Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Fibber: I've been close to buying my first digital camera, and the ones I'm looking at are the Olympus 3040 or 4040. I gather from your comments that you'd endorse them. I've shot Olympus stuff since they came out with the OM1.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I've had good luck with my Nikon 775. Nice and compact.

-mike
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    And good results, as we all know. Thanks, Mike.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I would highly recommend the following web site. It is to digitcams what Edmunds is to cars:

http://www.dpreview.com/

The 'owner', Phil Askey, has done close to 100 in-depth (like 20+ page) reviews of offerings in the past few years. On the main page, click on "REVIEWS", located on the upper left hand edge. Select one, then use the pulldown menu to see the multiple sections within the review.

He also cross-links to other reviewers (Steve's Digicams, etc.), so you get a broad range of opinions. Plus there are extensive forum pages by manufacturer, much like this Subaru board. I learned a tremendous amount there when I was making the purchase decision.

And yes, he did like the Olympus 3040z very much. It was a good choice. It has all the features I like in an SLR (including such digital rareties as manual focus capable), and a nice grip feel.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc3040z/

I recently bought a $175k Oly optical microscope with digital imaging pkg for my lab, so I have been pretty happy with their professional grade stuff also. Very comparable to Nikon, but less expensive for more features, and sometimes less quirky.

Steve

• bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    gotwrx - If it's a general Subaru question, try the search function at www.i-club.com.

There's some "noise" there, but you can usually find valuable information. It's been a little busy lately, but they have an excellent search function.

-Dennis
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I thought Yamaha did the heads for the V8, too. Maybe not.

Haven't used my camera much - lost my motivation after yet another web site went out of business. Maybe I'll check out Image Station.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    has been fooling around with adjustable suspensions (called Overland) for several years. Here's the latest version:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b041002.htm

Whether it ever makes production, is an open question at this point.

Bob
    I also spoke to the audi people @ the autoshow.

The All-road does have an airbag system similar to the XT6s, no real springs or shocks in the vehicle either.

Even the Audi rep admitted that the vehicle will likely require replacement of them after a while, their answer was "well most of them are leased, and when we get them back we sell em as "certified" that carries a warranty so we aren't too worried about the effects" I thought it was kinda weird that they know it will likely fail, and were perfectly happy with it.

-mike
    I think the Hummer H2 also uses an air suspension. They had a chassis at NY, remember we couldn't find any rear spring/leaf?

Cars are probably engineered for most parts to last just beyond the warranty period. After that, remember - they make a profit off parts and dealers make a profit off labor to replace those bladders.

-juice
    I really think, in order to get the best of both worlds (on-road and off-road), that some sort of adjustable suspension is needed. I agree with those who question the use of air bladders. It sounds like this latest version that Jeep is working doesn't involve air bladders, if I read that link correctly. I also wonder if a hydraulic system is possible? Or even a screw-type system found on a scissors jack?

Bob
    A hydrolic or screw type system would work best. The big problem with a screw type or other adjustable type is that even if you can "lift" the car up, you won't gain wheel travel which is important off-road. That is why strictly doing a body-lift doesn't help much for off-road ability. A manually adjustable system like the old subies had would be cool, they could probably work in a motor to do the part you used to have to do by hand.

-mike
    << The big problem with a screw type or other adjustable type is that even if you can "lift" the car up, you won't gain wheel travel which is important off-road. That is why strictly doing a body-lift doesn't help much for off-road ability. >>

True, but it still helps somewhat. There's less chance of getting hung up on something.

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Please stay away from Image Station. I use it and have had no problems. If you join it's bound to go belly-up in short order. Maybe you can make a deal with them. You won't join and they give you a new WRX.
    :-)

Ross
    LOL, Ross.

I'm getting complexed about it, though, and need more therapy. Maybe I'll follow Pat's rule and wash my car since it's therapeutic. What do you think?

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I recently purchased the Canon S30 and love it. Compact, well built and has a great lens. I was comparing it to the Nikon 885, but all the tests from dpreview.com showed that the lens on the S30 was much better.

Ken
  • gotwrxgotwrx Member Posts: 52
    Karen,
    Thanks for pointer. I tried that but since it seems to only list the discussions and not the posts it's kinda...hate to say it...useless. Especially when the discussions have 1500 posts. Hope you get something better at some point.

bluesubie:
    I agree I-club search is very good. Also their discussion board separates discussion threads which helps with continuity. A bit harder to join in on a running conversation though.
    That almost sounds like a hoax. 10 people? 4 across? More like 7 people in comfort, 2-3-2.

The author brings up a good point about payload, I believe it's in the 800s, they'd need to beef that up substantially.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    If it is based on the CR-V platform, 10 seats it can have, to fit 10 'pint' sizes like ME it will ;) but I think N.A. in general will utilise the seats @ 1.25 seat per butt and that makes it a 7-8 seater. :D

My $0.02

-Dave
    Bob: post it over in the CR-V thread to see that they say.

-juice
    from the "Baja" forum:

Surfboards and Subies, anybody try to fit a surfboard inside a Subie? Will any fit inside a Forester, Outback wagon, or an Outback Sport? If so, what size? I know the front seat would need to be reclined.

As to carrying a surfboard on the roof: Is it better to mount it sideways, or lay it flat on the crossbars? I'm wondering about aerodynamics at highway speeds. If it's flat, would it tend to "lift" like that of an airplane wing? If it were mounted sideways (vertical), would it be subject to cross winds?

Does Yakama, etc., offer Subie roof rack attachments for surfboards? I think I've seen them for kayaks, not sure about surfboards? If so, any idea as to costs?

Bob
    I'm in a rush so I'll make this fast.

I can fit my 6'6" board in my OBS with the rear seats down, and the board kinda sideways. IMO, it's not a good beginner size though. It's possible to learn on that size, but easier on a "funboard" or "longboard". Funboards range from ~6'8" - ~8' (I think).

For the roof I use Rac Rolls (soft racks). These are basically cushions with straps that attach to the factory rack. http://www.wavejammer.com/surf/accessories/surfAcc20.htm
    It's a tight fit for the pre-'02 OBS racks, but they do work. I've used them for about 5 years at Garden State Parkway speeds.

I'm not sure about Yakima, but Thule makes surf racks. You could probably check Thule.com.
    http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/carrier_water.asp

A board should go the length of the car, and is a matter of preference. I choose the way the pic above shows. Tail in the front, fins facing up. It's just the way I was shown. You could also put the nose towards the front. It would be more aerodynamic, but I think the other way looks better. A good surfboard rack, whether hard or soft, will keep a board very secure.

-Dennis
    Thanks Dennis! :)

Bob
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Ed: What do you think about this 63'Studebaker Lark on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1820522237

Stephen
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    That's a really nice car and probably worth the asking price. The only issue for a prospective buyer is the lack of a title.

In comparison to my own '63 this one is more interesting from a collector's point of view: it's a 2-door w/V8 and manual, whereas mine's a 4-door w/6-cyl and automatic (a real slug in the acceleration department). The only thing better would be if it had overdrive - it probably has a Hill Holder clutch (there - Subaru connection). I have the reclining seat interior as well, though mine is solid red, not two-tone. Mine is also the Cutom trim level, the highest you could get for a 6-cyl but not for a V8 (that'd be Daytona for a 2-door, Cruiser for a 4-door). The white roof is not original unless the dealer did the paint job - not a factory option. It looks to be an excellent driver and with a little prep a reasonable show car.

(Edit: Upon closer inspection, the car looks to be a full repaint. There should be "STUDEBAKER" block letters across the trunklid above the gas cap, and "LARK" block letters on the front fenders ahead of the wheels and below the chrome belt line trim. Maybe forgot to put them on but it looks like the mounting holes have been filled. Also, follow the links to the pics on Yahoo!; you can see a lot of red overspray on the radiator and inside the engine bay. Sloppy prep work - maybe a Maaco job. In addition, the wheel covers are '64s - but '63s are plentiful - heck I have spares! Doesn't affect my overall impression of the car, especially if it's mechanically sound.)

If we had won the Big Game last night - nobody did, apparently - and had the disposable income I'd snap it up and deal with the consquences later. Of course I'd recommend a visual inspection but that's one good thing about being in the Studebaker Drivers Club - lots of local people who'd be happy to do that for you. As it is I will put it on my ebay "watched items" list.

Thanks for asking,
    Ed
    Thanks for your knowledgeable reply! I knew you'd give me the 411 on it! :-) You see, I've discovered ebay and with the extra time on my hands, it's become a dangerous thing. I've always liked early Ramblers & Studebakers. I rationalized that I could afford $3k from my savings. Of course, I don't need 2 cars...purely irresponsible on my part but I figured I'd research and dream... :-)

Stephen
    There are a lot of nice, well-preserved older cars - Studes included - in your neck of the woods. Saw a '63 sliding roof wagon parked near the troll under the bridge in February '01 that would've been a great resto candidate. A running, driving '62 sedan near the UW. A couple of well-kept Stude 1/2-ton pickups on the OP. I found mine on a farm in NJ for $600, have put about $4K into it. Will I ever get that back? Maybe. Has it been worth it? You bet. The cameraderie alone has been worth it. When things are crazy at work and at home, I go into the garage and putter with it, or take it out for a spin. Always have to allow extra time for people asking questions. I didn't think I could justify a second car - still don't sometimes - but except for the slow oil leak on the garage floor this one isn't terribly intrusive.

I get the feeling I'm gonna have to run into you next time I'm out there and not paddling or visiting friends. There's a nice little brew pub in or near Ballard IIRC that'd be great for sitting and talking cars.

Ed
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    2 cars isn't irresponsible, it's a good start. ;-)

-Colin
    Yes sirree bob, I'll be there with my glass a beggin for a refil!

The Lark ebay link I sent you is in MA I believe.
    I'd actually like to find a Lark w/the folding fabric roof but alas it would be more than $3k for an example that didn't need a lot of work I fear. :-(

Colin: I agree with you....but you're enabling me! LOL!

Stephen
    when I noticed my neighbor's son-in-law from across the street drove up in a brand new CRV, pulling a 5' x 8' Class I utility trailer (they were about to do some yard work too).

Shortly my neighbor and his son-in-law left, only to return in about a 1/2 hour with the trailer loaded with large bags of mulch. I'm guessing 15-20 or so 70 pound bags per load, and they did three loads! My guess is they were very close, if not over, to the CRV's 1500 pound tow limit.

After a while I went over and talked to the son-in-law about his new ride and the new trailer, and he said the CRV handled the load just fine.

Bob
    The canvas-roofed Larks were called "Skytops" and, if not well maintained, did leak. Available '61-63, most were 2-doors but I've seen a few 4-doors as well. A local club member had a '61 2-door for sale about 2 years ago that was pretty rusty but, ironically, not in the roof area. He sold it IIRC to a guy in Maryland who shapes them up a bit then flips them on ebay.

I too have used ebay for parts but, unless it's essential to my resotration, I back out when the prices get crazy. There are some people out there who are hoarding parts which ticks me off but if that's how they've decided to make their living I can't really fault them. Studes are still more affordable to restore and drive than many other US marques still in business, and the vast majority of club members will be helpful if it means keeping another one on the road and away from the crusher.

Ed
    this Lincoln spokesman is a born politician; a pickup truck designed to hold a set of golf clubs. Yeah, right. The Blackwood was a loser from day one...

Bob

http://edmunds.yellowbrix.com/pages/edmunds/Story.nsp?story_id=29246612&ID=edmunds
    V8 coupe, $2 grand, not bad!

I'm with Colin, you need at least one spare car, to use while the project car is up on jack stands. :-)

Bob: was that a 2.4l model? I wouldn't recommend that with a 2.0l engine.

I don't even believe the part about the 18 month run. I doubt they'd invest the cash and then only sell a couple hundred. Ford will have huge losses on this one.

In hindsight, it's was a planned failure. Let's sell an SUV without the utility, without 4WD, for a really high price. It's almost like they were dared to see how ridiculous the price could get and still sell a pickup truck.

-juice
    Juice, I'm assuming you're referring to the CRV? If so, yes. It was brand new, with only 450 miles on it.

Bob
    Yeah, the new engine has almost 30 ft-lbs more than the old one, which I'm sure had something to do with the uprated towing capacity.

-juice
    I still can't get over how now that the new CR-V has more power, CR-V enthusiasts that defended the old model as having plenty of power are quick to admit that the old one was underpowered. ;-)

Ken
    True, and funny.

But my main battle cry has been "Content" on the Forester, and we've noticed at least 3 things that fell victim to cost cutting: bumper step pad, front mud guard, and cargo mat.

All along I've felt that Subaru's ace in the hole was standard content. Chipping away at this is not the right thing to do!

-juice
    << All along I've felt that Subaru's ace in the hole was standard content. Chipping away at this is not the right thing to do! >>

Bob
    juice,

True. It's unfortunate that the three items they dinged were useful, IMO.

Ken
    Truly? I'd give up power mirrors (which I don't have and never miss) rather than those.

It'll be easier to forgive if prices are flat. $20,295 is the current starting point. Better yet, take it back down to $19,995 and I'll say no more on the subject.

Still, I'd rather the price have been maybe $200 higher and kept all that stuff.

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Can I have a cup of Brazilian coffee please?
    Speaking of Brazilia, I have a question for our fearless leader. I've got an itch to travel in South America. In particular, I'm looking into a tour that starts in Brazil (Manaus) then proceeds to Rio, then to Iguassu Falls, Buenos Aires and then onto Santiago de Chile. What's the best time to travel there? I'm looking into dates between mid-Sep to early-Dec... I know I cannot get it perfect for every place, given the wide North-South span of the tour, but something which is reasonable?

Please advise. Thanks!
    --kate the traveler
    Um cafezinho, ja ja.

December is a bit hot, sort of the beginning of summer, and it's peak season for travel so air fare may be higher. Rainy season is May-June, so you're past that. Sounds like a good time frame.

Manaus is basically a city in the middle of the jungle. Get out there, see the Amazon. It's beautiful. It's the "Zona Franca" so import purchases are good, but that's mostly for brazilian tourists buying foreign goods. Eat seafood, like peixe frito (fried fish).

Rio is gorgeous. You have a city with hills surrounding a lake, all wrapped in the most popular beaches in the world, like Copacabana and Ipanema. Touristy, but fun. Do not wear flashy jewelry and travel in groups, though I would say that even for tourists visiting DC. Eat feijoada, a black bean stew.

It's a sin, but I have never been to what they call "Sete Quedas", which (sorry my Canadian friends) makes Niagara Falls seem like a kitchen fawcett. It's so big you'll need a helicopter trip to see it all ($50 and up and worth it). Remember that Brazil has something like 90% of the fresh water in the world. Eat churrasco, you are close enough to the Gauchos to have Brazil's best BBQ.

So you have picked three very distinct cities that will not seem like the same country to you. Not a bad itinerary. I would only add Salvador, Bahia, for the culture, dancing shows, beaches, and friendly NE folks. And what to eat? Bobo de Camarao, a shrimp dish.

Sounds like a great trip. Now I'm home sick!

-juice
    Can anyone recommend a reputable independent mechanic in the NYC area (preferably in Brooklyn or Manhattan) that either specializes or works on Saabs?

My dad's looking for a shop to service his 900 S.

Ken
    My subaru salesman lives in brooklyn and is a HUGE SAAB (2 9000s, his mom has a new 9-5 and an old 900) and Alfa fan. I'll call him today and post up later. I know he'll know a few shops. What does he need done on it?

-mike
    Gary from SCOA was also a member of the Central Penn Saab club, but his web site isn't up any more, so I think he may have folded. I can't reach him. :-(

-juice
    Anyone that happens to be in mid-town Manhattan should check out the Rockefeller Center MC Show running through April 21st.

There is a pretty impressive display of bikes there. Most of them have brakes way bigger than my car. LOL!
    There are vintage bikes, current bikes, scooters, concepts, etc. And it's free.

My favorite was the Suzuki Hayabusa that has a 1300 cc engine and has been clocked by magazines at 194 mph!

Found a write-up here:
    http://www.americanmotor.com/news.cfm?newsid=1949

-Dennis
    Truth is, I wouldn't necessarily mind if Subaru sent a few designers to spend a few days at a bike show to draw inspiration from those designs.

-juice
    I was expecting the BMW there to have the h.o. engine, but it didn't. IIRC, there was an older bike with an h.o. engine. I'll go back today and find out what it is.

A few weeks ago, Rock. Center had an orchid show.
    I thought that would be the pefect place for a Baja. Lincoln was represented there but without a car.

-Dennis
    Mike & juice,

Thanks for checking! I appreciate your help.

Right now it seems like my dad's looking for routine maintenance but he would like to find a place that specializes in Saabs for future reference as well. In the past, he's had to have new struts installed (those NYC potholes) and a new clutch cable put in.

He's gone to the dealer in the past, but they usually end up being quite costly. He lives in Park Slope and works in lower Manhattan so anywhere in the vicinity would be great!

Ken