Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    From the time I was about 13 until, oh, say very recently, I always wanted a 356B or C coupe. That or a '73 Carrera RS. Sadly I don't have the time, patience or wallet to keep one of those roadworthy. They'd be an awful lot of fun on the twisties around here.

That said I do have my boxer watercooled, up front, and driving all four wheels.

Ed
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I believe the Pacifica uses the engine from the 300M and shares some parts with the minivans (though the platform is new, they say). It's overpriced and overweight, though it looks OK.

Bob: remember how many of us had a Boxster on our $100k wish list?! ;-)

Point is, the "aura" of Porsche exists because enthusiasts aspire to own them.

We don't aspire to own Navigators and Escalades with 21" bling-bling wheels and chrome grilles, is that what Porsche wants to become? We laugh at those vehicles used a jewelry.

Sadly, I think you hit the bulls' eye:

5) Porsche wannabes: Celebrities, professional athletes, drug lords, those who just won the lottery, those moving upmarket from Volvos and the like, and anybody else who wants to part with a large sum of cash

Next thing you know Kelsey Grammar is gonna wrap one around a tree. Wait, he already did that with a Viper! :o)

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Billy Joel... Hitting a tree SEVERAL times :(

Then there is Seinfeld who's driving an STi :)

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    We laugh at those vehicles used a jewelry.

but cars are an extension of who we are, or who we want to be, just like clothing and/or jewelry.

Sadly, I think you hit the bulls' eye:

5) Porsche wannabes: Celebrities, professional athletes, drug lords, those who just won the lottery, those moving upmarket from Volvos and the like, and anybody else who wants to part with a large sum of cash.

But it's number 5 as I see it in terms of their priorities. I really think their main priority is keeping current Porsche owners in the Porsche camp. Anybody in sales knows that the easiest "sell" is to current customers, so it's absolutely imperative to keep those customers happy. The next priority is to expand you client base, which items 2 – 5 address.

Bob
  • Options
    Maybe I'm giving current Porsche owners too much credit! LOL

-juice
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    Well gee, the place has expanded since I was here last. Thanks Juice for the tip.

As mentioned elsewhere I've recently become, umm, 'available for work'. I'm a techie, with experience in industrial control systems and computers in general. Most recently I've been doing applications engineering for an ASP. I don't think I share my email address in my profile here so I'll put it in this message, in case anyone has any ideas for me.

wdb@pobox.com

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • Options
    speaking for myself, that not an area in which I have many contacts, but you never know...

Bob
  • Options
    There's a thread over at nasioc stating that the G35 will be getting AWD. I'm assuming it will be an option. One more competitor for the upcoming turbo Legacy...

FWIW, Paul Hansen thinks the Legacy will be the better driving car. He's driven the new Legacy (check out latest reports from apexjapan.com) and G35s; not sure if he driven the G35 AWD, however. He thinks the new G35 AWD will be expensive and heavy, and as we know the new Legacy will be lighter than the current model. As to price, let's keep our fingers crossed...

BTW, Paul thinks the new Legacy is every bit the "Ultimate Driving Machine" as the BMW 3-Series, but will be cheaper.

Bob
  • Options
    I may have posted this somewhere yesterday, but I don't recall for sure...

While at Annapolis Subaru yesterday, the sales guy showed me two pre-sold STis they had: one white and the other black, and both with silver wheels. Apparently the wheel color, gold or silver, can be had with any body color.

One thing the silver wheels do visually, is really accent the gold w/red lettering on the huge Brembro brake calibers. With the gold wheels, the gold Brembros blend in, and you don't see them.

So those of you who want those brake calibers to stand out, silver wheels is the way to go.

Bob
  • Options
    wdb: you don't happen to know ATM switches and network equipment, do you? We were looking for one, actually our vendor Texel was, to replace a buddy of mine that was promoted.

If so, fire off an e-mail to de_juice_man@hotmail.com.

I hope Paul is right!

BTW, I really like the G35, especially the coupe, AWD makes it even more appealing. Price will be an issue, though, they break $30k easily already.

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Hmmm. The G35 with AWD would certainly be something to think about.

Ken
  • Options
    I'd seriously look at it myself. It will probably have a nice RWD bias as well.

-mike
  • Options
    himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Probably'll use the Skyline AWD system for a great rear bias.
  • Options
    Guess so, it should be just like it. While a supposedly fantastic car, it's also more of a GT, not really a sports car. Imagine what the curb weight would be.

-juice
  • Options
    Since 99% of my driving is on the highways and streets, not track. Rather pickup a race-car for track use :)

-mike
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    juice, sounds like WDB is more of a software developer. but that type of job should be easy to fill, there are literally thousands of unemployed former telco employees with those skills.

-Colin
  • Options
    ... and they may have already, but I figured it was worth asking.

Serge was also still looking for a job, last I heard.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • Options
    kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    You mean the chrome wheels, or the maroon of a customer? They could probably do without either.
  • Options
    There are at least two threads over at nasioc pertaining to this issue, one being a poll in which they are trying to get to the bottom of this. They can be found under the STi information forum area.

Bob
  • Options
    If you go to the nasioc Forester forums, there's a thread from someone at Cobb Engineering who drove both the Forester XT and Baja turbo. It's a much more in-depth write-up than the Edmunds Forester XT write-up, and gives good insight as to the power delivery, and how they both drive .

Bob
  • Options
    Caught several episodes of the 2003 Isle of Man TT on the Speed channel this weekend. I saw the Senior TT, the 600 production and sidecar races. As usual, the on-board photography was unbelievable. There is no other motor racing event in the world that is as exciting to watch as these TT races. Even the WRC races pale compared to the Isle of Man TT races for sheer excitement, if not down right terror.

Sadly, the TT this year lived up to its reputation as the most dangerous motorcycle race in the world when David Jefferies was killed when his 1000cc factory Suzuki crashed at over 160 mph in an earlier practice race. Jefferies held the absolute lap record for the 37+ mile mountain circuit, with an average speed of just over 125 mph.

More on David Jefferies:

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/

The Isle of Man course is unforgiving. When you come off a bike, you come off hard—very hard. Chances are you won't slide to an easy stop; instead you'll likely hit a curb and then be thrown into a stone wall, tree, hedge, fence or a building. It is one nasty place to make a mistake on a motorcycle.

Bob
  • Options
    I just saw it today on Broadway and swear the guy in it looks just like Ed!!!! :)

-mike
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    paisan: I went to the cast website to look for pics. Don Quixote is usually a tall, angular guy and Sancho Panza a short, round-faced guy. I guess you're talking about the actor playing Sancho, Ernie Sabella? I can see it, though IMO I have less of a combover and a little younger face. Which makes sense: he looks to have been in acting almost as long as I've been alive. He apparently lent his voice to one of the main characters in The Lion King cartoon, Pumbaa.

Ed
  • Options
    Yeah a rough Ed. Hee Hee. Just reminded me of you!

Still at work, working the 10-8shift this week.

-mike
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I caught some of it last week and over the weekend. I missed the news about Jefferies though.
    Thanks for the link.

-Dennis
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Bob,

I believe the review was written by Trey Cobb himself. And yes -- it was more informative than the Edmund's review.

Ken
  • Options
    Looks like Trey's usual stuff, besides the obvious signature. ;) He does need to watch repetition of words, use a thesarus man! :)

-Colin
  • Options
    Will check that review. Hopefully Edmunds will put some beef in the next one.

STi detonation, eh? I wonder if its a fuel issue, don't they ask for 93 octane?

-juice
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    "oh lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?"
    "my friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends..."
  • Options
    Found it - the C class test drive, that is. Go to C-SpotDriveParty.com and see if you guys can sign up. I'm thinking maybe that Saturday, the first session?

My wife got an invite, don't know why or how.

-juice
  • Options
    For the one at Shea Stadium on July 19th :)

9am

-mike
  • Options
    dual Subaru-Saab dealerships here too?

http://just-auto.com/nd.asp?art=41245&dm=yes

Bob
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    mike-
    See ya there 9:00am :D

-Dave
  • Options
    Combined dealers doesn't make sense if they're going to sell rebadged Subies. Way too much overlap.

-juice
  • Options
    I signed up Zephyr too.

-mike
  • Options
    BUMMER, all the DC dates are full. We got on the wait list.

We can go, but they don't guarantee a test drive. Lame.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    doubt it. no way they could compete on price!

-Colin
  • Options
    Edmunds gave the 325xi a scathingly poor review, too. I'm sure the X3 will inherit a lot of that DNA.

I sampled a Vue V6, though the Redline is not out yet. Very disappointing. Coarse engine, with not a lot of output. 181hp is 4 cylinder power in some cases.

Seats are awful, worst I can recall. Spongy and unsupportive. Without the arm rests I think I'd fall off. The interior has a bizarre two-tone, too. The top is beige and the bottom, gray. I asked and the salesman said the beige interior looks better, it's all beige. Strange cost cutting.

The interior is roomy. Plastics look and feel cheap but I'm sure they're durable. The rear seat cushion is way too low, also. Doors open wide, I liked that.

But overall, an also-ran in this class.

-juice
  • Options
    I wonder if the Forester XT and BMW X3 could be called "Brute Cute Utes?"

Bob
  • Options
    I think they should called SUVs and let's rename everything else! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    Is it legal to post manufacturer service bulletin information on a web forum? I have a service bulletin that some may find helpful, and I would like to post the bulletin number and details, but I don't want to get Edmunds, Subaru reps, or myself into any legal trouble. What do you think? Moderators?
  • Options
    If it's from NHTSA, just post a link. People do it all the time.

-juice
  • Options
    The document I have isn't from NHSTA. It's an official doc from Subaru to the dealers regarding the cold clutch "judder" (Subaru's term for shutter/chatter). I did a search for the number on the NHTSA site, but nothing came up.

-Ty
  • Options
    http://www.vwvortex.com/

http://www.subdriven.com/

Apparently VWvortex.com & Subdriven.com are done by the same folks! The cover story on both sites features the same cars. Also listed on the left are other car sites they do.

More info on these guys and their other car sites:

http://www.vortexmediagroup.com/about.html

Bob
  • Options
    I don't like subdriven.com cause they are a bunch of guys just capitalizing on the subaru market, they aren't die-hard subie guys like the other sites. I'm not a big fan of "johnny come latelys"

:(

I'm more of a grassroots type of guy personally.

-mike
  • Options
    Well I knew it would happen eventually...

Trooper = 1
    Lexus LS430 = 0

Coming to work today a lady in a brand new lexus on the phone is behind me goes to drive around me and clips my right rear bumper. She smacked right into the bumper protector. Pulls up next to me and say "I think I bumped you" I said "It's ok I'm sure it's ok" The front of her car was a tweaked, she'll need a new $700 bumper, once I got to work I checked it out, paint wasn't even taken off the trooper's bumper protector :)

Yippie!

-mike
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

A special pleasure for Paisan

I used to get the same joy from BMW's in snow drifts.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    My older Subies were either a front wheel drive or an "on-demand" four wheel drive. When purhasing my new Forester yesterday, the salesman told us that with the new AWD, when one wheel skids or slips, the electronic system compensates by sending power to the wheel needing it? Sorry if I can't explain it better. But, we purchased a manual (more fun to drive), and when reading the brochure at home, found that the manual transmission is different in that it sends power to the front and back wheels 50-50, and is therefore not the same AWD system as the models with the Automatic transmission. What is the real difference? Which system is the older, more reliable system? The salesman said that they have a 1990 full time AWD Loyale in the yard so this system has been around for a long time (when I expressed by concern about too much electronic stuff that can go wrong). But which system did those older full-time AWD Subies have?