Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Dave Doug and I hung at the show, 3 funny events:

1) Took over the Isuzu area to answer questions for the reps since they knew nothing of Isuzus at least nothing of Troopers. They let Doug go sit in the drivers seat of the ASSender on the turn table which was cool.

2) "Tested" the side steps on the SUVs, almost broke all but the G-wagon ones. Succeeded in ripping off one of the side steps on the Montero Sport by accident. 1 Jump on there and it went "creeeeeeeeeek and bent down about 2"

3) Doug was able to "fix" the hood latch on the Duramax Diesel Pickup w/o the GM reps realizing until we had the hood open for 10 minutes! "How did you open that?" I'm like "Duh, I said 'Open Sesame!', no we fixed the latch" They got annoyed and closed the hood they were pretty rude about it too.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tree Killa is correct, that's the same thing I heard. It looks like a Lancer sport wagon more than it does like a Montero Sport replacement.

Ascendor was a disappointment to us, too. Total GMC clone. The turn signals in the mirror are also on the GMC version. Didn't even look particularly roomy in the 3rd seat, so what's the point?

Did you see the Hummer H2 cutaway? Those side steps are MASSIVE! It was roped off though.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Toyota extends oil sludge reimbursement scheme to eight years, 2002 models
    http://just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=37617&dm=yes

Isuzu consolidates operations
    http://just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=37619&dm=yes
    Did Toyota hire Patti? Just kidding. It took a while, but finally they're taking action. Still blaming owners, though. Tisk tisk.

Isuzu will have a "lean business structure free of redundancies", I wonder if that means GM will just run it themselves and layoff most current staff. :-(

-juice
    I think they are going to focus on Duramax and the Axiom and Rodeo. The Axiom with the Grey interior is real nice. I was impressed with it at the show. A note on the GX470 other than the back looking like a mini-van it looks to be a very capable vehicle, nice to see a non-stationwagonunitbody vehicle in the luxo class.

-mike
    I haven't seen the grey. The beige is almost mustard in color, sort of trendy.

The back of the GX470 was a box lacking any styling cues, but I like the D-pillar, and all other angles.

-juice
    The only thing I don't like, is that it has a rear door, and not a hatch. IMO, if there isn't a tire hanging off the back, a rear hatch is the best solution to cargo access.

Bob
    I forget details like that. Yeah, I prefer a lift gate for the shelter it provides in the rain.

-juice
    Not to mention like Honda Lexus dropped the ball on the door, it swings the wrong way. It's amazing that Mitsubishi, Honda, suzuki and Toyota all have swinging doors but only the Isuzu models swing in the correct direction for the US market.

-mike
    I didn't know Isuzu was an exception. Certainly the RAV4 and CR-V open to wrong way (blocking the sidewalk when you parallel park).

Nice Trivia tid bit.

-juice
    and with a hatch, this becomes a non-issue.

Bob
    I like hatches but they do have bad stuff associated with them:

1) hit your head on it
    2) usually open above the roof line
    3) can't mount spare tire on it

I'd like to see a trooper 70/30 split with the 70 section have a window go down into the door so you can stick big stuff out the back.

-mike
    I like the spare inside where it stays clean, and doesn't block the view. Just my preference.

The hatch on my Forester is a little taller than I am, at least in most places. Unless you're 6'3", or you're talking about a shorter vehicle, hitting your head isn't a big issue.

I like the Trooper's setup better than the Rodeo's.

-juice
    unfortunately, there's no perfect solution. Every solution that I'm aware has both positive and negative issues. My preference is: inside, under the floor, and in a tub. It's not perfect, but for my needs, it hasn't been a problem.

Bob
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    This week I had to change a tire in my Quest for the first time. Spare is under the floor, under the car. To get at it you spin a nut in the back of the van and the spare drops down rather quickly. Nice solution. Tire is out of sight. It is exposed to road salts, etc, but not to UV rays, which I think are more of a problem.
    Yep they all have compromises.

Rear:
    View for some people is a problem, although most owners don't have a problem only the occasional driver has a problem with them like that.
    Inside in tub:
    have to move all items on top of the tire to access it, this can be a problem with a fully loaded vehicle on a rainy night on I95 while on a trip to florida.
    Outside underneath:
    damage from road debris, dirty, if you get a flat you also need to lay in the mud to access it.

That is also the order that I like my tires stored :)

-mike
    is set up that that too. It tends to be a dirtier job, however, with the tire under the vehicle.

Bob
    Loaded/rainy/night/Florida - you really thought of everything! I'd call AAA. ;-)

-juice
    Would still get soping wet on the side of the road even if AAA did it for you :)

Inevitably you never get a flat on a day when you have all the time in the world, its bright sunny and about 75 degrees! :)

-mike
    Well if I was heading to Florida (at night in the rain), it would be full of beach chairs and fishing gear, so that's fine with me! :-)

Actually, I never get flats - my wife does. Even on my cars, it's when she borrows them!

-juice
    :)
    It's a tough formula to mess with. They'd be better off keeping it very similar to the current model.

-juice
    will largely be determined by meeting future government safety regulations.

Bob
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I think there's a market for a Wrangler-sized truck? suv? umm...jeep that looks something like those concepts.

It boggles my mind that they are still able to sell Wranglers today, with the cost versus what you get.

-Colin
    love them. In fact, many wish the old CJ-5 and CJ-7 were still around!

Bob
    The last redesign, that gave it coil springs, actually gave it much more wheel travel (7" more rings a bell). We took several Jeeps off road and the newest one had the easiest time by far climing over rocks.

They need to develop it in the same direction. Any attempt to soften it at all could spell disaster for them because it would alienate the core buyer.

-juice
    right Bob, but I see some (I wouldn't say many) serving most if not all of their lives as urban transportation.

You don't get much for your $20-25k (6 cyl) was my point.

-Colin
  • ZComplxZComplx Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in leasing a 2002 Impreza RS, standard. Could anyone from New York who has leased a 2002, give me some numbers? Thanks
    Why lease? Business write off?

-Colin
    They don't lease real well but you can contact Mark Jerrick @ SI Subaru 718-979-9595 and I'm sure he can get you good leasing #s.

-mike
  • ZComplxZComplx Member Posts: 2
    Truthfully I'm a college student, right now leasing is the best option for me in every direction. I've spoken to many dealers, and like all dealers they give me overpriced numbers. I want to know a true figure so I have something base off of. New York prefably b/c of the rates in the state.
    Whatever floats your boat. You could probably find a cheap used RS, too.

-juice
    That is my suggestion as well. Leasing is a bad use of money you don't have.

-Colin
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Was out and about this afternoon and saw a Stude Lark (Daytona?).

It was obviously not 'stock' anymore with the dual exhaust off the rear and sounded like it had some cam work done (brrraaapp, brrraaapp, brrraaapp). Body was in good shape, but no side mirrors? The middle aged couple driving looked like they were enjoying it.

-Brian
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Brian: Lark Daytonas were produced 1962-66 (64-66 just called "Daytonas"). V8 powered Daytonas (62-64, Stude 289; 65-66, license-built Chevy 283) could be had with duals from the factory. In fact, 63-64 Daytonas could be had with Paxton superchargers which could bump the hp up close to 300. Lopey cams could be had as a factory option but were extremely rare.

Believe it or not side mirrors were optional, though most had them. Maybe these folks had the car repainted and hadn't reinstalled theirs.

Ed (with more Lark Daytona info than you thought you'd ever want)
    How can you tell if it has the Paxton sc? It could have just been the mufflers making it sound like loopey cams. Could just be the engine size that I'm not familiar with the sound (use to hearing 350 V8's and the like).

It didn't look like it was recently painted, but just in good shape. Chrome was polished.

I apologize for calling it not stock. :)

-Brian
    Externally the only tipoff as to whether a 63-64 Lark or Hawk has a Paxton s/c would be a small grille badge shaped like the Studebaker red/blue "lazy S" with the letter and number "R2" or "R3" on it, and possibly small badges on the fenders that read "Avanti Supercharged." All very subtle. There was also an "R1" package car with just a big 4-bbl carb and a very rare "R4" package with 2x4-bbl carbs. Making Avanti drivetrain options available in their "bread-and-butter" lines was one of the last-gasp efforts Studebaker made to stay in the car business.

Here's a link to some nice pics of a '64 Daytona 2-dr hardtop, in which you can see the badges clearly as well as the Paxton-fed 289:

http://www.eastohiocoolcars.com/Other/1964Studebaker.htm

It has aftermarket wheels but otherwise looks pretty much stock.

Of course once the car got up to speed, you'd definitely hear the Paxton kick in! ;)

Ed
    I don't think the Lark we saw had chromed tail lamps, the lens were definately just red. We were behind the Lark originally, and then slightly to the side (at a stop light). That's how I spotted what it was (Lark emblem on the front quarter, Daytona emblem on the rear quarter). It almost looked like the back was slightly higher than the front, they didn't look like stock wheels. So, if it had front grille badging noting it was a R2/R3, I wouldn't have seen it.

At least we kept this topic moving over the weekend! Thanks again Ed!

-Brian
    Brian, here's a link to a set of pics of a gorgeous bone stock '63 Daytona hardtop:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/trispokeschapter/zonemeet2000.html

This car looks similar to the one from which I draw my screen name, except that mine has 4 doors and the lowly base 170 ci inline 6, plus it's a metallic pewter (called Silver Mist, but closer to the color of a Tampa Bay Bucs football helmet).

Yes it is a good Cafe topic, isn't it? ;)

Thanks,

Ed

the second picture down on that last link sure looks like what we saw.

-Brian
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Finally got a chance to log on and read some posts. I had a great time at the show. While I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Nassau, and now live in Dutchess, I rarely get to the city. Hell, I know my way around DC better than NYC!! And I haven't been to the auto show since my dad took me in '71. So it was a good day to get re-acquanted...

Took the 9am train to Grand Central, bought a 1 day metrocard, subway down town to Fulton St., walked to South Street Seaport and got a ticket to the WTC Gnd Zero viewing area. Even though it was marked 5pm, they let me go immediately as I had a prepaid ticket to the auto show and train ticket showing it as a one day excursion. Paid my respects, then caught a subway uptown to Time SQ, then walked to the Javits Center. (Oh, and forgot to add - ate street vendor food all across town....). Was exhausted by the time I got there at almost 2pm but quickly caught a 'second wind' as soon as I walked in the door!

Spent 8+ thrilling hours and never saw 100% of the place. Left at 10:15pm, walked up to 42nd St and caught a bus back to Grand Central. Got home (Hopewell Jnct) at about 12:30am. The only bummer was doing this adventure alone. It would have been fun to share.

The show did not disappoint. There is some great stuff coming to a dealer near you in the next two years or so. The hot segment is the 'cross-over' vehicle. Slightly raised station wagon body, usually with awd. Gee, sounds like the Subaru formula??? Which should serve as a wakeup call to our favorite mfgr. The competition will be fierce by mid-decade. Time for a serious infusion of power and more transmission gears across the board to help maintain / increase market share.

Steve
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    That part of this adventure was as a birthday present to myself. Turned 45 on April 6th.

Steve
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    belated Birthday wishes to you Steve :D
    I'll always be 2yrs 6mths 2 days behind you ;-)

"Time for a serious infusion of power and more transmission gears across the board"
    It's always easy to add more power/gears. I think; to be ahead of the competition, which Subaru is, is to concentrate on improving (R&D) the AWD to be use with more power/gears available.

-Dave
    More competition for Subaru: an AWD Focus is coming next time around...

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38923<

Lutz news

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0204/08/b01-458851.htm

Bob
    One day in NY was not enough. I woke early and slept late and still didn't get to do a dozen things I would have wanted to. Next year I may get a hotel room.

The deli food was great, but I'm still craving NY Pizza, and the bagels and donuts you buy from street vendors - yum! Did not see ground zero, or a Broadway Show. Gotta go back soon.

Happy belated B-Day!

The next few years will bring unprecedented pressure on Subaru. Everyone will have an AWD wagon, once a niche they had to themselves.

So, how can they stand out?

* retain AWD only models
    * retain boxer engines only
    * offer bigger wagons
    * traction + technology
    * power + application of power

The first three are no-brainers. Keep the identity but expand the lineup.

The last two mean more traction control, stability control, varialbe valve timing, forced induction, and trannies with more ratios. Forget five, give us a SIX speed shiftronic for the top-end Foresters, Legacys, and Outbacks.

Lead, don't follow. Every manufacturer in the planet is in your rear view mirror. Let's keep it that way! :-)

-juice
    By offering an AWD Focus Ford has the opportunity to increase the exposure of the WRC in North America - rallying has a small but fanatical following here and this could give the casual fan a model they can "relate to." Increasing WRC exposure could increase interest in the other models running on the circuit, which could benefit Hyundai and Mitsubishi as well as Subaru. The French manufacturers? Well, maybe not. VW? Only if they start selling Skodas here or replace the Octavia with a Golf or Jetta. Actually the former could be an option given that VW is pushing its brand upmarket.

Ed
    Subaru needs to offer the "best" (and best-for-the-buck) AWD out there. As the competition grows, Subaru needs to focus even more on what it means to be a "Subaru."

Bob