Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    To me, the Stow and Go, lower up-front pricing and some of the luxury creature comforts are the standout features of the current DC vans.

Of course they are. While the other features Honda has is very nice, you are going to pay dearly for them and even then, you might not have the kind of van you need.

A couple of seconds better in exceleration means nothing to me. It has plenty of passing power. I try and keep RPM down so I can get better mileage most of the time. I could have had air bags if I wanted to pay for them. Chrysler has a 5 star crash rating. The stability control would be the only thing I can't get on the Dodge that I wouldn't mind having. But I wouldn't give up stow-n-go to get it. Plus I love the fact I got it for 7-10 thousand less than the Honda. (Zero financing alone saved me hundreds.)
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    Of course they are. While the other features Honda has is very nice, you are going to pay dearly for them and even then, you might not have the kind of van you need.

Or you might get a van you want to keep for a long time. I plan on keeping it 10 years. The 2001 Dodge Caravan I had barely made 50 months just didn't suit my needs(safety/space)and had too many issues. I paid dearly for that when I traded it in! :cry:

A couple of seconds better in exceleration means nothing to me. It has plenty of passing power. I try and keep RPM down so I can get better mileage most of the time. I could have had air bags if I wanted to pay for them. Chrysler has a 5 star crash rating. The stability control would be the only thing I can't get on the Dodge that I wouldn't mind having. But I wouldn't give up stow-n-go to get it. Plus I love the fact I got it for 7-10 thousand less than the Honda. (Zero financing alone saved me hundreds.)

According to the prices paid forum you paid 25K+ (with warrenty)for the SXT. You could have got a EX at the time for about 26.5K(Less than 500 more for a warrenty for 5/60K). This would come with side airbags/ stability control and marginially better brakeing, acceleration, road holding, and much better offset scores. A 7-10 K difference seems way off. I paid 4 K more for a EX-L with RES. So Love the fact you paid 2K less but lets not get carried away!! Some people want stow and go and some don't. Really noone needs it(All the minivans can be configured as needed with some effort). Not often do I go and try and pickup a couch/or other crap thats on the side of the road. I usually know when I need to pick up something big. It keeps me from buying alot of crap I didn't need in the first place! :P Still have only put down the seats to show people how they work. :shades:
    According to the prices paid forum you paid 25K+ (with warranty)for the SXT. You could have got a EX at the time for about 26.5K(Less than 500 more for a warranty for 5/60K). This would come with side airbags/ stability control and marginially better brakeing, acceleration, road holding, and much better offset scores. A 7-10 K difference seems way off. I paid 4 K more for a EX-L with RES. So Love the fact you paid 2K less but lets not get carried away!! Some people want stow and go and some don't. Really noone needs it(All the minivans can be configured as needed with some effort). Not often do I go and try and pickup a couch/or other crap thats on the side of the road. I usually know when I need to pick up something big. It keeps me from buying alot of crap I didn't need in the first place! Still have only put down the seats to show people how they work.

I paid about $25,000 which included a 7/70 bumper to bumper warranty, which cost me about $1,300.00. That doesn't even count the drivetrain warranty it has on it. I also got five years zero financing. I couldn't have even gotten a power rear hatch on the Honda for less than $30,000. Much less the overhead computer or better radio with CD and cassette. Or power saver and stow-n-go at any price. Plus it came with adjustable peddles and keyless entry with alarm. Put those features on your Honda and see what the price jumps up to.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    "Of course they are. While the other features Honda has is very nice, you are going to pay dearly for them and even then, you might not have the kind of van you need."

I did say that lower upfront pricing is an advantage for DC vans. Yes, I did pay dearly for the extra safety on the Odyssey. That was my major reason for buying a new van. Other people buy for other reasons.

"A couple of seconds better in exceleration means nothing to me. It has plenty of passing power. I try and keep RPM down so I can get better mileage most of the time."

Who cares about the RPMs if the Odyssey still gets better fuel economy and has better pickup in case you ever need it in an emergency? I almost never get my Odyssey over 2.5k RPM in city or highway driving, but there are situations where extra power can be an advantage- especially in a passing situation. This may not be of interest to you, but it might to someone else.

"I could have had air bags if I wanted to pay for them. Chrysler has a 5 star crash rating. The stability control would be the only thing I can't get on the Dodge that I wouldn't mind having. But I wouldn't give up stow-n-go to get it."

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new vehicle without side curtain airbags in all rows of seating. I also wouldn't buy an SUV or minivan without stability control. I did say both the NHTSA and IIHS crash test ratings, not only the government star ratings. Safety was a priority for me, but again it obviously isn't as high a priority for you. For example, you valued the Stow 'n Go seating and power rear hatch higher. We each have our own preferences.

"Plus I love the fact I got it for 7-10 thousand less than the Honda. (Zero financing alone saved me hundreds.)"

Many people are paying invoice or less on Odysseys. I knew DC minivans could often be had for up to a few thousand less than a comparable Odyssey, but I didn't realize it was 7-10k less. If you finance, then rates are a factor too, of course. I guess that's a reflection on the discount needed to be competitive with Toyota and Honda for sales. They're all nice vans that appeal to different buyers. I happened to mention some that differentiate the Odyssey, just as the previous poster mentioned some for the DC vans.
  • wwdcatcwwdcatc Member Posts: 35
    I chose the 06 Odyssey for better resell value. I paid $30,800 for my Odyssey EXL with DVD/Nav. A comparable DGC/T&C would have been around $27,800 (the quotes I received) or $3000 difference. Looking at resale from Washington Post, three years old Odyssy van are selling from $20,000 - 23,000. The same comparable features DGC/T&C vans are currently selling from $17,500 - 18,000. Look further down the road to 5 - 8 years, that difference would be even greater.

So I think from a resale standpoint, it is a better investment.
    Now,

If you will ultimately keep the van forever, then you can throw my argument out the window.

Otherwise, when I test drove all three vans, I was satify will all three van.

My order of pick:
    1. Odyssey EX-L with NAV/DVD
    2. T&C Signature Series with NAV/DVD
    3. Sienna XLE with NAV/DVD
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Yes, the Ody and the Dodge have different features.

But the point remains true; the general equivalent to the Caravan SXT is the Ody EX (roughly comparable feature content) and the price delta between these two is nowhere NEAR the $7k-$10k which you like to throw out there.
    If you look back on some previous posts, you will see I kept my 1993 Eagle Vision for 11 years. I spent $1,300.00 extra to get a 7 year, 70,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on this van. By the time I'm ready to get rid of it, resale value won't even enter into it.
    I paid about $25,000 which included a 7/70 bumper to bumper warranty, which cost me about $1,300.00.

Wow thats way too much for that the powertrain came with 7/70($100 ded) and the basic warranty is 3/36. Looks like you paid $1300 for almost nothing.

I couldn't have even gotten a power rear hatch on the Honda for less than $30,000.

I'm sure you know that with Hondas package plan the rear hatch was only on the Touring you really can't compare those 2 cars because of the content. So lets not do it. Power hatch is a nice little toy. ;)

Much less the overhead computer or better radio with CD and cassette. Or power saver and stow-n-go at any price.

Ok so lets go with 8 passeger seating, 6 disc changer CD player, intergrated sun shade, conversation mirror, heated side mirrors, EBD, VSA, sideairbags with rollover sensors, 5 speed transmission, lazy susan, all available on the EX for about 26K!!

Plus it came with adjustable peddles and keyless entry with alarm. Put those features on your Honda and see what the price jumps up to.

EX comes standard with remote entry and security system. The power pedels are something I really don't need but someone might. Now don't forget about the DCX having the kneeblocker. ;)
    And the EX doesn't have hardly any of the features I want. If you put the remote rear hatch on it alone, your talking over $30,000. I hear the Honda extended warranty is almost $2,000.00. Zero financing can be almost $2,000 more. And I still have the better radio and overhead computer and stow-n-go.
    I don't need seating for eight. I have lighted vanity mirrors and heated outside mirrors. I wouldn't know if this van's transmission shifted 3,4 or five times and could care less as long as it shifts. The EBD is the only feature I would like I can't get on the Dodge. And I sure wouldn't trade those two storage wells for that lazy susan. Dodge's give you 12 extra feet of storage, how much do you get on the Honda? Plus, I am always ready for what ever comes up. no taking seats out for ant=ything.
    And the EX doesn't have hardly any of the features I want. If you put the remote rear hatch on it alone, your talking over $30,000. I hear the Honda extended warranty is almost $2,000.00. Zero financing can be almost $2,000 more. And I still have the better radio and overhead computer and stow-n-go.

Thats why you bought the DCX but none is created equal. Trying to compare a SXT to a Honda Touring is not even close to fair. Honda had 1.9% financeing when I bought in april I didn't get it. I wouldn't really believe all I hear about cost. Look at this web site I just typed in Honda and warranty. The 7/80K $0 ded is $875. Thats with about 25 seconds of work there are probably better prices.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/warranty.htm
    I don't need seating for eight. I have lighted vanity mirrors and heated outside mirrors. I wouldn't know if this van's transmission shifted 3,4 or five times and could care less as long as it shifts.

Like I don't need the Stow and go. The Ody has more storage behind the last row. 38.4 cu ft compared to 26.4 and its not like i can't flip down the last set of seats. I have 5 or six people in my car at most times really not used for hauling. I call my Brother in law for that he's got a truck and then I have someone to help me carry and install it too. Then someone to have a beer or some Makers Mark with! ;)

Dodge's give you 12 extra feet of storage, how much do you get on the Honda? Plus, I am always ready for what ever comes up. no taking seats out for ant=ything.

You may not be ready for a ice patch or some accident avoidance! Oh ya I found that extra 12 feet it behind the last row on my ODY.
    I went to that site and it shows,

Honda Odyssey Models
    Genuine Honda Care™ Warranties. $0 deductible plans are available for 2004 and newer vehicles with a maximum of 6,000 miles on the odometer. $100 deductible plans are for 2004 and newer vehicles with 6,001-36,000 miles. Call us toll free at 1-888-244-6632 if you need help or additional information. NOTE: If you plan on using your vehicle for Commercial Use, please contact us for eligibility.
    $0 Deductible Warranties
    Eligible 2004-2006 Odyssey
    Maximum Odometer Mileage - 6,000
    Price Ranges: $490-$1360
    5yr to 8yr terms available
    $100 Deductible Warranties
    Odometer Mileage 6,001-36,000
    Price Ranges: $1220-$1320
    5yr and 6yr terms available

I realize that it wouldn't be fair to compare price to the touring. But it's Honda's fault of not offering more choices. Why should you have to pay over $30,000 to get a power rear lift gate and over head computer? If you want those little niceties, you have to pay through the nose for them.
    "If you want those little niceties, you have to pay through the nose for them."

Why do you assume that the features that YOU want are the same features that any reasonable person would also want and any company which doesn't offer those features (the ones that marine2 wants) as standard equipment is at fault?

Wouldn't this ENTIRE THREAD be more useful if we simply pointed out the differences between the vans and let OTHER PEOPLE decide what was more important TO THEM?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Substitute other for reasonable and you have an argument.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    Not everyone goes for the Honda generic, vanilla, appliance look. Some people prefer vehicles with style.
    I could care less if they are standard equipment or not. Just that I could buy them at a reasonable price. Why force me to buy a bunch of stuff I don't want because they are only offered as standard equipment on high price models with many things I don't want?

Many of you Honda buyers seem to think the things you want are the things I should have. I know what I want and I don't want to pay $6-$7,000.00 more to get them.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    That illustration has style...I'm just not sure what style it is! It's not that any of the parts individually look bad, its just that nothing flows. At least the Honda has a fluidity to it that that illustration does not.

I'll be first to admit that the Dodge has a much better "american" style to it than the Honda/Toyota. It could be worse though, and look like the Quest!
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    Darren, over the long run you'll love your Odyssey. My neighbor has a 1999 with over 140k on it and has never had a proablem.
    Happy driving. You made the best choice. :D
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    P.S. I forgot to mention that over the long run you'll have very few, if any, rattles and creaks. The fit and finish will be long lasting as well. The paint will still look good if reasonabily maintained, and when it's 10 years old and has lots and lots of miles on it, it'll still have some $ value left. :blush:
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I hear the Honda extended warranty is almost $2,000.00.

Your claim is SO far out of line. I paid $1,010.00 for a Honda Care 6/120/$0 warranty. The 5/100/$0 $895. The reason you paid $1,300 for your warranty is because Chrysler has to pay out more for repairs. Odysseys are much less repair prone, hence the lower extended warranty cost.
    I could care less if they are standard equipment or not. Just that I could buy them at a reasonable price. Why force me to buy a bunch of stuff I don't want because they are only offered as standard equipment on high price models with many things I don't want?

The power peddles I'm 6 foot my wife is 5'7" are not needed for us. If we were 5 foot then maybe it would be a good option. The pwoer hatch is really not that big a deal. Honda likes the package approach. Probably for 2 reasons. Easier to build and if you want something allot you have to buy the whole trim package. This isn't great for everyone thats for sure. But to me stow and go, power hatch, power peddles and a trip computer(which is just a toy) Come on I can figure out how many miles I got per gallon and when to refill my tank. The Honda has a maintenance minder and I like that quite a bit.

Many of you Honda buyers seem to think the things you want are the things I should have. I know what I want and I don't want to pay $6-$7,000.00 more to get them.

I know what I wanted too. In 2006 there is no reason to buy a car that dosen't have VSC, EBD and side airbags with rollover sensors. These are important safety equipment that is a must for ME!! The power peddles, power hatch, trip computer are all just little toys as far as I'm concerned!! You still coulda got almost the same thing for 2K more than you paid but you think the power hatch/trip computer/stow and go is soooo important but the safety stuff is worthless. To each his own!
    Travler-

My 2006 replaced a 2001 LX that was never once in the shop for anything but routine maintenance. I traded it in primarily to get 3-row side curtain airbags and stability control. The 8th seat was another important consideration. Those criteria alone quickly limited me to the Odyssey and Sienna. Emergency handling, braking and acceleration were also considerations for safety reasons, and a split folding third row seat was a nice upgrade as well. The rollover sensing side curtain airbags with sensors for all three rows also helped make my choice, as did the stowable PlusOne seat. Reliability, fit, finish and resale value are nice, but were not major selling points to me. If I hadn't wanted the 8th seat, the Odyssey LX would have been a relative bargain for me. I splurged on an EX-L and don't regret it, but I didn't really need some of the extras and wouldn't miss them on a future vehicle.

Anyway, I doubt I'll still have it in 10 years. I suspect within 5-7 years I'll be wanting a model with the latest safety features and improved crashworthiness. Motor vehicle crashes remain the #1 killer for children and young adults, so safety is very important to me in a family vehicle. Others have different preferences, so this discussion is a pretty good example of why you need to compare and not just take the advice of someone who may be biased and does not share your same preferences.
    Well I just told you what I heard another say a few months back. The other one I posted was from Honda it's self, that showed it going up to $1300.00 for the Odyssey and not going through the dealer, which would have been even more. I got that site from a poster right here a few hours ago. I'll repost it again and read it for yourself.

Honda Odyssey Models
    Genuine Honda Care™ Warranties. $0 deductible plans are available for 2004 and newer vehicles with a maximum of 6,000 miles on the odometer. $100 deductible plans are for 2004 and newer vehicles with 6,001-36,000 miles. Call us toll free at 1-888-244-6632 if you need help or additional information. NOTE: If you plan on using your vehicle for Commercial Use, please contact us for eligibility.
    $0 Deductible Warranties
    Maximum Odometer Mileage - 6,000
    Price Ranges: $490-$1360
    5yr to 8yr terms available
    $100 Deductible Warranties
    Odometer Mileage 6,001-36,000
    Price Ranges: $1220-$1320
    5yr and 6yr terms available

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee93f0a?displayRecent

Originally posted by socalawd
    Anyway, I doubt I'll still have it in 10 years. I suspect within 5-7 years I'll be wanting a model with the latest safety features and improved crashworthiness. Motor vehicle crashes remain the #1 killer for children and young adults, so safety is very important to me in a family vehicle. Others have different preferences, so this discussion is a pretty good example of why you need to compare and not just take the advice of someone who may be biased and does not share your same preferences.

One could aways buy a tank and then never worry about safety. While I think most people want a safe vehicle, most also want more than that. I have to wonder how you ever got by before the 2005-6 Hondas ever came out. Even the safest vehicle on the road will not keep you safe from stupid drivers and the right hit.

I was a professional driver for over 40 years. With only two accidents in all that time. I did that by not only being a good driver, but by being a defensive driver. I was also a driving instructor for new drivers coming into our company. One reason I don't worry about the Honda having a better passing speed, is I won't pass anyone unless I know it's safe. I don't take off from a light before looking both ways to make sure someone is not trying to beat the light. Stopping four feet shorter doesn't bother me because my eyes are always on the road. Not only on the guy ahead of me, but the guy ahead of him and I keep a safe distance behind and start to slow when I see the car that's two ahead of me, hit his brake lights. Not just the one that is directly ahead of me.

I bought a safe van, but I wanted more than just a good looking, safe, people hauler. I wanted one that would do anything I wanted a minivan to do and make it easier on me and I got it.

Will I have trouble with it at some point? I might. But I am covered for 7 years if it does. In the mean time I got all the goodies I wanted on this van and got it at a great price. Who could ask for anything more?
    I don't think anyone disuptes the fact that any car is dangerous when enough force hits it, but the Odyssey has a better active safety system to help prevent this. Will it work every time to prevent your wreck? Maybe not...VSA can't avoid that train you tried to outrun, but it may save your life when you hit that black ice unexpectedly, or when the moron in the lane beside you doesnt look and changes lanes on top of you.

No doubt that there is no perfect car safety wise, but the odyssey is closer to it than the Dodge is the point that he was attempting to make.
    No doubt that there is no perfect car safety wise, but the odyssey is closer to it than the Dodge is the point that he was attempting to make.

I'll give him that point. My point is my van is also safe. Maybe not as safe as his Ody, but it is a safe van. I consider myself a very safe driver. But I want more than a safe people hauler. I wanted a bunch of nice features with it. I want a van to do the things I want to do with it. That is why I got rid of my truck. I think I got all of that for a very good price. If we are only going to look at safety, everyone should just buy a Honda Ody no matter if they need it or not, right?
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    When I checked in September 2005, dealers quoted 2006 GC SXT $24,400 while 2006 Ody EX was $ 28,206.
    If safety is your highest priority, vehicles equipped with VSA should be on your list, as it makes a marked difference in how well control is maintained in foul weather and emergency handling situations.

On the CR-V forum, you can read how people wanting to test the merits of VSA went to an empty lot, accelerated to a relatively low speed, then swerved as if they were avoiding a deer on the road (or your object of choice). When VSA was turned off, they spun uncontrollably, when it was left on, they couldn't spin the car no matter how they tried.
    No rattles and creaks over the long run?
    Go read in the Problem Forum to read about the problems owners of NEW Odysseys are talking about.
    When I checked in September 2005, dealers quoted 2006 GC SXT $24,400 while 2006 Odd EX was $ 28,206.

Almost $4,000 difference. Did the Ody have both rear electric doors and electric tailgate. Did it also have the overhead computer? Those are some of the things I really wanted on my van, plus adjustable peddles. My wife is much smaller than I and I need them for her.
    No rattles and creaks over the long run?
    Go read in the Problem Forum to read about the problems owners of NEW Odysseys are talking about.

It seems many have been brain washed to believe that nothing goes wrong with a Honda. The Honda forum should tell them better. Not that they aren't a very, good minivan, they are.
    Neither GC SXT nor Ody had power liftgate at rear and neither had adjustable pedals. Each had power sliding doors both sides, power driver's seat, separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers with separate fan for rear air/heat.
    GC SXT had complete overhead console with compass/outside temperature and trip computer, Stow'N Go, and seating for 7. The Ody EX had seating for 8 and automatic temp control for driver and front passenger while GC is manually controlled.
    Shoot, its no secret that I'm a Honda guy, but i'll tell ya our right-rear door lock rattled!

It didn't have a single issue other than that, though, and held over 50% of its value (traded in after 66 months of ownership).
    Neither GC SXT nor Ody had power liftgate at rear and neither had adjustable pedals. Each had power sliding doors both sides, power driver's seat, separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers with separate fan for rear air/heat.
    GC SXT had complete overhead console with compass/outside temperature and trip computer, Stow'N Go, and seating for 7. The Ody EX had seating for 8 and automatic temp control for driver and front passenger while GC is manually controlled.

I got mine for about that price without the extended warranty. It also has power drivers seat, three way A/C with rear blower. But I also got the auto lift gate, along with the over head computer and and adjustable pedals for that price. Along with Zero financing.
    May I inquire the month/year of purchase? I was wondering if this was during employee pricing/miles of freedom plan days. Thanks.

I'm going to bed. Catch y'all tomorrow.

yawn

thegrad
    Shoot, its no secret that I'm a Honda guy, but i'll tell ya our right-rear door lock rattled!

It didn't have a single issue other than that, though, and held over 50% of its value (traded in after 66 months of ownership).

You did ok with your Honda graduate. I have never, ever said the Honda wasn't a very good van. My only point is, the quality has come way up on the Chrysler vans. They do all the things I want a van to do and they do it for a great price. I don't look to get anywhere near the tade in on my van that a Honda owner will get for his. But I also am not going to pay any where near what a Honda owner paid to buy it new. I have only had mine for 14 months now, but so far, it's been trouble free. And I'm covered for the next 6 years if something does happen.

I bought it in Dec. of 2005. It had a sticker price on it for over $27,000 if I remember right. Almost $28,000.
    I think the reason I got such a deal is because it was the end of the year and they wanted to get their numbers up. I went in with an add from another dealer that was advertising the SXT for $21,000. Although I paid over $3,000 more than that, I heard the one in the paper didn't have a lot of features I got.
    For the guy that said I paid so much for my extended warranty and Honda's was so much cheaper because Dodges have more problems than Honda's. I got this right from the Honda site. This guy paid $1,450.00. About a hundred more than I paid.

#8333 of 11842 Buying Experience by njhonda Jan 30, 2005 (10:25 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Purchased 2005 Odyssey EXL last Thursday at Willis Honda in Burlington, NJ. MSRP was 30810 including destination. Paid 27687 with destination charges (about 150 over invoice). Seemed like a good price. Got worked over on the extended warranty though. Finance guy told us once we leave the showroom we can no longer get new car rate. He said used car rate was 200-400 more expensive. So took the 7yr/100k and paid 1450. Have 200 miles on the car and no problems. Driving to Florida next week after the EAGLES win the superbowl and expect to give the car a good work out. NJHONDA

Here is another below the first one. Also more than I paid.

I just purchased a Ody. Touring - Navi/RES- Silver for 37,800. Called the internet salesman listed on the honda site. I told him I would purchase his next Odyssey Touring with the Navi for $1000 below MSRP. He did not hesitate to call me the next day and told me to come in and he would honor the deal. True to his word, I signed the paperwork and left that night with a new Ody Touring Navi/RES. I bought the 7/100,000 Honda Warranty for an additional 1450. I know that this was a little high but they initially offered me the 5/75,000 for $1,850. I countered with 1,200 for the 7 year warranty. Initially my sales person said their cost was $1,400 and that they couldn't do it. I told them that was ok and that I would just shop it around. When I got to the financing guy to sign the docs he offered me a 7/100K for $1300 (with a $50 deductible) or 7/100k for $1450 with 0 deductible. Since I felt that I was getting a good deal on the vehicle I capitulated and got the extended warranty for $1,450.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Wow!!! what happened here, who caused all the fuss? Must be socalawd's fault :)

I see the Ody guys are back on their high horses, touting their overpriced Odys, while conveniently ignoring real world gas mileage (poor!), rattles, door problems, wind problems, brake problems....but ah yes, sooo superior.

Anyways....just got the Kia Sedona brochure in the mail....Kia's gonna give everyone a run for the money here guys. Features no other minivans have, and they're standard:

Brake assist system
    Brake distribution
    Front active headrests
    Tire Pressure monitoring
    ESC, ABS, TCS

Yeah, I know this isn't the Kia forum but arguing about VCS or Stow N Go for the umpteenth time is useless.

ALL windows (side and rear vents) are powered!
  • wwdcatcwwdcatc Member Posts: 35
    If you shop around, the extended warranty on the Odyssey are actually decent prices. For an 8 year/120,000 mile/$0 deductible policy, I paid $1230, apparently cost for the dealership. So, it can be had for a good deal if you shop around and bargain.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I was offered a 7yr/100k btb Honda Care for $900 when I purchased mine. I don't buy warranties.

As a Honda owner (first time actually) I'll come staight up and say I dislike the way Honda packages their vehicles. I've never bought one in the past mainly for this reason. I would have been much happier with a Touring, but they don't have the 8th seat option which I required. I also find my EX-L is lacking a few basic features that many economy cars have, but they're only available on the Touring models.

What is this fascination with the overhead computer? I've had this in umpteen vehicles and usually only pay any attention to the outside temp. The Ody has outside temp in the dash. Is a compass something anyone actually uses?
    "When I checked in September 2005, dealers quoted 2006 GC SXT $24,400 while 2006 Ody EX was $ 28,206."

Interesting. We got our EX-L (with MUCH more on it than the EX) in Feb. '05 for $28,600 with virtually no haggling. For a unit in stock in a popular color. This is one reason I've had such a hard time believing the 'myth' that a GC SXT will run $7k-10k less than a Ody EX.

Maybe if one compares a 1 year old GC SXT to a 1 year old Ody EX...... :P
    "One could aways buy a tank and then never worry about safety. While I think most people want a safe vehicle, most also want more than that."

Indeed- I agree. I bought a very safe vehicle with a lot more than I needed on it.

"I have to wonder how you ever got by before the 2005-6 Hondas ever came out."

That's the same poor reasoning people use when they ask how did we all survive when we were kids without wearing seatbelts or using child seats, in an effort to justify not properly restraining themselves or their kids. Well, the truth is that a lot more of us didn't survive back then. The statistics show that clearly.

It's the same with vehicle safety. As regulations improve and manufacturers target safety as a selling feature, vehicles become safer. That has helped contribute to the ongoing decrease in vehicle fatalities normalized per miles driven as well. I get by as safely as reasonably possible.

"Even the safest vehicle on the road will not keep you safe from stupid drivers and the right hit."

True, though that logic applies to the safest drivers as well.

"I was a professional driver for over 40 years. With only two accidents in all that time. I did that by not only being a good driver, but by being a defensive driver. I was also a driving instructor for new drivers coming into our company. One reason I don't worry about the Honda having a better passing speed, is I won't pass anyone unless I know it's safe. I don't take off from a light before looking both ways to make sure someone is not trying to beat the light. Stopping four feet shorter doesn't bother me because my eyes are always on the road. Not only on the guy ahead of me, but the guy ahead of him and I keep a safe distance behind and start to slow when I see the car that's two ahead of me, hit his brake lights. Not just the one that is directly ahead of me."

That's great- you are an example all drivers should emulate. If you can avoid all crashes, then you need not be concerned at all about safety. Granted, that's pretty much what everyone thinks about their driving skill, yet crashes remain the #1 killer in age groups up through 35 and a leading cause after that.

I'm a careful driver and have never had a crash in 20 years of driving. Even so, given competitive models that otherwise meet my needs, I'll pick the one I believe is safest to save my family from possible injury on the roads. Again, there's no shame if safety wasn't your top criteria- everyone has their own preferences, there's no need to rationalize your choice on that basis only. My van doesn't have Stow 'n Go, a power hatch or an overhead computer. Those weren't my priorities. If they were, I'd have purchased a DC van, also. I had different priorities before I was married and had kids, but I've learned a lot in my work since then.

"I bought a safe van, but I wanted more than just a good looking, safe, people hauler."

Incidentally, I never said your vehicle was unsafe. I also got a lot more for my needs than a good looking, very safe people hauler. Funny how that works- I simply had different priorities than you. No offense intended; I'm not critcizing your preferences or choice in vehicles at all. Please don't think that pointing out the differences among the competition is a personal attack on your choice in vehicles, or anyone else's. On the other hand, both opinions on the topic may help someone make their choice among these vans.
    "I also find my EX-L is lacking a few basic features that many economy cars have, but they're only available on the Touring models."

Trying hard to picture what these features would be....?

"Is a compass something anyone actually uses?"

I've got one on my car....never used it. It must be due to my innate sense of direction... ;)
    "One could aways buy a tank and then never worry about safety."

I'm still trying to picture how one goes about buying a tank and then how one goes about getting it registered for street use.... :confuse:
    I usually don't buy warranties either. But with power sliding doors, power hatch, power windows, door locks, seat, all the electrical on these vans, plus engines and transmission, it seemed like a wise decision to me. Just replacing the air compressor on these vans can cost a $1,000. With Honda coming out with so many new features on theirs, I'd be afraid not to have it.

No real fascination with the overhead computer. It's just that it is standard on the SXT and it's a nice feature to have. Same with the electric tail gate. It's hard, if not almost impossible for a woman of my wife's size to pull it back down. It's a great feature for her and the extra cost was reasonable.
    I see the Ody guys are back on their high horses, touting their overpriced Odys, while conveniently ignoring real world gas mileage (poor!), rattles, door problems, wind problems, brake problems....but ah yes, sooo superior.

If the "Ody guys" are on a high horse, I'd say the "DC guys" are no different. I originally replied to kimchi's one-sided post a few pages back. If discussing the differences in these vehicles is not a proper topic on a Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans forum, what is?

Anyways....just got the Kia Sedona brochure in the mail....Kia's gonna give everyone a run for the money here guys. Features no other minivans have, and they're standard:

Brake assist system
    Brake distribution
    Front active headrests
    Tire Pressure monitoring
    ESC, ABS, TCS

Hopefully, every new generation of minivan released will imrpove in terms of safety and other aspects, too. Kudos to Kia for improving theirs. It's about time more minivans start offering better head restraints and crash reporting systems. A TPMS is a good feature, too, but I believe it is mandated by the TREAD act within a year or two. So that will be pretty much guaranteed across the board. If you get runflat tires, it's already standard on minivans that offer that feature.
    To avoid debate over a few dollars difference in those who buy extended warranties, here's the going rate from a dealer used by many Odyssey owners at another forum. Thanks to the original poster at that forum for the information. Pretty much agrees with the price paid by wwdcatc.

"Honda Care Prices For Odyssey
    $0 Deductible

New Honda vehicles must be model year 2004 or newer
    with up to 6,000 miles on odometer

Plan Code: D56 5yr 60k $410.00
    Plan Code: D58 5yr 80k $630.00
    Plan Code: D50 5yr 100k $775.00
    Plan Code: D68 6yr 80k $705.00
    Plan Code: D60 6yr 100k $910.00
    Plan Code: D62 6yr 120k $1010.00
    Plan Code: D78 7yr 80K $795.00
    Plan Code: D70 7yr 100k $1069.00
    Plan Code: D72 7yr 120k $1169.00
    Plan Code: D80 8yr 100k $1149.00
    Plan Code: D82 8yr 120k $1249.00
    -unquote-"
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Trying hard to picture what these features would be....?

Auto headlamps and programmable auto door locks are very common even on cheap cars, but my EX-L with navigation and rear DVD doesn't have them. Standard on the Touring, so apparently Honda considers these more of a luxury feature :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.