Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

1128129130131132134»

Comments

• maryh3maryh3 Member Posts: 263
    Go to a dealer and see if you can get the KBB for a trade in, especially in this market. Good luck to you.

IMO you can't get the CarMax or KBB values in the real world for any auto - Chryslers or Hondas included. If you really want to see what people are paying go to e-bay. Check on the "completed items". If you do I'll bet you find 05 T&C go for about $5K less than Oddys, which they probably paid for in the initial purchase. E-bay can be variable but you'll get the overall picture.

In the long run buy what you want and can afford and don't get too hung up on value. I liked the T&C because it is the smoothest van out there with all the toys my kids want. If all I wanted was value I would have bought one of the 07 T&C at invoice minus the $4500 rebate with the included the Lifetime Powertrain warranty. Those guys made out like bandits.
  • maryh3maryh3 Member Posts: 263
    Could someone post pics of the grey interior (medium slate grey/light shale) of their 2008 town & country chrysler minivan?

I am shopping for a T&C right now and don't want the light cream color interior but I have yet to see one with the grey interior.

I've complained about this too. I wish they offered black leather. However, I had to buy the medium slate and it definitely darker than the beige. The color is very close to what they show in the brochure for it but darker than what they show at their website when you "build your own".

I think a black leather would have looked best.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Interesting when one of the 2 "Defender's of the Odyssey Faith" would criticize a person who feels as positive about Chrysler as you do for the squished H. :shades:

Go read ALL the problems with the Odyssey Transmission in another forum. Honda has stolen the "MOST UNRELIABLE Transmission" title from Chrysler. ;)
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Could someone post pics of the grey interior

You can see what one of the seats looks like in Medium Slate Gray/Light Shale if you go to chrysler.com > Build My Own. Select that option for the interior color. No pics of the whole interior though.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Actually I am more anti-Chrysler than I am pro-Honda.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Actually I am more anti-Chrysler than I am pro-Honda.

I'm just the opposite, so I guess that averages things out. I'd gladly pedal 34 miles RT to work in the rain and snow before I'd own a Honda, even if it was given to me free.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I actually like Chrysler best of the American brands and Honda best of the Japanese brands. That said, I'd buy a T&C or Caravan over an Odyssey, however, I'd buy an Accord over a Sebring or Avenger. Go figure. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Actually I am more anti-Chrysler than I am pro-Honda

I'm totally SHOCKED!!!! Really SHOCKED!!!
    As Chrysler's #1 shill on here forever you suddenly have an interest in "dumped" Odysseys?

As mentioned previously, I'm itching for a new vehicle and recently driven an 08 Ody EX-L with the back up camera built into the rearview mirror. Since Honda has just recently started heavily discounting their Minivans, they're worth considering if one doesn't need all the bell and whistles and better warranty available on a Chrysler.

Regarding the "claim" that Honda's been discounting Odys since 2005..that is totally BS. One has only to go to the prices paid for Odys to see this just happened this past fall, when Honda tried to claim the "Best selling Minivan" nameplate from Chrysler. Honda failed....but they're continuing to discount heavily.
  • marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    this whole thing reminds me of something dh did yesterday that made me laugh. We were parking at the bookstore waiting for sunday school to end. Anyway, there are three cars in te lot and he left a space between us and the next car. I said what's up. he said he didn't want to park by that caravan in case we got chrysler cooties. OMG, I had to laugh my posterior off. Totally not like my husband to one, use the word cooties, and two, even think about that. ROFL

I had to remind him that sitting on our driveway was a wonderful 15 year old Dodge Shadow that never gave us a hint of trouble.

I also think maybe the dealership we traded the caravan to might have actually sold that clunker. It will be 10 years this June, but it felt like we'd had it 3 decades. Hope they made all the repairs and that maybe the new owners stand a chance.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Regarding the "claim" that Honda's been discounting Odys since 2005..that is totally BS.....

You're the one that claimed people were paying "sticker" for Odys early last year. If they did, they're dumber than the average bear.

I never said anything about Honda discounting (i.e. rebates) back in '05 although they did have some special financing (2.9% for 60 months) off and on in '05. They also had dealer marketing (i.e. backdoor rebate) on Odys in '06 and '07 with consumer rebates showing up mid-'07. It is a three year model now so I would expect it do show some age and require some discounting. Particularly in the flat minivan market.
    You're the one that claimed people were paying "sticker" for Odys early last year. If they did, they're dumber than the average bear.

No I didn't, they were paying sticker back in 2005 or above sticker even, last time I looked into a new car. Honda started heavily discounting Odys last fall.....it's unbelievable the discounds on them now!! Well under invoice! They must feel they have competition now to be discounting like that!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Your post# 7434: Of course Chrysler has to be competitive now that Honda has started dumping their Odys with $3000-$4000 discounts. That can't be good for recent buyers who paid full sticker earlier last year.

What am I missing from that statement?

I paid $300 over invoice for my Ody in April of 2005. It was $31,764 for an EX-L R&N and they gave me kbb "excellent" value for my trade with little negotiation. I normally would never trade, but the offer surprised me a bit (for a full-size V8 suv at that...) and I would have needed another $1,700 from a private party just to break-even on the sales tax savings. I see the invoice on an '08 Ody identical to mine is now nearly $1,600 more than it was in '05. So even when they had $3,500 rebate/marketing support on the '07's, it's not that far off from what I paid.
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    Funny how this $3K never came up in any of your previous posts since 05? Amazingly, you just remembered this great deal of your's? I'm also glad you didn't experience any of the 5 or 6 recalls and quiet numerous service alerts Honda issued on the 05s!! You are truly blessed.

As usual Dennis your wrong. I posted many times about my deal. Here is one of my posts from 2005. I really wish you had some substance with your propaganda! :P ;) As far as the recalls had the relay one done. So Honda is winning 1 recall to 3 for my 2001 Caravan. BTW I am blessed, now that I have my Ody compared to what I drove before.

link title

I do wonder why Honda is now discounting like Dodge - up to $6000 on overpriced Touring models!! and what that says about the worth of Odys? I also get embarrasing offers, just recently from Honda due to my Sam's Club request.....

What was the embarrassing offer?Did they offer you real world trade in value on your Caravan??
    So Honda is winning 1 recall to 3 for my 2001 Caravan For your particular case be it recall or discounting, you are blessed for sure! You also get EPA or better I bet, have never had a single tranny issue or any of the other major issues others have had with their Odys...again, truly blessed.

Ohh I meant it's embarrassing for Honda, to have to stoop to discounting to move vehicles! It's also embarassing for a sales person to have to send me an email trying to sell me a car (like it is for you to be contacted). God forbid someone has a job to do, and does it!

I just saw a post on here - $4000 below invoice? That is amazing, and a bargain if you're set on a Honda. I bet, being as blessed as you are, the dealer would trade you even up for a new 2008 for your 2005! Of course, discounting/dumping has no effect on Honda's resale, only other's.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Isn't this getting old?
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I bought my 2006 Odyssey the first week of October, 2005 at about $450 over invoice or about $3,000 less than the worthless MSRP.
    My aunt paid $27,200 on a $28,495 MSRP (Ody EX) before Christmas of 2004 on her 2005 model. They were offering some discounts then as well, if not deep discounts.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    "from the people who gave you Pearl Harbor"
    In that case, maybe I won't buy a car from the northern US; since I'm southern, and we fought the north in the Civil War. Same principle you are using.

Don't forget not to buy a Bimmer, Mercedes, Audi, or VW, since they are all German (remember Hitler?). Also, no Jags, or Rolls Royce, since we fought them in the Revolutionary War.

Sorry, you're argument is a poor one here, one that helps promote racism. It also has nothing to do with the vehicles, but rather the companies. There is a section for "News and Views" which a host would probably link you to properly.
    Add "Sienna - from the people who gave us Pearl Harbor".

"Chrysler - the people who built the rugged, dependable Dodge Army 3/4 truck that helped win WW II on both fronts". :shades:
    Isn't this getting old?

Yes it is, but I love that he knows I'm blessed. BTW check out my carspace got a nice pic of me putting chains on the Ody in the Sequioia's. Also a nice pic of my girl enjoying the Ody comforts!
    Ohh I meant it's embarrassing for Honda, to have to stoop to discounting to move vehicles! It's also embarassing for a sales person to have to send me an email trying to sell me a car (like it is for you to be contacted). God forbid someone has a job to do, and does it!

No there's is that bait and switch trade in crap all by mail. So no ones contacting me they're just fishing. Nice to see Honda has better sales people that are more personable.

just saw a post on here - $4000 below invoice? That is amazing, and a bargain if you're set on a Honda. I bet, being as blessed as you are, the dealer would trade you even up for a new 2008 for your 2005! Of course, discounting/dumping has no effect on Honda's resale, only other's.

Why is this so important to you?? Dodge has been doing it for 15 years you should be used to it.
    No there's is that bait and switch trade in crap all by mail. So no ones contacting me they're just fishing. Nice to see Honda has better sales people that are more personable.

Hardly....I'm out with customer yesterday at lunch and who called me on my cell, a Honda salesperson. I get back to my home office, and what's on my answering machine, another message from same person wanting me to set up to come in for test drive. Ohh and someone from Sam's Club calls, making sure the Honda dealership called. At least i'm not getting crap mail from them yet.

Why is this so important to you?? Who knows, another few thousand off invoice and I might be willing to accept less features, less flexibility, less towing capacity, less gears, inferior warranty and older technology.

Without a doubt, this speaks volumes to what Honda thinks of Chrysler's new minivans, that they have to resort to massive discounting...... If what all you Honda folks claim, that everyone buys at invoice, then $4000 below that is what? $6000+ off MSRP????

At least Chrysler is up front with rebates to their customers, whereas Honda doesn't announce it, and dealers could really take advantage of the uninformed buyer. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some dealers still asking for Additional Dealer Markup! Of course Honda is trying to maintain the perception of great value etc.....hence, lets not announce deals publicly.

Are there incentives on the Sienna??
    wait, Sam's was doing Honda's? Man I would have killed for that when we were van shopping. We had to settle for the caravan. Wish we would have held out some too because winter eroded the INSIDE of the van alot.

I always assumed that resale values that were high meant the vehicle was better quality. So why is the caravan such a low resale on it? We'd be lucky to get 2 grand on resale with ours. That's why we took that tacoma and left running before the dealer changed his mind on the deal we had worked out. ;)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion is a comparison for the two vans, nothing else. If it's going to turn into a my-van-is-better-and-yours-sucks festival, I think this topic is no longer viable.
    This discussion is a comparison for the two vans, nothing else. If it's going to turn into a my-van-is-better-and-yours-sucks festival, I think this topic is no longer viable.

Well I think the best thing to do is go drive each van. Figure out what one suits your needs and the go to the prices paid forum to see if you can afford the one you'd like. I really do like the Ody, but Bodge has finally got with the side airbag/ESC which I think is very important although CR says the stopping distance is still a problem. Buying something is all about what you can live with. Each person has different needs/wants, I try not to put everyone in the same box (Everyone needs are different) and tell people what issues they have with their cars(How would I know). I only know I had problem with Dodge in the past. Your results may vary. :blush:
    Without a doubt, this speaks volumes to what Honda thinks of Chrysler's new minivans, that they have to resort to massive discounting...... If what all you Honda folks claim, that everyone buys at invoice, then $4000 below that is what? $6000+ off MSRP????

Not really it speaks volumes to what our economy is doing.

Not really it speaks volumes to what our economy is doing.

Check out sales of luxury cars etc....sales have increased, and the imports are doing pretty well too. It has to do with products. If Honda was dumping vehicles across the board, you'd be right on blaming the economy. They're heavily discounting the Pilots too, as a new redesign is on it's way. I think even Chrysler isn't discounting their minivans as much as Honda, based on Prices Paid for Odys!! And Honda's reporting profits, much of which is flowing back to Japan.
  • cheapdad000cheapdad000 Member Posts: 33
    I think Honda/Chrysler/etc. are discounting to stem the flood of minivan purchasers migrating to Crossovers. Also, Pilot is tired design when compared to Outlook/Acadia/Enclave/Edge/CX7/CX9.
    Pay more get less. Perceived image more important than practicality.

My sister drives 2001 Ody EX. Her daughter has a loaded 2006 Pilot. The Ody has MORE interior space and can take 7 people in comfort while the Pilot can take 5 people in comfort + 3 small children with virtually NO cargo space behind 3rd row.

My sister lives in the first house they bought in 1969 ( 2nd owner) while her daughter is in the 3rd NEW house they purchased. Guess which one has no financial concerns?
    we are one of those that migrated to crossovers. We had a Caravan for 10 years. When it came time to replace it, I thought about the need for a minivan. But when everyone is in it, the cargo space is not great in the rear.

We needed some comfort in seating and cargo as well. With an oldest child driving, the only time all of us are in the vehicle are for church and for family trips. It just made more sense to do a crossover this time around. I have tons of cargo, I can even decide not to stack groceries up high when I do major load and kids are not with me by easily lowering the seats. I still do groceries quite comfortably.

And they all sit easily in the rear, one still in car seat, the other over 6 feet tall. ;) Yes, I have every spectrum back there. lol It is rather fully loaded because we have dvd players in the rear headrests, but mostly I am thrilled that every one can sit comfortably and as our children get older, we don't have quite the same minivan needs.

I am impressed with the much better mileage as well. I am not so concerned about shuttling other kids around. Frankly, I have enough with my kids so my excuse is, got no room for yours. :) And I just really like not having the family truckster feel when I travel. it was good when the kids were smaller but now I am covering some greys and keeping some youth too :shades:
    Of all these Odyssey and Toyota owners sniping at the people who happen to like The Chrysler/Dodge versions better than the ones they picked. It is the owners money and they should pick the van that appeals to them the most. For the records The new 08 minivan is 50 to 390 lbs lighter than a Honda(depending on model)has a longer wheelbase 122.2 vs 118 and has the same or better features that the Odyssey and a longer warranty to boot. To those who snipe at the stow and go seating, I am 6'4' and weigh 250 lbs, if you adjust the headrest and the angle of the stow and go even you too can be comfortable in the second seat.
    "I'm tired of all these Odyssey and Toyota owners sniping at the people who happen to like The Chrysler/Dodge versions better than the ones they picked."

It works both ways.

The host is here to step in if things get out of hand, that's their job (and KarenS is pretty good at it!).

To those who snipe at the stow and go seating, I am 6'4' and weigh 250 lbs, if you adjust the headrest and the angle of the stow and go even you too can be comfortable in the second

Um, no I can't (6'5" 195). Been there, tried that, in both the Swivel 'N' Go as well as Stow 'N' Go at the auto show. You're upset that people are telling you what to like, but that's exactly what you are doing. They offer unmatched flexibility, but lack comfort to MY BODY, especially compared to the large captains chairs in the Odyssey EX that I drove/rode in across the country twice. We aren't all made the same, and even though you're big, it doesn't mean that because you find the seats comfortable, we all will. I'm proof that that is not the case. :P

Take a little of your own advice - it is the owners money, they should pick the van that appeals to them most; no owner should tell others what is best, because best is relative. For owners wanting max flexibility, the DCX is great; for owners wanting the most carlike driving experience, the Odyssey is a fine choice, etc...

If we agree that everyone's benchmark for "best" is different, things will go by a lot smoother for us all. :D
    If we agree that everyone's benchmark for "best" is different, things will go by a lot smoother for us all.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I have almost 200,000 kilometes on my 2002 Odyssey and have yet to replace the headlight bulbs (lamps). I notice that I seet alot of current Chysler vehicles with their headlight out (either right or left). Has Chrysler products have more electrical issues then Honda or Toyota? I have also noticed weird lighting issues in some GM/VW taillights.
    I could not find a specific current forum to post these comments.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Maybe you're just seeing vans with lots of time on the road. Our 1998 DGC didn't burn out a headlight bulb until over 180,000 kms (it currently has well over 250,000 kms and is still on the second set) while our 2003 DGC currently has over 170,000 kms and the factory headlight bulbs continue to burn bright. Go figure.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Check out sales of luxury cars etc....sales have increased, and the imports are doing pretty well too. It has to do with products. If Honda was dumping vehicles across the board, you'd be right on blaming the economy. They're heavily discounting the Pilots too, as a new redesign is on it's way. I think even Chrysler isn't discounting their minivans as much as Honda, based on Prices Paid for Odys!! And Honda's reporting profits, much of which is flowing back to Japan.

Well I did look and luxury car sales in February of 08 down 9%(Doesn't sound good to me) from February 07. SUV's down 26% now small cars are up 1.4%. There's the only sector that seems to be able to hold the value. Of course Honda/Toyota make lots of small cars with good gas mileage. Minivan are not a hot market, I was really surprised that the Ody ever sold over MSRP. Sure moneys flowing out of america soon we will make virtually nothing here, try and buy electronics assembled here. I work in the semiconductor manufacturing business(next week we'll be shut down due to no work) and very soon I will probably be moving to the medical business. If capitalism is all about profit soon most of our money will be going to China. I dare you to throw out everything not made in the United States. Heck my 2001 Caravan was made in Canada and owned by a German company(Boy we showed them a thing or 2 about losing money)We prefer to have someone else make it for us, it's cheaper and easier. And that is what we've become. BTW I just saw a Pontiac G8 I was like wow thats cool and cheap. Guess what it is designed/built in Australia. ;)
    Heck my 2001 Caravan was made in Canada and owned by a German company(Boy we showed them a thing or 2 about losing money)We prefer to have someone else make it for us, it's cheaper and easier. And that is what we've become. BTW I just saw a Pontiac G8 I was like wow thats cool and cheap. Guess what it is designed/built in Australia.

But both GM/Chrysler are Amercian companies, and when you buy one of their products the profits/taxes etc.. benefit the USA even if a particular model is built in Canada or Mexico. Sure the G8 was developed in Australia but using many US designed components like engines, trannies etc... This RWD platform will be responsible for many variations built in the USA. Those profits trickle down into suppliers who research, design and manufacture new technologies/product here in the USA.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    The biggest con going! Buy from Ford, GM or Chrysler and the profits stay in America! First, Ford, GM, and Chrysler are CLOSING plants in America. Any new jobs are going offshore. Toyota and other Asian manufacturers are CREATING jobs in America. If some of the Asian companies profits are not finding their way back to America then HOW ARE THE PLANTS BUILT? Are the factories built for nothing? I live in Mississippi. Nissan spent over $1 billion on their plant in Canton, MS. Toyota is building a plant near Tupelo, MS. Again they're investing hundreds of millions of dollars in the local economy. This doesn't include the millions being spent by other Asian parts manufacturers that want to be located near the Toyota or Nissan plants. We've got two Asian parts suppliers setting up shop nearby. Toyota is also doing some of their engineering and design work in the U.S. (California).
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...minivans, so time to put this one to bed.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    you know what I think is funny ?? I just came across this forum and saw this post and couldn't resist making a comment... it is funny that the Odyssey doesn't offer standard auto headlamps and it is suppoesed to be from what I understand (I don't know much about minivans as I have never owned one although I probably will since a Suburban will probably be out of my price range) a premium vehicle. I would think that something like autoheadlamps would be standard....

Even my 01 S-10 has them standard. It's an LS options package, but even the base model S-10's starting in I think 1999 had them standard... It's funny that a 15K GM truck has them standard while a HONDA - The "benchmark for quality" does not ....
This discussion has been closed.