to same. :shades:
    I'll call you and raise you on that - the "EL", the "L", the "P" and even the "S" parts of the equation can mean something slightly different to all of us. And we are all entitled to our different opinions.

Those that know me from these forums know that I have somewhat reluctantly assumed the role of being a manual transmission proponent. On the other hand, if I limited my social network to those who only drove manual transmissions, I'd hardly have any friends. So, while were are talking amoung enthusiasts, non-enthusiasts or bi-enthusiasts, I'll keep shouting support for the often misalligned manual transmssion. I'll give grief to those who think it's too much trouble except under perfect driving conditions. And I'll continue to spit out "slushbox" every now and again to make my point more dramatic.

But I know some damn good people out there that drive automatics. And I am sure I'd be lucky to count many of the folks in this forum among my friends, automatic drivers included. So I hope no one takes my comments personally. ;)
    habitat1, no worries man, we are all here to talk about cars and I am pretty sure most are mature enough not to take any post personally.

I am a very strong minded person and I can see you are too (BTW, let's throw Blueguy into this bunch as well :P ). Without us this place will be bore as hell.

;)

Pat, you are right on cue as usual, my definition of P in ELLPS is definitely not in the same area code as habitat1's.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    My friends must be automotive freaks. Girls, guys, all with at least a BA, most with a JD and the split comes down to about 50/50 manual to auto. My sister currently owns an automatic and is swearing when she moves on to her next car she'll be back in a manual as she bought the bogus line about kids = automatics. My bro-in-law's 325i manual proved to her she could have a kid and enjoy driving too.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I'm feeling a lot of love in here. Let me know when you're all done so I can resume bashing on auto tranny's, AWD, electronic nannies, and generally anything that weighs more than 3200 lbs. :P
  • crkline2crkline2 Member Posts: 20
    I wanted to buy the G35S with manual transmissions, but the seats are not comfortable for me. On the other hand, the seats in the G35 Journey are comfrotable to me. I still get the same engine with > 300 hp, but I have to go with automatic, as there is no manual option with the G35 Journey.

So while I would like to get manual, if I go with the G35, I won't, cause if I am not comfortable, I am not happy. :)
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    me in as a manual jerk.

And a jerk
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    "...anything that weighs more than 3200 lbs."

Now why would you want to bash my wife??? :surprise: Oh, gosh. I hope she doesn't read this... :sick:

But, she can drive a stick. I taught her on our '92 Sentra SE-R, she honed her skills on her '95 Saab 900 and retired from rowing her own boat with her '02 Lexus RX300. I don't think she's going back to three pedals. I may yet...

Stick or slush, can't we all just get along?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

When my wife and I first met, I had a '91 SE-R. Great car - except for the fuel pump, which left us stranded in Kettleman City once. Actually, she and I have been stranded overnight in Kettleman City 3 times, on 3 different trips in three different cars (the Sentra, her bug, and a Honda Accord that her Aunt "gave" her). After the 3rd time, we decided there was an alien/Bermuda Triangle thing going on there (go to the Texaco there for evidence of past human mutation experiments), so we stopped taking I-5 to and from WA.

Speaking of Bugs, she had a convertible VW Bug (the old kind with the engine where it belongs) when we met. Her mechanic's name was Gunther (no lie!). I wish I could find a mechanic named Gunther, they're the best.
  • dafreak1dafreak1 Member Posts: 61
    I really like the new 335 coupe and/or sedan. My question is this, would I better off buying a 530i CPO car instead of the the 335. I know they are different vehicles but I like both. I also know it is my decision to make but I was hoping to get some feedback from the forum on what they think of CPO cars and the 530i in general. Thanks
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    Off subject, but it is so funny that you mention the original "pocket rocket". I had a 91 SE-R and it was the best car I ever had. No problems, other that that fuel pump issue (which was a recall) and one clutch replacement. The car had 200k miles before it was "totaled" last year. A great car!!!
    I loved the 91 SE-R. Seriously shopped for one in the early 90s. Ended up with a 91 Stanza instead - deal was too good to pass up. The Stanza was the second best car I've ever owned - after my 03 Protege ES.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I for one do not take your comments personally. I respect your vast knowledge and experience (along with others on this board)regarding performance aspects of many cars.

I have a bent for the tech improvements that are showing up especially in the performance area.

As I am a "slush Boxer", my first weekend ride will have a rower because of the fun factor. I can shift with the best of them and understand the true control you get by measuring throttle speed more accurately with an mt in all driving conditions.

Like I said previously, rails and funny cars went with slush boxes a long time ago because the need arose.

Regards,
    OW
    "the original "pocket rocket"

I consider the VW Rabbit GTI to be the original pocket rocket. I wanted one SO BAD when I was in college, but I just couldn't afford a new car back then. I bought a 5 year old Alfa Romeo Spider instead.

My first "pocket rocket" was an '86 CRX Si. It came with 91 HP and weighed under 1950 lbs. I saved my pennies and gradually installed a Jackson Racing cam, header, and muffler on it - boosting power to about 115 HP. I had a lot of fun with Z28's and 5.0 Mustangs at stoplights in that car!
    Yes, I agree that the Rabbit GTI was the first pocket rocket. My first, however, was a new '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo (my first new car), BRIGHT red! Yeah, smart color choice...

I went from a 77hp '78 VW Scirocco, which I just loved. But as soon as the Turbo kicked in on the test drive of the Mirage, I was sold.

We enjoyed the SE-R, too. Total stealth and total fun. But, when first child was imminent, on to the Saab 900 which served its purpose (must avoid the minivan & SUV!) fabulously. With the hatch, uber-utility! And my wife's first heated seats, a must-have for her now. But her last stick, she commutes, too, and finds no joy (same here)in the stop and go muck while driving a stick.

But alas, the pull of the soccer-mom siren song proved too strong and the Saab gave way to the ubiquitos Lexus RX300. Chicks just dig 'em!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

But alas, the pull of the soccer-mom siren song proved too strong and the Saab gave way to the ubiquitos Lexus RX300. Chicks just dig 'em!

Not all. Thank god.
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    The 2008' Cadillac CTS............I'm not trying to stir the pot but would like to here from a generally anti-gm crowds response to it is all ?????

The previous CTS is THE best looking GM car. And now the new CTS joins the DTS in uber ugliness.

Ford has a lead over GM/DCX in term of styling now. Fusion/Edge are decent, while the new Malibu/CTS is :sick:
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The previous CTS is THE best looking GM car. And now the new CTS joins the DTS in uber ugliness.

:surprise:

M
    "My first, however, was a new '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo."

Admit it, you're a died in the wool Jackie Chan fan, and you bought the Mitsu after watching The Cannonball Run.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    actually, that would be the cannonball run 2. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Oh well, I guess I'm not the Cannonball Run fan that you guys are...
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    There still IS the real Cannonbal Run.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=139704- - 104
    ;)

Should be interesting to watch.

There's also a more recent One Lap of America race as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Lap_of_America
    Nah, at the time more of a Farrah Fawcett fan... Still didn't buy a Mustang 2, though!

Remember the tag line for the Mustang 2? "Mustang 2, Boredom 0." My friend's father worked for J. Walter Thompson and he claimed his father created that tag. He's probably still apologizing! ;)

Coincidently, back in 1991, Gunther's VW repair shop was in Redondo Beach, CA, just around the corner from the Portofino Hotel - where my wife (girlfriend at the time) used to work as a cocktail waitress.

And so the circle closes.
    Farah 2, Mustang 0.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It was a tragic, deadly day, an accident involving a CTS was widely reported on. What made this particularly heart wrenching was the CTS caught on fire. While Cadillac may take over the world with their horsepower and B&O stereo, this type of unfortunate thing just re-enforces my thinking about American made products and why I want to (and I do) buy Japanese and German.
    I've seen BMWs on the side of the road burning. Shrug. Happens to all cars.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Oh no! A CTS catching fire? This without question deems American iron inferior to just about everything else out there, doesn't it? Right...

I'm with blueguy, I've seen a Mercedes burn to the ground, as well as a VW. I've also seen not one but TWO Toyotas catch fire as well.

Let's get real. Accidents including fires happens to EVERY type of automobile, no matter where it's from.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Well, I'm convinced.
    I'll never buy or even ride in another american car. Or even walk by one in someone's driveway.
    I don't want to burn to death.
    Call me paranoid if you want.
    I ain't dumb. Burning hurts.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    American cars are just not up to Japanese cars in a lot of respects. The only American car I mightt consider is vette. :shades:
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    Have to admit - My Boss's Honda Accord burning on the side of the road did look a lot more dignified than an American car would have.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    This could be the most unintelligent statement in world history. Please enlighten us, your holiness, with why Japanese and German cars will never catch fire.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    about catching fire, I can tell you that the paint on Cadilacs is awful. There is a CTS (Dark grey) and and STS (light blue) that park in the garage near where I work. The orange peel effect is completely unacceptable on cars that sticker for what these 2 vehicles do. The paint on my '01 Prelude is far superior (And I wash my car once every 2 months if I'm lucky).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Columns are price, 0-60 time in seconds, 1/4 mile time, top speed, braking 70-0, lateral acceleration skidpad, EPA city mpg

Here are some figures:

price 0-60 1/4 mi top 70-0 skid city

$28,555.00 5.4 14.0 149 155 0.87 20
    $34,620.00 5.3 14.0 137 177 0.87 20
    $45,720.00 4.9 13.6 144 160 0.87 19
    $36,000.00 5.2 13.9 158 160 0.87 16
    $35,565.00 5.6 14.2 145 169 0.78 17
    $54,720.00 6.9 15.3 150 176 0.82 19
    $40,000.00 5.1 13.7 142 167 0.85 19

Can you guess what cars 1 through 7 are?
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I've and driven many GM cars, and have liked them all. Never let me down apart from a thermostat and water pump, including one lowly Cavalier with 100+ miles with a clutch showing no wear. I tried to like the one Japanese car I've owned, but just couldn't. My VW GTi was as much fun as anything I've owned, but a serious delinquent in the reliability department. My wife's Malibu, $13K after various discounts, makes me think "what a great, honest value". Handling, so so, gruff, torquey engine, decent stereo, nothing special; I just like it.
    They are all ELLPS I assume? Let me take a crack at this...

(dunno)
    TL
    335i
    G35
    (dunno, could be IS350 but that'll the the worst stats for it ever)
    C350
    IS350 (I think this is more like it)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    The first one's easy: MazdaSpeed 6
    I'll guess #6 is a 530i.

Now for a historical perspective on the evolution of performance, anyone know what this is:

$16,000 8.3 16.5 135 n/a 0.80 20

How about the 1984 Toyota Supra "S", my first "sports car" (which was actually a 2+2 GT Hatchback that could carry 4 adults and luggage at least as comfortably as the IS350). 3.0 liter I6 with 162 hp. Curb weight of 3,000 lbs. Won several awards and beat out the 280Z as sports car of the year.

P.S. Louiswei: The 1984 Supra had 14" wheels with 225/60 VR tires. :surprise: Try to find those today!! ;)
    P.S. Louiswei: The 1984 Supra had 14" wheels with 225/60 VR tires. Try to find those today!!

LOL, habitat1, still pulling my chin eh?

I totally agree with you that 14" will get the job done but from a "beauty" sort of speak perspective I would rather to have those 18"s.