Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I bet if you drove the new Ody, your opinion will change (for the better). :)

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'd be counting on that being the case.

Ody won an Edmunds comparo, but then Motor Trend picked the Sienna SE over the Ody, even for handling. That Ody had smaller wheels and fewer gears on its trans as handicaps, so perhaps that made up the difference. The Touring would have the bigger rims and 6EAT anyway.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Hopefully you added oil, too!

Hahah! I knew I forgot something!

I jest, of course. It took about 1.5 quarts (I add from a gallon bottle, so I'm not precisely sure of the amount), but there was a little registering on the bottom of the dipstick. The nice thing about pouring oil (that is stored outside) at -25F is that it pours slowly - even the 0w-30 Amsoil I use was the consistency of honey. As a result, I didn't even have to use a funnel to keep from splashing it on the engine! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    Listen to Juice ... even with a "mythical" $100,000 he's thinking "real world" ... c'mon .. isn't this what you'd buy if you just got to buy what you WANTED? rather than what you NEEDED?
    edited December 2010
    I like your list, Bob.

I think I would go with a 2011 WRX Limited 5-Door as well, most likely in Dark Grey Pearl, though I would skip the Nav. and add a bunch of other accessories such as the cross bar base, some exterior protection items, strut braces, etc., to put the price right where yours is at: $32K.

I would definitely skip the Outback, though. Nice cars, but I still can't stand to look at them.

While I would like a Frontier, the idiotic option packages that exclude one another would preclude me from opting for one this round. I like the Pro-4X trim level they added, with available manual transmission, but then you can't put any options on it from leather seating on up to moonroof and roof rack! Foolishness. :sick:

So, I'm going to have to opt for a different truck....

2011 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab in Pale Adobe Metallic two-tone, 4x4, Dually, 8' Box, 6.7L Power Stroke 4V Diesel V8 Engine, TorqShift 6-Spd Auto, O/D w/Tow/Haul Mode, 3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio, and about $6,500 in options. MSRP $61K

That leaves about $7K, which would be perfect for a 9' Heavyweight Western snow plow with appropriate accessories (mounted on the front of the truck, of course!).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    Holy cow, I had no idea it was possible to option a F-350 up to $61,000.

Holy. Cow.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Holy cow, I had no idea it was possible to option a F-350 up to $61,000

You obviously don't live in TRUCK country. These new beasties are waaaaay more fancy than anything your Dad's truck would have been. I didn't know 15 years ago either until I moved from the big city back east. OTOH, they didn't even exist 20 years ago - overpriced trucks I mean. It seemed to come on with the SUV craze.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    2011 Audi S4 w/ S-tronic automatic, sport differential, 19" wheels = $51k
    2011 VW Touareg TDI = $49k

Those prices seem low.. :surprise:

Good luck finding any in stock at those prices... (auto on the S4??)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That's msrp for both, though.

And the automatic.. heck yeah, its a DSG 7 speed. The fastest cars proved years ago that sequential gearboxes with computer-controlled clutches were better than anything a manual could offer. Since then, they've become a lot more driveable for daily use.
    I like the choices.... but, I'll still take a stick-shift for the S4..

I really liked the V-10 TDI... but, $66K was a little steep.... lol.

Saw an STi today, with vanity plates... RUH ROH :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2010
    My (new) son-in-law has a Frontier 4x4 crew cab, and I like it a lot. He's got the one with the off-road package. He's a big surfer, and takes it out onto the beach all the time.

My current WRX is the dark gray, so I opted for something slightly different. I also like the pearl white a lot.

As to the Outback, I only see it as I'm approaching it. It looks just fine from sitting in the driver's seat, which is where I spend all my time. ;)

Bob
    Yeah, VW seems to be simplifying the 3rd gen 2011 touareg. There's no V8 and the v6 tdi continues, having replaced the v10 sometime around 2008 MY. The vr6 is the only other engine now.

The thing about the S4 is that it doesn't even try to compete with them bmw m3.. the rs5 does that. The S4 is a 335is competitor, so honestly 51k is quite a lot of money for a smallish sport sedan.
    Good points, Bob!

I'm not sure I could live with a white car because it would always be brown (I live on a very dusty gravel/dirt road), but then the same is true with any car on my road, so I guess it wouldn't matter too much. The number of color options on the WRX / STi is far fewer than with the basic Impreza, but oh well!

I really like the Frontier, too. I have had experience with a couple of them ('00 and '05) and they are both very nice trucks. Very durable!

Colin, I didn't know a truck like that could be so much either, but I found out today! While I would love to have one, I doubt I ever will (new -OR- used!). I own a '76 F250 that was the top of the top of the line model with every option from the year, and I think my grandfather paid about $3,600 for it brand new. :surprise:
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Yeah, it's kinda annoying with the hand controllers. Luckily I got a Logitech force feedback wheel for Christmas a few years back- paddle shifters, but no clutch. :(

It's nice to be able to drive and just hit "restart" when you crash your million dollar race car! ;)

Colin, if you didn't like GT4 you might not like GT5- they're still updating the game like crazy and I'm sure it will be a lot better in another 6 months. But even with the flaws it's fun.

tom
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, $100k just doesn't buy what it used to.

How about:
    1. Corvette ZO-6 $74K sticker, $69k to really purchase
    2. Subaru Forester X Premium 5 spd $24k sticker, $22k purchase price

This leaves me $9k for undercoating and paint protectant! ;)

I just helped a friend buy a Forester Premium at $970 below invoice! With 1.9% financing! :surprise: I wanted to buy one myself!

tom
    My Miata- I haven't really taken many pics of it, but here's a look!

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Over the winter it will get a rollbar, new suspension, frame stiffening, and wheels/tires. :D

tom
    Saw where a guy speced out his ordered 335is... $61K... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Holy cow, I just looked at that. It is entirely possible to spec a 335is coupe into the 60s-- base price is $50k. I noticed that the 335i sedan, rated at 300 HP (compared to 320), starts at 37k but includes almost nothing and can be optioned well into the 50s.

Who's buying these things?? :blush:
    edited December 2010
    I've recently been reading that BMW has been having problems with their 3.0 turbos (335, 535, etc.), so I'd be wary of those models.

Bob
    When I bought my G I looked at 335i's. The dealer was marking down one from $57k to $47k. Even then it just didn't seem worth it. I passed on it pretty quickly.

Hmm, kinda like the Mini. A bit overpriced for what you get. But if you must have it, it will cost you. :)

tom
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It's those darn expensive Euros!!

I'm suprised that BMW hasn't added a 1 and 3 series line to Spartanburg to deal with the exchange rate.
    edited December 2010
    Very nice, Tom! Of course, we cannot see much of the car here (did you do that on purpose? I know it has to be tough to get a non-snow photo where you live...), but by the paint luster and smooth panels, I'd say it was a well-cared car. Did you say it is an '01?
    OK, Brenda, let me Dream for real, then.

Wifey is next to me and said she wants the big Lexus that parks itself. LS 460, then. Invoice is around $58-59k, leaving $41k for me.

Having just 2 cars, I'd have to get a 4 seater, so BMW 328i convertible, $40,985 invoice, but incentives would keep me below $100k.

So a Lexus LS and a 328ic.

Neither has room for luggage but in our dreams we only need to pack bathing suits anyway. And two types of footwear:

* rubber flip-flops for casual days
    * leather sandals for "formal" days.
    Nice, fun upgrades planned, too.

What year is that? NB, so must be 99 to 05 range. Tan top so I'm guessing toward the later years?
    edited December 2010
    see, now we're into 'fantasy' land ... but you can tell she's right there with you since you 'let' her have the more expensive car!

(what a good husband you are ..... cough cough suck up cough cough ... )
    Thanks Wes, yes there is a car under there. I just thought it looked fun under the 6" of snow we just got last week!

Juice- It's an '01 NB. I had a lead on a '95 but missed it by 2 days. Got a great deal on this one- it's got the sport-S package with larger brakes, strut bar, and rear diff. One of the reasons I got it cheap was the rear shocks are shot- but I was going to replace them anyway so it was a win-win situation for myself and the seller.

Once I get some more stuff done to it I'll have to post another pic.

tom
    Juice, they have some pretty nice rubber flip-flops now for more formal attire. :)

tom
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    $36k - 2011 Tribeca Limited w/ Nav & moonroof (DW really has been wanting one to replace her 2002 MPV)
    $30k - 2011 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Double Cab 6speed
    $30k - 2011 Fusion Sport AWD with Nav, SYNC, and moonroof

-Brian
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    My 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 dually SLT (mid trim level) stickered at $44K. The 2011 Crew Cab, otherwise equivalent, is $51K. A maxed out Laramie Longhorn (available shortly) is expected to set you back low 60s. Laser-etched leather costs money, ya know...

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

• lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I can't focus on it right now in this economy, but here's my $5k garage: ;)

Yesterday I parted company with my first new car ever, the 1999 Outback. Lots of memories in that car....cross country drives, 3 times to Summit Point for HPDE, one season of SCCA RallyCross, loads of road trips, etc. She was (is) great and deserves her semi-retirement in rural MD.

In return however, is this, this, this.... this land based cruise missile of a Volvo. Holy Cow. :shades:
    That's an awesome looking set of wheels for $5K!!

Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Thanks! It's 240hp, AWD, 0-60 a little north of 7 seconds and tops out at a governed 130mph. Dual zone HVAC, seat warmers, sunroof, leather/suede seats,8 speaker stereo, tailgunner seats in the way back, stock rims with Blizzaks, and those 2004 R rims with Ecstas.

previous owner, a Volvo mech, swapped out the interior bulbs for LED, also made his own HID kit for it, and blacked out the B and C pillars. Oh, and threw in Bilsteins up front, and dual exhaust in back. It even has a trailer hitch.

and it has a rear fog light :blush:
    I like it ... and it appeals to the "scrooge" in me .. LOL
    larger brakes, strut bar, and rear diff
    That's a Torsen, too, isn't it? I forget what year they switched from VC to Torsen. My 93 had a viscous coupling, but my 08 has a Torsen.
    they have some pretty nice rubber flip-flops now for more formal attire

So I'd have two rubber flip-flops and that's about it. I'd drive barefoot.
    Papa Bear - long time, no see. You been hanging out in the background quietly or what?
    Fender gap in the rear is just right, too. Can you lower the front 1/2" or so? That would look so squatted.
    Wow, again. I am not a HD truck purchaser, but I've been passingly aware they were well into the 40s due to acquaintances and extended family having them (or looking, and passing).

But that's just jaw-dropping, a $60k truck. :surprise:

Big luxury SUVs have been in that range and well higher for a long time, so I guess they figured that some folks with that kind of money also need to tow huge 5th wheel campers, small cars, etc. All at once of course! :D
    They went to Torsen pretty early with the "R" models-- maybe 95-97. My ex-wife's 00 Miata had the sport package and sounded about identical to Tom's car. Starting in 99 (I believe, this was a while ago and I no longer follow Miatae) they had some one-per-year options with unique colors and parchment (tan) tops. In 99 it was a pumpkin orange, in 00 it was plum.

My personal favorite of the NBs was the 10th anniversary edition. Gorgeous color.
    Yeah, the specials were ... special, I guess. Most NAs only had the viscous limited-slip.

It's funny, but to test if they still worked, you put the rear axle up on jacks, and turned one wheel. If the Viscous LSD was good, the other wheel would spin in the opposite direction. I guess because the axle shaft did not move and they had to offset each other's motion.
    If I were one that really needed a truck like this, I don't think I would mind too much dropping that kind of cash on one. Given their longevity, they are not something you might buy as often as a small commuter car. I could imagine purchasing one of these things, if used regularly, perhaps once every fifteen years. For my own purposes, it would be once-in-a-lifetime.
    edited December 2010
    I think they are the reason the blue collar guys who make housecalls charge $85 just to show up at your door. LOL

May as well call it a truck/fuel surcharge. ;)
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Yep, I'm a lurker! :)

-Brian
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    I am just tired of speed traps! Its unfair the way some counties plan in sucking my hard earned money. Every day I have to cross Ramsey County (where Saint Paul is), on my way from Woodbury (Washington County) to Minneapolis (Hennepin). When entering Ramsey, the limit goes on the Interstate 94 from 65 to 55 mph.

I don't think it was planned that in the mile or so that I will call the transition between counties and limits, the highway goes slightly up, so you can't see further than the top of it (I would say 400 yards). But then, when you leave the uphill, and less than a mile from the new 55 sign, (btw, just in front of the huge Harley store), you find sometimes 3 police cars inline, hitting innocent commuters. It is like the taxi cars in the airport, waiting for passengers.

It is pretty natural as a driver, in that spot, that you keep accelerated for a moment taking the uphill. Then, as every good driver knows you raise your foot and the car speed goes slowing to 55.

Thing is, I am buying a radar. Now, in Minnesota, you can't have any device stuck to windshield (illegal), as you also can't have a laser jammer. So I was thinking in buying something call "Blendmount", pretty neat, that you can install with the autodimming mirror.

My question is, if I hardwire it to the mirror (via factory fuse et all), am I at risk of losing my warranty?
    Nice Loosh. I've always liked Volvo wagons for some reason. The blacked out B and C pillars make it looke like one really long tinted window- almost like a limo.

Enjoy!

tom
    Right Juice. They switched to a Torsen in '94.

Collin- yes , that 10th AE miata is nice- I've only seen pictures of one. The 99-00 NB's seem to be popular to AutoX as they are lighter with the 1.8L engine.

tom
    Well, you could buy an Escalade Truck, and Lincoln had one for a little while.

We had a neighbor who had a big car collection and he would take his cars to car shows in a trailer pulled behind his fully loaded double cab pickup truck. I'm sure it's similar with people who have large trailerable boats as well. They can easily afford a 'cheap' $60k truck.

I'm sure it's not their bestselling model though. :)

tom