Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Excellent. I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're certainly correct.

I do appreciate how leather smells, but I'm guessing (as was pointed out, with respect to "wood") that, at this price point, real leather & real wood are well out of reach -- what we get is a pale imitation. Surprisingly (or not), that's adequate, most of the time, to keep the cars selling.

When Infiniti presented a real (non-shiny) wood finish in their M series, many didn't like it. It appears that plastic has carried the day.

You get what you pay for (plus that negotiation bit).
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Go to a Mercedes dealership and sit in the S class coupes. That's real leather. It's thick, soft, and 100% real. And it feels exactly like a leather couch or a good leather jacket.

The other just is the pressedboard crud - Ford is famous fo this as witnessed by the 4-5 year lifespan of their "Leather" interiors.(when you see it coming apart and you see white backing, that's the stuff that's put together like particle-board. Real leather is solid and if you get a rip in it, it's all the way through the same, like say, ripping a cotton T-shirt.

But the real stuff costs about 800-1200 per car in actual labor and materials - before profit and such is factored in. MOst people don't want to spend $2000-$3000 for real leather these days(though Cadillacs should at least offer the option to those who want it)
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Not popular in the US market, but cloth seats have real advantages. They'd been used elsewhere, but I first saw them on Citroen DS21s in France as a child -- what an advanced company that was thirty five or forty years ago! The DS21s looked great on the autoroutes, pneumatic suspension fully lowered, cruising at 80 to 90 mph. France at her best.

In the UK, E90s appear to be sold with cloth, cloth/leather combinations and leather, but no leatherette.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Let's look at those JD scores, or perhaps not such a great idea since Cadillac ranks way above in the trophy. So which car is made with crap now !!!! :P

Rocky
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    habitat1,

I want to rephrase myself. I understand what you are saying but their is more to a ELLPS than just driving dynamics. IMHO that's all that BMW knows how to do very well and they sell many for that reason along with people seeking to buy for the badge. I however think theirs much more to car than strictly handling performance. Honestly how many people are going to take their BMW's to the track and use all that handling performance ???? Are you going to race louiswei, around a track in his IS350 ????? I personaly would rather enjoy the creature comforts of a IS350 that has 90-95% of the 335i's performance every day than have a car that is a great performance machine but does nothing else better than the competition let alone better than the gadget filled IS 350.

If you want a performance machine their are better alternatives on the market which are cheaper to own and operate. A couple off the top of my head is the STI and EVO if you wanted to stick with a sedan. The next EVO, like I said is IMHO a ELLPS even though this board and host doesn't recognize it as such because it's not a luxury brand and that's okay. ;) I personally think the best ELLPS on the market with price not being a factor is the Lexus IS 350. Obviously, that will change come this summer with the new 08' Cadillac CTS which should be the best but we won't know for sure until all tests have been validated. #2 should be the IS 350 #3 is a toss up between the 335i or G35 based on if no chages are made. I know the car mags don't agree with me because they are gear heads but I'm factoring everyday use as a daily driver and can't knock louiswei's decision one bit for wanting to own the best ELLPS on the market IMHO. :)

Rocky
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Hey Rocky, leave me outta this okay...

:P
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Rocky,

Do you derive any pleasure from driving? I do. I look forward to driving. It's not a chore. It's not a have-to. It's a desire, a longing, almost an addiction. Coupled with that need is a strange desire to always draw the perfect line on a corner. It could be a simple 90 degree turn or a banked 270 degree corner that I take daily. The line, carrying speed through it, transitioning the weight just right, nose pointing in the perfect place for exit. I get ultimate glee from the "perfect corner" or taking a series of Esses just right.

Unfortunately, lifestyle demands a 4 door with room at least a little room. I demand xenon headlights, leather and some sense that the car i'm in wasn't built for someone working at target (Subaru, Mitsubishi) That's why I drive a BMW. The only other guys who come close are Mazda - not the Mazdaspeed6. VW is a distant third.

Everyday, I drive my car. how it handles is of the utmost importance. You seem to prefer passively piloting. to each his own. Most people drive like they're dead; if I drove like them I might as well have a banal auto-equipped 03 Camry 4 cylinder then.
  • pv2pv2 Member Posts: 37
    Blueguy,
    Great explanation of enthusiasm in daily driving. No need to push the absolute limits of the car but enjoying the experience and the skill to do it well (a little like golf; you're really competing with yourself).
    I enjoyed the 2 BMW coupes I've had but practicality dictates a 4 door (2007 Acura TL-S) and FWD for Northeast winters (though this year has been an exception).
    Using enjoyment and enthusiastic (but not dangerous) driving as an evaluation mechanism allows for a lot of individual choice in ELLPS (among the agreed brands). Many of the cars would be good choices but personal preferences, price, etc., make the equation different for everyone.
    Enjoy your daily drives; I certainly do. :)
    Jack
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I almost became breathless reading that! Very passionate. What do you think about BMW bringing the 1-Series here? It is smaller than the 3 and even more fun to drive then the 3-Series according to most of the European press.

M
    Very interested. 300 hp turbo, easily tuned to 350 or more, 3000 lbs...so much potential.
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    I will now briefly interrupt discussions about leather, Cadillacs, BMW's, Subaru's and Mazda's :confuse: to mention that Edmunds posted an article about the new C class today.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119252

The article says the car is a little higher and shorter than the one it replaces. Darn! My main beef with the C class (besides the perceived lack of reliability, uncompetitive powertrain and high price) is the lack of cabin space for even the DRIVER.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    At one time, it seemed like the Japan makes were looking European. Now it seems like the Euro cars are turning Japanese. Oh maybe not - I'll rest my eyes and look at it again tomorrow :surprise: At least the Cadillacs look unique.
    -Loren
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "...but their is more to a ELLPS than just driving dynamics. IMHO that's all that BMW knows how to do very well and they sell many for that reason along with people seeking to buy for the badge."

Quality driving dynamics and precision engineering are infinitely more important to me than the difference between BMW leatherette and Cadillac leather. As for "that's all BMW knows how to do"? What planet are you living on Rocky? BMW's can be equiped with virtually all of the luxury amenities a normal person could ever want. And style is highly subjective.

As for those seeking to buy the "badge", let's cut to the chase on that one. GM lovers should be envious of the BMW badge. Better yet, they should learn from it. It represents more than a half century of dedicated commitment to producing some of the finest engineered cars in the world. As, by the way, does the Porsche badge. BMW earned the right to "badge" loyalty. GM, on the other hand, did everything possible to piss that kind of quality engineering heritage and customer loyalty in the gutter. You yourself can't proudly live in the present. You are always promoting that the next thing to come out of Cadillac will be "the best". Wishful thinking - but one thing is for certain, brand loyalty doesn't work that way. If you've screwed up for a couple of decades straight, you either need to fold your tent or be prepared to do it right for a consistent decade or two before arrogantly thinking that you deserve any brand loyalty. That's how long it took Audi to overcome their debacles in the 1980's.

Lastly, please don't speak for me, Louiswei, blueguydotcom or anyone else in this forum when you attempt to proclaim the "top three" ELLPS's. That's your opinion, which you are entitled to have, (despite, IMO, your warped metrics of "gadgets" being king). I think most of us here are mature and intelligent enough to come to our own opinions and conclusions without the benefit of your "obvious" proclamation that the next Cadillac will, finally, be "the best".
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Listen, I was a GM loyalist, switched to Lincoln and finally gave up after many decades. First GM in my family was a '56 Chevy Belair.

I agree with habitat regarding the "toilet" treatment and arrogance regarding any need to change to market dynamics or to recognize the reaction from customers as their products suffered from real and perceived quality/value degradation. That was/is the mentality of some of the large car manufacturers today as well (Merc, Watch Out!...don't get Chrysler fungus). Bleeding quality and loyalty led to the current state of affairs for the US contingent. Yes, they can and will turn around because they can no longer exist by the "driving by looking in the rearview mirror" mentality. The past is gone. The competition is better. Time to get real.

Heck, if my GM car performed close to this BMW I own, you think I would not line up again and again? When you expect a certain level of return in any investment and there is never a smile on your face anymore, loyalty evaporates. As to the gadgets, give me a break! The parts bin at BMW is a couple of steps up from the best US has to offer, hands down.

Regards,
    OW
    Considering the crud BMW made for a decade after WWII like the Isetta, yes, BMW has "earned" their reputation.

But they aren't the only competition in town anymore.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    From these initial pix, I agree. Although I see Korea, a hint of Kia??? Will reserve final judgement for the real world, but so far I'm more impressed by the new CTS. And I hated the current CTS (exterior/interior style-wise).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Look at this...overpriced, wouldn't you say?

2007 Cadillac CTS
    Sport 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)
    MSRP Invoice National Base Price
    $36,285 $33,926 $34,562
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change - - $83 Optional Equipment $4,950 $4,109 $4,365 Y41 3.6L V6 Luxury Package (w/o wheels) $1,550 $1,287 $1,367 MX0 5-Speed Automatic Transmission w/Driver Shift Control $1,200 $996 $1,058 CF5 Power Glass Sunroof w/Express Open $1,200 $996 $1,058 U2S AM/FM Radio w/6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer $1,000 $830 $882 Color Adjustment - - $105 Blue Chip Destination Charge $745 $745 $745 Total with Options $41,980 $38,780 $39,860
    Out of curiosity, how did you like the Eldorado and Seville design of 2002 say? Perhaps it is just me, but I kinda like the simpler looking BMW, and Mercedes cars. Some of the more busy looking cars, with some odd lines and creases in the body works kinda remind me more of some odd things from Japan and Korea over the years. Or perhaps some of the very strange things out of Detroit. While some may find the CTS a bit much, as in too radical, you have to admit it is sharp, and will be something in a car museum and car shows within a couple decades. While it is a bit alarming at first, this Art & Science look, it doesn't come off to me as off balanced as say the Bangle butt on a 7 series BMW. The less radical forms of the Bangle are kinda interesting. On some models of BMW it is starting to look OK. All in all though the appearance of some German cars is starting to blend now with the Japan makes. And I hope the headlamp craze gets toned down some day before they overtake the whole car. Some day the size of the lens will exceed the hood width! And some are long too --- too long!

OK, a quick stupid question: Do you prefer the look of the Azera to the Sonata? Is it me, or does the Azera look older. I am NOT saying it looks bad, but rather the dating of the look a bit say early 90's. Anyway, is it better looking or just larger? Any vote for it being included with entry luxury? Is it there yet?
    -Loren
    The *only* option you need is the 3.6 engine. If you want to get it with an automatic, you really just need to resign yourself to an AARP card and get a DTS.

The radio - aftermarket. Always been true for any GM product.

Don't forget the end of year incentives and 0% financing - that's a huge plus as well.
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Yup. It's exceptionally detailed. Look at the compound C-Pillar!:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I like Bangle-Butt though.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "And I hope the headlamp craze gets toned down some day before they overtake the whole car. Some day the size of the lens will exceed the hood width! And some are long too --- too long!"

Personally, I find the new CTS to be in a different league (better- interior and exterior) looks wise to the previous model. That said, the headlamps on the new CTS are an example of what you speak of.

RE: Azera and Sonata- Any vote for it being included with entry luxury? Is it there yet?
    -nope
    This is the year 2007, I assume that 95% or more luxury cars come with some form of automatic transmission in North America. I doubt it has to do with the age of the buyer, however it could in a way. After doing the millionth shift, in tons of traffic, people that have used a clutch may now be willing to go the comfort route. Times do change. The traffic is tighter and the stop signs more numerous. The auto tranny has come a long way for performance. It is true that the old clutch can be entertaining, but I can see the huge benefits of an automatic in the daily drive -- its all good!
    -Loren
    Yes, and even though AARP keeps trying to get me signed up, I refuse to give in!

Live longer and stronger is my motto. And they switched to automatics in the fastest cars on earth a long time ago. :P
    Here is video of the unveiling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDDh0MhVb68&eurl=

Is it me or the center stack looks real cheap?

I know someone's going reply simply: It is you...
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    What is that little knob/joystick behind the shifter where an American/Japanese car would have a cupholder?
    That's the control for the screen I think, similar to BMW's idrive.

Why can't those manufactures just stick with the simple touch-screen. Acura used to have a very good touch screen nav system but I think they have started to use those joystick/knob type of control as well.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I kinda like it...looks very clean.

Perhaps it's the lack of wood.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    The new C-Class looks like it was made by putting the new S-Class in the horizontal part of the crusher and took the car out before the top was crushed.

Could the Ultimate ELLPS be a used car? Not just any used car, but a '97-'98 BMW E36 M3 4 door. I saw 2 great examples listed for sale in ROUNDEL (BMWCCA's monthly magazine).

1998 M3 Sedan: Black/Grey, 83K miles, 5-speed $15,000

Then another one posted by some nut-job: 1998 M3 Sedan: White/Black 13K miles $30,000

Personally I'd take the car with 83K miles on it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Nasty hood. Bug, bulging ugly SUV grille.

Looks so WRONG compared to the current model.
    Nothing is wrong with the grille in my opinion. It is a normal-sized grille.
    Long ago grilles used to define a car.
    Now everybody calls them "SUV" grilles (whatever that means).
    A grille is a grille.
    What else is there to put in front there?

I hope we can return to the days of truly daring design and leave behind the Consumer Reports-inspired resale-value madness that has sent all of us into a beige and silver hell. :shades:
    I'd take that one over anything currently produced by GM. And I don't think there is a direct correlation between grill design and resale value. More of a correlation between grills attached to a POS and ones attached to well engineered, well built cars.

P.S. Is this a rendering of the first reported incident of road rage?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Nasty hood. Bug, bulging ugly SUV grille.

Blame the new "pedestrian-friendly" crash standards for the grille and hood. I like it, though...
    I agree...in about 10 -20 years, BMW will start to opine about the E36 design (which is the one I like the best) and resurrect it just as F/GM/DCX is currently doing with the muscle cars from the glory years.

Interesting how these cars not only retained their value but have increased exponentially according to the condition. I knew I should have put some of these classics on moth balls in the 70's! Just like all of those Mickey Mantle, etc. cards my Mom threw away!

But it's not to late for those E36's! Now's the time to invest.

Regards,
    OW
    That picture might be the truth back in the 50's but let me give you the current day version (sorry for the crappy 10 minutes photoshop job using Paint but you get the idea):

• spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    "But it's not to late for those E36's! Now's the time to invest."

Stop fantasizing and pull out your financial calculator.

I was an original owner of one of the roughly 460 BMW M1's produced in the late 1970's. Paid the godly sum of $65,000+/- in 1979. Decided to sell in 1982. My brother said I was nuts, that I should keep the car and it would go up in value. Indeed it did, and if I had taken the time to properly store it in a climate and humidity controlled environment, I could probably get $125,000 for it today, maybe even $200,000 from a crazy collector with more money than brains.

The $55,000 I sold it for in 1982 went into a conservative investment fund. My wife and I were just getting married and we agreed that, assuming we didn't need to use the money for a house, kids, etc., I could "splurge" some day on another sports car. Fortunately, we've done pretty well and I've been able to have my cake and eat it too. But we kept that money sequestered from our other funds and the conservative investment has returned an average of 14.5% annually. Not exactly hedge fund type returns, but enough to grow that $55,000 into $1,432,000+/- (pre-tax) as of December 31.

I cringe when I hear of people speaking of cars as investments. Yes, there are some collectables in which you could do pretty well if you were at the right place, at the right time, and knew exactly what was a good deal or not. My brother did make a very nice return on a Ferrari Dino. The guy that bought it from him in the late 1980's did not.

An E36 as an investment? You have got to be out of your mind.
    Hehe...

No what I meant is that obsession with resale value has pushed everyone toward the lowest common styling denominator.
    Nobody wants to take risks, because they want to appeal to the widest cross section of people as possible.

So, they will refuse to buy a car with a red interior--or the lovely browns that BMW has--simply because it may not sell as well as one with beige.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    The front of that Mercedes looks similar to the TL :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,564
    It looks like it has the transplanted "eyebrows" from a BMW....

But, overall.. I like it. C-Class sedans haven't exactly been great looking cars, in general. I think this one is better.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'll never understand why folks buy cars for the individual that comes after them. Who cares? Buy the derned car configured the way you want it and let the second owner hang. I cannot tell you how many times I've been told by sales folks "Oh, you don't really want to order that car with a manual transmission."

"Ummm, I sure as hell do."

"No you don't, it will destroy the resale value of your car."

"So? I have to drive the car for three or four years first, and I damn sure want to enjoy it to its fullest in the meantime.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Amen, Shipo.

And there is poetic justice on the manual transmission example. I was never actually discouraged from buying a 2004 Acura TL 6-speed, even though 80%+ of TL's were automatics. But now that for the 2007's you have to jump to the TL-S to get a 6-speed, my dealer called me with an offer to buy my car for cash (i.e. not a trade in) at 100% full KBB trade in value. They would not make that same offer for an automatic, since they are in ample supply.
    OK...no more fantasy..we will wait to see the redesign in the future and use some of the investment return to buy a new one (M136), say 20 years from now.

Thanks for waking me up!

Regards,
    OW
    Yes, more exciting designs, and less of the chop top look. The Chrysler and Dodge chop top may have been a bold move, but do ALL cars now have to look the same? I have seen cars these days with so tall of a door window sill that the drivers chin wasn't in view. It is like the eyes are barely above the door. High dashboards are a turn-off too. Makes people feel like they are way too short for the vehicle. As for Mercedes designs, I think the main issue is one of convincing people the car is reliable.
    -Loren
    As for Mercedes designs, I think the main issue is one of convincing people the car is reliable.

I agree 100%, I think Mercedes makes very pretty cars, but I wouldn't buy due to reliability problmes. :cry:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    . . .and leave behind the Consumer Reports-inspired resale-value madness that has sent all of us into a beige and silver hell.

Very well put.

The least common denominator is alive and well.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • goddess_1goddess_1 Member Posts: 19
    Hello, Everyone -

I in a quandary! I'll soon be purchasing either a 06/07 MB C280 or 06/07 Volvo S60. My research here on Edmunds and other places tell me that neither is the perfect car. Reliability is pretty important to me, as is decent gas mileage, but I also want a car I LIKE. Is that too much to ask?? (I already know the answer to that - "yes.") So, both cars are around the same sales $$, same depreciation, etc. The MB I'll feel a little pretentious in (I can get over it.) But, will the S60 turbo cause me suffering in the long run (maintenance)? :sick: I keep my cars ~8-10 yrs.
    Wathca think?
    If you keep cars that long you should consider a Japanese car IMHO. I bought a TL and couldn't be more pleased. :shades:
    Gotta agree. go with a lexus, acura or infiniti if you want to keep the car for 8 years.
    Lexus or Infinity...do not even go there with Volvo or MB.
    How about a Cadillac CTS or a BMW (buying extended service and warranty to your 8-10 years) ?
    -Loren