Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    maybe you're on to something Ken. I'm thinking a poll or something to find out how many Soobie owners own Trek bikes. Maybe SOA could do a Trek marketing thing like VW did w/the Golf/Jetta a couple years back.

Oh, for the record, I have a Trek 4300 mtn bike. I upgraded it w/disc brakes. I've only had it for about 4mos. :-)

Stephen
    I've been toying w/the idea of having a older 2nd vehicle that would be capable of towing some limited towing albeit larger payloads than my WRX wagon (that's not hard to do!) :-)

I came across a 70'AMC Rebel SST, one owner. They say it only has 38,000 miles on it but I'm skeptical. The pic looks nice. It has the 360 V8,ps,pb,auto,etc. They are asking $1500. I'm heading down to take a look at it today. I know there's no classic value like a Studebaker Lark (that's for you Ed). Here's the link from ebay. The auction closes today and there have been no bids:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1820307607

Stephen

• kurtdewkurtdew Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 forester 2.5l has a particular exhaust problem that the dealer doesn't seem to hear, yet this one is obvious. The exhaust fumes back-fire when shifting gears somewhere either in the first stage or second stage burn off of the catylic converter. This occurs mainly at cold startup (with a High atmospheric pressure outdoors)and creates a muffled back-fire sound. It has lessened a bit after 12,000 mi but it annoys the heck out of me when shifting. Does anyone have a similar problem with their Suby?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Interesting choice for a "tow" vehicle, to say the least...

I would ask to see the owner's manual, to see if there is any towing information in it. However, being as old as it is (and the fact that a AMC Rebel is not exactly at the top of the list when one thinks of a tow vehicle), there may not be any info on towing at all.

Bob
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Thanks for flattering my humble Lark which, at best, would fetch $5K today as is. A better choice for hauling/towing on ebay that's close to you geographically is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1822511676

If you bought this one and didn't care for it, shoot, I'd take it off your hands!

Ed

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Sure it isn't the boxer-rumble? Subies do have a distinct sound.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bob: if you use it a lot, probably yes. I'm guessing you pay an extra dollar or so per pound of capacity. It may be cheaper to put electric brakes on a regular trailer, though, because then you're buying 1000 pounds more capacity.

I wonder how it "handles" empty. A light trailer might bounce around a lot.

Stephen: nah, look for an old RWD cop car, you know, with the police suspension package? Or just get a beater pickup, Caprice, or Crown Vic. Stick with RWD and a ladder frame if it'll be specifically for towing.

-juice
    I know the Cafe is a catch all, but even this pushes the limits:

Yesterday in Baltimore, a cow somehow got loose, and was running wild through the streets and alleys of the city...

Baltimore's answer: Send in the Baltimore Police SWAT Team! I kid you not...

Bob
    All they needed was one man and a horse!

NHTSA needs a dynamic test.

-juice
    That happened in NYC a few years ago. An Illegal Rodeo in QUeens lost a bull, and the cops were chasing it down in squad cars and shooting at it.

-mike
    I bet those cops were lovin' it, being able to fire their weapons for once.

-juice
  • kurtdewkurtdew Member Posts: 2
    The car's idle is fine (the throaty rev sound is wonderful)however, during a shift; letting off the gas pedal and then shifting, the sound between this interval has a intermittent back-fire. Do you have a 2.5l with this similar exhaust setup?
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Subaru has links with the IMBA

http://www.imba.com/tcc/index.html

and also the Gary Fisher Mountain Bike team.

-Dennis

for a towing vehicle?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1822469072

BTW: Ed, I saw the Travelall and was really interested but the seller ended the auction early to the highest bidder. It went for $2550. That seems to be a great price for a seemingly great condition original IH Travelall.

Stephen

Nice wagon!

-mike
    White walls, vinyl seats, what are you waiting for? ;-)

Update the styling and it's a 2WD Dodge Durango. I'm totally serious.

-juice
    If anyone sees a '77 Transam Black with black leather interior and t-tops let me know. I'm getting the fever for a Bandit Car.

-mike
    My dad had a '78 Z28 T-Top like that. 6.6l IIRC, and we called it the "Maroon Maniac".

I was 10 so it was sweet.

-juice
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    I'm a member of IMBA. I have a Gary Fisher mountain bike. And our Forester of course.
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Two Specialized HardRocks here... both with (ahem) anatomically correct seats :) Kids bikes are more generic. Between the hitch rack, the roof rack, and the back of the OB, we get all 5 bikes loaded for camping!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    hypov, juice, mike, etc.

I think it's time to go home. Goodnight!
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/19/fbi.terror.threats/index.html

-Dennis
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Stephen: $2550 for that Travelall? Aw man, that's a steal!

Dave: Funny they mention they Forester as an "earlier venture" then decline to review its latest update. Flavor of the month syndrome at work?

Dennis: lay low for a while, I guess, if you can.

Ed
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    read 'bout it, and am staying calm.
    Hope they know that Bear Stern moved.

-Dave
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Ed-
    I thought it funny too.
    "Trend Setter", "Spearhead"... would had been a better recognition.

-Dave
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Stephen -- Front discs look nice. How big a difference do they make?

Paul -- I almost purchased a Specialized Rockhopper but I went with Trek because they offered an aluminum frame and better components for the same price.

Subaru used to sponsor/co-brand Specialized, but I think they've switched to Trek lately. Gary Fischer is also owned by Trek so that makes sense.

Yeah, with the weather getting nicer, I think I need to go hit some singletrack soon! There's nothing like the sight of a Subaru loaded up with bikes. It just so fits the image!

Ken
  • artgeckoartgecko Member Posts: 78
    Bridgestone RB-T skinny tired, steel frame, touring road bike, here. Not a drop of gel. Cork wrapped bars with bar-end shifters and a perforated leather saddle with the big brass rivets, just like my old Brooks saddles. A classic touring bike.

Deb has a Panasonic road bike that we converted over to a "cross bike" so she could sit upright. Gel everywhere.

Neither company makes bicycles anymore, and I've been offered more than I paid for mine from a guy in Maine. Seemed odd at the time that people were actually looking for the bicycles that were still made in Japan, instead of the Chinese or Taiwanese ones. It wasn't too long ago that some of the best bikes in the world were either made in Italy, England, or Wisconsin.

We pull the little one in a Burley trailer, and the teenager has a generic Taiwan bike.

Is this another profile thread?
    (middle initial K, hate cats, but we have one anyway which is the exact mirror image of Stephen's, I forget what else was on there...Oh, yea. The dog died, so no dog.)

Steve
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Short follow up: yes the bags were first generation (94 delsol) and yes I do feel that the bags prevented more serious injury.

Now as to bikes: Trek 2300 road bike and trek 8900 mountain bike.

twrx
    73'Dodge Polara SW w/29k orig miles. It is located in Calgary,Canada which is about a 12hr drive from Vancouver B.C. Shipping the car by train would cost me about $120 w/the exchange rate. Much cheaper than flying and picking up the car in Calgary. The motor isn't a 440 but it's a 360 w/4bbl carb. It'll tow plenty. Anyhow...still kicking the idea around. The bid is at $1998, the next bid has to be at least $2123
    Auction closes on the 24th.

Stephen
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Stephen... it's a bargain! :)

Cheers!
    Paul
  • yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    We have two Bridgestones in the family. My wife rides a cross bike (XO 3) and I have a road bike (RB 1). Must say the Japanese also build good bikes. A shame they pulled out of the country several years back. I also ride a Serotta CSi road bike (have logged over 1,500 miles so far this year). Serotta is made in up state New York and is truly a work of art. Hooray for the USA! Maybe not automobiles but, bikes YES.

Like others, I, too, am an IMBA member.

Don
  • artgeckoartgecko Member Posts: 78
    I looked long and hard at the RB-1, but wanted the triple crank ring to pull the trailer. The RB-T was a little longer coupled, if I remember correctly. I still have the catalog upstairs somewhere. That was in '92. I came "that" close to getting the Bianci instead, but never regretted my choice.
    Steve
  • bluesunlionbluesunlion Member Posts: 38
    Man, I miss a coupla hours... and get behind! Anyway, here is my take on the airbag thing.
    I T-Boned someone at about 50 on a country road. (Not my fault, the idiot pulled out of a side street.) I had a 97 Ford Probe, he was driving a mid-80's Chevy pickup.I almost subarined him on impact. Totalled my probe, Airbags went off, burned my stomach and the inside of my arms. The T-shirt I was wearing had the stitchmarks from the bag burned in. 1 knee surgery and many many back problems later, I am still darn glad to have that airbag. I think the damage would have been way worse without it. 1st gen air bags.
    -Rachel
  • handmanhandman Member Posts: 2
    My transmission is not working properly in my 2000 Subaru Impreza (AWD). When cold the car works fine, but after 2 or 3 minutes of driving, the transmission stops working: all rev - no go! I shut it off for a few minutes and I can drive a few more miles. Tranny fluid at proper level. No warning lights on.

Thanks in advance
    I like to discuss the relative merits of vehicles. And I drift over to the comparison threads in the SUV section. I check on complaints on the Subaru Forester at NHTSA every so often. But I'd never taken a look at the Ford Escape history of consumer complaints with NHTSA. Holy Mackerel! The 2001 Escape complaints reads like a complete manifest of the parts that go into making the thing. And the stalling issue! Geez.

I'd make this exasperated exclamation over on a comparison board, but I think I'd stir up too much trouble, and I don't feel that itchy today. The certain of the Escape owners can be pretty vehement in their defense, and now I just feel sorry for them.
    maybe I was feeling itchier than I thought. Sorry.
    for the WRX wagon and a long-term test of the Outback in Moter Trend.
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    I have two Cannondales, one road and one mountain. The mountain bike's so old that it doesn't even have suspension, so I might be looking for a new one this year. (I guess I keep my bikes even longer than I keep my cars). My wife has a recumbent. When I was looking at mountain bikes last week I noticed that Cannondale has entered the recumbent arena, but it's rather pricey at $2000.00.
    from this link, that Honda is beginning to awaken from its conservative coma.

Bob

http://www.usatoday.com/money/bcovthu.htm
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Much as I hate to admit it, the concept of the Element is starting to grow on me. Give it Subaru AWD and I might be able to overlook it's looks. In monotone it might even be tolerable. It seems like the ultimate in "form over function", something that has driven my purchases for most of my car buying life. If it has traditional Honda reliability and a lowish price, it could be a real winner.

Ross
    Yeah, it's clearly the kind of vehicle that will take some time for people to get used to, much like the original VW beetles and vans, the new beetle, and the PT Cruiser. Today, people hardly blink when they see any of those, and if they do—it's usually accompanied with a smile.

Think of it as having sort of an "inner beauty."

:)

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I see the PT Cruiser and New Beetle as being at the other end of the spectrum - looks before utility. Even though the lines of the Cruiser are "interesting", I dislike it intensely for that reason. BTW, in my previous post, I of course meant to say "function over form" - utility first!

Ross
    I agree. My point was that they're all somewhat controversial in terms of looks, therefore take some getting used to.

Bob
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Ken, Yes - Trex is the stuff I put on my deck instead of CCA pressure treated wood!

I picked up a TREK Navigator 200 'comfort' bike on Friday night. Got an inexpensive Thule 'knockoff' at Wally World (Rhode ??) so that we could get it and my daughters bike around. Another great reason to have added a receiver hitch to the OBW. Bought an active lifestyle vehicle, & now beginning to actually live up to the image!

Good to hear from the other Trek owners. It seems to be well engineered, and looks to offer equal or better what Giant, Marin & Jamis (comparable configurations at other nearby bike shops) give for the same money. And it is comfortable! Put a good few miles on it in three days, and can still walk....

Just what I needed, a whole new place to spend money!

Emily and I went to the park this morning, and headed off on one of the hiking trails running along a beautiful stream. The smiles were plastered to both of our faces! We haven't had this much daddy/daughter fun in a long time.

Steve
    According to Automotive News, the extra-length GMC Envoy will have a sliding rear roof panel over the cargo area. Question: Will it be like the (rear) sunroof on the Honda Element, or will it be like the rear sliding panel used on the '60s-era Studebaker Wagonaire?

BTW, anybody here a subscriber to AN? If so, you can access the full article (and give us the full scoop), otherwise you'll be restricted only the intro paragraph shown here.

Bob

http://www.autonews.com/
    I like the Element - more so than the CR-V. The rear hatch opens to provide shelter from the rain (vs. a wrong-way curb blocking door), and it's totally innovative (hose-out interior), all for less money.

Bob: I'll check the print edition, if it's here. It's supposed to arrive today.

All this talk about crossovers, I'm not sure the Matrix qualifies. AWD is a rare option, and ground clearance isn't enough to have SUV buyers cross-shop it. It's a wagon. A nice looking wagon, but a wagon.

Dennis: protests were non-violent, but I still had an excuse to leave work early. :-)

-juice
    I like the element a lot due to the boxy nature. I'll have to go out and test drive one when they hit the dealers.

-mike