Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to Pick a Pickup

12346»

Comments

• tom167tom167 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking to move up to a Sundowner gooseneck horse trailer that accommodates sleeping. The sales person indicated the trailer weight around 8800lbs. Our two horses add another 2200lbs bring the weight to around 11000lbs. What size truck will I need and with what options to safely tow the trailer. I would like to add we are only recreational campers/trail-riders meaning we would likely be towing the trailer around 12 times during the year, mostly less than 100 miles at a time. This truck will be my wife's vehicle so it will need to be something she can handle. She currently has a Grand Cherokee and pulls a two horse bumper pull. She loves the idea of driving a truck so that is not viewed as a negative. My research so far has been limited to the Ford F250/F350 trucks. I'm not interested in a diesel so we can eliminate all the debate around gas verse diesel. Both have very strong points and I respect both views. I guess the bottom line is I'm looking for the most comfortable truck with the best amenities that can get the job done. Any advise is welcome.
  • ramkingramking Member Posts: 4
    WHATS YOUR FAVORITE TRUCK?
    MINE IS THE DODGE RAM
  • paynerpayner Member Posts: 31
    I ordered a Chevy 1500 4X4 Ext Cab with the 4th door I have until Fri. to change my order and I am trying to decide if it is worth getting the 5.3L motor or should I stay with the 4.8L?
    I have heard that the 5.3 is getting better mileage, has anyone found that to be true?
    Oh and how are the factory tonneau covers?
  • afs93afs93 Member Posts: 30
    I think that you won't regret selecting the 5.3 engine. I ordered the 5.3 after driving a pickup with the 5.3 engine. This engine will get more mpg's & move your truck like a sports car!

You won't regret this engine. I have a extented cab on order. It's about 500+ lbs heavier then the regular cab. That's something to think about!!!
  • zemanzeman Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to buy an F350 Supercab 142" and want to know if the 142" (6 1/2 bed)will cause a problem pulling a 5th wheel trailer or should I get the 158" (8 ft bed)?
  • mudmachinemudmachine Member Posts: 1
    HI I AM LOOKING INTO TO BUYING A 1990 CHEVY SCOTTSDALE S/B SINGLE CAB 4x4 IT HAS A BRAND NEW 350 5.7L A NEW 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION A NEW BACK DIFFERENTIAL SHIFT ON THE FLY AND A BED LINER AND A TOOL BOX AND NICE INTERIOR THE GUY WANTS 7,000$ DO YA'LL THINK IT IS A GOOD DEAL?? PLEASE RESPOND
  • abdo1abdo1 Member Posts: 3
    Wow! I just picked up my 4 door Sierra 2WD Extended cab pick up truck. These 4 doors are awesome! The 5.3 Vortec engine seems to have a smooth shift between gears and great pick up! The dealership that I bought it from kept telling me that it would be worth the wait for the four doors..... They were right!!
  • drgnman26drgnman26 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to purchase a 1999 chevy S10 Ext. cab V6 or a 1999 Gmc sonoma Ext. cab V6 I was wondering which one is better I cant get the third door because I got a family of four so I was wondering which one would be better I plan to travel to Canada maybe 3 or 4 times and I was wondering which one would be better if someone could please help thanks!!!
  • wgan64wgan64 Member Posts: 1
    I haven't had a pick up for about 5 years. I used to drive a 1985 Toyota SR5 that I bought from my mother after my dad died. I have come to the decision that I want to buy a new, full sized pick up with an extended cab (have 3 kids already)with 4 doors and 4wd. I had decided on a Ford F150 but then spotted a Chevy Silverado and saw that the rear seat area was much bigger than the F150. I want the most room that I can get. However, I took one look at the invoice price of the 3dr 2000 Chevy at $29,019 and compared it to the 4dr F150 at $22,403. Is the Chevy worth it? Any help, comments, suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • nibot1nibot1 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning on fulltime 5th wheeling in 2001, so I am in the market for the right truck to pull the load and still have a nice cab area, seeing as how we will be in the cab for extended periods. I know I am buying a diesel, either 2500 or 3500 ram, or f250 or f350 whichever is the best all around. My 5th wheel is 34 ft. long and has a dry weight of 13,300 lbs. Any help would be appreciated.
  • kcampbekcampbe Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to by a lightly used ('98 or '99) pickup. This will be used for commuting and also for pulling a boat.

I'm interested in a 3 or 4 door truck so my kids have a place to sit.

I'm leaning towards the F150 or the Dodge 1500 QuadCab with 4WD.

Any thoughts/pros/cons that you can help me with will be appreciated.
  • crazywomancrazywoman Member Posts: 14
    Nibotl - I would check out a post by Brutus at the "Ford vs Dodge" topic site, he has given some excellent information from his own experience on what you might need for hauling. Also one by bmckenzie just prior to that. Sounds like you might need the 350 or 3500. Good luck.
  • neltelneltel Member Posts: 1
    I have been shoping for a 00 Silverado 2500 or 3500 extra cab maybe, most important is that I want it with a CTEC work body on it. I've been to a few dealers however how do you decide what is a good price since there is no listing for commercial trucks price comparisons. Any suggestions?
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.