Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to Pick a Pickup

Comments

• glenn2glenn2 Member Posts: 39
    Grimes I pull a 32ft 5th wheel with a 93 F-250 diesel. I am in pipeline inspection and have many friends with Dodge and Ford trucks that pull heavy trailers from project to project. I believe Ford solved their cavation problem with an additive. I think its called FW-27. I was not aware of problems with the Dodge Cummins on this. You should not have major or any problems with a diesel at 130,000 miles if you change fuel filters ,air filter, and oil & filter on a regular basis. I have 119,000 miles on my truck and have seen many trucks, both Dodge and Ford with 200,000 plus on them. My truck runs as good as new. These engines are designed for 250,000 and will go that and more with proper care. Diesel repairs are expensive for both engines. Some early Dodge diesels had auto transmission overheating problems but I have not heard of this problem in awhile. Keep your fluid changed often pulling a 29 ft trailer. The Ford and Dodge do not have the same automatic trans. but I do think the 6 speed manuals will be the same. I think the Dodge glow coil is a better system, though glow plugs are easier to work on if needed. I have had no problems with my glow plugs. My truck starts well down to about 10 deg, below that you need the block heater plugged in. With the block heater I have started it down to -20deg. The new Dodge build quality is much improved over the last series of truck. My Father-In-Law has a 97 Dodge and it is holding up fine. I still think the Ford is screwed together a little better but the Dodge has come light years. The new Super Duty 4x4 Ford sits too high for some 5th wheels, check with the folks who build your trailer before you buy. Ford can lower the trucks or you can order them that way. I have known of guys having this done to their trucks at no charge. These are both quality trucks and you won't go wrong buying either one. Good luck.
  • amgbdamgbd Member Posts: 1
    I have pulled a travel trailer for years with a Chevy van (V8), so am quite familiar with pulling travel trailers. However, we are planning on moving up to a 25-27 foot 5th wheel (and, no experience)and are looking for the right tow vehicle. We also would like an extended cab to take our grandkids along from time to time. I have been told that the Dodge, V6, diesel, short bed would be the prefect vehicle for this application. Comments, please! Thanks.
  • talltomtalltom Member Posts: 1
    I too pull a TT with a Chevy van (Hightop). Have pop-ups too and am also looking at moving up the ladder to a truck. The big difference here is I've been told many times that if you want to pull a 5th wheel don't go with a short bed. The space between the fiver and the cab of the trucks is scary in the sharp turns.
    I have a couple of questions too. I'm looking at the Dodge Quad Cab, 2500 with an automatic gas guzzler. Though I might be convinced that a diesel might be nice too.
    I guess my biggest fear with a diesel is A) cost of maint., B) noise, C) don't put a lot of mileage on it during the week, maybe 100 - 150 miles a day. What kind of miles can I expect with gas between city and hwy. Also what about towing a 26foot TT now. One other thing about a diesel, my wife might leave me with all that racket.
  • jvieth2000jvieth2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have been watching for the new invoice prices on the GMC 2500 extended cab trucks. I see the regular cab prices are there for the 2000 models but not the extended cab (2000). I neeed these prices to deal on new purchase. SOON! If this information is available, I would appreciate the information.
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    jvieth2000,

Check www.kelleybluebook.com. They have all 2000 GMC invoice and MSRP prices available. Even the new 4th door option.
  • john217john217 Member Posts: 10
    I am interested in buying a F150 XL -V6 automatic. How does this engine rate in terms of reliability, ease of maintenence, any problems with the auto trans? In my way of thinking, the simpler the engine, the less problems one should have. Am I looking at this the right way, or am I missing something (should I be considering 4.6L-V8)? I'm a yard work guy, light duty, no towing. would really appreciate any help.
    Thanx much,
    John
  • jraskejraske Member Posts: 131
    I am planing on buying a 2000 F350, my only problem is I want the leather interior but I like to take my two large dogs along on trips.
    Does anyone have any experience with leather seats and dogs?
    Or would cloth seats be a better choice with animals?
    The last thing I want is to by a new truck and have the seats destroyed by the dogs claws.
    Thanks for any help,
    John
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    I've got both leather(on my 97 Cobra) and cloth on my 96 F-150.(lease is up and I too am ordering a new truck) Here in Vegas leather sucks. It is just sooo hot when you first sit down and it's cold in the winter. Don't like the looks of sheep skins but I'll probably break down and get 'em. Besides the temp factor I believe leather will scratch way easier than cloth. The F-150 seats have held up fine to a rott and dalmatian for three years. Just my experience.
  • graghostgraghost Member Posts: 3
    I have three boys and a bull mastiff. Leather seats in two vehicles,Yukon & Van, have held up MUCH better than cloth bench in pickup.
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    We need a tie breaker. Anyone?
    thanks graghost & ivstang, for the response, i am going with the leather seats but would still like to hear any body elsees comments about this and if i should do anything special to protect the leather.
    Thanks John
  • schall1schall1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considerinf buying a truck. We are about to move into and a new home that is a real fixer upper, so I need something to haul things in. I can't afford a new truck, I can only spend between $4-6,000 fro one. This will alos be my primary driving vehicle seeing my car is on it's last legs. Any sugestions on what to look at would be apprciated
    schall i have a 94 Dodge Dakota thats in good cond. Thats in your price range. Iam in So.Calif
    if interested leave a message
  • frankt1frankt1 Member Posts: 4
    I am try to decide on which truck (Ford PSD or dodge/Cummins) to buy for towing a 13,000 lb. fifthwheeler. It really boils down to the automatic transmission, as I like about both trucks. I like what I here about the Dodge/Cummins for the engine reliability with a proven record. The Ford PSD seems to be great, as it is newer design and the higher powered PSD engine.

So here is the real question: the Dodge degrades engine HP and Torque of the Cummins engine when the automatic transmission is added. This leads me to believe that the transmission in the Dodge is marginal for the diesel engine. Please give me your thoughts.

Frank
  • marv3marv3 Member Posts: 4
    John,
    Don't have a pick-up, yet, however do have leather seats in the car. Have had them for two years and look like new. Live in Florida and the seats are black. Even wearing shorts, have never been to hot to sit on. Love the leather seats, will probably never go back to cloth.
    Marv
  • bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    I would go with the leather, have a 97 F-150 leather Seats, 98 Expedition, leather seats, German Shepherd and a Sheltie, never had a problem. Easy to keep clean wipe off with damp cloth. Live in Colorado, seats have never been too hot or too cold, at least for me. good luck.
    Bob
  • mjpetersenmjpetersen Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to let everyone know that Budget Rent-A-Car is renting Ford Rangers for $20 per day. Thru December 15th. One rental day must be through a Saturday night.

I am using the opportunity to test one before purchase. It's a great deal, and I'm having a lot of fun with the truck - 900 miles in 3 days!

Here's the URL:

http://www.drivebudget.com/travelers/deals/tvdeals.html#ranger
  • jacarljacarl Member Posts: 4
    I need a truck for every day driving and work.
    I remodel houses, which includes landscaping as well.Sometimes I will need to haul up to 2 to 3 yards max of rock. Regular use will include hauling bauthtubs, drywall, etc for home renovation.Looked at all models and decided that crew cab is the way to go based on family size. This will be my first truck. I saw a 99 Chevy 3500 ls package lb dually crew cab with 5.7 motor for $27600 at local dealer. Is this too much truck? ie Is engine size adequate?
    Gas vs Diesl?
    Other makes?
    Any comments would be appreicated.///jacarl
  • mozeemozee Member Posts: 12
    Hi,Frank I own a 96 Dodge/cummins/auto and can tell you from my experience that neither one of these transmissions were meant for that kind of load.My 2500 long bed 4x4 ready for the road is 7050 lbs empty.If it were a 1ton(which you would need,due to high kingpin#from 13000lb5er)itwould weigh about 300 more.Add yourself,add family,add 5er(13000lb)add cargo,water,etc.You are over 20000 easy,with either Ford or Dodge.I know the highest GCWRfor dodge auto is 18000lb,with 4.10 axle.The ford is (rated) for more,especially in f450/550 with 4.88+rear,but they are not holding up any better than Dodge.My advice:buy Dodge w/245hp/6sp. manual and use the money you saved by not buying the auto to buy an engine brake.With that load you'll be much safer.I also like F350/450 but cummins is so so much better for long haul durability and especially serviceability,thats why I'd go Dodge,either way you can't lose,good luck Johnny D
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Carl,
    If you are set on a crew cab then the Chevy in question isn't too much truck. The 5.7? What year? You might want to consider the 6.0L from GM or a Ford F-250/350 with the V-10. Both would be excellant choices.
    Diesel? Are you going to put some serious miles on her? The investment in a diesel doesn't usually pay off until after 100,000 miles.
  • frankt1frankt1 Member Posts: 4
    Johnny, thanks for the inputs. The fifthwheeler I am planning on will be close to the max GVWR of both Dodge and Ford, but I plan to make sure it does not exceed the manufactures set limits. Safety is first. Yes, I will put the engine bread on either one I get.

I would like to get the manual 6-sp tranny. But the wife is saying she will not drive a truck with a manual transmission, and I really want her too. With a 6-sp manual transmission, both trucks would be much better tow machines.

The question is, which is the better tow truck with an automatic Dodge or Ford. Dodge reduces the horsepower and torque on the diesel engine for the Automatic, Ford does not. Is Dodge/Cummins playing it safer? Is Ford/PSD saying more transmission failers are okay? If we had the failure information from Dodge and Ford, than we would know.
  • jacarljacarl Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input.

Jacarl///
    frank,
    No knock on Dodge but the reason for higher figures on the Ford is because they make a better tranny to match their diesel.
  • bham1bham1 Member Posts: 1
    I WANT TO BUY 4-5 YEAR OLD TRUCK. Will carry wife 2 kids. Want it for light duty on farm and to drive to office. What is better Ford, Chevy, Dodge? Looks aren't as important as reliability
    bham1,

You really need to give more info. Other than driving to work, and driving around farm, what else are you going to do. How long is your drive to office? Towing? Camper? Hauling? How bad are the roads on the ranch? How much money are you willing to pay?

These are vital. Almost universally speaking, Dodge and Ford have excellent diesels and better 3/4-tons & 1/2-tons for heavy use, GM has great V-8 engines (good power & mileage) for their 1/2-tons & 3/4-tons for light and moderate use. Dodge offers a mid-size truck (Dakota) that can accomplish a lot that the big-guys do in an easier-to-handle package. Toyota, Nissan and Ford (Mazda is same as Ford) have good compact trucks, although their backseats are probably too small for your use. You need to elaborate your needs.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    The all time best recommendation I've heard on this topic is to pick out your camper first then purchase a pickup that meets the requirements. There is a lot of difference in weight between brands and sizes. You may find that a 3/4 ton just won't do the job comfortably for a 12 foot slide in and you really should go with a 1 ton dually, but you don't need a 1 ton for an 8 foot pop-top.
  • jjholmgrjjholmgr Member Posts: 3
    Hello intrepid truck drivers.

My father is looking to get a used pickup truck (about a '93 or so). He primarily will use the vehicle for commuting in Southern California with heavy use on weekends for hauling landscaping and home improvement supplies. His expressed concerns are reliability/service costs and gas mileage.

He's leaning toward a full-size p.u. He's already nixed getting a Ford (please no hate mail!) based on past experience. Opinions on the T100 vs. a Chevy C/K based on his needs?

Thanks.
  • jjholmgrjjholmgr Member Posts: 3
    His commute during the week is about 50 miles round-trip freeway driving plus work-related drives to various So Cal vendors w/ his company...so comfort is important too.

Weekend cargo duties would mostly be various items like lumber, gravel, soil, and of course the dog. Light use on dirt roads would only be an occasional factor and 4WD is not required.

Price range is apx. $8-9K.
  • br459br459 Member Posts: 12
    Is there anyone out there that owns a 93 or older Mazda pickup? I have to say that these little trucks are about the most reliable trucks I have ever had. I have 256,000 on mine and several of my friends have well over 200K on theirs. Not a problem. Not much power, but I don't need it anyway. Why they stopped making the Japanese version of this truck I will never know. Probably because dealer mechanics had nothing to do at Mazda dealerships. :-}
    Get the Chevy C/K with the 350. Should be more comfortable, more powerful, better mileage (yes, the 350 can/should get better than 20 mpg; the T100 would be less than that and have WAY less power). The T100 is not that good of a truck from all I've heard. They really aren't a full-size pickup.
  • hoenenhoenen Member Posts: 1
    just to add the price range is in Canadian Dollars
  • clarkentclarkent Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a new pickup. Primary use will be to tow a popup trailer (GVW 3500 lbs) and perhaps later to tow a larger trailer about 5000-6000 lbs. I favour the 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, extended cab, short box, 2WD; engine - Vortec 4800 V8, Auto Trans., Trailer package, locking diff., 3,73 rear axle ratio.
    Other possibilities I'm considering are Ford F150 and Dodge Ram 1500.
    Can any of you tell me which of these vehicles you prefer and why you favour it? Also which of these would you avoid and why?

Thanks in advance.

Clark in Toronto
    Consider the Sierra with the 5.3L. You won't regret the added power (economy will be very comparable). GM has been having some innitial quality problems (rattles, shutters, etc.), particularly on the 1500s, but I think it is probably hit & miss (there are plenty of very happy customers, warranty will cover, and they have hopefully corrected problems for Y2K). Of the trucks you are considering, however, this is the most complete (best back seat, ride, power, economy). GM has the best gas powerplants.

I'm a Dodge owner and like the Rams (mainly the 3/4-tons w/diesel), but I think their 1500s are inferior to Ford & GM (aged design).

The Ford may have the best quality/dependability, but does not offer as good engine, backseat as the GM.
    Thanks for your advice. The 5.3L will cost me about another $1200 over the 4.8L - my budget is already stretched. According to specs. in the GM brochure, with the combination I indicated, I should be able to tow a trailer with 7800 GVW which is more than I should need (unless I'm being short-sighted. Can you expand on your reasons for suggesting the 5.3L? Thanks
    Power, better resale value, power, hardly any drop in economy, power, less stress on the engine for same use - better longevity and dependability (no data to support, just my opinion), and power. I'm sure the 4.8L is a good engine, too. Are you sure the 5.3 will cost that much more? It seems a little high to me. At any rate, the difference isn't that much in the whole scheme of things, but I know how your feeling. I'm struggling with a similar problem trying to decide if I can afford to get a new Cummins over a gas-powered engine.
    Actually the difference is about $1100 (CDN). Perhaps you're thinking in U.S. dollars - don't know where you live. In any event, I'll take you advice into consideration with everything else. Thanks for your help.
    Oh I think I may vomit.......

The 5.4L isn't a good engine????

Come on! Who are we fooling here? The 5.4 is every bit as good as the 5.3 if not better for a half-ton. Period. In fact, she pulls more and has better HP to boot! Oh my.......
    Hey there, is the 5.4 the Ford equiv? Seriously, I haven't been following Ford offerings. I just haven't heard anything very positive or negative about the current Trident lineup. Nothing particularly positive about power or mileage. Seems like you're the first one to really defend them. I'm sure they are adequate, like my Dodge 5.2L, I just haven't heard anyone say anything about them being as good as the GM gas engines (trust me, I'm not a GM fan, never had a GM truck). But I have gained a real appreciation for the power, economy, and dependability of the GM 350s and the new 5.3.
    The 5.3 is not the 350 therefore needs time to build rep. The 351 was a great motor (to any neophyte who thought that only the 350 was a keeper--difference? oil sump) and has as much relation to the 5.4 as the 5.3 does to the 350!
    The 5.4 dogs the 5.3 in HP and Torque but gets worse gas mileage.
    Although I have never had a brand allegiance, the closest I ever came was with Ford. My first car was a '77 Heavy half (F-150) which we went through 3 351s. So I'm not a fan of the 351. Probably just bad luck, but I don't care for them. I love the Ford 302. Had one in my '73 bronco and still have one in our inboard jet fishing boat. The 302 in my Bronco was a hot plant and the only thing that I wasn't continually tinkering with. Didn't want to mess with a good thing. That little small block pushes our 19' v-bottom to nearly 50 mph.
    Won't argue with the 302. However, I still own my original truck that got my buisness stared for nostalgia reasons. She is a 1978, F-250 with the 351 and it pulls still today.
    I understand your gripe. Hell, that could be me, I guess, about those damn 95 Chevys with the 305.
  • smorris4smorris4 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 99 silverado with an extended cab and shortbed. I have been reading about all the windshield noise, steering wheel clunks, real spring problems, driveshaft noise, rearend noise...etc. Am I crazy to even consider buying this truck?? What should I do ?
  • charliecicero1charliecicero1 Member Posts: 1
    every truck i have had holds oil pressure at idle except this suburban 350 i was just hoping someone had this same condition and solved it without all the headaches...charlie cicero....please respond
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    I don't think its as much a "truck w/ a 350" problem as it is a General Motors problem altogether. That's not to say GM products are bad, but every GM vehicle I've had hasn't held oil pressure at idle. V-6, V-8, old, or new. It hasn't made any difference at all. Nor did it cause any problems in my GM vehicles. The best car I've ever owned, BAR NONE!!, was a 1981 Olds Cutlass w/ a 3.8l v-6!!!! But the oil pressure would drop to nearly nothing at idle. I put 154,000 trouble-free miles on this car before I traded it. It didn't use any oil. Leaked a little, and had a little valvetrain noise, but the car NEVER,EVER stranded me! My parents '86 Buick was the same way. As was my sister's Olds. And my 1987 GMC Sierra Classic.

Sorry to get off the topic like that! I think that any of the new truck offerings from the Big Three would make a good truck. Just drive all of them & see which one suits you the best!!

keith24
  • jonathanrjonathanr Member Posts: 4
    I am getting ready to retire and want to chase blues and drum along the atlantic coast. I want to get a 3/4 extended cab 4x4,automatic and a small slide in camper. This will also be a daily driver. I am confused as to get a gas or diesel. Since I want to travel some is the extra expense for a diesel worth it? Is there an advantage to a diesel over a gas for what I want? I have enjoyed comments in this column and decided to ask your opinions
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    There are other topics on this same subject and advantages and disadvantages to both. Given what you said here are some things to consider. If while you are fishing do you have a requirement to operate appliances/electrical in the camper. You can leave a diesel at idle much better than a gas engine. Is your driving range a consideration (i.e. would you rather have 600 miles on fillup or 300 miles)? Is diesel fuel or diesel service available where you want to go? Is the engine noise/smell a problem for you or spouse? How long do you intend to keep the truck (75k, 100k, 300k)? I would tend to say that price is probably your last consideration and that how you use the truck is more important to the question of gas v. diesel. Good Luck.
  • kmkmakkmkmak Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have experience with either the Dodge ram 2500 5.9 or the Ford f250 towing approx. 7000lbs. TYIA.
  • kspringerkspringer Member Posts: 1
    I need help finding the right kind of truck. I previously owned a '87 Ford F-150 with a 302. It recently died with 170,000 miles. Occasionally I tow a utility trailer (approx. 5000# filled). The Ford had problems with this. I don't know if this was due to age and wear, or what. It ran hot on the highway and had trouble with wind resistance. Now I'm unsure if I need a 3/4 ton, desiel, or just a bigger motor on a 1/2 ton. I occasionally haul 1/2 ton or more weight also. This new truck will be used for daily short trips, and cross country trips with the trailer. I am looking at used trucks, and the cost of repairs on the desiels scare me some. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • dberrydberry Member Posts: 22
    There are some important pieces of information missing.

A manual transmission, on a 302 Ford 1/2 ton or other make of 1/2 ton with a similar size engine, would have tow load a range of 2,000 to 3,100 lbs. An Automatic with the same engine would have a tow load range of 5,300 lbs to 7,200 lbs.

I can guess you probably didn't have air conditioning. If so you would have a higher capacity radiator and probably not likely to run so hot. When running hot performance decreases. Even so 170,000 is not bad considering the high temperature.

Short trips - get the gas, the diesel would just start getting warmed up. If the 302 seemed a little lacking go the next size up.

Good luck !
  • jonathanrjonathanr Member Posts: 4
    How do youlike the ford diesel? I asked above about using an automatic. People have seemed dissapointed with the dodge auto but I have not heard any comments on the ford. I want 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab. I am an old gm fan but they don'tmake this truck, I want extra doors on the cab. What is your take on the ford automatic and what rear end would work best.
This discussion has been closed.