Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I would probably go for it if it was me. Now that christmas is over the church should be empty enough for you to find her (sorry, pet peeve).

Greg
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    After having two wonderfull Subies rust out before they wore out (though they did last 10 years each), I would like to rustproof my new Impreza (don't have it yet but will soon). What is the best method of doing this, where is it done, how often, and what material is used? Also, my mom would like to rustproof her 1998 Impreza (has no rust yet), but I think it might be too late. This is probably not the place to discuss this topic, but I don't know where to go!
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Stay away from Ziebart and all the rest of the wax based rustproofing they do not work period, and can actually make the car rust quicker by blocking up drain holes.

I have had every car I owned rustproofed with either Krown rust proofing rust check is another one, or any of the other ev nironmently friendly oil treatments, I have always owned Hondas before buying Subaru, I have sold all my cars at around 10 years old and all were rust free.

The oil treatment is done yearly, It costs me $100 CDN. per year.I do not know if you have similar places in the your area but I would recommend this as the way to go.

Cheers Pat.
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    Is it too late for my mom to oil-treat her 5 year old car? Would it cover some small rust spots and let them grow under the oil coat (as I think might happen)?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    was a big problem for Japanese cars 10-20 years ago. I don't think it's an issue now.

Bob
    Just tried logging on to the I-Club (not nasioc), and the site could not be found?! Anybody else have the same problem?

Bob
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    try this...works for me

http://www.i-club.com/
    Its never too late with Krown and rustcheck rustproofing, while they will not cure rust that has started they do slow down the spread, have your moms car done it is well worth it.

The nice thing about having it done on a new car is that it makes mechanics life much simpler as the car ages it prevents nuts and bolts seizing due to rust. B.T.W. what part of Canada are you in?
    Cheers Pat.
    Au Contraire Bob, they still rust, I saw a 4 year old Impreza today with an advanced case of the rusties on the left rear door and signs of rust starting in a couple of other places.

I spoke to the owner and the rust started on the door where the skin is folded over the frame, he did try to address the problem through his dealer but was told that the rust is surface not perforated.he did have it sandblasted and painted once at his expense but because the rust is in the seam it quickly returned.

Technically it is surface but the door will be total junk by the time is considered a perforation, while I agree that cars are better than they were, I still believe they need all the help they can get in this inhospitable climate that is Canada in the winter.

Cheers Pat.
    I think the rusting that Joybell was referring to was *huge* problem years ago. I'm sure rust can still be a problem—with any car, under the right circumstances. In fact, I had an F-150 rust away, because it was parked in a damp area, for long periods at a time. I just think current Subies, and other Japanese brands, are far less susceptible today, than in the past.

Bob
    Your link worked, but my old link still doesn't!?

I've logged on several times since they switched sites a month or so ago. Did they change their URL again? Anyway, thanks. I've bookmarked the new link.

Bob
    We are in agreement that cars are definitly better than they were, but Joy referred to the fact that she had two subes rust out long before they were mechanically dead.

She wants to keep her new one longer than that if possible.

As an example I had a 1979 and a 1983 Accord both cars were notorious for rusting, I had them both treated with Rustcheck every year and both were rustfree when I sold them, both of them were over eight years old when I did sell them.

Given the copious amounts of salt dumped on the roads here believe me, cars need all the help they can get.

Cheers Pat.
    but Joy's Subarus were old cars, probably from that era when rusting was more of an issue, than's with today's cars.

Bob
    They were older cars Bob no doubt, but I would rather have the peace of mind that any extra protection brings, all of my cars are rust free when I am done with them, I have absolutely no trouble selling them.

I have no doubt whatsoever that having them oiled, vastly contributed to the fact that I never have rust problem.

In addition since I started having my cars oiled underneath years ago I have never had to use heat or brute force of any kind to undo nuts and bolts that have been exposed to Ottawa winters for years. This alone for me is worth the cost of the oiling. B.T.W. the oil in question is environmently friendly.

Cheers Pat.
    http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=41858

Interestingly, there's no mention of Subaru...

Bob

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    They're saving it for the Chicago show instead. ;-)

-Brian

They're got a press announce scheduled for Jan. 6 around 4:00 PM. I'm sure that's when the new, face-lifted Imprezas and STI will be introduced.

I also expect some announcement at Chicago, however. Probably the turbo Forester, or turbo Baja, or both!?

Bob
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Bob:

The DC Auto show sounds just like the setup they have for San Francisco. In fact, the Subaru line-up is identical! They probably drive all the vehicles into trailers and ship them back East! BTW, did the brochures get to you? I mailed them on the last day before our two-week office shutdown. If you haven't gotten them by now, I suspect they might be sitting in our mailroom.

Colin:

Catching up here a bit, but I'd go and meet her. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Ken
    Yes the brochres did arrive. I sent you an e-mail, thanking you. It sounds like you didn't get it, so I'll post it here, as I have some questions too:

Ken

Perfect timing! The brochures arrived Christmas Eve! What a nice Christmas present! Thanks again! I know I'll be spending some time going through these. I was especially happy to get the Impreza brochures and the Blitzen H-6 brochure.

Interesting to note—and speaking as a graphic designer—there appears to be very little continuity in terms of design from one brochure to another. They almost look like they were all designed by different designers, who never spoke to one another. You rarely see that in brochure design here in the USA. There's always a very strong "family look" to whatever is being marketed, when it involves various product lines. Also, the accessory brochures have a very "commercial" look to them, as opposed to a "consumer" look. And again, the mixing of English and Japanese, to my eyes looks odd, even though I know it's an accepted practice in Japan. Sure wish I could read Japanese...

Question: I know the Japanese cars are RHD, but it looks as if they *drive* on the same side of the road as we do here in America? Is that correct? A few of the photos in some of the brochures suggest that to be the case.

Also, you had mentioned that juice might have some additional brochures? If so, do you remember which models? I'll have to contact him when he gets back from Brazil. I've also got 3 sets of Impreza accessory brochures. I wonder if he's got any in his collection? If not, I can give him a set so that he has a full set of brochures.

Again, thanks a million! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas. You certainly helped make mine merry! :)

Bob
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Good morning all, just got back home. Got a call yesterday afternoon that my company's facility was broken into between Friday night and then and that my office was one of several that were specifically hit. They broke the lock to my office and stole my PC (laptop with docking station) and a video projector. Several VPs and sales people were hit as well as our A/V webcasting group. Mostly laptops, projectors and video cameras stolen. We suspect an inside job. Fortunately most if not all critical info not on my machine but on the network which is intact.

I will likely be working from home until I get my office machine replaced. Must resist urge to stay out here and surf all day.

So how was everyone else's holiday?

Ed
    That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear the news. Hope they catch the b%*#%$ds!

Bob
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    ken-- I did return home to my old church yesterday but Deanna wasn't there. Her friend / former roommate Jo (a female) was there but I didn't talk to her.

still haven't gotten a reply to my email, so we'll see what direction this goes next. I'm not playing a game where I won't call first, but it would be nice to know if I should even bother.

in the meantime, life goes on and in the next few minutes I'll be leaving for lunch with a nice young accountant I met here at work. ;-)

-Colin
    as told on the Subie NZ site.

http://www.subaru.co.nz/news/index.html?id=440

Bob

• ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    so we've never 'met' ... I have been through a marriage break-up (after 26 years) and subsequent questioning of myself and everything I had ever done, was doing, and would do in my life!!
    I mean, if I had screwed it up so badly once ... with something so important .. maybe I had, was, or would do it again!
    What I realized (fairly quickly in my case, luckily) was that if I closed myself off from all 'hurt', that I also closed myself off to the possbility of a beautiful 'love'. I took quite a few 'risks' - some riskier than others! ... some of which WERE hurtful .. but I also came out with someone who feels so RIGHT!!
    so .. try it ... who knows? ..
    Brenda
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Pat- Your success in the battle against rust is admirable. How much of that success is attributable to the rust proofing you had done and how much is due to your OCD tendencies towards keeping your cars clean is what I'm not sure of. IMHO, today's cars are adequately rust proofed for most driving conditions and combined with regular underbody winter washings, rust shouldn't be a big problem. Of course I don't live in Canada so I will defer to your firsthand experience :-)

-Frank P.
    Bob:

Glad you got them. You probably emailed me at work. Since our company is shutdown during the Xmas-New Year's holidays, I haven't logged in to check mail.

Yes, I noticed that each model line gets a completely different "look" as brochures go. Actually, you can see that in their website as well.

In Japan, people drive on the left hand side and the steering wheel is on the right -- they adopted the British system. Some of the photos may have been shot on location in the US or other LHD countries so you might be seeing some inconsistencies.

I don't remember exactly what juice had, but I think there were some more B4 and Legacy catalogs. I hope that these brochures cause the Crew to get together more often! ;-)

Let me know if you have any other Q's.

Colin:
    One opportunity leads to another... ;-)

Ken
    (living vicariously through his single friends)
    Yes, I must have e-mailed you at work.

<< In Japan, people drive on the left hand side and the steering wheel is on the right -- they adopted the British system. Some of the photos may have been shot on location in the US or other LHD countries so you might be seeing some inconsistencies. >>

So the driver is positioned curb side, and not by the center line that divides the traffic, or did I misunderstand your reply?? Or, when you say "British system," you mean exactly like the British??

Bob
    Bob: In Japan, cars are right hand drive. As they drive on the left side of the road, the drivers are positioned closer to the center line of the road. That's the "British system," i.e. the way they drive in Australia, New Zealand and many other countries that are former parts of the British Empire (Canada a notable exception, I'm sure there are others).

Ed
    I knew the cars were RHD. What confused me, was the (Japanese) brochures Ken sent me, showed the cars being driven on the same side of the road that we do. I just assumed those were photos from Japan.

Bob
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    a few Japanese members for some future visibility.

Greg
    I know that some of the JDM cars are brought here to the states for testing and photo shoots. I've seen several pics of JDM Subarus bearing California license plates which were taken in geographic locales that could not have been in Japan. Maybe the company wants to impart some sort of cachet from being seen in the US and the good old "wild wide open spaces" imagery that conjures up?

Ed
    Bob,

Ed hit it on the head. The brochures probably depict JDM spec models being driven on our roads and hence the driver being closer to curbside. Normally, a driver in Japan on a JDM spec (RHD) vehicle would be closer to the centerline.

Lots of ads in Japan depict Japanese products being used in the US or by US celebrities. Ever see Sly Stalone promoting ham or Tiger Woods chugging canned coffee? It's very bizzare.

Ken
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    If they're going to all that trouble to bring the car over here, maybe they could let us Crew members test drive it. A B4 would do nicely, thank you.

Jim
    as I looked at those photos again, I think they're taken in France, the French Alps to be specific. The license tags are European, and the front tag has an "F" in a small blue field to the left, and is separated by the other numbers. In addition, in one photo, there are off in the distance, some small car-based raised-roof vans, that are very common in Europe. They were taken in a mountainous area, so it's probably the Alps.

Bob
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    8~(
    Those would be French tags, Bob. The French drive on the same side of the road as we do, and domestic and imported cars for the French market are LHD. I think we had the "no more yellow headlights" discussion here earlier.

Ed
    Again, they were shot in a very rocky mountainous area, either the Alps or Pyrenees, would be my guess.

Bob
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    news of the solberg chat has been posted all over impreza.net..... got a feeling I won't be able to get in....
    either thank or castigate me for that...

I really don't expect to be posting, although, depending on how the discussion goes, that may change.

Bob
    I'm with Loosh, I expect the chat to be dominated by people with ScReEnNaMeS L1K3 TH1S, asking questions about how they can get parts like the ones on his WRC car. Maybe I could post by changing my name to...

3d
    I'll probably pass on the chat and just read the transcript once it's posted.

-Brian
    Just caught a glimpse of it tonight on Speed Vision. Besides the usual race-ready Pajaros (Monteros), and Nissans, (huge) race trucks and bikes, there's at least one BMW X-5, and I believe some VW Touareg-based vehicles.

The next stage will be on tomorrow.

Bob
    for spilling the beans over at nasioc. :(

It was simply my enthusiasm overpowering my thinking. It won't happen again, I promise...

Bob
    I may only be partially to blame. It sounds like SOA had contacted nasioc directly regarding Monday's chat.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/announcement.php?s=&forumid=63

Bob

on the home page of the new I-Club&#151;and no, I didn't post it there. :)

Bob
    there is a link on the subaru.com front page too.

Hope Edmunds has some new 3Ghz Hyper threads booted up for serving the chat! ;-)

-Brian
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    2.0ghz with 2mb cache is the fastest >2way shipping right now.

had a 4way Dell on my desk last week. it was staggering at 33k with only 2 hard disks (attaches to our SAN).

...errmm anyway, the chatroom was bombed like mad when Ramana Lageman showed up. I'm sure it'll be crushed Monday.

-Colin
    The Dakar race is one of my favorites, along with the Isle of Man TT. I find these two races even more exciting than the WRC or SSCA rally racing. This year's Dakar has some really interesting vehicles:

&#149; Quad racers! This is the first year, I believe that ATV racers are participating. Picture, if you will an all out quad-racer, with extra body armor, a huge fuel tank and a spare tire, and you pretty much get the idea.

&#149; Mitsubishi SWB Pajaros (Monteros), as usual are very popular. I noticed at least one version with an almost Honda CRX-type body shape. It was a sharp looking racer.

&#149; Nissan had several crew cab Frontier-based racers. One of which had IFS/IRS!

&#149; There is a BMW X-5 racer.

&#149; There is at least one Honda-power car racer.

&#149; There is a Range Rover (chassis) with a Jaguar XJ body attached to it. Imagine a Jag sedan with 37" off-road tires!

&#149; There is a VW Touareg racer. The only thing "Touareg" about it must be under the skin, because the body looks like a full-blown dune buggy. You would never recognize it as a Touareg. It does have the VW logo on it for ID purposes. This Touareg is being raced by Jutta Kleinschmidt who has won the Dakar race outright, in the past.

&#149; There is a wild looking 2WD Ford-engined racer.

&#149; Besides all the above, there are the usual motorcycles and huge trucks too.

It's got to be one of the nuttiest races ever conceived. I love it!!

I would love to see Subaru enter a race-prepared Baja in this event! Why the Baja? I think, for an event like this the Baja makes the most sense. Nissan uses their pickups (rather than SUVs) because the pickup bed makes for very easy access to all the extra spare tires they need to carry. The Subie Baja would have that same advantage.

It will be on again tonight, and probably for ever night thereafter, till it ends. The race started only a few days ago, so what you see on TV is almost current. Again, it's on the Speed Channel.

Bob
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    lmao!

is the posessive.......

own3d? :)
    Minor correction re. the VW. It's not a Touareg, it's a Tarek.

The VW Tarek is a purpose built car for the Paris-Dakar. It's a carbon-kevlar body (designed by Giorgio-Giugiaro), 2.2m wide, 3.06m long and weighs 1,160kg (2,552lbs.).

The car is powered by a VW 1.9 liter 4 cylinder TDI (yup, that's a turbo diesel), which puts out 218PS and 390Nm.

The Tarek has rear wheel drive, and based on its performance so far, no brakes.

Pictures can be seen at:*

http://www.rally-action.com/photo/2002/11/145/gallery.shtml

* = link may not work. :(

Bob