Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Owners

Comments

• gregsintxgregsintx Member Posts: 7
    In light of all the negative comments in here lately, I'd like to give some on the positive side. I picked up my special ordered Ram Quad cab 1500 4x4 in May, and it has not been in the shop for anything. I have about 4,000 miles on it now, and although I haven't towed anything, I've had a number of heavy loads in the bed.
    The truck is great! No problems with the transmission, or brakes, or anything else at this point. I know, only 4000 miles, but the impression I get by reading some of these posts is that the trucks fall apart after leaving the lot. If I *had* to come up with something negative to say, it would be the 14mpg I get, and that the front end alignment seems a little off.
    I don't regret my decision to get a Dodge at all.
  • barbellbarbell Member Posts: 15
    Not to be picky or anything, but the word is spelled DIESEL. Many years of looking for truckstop fuel prices, I have seen the word in print long enough to know how it is spelled. That is not intended as a putdown, as many people just never have reason to look at that word. Chrysler has had brake problems for years. I can remember many times pulling off the highway to look for a hose to cool down a front wheel that had a dragging brake shoe or pad because the factory plastic pistons had swelled and would not release completely. Once the piston was replaced with aftermarket steel, no problems. As for engines, I owned a Chevy 350 4 barrel in a 3/4 ton 4x4 and a Dodge 360 2 barrel in a 1/2 ton 2x4 w/anti-spin diff at the same time. The Chevy would go more places pulling more simply because it put power to the ground through three wheels. The Dodge had more engine power such as pulling six and seven ton fertilizer carts and 300 bushel grain wagons on the highway. The Chevy worked better in off-road conditions simply because it was four wheel drive. I have pulled dead tractors to start them with the disc in the ground with the Chevy. My choice between the two engines would be very simple, however: Nothing but Dodge.
  • barbellbarbell Member Posts: 15
    I should mention that, aside from the brake problems mentioned, I never had any problem with premature wear on brakes even though the trailers I pulled had no brakes and weighed up to 20,000# or more. I just did a lot of planning ahead. By the way, the Statute of Limitations has already run on my trangressions. I know I was overloaded and underpowered but don't tell the Dodge that.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    i have a 98 2500 Ouad Cab Turbo Diesel 3.55 auto. I have almost 10,000 miles on it 6,000 of that towing a 5th wheel. I get 13-14 towing 65-70 15-16 in town and 20-21 hwy 70mph. The more I drive it the better it runs. No problems so far. GREAT TRUCK!
  • sunny24sunny24 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Quad Cab 4x4 24v Turbo Diesel 5spd & it has spent 26 days in the shop since March 25th. The most recent was on the way to Ca. A fuel line broke outside of Las Vegas & had to leave it there for repairs & drive a rental to L.A. It was a bad way to start a vacation, but in all fairness to Chrysler, I have to say they have stood behind their product.After the truck was repaired, they put it on a flatbed & delivered it to our hotel in L.A. All of the problems started with a bad fuel transfer pump,which the dealer couldn't diagnose, & after 16 days had to call in a zone tech from Chrysler. The bad fuel line was caused from the dealer when they installed the fuel transfer pump back in April.Chrysler has done alot of extra things for us throughout this whole ordeal.It has 8000 miles on it now & is running great. I drive it to work everyday, all highway,averaging 20mpg.
    I would also suggest to sweetpea if you aren't having any luck on the Chrysler 800#, ask the rep to forward your problem to the Chrysler regional office in your area. That's what I did back in April when the dealer already worked on it a week replaced 4 different things & wasn't even close to a solution.Also would suggest trying a different dealer for service - I have done that & has been a major improvement.
  • ramman1ramman1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a "98 dodge sst and absolutely love it.
    No problems to speak of here. Ever since "94, all I wanted was a ram. Never did I look at any other american truck-[non-permissible content removed] trucks are out of the question. It is truly unfortunate to hear of all the problems with the transmissions-I do feel for you all. So far, nothing has cropped up(fingers crossed). I realize this is a ram site but I do also own a '91 jeep renegade with 110,000 miles on it and so far I have had no major problem to report-it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Yes, I've had my share of [non-permissible content removed] cars/trucks. Truth be known, I like it better than the ram(sentimental). Back to the ram; I do agree the transmission shifts alot with the o/d and lockout torque converter but I feel this is a trade off for gas mileage. The sst is fully loaded with over 6,000 miles on the odometer, I do not regret my buying decision. Good luck all you ram owners, take care of your trucks and they might take care of you.
  • 606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    I have a 90 and 98 2500 reg cab turbo diesel auto.
    78k on the 90 and 4k on the 98. Have had good luck with both. The 98 is a neat truck. Fun to drive. Didn't trade the 90 for the 98, anybody want'a buy a truck?

Wow, mharde2, 10k miles already. When do you find time to play on the computer? I think I'm getting the same fuel milage.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Hi Ron, Over 6,000 of those miles where driven on 3 trips with the 5th wheel. Big Bend Nat Park, Gulf Shores Alabama, and Evansville Indiana. Each was around 2,000 miles each. The one to Indiana I took my 2 daughters, and 3 grandaughters.(8mo. 2yr and 5yr old)I thought it was going to be the trip from hell, but it turned out great. They where all little angels. Even the daughters. No...I also took my car for the 2 little ones and their moms. I'm not that crazy.:)
    So far I love the truck...Headed for Divide Co. with the camper in two weeks. I guess I will find out if I need one of those exhaust brakes then.
  • johnboy1johnboy1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanx to Brutus for the Happy Campers url on the Ram brake problem. Looks like this problem was worse with 95 model trucks, and gradually was fixed; some people just bought after market calipers. I guess I don't understand why Dodge won't just replace the parts in my brake system with the latest, more reliable parts. (probably the calipers not releasing completely is causing the front rotors to warp, not sure about the rears). As a matter of fact, I don't understand why they have continued to replace bad parts with bad parts, like they did with the two fuel pumps they replaced. The mentality seemed to be (when I was inside warranty), "what the hey, we'll just replace it, no worry about how much it costs Dodge. Oh, fuel pump out again, no problem, we'll just drop the gas tank and slide in another. Oh that one's bad too, yeah, we had problems with that manufacturer, but now we have a new one." Etc.

Now that the truck is past 36K, the attitude is:"Hey, we've given you lots of warranty work for free (they don't count the dozens of hours I spent), now it's YOUR TURN! You pay for our poor quality parts, and then pay for them again, and again. Why not fix the thing right the first time?

There is a great lacking of a Quality orientation at Dodge trucks, and perhaps Chrysler, in general, from what I've seen. There is also an ethical concern, as they won't stand behind their product when they can charge your wallet.

I'll not buy anything else from Chrysler motors.
  • kip3kip3 Member Posts: 20
    I own a 96 ram with 5.9 engine, sb,reg cab. Everything works great except that at speeds between 45 and 55 (hardly noticeable at 60)just after the torque convertor locks, it feels like the engine is misfiring slightly or convertor isn't totaly locked. Its very noticable on mild grade hills. It goes away momentarily if I touch the break and unlock the convertor even while accelerating.It is then ok until the TQ. locks again. Same thing when the od. is locked out. The dealer replaced the Wranglers with Michilins, checked the computer for errors etc.. Anybody else having this problem. Anybody got any "fix" ideas! Does the engine get signals to run leaner or the timing do something different when the TQ locks?

Has anyone installed any of the speed goodies such as computor chip,k+n filter asm.,cat back duals. Thx kip
    Pete, I have found that an old wash rag and the soap or shampoo I use to wash my ram, will clean the wheels of brake dust just fine. I use a soft 2" wide paint brush to swoosh around inside the lug openings. Works great! kip3
    David, The Michelin tires did help with some of the "tire out of balance" problems. Then I took it to a tire place here in Atlanta and they "STROBE BALANCED' the tires on the truck. That took care of the road/tire vibes and the bouncing from the right rear bed area. But this jerky "week sparkplug,engine too lean" thing is still there. The Chrysler road man said it is now a suspension thing thats characteristic of the SB rams. RIGHT! I tried to reply to your e-mail but it came back to me. "Hummm" maybe a characteristic of SB PCs.. Thx Kip
    Dave, Thx for your response. This problem started when I got my Ram. I suppose I should have imposed the lemon law, but kept hoping they would actually care and find a cure. I've had 2 quick recalls. Something interesting is that the mechanic that did the 2nd recall, got me to the side and told me that I have an oil leak at the rear of the intake manifold(next to firewall) and if oil can leak out, it could be creating a vacuum leak and cause weird problems that the computer might miss. When I got home I rubbed my hand back there and *BINGO*. At his request I'm gona wait a month and return with a "oil smell and rough running" complaint. The service mgr. is tired of replacing the gaskets under warranty. According to the mechanic a lot of the ones he has checked have been wet. His mgr. told him to not tell the customers. I will report on the outcome. Thx. kip
  • jneffjneff Member Posts: 9
    Hey Truck Owners I just bought me a new Ram 1500 Laramie SLT ext. cab. I love it and so far only 350 miles on it with no trouble what so ever!!! I want this truck to run for a good 250,000 miles. I used Auto-by-tel and they were great I got 500 over invoice and great service!!!! Good luck to the reat of you and keep me posted
  • keymukeymu Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of putting in a order for a dodge 1500-quad, but selecting options is becoming tedious for me (being a first-time truck owner)

Living in NH, where there's snow a good 4-5 months out of the year, would it be benefiticial to get the limitied slip differential for the 4wd?

Both my driveways have inclines (one being almost 60 degrees). Any suggestions?
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Limited slip and 4wd are always an advantage in snow country.
    keymu: I agree with Brutus. Get em both! Without limited slip You could get into a situation that 1 front and 1 rear are spinning and the other tires on each end are just sitting there. With limited slip you would effectively have 3 wheels pulling. You will also find that you wont need 4wd as often.kip
  • wolf2wolf2 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 95 Ram 1500 4x4 SB.
    I have had 3 different steering columns put in
    so far. The problem is a loose rattley feeling
    when going over certain bumps. The last one I
    had installed was WORSE then the one they replaced.
    Does anybody know if Chrysler is using a different
    manufacturer for these columns??
    As of a couple months ago I heard they were using
    the same columns in the 99 year. I know of at
    least 10-15 guys who have had the same problem.
    I have a 99 Ford SuperDuty on order but if I can
    get a column that is good I just may keep the
    Ram....Because other than the column problem
    I love truck...

Anybody know whats up??
    Thanks
    wolf2
  • slakieslakie Member Posts: 6
    Wolf2 - There have been several posts on the Dodge Ram mailing list on the steering column replacement. The consensus on the list is that Borgeson (URL below) makes a replacement which is excellent quality and all who have installed it are very satisfied.
    http://www.borgeson.com/
  • pstoutepstoute Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a Quad cab, V-10, 4 w/d, ls differencial, 2500 w/hd trannie case, etc., etc, etc., in May. Is it unreasonable to think that its about time to be getting this rig? It was on a material hold until after they stopped making '98's so I'm told it will be a '99 @ '98 price. Too much to ask?? Not in my book.
  • Bruce8Bruce8 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a dealer price on a 1998 Ram 3500 4X2 Chassis Cab with a V10 Diesel Engine. How do I find it??
  • jrstoutejrstoute Member Posts: 1
    for Bruce8... you might try carpoint.msm.com
    thats where I got the numbers to use for my Ram order. Also Kelly Blue Book has a sight kbb.com
    Good Luck !
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Bruce8,

You won't find anything on a 3500 V10 diesel because you have badly confused yourself there.

The V10 is a gasoline engine.
    The diesel in a straight six.

Which were you really interested in?

Chassis cab prices are at www.carprices.com
  • bribri Member Posts: 7
    I just ordered a '99 Dodge quad cab 1500 2wd last weekend. I was told it will take the usual 6 weeks to get the vehicle in. Does anybody know if it will take a lot longer than this? By the way, I got a good deal and got it for invoice. In fact, the dealer gives you a copy of the invoice. Can't wait to be driving in a pick-up again.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    For long distance hauling I would def. go with the diesel. No question about it. Personally, I like the Ford line of SD trucks (mine comes in on the 24th) so I may be a little biased. I don't know if you know which 3 cars you'll be taking, but a lot of cars are closer to 3,500 lbs these days, giving you 10,500 + trailer.

You didn't mention if you wanted regular cab, extended cab, or crew cab. The Ford F350 DRW diesel tows 13,800 in a regular cab, 13,500 in an extended cab, and 13,200 in a crew cab. The F450 and F550 up the ante to as much as 18,300 lbs.

With the kind of distance you're planning on going (and the fact that this sounds like a single purpose vehicle), I'd probably go with the Ford F450. You'll get a stronger frame, beefier axles, larger wheels (19.5" rather than 16"), a solid axle in the front, much bigger brakes (14.5" front, 15.5" rear), etc. The F350 or the Dodge 3500 would handle the load, but without as much leeway.

I'd guess (pure guessing here) that the F450 would also maintain its value more than the F350 or Dodge 3500. People expect the heavier duty trucks to get that kind of use and mileage, whereas an F350 with close on 1/4 million miles wouldn't be as attractive to a future purchaser.

You could get the F450 chassis cab, and add on a towing bed, which makes hookups a bit easier than a standard gooseneck inside a truck bed.

If you haven't driven the new FSuperDuty line, I'd give it a look. Take a test drive in the F350 (same body) with the diesel engine... you'll be amazed at how little sound penatrates the engine compartment with the windows up. Its quieter on the inside than my old '89 F250 with the 460 gas engine is. For long trips (especially over 100,000 miles a year) that makes a big difference.

If you have any other questions -- just ask :-)
    I guess we're assuming that the towing will be done with a gooseneck or fifth wheel type set up not a conventional trailer? The tow limits are different (and lower) for conventional towing.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    I don't know if your resale will be as good with the F450 over the 3500 Ram or F350. The F450 doesn't have near the demand the other 2 have.
  • davidd1davidd1 Member Posts: 9
    Brutus, thanks for the kind word on the brake survey. I was the poor soul that conducted it. I just found this page and have enjoyed reading the post. Like most, I love my truck. Got 9000 miles on it and no problems. I hear about computer problems with the early 24v engines and I hope that Chrysler and Cummins get that resolved fast. Ford dealers are already jumping on the "have you heard about the Cummins problems" band wagon.
  • panol3panol3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys. Stanford: it was really helpful.
    The thing is that I am just financing ...venture. So I am rather new to the pickups and towing.
    But increasing my knowledge exponentially.
    I am thinking about Dodge as I am getting 20% break on Dodge.

One more question:
    Very rough idea about a difference in prices between Ford 350 and 450 chasis?
    Again very rough idea of the worth of a pick up Diesel engine after 1/4 million miles... 30%, 40% 50% of original price?? Or how many miles can RAM3500 or F 350 run. Any estimate? I want to know little bit about actual depreciation of these cars...
    Does Dodge make the equivelent of the F450/F550? It sounds like that would be ideal for you if they do. For comparison purposes, an F450 regular cab XLT will run $28,080 fairly nicely equipped (incl. cruise, tow. package, diesel, etc).

A 2 year old Dodge, comprably equipped, has a blue book value of $12,470 in good condition. I don't have numbers for the new SDs yet -- they're too new -- but I'd guess that they'd be comprable. A '96 F-SD is still worth $12,795 -- it looks like the heavier duty vehicles are less affected than the F350s were by the new style coming out. Of course, you'd end up with less than this, but I'd be surprised if you got less than $10,000.
    I just ran the KBB used car valuation for 500,000 miles and came back with the same results. It seems to top out at around 200,000 (the price stops going down). The numbers above should be close, though.
    Actually, the older F-SD came in with a better resale rate with 200,000 miles on it than the F-350 did. I'd guess that the demand for 2 year old high mileage F350s and D3500s isn't all that great either :-)
    The Ram 4000 is Mexico only - the highest US/Canada Ram is the 3500 that's out now
    once diesels hit that 200-250k mile plateau, the shadow of that $4000 rebuild starts looming, and resale is not much different than that of gas.
    Alot of people are also hesitant to buy a used diesel because the engines are often only as good as the owner has maintained them. I suspect that the used resale will be significantly improved if an owner keeps good maintenance records.

A prospective purchaser can easily get a rough idea of the cost to rebuild a gas engine, so they can factor that into their proposed purchase price for an older model gas engine truck. An unmaintained diesel engine could really start costing you some bucks after you break 100,000 miles. On the other hand, a well maintained diesel engine might not cost you anything other than routine maintenance costs for another 100,000 miles.

Alot of people are scared of diesels. It's going to be interesting when they start dropping them into the SUVs, like Ford and Chevy plan to do in the next couple of years.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    KC

Does the Mexican RAM 4000 have a higher GVW than the American RAM 3500? Or, is it the same truck, just rebadged?

Bob
    The Mexican 4000 is about halfway between a Ford 350 and 450. It looks just like a 3500, and it's chassis cab only. Mexico also gets medium duty Ram 6500s and 7000s (which look really cool).

http://www.chrysler.com.mx/99/chr4100-f.html

This is the 4000 - you can see the use of medium duty mirrors here too.
  • atcscatcsc Member Posts: 11
    Looking for some advice! I now have a '97 dodge 1500 extended cab short bed with 5.9 V-8 3.54 rear end. I pull a 28 foot 5th wheel (GVWR 7700 lbs) about twice a month camping. I've had it all weighted out and it comes real close to the max for the truck. I want to go to a 2500 quad long bed. My question concerns engine selection and rear end ratio. Someday I'd like to go to the diesel, but don't think I travel or pull enough to warrant it right now. The V-10's gas milage is not real good but of course it pulls most anything. My 360 pulls my camper pretty good (at least down here in the flat lands of the gulf coast). Would the standard issue 360 in the 2500 pull OK and would it pull better if I got the 4.09/4.10 (I've seen both figures) rear end? And what would the difference in gas milage be? What kind of milage are you V-10 folks getting (solo and pulling)?

Reference all the posts-they have been really interesting and informative. This Dodge is my second. First one was a '95 1500 standard cab long bed with 318. Both have been really good to me. No major problems to report. Maybe I just haven't worked them as hard (hauling and pulling). If they don't stand up to good heavy use, that's a bad thing. I wish you all luck and satisfaction in getting the problems fixed as I do think the Dodge truck is overall a pretty darn good truck. And I hope Dodge taps into this web and "reads to learn" what they need to concentrate on for building future trucks. Thanks for your returned advice and I'll keep reading.
    i think we should send a notice out to all of the big three to peak in here and see whats being said. it kinda be nice to be able to shoot questions at an actual engineer, wouldn't it?
  • GriffoGriffo Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new 1500, Quad, 4x4 short bed. When empty and/or not pulling a load, the back end seams to bounce while driving down the freeway (especially when you go over the expansion joints in the road). The off-road shop said it is a very common problem and they installed spring shackles to the rear of the leaf springs and that helps a bit. They also suggest Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, which is my next move. Any other suggestions or advice (short of 300 lbs. worth of sand bags in the bed)?
  • jfryrmanjfryrman Member Posts: 2
    Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! As a novice Ram enthusiast, I am interested in learning more about the pros and cons of various available options for a 2500, Cummins, Quad Cab, short bed 4x4.

To get or not to get?:
    sure grip axle/4.10 axle ratio/4-wheel ABS/aux rear suspension group/HD engine cooling/engine block heater/shift-on-the-fly transfer case/HD aux trans oil cooler

Please help! Thanks!
    jfry,

in order:

SureGrip - mandatory
    4.10 - only if you tow or constantly have a full bed
    4WABS - if you don't leave the pavement
    aux susp - see 4.10
    HD t-case- worth the $100 (all are SOF, this option is really the NV241HD over the NV241)

The engine block heater, HD engine cooling, and trans cooler are standard with the Cummins, so these are coming with the truck anyway.
    What are you going to be using the truck for?
  • shawn5shawn5 Member Posts: 5
    TO: jfyman
    My brother has the 2500 4x4 v8 and he has the aux springs and the 4.10 ls axle. While riding along on a trip to Maine towing an 18 ft Sea Ray the ride was nice and smooth. Around town the ride is quite brutal and very bouncy. For average towing and everyday use the aux springs are not neede in my opion. The truck is great even with the v8 could use some more pep. To address the cummins option, take a close look at the real reason you are spending the extra money. MPG are not that much different and the cost of operation only goes to the deisel after about the 100,00 0 mile mark. Good Luck with all your decisions.
  • ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    #0 of 1: Waz1 (waz1) Wed 23 Sep '98 (01:02 PM)

I am looking for the invoice price from Mopar for
    a 1999 Dodge Ram Slt 4wd along with the cost of
    different options. Please respond
  • ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    The 1999 Dodge Ram prices haven't been posted on Edmunds yet, but as soon as I find out they are, I will let you all know.
    www.autosite.com has the 99 Ram prices

(no offense, ruz, but they may be in a hurry to buy)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I read with some interest the other day that, one of the first projects that DaimlerChrysler is going to tackle is, the "rationalization of their trucks" - whatever that means. I can only assume that there is a great deal of product overlapping, at least with the medium/heavy trucks. There are, however, other interesting possibilities too.

Medium/Heavy lineup:
    Right now they have Freightliner, Mercedes and Sterling offering much the same kinds of product. I wonder if they might consolidate the three brands under one name?

Dodge Ram:
    This is due for a make over within two years or so. I hope that they offer the 1500 series with a slightly higher GVW - in the 6900-7000 range. Dodge has (rightfully so) abandoned the 2500 (7200 GVW) market, and I feel that has left too big a gap between the current 2500HD (8600 GVW) and the current 1500 (6400 GVW) models.

Dodge Dakota:
    If the RAM 1500 moves up a bit as I suggested, that would allow the Dakota to do the same - perhaps fill the old 6400 GVW slot. More important, however, is that I would like the Dakota to offer 49"-50" between the rear wheel wells - to better compete with the upcoming Toyota Tundra.

Other possibilities:
    There is talk of Mercedes & Dodge jointly developing a full-size pickup for overseas markets. It is rumored that it could be badged as either a Dodge, Mercedes or Freightliner.

If the Dakota becomes slightly larger, as I suggest, that would leave the possibility of Jeep reintroducing the Comanche pickup, off the next Cherokee platform - which would be smaller than the Dakota. From what I've read, the next Cherokee is supposed to share a lot with the next generation Wrangler. The Wrangler, Cherokee and Comanche would make for a very interesting family of vehicles.

Bob
  • imatomboyimatomboy Member Posts: 1
    Two questions:

What constitutes proper maintenance for a diesel?

Is the Cummins diesel available on the Ram 1500?

I am interested in a quad cab, shortbed, 4 door.

Thanks.
  • rexallenrexallen Member Posts: 11
    Is there truth to the comments I'm hearing that all or most of the Cummins diesel owners are averaging 22-24 MPG. Can this be for real. Can someone fill me in on this
This discussion has been closed.