Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The "Outback Sedan" forum was started back on August 20, 2001, and already this new "Cafe" forum (2.5 days old) has more posts...

I wonder what that means?

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It is intersting that the Element's seats fold up and to the side, instead of into the floor.

lark: no way, no how. If you hadn't responded I would have assumed you were out sick or something. ;-)

Bob: that means BOTH Outback sedan owners aren't as talkative as we are! LOL

-juice
    are BOTH Outback sedan owners from Florida? ;)

Bob
    Scion bbX (Toyota's youth-brand) just announced at NY. Hmmm... seems like I've seen this shape before, somewhere??

Bob

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036529

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036528

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036527

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036526
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    We have officially banned them here in Florida!
    Actually, they've had boxy cars in Japan for years. The Model X is just the first one deemed big enough for the USA.

The Scion bbX (bulletin board crossover?) looks a lot smaller, with 4 conventional doors.

Compare the two, and I see people buying many more Model Xs, due to the more useful size and the stand-out features.

-juice
    I don't know what kind or size of powerplant the Scion has, but the Honda Element uses the (useful) 2.4L engine from the CRV, as well as the CRV RT-4WD (or FWD).

Bob
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Thanks Edmunds! Now I can share! I learned a new noun today. It's thank-you-ma'am. It refers to those "bumps in the road" that we often come upon. I've tried (successfully) to use it today three times. It's kind of fun. Like - "I was having a great day. I did have to deal with a challenging thank-you-ma'am"

Oh well - it was fun to watch people react to it!

Patti
    Bob: I bet the Scions get the 1.5l from the Echo. I really don't see how dorky, tiny cars like the Echo are going to make a big impact in the US. Young buyers are going to be more into Matrices than Scions, IMO.

The ccX has a saggy rear, while the Matrix looks like it's had a major face lift, looking much younger, more aggressive. ccX had better be cheap.

Bob: did you see that the Element has a rubber floor? I wonder if you could hose it out? That would be hilarious. You'll recall that was one thing I asked for in Future Models a while back.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They should make em look r!cy then the younguns will buy em up. Afterall 95% of them are into show not go...

-mike
    http://www.autonews.com/page.cms?pageId=191

Most interesting (to me) are the updated Mitsubishi Montero, with a more powerful 3.8L engine, tweaked styling, and larger/wider tires (wonder if they addressed the handling issue?); and the Outlander, another new competitor for the Forester...

Juice, yes, I did notice the rubber floor mat of the Element. And—still no word from Subaru...

Bob
    You're right, paisan. Put clear lens tail lights, body effects/spoilers, factory window tint, stuff like that. Go after the Civic market.

Civic sells to 34 year old buyers (median age - *). Corolla buyers are 42! That's middle aged, for a compact!

No wonder Toyota is worried about it. A 25 year old isn't going to buy a middle-aged person's car.

Hmm, the Monty gets active traction control, but they didn't mention stability control. That would be a good idea, to quell the fears (true or not, it hurts sales). I've always liked the muscular curves. The face-lift looks a little worse, IMO.

Outlander? Half Outback, Half Highlander? That name is blatant plaigarism. Brother.

Cute, though. But just 140 hp? That'll be a slug with AWD. Seems like more of a Matrix AWD competitor than anything.

-juice

* source: AutoPacific (via KBB.com)
    Too curvy IMHO. I kind think of the new monty like the new impreza. Give me the old skins with the new underpinnings/engine. My favorite monty was the last year or 2 of the previous generation. with the nice flared fenders in gun-metal color.

-mike
    The fenders are curvy, but the main body is boxy and tall. I think stability control would go a long way. Sales are very poor right now.

At least the Outlander will be made in Japan. Lots of Mitsus have become Chrylser clones, and quality has taken a nose dive. I recall the Galant was the #1 most reliable sedan a few years back, now it's near the bottom.

-juice
    DSM is merging just about everything except for the trucks. I think the outlander will evnetually become a DSM product.

-mike
    look like "Plus 2" units. The wheels look like 18" with 50 or 55 section tires.

Bob
    I doubt they are running on 18" rims, maybe 17"

-mike
    The current Monty uses 16" wheels, with 70 section tires. The wheels in the picture appear to be more than 1" larger than 16." In any case, the tires are much wider, and I would also assume the wheels are much wider. Those changes alone might be enough to counter any handling problems. I wonder if CR will re-test the new vehicle?

Bob
    If it's made in Japan it won't be a DSM product, at least at first. If it becomes popular, I bet you're right, they'd move production here.

-juice
    Probably won't re-test it their usual MO...

they could bump the tires up to like 275-70-16 That is what I run on the Trooper now and it is a bit more stable than it was before. Once I get my front torsion bars replaced with heavier duty ones it will have even less body roll.

-mike
    They should. I usually defend them, but they should have re-tested the Trooper, and should take another look at the Montero, too. Both are reliable so even an average review would earn them a recommended rating.

Read some text on the Nissan Murano. That thing will get more than 240hp! AWD, 7 step CVT, and 18" rims. Now there's a contender.

The Outlander is just a "me-too" entry. Murano should offer some spunk, and a cure for the Altima's torque steer with its AWD. I hope they also fix the too-light steering of the Altima, and the notchy shifter (if they even offer a manual).

I wonder what it'll cost, though. $30 grand is too much if it has the same interior as the Altima. At $25 grand it would be a bargain.

-juice
    It looks to be a worthy competitor for the Highlander and Pilot.

Bob

http://TheCarConnection.com/index.asp?article=4766&sid=176&n=156
    That isn't much of a picture. Any others out there? From that angle you can't even get an idea of the basic shape. I wonder if it'll be boxy and roomy inside.

-juice
    I really like the unusual 2-tone treatment seen here, and on other concepts recently, especially that found on the new Bugatti ultra sports car.

Bob

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036577

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036581

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_036583

More photos can be found here:

http://www.wieck.com/public/index.html
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Anyone get their recent CR issue? There's a small SUV comparison of the CR-V, VUE and Liberty in there.

Despite the improvements in the CR-V, they still complain about it's road noise *and* the Forester is still their top pick! :-) In fact, the CR-V is 4th on their list after the Forester, RAV and Santa Fe.

Ken
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    On the subject of the Pilot. Much of Honda of late has been too much into family resemblence. The Pilot is an example. I don't dislike it and it should be a really fine ride. After all if it is a less expensive version of the MDX how can you lose? So it makes sense to let the more dynamic style stay with the MDX. It should sell very well. Price point is excellent for that class and the Highlander will get some very tough competion.

Murano. Well it is not quite the concept car but that would have been hard ot pull off. Thank heavens that Nissan has gone from the most boring japanese company to one of the boldest. It honestly reminds me of the Porsche Cayenne. I think it is safe to say that it will be more into performance and luxury than off road capability. I think it too will do well and I see it as a real threat to the MDX and RX 300 in terms of its mid luxury status. However it has in its styling an appeal for those who really want to be noticed. Don't care for the chrome grill but other than that it is very nice. Mechanically it sounds great. Note that they call their stability system VDC?

Honda element. Gotta love Honda for giving us the Model X just as I remember it. Very daring. I hated the styling then and I do now, but I love Honda for doing it. What I do love about it is the concept. Guess the styling helps the engineering here. Can you imagine what you can cram into that box? The suicide doors and the folding seats will make loading this thing state of the art. This is the lifestyle vehicle to the max. Practical beyond belief and price at 16 to 21 k will keep it in very short supply. TWRX
    I agree with most of what you say. The only thing I disagree on is: I DO like the styling of the Honda Element. I see it as being "pure" and to the point. It makes no pretension of being sleek or streamlined. It is exactly what it is, and nothing more; anything less would be dishonest and phony.

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    The Element still looks like it is made of Lego. It may be honest Lego, but Lego it is IMHO.

Ross
    It also reminds me of the wooden block cars you may have had when you were a toddler.

People who think of "sleek and streamlined" as the only school of acceptable design, won't understand or appreciate this car's looks.

You'll probably think I'm nuts, but I think some of the best designed vehicles out there are farm tractors. I feel the same about ATVs too. The design is pure and to the point. Everything is there for a reason. They're not "styled," but "designed." There is a difference...

I subscribe to the old "Form follows Function" theory. It should be designed to make it function better, not look better.

Bob
    Looks like a mini- G-wagon of course it isn't really related to it at all but reminds me of it.

-mike
    Wasn't that DN-X just like the Honda Dual Note concept?

Ken: cool. Was the RAV4 ahead of the Forester? The scores look tied, so I'm wondering if they changed the order.

twrx: yeah, the G35's stability control system is also called VDC. Guess Subaru didn't register the trade mark. Murano does look solid, and I bet it's $30 grand tops. The Cayenne is more than double that cost.

Lego, LOL! I can appreciate what it is. At least it is distinctive in a functional way. The Aztec was (ugly as sin) distinctive, but in a non-functional way, deleting the 3rd row from the platform it was based on.

-juice
    Interesting that Honda won't try to be a full-line manufacturer like Toyota has become.

Pacifica ought to be popular. It's basically a 300M wagon with 3 rows of seats. Odd that it only seats 6, though. The Pilot will seat 8.

If the Pilot LX is $26k, the EX will be $28.5k, and an EX with leather would be $30k. Problem is, tack on $775 for a 7/100 warranty, and add MD tax, and you're really pushing it. Plus another $500 for the tow package in my case.

That's $32,800. No can do.

-juice
    Here are some Murano photos:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com/cars/cars.html

I disagree with most of the text (Mazda 6 is gorgeous, what is he talking about?), and wouldn't trust the source, but at least there is a nice collection of photos.

The Murano isn't boxy enough. It looks small. If the price is really $30-35k it'll be eaten alive by the much bigger Pilot.

Bob: check out the Malibu, too.

-juice
    That wagon appears to be on the extended wheelbase, that I mentioned a few days ago.

The Murano is also a real looker. Nissan sure is on a roll theses days... Who'd a thunk it a few years ago?!

I posted this site about a year ago, and I remember a lot of the Crew thought these were phony images.

Bob
    Bob I see where you are coming from with the "pure" styling. Not quite my cup of tea but I also love the fact that what you saw last year is what we are getting. I do love the interior styling. Beyond the obvious flexiblity there have got to be so many trick features in there you'd probably lose count. (It's a Honda--remember the CRV picnic table.) I don't see replacing the WRX wagon anytime soon but of the three SUV's I mentioned it is the one I would pick. 1. it has a 5 speed. 2. It is way clever. 3. no doubt the most efficient 4. cult car! 5. WOW, the price!

Bruce (TWRX)
    Anyone see that Honda finally has the specs on the new Civic Hybrid. I wonder about the price. Features like auto climate control sound like its features list is lock step with Toyota's Prius. Right now the Prius and the Insight are the same price but of course the Prius is more practical. Wonder how much Honda can afford to price the Civic above the Insight? I would really like to see the Subaru hybrid change from concept to reality. Can you imagine the "beauty of all wheel drive" at 50 mpg +?
    TWRX
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Apparently, Pontiac has plans to bring a restyled Holden Monaro, a Corvette-powered coupe in Australia, as the 2003 GTO for North America...

Ken
    Bob: yep, but had we seen photos yet? At least not those.

Element just needs to seat 5, that's all that's missing that is significant.

twrx: $20 grand for the Civic hybrid. There are a few options, but not many. Still, one mag calculated it would take 10 years of driving for the fuel savings to make up for the price difference.

But I like the range it offers - that's what's truly useful.

GTO a go-go. Lutz is the man.

-juice
    juice, where did you get the $20k for the Civic hybrid? The Insight costs that so are they going to lower the cost of it or discontinue it?

Questions questions

TWRX
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    and just waded thru them in one sitting. Still enjoying Williamsburg, and taking the family to Bush Gardens in the morning. Does anyone remember who posted photos of driving thru Colonial Wb in the snow??

I still plan on going to the NY Auto Show maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

Steve
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    that made me chuckle...
    not so much about the plate, just what it's on.
    Ford Taurus Wagon :D

-Dave
    Pages 3 & 4 have some images from the Subie stand, with a cut-away of the new Forester.

Bob

http://www.autosupermart.com/ny/nyautoshow/
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    looks good, Bob. Clever the way they lightened the body. But in view of our winters here, I'm going to have to buy a model with doors on it.
    that's how they removed the 90 pounds on the new model. ;)

Bob