Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• dpalmer2dpalmer2 Member Posts: 11
    I agree that its hard to call any 3 series competitor overpriced. Lexus, Cadillac and Infiniti offer more bang for your buck than BMW objectively speaking. Time will tell if the new CTS gets a substantial increase in price but I doubt it. If it's price structure stays where it is today than I think it will represent great value in this segment.

When people defend the price point of BMWs and MBs I do have to wonder what one really gets for all that extra dough. Any ideas?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    its the little things that are important to different people that vary from buyer to buyer.

Amen to that.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    When people defend the price point of BMWs and MBs I do have to wonder what one really gets for all that extra dough. Any ideas?

For BMW, one gets the legendary BMW performance. For MB, one gets umm... a tri-star emblem on the hood?
    I agree that its hard to call any 3 series competitor overpriced. Lexus, Cadillac and Infiniti offer more bang for your buck than BMW objectively speaking. Time will tell if the new CTS gets a substantial increase in price but I doubt it. If it's price structure stays where it is today than I think it will represent great value in this segment.

Ah, but if you think the value of a vehicle is nil, then it really can't compare to the competition? The CTS or MKZ could start at 15k and they still wouldn't garner serious attention from me.

Simply put, I wouldn't pay my money for an American car. No matter the price. I'm a car bigot through and through. Japanese, Korean, German, etc are all fine. Just don't let it come from an American manu because it will never rest in my garage - no matter the cost.

I see no value in the CTS as it's American made. I wash my hands of the car at that point.FWIW, this is rooted in growing up with a father who adores American cars (and owns a bunch of classics he rubs with a diaper every weekend) and because my first car was American. Never again.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    PS- one of the cars in my garage is a Mazda3 for commuter duty. It ain't all it's cracked up to be and has had numerous issues with brakes (rears completely shot after a 1.5 years- $500 repair under warranty), creaking and rattling, terrible fuel economy (averaging 18mpg overall with 27k mi) rough idling, tranny shift shock, emissions equipment repair, and a scratch prone interior. The press and reviews don't mean jack to me because they worship this little annoying car.

No one said a Mazda was as reliable, dependable, or as fuel economical as a Honda or Toyota.

However.. Mazda did used to have a solid 4/50 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain warranty, so I'm sure you will benefit from that. It did strike me as a HUGE red flag when we shopped the 3 at the end of February and saw the good warranty was reduced!!!! Salesman's explanation: If toyota, honda, and nissan can get away with it, why can't Mazda? I almost laughed.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I am speculating and will continue to do so until I plant my fanny in one on a lot. The last iteration of CTS didn't look so bad in pics either, but open the door and slip inside? Disappointment to the level of getting socks for your 10th birthday.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Couldn't agree with you more. If you decided to go for the CTS, than it would have been a good choice for you.

Now that you have the c280, are you still happy with your choice? How would you rate it against the others now that you have longer experience with the car?

Regards,
    OW
    I see no value in the CTS as it's American made. I wash my hands of the car at that point.FWIW, this is rooted in growing up with a father who adores American cars (and owns a bunch of classics he rubs with a diaper every weekend) and because my first car was American. Never again.

Funny, I'm from a similar background and situation, only slightly different (but same outcome and outlook).

My father did NOT like American cars, he said they were always inherently unreliable. He never purchased American since at least the year I was born. I had him help me purchase my first car which was a Dodge (I fell for the "this is the NEW and different DODGE" advertising. Never again will an American vehicle grace my garage!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I don't know what you people count as "sport" or "luxury" but any "premium" brand base model vehicle with no options is about the dumbest buy you can make.

First of all, I'm pretty sure most of the European profit is earned from the overpriced "options" you seem to love. Their base pricing is quite reasonable.

Secondly, calling a sport luxury base model "optionless" is wrong. For example, with a base A3 you still get:

17" alloy rims and wheels.
    ESP, dual auto climate control system, Front and front side air bags, ABS, EBD and all the other acronyms VW and Audi make up.
    You get the same 2.0T engine, the same transmissions, the same body, the same paints, same suspension as premium model) the only real loss is the steering wheel (in my opinion).

To me, a luxury/sport car is one that has a good structure (chassis, frame, suspension, engine, transmission, wheels, interior quality, comfortable seats). Everything else is just an added "feature." Tons of features does not make a luxury car. My 03 Accord V6 had everything standard included (including your beloved 8 way power seat) but I didn't consider it more luxurious than my Audi.
    "Simply put, I wouldn't pay my money for an American car. No matter the price. I'm a car bigot through and through."

Wow, I guess you cant be any more concise than that. Seems pretty closed minded but to each his own.

Have you ever seen or read about an American car that you like? Also, is it fair or logical to say Car A is crap because you admittedly dont like Car A because of where its made? Or is just better to say that Car A is not your cup of tea but is still a nice choice for others.

What part of the country do you inhabit (if you dont mind me asking)?
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Re - CTS video:
    My point was that the CTS can easily give BMW competition right now, and the 2008 model, if it's even 2/3 as fast as the V, it'll easily be as good as the base 5 series. This isn't you grandfather's Cadillac anymore.

Yeah - for loads less. Don't forget GM offers their credit card program/deal dollars and financing deals form time to time. So that $33-35K base CTS can be had for closer to what a $28-30K 3 series would run you.(0% or even 2.9% financing is huge - it can knock off the equivalent of 4-5K off the sales price)
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    louiswei writes: For BMW, one gets the legendary BMW performance. For MB, one gets umm... a tri-star emblem on the hood?

Aw c'mon, haven't you looked at the 2008 C-series? The tri-star is on the grille!
    circlew wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more. If you decided to go for the CTS, than it would have been a good choice for you.

Now that you have the c280, are you still happy with your choice? How would you rate it against the others now that you have longer experience with the car?

Regards,
    OW

Absolutely; smooth ride, good acceleration, behaves great in all-weather conditions. Got me through the snow easily when others were spinning out. Turns on a dime; and fits nicely in my garage and in parallel parking. I hope the reliability issues of the early 2000s are a thing of the past
    Do you feel that any car with a luxury manufacturer's badge is a luxury car regardless of content? That seems a little odd because luxury brands seem to revel in the fact that they offer so much cutting edge technology and uneccesary luxury features. What good is a luxury car that has no more features than a Honda Civic? IMHO it should take more than a badge to have a luxury ride. Maybe thats just me though. Regular cars have so many features these days that I dont think there is much reason to pay premium dollars for a stripped luxury sedan.
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pre-disposed to hating American cars the moment I get in one. Or just see them. My viewpoint obviously will influence my perception of the car. Can't be helped - I'm human and prone to emotional decisions about cars. You get into a GM vehicle and if you're blindfolded you can feel it. Ditto Mopar and Ford. End up with all of them traveling for work. They're consistent, I'll give them that much.

West Coast. My parents are from the midwest and their cars choices always reflected that; we were the only family in the neighborhood with exclusively American cars.
    With the Cadillac, you don't PAY premium dollars. :)
    Thanks,dfc3. Now we have something to work with. You seem to have taken a gamble with MB despite your perception of the quality issues. Very interesting but as long as it serves your expectations, excellent choice.

I still have the low reliability perception since my neighbor's 2004 S430 had leaking oil line. Fixed now but lingering doubts persist. Beautiful car nonetheless.

Regards,
    OW
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I'm getting sick of all this CTS, M-B, BMW bashing. All this talk about the CTS and M-B C-Class is really splitting hairs. I think some people on the boards (myself included) are sometimes guilty of exaggerating their feelings a little for the sake of making a point. The point may be valid, but IMO, the gulf that separates these cars is not the chasm that some would have you believe.

Sure the CTS isn't as tight or nimble as the BMW, but it is still a fine entry-lux sport sedan. If you like the looks and the feel, and get a screaming deal at purchase, it can be a fine choice. The C-Class is another bird altogether. The M-B (with sport suspension) is right up there with the BMW in ride/handling dynamics, it has a bank vault rigid body structure, and it has a quiet, refined demeanor. Quality has been a problem, and some interior plastics are cheap, but perhaps the new C-Class addresses these issues.

The Lexus IS didn't live up to the pre-release claims of building a better 3-series - so what? Although, when driven side-by-side with the Bimmer, the Lexus lacks steering feel and handling response, taken on it's own merits, it's still a very competent sport sedan with the bonus of high quality materials and outstanding expected reliability.

The challenge manufacturers have in this most competetive segment is choosing who they want their buyer to be, and then making a car for them. Infiniti is a fine example. The previous generation G35 was a great handling, snorting stomping, fun-to-drive sport sedan. Unfortunately, Infiniti listened to the complaints about NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) and cheap interior quality, and they "fixed" those issues - at the expense of responsive handling and tight dynamics. IMO, Infiniti has turned the G35 into a Buick and ruined it.

Yeah, we have a tendency here to describe molehills as though they are mountains. Those of us with track experience (more of us here than you think) can feel and appreciate the undeniable edge that BMW's possess over their very fine competition, and we're not willing to sacrifice even a drop of performance in return for electro-luminescent instruments or perforated leather seats. Others here are looking for a different blend of luxury and sport and probably can't tell or don't care about the subtle differences in driving dynamics of any of the cars on this list.

Bottom line - none of these cars are pure sports cars. They are too heavy and possess too many compromises for the sake of refinement, luxury, styling, room, and price. The car you buy should be the car that possesses the balance of these traits that most appeals to you and fits your lifestyle.
    You sort of made my point. You can get tons of "features" and options on a Honda Civic (including a moonroof and all), but that doesn't make the Civic a luxury car.

You can get a Hyundai with so-called luxury amenities these days. To me, a luxury car isn't the nameplate, but is more about the driving experience. The sophisticated and refined suspensions and drivetrains, the interior comfort, ergonomics, and material quality. You can get leather in a Mazda, but it doesn't even come close to the quality of the leather in an Audi. Honda's leather also falls a league behind Audi's. A lot of cars have leather wrapped steering wheels now, but they don't compare to the feel I enjoy on the Audi leather wrapped steering wheel.

Should they include a few more items as STANDARD equipment? Probably they should. Xenon lights would be nice as standard. I can actually live without leather seats though....
    I could use a 6 CD changer... that would be nice, my Honda had that. But no matter how much content you put into an economy car, it'll still never be luxury. Case in point: VW is regarded as having very nice interiors. The GTI or GLI Jetta do have a "nice" interior, but compared to the A3, falls about one league behind. A3 is luxury, GTI/GLI are nice (for an economy car).
    With the Cadillac, you don't PAY premium dollars

But you get sub-premium experience...every time, one way or the other. (experienced two Caddys...NOT PREMIUM).

Regards,
    OW
    Most of the cheap stuff is actually leather powder/goo that's sprayed and texured onto a substrate or is a thin veneer on a backing. Ford is famous for this junk - you can see it when it starts to crack and split. There's what looks like cloth behind the leather? Some white crap holding it together(or not in this case)

The Audi and luxury makes - well, SOME of them use real full-grain leather. Real cows, the same as you see in a leather jacket - and lasts 20 years or more like one, too.

I tihnk this is the biggest dissapointment for me with the new C class. It's quite obviously manufactured leather. Me - I'd get cloth seats and then pay the dealer $1200 to put in real leather. The dealership near me(I'm in Pasadena, CA) told me that for $1200, they'd re-do the mb tex/cloth crud with the Napa leather they use in the S class. They even had a car that they did it to - a 4 cylinder C class. And dear lord it felt like the car was suddenly a mini Bentley. The same almost cry to sit in it feeling a Porsche 911 has. ;)

Yeah - say no to pleather.

P.S. the CTS with the 3.6 certainly does give you performance. You just drove the wrong Cadillacs is all. :P
  • thegidgethegidge Member Posts: 4
    I understand to each his own when purchasing a car, but how can you overlook the tried and true reliability of Acura. No car holds up better, and the 2007 TL with Nav is an unbelievable automobile.

You couldn't sell me an American car cheap enough to make it worth my while (Mercedes for that matter as well).
    Do you feel that any car with a luxury manufacturer's badge is a luxury car regardless of content?

What do you consider content? To me laser cruise is just a toy. A smooth engine and great suspension make the car.

That seems a little odd because luxury brands seem to revel in the fact that they offer so much cutting edge technology and uneccesary luxury features.

Some do. BMW allows you to buy the car for what it once was: a performance sedan. Many of us lament that we can't delete other features - moonroofs for one. We want the chassis, not a sunshade.

What good is a luxury car that has no more features than a Honda Civic?

Drive a Civic at 19k and a 33k 328i. Or a 31k G35. There's a quantum leap in handling and on-road prowess, comfort, refinement.

This past weekend I drove a Mazdaspeed3. The car's insanely fun. The power's giggle inducing, the reflexes sharp and the car's light and enjoyable. At 26k loaded with every option it's a decent price. Lose the top end junk and at 22-23k before negotiating, it's a steal.

But you notice the little things. The dash, the seats, the sound insulation = all feel a little cheap. I was driving an economy car that had been tarted up to street/track performance levels. Underneath it's still an econo car and felt it. The chassis felt maxed out and car was too boy racer for me with the snappy shifter, loud exhaust and always ready to rumble engine.

IMHO it should take more than a badge to have a luxury ride.

Agreed. When I'm slicing through a 30 mph corner at 70 and the e90's bolted down, I know the engineering behind the car is on a different level from anything else I've driven recently.

Maybe thats just me though. Regular cars have so many features these days that I dont think there is much reason to pay premium dollars for a stripped luxury sedan.

Regular cars are still built for people who want numb appliances. They're not interested in throttle oversteer. They want seat heaters. I want smooth transitions in corners; they want navigation systems and bluetooth. I want to feel utterly secure at 95 on a snowy day in Switzerland; they want a 6 speed automatic that never bothers them.

In the case of buying say a MB or BMW, you're buying what went in to the car underneath the sheetmetal/plastic. Have you looked at the slalom numbers of the 335i sedan Edmunds just tested? The car nearly put up 70 mph.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=119739/pageId=119- - 930

Flipside, look at the Accord V6 and Camry V6 from a 2006 test:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=109710/pageId=693- - 05

The test price on that Camry was 31k. For that kind of money I can get into a 328i with sport package, comfort access, and xenons through european delivery. Now tell me, will most notice the car's ability to pull almost 10 mph more through the slalom? Maybe not. But to an enthusiast, that's the reason to buy the car.
  • chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    nonsesne
    Point was, the car was/is praised by the press. I was illustrating how people use the word "great" to describe cars when they can really amount to junk. Did you not say it was a great car? It's junk in my opinion and it's build in Hiroshima, Japan unlike some popular Honda/Toyotas. I have the 4/50k warranty. Bluedotguy hates American cars based on whatever experience he has had but if I say I hate Japenese cars based on my one bad experience with my 3, would I be wrong? A lot of "import" cars are built right in here in the USA so how could a car built in Japan be junk? hmmm.....
    So you find the Cobalt and the new CTS to be similar? Interesting. I would suspect less savvy people would be hard pressed to know the two interiors came from the same company. I respect the honesty you are displaying here. I find it quite interesting that one could hate car brands so much. You seem to have serious grudge againt anything american as regards to cars. So I assume based on your comments that you see no difference between GM cars (or even Cadillacs specifically) in 1987 and 2007.

Cant say that I agree but its a free country.

Dave
    A3's chassis and structure are based on a $15k economy car (as as was the old TT). I don't see how that's luxurious. My point to you all is that if I'm gonna pay the premium for a near lux car, it'd better have something to make it more special than a loaded Altima besides intangible things as "nice chassis and solid frame." We as consumers can't measure the stiffness of a frame or gauge how durable a CV joint will be. What I can do is get in a compact car that cost $33k and realize it doesn't have leather, heated seats, HIDs, etc and wonder what I'm paying for. I don't think average people who aren't obsessed with brand image can make rational sense of such a purchase. Just my opinion. My aunt's S430 doesn't have any options, but hey, it's a Benz so it must be a "nice" car. $72k+ with no HIDs and 16" wheels.
    That example works if you're an accountant trying to save your company money. However, if you're a consumer who likes cars and plans to spend time in it and enjoy it, gimme some features. Sitting in traffic, as many of us do, I don't see how knowing that your car has grade A suspension tuning eases the pain of the commute better than a CD changer to pass the time or heated seats on a cold morning. Perhaps it's just me....

Why do Europeans charge for metallic paint anyway? Can someone please explain? Another question for my information, does anyone brag about a non sport packaged BMW's handling?
    I tend to agree with fedlawman. All the cars in this forum are capable cars. I think perceptions change based on experience. The quality/reliability thing is starting to tighten up between brands and is expected to be there.

Perhaps we should all vote for the candidates by individual preference. My choices based on everything I know now would be:

BMW
    Infinity
    Audi
    Lexus
    Acura
    Cadillac

Regards,
    OW

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    what I've shopped and what I would actually pay money for today, I'd have to say:

Audi
    Infinity

The others have nothing currently I want.
    I agree with your post, fedlawman. I chimed in because I think a lot of these cars are very similar. I posted the little differences that got me to buy the C-series rather than the CTS or 3-series (didn't try a G35). In my mind, they are little differences - and people rate their importance differently.

I am a little surprised that people are saying the C-class is the most inferior, and not in the same class, etc. For me, it was (is) the best car of the group.

Its possible I'll be speaking a different tune 2 years from now, but in the first 11 mos of ownership, I've had zero problems and only good things.
    So, Circlew, you wouldn't even consider MB to be even under consideration?
    "if you're a consumer who likes cars and plans to spend time in it and enjoy it, gimme some features."

I agree AND disagree with you.

I agree that if all you do is sit in rush hour traffic 2 hours every day, you don't need a 3-series, CTS, TL or any other sporty sedan. A 4 cylinder Camry is just as refined and comfortable, and has the leather seats, Sat-Nav, and laser-guided cruise control you crave.

I believe that an ELLPS is supposed to be for the person that wants comfort, quality, safety, and luxury for their M-F carpool, but also enjoys attacking Mulholland Drive or attending an occasional HPDE on the weekend. There is no better car on the road for doing both very well than an ELLPS.

Now, the difference between the BMW 3-series and the Cadillac CTS is relatively small. If you never drive above 8/10ths of your cars (or your own) capabilities, you'll never notice the difference - just pick the one that has the looks/driving feel you like. OTOH, if you do decide to raise the fun up a couple of notches, you will quickly separate the wheat from the chaff.

The overboosted, lightweight steering of the CTS (or IS350 for that matter) makes the car feel very nimble and responsive at 8/10ths. At 9/10ths, the lack of feedback and light touch require extra concentration and minute steering corrections from the driver - now the car is beginning to feel "twitchy" and unstable. At 10/10ths, it can be downright scary (in reality, thanks to the traction nannies, it'll just push and decelerate).

For 90% of drivers who are shopping this segment, I say, just stay below 8/10ths and enjoy your Lexus, Cadillac, Acura, etc.
    BMW
    Infiniti
    Audi/VW

Would jump to Mazda or Subaru before any of the following:
    Acura
    MB
    Lexus
    Lincoln
    Saab
    Caddy
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "Intellichoice figures in my previous post were for 2007 cars, not 2004. They are best estimations of what an average owner can reasonably expect, not numbers based on your own personal cars and your one person experience."

The figures I quoted were ACTUAL KBB trade-in values for comparably equiped 2004 models TODAY. They weren't my personal figures. And they weren't some hypothetical estimate of future resale values.

"In the case of CTS/TLS the target prices were CTS $31,302 and TLS-S $36,504."

Again, I think you're way the heck off on an apples to apples comparison. The MSRP of a CTS is $41,000+/- for a car with most - but not all - of the features found in a base TL w/ Nav. The base TL MSRP is $36,000+/-. Why don't you compare a TL-S to a CTS-V? If you are telling me that a CTS with an MSRP of $41k could be purchased for $10k off at $31.3, well then that's almost a good deal. A bast TL with a MSRP could be purchased for about $2k more than that, but would still be worth $5k more in 3 years.

Slice, dice, and fry the figures any way you want. In the real world, GM has horrible resale and Cadillac brings up the rear. Any Japanese or German premium car will have considerably higher resale as a percentage of it's purchase price. These aren't my figures and can be easily verifiable by looking at current resale values.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    What are you talking about - the order cars that you would like to drive off a cliff? ;)

I seem to recall that in spite of owning what I consider to be an excellent car - BMW 330i - you have little nice to say about the direction BMW has gone with respect to size and style? And several times claimed that BMWs were poorly built cars - giving your lenghty list of problems as evidence. Now you have elevated Audi and VW to an upper tier with BMW. Egads! Have you given in completely to self torture? :surprise:

We are generally in the same camp in this forum, but as much as I wish my TL 6-speed were RWD, the only car I would definitely put ahead of it if I were to be ELLPS shopping today is the 335i. I might give the G35 sport a try, but Infiniti still seems to employ the committee approach to design and styling. The ELLPS Audis are way too fat and VW, Mazda and Subaru are, at best, decent economy cars, not ELLPS. I don't know how to drive a slushbox, so Lexus is out.
    Are very important. Economy car's do not have any BMW or Audi-like suspension tuning.
    I seem to recall that in spite of owning what I consider to be an excellent car - BMW 330i - you have little nice to say about the direction BMW has gone with respect to size and style? And several times claimed that BMWs were poorly built cars - giving your lenghty list of problems as evidence. Now you have elevated Audi and VW to an upper tier with BMW. Egads! Have you given in completely to self torture?

My excuse: they're more fun to drive than the other cars listed in this segment.

...but as much as I wish my TL 6-speed were RWD

We took out a TL Type-S about 3 weeks ago. The car was...large for our tastes. Very big, very heavy and it felt that way.

The ELLPS Audis are way too fat

A3 is about 3250 lbs - far leaner than anything in ELLPS arena right now.

and VW, Mazda and Subaru are, at best, decent economy cars, not ELLPS.

I was making a point that I'd altogether abandon ELLPS before getting any of the other cars in this segment.
    Which is a reason why I took the MB C280 over non-German options.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Or, if you only drive at 5/10ths, you can buy a used Hyundai like mine and be happily bored.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    In all the years he's been posting here, blueguydotcom has always been his own car's worst critic, no matter what he's driving. ;)
    Or take the bus...
    I was pretty darn nice to my e46 - I wouldn't lie about its problems - but I really enjoyed that car on a daily basis.
    Yes, it is amazing to me that some people think a 6 CD changer makes a car more luxurious than a superior suspension.
    No hab, you don't get off so easy.
    First of all, the forum here is about new ELLPS for sale now, not comparisons of 3 year old cars which could be purchased now.
    Second, here is YOUR original quote back to which I refer:
    "...A CTS is expected to depreciate more than $22k over the first 3 yrs. My TL has depreciated less than $9k over that time..."
    ..$9000 depreciation for your TL.?
    $22,000+ for the CTS.?
    Where the heck did you get YOUR figures for that post? Those are the ones that sound so ridiculous to me.
    And yes I realize the TL at a target purchase price of $36,504 has a few things the $31,302 CTS does not. Namely, navigation, moonroof, electric passenger seat, and fancy radio. If you ad those things, except for the passenger seat the target price for CTS becomes $36,453, but with no big change in 5 year ownership costs. And, at that price the CTS has some equipment that the TL does not. But hey, they are neither both apples nor both oranges; they're not identical cars so each has some traits the other does not, like which wheels are driven and engine torque at lower RPMs.
    Big deal!
    Admit it, your $9K/$22K+ figures were YOUR own wild opinion based on YOUR own imagination, not substantiated by any published data.
    Third, the CTS-V is a much more powerful performance car which will blow your tame, though refined TL out of the water in all high performance tests possible, as well it should with a target price of $48757.
    Remember, I'm talking about average costs for average owners, not superman deals that an average person does not get. I'm not figuring depreciation for the Cadillac from MSRP and depreciation on the Acura from your superman purchase price, as you may have done either. Let's try to be fair in the comparison, ok?
    Oh yeah, and if you check my posts you'll see I HAVE been comparing a TL type S to the Cadillac CTS 3.6. The CTS-V would trounce the TL-S performance so easily it would not be fair.
    By the way, Intellichoice rightly considers the CTS and the TL-S both near luxury sedans.
    The mighty CTS-V is categorized as a Sport Sedan.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    But you don't disagree with my comment, right? :P

I really respect you for that, by the way...
    I don't know how to drive a slushbox, so Lexus is out.

Aw, come on, it's easy...

1. start the car as you normally would with your TL 6-speed and 911S.
    2. Step on the brake and gently shift the shifter into D (R if you are backing up).
    3. Release the brake, step on the accelerator then off you go...

:P
    Guess hab was a little too subtle in his humor for you?
    hird, the CTS-V is a much more powerful performance car which will blow your tame, though refined TL out of the water in all high performance tests possible

Yeah but umm...last I checked, CTS-V is not, and I repeat NOT, an ELLPS.

Also, as for the TL-S I think most will agree with me that it's just a TL with a bigger engine and sport-tuned suspension but NOT a factory tuned sports sedan like the -V, M and AMG.