Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Also got an OnStar demo in a 9-7x. Got a visor cap for doing so. Did the exit survey and got a t-shirt and some year old JDPowers data on GM.

-Brian
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    was a disappointment this year; fewer competitor cars, shorter course, worse food, and normal for South Florida, lots of rain which cut the event short (of, course, it would have been perfect to show off their AWD capabilities); good thing, good bag with McCartney's new CD and an older one, and a Zagats Guide in leatherette case.
    Serge
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We knew about the Tiida coming here as a Versa, but Nissan will also bring the Cube (3rd time they've changed their minds).

That means they'll have competitors to the xA and xB, priced below the Sentra.

I'm not convinced that Subaru could compete in that price segment, with AWD being a big cost penalty, but still, it's interesting that others are betting on this niche.

-juice
    They'll go from 2 mpg to 2.01 mpg. LOL

Actually, just kidding, they can potentially get the same % or more improvement, and given they use more fuel and often go more miles, they can actually break even sooner.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    was wondering who is the single person that bought the one single domestic truck from suzuki?

that is rite, they only sold 1 domestic truck but they beat izuzu who sold 2 import trucks last sept and sold zero this sept.

never thought i would see the day when maybach would outsell those guys lol
    Probably the Vitara being phased out, I imagine. That's when you get those odd ball statistics, when something is basically out of production already and they only sell left overs.

The 2 import trucks from Isuzu must have been 2 left over Troopers. The Rodeo and Axiom were domestic.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Announced today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB112850275576560454.html?mod=home_whats_news_us

Toyota to buy partial stake in Fuji.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    On the surface i think this is great news. Need to think a bit more what it means for both companies. Ideally it will be a win-win for both Subaru and Toyota.

I wonder what that means in terms of the next Saabaru(s)? Go or no-go?

Bob
    Bob - the WSJ article states that an upcoming SAAB crossover announced last year is now dead - I presume that means the 9-6X. Fuji is taking a $50 million charge off to account for the cancellation. Fuji will continue to make the 9-2X.

GM walks away with $7-800 million dollars when they need it most. Toyota is only buying 8.7% of Fuji as part of this as they already hold close to 48% of the JDM market - they don't want to incur the wrath of an anti-trust investigation in Japan.

I see Subaru getting better access to hybrid components and Toyota getting access to better AWD systems for the Lexus line. AWD is becoming a must have in the premium and above segments. At least that's what I hear from the Subanistas.

Perhaps we'll see a bigger Legacy based on the Camry platform. :D
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Perhaps we'll see a bigger Legacy based on the Camry platform

Gee, don't they kind of look alike from the back already? ;) Rob M
    Good point - they do look alike.

I can see it now. The Legacy XL GT with Asymmetrical AWD (left front and right rear only) equipped with automatic only (like most Camrys and the direction Subaru is leaning) and the sport tuned suspension of the Camry.

Running and ducking!!

Perhaps the Subaru Tacobaja - wouldn't that be a nice idea.
    The W.O.W. Concept, which stands for "wonderful openhearted wagon," to be shown at the Tokyo show.

A special crate for dogs in the glove apartment allows owners to interact with their pets while driving. A bigger crate pops up from the floor in the back seat area and can be folded back into the floor when it's not needed. For even bigger dogs, just buckle them up with a special seat belt to the floor. The W.O.W comes with removable, washable, rollout flooring and has wide sliding doors to keep dogs happy.

Bob
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

But where do you store the dog biscuits? Sirius (my Pharoah Hound/Kelpie Cross) is a regular companion in my Kluger and we keep a store of dog biscuits in the glove box and a folding water bowl in the boot (trunk to most of you).

She would not approve of thi dog-crate idea. Her place is draped over a child or two for their warmth and her comfort.

Cheers

Graham
    Not sure that Annie, our 95 lb. Golden, will fit into a glove compartment. Now juice's "dog-cat hybrid" Hadji will surely fit! ;)

Bob
    Just for all the pot-smoking Subie hippie owners!

http://just-auto.com/nd.asp?art=49557&dm=yes

Wonder if this was part of the FHI/Subaru alliance deal, as the timing would certainly suggest it was?

Bob
    You gotta love the wacky concepts at Tokyo, but this one ranks up there with the crazies. Wow. I mean, W.O.W. :)

Hadji disapproves of the slippery wood floors, incompatible with pet transport.

I disapprove of the white seats, with a dog that sheds black hair - nightmare.

Nice try, but thumbs way down.

-juice
    I went to my 2nd of 3 driving events at Arlington Park in Illinois today. Totally different atmosphere compared to the GM show. This was very upscale and high tech.

The courses were short like the others have been, but still fun. They periodically stopped action to 'showoff' a real dragrace of the RX400h vs. the X3 and the SRX. We even saw them race the GS vs the 530i in one of the courses. ESPN golf analyzer thing was there, massages, and a bunch of food that I have no idea what it really was.

Got spoiled using the power tilt/telescopic wheel and auto power up and down windows.

IS250 AWD: new vehicle, exterior is mazda6-like, quite a nice handler, surprising
    IS350: non-AWD, feels more powerful but it really isn't necessary, still surprisingly nice
    GS430: I've always been fond of the looks of this Lexus. Too bad, it was dissapointing, heavy feel, not sporty, much too quiet.
    RX400h: WOW, how strange to accelerate with no motor! First ride in any hybrid, this really was incredible how it did it's thing.
    RX330: probably should have driven this before the 400h. Feels tall and heavy.
    LX470: was able to take this to a side incline crawl (oh the excitement!). Feels very tall, quite roomy.
    GX470: probably the best fit for this motor, still feels tall.
    SC430: sorry, this is not worth $60k. Could fit 4 easier into the Saab 9-3 convertible, and that was more fun to drive. The SC feels like a convertible for Buick owners.
    LS430: big boat feel, quiet, non-eventful drive.

Also drove a MB E500, BMW 530i, and BMW 330i. On the way out, across from where I parked was a Porsche 911 and a Lotus Elise.

-Brian
    I like the idea of that vehicle also. It might be a tad small for us, though.

-juice
    We'll see. Generally speaking, Americans complain about turbo lag and a lack of throttle response, especially from small displacement engines. They'd rather have a torquey V8 geared really tall vs. a short-geared 4 banger for the most part.

Subaru should work on tweaking the fuel efficiency of the 2.5T engines, the only real achilles heel they have.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Last week in the Seattle area, a 1994 SVX was used in a televised high-speed car chase, which included the driver going off-road and driving through a golf course. :surprise: The driver was eventually captured after parking in a driveway and fleeing on foot.

The SVX's owners received less than they had hoped from their insurance company and so have decided to sell the now-infamous (locally, anyway) vehicle on eBay.

You can read the story and see video footage of the chase here: http://www.komotv.com/news/story_m.asp?ID=39591
    The story, including the owners' decision to sell on eBay, has been picked up by Associated Press.
    http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/219660
    At least these folks are trying to turn the OJ-like chase scenes featuring their car into something good, and being humorous about it at the same time. They're even trying to sell the screwdriver the guy used to break in & hotwire it.
    Well, since future Saabs will no longer be related to Subies, I guess this news now belongs here in this thread.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=13163&ref=archive

Bob
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Hey, anyone here with a lot of auto-x experience? I was thinking about trying it (as well as getting out on a track- taking one of those performance driving schools- I found one nearby)

Any suggestions on what to get? Old Supra, RX-7, 240 sx, miata? Neon or Impreza? Old BMW?

Thanks!

tom
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    For a driving school, your Legacy GT would be great.

I would stay away from FWD cars for auto-cross, it can be quite a handicap. I have seen quite a few people running 2.5H4 Imprezas and WRXs.

Are you looking to get something and run with it, or do you want to spend some time tinkering with wheels/tires, suspension, etc.... ?

Craig
    Thanks Craig

Part of this is your fault, Craig. :D I got to thinking about your S2000 and how fun it'd be to get into auto-x. I'm thinking about trying some events with my GT (if I still have it) but I'm also thinking about building up a pure track car/auto-x car, but I don't want to spend $100k doing it! Just for fun, you know? I saw a mazdaspeed miata which might be fun to start with- or the dealer had a '02 Miata with only 7K miles. What to do?!?!?

Maybe I could run my minivan? Do they have a minivan category? :D

tom
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    tom,

Colin and Lucien here have quite a bit of auto-x experience. I'm sure one of them will chime in soon.

Ken
    Feel free to blame me and the S2K (we'll all get more mileage out of it)!

I am sure a Mazdaspeed Miata would be an awesome car, if you fit in it (I didn't unfortunately). Even a base Miata would be good. S2Ks are also good autocross cars, but can be difficult to drive (especially pre-2004). I like the idea of an AWD car because it is something that you can grow into -- will handle well and break away predictably as a beginner, and then you can really push it as you advance.

Craig
    A few weeks back, I saw the guy who bought my WRX. His wife took it to auto-X in July and had a blast. She spent the morning with an SCCA instructor and then went on to place near the top of the field later in the atfernoon. I had put 17" wheels and Bridgestone RE-750 summer tires on the car and it handled exceptionally well (never auto-x'ed it myself though).

Craig
    You can get a decent Miata for $4 grand, and it's a great car to learn on. It can even be competitive on a budget. Caveat - you might need a roll bar.

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I autocrossed seriously for about 1.5 seasons and sporadically maybe another season and a half.

Buying a Miata will place you among a great many exceptional drivers and they are affordable. I would not get a FWD car. They can be competitive-- can even dominate some classes-- but they are no fun. The autocross season is done so maybe you can see if anyone in local clubs is selling a vehicle that you could use. I wouldn't buy anything beyond a Street Prepared car (which is pretty dang tricked out for autocross) except maybe a F125 kart, but you might find a handful of cars to pick from.

But at first I would just drive whatever you have available to you and see what you think of the sport in general. At worst you'll use up a few thousand miles' worth of life on your tires and brake pads :) --nothing else will really wear except the clutch, autocross is honestly not *that* hard on a car.

How well your local club(s) run events could honestly make or break it for you. I find autocross a poor investment of time, money and effort but if I had all of those to spare, I do enjoy it. :D In my experience it is typically 4-5 runs at 30-45 seconds each, set against a backdrop of at least 4 hours and often more like 8 hours invested. It is a nice rush for the short time that it lasts and you do learn some valuable car control skills and things about your daily driver (if you use it for autocross).

~Colin
    Thanks Colin, Craig, Juice, and Ken. The 8 hours of time puts it into more perspective. Maybe I should aim more at getting on a local track a few days a year.

Yeah, I figure in the off season I could make plans about what to get. Maybe I'll try an event or two in my car first. I guess a Miata is sounding better than an RX-7 or Supra. I know someone selling their 240sx- I figure $3k for an SR20det conversion should make it competitive. But maybe I don't really need the engine.

Maybe I just need to borrow my dad's car a couple of weekends a year. . .

tom
    That would be a new platform. V8 in something that small? Wow.

For a second I thought they might use the Golf Plus since that VW will make it to the US as an SUV.

-juice
    They say it'll use the Q5 underpinnings. Is that based on the A6?

And of course Porsche will come up with another great name - Pequeno sounds good.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    From the other website (he that shall no be named!), a link to the F1 Renault V10 engine playing "we are the Champions"
    http://www.renaultf1.com/en/season/china/index.php?news=tcm:3-41607
    18,500 Rpm sounding sweet!
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    An experience I had today that other Subaru owners (especially the turbo crowd) might appreciate...

Pulled my 06 FXT up to a red light today - the left lane - with the right lane open next to me (remember this, it will be important in a minute). This light is notorious for quick starts because about 1/2 mile down the road, the right lane must merge with the right and what was a straight city street becomes a rolling country highway. As you can imagine, people in the right lane try to get past as many left laners as possible before merging. Luckily there's usually not any cross traffic to interfere.

So I'm sitting in the left lane at the red light, anticipating that whatever car should pull up next to me will try to beat me off the line and pull ahead. I'm no boy racer (anymore - as evident by the lawnmower I'm hauling home in the cargo area), but I'm ready to pounce if necessary, if for no other reason than to let the FXT breathe a little. ;)

I glance in my rearview mirror only to see a brand new Mercedes CLS coupe approaching me in the other lane. I couldn't help but laugh at how screwed I was about to be. It was one of those moments when you just know the car gods are laughing at how they've set you up. Anyway, I'm guessing it was the CLS500 pushing 302hp, because the outcome would have been greatly amplified if it were the 469hp CLS55 AMG.

I was almost ready to surrender before the light even changed, but then it struck me that this was my chance to see what the other car was capable of - driver willing, of course. And was he ever! I think I surprised him a little, but he managed to get in front once he decided to put the peddle on the floor (not wanting to be embarrassed by an awkward looking wagon, I imagine). Truth be told, I even began cheering him on.

My consolation? Mine cost half as much. And I was hauling a lawnmower. :)
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    It's nice to have the power, but not the look isn't it? People never suspect a wagon of having that type of capability.

Mark
    We didn't talk much about this, so I'll mentoin a couple that caught my attention.

MPV - is this any bigger than the 5? Doesn't look much bigger. Mazda needs to distinguish it more from the small vanlet.

That Mini concept is a train wreck.

New EVO should look good. It's like they predicted where Acura was heading, then put an Audi grille on it. But the results are good.

Outlander gets a Tribeca-like D-pillar. Since the RAV4 did also, you wonder where the next Forester will go. It will be me-too if they do that. They might want to stick with a boxy design.

Nissan Wingroad looks like an Armada's baby brother. Cute.

Toyota bB doesn't look nearly as good as the concept Scion showed at the NY show. Too bad. It kind of looks like they merged the xA and xB, but the result is nothing new.

Toyota Estima - clean it up and this could compete with the Mazda5.

Polo GTI - VW needs a car to slot under the Jetta since sales are down. They need a place holder to move the Jetta and Gold up a notch in buyers' minds.

-juice
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    MPV - is this any bigger than the 5? Doesn't look much bigger. Mazda needs to distinguish it more from the small vanlet

Yes. The new MPV (especially) is slightly bigger than it's predecessor. Remember the M5 is based on the 3 platform. In the Zoom Zoom event they had an M5 on the track... though it was a slushbox, I was impressed on how well it handled. I mean, I REALLY tossed this mini-ute around and apart from chewing the front sidewall tires, it showed it's own on taking the beating.

Now the MX-5... all I will say is WOW!!!!
    Going to the Zoom-Zoom Live on Saturday, should be a blast!

The size of the new MPV in Japan (while it is sized like the 6) doesn't matter, it's not coming here. '06 will be the last you'll see of the MPV outside of Japan. Mazda is going the way of the crossover with the CX7 to start with.

-Brian
    Does that mean there won't be a Mazda to buy in the U.S. if you want to seat more than the six people (if everyone skooches together) the 5 holds ?
    For now it looks like that. Supposedly there will be something bigger than the CX-7 (which will probably seat 5), but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

-Brian
    The Zoom Zoom Live event comes to DC I think on 11/12. I'm registered, and I'll save a slot for Bob if he can come.

-juice