Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    This is just to wet your lips... :)

Bob
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I don't think the, uh, target demographic for that truck cares as much about 4WD as it does about bling. At least that was my observation at the car show.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Fake wood, bling bling! It's not even the right color!

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Where can I get one of those Volvo Hogsters?

Seriously, given Volvo's place in FoMoCo's PAG, when I saw the name I expected a Harley tie-in much along the line of the H-D edition F-150.

Ed
    is an early '50s Volvo 4WD, originally designed for the Swedish military; sort of Volvo's take on early Dodge Power Wagons...

Ed, being a "50s-kind-of-guy," I can see why you would want one. Actually, I wouldn't mind one myself! ;)

Bob
    Though I will be soon enough.

Actually a refurbished IH Travellall would be nifty. Whenever I see that VW Jetta "wedding" ad (which hasn't been on in a long time) I drool over the Travelall pulling the Airstream that the Jetta passes on the way to church.

Ed (born old, or young but getting old before his time, depending on who you talk to)
    the 50's reference was meant to be that is where your heart is at, in terms of motor vehicles. I could have said you're a "60s-kind-of-guy." ;)

Bob
    In terms of style yes, that's true. I am ever grateful that the industry has made quantum leaps in safety and performance since that time. Cars that are currently considered basic transportation handle better than performance cars of a generation ago, for instance. I could go on and on but I won't.

I do have to wonder what the antique/classic car hobby will look like circa 2030. If I'm lucky I'll be here to see it.

Ed
    Hey - great topic starter. What cars do you think will be collectible in 2030?

SVX and WRX STi definitely will have a shot. What would you add to your classic garage if you could afford to have one?

Maybe the last air-cooled Porsche 911 turbo.

-juice
    will be regarded in 2030, as one of the leading edge, and most influential designs of this era.

Oops! I must be having a senior moment...

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    In a sense, I agree re the Aztek. Any good psychologist realizes that we learn *much more* from our mistakes than from our successes.
    :-)

Ross
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Did you send snow our way? We're (S.E. Wisconsin) now getting wet snow, about 1/2" or so on the grass, not sticking to the main roads yet. Wait, this is an April Fool, right?

Seriously, it's snowing here. Weather Channel says 1-3" for our area. At least make it worth my while to use my 2-stage...

-Brian
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Juice-
    Load iTune onto new laptop.
    Authenticate the new laptop with iTune.
    Plug iPod in.
    iTune will want to verify iPod.
    Authorize the iPod to laptop/iTune.
    iTune will sync iPod's library onto iTune.

This will only work if both the laptop and iPod is on the same format.

-Dave
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    will be a collectible, along side the Edsel.

John
    Wow, in this morning before the obligatory juice Terrapin celebration. ;-)

More thoughts later on the future of the antique car hobby.

Ed
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is in NY today with bob. We likely won't hear from em til tomorrow.

-mike
    no wonder I was actually able to catch up on posts today!! :'))
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    congrats on the Terps winning the NCAA...despite your lack of presence(Running off to NYC!).
    Hear, that? It's the crickets.........

Yup, Juice is away from a PC today fer sure.
    Juice should have brought something mobile to give live updates at the Auto Show :-)

-Dave
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Bob - I actually like your 'doctoring'. 4dr pickups don't usually do much for me, but the Liberty is a great starting shape for an open bed.

NY Auto Show question: Can you bring in a camera??? I assume yes, but don't want to be turned away at the door...

John beat me to it. I thought Edsel immediately!

Steve
    Williamsburg, VA: As I started over in MTM, had a great week in your home town. Did Colonial W., Busch Gdns, lots of shopping, eating, etc. The kids (that includes me) loved Go Carts Plus.

Stayed in Sunterra's Greensprings Plantation (a timeshare condo). Nice change from a conventional hotel room.

Not too many Subaru's in town. Mostly out of state plates. We had the Odyssey packed to the gills.

Steve
    Just figured I'd re-post it over here. We were discussing GM taking Subaru-Isuzu and merging them into one brand dedicated to the sportsman/outdoorsman/off-roader/adventurer/camper/etc.

Here were some of my thoughts on the line-up.

Impreza
    WRX/RS in Wagon and sedan models 2.0l Turbo on WRX and 2.5l on the RS
    Forester
    XT/XT6 XT gets 2.0l WRX motor, XT6 gets the H6 from the Outbacks
    Outback
    Sedan/Wagon/Pickup -leave as is with H6 engine only, bump up the hp on it to 230ish
    Axiom
    Wagon -large wagon, maybe drop it down 1" to make it more car-like
    Rodeo
    Rodeo Sport- 2 door, drop top w/hardtop removable 3.5l Axiom engine
    Crew Cab
    GM/Isuzu Crew cab pickup 4.2l I6 engine, beefed up suspension and tire package for Isuzu sold version.
    Trooper
    LS enlarged to be like an FZJ80 -GM 5.3l and 4.2l engines and 4/5l Duramax option

All Subaru-Isuzu models would have full skid plates, beefed up suspensions, AT tires (except WRX/RS), great angles of approach and departure, optional lockers, LSD std on all models, VDC std. on all non-impreza models, with manual over-ride, low range tranny for the subies (they have em overseas)

And put all the subie and isuzu nutz in charge of the marketing! Make it a grassroots effort to get the word out!

Ok must go to bed now...

-mike
    Steve-
    Camera is OK.
    You coming this evening?

-Dave
    almost forgot it.

-mike
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Glad you had a good time. I noticed that Busch Gardens has been packed the last few days (judging by the line of cars exiting I-64). I haven't been down to Colonial Wmsbg. for a few weeks, but need to get out for a walk with the wife. It's always gorgeous in the spring.

Sunterra is a nice place, and only about 1 mile from my house! You probably passed by our neighborhood (The Meadows) a lot on your way into town.

Some days, I see an Outback at every intersection, no kidding, and I have been at some lights where there are 3 or four. Between the locals and visitors, there are quite a few. Lots of Odysseys too. I think there are 3 of them just in my neighborhood.

Did you get a chance to eat at any of the good local joints? Pierce's Pit BBQ? Nawab (Indian food)? Cities Grille (Bruce Hornsby hangs out there a lot)? Chickahominy House? There are so many restaurants, you probably never even heard of these, but they're some of my favorites.

Craig
    Juice and I took a train up to NY yesterday, to go to the show. We got there around noon, grabbed a quick bit to eat at a delly across from Penn station, then hoofed it over to the show.

Man, it was a long day! We spent all our time on the truck level and car level, and never made it to the Freak Show on the third floor. As it was, and after grabbing a very quick dinner (at that same delly), we barely made our 6:20 return train by only 5 minutes! We were both bushed!!

Both juice and I posted over in future models on our Subaru news, so as to the rest of the show:

• The best looking car—and I think I can speak here for juice too—was the new Infiniti G-35 coupe. It is drop-dead gorgeous! In fact, I think the Infiniti and Nissan lineup, with few exceptions, offer some of the best looking products available anywhere and at any price. The new 350Z was there too, also great looking, as is the Murano SUV.

• GMC had their new '03 revised full-size vans, with a GM exclusive, driver's side cargo doors, and AWD (not sure if the model on display had AWD, however).

• We both thought the Honda Element is superb, and will be huge hit. BTW, it had the same tires found on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: 235/65x 17" Goodyear Wrangler SRAs.

• I also love the new Civic Si, perhaps a tad more than juice (a bit too much of mini-van from the front for his tastes).

• All the new concepts that were announced at the other cars shows were there.

• Loved the Pontiac Solstice.

• Hated the extended-wheelbase TrailBlazer and Envoy. The new Ascender, is just an Envoy clone; makes me wonder how Isuzu will survive with this as their premier model.

Bob
    Me?

All Subaru and related
    Miata
    626 and 6
    AWD/4WD topics
    Altima
    Odyssey
    CR-V
    Element
    any "vs." topic with a Subie in it
    a few random news and views topics

-juice
    Aztek will be what the Edsel is now (two people beat me to it).

LOL Loosh! Crickets? Wake up, topic!

Go Terps! Yeah, bay-bee! Juan Dixon is the man! It wasn't pretty but they came through when they needed to. Indy took the lead, Juan hits a 3, then a jumper, then Baxter dunks. After that they just had to hit foul shouts, which they did as usual. :-)

Guys: important assignment for ya, please check the Legacy GT wagon. Does it have leather and heated seats (AWP)? We don't remember, guess we're geezin'.

This is key, because the GT wagon never had heated seats or leather. Now it gets VTD AWD and a Shiftronic manual control for the 4 speed auto tranny! Finally Subaru isn't ignoring this secret model, I wonder if they'll even *GASP* advertise it! :-)

Also, they called it the 2.5 GT, so that name is back.

Other news:

* subwoofers in more models, inluding the GT and some Outbacks, same position as the VDC has it
    * VDC gets 6 CD changer to remain distinguished
    * chrome trim rings around speedo and tach a la Miata (all Legacy/Outback), but tastefully reserved
    * nicer grille, less chrome on that actually
    * new wheels on the GT

Good stuff. The Shiftronic and the VTD are the biggest surprises, no doubt. I shared impressions on other models in Future Models, and in the Baja and Forester topics.

-juice
    G35 coupe is a super model. I actually think it's better looking than the Z, believe it or not. Plus, fold the seats and the hatch offers useful cargo space. It is just a 2+2, though. The Z is stricly a 2 seater, but the rear tower brace KILLS all cargo space, it probably has less room than my Miata!

The G35 sedan looks better in person, and has nice touches like auto up/down power windows - even in the back seat! Soft leather, but...less room than the Altima, still too much plastic, not a warm interior. I was a little let down from inside.

Element will be huge. Hose-out interior, wild styling, TONS of character. This is exactly what most Hondas lack. 17" rims, vs. 15" rims for the more expensive CR-V! Theatre seating is neat, dash is really avant-garde in a cool way. Rubber mats even cover the door sills, clever. Has a tail gate for parties AND and a lift gate for rain shelter, much better than CR-V's wrong-way opening door. I was very impressed. Overhangs are very short, so it's a little smaller than the CR-V, but still roomy inside.

Pilot looks better in person, next to a CR-V they actually look quite different. nice and boxy, very roomy middle seat (we could not get in), but the back seat looked a little tighter than the Explorer's. Watch the wait lists form. It WILL happen, I'd bet on it.

Solistic is gorgeous. Shoot the previous design boss, hire this guy in his place.

Saturn Ion - biggest disappointment. This will bomb. Sedan looks like a Neon from the rear, with wierd kinks in the body, two-tone coloring. Dash is in center like the failing Echo, what were they thinking? Coupe is a little better, now with suicide doors on both sides. Still, Saturn could become extinct.

Mazda 6: takes a close 2nd to the G35 coupe for best looking in show. Wonderful in all 3 body styles. Nice interior, nice shifter, wagon has more passenger space than Outback but less cargo space. Seats fold at touch of button from the cargo area - nifty. Yellow color has hint of metallic in it - absolutely fabulous. Best color in show.

Mini Cooper: too cool. Totally hip. Back seat is useless, though. Cool seats, very roomy front.

GX470: I want one. A real gem.

Hyundai HCD-7 Equus. Ignore the sketches, in person it's a looker. Maybach-ish from the rear. Just a concept to signal Hyundai has arrived. Thumbs up.

For the wife (from my point of view), the Legacy 2.5 GT wagon and the Mazda 6 5 door hatch have moved up to the front of the queue. The G35 sedan is probably out, and we can't get a coupe. I'll show her an Element, but I doubt that'll do, and she said the Pilot was a "School Bus", but I'll show her that, too.

Cool show, great day, but a long one. I left my house before my wife even woke up, and arrived after everyone had slept!

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    We're down in S.C. this week.

I saw an amazing radar (laser?) set up in MD.
    There were 3 trooper cars in the middle of the median and one on the side. The car on the side had its hood up (I assume to simulate a car problem). Three troopers in the middle had their laser guns pointed like pistols resting across their arm. These guys were ready for business!

I'm getting anxious about the '03 Sube news. I'm considering going to the N.Y. auto show on the last day if I'm not too exhausted from driving back.

Get some of those great pics, paisan!

-Dennis
    we also saw the new Montero and Outlander—and AWD Evo too at the NY show too.

The Montero did have 18" rims, and were clad with 275/60 tires. I suspect these were just for show, as the wheels appeared to be after-market items. The Mitsu rep thought otherwise, but she wasn't sure.

The Outlander looks to be a cross between the Outback and Forester. It also had a tip-tronic automatic.

The Evo is one sharp-looking car! Interestingly, the Mitsubishi display is within eye shot of the Subie display, therefore making comparisons between the Evo and WRX pretty easy.

Bob
    Well, made it thru another Worldcom layoff...our group (part of a group based in Clinton Miss.) lost the right amount last year, so there was no need for further cuts...it pays to be TOO busy!
    Needless to say we all breathed a sigh of relief...I called Susan right away and she was happy to hear the official word, though I sympathize with the 3,700 people that are losing their jobs.
    Close one, huh?! Go out and celebrate! :)

Bob
    Definitely!
    Same EVO was there last year, same spot too.

-mike
    there's a new article in the May Automoblie - pg 48. Talks about the STi and EVO and the 'showdown' they're about to ensue.

-Brian
    Yep, I just got that issue in the mail today. From what it sounds like, the EVO has a clear edge over the STi in most performance areas. It was much quicker 0-62 mph, had a higher top speed, better handling, and was lighter—in spite of being a larger car. Pretty impressive.

The only thing the STi was better at, was day-to-day livability. The EVO was more of a "race" car, rather than a "street" car. It was more difficult to control, and had a harsher ride than the STi.

The EVO only has a 5-speed tranny, and while the STi has a 6-speed—because of turbo lag, their testers mentioned that they had to drop from 6th gear, at least one gear—to get good passing power on the highway.

Bob
    more excerpts from the Automobile article in MTM...

-Brian
    I am sorry that I missed you guys this evening at the show. As Greg (nygreg) and Lyn (postmodern) could not make it this year, I was going to change my plans (set for Thursday) and come down today and catch up with you two. But Beth had my day already scheduled.... , so tomorrow is the one and only opportunity.

Maybe next year....

Steve
    No prob. :)
    I went to the Auto Show straight from work and didn't see your post until now.
    Enjoy the show tomorrow, I know I did.

-Dave
    Unfortunately we don't know how de-tuned the US versions will be til they hit the streets.

-mike
    I was let down by this vehicle. It's totally a bigger version of the CRV. Tiny tires and wheels, nothing special about it at all. I'd rather buy an Odessey. I liked the Element better.

-mike
    They're the same size found on many mid-size SUVs: 235/70x16.

Bob
    Smaller than it's predicessor. 245-70-16 was on that one, and it was a smaller vehicle. Most SUVs now are wearing 17" rims. It's a great Mall vehicle which I suppose is what they were shooting for, it's not an SUV though.

-mike
    are used on most mid-size domestic SUVs: Explorer, et al; TrailBlazer et al; Liberty; (base) Durango; plus all their pickup kin.

Yeah, I wish they were larger too, or at least have a larger tire/wheel option...

Bob
    I did get some good shots of the IRS on the Expedition at the show yesterday. They should be uploaded this evening. Also no Terracan from Hyundai in sight :( But the guy did say Hyundai would be bringing out a True Truck based SUV so we'll see.

-mike
    Pilot is basically an "import Explorer". Same type of car, very similar dimensions and interior, but for people that want an import. No, it's not a real SUV, but that's what consumers want, remember.

Having said that, Bob and I both agree that the tires are small, smaller than on the concept.

Monty: that thing had HUGE tires and wheels. The offsets had them bulging out well beyind the fender flares. A lot, too, maybe 2-3" wider track than the current Monty. Maybe to indirectly address the concerns expressed by Consumer Reports? We'll see what the production size tire gets.

EVO looks nice, but the plain Lancer is boring, vanilla. I like the EVO's front end, vents. Without them, it's a boring sedan.

Outlander was locked, I was peeved. This Mitsu has already been out in Japan for a while (different name, I forget now), so what's the big deal?

Outlander looked long, but not tall. So it's closer to the Forester than it is to the RAV4 and CR-V, which are much taller. Looks more sport wagon-ish, not like an SUV. But 140hp? Are they competing with the base Matrix and the Aerio, or the Forester and CR-V? C'mon. It needs more juice.

-juice
    It's just a lifted AWD version of the Lancer. Same chassis according to DougH aka Tree Killa who is Mister Mitsubishi.

-mike