Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    You're a good man. Keep it up.

Steve
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Nope didn't hear about it but if a regular car plowed into him the result would have probably been the same.

Why must we blame the vehicle? Why not blame the poor driving skills? Poor training? etc?

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Trucks are profitable, so no wonder they offer more and more models. How many does Toyota have, about 50? One for every size and off-roadability preference.

I can't BELIEVE someone used WTLW on me! ;-)

Too bad that Sentra wasn't on that ship. It might have floated though!

I don't like gas guzzlers either, but you have to change the demand, not ban supply or limit choices.

Loosh: you peeved about the whole scandal in Boston too? It's enough to make one change his faith (I was raised Catholic).

My daughter goes to a Methodist pre-school, and we like it. I need a "religion for dummies" book to read and decide where our beliefs have a best fit.

The warmest and most welcoming church I've ever been to was another Methodist church, the one my cousin attends. They always ask if there are any new members and ask you to introduce yourself. Too bad it's kind of a hike for us.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    You are correct. It really is the driver, however, I find most people driving these vehicles do not know how to handle them and believe they have no weaknesses. I do not want to get into this conversation though. The person driving the Jeep was 20 years old, too.

Greg
    IMHO if trucks get loopholes and don't have to meet the same safety standards (roof crush resistance, bumpers, etc.), then the driving test should be different. Have a class for cars, another for trucks. Then they could teach proper techniques for driving taller vehicles.

You get a different license for motorcycles, so have a different class for light trucks as well.

-juice
    I'm all for more training.

:)

-mike
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    juice, a book I read many, many years ago "So, What's the Difference?" really clarified the different religions. It's written from a Christian point of view. I have no idea if it's still in print.

Jim
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068

This is one time I'll say, "Shoot the messenger".
    The Priest isn't the church, or is the building we worship in. We, the people, are the church. The church did not fail; the priest failed the church.

-Dave
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Here's a link to a story about the Jeep crashing into the state trooper:

http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_story_354085741.html

It was caused by the Jeep changing lanes and clipping a car. The trooper was on the side of the road at an accident scene. There's a question about whether or not the troopers Crown Victora had been retrofitted with a gas tank shield.

-Dennis
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Went from a Lincoln Navigator to a Toyota Prius hybrid, and now thinks every SUV owner should do the same. Give me a break...

* = Notice how I tied SUVs and religion together in one post! ;)

Bob
    A-M-E-N!

:)

-mike
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Thanks for sharing with us. It's that level of trust, respect and compassion that makes this board so special.

Regarding my daughter, just keep in mind that you'd get the most car-obsessed mother-in-law in the world who wouldn't mind her son-in-law spending $$$ for autoparts and performance (car's not his :-) upgrades
    Too bad I don't live in SF... :)

Kate would make a great mother-in-law, we'd even share boxy 80s cars!

-mike
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Hang in there...don't rush, and enjoy your life...you have lots of friends here.
    Serge
    Jim: that's a good tip, I'll search for it. I just want a chart that breaks down the major differences.

Nice job tying the two, Bob!

Dave: it was more than the priest, it was a system that failed to discipline him, and tried to cover the whole thing up.

But really I just have a lot of philosophical differences, and think the Catholic church is, oh, about 2 centuries behind modern science. I used to call myself a "Modern Catholic" but that's sort of wearing thin.

-juice
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    (are we gonna talk politics next???)
    at any rate, as someone who has visited in all kinds of churches, but was raised and has been active in Methodist churches ... seemed to me that lots of people from all sorts of backgrounds fit in well in the Methodist churches of which I've been a part .. most are very welcoming ...
    Hey, this is the off-topic topic, after all. Plus, I'm allowed to criticize my own religion. ;-)

So, how 'bout that Lott controversy...OOPS! J/K!

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    You took the words right out of my mouth, as a practising catholic I am as pissed as the next guy at the abusive priests, you are right though, we are the church not any individual priest or Cardinal for that matter.

BTW. this problem is not only happening in the catholic church it is happening in all religions, there are bad apples everywhere.

Juice, most of the priests in the Boston diocess wanted the Cardinal to resign because of his handling of the matter, and just this year the Pope issued a worldwide public apology for the abuses of priests.

While this matter leaves a bad taste in my mouth,IMHO, it is a copout to use it as an excuse to leave the church, faith is a private matter between us and our God, in the end I don't believe it matters a hoot what church we worship in.

Cheers Pat.
    Hey, as soon as I mentioned it, Lott resigned. Coincidence? I mean, I know the auto manufacturers read these boards, but do politicians too? ;-)

I guess it would be like dropping the Republican party, if you're a member, because of the Lott controversy.

But Pat, it's much more than that. A lot of it is differences in the values they preach, so we're trying to decide how/where to raise our daughter. We do want there to be faith in her upbringing, we're just deciding how to go about it.

Besides, we haven't given up yet, Charlie will be baptized on 12/30 in a Catholic church in Brazil, along side his cousin Arthur.

-juice
    I was not addressing you personally about copping out, I am not sure what you are referring to in differences in values they preach, I said I was a practicing catholic and I am, but I do not take everything I hear in church on blind faith.

You have to be able to use common sense also in sifting the wheat from the chaff as it were, but to get back to the biggie that is turning peoples stomachs at the minute, and that is the abuse of children by the clergy.

Children are being abused on a daily basis by people from all walks of life,policemen, teachers, ordinary people, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, while I am not for one minute condoning the behaviour of priests, or worse the attempted cover up, it makes for more sensational news when the abuser is a priest or a minister.

While it is no consolation to the people who have been abused, taken in relation to the number of good clergy throughout the world the number of abusers is small, and before anybody else says it I will,one abuser is one too many.

We cannot build walls around our kids much as we would like to, therefore it is our job to teach them to be vigilant, to be able to trust us enough to come talk to us, many of the problems coming to light now are because the kids that were abused were unable to talk to anybody.

Cheers Pat.
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    ...and that infers a relationship to food...

What's everyone doing for Christmas dinner? Any extra special plans, traditions, or the like?

I'll start... since we do turkey on Thanksgiving, we started a prime-rib dinner tradition for Christmas several years ago... roasted asparagus, mashed potatoes, Nana's homemade rolls, local wine... nothing real fancy, but it sure makes for a nice table, and boffo leftovers! (think prime rib soup!)

Our extra-added bonus is a Christmas Eve dinner at my Dad's assisted living complex... he gets to show off the grandkids, and somebody else besides us gets to cook & do the dishes!

Good food, good meat, Good God, let's eat!
    Cheers!
    Paul
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    deep fried turkey for Christmas Eve dinner, and probably a ham for Christmas day.

-Brian

• locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    christmas on my father's side is tomorrow evening... we're having it at my aunt's house which is unusual. about 75% of the time we'll be at my grandmother's.

being at the aunt's is good for two reasons; more room for all the bodies, and better food. whomever hosts tends to fix most of the food, and bless g-ma's heart but my aunt's cooking wins easily.

plus I couldn't eat anything at thanksgiving... so I don't care *what* is on the menu it's going to be wonderful. :-D

-Colin
    I've been cooking for two days and our dinner is tomorrow ... so far ..

fudge (one batch with nuts and one without)
    divinity
    date loaf
    MF cookies (no bake chocolate/peanut butter/oatmeal)
    forgotten cookies (meringue with choc chips&nuts)
    hot and spicy chex mix
    (My family had a tradition of making candy at Christmas, and using my grandmother's recipes makes me feel closer to her once more ...)

Then once the snacks and most of the sweets were done ...
    I've also cooked the green beans with bacon and onion, the fresh sweet potatoes are cooked and ready to be made into a souffle tomorrow, broccoli slaw salad, cornbread is baked for the dressing, chicken is boiled for the broth to use in the dressing, pecan pie is in the oven, fresh cranberry sauce ...

tomorrow I'll cut up and saute the green onions, bell pepper, and celery for the cornbread dressing, cook the turkey, put together the sweet potato souffle, let the b/f cook the brussel sprouts the way HE likes them,
    warm up the vegetables, heat up the bread, slice the ham that the guests are bringing, and make the fruit salad that is super easy but tastes like you slaved all day on it .. lol

think that's enough or should I cook something else???? It's not the first time I've done the holiday dinner, but it IS the first time I've cooked it for the b/f's parents and kids!!

Happy holidays to you all ...
    Stay safe ...
    Brenda
    That's my plan for tonight. Have to make my Tomatoe Sauce for tomorrow. :)

-mike
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    Y'all are makin' me HUNGRY!

Brenda - Sounds like quite a feast!

I'll be heading to my fiancee's parents. The traditional Christmas eve prime rib...and for desert Bouche de Noelle. Mmmmm.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

-Ian
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Made carrot-ginger soup last night, pork loin tonight, Buche de Noel in the works as well. Maybe some madeleines if time permits

Ed
  • artgeckoartgecko Member Posts: 78
    You are all talking about great dinners, while this guy is stuck at Burger King. Well, at least he has the holiday spirit!

http://www.pquinn.com/fries/

Don't eat too much!

Steve

arrived in my chimney, er, mailbox, on Christmas Eve: Brochures on various Japanese Subies!

There was a brochure on the new Impreza sedans, including the STi; a brochure on the Impreza wagons; a brochure on the Blitzen H-6, sedan & wagon; a brochure/packet on the Forester Cross Sports; and mis. model-specific accessory/price brochures. All-in-all, a perfect stocking stuffer! Now, if only I could read Japanese!!

I few things I did pick up:

• It appears all sedans, even base Imprezas, have rear wipers. Why we don't see this feature on sedans over here, is beyond me?!

• I believe all WRXs and STIs come with HID headlights.

• The new Imprezas look much better in *good* photos, than what you see on web sites, with their poor (72) resolution.

Ken, what was that gizmo, between the front seats next to the hand brake, on the Forester Cross Sports? It looked like it had a bunch of buttons, and was long and skinny?

Ken, the STi-spec C, I believe is a bare-bones competition model. What features is it lacking from the more *luxurious* regular STI? I see it had roof scoop. Does that mean no A/C? Also, I see there version available with 16" 205/55 tires, mounted on steel wheels. What's the deal with that?

Bob
    what time is dinner?? Sounds great.

My brother in law loves to cook. He is bringing over a turkey cooked in peanut oil in an outdoor cooker. He'll be cooking in a snow storm - should be fun.

Greg
    It's just the dog and me at home this Christmas. I'm thinking of a half rack of lamb and salad for dinner. The other half rack will become lamb chops later in the week. If the weather is good, may grill the chops first and have the rack second.

Being able to eat whatever I want is a rare opportunity.

Jim
    It was all great, and we had a nice visit ...

This has been a 'rough' year for the b/f's parents (and in case it's not that 'clear', the b/f and I bought a house together this year, so it's a very committed relationship!). In August, the oldest daughter who had just turned 50 (and had lived near parents all her life) died. Then in early October, their dog who had been the 'baby' for about 15 years died. Early yesterday morning, the b/f's mother's mother died. She had Alzheimer's and had been in a nursing home for about 6 years and was 91 years old. His mother was with her as she'd had problems all day on Monday, and she said she just "slipped away" about 8 yesterday morning. They had already planned to be here with us for Xmas eve and Xmas, and as nothing could really be arranged til after Xmas they came anyway (from about 2 hours away).
    My heart just goes out to this family for the year of loss they have had ...
    My wife's family has had a very difficult last 2 years. I can understand what your significant other's family (and you) are going through. This millenium has not started out as hoped, in fact it has been a horrible start. Although my wife and I don't care for champagne, I bought a bottle for Jan 1 and hope it helps improve things going forward. Perhaps this will teach us all a lesson - what to be really thankful for.

Merry Christmas,
    Greg
    ...hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Thought of paisan this morning when I read this article in the Phila. Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/classifieds/automotive/4813743.htm

It doesn't seem likely that Isuzu will continue in the US market much longer. Nothing in the article is news to anyone who has followed the story, really.

Ed

It's been long in the running that Isuzus marketing is horrible and their MSRPs were high with heavy discounts. I'm not too worried since my Trooper will last me at least another 5-6 years maybe more if I drive the SVX more. After that I'm sure there will be something to catch my eye, maybe a used Land Cruiser :)

How was everyone's Christmas?

-mike
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    In my opinion, Isuzu makes a great vehicle but has gotten little or no respect. Just look at some of the trash that other car companies sell and compare them to the Rodeo. This situation reminds me of Nissan not long ago. If they had a Carl Goshen (sp?) at Isuzu, my bet is things would change for the better quickly.

CUSAFR
    My concern is how this affects Subaru in Indiana. Overhead costs are distributed across production volume. Produce less and overhead per unit goes up. Even though Isuzu will be paying millions to SIA, we don't know if it's enough to cover overhead. Will Subaru need to raise prices due to potentially increased production costs?

Jim
    it's just a matter of time before everything that comes out of the Indiana factory will be Subarus. Isuzu, as a seller of SUVs here in America, will disappear within 3 years, if not sooner.

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Just got back from the folks house in western NC. We had a dusting of snow on Christmas morning but it was at least enough to set the mood. The Christmas dinner entree was rare roast beast (yum!).

Colin- Here's hoping that 2k3 will be a better year for you! Keep taking one day at a time and you'll be fine.

-Frank P.
    I went there yesterday afternoon. As usual, a mediocre show, at best. The DC auto show is actually the last of this year's auto shows. All the concept vehicle there have been seen before at other shows. Rarely is there anything new being shown for the first time, although occasionally there may be a surprise or two, but not his year. The new auto show season kicks off in a couple of weeks with both LA and Detroit.

Comments:

• The Honda Element stirred a *LOT* of interest. There were people crawling all over the 2 Elements on display.

• Sat in the Nissan Murano. While a great looking vehicle, I see it as style over substance. I do like the standard 18" wheels and the CVT tranny. It's being marketed as an "Urban SUV." That pretty much says it all...

• Infiniti had the QX45 on display. The rep I spoke to working the the display, didn't know diddly about the vehicle...

• GMC had a cut-away of their upcoming Envoy XUV. Besides the power sliding rear roof, there is a power mid-gate window, which is part of the folding rear seat. This give the cargo area the ability to be completely sealed off from the passenger area. The brochure even said it could be hosed out, and/or left open in the rain, just like a pickup bed!

• Had a chance to really look over the Kia Sorento. Very impressive indeed—especially for the price! Kia has a real winner here.

• The Subie display was a disappointment. All they had on display were: 3 Foresters, 2 Bajas, 2 WRXs (sedan & wagon), 1 LL Bean wagon, 1 base Outback wagon, and 1 Legacy SE sedan. There was no Outback Sport or Legacy GT on display. Only the Forester lineup was fully represented in terms of models. Unlike the Honda Element, hardly anybody was looking at the Baja. Really pretty sad...

Bob
    All,

Thanks for the continued kind words. I had a great Christmas since I had my health and a few quality days with friends and family. My jaw isn't "right" but isn't getting inflammed and causing migranes any more. Went in for xrays and molds today, next visit with the doc is 1/6.

I visited the ex-inlaws late xmas eve at my ex-MIL's request. It wasn't at all awkward, although Toni (the MIL) did get a little emotional at times. It was also great to see Lisa's sister Lora and her husband Burton. They're expecting their first child in March, and I've been trying to stay updated on that. Good people, I'm happy to stay friendly with them.

When I returned to work yesterday I had an email waiting for me from an ex-girlfriend... the one I referred to in post #2858. She basically just said hi, Merry Christmas, here's some things I've been up to, Happy New Year. So I replied back in an equally lighthearted way but I suspect she's on vacation. I'm now trying to decide if I should 'return home' to the church where she goes Sunday, because I know there's a good chance I'll find her there.

Trying to discern what He would have me do...

-Colin
    ...it confirms that most posters do so on the job (shhh...).

Ed
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    jeez, I'm still trying to figure out what He would drive!! =8^O j/k

I think you did the right thing emailing her back. Going back to the same church on Sunday could send a louder message than you want to right now; but then again maybe you want to. You seem more anxious to reestablish contact here than you did over in OT. I guess that is the deciding factor- how willing you are to show your hand this soon after it got burned. Me? I never did learn to stay down, so I'd prolly end up rolling over there Sunday. :)
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    <unprofessional analysis>

You can make (or at least help) a situation anything you want it to be. Your message seems to be saying that you'd at least like to see her. What harm is that? I'd probably do the same in those shoes.

</unprofessional analysis>

My name is Brian, and, I, errr, post, from work. ;-)

-Brian

Loosh-- yeah I did blab about this a lot more in nasioc OT. I've blabbed about this ex-girlfriend a lot there in the past, so I figured what the heck.

Brian-- under the right terms you bet I'd like to see her. although the one time I did see her face-to-face after she stopped returning my calls I was very pissed off. she acted like nothing had happened... I played along too.

Maybe I'll have interesting news come Sunday night.

-Colin
    All's quiet on the western front. It's about 1.5 weeks till the Detroit & LA auto shows, and juice is away...

Bob
    I believe that if you truly live life to the fullest you have to leave yourself open to the possibility of being hurt.

And I am with Loosh nothing ventured, nothing gained, go there Sunday and leave yourself open to the possibility that this time you will click.

Good luck, Cheers Pat,
    Colin, in post 2858, you mentioned early service at 8:45...is there a slightly later service you can attend? I surely wouldn't want to get-up that early on a Sunday!

BTW, attend church to receive God's message. Everything else is either a blessing or something to make you stronger (a trial). Remember, He won't test us beyond our ability to endure.

Years ago, a guest speaker at our church said he never prays for patience because he didn't want to go thru the trials to develop patience.

Jim
    Jim--

yes, the 11 AM service is the one in which I had been attending with Deanna. I'd been avoiding her and thus that service, but was unable to get up early enough for the 8:45 so I'd tried many other churches. Catholic mass is interesting. My mentor's Church of Christ probably felt closest to something I could call home besides the place I started and was baptized in.

-Colin