Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

ford power stroke diesel questions

2»

Comments

• mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    That's something similar to what I had in mind, no motor and generally shaped like a canoe. But I hadn't thought of river use. Now I know.

One question though. How do you get back to your truck?
  • justdriftingjustdrifting Member Posts: 18
    Hello,

I saw a few number in this post about mileage and wanted to see some more.

If you own a diesel, could you post your year/model along with your average miles per gallon.

Thanks in advance!
  • cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    '02 F250 Crew cab, SB, automatic, 4x4...
    drove off the lot at 50 miles on truck - 20 mpg. Have been averaging close to 20, driving on the highway at 75 mph., drops to about 18.5, but they say break in is between 3,000-5,000 miles, we now have 2,100 (all in about a month). Towed a load (trailer & 70 bales) of hay about 120 miles, at 60-65 mph, never noticed a difference in mileage. Love it!
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    You just paddle upstream, supposedly they are pretty easy to move but I have never tried it. I prefer my method which involves a jet drive and a 330hp V-8 for propulsion.
    '99 F-350 SC LWB DRW PSD 6-speed/3.73 rear end; Mixed city/highway driving, empty, 18.5 mpg. Towing, doesn't seem to matter whether city or highway, 11.25 mpg.
  • justdriftingjustdrifting Member Posts: 18
    Thanks.
  • ksystemsksystems Member Posts: 4
    Nikiblue1: I am looking at the 2003 F250 myself with the same issues in mind. Is the pain of the inevitable slew of TSB's for a new engine design worth the pain? For me, yes. Given the improvements claimed for the new design, I'm leaning towards the 6 over the 7.3, even though it won't be available for supposedly 6 months or so. At least I'll wait till I can read some actual reviews.

The 7.3 was updated 5 times. Strong design but it had its gremlins. Why did they spend all that money to come out with a new design if the old one was okay?

Ford claims the 6 is 20% quieter and 10% more efficient. The filters are easier to reach and change. The single overhead cam is adjustable and has variable valve timing etc. Less emissions (which may be the main reason for redesign).

For me, I'd rather live with a design that's moving into the future than one that is about to be discontinued. So, while Ford delays the issue of the new 6 so they can sell off the 7.3 stock and parts, anyone actually seen/heard one of these?
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    ksystems: I think I will wait as well. I went to ford-diesel.com and people there stated as well that I should wait. I had a lift done on my Excursion a while ago. I just towed a trailer from Utah to California with the lift. Ouch, 8 miles per gallon average. I WANT the new diesel. I think I may actually wait until the end of next year. A lot of website rave about this new engine--I think it will be worth the wait. Thanks for advice.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    One draw back to a drift boat is that you need a second vehicle at the pull out point. Either that or hitch a ride back to your truck. Drift boats are a great boat. Hard to tip over and we apply an epoxy type resin to the bottom so the aluminum hull won't hangup on rocks. Some drifboats are fiberglass such as the ClackaCraft which are made locally. We also use a small outboard motor for use in larger rivers or on lakes.

jerry
    My BIL just bought a canoe. I can't wait to unload it in one of the small rivers around here. We are planning on taking it all the way to the Ohio River. Our waterways probably aren't near as interesting as what you see. Ours are all very slow moving.
    Be careful those canoes can be tippy. Keep the weight low in the bottom. Sounds like a fun trip.

Oregon has diverse waterways. We do have some slow moving rivers but the fun ones have lots of rapids which means boulders. A lot of white water rafting, canoeing, and kayaking. Just wish I could get out and do some.

all the best

jerry
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Join us NOW for a chat with editor Brent Romans -- everything trucks! 8 pm ET/5 pm PT.

Click here!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    What do boats have to do with powerstroke diesels??? gonna put one in your canoe???
    I got sidetracked. But, they are being pulled by Powerstrokes!
    Everything of course. Sometimes it about how we use our trucks.

jerry
  • jdtopperjdtopper Member Posts: 58
    Now, where can I find a good drift boat to haul with my PSD (and a river to put it in?)

JT
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    And people say IM a wise [non-permissible content removed]. any one know what a crew cab short box 4X4 6-speed would get with a 3.73 for mpg....approx?
    I have an F-350 SC 4x2 that gets 18.5 unloaded mixed driving and 11.25 loaded.
  • k2riderk2rider Member Posts: 21
    I'm looking into getting a new F-250 and ws curious to find out if there will be a wholesale body change for the 2004 models? Does anybody have any photos or a link with photos/concepts that they can refer me to? I know all the magazines are always sneaking around, trying to get the "first look" photos. Waiting around for the new deisel doesn't sound like the worst idea either. At least that way I'd have a couple options.

Thanks for your help.
  • usernamesruleusernamesrule Member Posts: 1
    I had my 99 250 PSD in to Ford yesterday to have the tranny seal and the stall converter replaced. When I got it back, the engine sounds differently. I've had the truck for only 3 months, but I drive it every day and the difference is noticable even to others. The other thing that concerns me is that when I used to go over certain hills(empty) It would always drop down a gear to get me up. Now, it's not even close. My concern is that it might not be going into the high gear. Before the work, around 40 mph, it would kick into this really quiet high gear. It doesn't seem to do that now. There is, by the way, a chance that this is just a result of me being a new owner.

Anyway, at 60 mph with no load, I'm at 1750 RPMs. At 70, I'm at 2000rpms. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Seems like it was lower before. I called Ford, and I think the guy thinks I'm wacko. All he could say is that the work they did wouldn't change the sound of the engine, and that I could come on Monday and have them check it out again(it's Saturday now).

Anybody have an opinion on this? Thanks for any help.
    I have a 6-speed, but the 2k rpms at 70 sounds low for mine. I'd say mine does around 2.2k at 70. BTW: I have a 3.73
  • garthmangarthman Member Posts: 42
    you have double the miles in your equation for the Diesel. So, 150,000 miles just like the gasser would equal 27+ cents per mile. Then, you can figure the miles per gallon savings from that figure.

Diesels will save you cost if you drive in excess of 60,000 per year...They are expensive, dirty, stinky and pollute when city driving. They are made for always on use.
    The mileage figures for the gasser and diesel are based on the life expectancy of the vehicle. Sure gassers can, and do, go past 150k while diesels can go past 300k. But, you're right. If a person only puts 150k on a diesel, then the cost of ownership per mile goes up. However, the $0 end value assumption in this scenario is then flawed.
  • newguy02newguy02 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks.
    I'm looking to upgrade from a 1994 F150 xl 2wd to an F250 psd 4x4 xcab. I recently tried out both the auto and the manual. I really liked the manual except that they moved the reverse to the no. 1 position. Found that a little confusing. I am looking for a truck that will last for a while. I have a little experience with diesels, but none from personal ownership. I will be reading all of your posts to help me with my decision.
    We bought an '02 F250 crewcab, psd, auto., and love it. We've gotten away from standard trannys...as hubby says, he shifts gears all week, he isn't doing it on the weekend anymore.

We got our '02 about 2 months ago, put 4500 miles on it and we both love it.

Best of luck with your decision.

Chris
  • pipesmokerpipesmoker Member Posts: 23
    I have an F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 with V-10. I purchased Sept. 2002 after 9-11. I presently
    have 12,000+ miles. Have had no problems.
    I have Lariet package with all available options.

I chose the V-10 over the diesel because of the
    $$$ savings along with avoiding all the mess
    and maintenance. Actually no more heavyduty
    towing that I do I probably could have easily
    gotten by with the V-8 gasser.

Happy in Alabama with V-10.

MPG = 13-14 on the road and 11-12 in the city.
    Nearly two years ago I was in your position. Had a '92 F-150 SC, SB, 4X4 with 150k miles. It was time for something new. Began looking at and test driving new gas 150's and 250's. Didn't take much to understand the 250 was a better value, it's a lot more rig. Then I drove the Powerstroke. Hook was immediatley set.

The tough choice will be V-10 or Powerstroke. I don't "need" the stroke, however it is my preference.
  • natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    Hi all. Hope you don't mind a VW TDI interloper. :)

One big advantage of a diesel engine is that you can burn biodiesel in it. Biodiesel is diesel fuel made from just about any veggie oil (usually soybeans in the US). It will virtually eliminate smoke, make the engine run smoother (more lubricity), should increase engine life, keeps your fuel dollars in America instead of sending them abroad and out of the US economy (support farmers, not oil barons), and burns much cleaner (no sulfur, is virtually carbon-neutral... so it barely contributes to global warming, etc).

There's a bunch of info about biodiesel at www.biodieselnow.com.
    By any chance are you "brewing" your own biodiesel? Have heard that some folks do. They recycle french fry oil etc. Sounds like biodiesel is coming on strong. Too bad for the oil companies.... Ah shucks.

jerry
    Not I. You need lye and methanol to break the glycerine off the veggie oil. I have two toddlers, and no garage, so I just don't want that stuff lying around the house.

I am seriously considering getting a waste vegetable oil setup like www.greasel.com or www.greasecar.com, so I can run the car on straight veggie oil from restaurant friers.
    in our local newspaper just two days ago about biodiesel. In the article it stated that the EPA has mandated all sulfur to be removed from diesel by 2006. We all know what this does for diesels lubricity. They said as little as a 2% mix of soybean oil increased lubricity by 66%. Also according to the article, only a $.02 price increase at the pump. Is this article FOS or is it correct?
    Biodiesel has incredible lubricity benefits. The most often sold blend is b20, or 20% bio, 80% diesel. Bio would be a GREAT solution for lubricity loss caused by the desulfurization process.

The 2006 ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) won't have ZERO sulfur... it'll have MUCH less. Right now in the US, our maximum sulfur content is 500 PPM. In Europe, and in 2006, that max PPM will be 15 (yes, fifteen). This will enable us to get all the incredible diesel cars they have in Europe that go 0-60 in 6 or 7 seconds yet get 40 MPG and 700 miles on a tank of fuel.

I know in my 96 Passat TDI, bio makes a huge difference in how smooth the engine runs. Just this week I ran out of my supply (I get 50-gallon drums delivered to my house) and had to fill up with petroleum. The car ran MUCH rougher. Then I borrowed 5 gallons from a biodiesel buddy (so I'm running about b30 right now) and the car is running much better.

The other annoying thing when I was back to petroleum for those few days is that the smoke was back! I had almost forgotten about smoke when accellerating quickly. Thankfully, it's gone again.
    How much does a drum cost and where do you get it?
    Cost really varies from state to state.

There's a list of retail sites here:

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/default.shtm

and there are many more companies that deliver.

Luckilly for you, there are a bunch of fueling loations in MO:

Convenient Food Mart -- 3714 W. Truman Blvd., Jefferson City, MO 65109; (573) 893-3278; 6am-Midnight

Deluxe Truck Stop -- 4500 Packers Ave, St. Joseph, MO; (816) 232-0000; B2 public pump

Larry's MFA -- Tipton, MO; (660) 433-2131; B2 public pump

The Lodge of Four Seasons - Marina -- Horseshoe Bend Pkwy., Lake Ozark, MO 65049; 1-800-THE-LAKE (By water: Mile marker 13 on Horseshoe Bend)

MO Valley Ag -- 17800 US Hwy 136, Rock Port, MO 64482; (660) 744-5325; B2 public pump

Otterville Mini Mart -- Otterville, MO; (660) 366-4810; B2 public pump

• fordy1fordy1 Member Posts: 30
    On nov. 4, 02 ford will start producing the next
    generation psd the 6.0 and a new auto trans just for it. of course the rear will be 3.73. I can see
    people lined up now for that new truck. Don't be
    to concerned about trying something new. this new
    psd has been tested and tested and tested again.
    325 hourses and 560 lbs. of the big T.
  • cadzookacadzooka Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 99 250 4x4 PSD. Didn't know a thing about 7.3L. Has 40K miles and I'm currently achieving 13MPG.. seems low. Any national brands (Texaco vs. FlyJ, etc.) to avoid. Recommends for oil and how often? Also, what about engine performance upgrades, (K&N filters etc..)
    Finally, online truck parts, any suggestions for nerfs, bug guards, flaps?

Happy Trails & lookin' forward to leavin' the porch, Big dogs!
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Hi, Congrats on your new truck. Have fun!

Don't have a diesel, but a lot of PSD owners swear by Shell Rotella oil. Available cheaper at Walmart in gallon jugs for those 15 qt oil changes.

I bought nerf bars/cab steps from these folks. (not cheap though)

http://www.n-fab.com/products.asp

Friend of mine recommended this site for PSD

http://www.dieselpage.com/vehtype/pfordps99l.htm

Sure the other regulars here will chime in with their sites and answer mileage question too.

Congrats on the "new to you" truck!!! No perfume is any sweeter than the smell of diesel exhaust. Your 13 mpg does sound really low. My 350 dually gets around 18 mpg. However, you probably have a "cackler." This refers to a particular noise the engine makes at a certain rpm. Ford claims it is normal. I don't think so. Everybody that I have corresponded with claims their mileage went down when their truck started cackling. Your mileage is consistent with what they are saying. There are some things you can do to help the situation without spending a great deal of money. Go to www.thedieselstop.com This website is almost entirely devoted to the Powerstroke and Superduties. There is more information available on that website than you can possibly read in a month.

Walt's suggestion of visiting www.dieselpage.com is an excellent idea. They have everything needed to maintain your truck and will assist you in anyway possible. With the exception of oil and oil filters, I buy all of my needed supplies there. I swear by Rotella. I used to work for a major trucking company that uses Rotella exclusively in their fleet. They put approximately 750k miles on each truck before deciding to overhaul or sell. Most times, the trucks they sell have body or frame problems while the motors are in great shape. The overhauled trucks are then run 'till the bodies fall apart. I know there are other equally good oils out there, but the Rotella is easy to get and is relatively cheap. I get mine at Sam's for $6/gallon. Good oil is VERY important to a diesel, especially the PSD. The PSD uses a hydraulic system to "fire" the injectors with high pressure engine oil. So, inferior oil is not an option.

As far as diesel fuel goes, it is best to buy only from high volume truck stops. Fresh fuel is paramount to good engine performance. Mom and Pop stations allow the diesel to sit around too long. Diesel fuel will absorb water and grow algae if left in a tank too long. The stations that I have available to me turn over a minimum of approximately 2k gallons a day. With most of the underground tanks being only 10k gallons, these tanks get "turned over" every few days. One station I go to has a tanker unloading almost constantly. I have never had any water in my fuel/water seperator using these stations.

Engine upgrades are even more endless than they are with gassers. A diesel can be improved greatly simply by adding a "chip" along with a high flow intake and exhaust. You'll get more bang for your buck doing that than anything else. Well, just shy of adding propane injection. A little too extreme for me.

Truck accessories for these Superduties are just about everywhere. Only your budget controls this.

And finally, yes you will be running with the big dogs now. Don't let any of the Dodge or Chevy guys BS you. You have one heck of a truck that will do a tremendous amount of work, and do it easily.

Happy trucking!
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    The Ford web site says "Winter 2003".

I assume that's closer to January, 2003 than December, 2003.
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    I had heard the 6.0 diesel would have aluminum heads, but this site refutes that. Has anything come out yet on what actual fuel mileage will be on the F-350 with this engine and a manual tranny?
    I had heard it would be stronger and use less fuel than the larger and older version.
  • richp71richp71 Member Posts: 1
    Who manufactured the 1999 7.3l powerstroke. ?
    International/Navistar made both the 7.3L and the new 6.0L.
  • bthayer1bthayer1 Member Posts: 1
    Mr. Maige,

The prochure that I have from on the 6.0 PSD specifies cast iron as the cylinder head material.

I test drove a 6.0 PSD with the new Torqshift transmission today in a Super duty F250 Crew Cab With a long bed.

I have always purchased GM products as I am most attracted to drivetrain power. I have also driven the GMC 2500 HD with the Duramax and the Allison 5 speed AT. I was lured to the new 6.0 PSD by it's superior power rating and what many reviewers refer to as Ford's better Build quality. The Ford really surprised me.

My father in law owns a 1999 1 ton Ford with the 7.3 PSD and it is loud and gets horrible gas mileage (13-14 average). The new PSD with the Torqshift was stronger, smoother, as quiet and felt more solid than the GMC with the Duramax. I enjoyed driving the Ford much more than the GMC. I was very impressed by the Torqshift AT as it did not have the anoying shiftdown characteristics of the Allison. It felt as though the turning radius was tighter on the Ford as well.

The dealer cliams a 20% increase in mileage over the old 7.3 PSD. Most reviews that I have found claim a 10% increase. This would put the mileage in the 17 MPG range according to my calculation.

The only draw back of the Ford over the GMC is the cost. GMC seems more eager to sell the truck with incentives such as $1000.00 cash back and 0% financing for 60 months. I was also able to find one for $100.00 under dealer invoice. Because of the demand and availability of the new 6.0 PSD they are selling above MSRP in some cases and Ford has no Cash Back or special financing incentives. So now I must pay much more or settle for the inferior GMC. I almost wish that I did not test drive the Ford
    We got the '02 F250 diesel - it's not loud like the '99-'00s were. Fuel mileage runs 18-23 (city-highway). We love it - we too were Chevy fans until our lemon '00. We absolutely LOVE our Ford. I believe they do have a sharper turning radius than the Chevs., but we also notice that you actually have to 'steer' the truck more than the Chevs.

You might want to check the Ford website www.fordvehicles.com/incentives. I see that they do have $1500 cash back or $500 cash back & financing options in our area for the 7.3s. If you can find one, try it, you might be impressed.

Best of luck with your decision.

Chris
  • utvol1utvol1 Member Posts: 6
    Does Ford plan on putting the new 6.0 diesel engine into the Expedition? This would make a great SUV with better MPG and towing. I would like to see this happen since Ford is ending production of the Excursion in 2004. Doug
This discussion has been closed.