Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Enjoy it Serge. This only happens once.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Kudos, saw the pics on FB. You should be proud!
    Need vacation tips. My bro is coming up this summer and we'll drive from DC to Boston, but we've done all the cliche stuff (NYC) many times. We have a bunch of pre-teens, most 10 to 15 years old.

I'm thinking Philly, Boston, Cape Cod. Any other suggestions along the way or near those places?

It would be a driving trip, so not too much farther than Boston.

What say ye? Any must sees?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    My Boston ideas:

Boston Proper:
    Freedom Trail
    Fenway Park tour
    USS Constitution
    Duck tour

Metro West
    Lexington
    Concord
    Minuteman National Park

Metro North
    Salem Witch tour

Metro South
    Plimouth Plantation

Metro East
    Swim

Cape Cod
    Beaches
    Provincetown - it's "alternative"
    Check out the Red Jacket resort on the Cape - it's family oriented.

Rhode Island
    Newport Mansion tour
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    My daughter is headed to Boston this morning with a small contingent to represent our high school at the “Model UN” being held at Harvard. Last fall she did Model Congress at the county level, enjoyed it, and decided to take it a step further.

She’s spent the past few weeks in heavy research mode and preparing position briefs. Her subcommittee’s mission is to solve the crisis in Syria, while protecting the interests of her ‘home’ nation of Uzbekistan. Not an easy task for a landlocked country when one of your powerful allies of recent years is Russia, a nation constantly playing the spoiler in international affairs!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Already?! Where does the time go? Congrats to him and you, both!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    It's wonderful that she has these sorts of opportunities, Steve. I'm sure they will have a lasting impression upon her.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2013
    FYI: Water temp on the Cape Cod ocean beach is cold. I did not enjoy the water there because it was so cold. Might have been a bad day, who knows...

Why not take a more inland route, through PA and upstate NY? The kids would enjoy Cooperstown, NY (Baseball Hall of Fame). It's a beautiful drive up in that area, and traffic's not too bad.

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    FYI: Water temp on the Cape Cod ocean beach is cold. I did not enjoy the water there because it was so cold. Might have been a bad day, who knows...

Wasn't a bad day - it's the North Atlantic after all. Water temps in the low 60's in August is the norm.

If you thought the Cape was cold - try Maine. That's cold!!
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Congrats Serge!

Wow, that's so fast! Didn't he just start college a few weeks ago. . . ;)

What are his future plans??

tom
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Take the "circle route" coming through NJ for some better vistas on the way. Come up the NJ Turnpike to exit 10, then take I-287 north to the NY Thruway. From there, you have the choice of Thruway south and the Tappan Zee Bridge, then continue on I-287 back to I-95 north... or Thruway north to I-84 east into Connecticut and Massachusetts to the Mass Pike.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    I know I'm a wuss, but give me the beaches of Maryland and the Carolinas any day. ;)

Bob
    Went that route once, but it was dark.

rob - thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to bookmark your post for later.
    And if you do opt for the I-84 route, you'll pass within 6 miles of my place when you cross the Taconic Pkwy.
    Weren't you and Michael shopping for colleges just yesterday?

We are going thru that now. Emily reported last night that her time on the Harvard campus was impressive. Kids from all over the world at the conference, and all super smart. My junior with her 95 high school average and first semester's college credit under her belt says she feels like a dummy in their presence!
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    And don't get on the Taconic, it's not fun.

84 can be fun, except for the idiots that camp out in the left lane going up that mountain near the Taconic. Then again, that's the lane with the best XM reception. ;)

I drive that road from Rt 9 to 684 every day.
    edited February 2013
    Whenever we go to see my sister/brother-in-laws in NH, we take I-84. It's a longer drive, but sure beats the NJ Turnpike.

Bob
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I wonder if I should add Football to the list of topics not discussed in polite society! The time difference between USA and Australia put it on our TV screens at lunch time.

Some of my sports mad colleagues were watching in the tea room, so I sought an explanation of the rules. None of them were much help and one (who is from South-West Ireland and a very enthusiastic County Hurling Champion - think Hockey in the air with savage lunatics waving big sticks - noses routinely change direction each week) offered the idea that it is sort of like rugby, only better protected and with more ad breaks.

I am fascinated by the very limited period of play for the available time!

Can someone give me a simple explanation.

We did figure out that Baltimore won; however I was the only person in the room who could place Baltimore on a map!

Cheers

Graham
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    A very basic explanation:

The team with the ball (offense) has 4 plays ("downs") to advance the ball at least 10 yards. The ball can be advanced by running or throwing it. If they have not made 10 yards by 4th down, they have the option to kick ("punt") the football to the other team, or if they're close enough, they may try to kick a field goal through the goal posts.

Scoring:
    - reaching the opponent's end zone = 6 points/"touchdown"
    - kicking the ball through the goal posts from the field = 3 points/"field goal"
    - being tackled or penalized in your own end zone = 2 points for the opponent/"safety"
    - running/passing the ball to the end zone after a touchdown = 2 points
    - kicking the ball through the goal posts after a touchdown = 1 point

Hope that helps a bit!
    kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    For the trip routing requested, the Taconic wouldn't make much sense, but don't discount the beauty of the road itself. I've been driving it since I first got my license over 35 years ago, from Valhalla up to I-90. It's a true "drivers road", unlike the modern interstates that will lull you to sleep!
    I think one of the big mysteries of American Football, and one of the things Graham is referring to are the rules regarding time control - and how oddly they seem to apply them at times. Fighting the timekeeper to run out the clock or conserve seconds is a coach's worst nightmare.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    ... one (who is from South-West Ireland and a very enthusiastic County Hurling Champion - think Hockey in the air with savage lunatics waving big sticks - noses routinely change direction each week)

Sounds like what we call Lacrosse (the game, not the Buick ;) ).
    The only reason it keeps you awake is because the idiot next to you is 6 inches away from you. :shades: That road is WAY too narrow for two lanes most of the way...
    I am fascinated by the very limited period of play for the available time!

Geez Graham, maybe my wife was correct! She constantly complains about how slow the game of football is, because of all the timeouts, etc. BTW, I just had to explain to her about 10 yard advances, first downs, etc.—and she's been watching football games on-and-off for much of her life!

Bob
    Can someone give me a simple explanation

It's a modern Roman Colliseum with cheerleaders. :D

The 7 second plays are perfect for a short attention span, the rest is analysis, and frequent breaks are great for sponsors. That's why soccer will never go mainstream here.

Hyundai is the big winner per Edmunds' hit counter.
    With plant sites in Albany, East Fishkill & Yorktown, it's commonly known as the Taconic 500. Rumor has it there is a secret society that awards prizes for the shortest elapsed time end to end.

I did have some coffee-drinking cell-phone juggling idiot try to drift into my passenger's door today, and he got a tap of the horn. Most days the drive is uneventful.
    Ahh, the IBM Rally Classic, sponsored in part by the fact that they sent all the other jobs offsore, and everyone left is in a panic.

I'll stick with 684. Yeah, there's trucks, but there's 3 lanes of room to dodge them. :shades:
    G'day

Hurling makes Lacrosse look very tame! So far as I can tell, the general idea is to maim you opponents.

Cheers

Graham
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    The other thing that slows the game considerably is the TV timeouts for commercials. The National Football League and the TV networks want those advertising dollars! High school and college level games that aren't on TV move faster for the viewer.

Then again for the superbowl the advertising can be the best part.

Flipping a switch or circuit breaker can slow the game too!
    Before kids my wife worked for Pepsico corporate HQ in Somers, so did that commute. She described 684 in the morning as 80+MPH bumper-to-bumper, with little room to get yourself out of a potential multi-car pile up. That didn't sound like too much fun either.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Graham I had a good laugh to my self at this description of hurling. As someone who played the game in my youth this is a dead on description, it sure is not a game for wusses.
    Now they wear head gear at least, but in my youth it was played without any protection whatsoever.

Cheers Pat.
    edited February 2013
    G'day Pat

My colleague who is very enthusiastic at the Hurling has appeared today, with nose unbroken (they now wear helmets with faceguards), but big toe broken. Perversely, it is not stick damage but someone trod on his foot!

There is quite an active league here in Melbourne with about seven teams competing regularly. The Irish economy is so dire that many young professionals have left the country (purportedly more than during the potato famine!) and we have hired quite a few; well educated and fit in easily to Australian life. My interview technique now includes the standard question (relevant because social skills are very important in our work) of "Do you like a beer?". Invariably, the response is "Well, I'm Irish!" So far, 12 from 12 interviews.

Cheers

Graham
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Graham, I have always claimed that to play hurling or Gaelic football you had to be a little nuts. On a danger scale from one to ten I would rate hurling about a nine, and Gaelic football about a seven.

Yeah The Irish economy is sad, The western Canadian provinces, mainly Alberta,regularly have job fairs in Ireland to attract the brightest and best.

Cheers Pat.
    Interesting to see the resistance and even the expectation of resistance to cooperate. We assume they share tech freely, seems that's far from true (usually).
    Ah, but the end result was worth all the effort, for sure.

As impractical as it is for where I live, I sure do want one of those. :blush:
    Yeah, Miata was a selfish purchase, there's no way I could get away with another one.
    Maybe you could sell it on the "back seats?" :D

I'll probably be able to get away with a selfish purchase in the next ten years, but not yet.
    Look how fuel efficient they are - it's almost a hybrid... :D
    Holy monkeys!

I just found out that Ford finally committed to the Fiesta ST! Okay, I'm feeling very selfish all of a sudden.

I really like my Fiesta, but I've wanted the ST since day one. I might actually trade out for the ST. Darn it; I'm usually so stinkin' practical.
    4 seater, 4 doors, FWD, psssh - you're almost being TOO reasonable. ;)
    Hey there, Mr. Pitchfork on my left shoulder, do you come with a twin in white for my right? :P
    The college funds first! (Yes)
    Hahaha! Nice! Just finished paying off the house last month, too. :(
    Nice. I may re-fi, what are 15 years rates at now? I may even be able to go 10 years.

Who has no closing cost loans? Seems silly to borrow 1/4 of the value of my house and still pay for an appraisal.
    I think 15-year mortgage loans are at or under 3% now. I don't know about no closing costs, but depending on your current mortgage terms, often the savings in interest payments over the life of the new loan (vs. the previous one) covers those costs many times over. If not, then there's really no point in refinancing.

Appraisals around here are a joke. I wouldn't pay one of those crooks for their half-arsed opinion on anything!
    My credit union's APR is only 0.75% lower than my current rate, so not worth it with thousands in closing costs.
    So I've been whining about the Miata's stiff ride for a while, and finally I did something about it.

Researched a lot, and found several people running larger-than-OEM tires. Old timers will recall I run a large set on my Forester a few years ago, and that was a good experience.

Any how, OEM size is:

205/45R17
    or 215/45R17 with run-flats (bigger, don't ask me why)

I got:

215/50R17.

It's 4.9% bigger than what I had, but the OEM run flats fall between the two.

Adds 0.4" of sidewall, which I wanted to try to make speed bumps and pot holes more tolerable.

They come next week, I'll try to get good before and after pics. I'm hoping they ride better and fill out the wheel wells nicely. The old tires look puny and leave huge gaps.
    The old tires look puny and leave huge gaps.

I beg to differ. I think your car looks just about perfect with the standard tires. It's really a sweet looking car AJ. :) Will the new ones look better? Maybe, maybe not.

Bottom line I hope it achieves what you're looking for.

Bob
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I hope that works for you, bit it seems like a bad idea..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator