Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    way sorry...been pushing 75-80 here for 3 weeks, spring bloom is 3 weeks ahead on everything. After 3 months of severe drought, we are hurting big time here for our water needs. This climate is crazy.

John/Fresno
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited March 2013
    Well, John, I'd rather have a little cold than an extended drought! While three months isn't there yet, it's enough to get folks worrying.

We had more snowfall this year than what we have seen in the past many.... I'm just ready for it to start melting. Thanks for helping me put it into perspective!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Less rain in Portland OR this year than last. Some warm and relatively clear days (60's), but rain will return.
    edited March 2013
    I was in the Portland area for about a week in mid-January. Pretty balmy by my standards: Temps hovered around freezing the whole time. Thankfully, we had a massive warm spell about the time I returned home, so the transition back to sub-arctic winter was not too much of a system shock!

We're supposed to break freezing during the day starting tomorrow, so I'm gonna call winter done within the next 3-4 weeks! :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Belated congrats, and I'm jealous! The wife has few miles on her 09 so not looking for a trade right now, but wish I was!
    With half of vehicle stopped on gravel and other half near asphalt, and X-mode engaged, '14 XT simply accelerated onto the roadway without any wheel slip whatever. My previous '09 XT, on similar road setup, spun a wheel or two from time to time.

You might want to sit in seats for awhile to make sure they are comfortable - XT touring leather's seems stiffer than '09's.

Ride and handling seem well suited for Oregon roads: taut without being harsh, eats up sharp bumps, and while not track car, leans less in turns than '09.

New hidden venting does fine job of directing bugs into the intercooler - got more bugs in the '14's in two weeks than I got in the '09 for 4-6 months :surprise: Still, nice to have better road view __and__ not be advertising that car has sporting nature.
    She's a sleeper now. :shades:
    Kurt, what color is your car's interior? The black leather on my Fiesta was quite firm when I first bought it last summer, so in the interest of preserving the leather and, hopefully, softening it up at the same time, I applied a leather weatherproofing product called "SnowSeal" to it. I am, so far, very pleased with the results. I'll plan to apply it every year during my annual maintenance weekend and see how the leather ages. The product states that it may darken the leather, so YMMV if you have a light interior.

Most leather seating I see (on cars that get regular use) looks pretty aged by the 8-10 year mark.
    edited April 2013
    XT Foresters for '14 come with only one interior color: Black (some sites call it dark gray - no, it's __black__). Subaru's reason was trying to simplify the interior choices, or they thought black was the only appropriate color for a "sporty" version (IMHO a tired old assumption now embraced by too many car companies :sick: ).

Only time will tell if this Forester fogs its windows like every other black interior car I have owned: The fact that the '14 does so well in other areas made me bite the black interior bullet again. The exterior's white satin pearl.

I'm using Meguiar and Weimen's leather products on the seats. The leather doesn't absorb much (very little porosity to it).
    Should also add '14 Forester is Subie's first solo go at direct injection. No idea if the engine will build up intake carbon deposits ala Audi and other Euro DI engines.
    Service techs I talked to are aware of potential problems but claimed Subaru will provide additives to minimize buildup.
    Satin White Pearl is also my favorite color. Now I'm really jealous!

I wonder if they'll offer intake system cleaning service. We had to do that on a 626 we owned and it wasn't even DI.
    Checked its true fuel economy by good old miles driven/gas puy back in tank method and got 25 mpg.

Dashboard indicator had been gleefully reporting 28, 32, and other higher MPG's during that evaluation drive. Feh - was too good to be true.

Perhaps it'll do better once it's fully broken in and with Camguard in the engine.

Am still impressed by the ride - would be good to know how they managed to keep the ride taut without making it harsh (sharp bumps are well muted compared to Outback and the Euro cars I drove).
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Checked its true fuel economy by good old miles driven/gas puy back in tank method and got 25 mpg.

Dashboard indicator had been gleefully reporting 28, 32, and other higher MPG's during that evaluation drive. Feh - was too good to be true.

Check the odometer; my 2012 Impreza Sport Limited odometer records less miles than actual miles driven ... IIRC, only 27 miles against 29 actual miles. I think the gas mileage meter is closer than people think.

P.S. The speedometer is spot on with my GPS.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Hmmm. How did you figure out the odometer was off? (For those of us who don't drive on marked highways regularly. ;-)
    Hmmm. How did you figure out the odometer was off? (For those of us who don't drive on marked highways regularly.

1) First verify that the speedometer is accurate at 60mph via GPS.
    2) Drive at 60 mph.
    3) Note the trip meter mileage at the start and end of one minute of travel.
    4) Trip meter error = trip meter (end - start) - 1 mile.

Note that this assumes that the trip meter and odometer are in synch (i.e., they both have the same variance vs. actual miles), your timing device is accurate, and you drive at a steady speed throughout the test.
    I do the same and usually find that it's off by about 0.5 mph at 60mph.
    Youtube offers many videos about the new Forester and other Subaru design philosophies:

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCoyrcdib1HkM_TWNVMtubVA
    I prefer the videos out in the wilderness. Anyone seen recent ramp tests for the AWD systems?

I do like this heritage themed video:

http://youtu.be/ohQYv9QVIY4
    Doesn't surprise me. Our Forester is consistently optimistic as well. When I bought the Fiesta, I decided to note both the mileage and the mpg gauge reading at each fill up. Month to month, the fuel economy via both methods agrees perfectly (within two hundreds of a point). So, my conclusion is that the on-board computer is spot-on accurate, but the variation comes in the filling process.

I doubt my results would be the same for the Forester, but I can't know that for sure without recording the data. Since my wife is the primary driver of that car, I'm just happy that she usually remembers to write down the distance and reset the meter each fill! :P
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Thx, DCM61.

I'll have to try that next time I have the opportunity to get on a highway, or at least a good straight stretch. ;-)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think it's due to the fact that the mpg read-out changes every 3 mpg, not 1 mpg. That's got to have a negative impact on accuracy.

Bob
    You mean 0.3, right?
    Yeah, 0.3.
    http://m.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/how-subaru-fell-love-and-never-loo- ked-back-148475

Great TV spot! Reminds me of their 'Baby Driver' commercial.

Bob
    Like that ad, and love the predecessor even more.
    Besides being a great TV spot, the actors in the Baby Driver commercial were actual father and daughter(s).

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    edited April 2013
    I never ever check gas mileage it is an exercise in frustration. There are far too many variables for a start, IE: did you fill the tank with the same amount of gas presuming you are checking from a full tank every time.

Temperature, obviously the colder it is makes a difference, as does actual driving between town and highway, in town you could have more stopping and starting with longer idling times, versus previous trips, or you could do a lot of highway at a steady speed, versus some highway trips at varying speeds.

All these factors effect gas mileage, unless I get the impression that gas is going quicker than water off a ducks back I don't bother. What's the point, you own the car, you have to fill it from time to time, so what does it matter if it is getting 25MPG versus 28MPG.

Cheers Pat.
    For me it's 30 more miles between fill ups. The Miata's tank is small.
    edited April 2013
    Yeah but the point I was trying to make is whether it gets a 25MPg or 28MPG is really moot, you have to fill the car to drive it, why do some people drive themselves nuts constantly checking gas mileage.

Some guys I know have a log of every gallon they have put in the tank from day one, then if the car is down one or two MPG from the fill before, they are in a tizzy trying to figure out whats wrong. My Motto is just enjoy the car already or take the bus.

The figures I quoted were arbitrary for illustration BTW.

Cheers Pat.

I log everything. I am an analyst, and always will be, so doing this is like any other hobby out there. Of course, I don't fuss about variation, but if there's a trend, I certainly work to hunt it down.

I think the fuel mileage nuts are the ones who care enough to jump to conclusions and complain, but don't care enough to record and analyze. One tank means nothing - it's all about the trends.
    ... they are in a tizzy trying to figure out whats wrong.

Kinda like the people that don't consider a wash and wax complete until they've dusted their spark plugs. ;)
    edited March 2010
    New option for '14 Foresters are mirror-based exterior lights. Like the Range Rover Evoque, Subaru puts LEDs with tiny logos (subaru logo, of course) in outside mirrors. When doors are opened/closed, the LED's shine back towards the door handles and ground. :D

Given '14 XT's euro style ride and general feel, Subaru may have studied Range Rover closely before redesigning the Forester. In any case they managed to avoid the Rover quirks (no lifting of wheels in turns, etc.).
    What's wrong with that? So long as you don't forget to wax your wheels first. :D
    Does the light shine in the shape of the logo? That would be cool, like the Bat-signal.
    Obviously you need to wax the front and back side of the wheels.
    Don't forget the anti-seize on the threads. Because you do remove the wheels, right? ;)

I had a slow leak on the Miata, and that wheel is cleaner than any other because I took it off, and cleaned it. I should clean the others but I never seem to have time any more.

Kids' sports rule my life - basketball alone takes up Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (twice) and tournaments vary but can fall on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Wish us luck, my daughter's first tournament with her travel team starts tomorrow at 9am.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    The other day I popped the engine cover off on the Sienna and cleaned the deck and heads area! But damn, never thought about pulling the plugs for a dusting. Now I've got something new to obsess about.

Hey Juice, if you use anti-seize on those lug nuts they might just change themselves one of these days!
    I was joking, but I imagine you're right.
    HAR HAR HAR, That's only for members in the OCD club :P

Cheers Pat.
    A reviewer called romanticcarguy (with web site and videos) tested both a recent Ford Escape and the '14 Forester XT on the same snowy Colorado mountain road. Both vehicles got stuck in exactly the same place, their tires simply sliding off the road and (almost) taking the vehicles with them. :surprise:

I never used the stock XT tires (Bridgestone Duelers) on snow, replacing them with Nokians before winter hit. Looks like that will have to be done again.

A pity Subaru can't fit their vehicles with better stock tires. :sick:
    I saw another video where the Forester went the farthest, but you're right, the OE tires leave much to be desired.

They're not even inexpensive, either!
    Link: http://youtu.be/z_gseK09_pU

Why do they wait until they are stuck, THEN engage x-mode?

Before that, watch how the tires fail to shed snow as they drive up, even before they get stuck.
    And here's the Escape one:

http://youtu.be/lmnpsHA4rww

Tires seem a little better, if you watch closely they shed snow whenever they spin at all.

They almost ended up in that creek!

Is it me or did they turn back in the Escape, but kept going in the Forester?
    That's funny! I could have probably towed them through that piddly crap with my '10, without X-drive or the CVT tranny that saved their incompetent butts.

But, their point was made: Even with Subaru's all-wheel drive and ground clearance, get proper snow tires! ;)
    Airing down the tires may have helped a little bit, too.

But why does an AWD crossover need 18" rims? Think of all the unsprung mass.

Not to mention the cost of the tires. The 17"s are expensive enough!
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    But why does an AWD crossover need 18" rims? Think of all the unsprung mass.

Not to mention the cost of the tires. The 17"s are expensive enough!

Agreed! The new 2.0XT is going in the wrong direction with its "improvements". That includes everything that makes the price equal to or more than an Outback.

It is time again for an Impreza GT turbo automatic, perhaps with the 2.0 tuned to actually run on 87 octane.
    edited April 2013
    it is time again for an Impreza GT turbo automatic, perhaps with the 2.0 tuned to actually run on 87

I'm ready for an even smaller Subie engine/hybrid combo. I like the VW arrangement in their new Jetta hybrid with the 1.4 liter turbo, hybrid, 170 hp, AND 48/42 mpg. That's impressive engineering.

John
    I would worry about the sheer complexity. You'd need a PhD to work on that engine.
    edited April 2013
    1.4 liters and, say, 150-160 brake hp from the engine side, not much different than the subie 2.0 liter boxer turbo doing 250 hp.

I do seem to recall that the VW engine might be DI, so from that sense, potentially complicated. That's the way this world is going in order to squeeze more from less.

John
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Dad had a 1980 Buick Century sedan (the first year they went to the "baby Seville" roofline), and it rode on P185/75R14 tires. Its relative 2013 equivalent, the Regal, has P235/50R17 footwear as standard, with 18, 19, and 20-inch options all the way to P255/35R20.

35-series tires on a midsize sedan? That's a 3.5 inch side height around a 20-inch wheel. Yeah, that'll feel good on rough pavement.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host