Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Owners

Comments

• trotter1trotter1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a Ram2500 4x4 with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. This will be my primary vehicle, to be used occasionally for a 32-mile commute to work and for pulling a 3-horse trailer. Any input you can give me regarding mileage, reliability, and cost of operation is appreciated. Thanks from Trotter1
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    1999 changes are listed in subject #230

You can also check out www.stephenames.com/new99.html
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    trotter1, Click on "see all responses" at the top of this, and some of the other topics and you will get tons of info to answer all your questions.
  • panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know if having an aftermarket towing hitch installed on a '98 will cause Dodge to resist paying for any warranty work that needs to be done? The manual says that they will not cover work that needs to be done as a result of modifications to the vehicle that cause problems. I did not have the tow package installed at the factory because I didn't want the HD service group or to pay for it. I can get a good class III hitch for half of what Chrysler wants for one. As long as the hitch is professionally installed, does it matter. All that I will be towing will be an aluminum john boat sometimes and maybe very rarely a larger ski boat a mile or two. Any info is appreciated.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    I say never go with upgraded sound systems from the factory! They are too expensive for what you get. The only exception I think is the Dodge mid-level upgrade. That adds two tweeter speakers on the A pillar that can be used with aftermarket systems.
    But what you want is a Crutchfield catalog. They have excellent prices on everything audio for your vehicle. Their home prices are not that good, but their auto prices are great. Free installation instructions and free phone help. FANTASTIC! They have more CD players than you can shake a stick at and you are more than likely to find something you'll love. Of course you'll also find something that's just out of your price range - which can really be a bummer! :)
    Cheers and good luck,
    Ryan
  • reddfinreddfin Member Posts: 5
    Looking into a Quad cab and have a couple of questions. First off, 1500 or2500?
    Should I get the short or long bed? Which V8 or is the V10 the way to go. Will be used as primary vehicle. Family of four (2 adults, 1 infant, 1 toddler) Don't need it for work but we do some camping, fishing, bicycling, hunting and other outdoor and marine activities. What is the biggest size boat a 4x4 V8 can pull? I am thinking of a 21ft center console.
    First, I would establish how much you want to spend. I was gungho for a Dodge until the pricing of the new '99 Ford SuperDuty's came out. Now the Ford is (some would argue) more truck for the money. I'm still sittin' on the fence.
    But based on that limited amount of information, and without a money amount you plan to spend, I would *suggest* that a 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT 5.9L will do you and your family good (if you stick with Dodge).
    If money isn't a huge issue, then definitely get a 2500 v10 Quad 4x4. The extra power and capacity will be there when you need it. The extra fuel bill will be a little larger.
    I myself am torn between a 2500 v10 and an F-250 v10... decisions decisions... :)

Ryan
    For a 21 footer, you probably are safer with the extra strength of the 2500. The 1500 tops out around 7000 pounds of towing, but will do so with a struggle. With the 2500, you will probably look at either the V10 or the Cummins, not the V8. The back seat will be perfect for the little ones - my godchildren have no problem back there, and 2 of them are still in car seats too.

The old rule of thumb definitely applies to you. Check out the truck that will meet your needs as you see them, then go one size bigger. Once you have the truck, you will find more things to use it for, so the stronger one will stand up better.
    panman, Only if the hitch was the cause of the problem. (cracked frame, etc)
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    i've heard if you do modifications to the frame of a truck, such as weld nerf bars, or a fifth wheel, it will automatically void all warranty. somebody else back me up on that one, not sure myself.
    thanks for all the great responses. How about long or short bed? how good is resale value on these trucks?
  • panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    I guess my main concern is if I have the hitch installed but I don't have Dodge's "required" HD service group and I have transmission problems, will Dodge say "your transmission is not covered under warranty because you had this hitch installed", even if I never tow anything with it. Kind of a long sentence but there's my concern.
    Reddfin,

Unless you plan on hauling long things often, the shortbed will proibably be ok. My 3500 Club 4x4 is 2 years old, and is currently worth 2/3 of its original selling price. Not bad with almost 36,000 miles on it, either.
    anyone put bigger wheels on their Dodge? Would larger wheels and tires void any warranties? IF anyone knows what is the biggest wheel you can put on your truck without lifting or modifying it?
    Reddfin
  • slakieslakie Member Posts: 6
    Slumlord - I have some input for you both on the CD player and the cap. I have had my new 2500 4x4 for about 5 weeks now but while I was waiting for it to come in I had 12 weeks to conduct research into the CD player and cap. I thought that the CD player was expensive so I went to Crutchfield and spoke with one of their technicians and found out there was no available CD player which could be controlled through the upgraded radio. Based on this I bit the bullet and ordered the Mopar CD, which is an alpine by the way, I have had it for 3 weeks and it is great, never skips even over bumpy roads. You can save yourself about $50 - $60 by ordering through www.discountmoparparts.com - you also need the installation kit I believe I paid $405. I also did alot of researc on caps plus my personal experience of previous ownership. My conclusion was that Snug top was the best I ordered a Hi-Riser and I am completely happy with the fit and finish. We have had several people on the RAM mailing list who have expressed similar feelings.

Ron Slakie
    Springfield, VA
  • slakieslakie Member Posts: 6
    I have a new Ram 2500 4x4 with a 360 engine, which now has about 2,000 miles, I would like to switch over to synthetic engine oil but I am getting conflicting advice on when to switch. The range varies from 3,000 to 10,000 miles on what I have been told for switchover. Can anyone out there shed some light on this.

Ron Slakie
    Springfield, VA
  • dkgdkg Member Posts: 11
    I just got my 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 with the Cummins Diesel. I started looking about 18 months ago at 1500s in all brands. We have a 22 foot boat that we pull, so towing was a big concern. The information I received from the people on this town hall and from friends and family pointed me to the 2500 series. From there it was not too long before I was thinking 454, V-10 or Diesel. I chose the diesel for towing, mileage and resale. Towing is absolutely great, like nothing was there. Combined mileage is better on the brand new engine for city, highway and towing than the advertised highway mileage for any of the V-10s (and the engine still brand new). As for resale, that is a long ways down the road but diesels hold up well in that market - as long as the diesel is Cummins or Navstar. The ride is great, even the other half is impressed.

I ordered the short bed. I am 6'3" and have just enough room and still have a very good turning radius. For most of the hauling I would do, the short bed will work fine, with the tail gate down the bed length is over 8'.

By the way, where you live and do your boating might also be a concern. We live in Colorado and it always seems we need to tow over the Rockies to get where we are going.

Good Luck,

DKG
  • toiyabetoiyabe Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1994 Ram. The first time I put a load of firewood in it the side rails blew out, Dodge paid to repair it. The next year the side rails blew out and cracks appeared in the side rails. Dodge and Chrysler Customer Care will not help again. It may be time to buy a Ford. Also I go through front brake pads each 6 months
  • jetnjetn Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at a 1500 4x4 quadcab v8 but I'm still very unsure of the reliability and resale factor compared to chevy or ford can anyone share with me their view and how they like their dodge??
  • AlMangoAlMango Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Ram and replaced brake pads after about 20,000 miles. I don't consider myself a heavy breaker...and after another 15,000 miles (6 months of driving) my brakes are completely shot! Anyone else having this problem and is Chrysler taking responsibility?

Thanks,

Alex
  • jakec1jakec1 Member Posts: 10
    We're looking to buy a used 96 Ram with a SLT package, extended cab, V-10, 4WD, fully loaded. Has any one out there heard anything good or bad about the V-10 engine? Thanks for any comments.

Elena
  • JustinRG98JustinRG98 Member Posts: 4
    i've got a '97 ram v-8 1500 4 X 4 reg. cab. it's got 38,000 miles on it, reliabilty is pretty good, and the 360 motor is strong. as far as resale value goes, the local dodge dealer is willing to give me $17,500 for it. considering i picked it up with 24,000 miles for $18,900 i'd say that's not bad. i'd recommend the quad cab and the v-10 engine if you're willing to go for a 2500.
  • ing1ing1 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a Ram Quad-cab 1500 4x4 with the 5.2 engine and auto tran. Question? has anyone had problems with the transmission constantly "seeking" a gear or lockup of the torque converter. It appears as though the vehicle has either a electrical miss or injector miss under even the slightest load. Just a slight hesitation or shift. Anyhow it's driving me nuts, even happens when I am towing a light utility trailer. Any similar experiences or problems?
    Yes, someone has had these problems. You should serach the entire topic here for answers. It seems this is a common problem.

HTH,
    Ryan
  • 606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    mharde2,

Towed my 5th wheel a short distance (less than 10 miles) this past weekend for the first time. The front of the camper sits higher but presented no problem with clearance. Only back road travel, but pulled great. Anxious to pull it on a major highway to see how it compares to the '90. I had a little more suspension bounce than the '90, I think it was from the tires in that I didn't have them inflated for the load. Since they replaced my fuel tank last week I'll have to start my fuel milage calculations over. Still have the melting mud flap problem with no solutions from the dealer. Checked the oil level last week thinking I'd probably have burned some because of break-in.
    Still reading at the full mark, and remarkably clean. How's yours running?

Ron
    Ron, Mine is running great. I just filled it up about 30 min. ago. 1/2 city, 1/2 hwy, 18.3 mpg.
    Thats realy weird about the mud flap...Mine makes a noise that sounds like air escaping form the engine(valve)sometimes when I shut the engine off. Does yous ever do that?
    I have over 9000 mi. on mine and it hasn't used a drop of oil yet. So far I love it...Mike
  • robertr1robertr1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a Ram 1500 with the 318 engine with 5-speed stick tranny.
    Any one have any comments about it?
    I pull a boat which weighs abour 1500 lbs. I have a 92 Chevy 1/2 ton with 350 and auto, and it pulls fine.
    Any one have any suggestions about a comparison betwee the two? as far as power and fuel efficiency are concerned?
  • rlclarkrlclark Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 2500 V-10 Club Cab the other day. Kind of feels like I'm floating down the street on a giant green cloud! Never expected such cushy suspension from a truck. Performance is great, gas mileage isn't as bad as I thought, and so far, no problems. I highly recommend the side-steps---they really make a difference. The spaciousness of the cab reminds me of my dad's old Fifth Avenue. Now that's saying something!
  • larry2larry2 Member Posts: 1
    Question... I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500. The ABS light comes when sitting at idle say like at a fast food drive through.

It has been to 3 different dealers that say they can not find a cause in the computer. Last dealer even suggested that it was due to the radio wires being to close to the ABS sensor????

No idea what to do. I really like the truck otherwise. Any body out there that can help or sugggest an action for me to solve this.
  • 33huntr33huntr Member Posts: 8
    Well, after many hours of research and Q&A sessions, I finally made the decision and ordered my new Dodge truck.

1999 Quad Cab 4x4 Diesel 5 spd. 3.54 gears, SLT Laramie, 4-wheel anti locks, sure grip axle, tow pkg. HD transfer case, Aux rear susp. White w/mist grey int.

Thanks to all you "motor heads" in here, I feel, with your help, I made the right decision on the truck.

The dealer said the usual,"12-14 weeks", but Iam not counting on that. We shall see.

TO ALL, Thanks again
  • daves2daves2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 ram 1500 slt Ext Cab SB I have received 5 recalls for this vehicle. while i have never had a mechanical breakdown I have to wonder how well this vehicle was made. Any comments? Does anyone else have this same truck? What have your experiences been?
  • psu2002psu2002 Member Posts: 1
    My dad has a 97'1500 ext cab blue dodge sport,
    and he wants to get new rims on the truck,but I just wanted to get bigger tires on it, because I think that the factory rims are fine. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also, anybody know any good places to get a dual exhaust done?

Sean, LEVITTOWN,PA
  • harlanrharlanr Member Posts: 2
    Would like to hear some input from Dodge 2500
    owner's regarding Manual and Automatic trans,.
    Plan to order a New One but am having trouble
    deciding on Transmission. Would appreciate
    some input. Am thinking abouit exhaust brake also. Pull a 30-ft 5th wheel. Do they work good with Automatic Thanks Harlan
  • specalkspecalk Member Posts: 4
    I have a 96' Dodge Dakota now and want a new Ram when the lease is up in Feb. My concern is that the Dakota had the transmission replaced at 4000 miles, and had almost every motorized oart on it repaired or replaced--I am very concerned about buying another
    Dodge. Has anyone had problems or can you help me decide. I have been leaning toward Ford--I know dirty word but I paid a lot of money for the truck and want to have one that will continue to run and I acan feel safe in.

Thanks
  • sweetpea3sweetpea3 Member Posts: 2
    Ohhhhhhh we bought a Dodge 98 quad cab 1500 4x4 with the auto 318. We bought it in May of 98 , today August the 4th is the 6th trip for it to the shop. The parts are not all in therefore it will be going back when they arrive.
    Did I mention that 6 days from the show room floor it spun a rod and threw a bearing and we had to "FIGHT" with "Crysler" (my new spelling) to get a crate motor instead of a rebuilt motor. Did I mention the fact that we have owned the vehicle less than 90 days it has been towed twice and in the shop for 30 days of that? All but 5 of the days were consecutive.
    I will still say that is the most "prettiest" truck, ~grin~ even when getting towed. The performance has been a constant bother and harder to care and maintain than a new born infant. The "Crysler" customer care one.... is so useless !!!!
  • specalkspecalk Member Posts: 4
    This is all so sad. Because we all bought those big bold beautiful trucks, that turned into crap. I was looking at a Ram when I bought the Dakota, and fought with my husband about what I had to buy, and ended up with my lemon. Our joke was that all lemons are green before they turned yellow, and mine is the prettiest lemon yellow-emerald green you have ever seen. This was my dream truck because it has all of the bells and whistles.
    I want another but am so afraid because the story from sweet pea3 is like being there all over again, I have fought with the dealership and crysler for so long, I just hope that Feb gets here quick. But I am going to look at the Fords before winter.

I did drive the 5 speed Dakota and had a hard time with the ratio kept missing third, gears very tight. But it was only a six and I had a hard time getting use to not having the power after driving a eight cyl.

Good luck to all , I will keep checking and let you know what happens.
  • saintjohnsaintjohn Member Posts: 10
    I here ya specalk. We purchased a 1996 Ram 1500
    club cab shortbox 4x4 two years ago.We have had much the same experience. It's powered by a 360
    V-8. The engine is terribly underpowered for its size. Gas mileage is acceptable though. We get about 17.5 miles to the imperial gallon. We live up here in Canada where the weather can get really nasty and another problem we have encountered is that at temperatures colder than -22 degrees C. the overdrive is locked out. If you have no overdrive you can imagine how fast the fuel guage drops!!! The dealership where we bought the truck told us to cover up the front end which we did. Still no overdrive. ITS ALMOST AS IF DODGE NEVER TEST DROVE THESE TRUCKS IN COLD WEATHER!! But you know what? I'd buy another one in a minute. This is the prettiest truck in the history of the automobile. Actually we just ordered a 1999 Ram 2500 Qaud cab shortbox 4x4 with the Cummins deisel. Deep Amethyst pearl coat. Can't wait to start dolling her up. This one will be a masterpeice when I'm done with it. I know what you're thinkin. WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!! and the sad fact of the matter is that you're absolutely right, but I got the Dodge disease and am powerless to stop myself and specalk don't buy a Ford please. they are the UGLYEST (SP) TRUCKS THAT I HAVE EVER LAID EYES ON!!
  • shawn5shawn5 Member Posts: 5
    AND ONE MORE THING TO ADD TO THE ONGOING CONVERSATION. HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT THE DODGE RAM IS NOW THE BENCHMARK THAT OTHER FULL SIZE TRUCKS ARE MEASURED AGAINST. NOT TO MENTION THE COPYING OF THE BODY STYLE I OWN A FORD RANGER AND A FORD THUNDERBIRD SO YOU CAN TELL WHERE MY LOYALTY HAS BEEN!!! BUT WITH THE ARRIVAL OF THE CUMMINS IN A QUAD CAB SETUP THE AVERAGE AND EVEN NOT SO AVERAGE FAMILY MAN/FOUR WHEEL ENTHUSIAST CAN HAVE HIS CAKE AND EAT IT TO! HERE'S TO THE DODGE AND MAY THE COMPETITION SPEND MANY A RESTLESS NIGHT TRYING TO CATCH UP AND ONE UP THE RAM SERIES.
  • Supercel34Supercel34 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has a Ram quad cab and a family of four, including a baby. How does it do with child restraint seats in the back seat? Will people be comfortable riding back there on long trips? This is my first x-tra cab so I'm not familiar with them that well. I don't pick the truck up till Saturday so now is the time to find out any faults!
    I agree Shawn5 that the Dodge Rams are "THE TRUCKS". What I found most peculiar is the Edmonds "Most popular list" The Ram pickups rank only 13th in the popularity contest. I'm wondering if their gutless useless powertrains with the gas engines have caught up with them???
    Supercel34 that is one of the nicest features about these Ram club cabs/quad cabs is the interior room. They advertise it as the most interior room of any pickup truck in the world and they aren't lyin!!! Our club cab while having incredible amounts of room is not the greatest to get in and out of in the back but I'm sure that the Quad cab will solve that problem completely
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    With the exception of the Cummins and possibly the exterior design, I think people would certainly argue that the Ford F-Series is still the measuring stick for the pickup market.

As for roominess, I believe the Superduty cab is the largest in it's class.

I'm assuming that you are figuring you got a lemon tranny since you've decided to buy another Dodge. Certainly you wouldn't buy another truck if you knew that you would still not be able to use overdrive in cold weather. Although I've heard of numerous Dodge tranny problems, the cold weather one is new. Hopefully, it was a fluke. Dodge quality is improving every year.

That reminds of a bumper sticker that became very popular in Alaska. Each March, they have an 1,100 mile sled dog race from Anchorage to Nome called the Iditarod. In the 1980s, a lady named Susan Butcher started dominating the race. Prior to her, almost all of the races had been won by male mushers. With four victories under her belt, she was on her way to a record fifth win. At that time, she was tied with musher Rick Swenson, who also had four wins. With only a 100 or so miles to go, she clearly had the fastest team. However, a big storm blew in and she decided to wait it out. After several hours, other mushers started showing up at the checkpoint she had been resting at, waiting out the storm. The other mushers also decided to wait out the storm, that is, all the mushers but Rick Swenson and one other guy. They took off into the whiteout conditions, where they might lose the trail, end up having to make camp somewhere in the storm, and finish well behind the mushers waiting out the storm. As luck (and years of experience racing the Iditarod) would have it, they didn't get lost, and Rick Swenson won the race. The bumper sticker that appeared after that race said, "Alaska: Where men are men and women win the Iditarod when the weather is good." If that cold weather Dodge tranny story turns out not to be a fluke, it might not be too long until you see Ford trucks with similar bumper stickers, maybe along the lines of: "Alaska: where Fords are real trucks and Dodges run when the weather is good."

I say this all in good humor. The Dodges are good trucks. Their recurring tranny problems are puzzling though.
    No Brutus the overdrive problems in cold weather was no fluke. My personal truck a 96, my company truck a 97 and virtually every Ram pickup that Renaissance Energy leased had the same problem. I know it sounds insane but its true. The Dodge dealer told me that there are two overdrive lockouts on these pickups. One that actually senses tranny fluid temperature and another that senses the ambient temperature in the engine compartment. Either one will lock out the overdrive to prevent damage to the transmission. Like I said even with the Lund solid grill and bumper inserts no overdrive at temps colder that -22 degrees C. From my vantage point one thing that contributes greatly to the problem is the size of the tranny cooler that they have hung in front of the rad. I'm sure you've probably noticed if you've ever had the hood up on a Ram pickup. The thing is HUGE. While this may be great for summer towing she don't seem to work worth a *&^% in the winter. It just seems crazy to me that this flaw would not have been picked up in testing!! We are hoping with the new pickup being powered by the Cummin powerplant that

A. the fact that the Deisel probably runs quite a bit hotter that the gas V-8 may help. and

B. It may be a totally different transmission and cooler design

If we had not ordered the Deisel package we would not be selling the Dodge pickup we currently have, tranny problems and all. NUTS EH?? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Dodge has got me right where it wants me I'm afraid to say. You sound like you own a Ford F-150 Brutus. If you and all the Chevy guys wanted to argue about the virtues of your respective gas engine power trains I'm afraid I'd have to sit here and take it because you'd all be absolutely right. I've never driven a Ford but have driven the Chev 350's all my life and they in my opinion are fantastic. BBBBBUUUUTTTTT
    if this Cummins drive train is as good as everybody's been saying then I think I'll HAVE IT ALL.

THE TRACTOR
    Saintjohn,

I don't own a F-150. A few weeks ago I sold my truck. It was a 1992 F-250 5.8L 4x4 Lariat regular cab that I bought new in Alaska. It had 86,000 miles on it and I had no complaints. I have a new truck on order. It's a 99 F-350 Superduty Supercab 4x4 Lariat V-10 dually with all the bells and whistles. I put a downpayment on a big truck camper, which is why I needed the duallys. I'd exceed the GVWR with a single rear wheel truck with the camper on. I'm headed back to Anchorage early next year. What part of Canada do you live in?
  • johnboy1johnboy1 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone else been thoroughly dissatisfied with the life of the rotors and drums on the 2500? I bought a 95 SLT LB, with auto and V10, to, believe it or not, run up and down the highway. No towing, no big loads, no stop and go. The front rotors warped at 14K, replaced by dealer. They warped again at 25K, one had a sticking caliper, and, along with rear drums, were replaced, all four wheels. I took it in at 42k, as the familiar brake pulsing had started at about 38K, and tried to argue that this is not acceptable component life, and that Dodge should fix it. I also have the extended warranty from Dodge, which does not cover brakes either, and the dealer balked at fixing it this time. Service mgr said "you've had the truck for 42K miles. When do you think you should have to start paying for brake work?" I replied, "when the brakes last more than 12K miles in hi way driving" What if I was towing a trailer? Anyway, called the main Chrysler 1 800 number, talked to an arrogant man who kept interrupting me, and learned that they, too, would not back up their brake system. I've never even gotten 1/4 wear from a set of pads. I'm ready to chuck the truck and buy a Ford. Anyone else had this problem?????
    Brutus

Congrats on ordering the new Ford! I'm sure you'll be delighted with it. What size is the Ford V-10??
    Are you headed back to Alaska permanently?
    The town I call home is Brooks, Alberta. Population about 10,000. Mostly oil and gas, meat packing and agriculture around here.
    The V-10 is a 6.8L. It's rated at 275hp and 410 lb-ft of torque. The Dodge V-10 is a 8.0L rated at 300hp and 440 lb-ft of torque. The two engines are quite different. The Ford appears to be more efficient, smoother and gets better mpg. A recent test showed that when empty, the engines were equal. Towing a 4,000 lb boat, the Ford easily outperformed the Dodge in acceleration. However, I've also seen tests that show that the Dodge is better able to maintain highway speeds of 75mph with a load. I suspect that the heavier the load, the more important the larger displacement of the Dodge matters. On the other hand, the best mpg will be achieved around 55-60mph. The trade-off of going 75mph with a load might not be beneficial. Both engines appear to have their advantages.

I will be moving back to Anchorage permanently. I've spent about 18 years up there total. My job transferred me out of Anchorage in March of 1993. I recently turned down a career job with my company in North Dakota. I also told them that I would not extend my contract for another full year. My contract is up at the end of the year. I told them I would consider a 3-6 month extension, but I suspect it will be a full year or none at all. Chances are that I will be headed back in January.
  • mcdcmcdc Member Posts: 6
    I have never owned a Chrysler, never will, but I know many people that have because they "look good". here are some reasons not to buy ANY Chrysler. My girlfriend had a 1990 Dodge Shadow at 90K it had a blown head gasket, at 100K it had a blown head gasket and ran horrible. She traded it for a 90 Probe, runs great 100K and still no problems. Her Father has a '92 Shadow, Blown head Gasket, worn bearings less than 100K. 3 of her clients had minivans all were nothing but trouble. Needles to say they all either have a Ford or Honda. A co-worker of mine had an Avenger, he had it 3 months and it was in the shop more than he could drive it. He traded it for a '98 Dodge Ram 1500. He has had it in 2 times for an oil leak, had the transmision replaced (starting to go again) and has had all the brakes, and parts replaced. And the final reason I do not recommend a Chrysler, my best friends Dad works at a Chrysler engine plant. He said he was switching jobs to welding engines blocks. He was asked what needs welded he told us the blocks are all cracked when they come out of the mold and they need to be welded back together. He thought this was normal. He also told this to a Ford mechanic who said it is not normal for Ford, GM, Honda, Etc.
  • johnboy1johnboy1 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I had swore I would never buy another American-made motor vehicle. But if you want a big truck, there's no other game in town. I am now strongly looking at the new Toyota V8, which is due next Spring. Except for this Ram, I've owned nothing but foreign since 1981, and NEVER had any problems like this. What is it, do American buyers just think it's normal to have to put their cars/trucks in the shop every few months? My mom got a lemon LTD, which she finally unloaded. I've owned Toyota, BMW, Isuzu, Mazda, and Volvo, which all were fantastically reliable.
    In addition to the brakes, and a half dozen recalls, this Ram has had two fuel pumps, under warranty, put in under 30K. There was a bad valve which let gas go back into the tank, which caused hard starting. The mechanic told me that Dodge knew about the problem when they pulled the tank to fix it the first time, but "that was the only part available to put in" They later changed manufacturers and the thing has held, so far. But with this kind of quality control on the surface, how much is lurking beneath, waiting for warranties to expire?

I wonder if Ford trucks are this bad, too? Time to check out their forum. But Toyota is looking awfully good, right now.

Johnboy.
  • sweetpea3sweetpea3 Member Posts: 2
    Hello this is me again, with the Bell and Whistle dream Dodge Quad we had so long wanted. Guess what, since Aug the 4th is has been in the shop 2 more times. Called today to get it in the shop, NO A/C .... except when going down hill. etc.... I was told that if we were going to try to lemon law or seek legal advise, they did not want to fix it unless it was a MAJOR PROBLEM.
    Infact when I reached "CRYsler corp. on the phone the nice man asked to speak to my husband. As far as I can see our dodge is BEAUTIFUL, on the tow truck, on the roll back and in the garage.
    If in fact this is unusual with this truck I would except better service, and at this point a replacement vehicle !!! The almost 4,000 miles have been NOTHING BUT A HASSLE !!!!!
    If anyone who reads this has any ideas for the "NICE MAN" at "CRYsler", or whom I should speak with.. I am all ears.
  • lvollerlvoller Member Posts: 1
    Oh Gee! After reading the latest comments about the Ram truck I'm starting to wonder about what I may be in store for when my new 1999 arrives. I have heard nothing but good comments about this truck from people who own them.
This discussion has been closed.