Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Owners

Comments

• tomstufftomstuff Member Posts: 2
    I've spent a great deal of time spec'ing out my new '99 Ram 1500, quad cab. I am undecided on 2 or 4 wheel drive. An option available is "Anti-spin differential axle"...I'm somewhat of a neophyte...what is this? Does it make a normal 2 wheel drive much better in the snow? The extra 3 grand for 4 wheel is a big hit if I don't need it.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Well, I just received another recall on my 98 Ram 24V. This one is for an adjustment on the engine control module to reduce emissions. I certainly hope this isn't going to affect performance. I havn't had the other recalls done yet. Maybe I will wait until I get a half dozen or so. That shouldn't take long at the rate they are coming in. This is starting to concern me a little....
  • dpaddpad Member Posts: 1
    1998 Qud Cab Sport 4x4 one year old 20,000 miles and on my sixth set of front brakes and third set of rear. I pull a 16ft trailer at about 4500 lbs. I get about 9 mpg and they tell me its my fault for towing to much. Time to give it back !!!!
  • fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
    Tom, The antispin diff will help you in the snow by providing power to the opposite wheel if one starts to slip. I got it on my quad cab and have already left a smokin two wheel burn out, some fun!

dpad, sounds like you tow and drive a lot. I would expect around 9 mpg towing a trailer like that. I would expect one change in pads while towing that big a trailer around for 20,000 miles but not six. Dont feel too bad, out toyota camry went through three sets of brakes in two years. What exactly is going wrong with your brakes? So, I can keep a look out for on my truck .
  • tomstufftomstuff Member Posts: 2
    I assume your quad is two wheel drive? If so, I think I can get away from the four wheel "hit"...appreciate the info...
  • sam31sam31 Member Posts: 1
    Just got back from dealers to have latest recall done for emissions and mine had the latest software no update needed and mine runs great.
  • gary46gary46 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a recall for the emissions change to the engine control module for my 98 Cummins 24V. What exactly will they change and what effect on performance will there be? So far it runs great.
  • 606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    I had my emissions recall done on Tuesday. I can't tell any difference in performance. I did the 0-60 test tonite @ 11.8 sec. I'm current now with four recalls.
  • Blong1Blong1 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the hint on the Protect all. I too have a Black Ram that is only 2 months old. I have been accused of being to careful but yet the black shows the scratches. Seems to have a little cloudy look also. I have been using Maguires (2 coats) but perhaps it is time to change. Looks great on not so bright days but terrible in the bright sun.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I also have a solid black Ram. Have observed two things. Turtle Wax doesn't shine as well, but lasts forever; Meguiars, has a fabulous shine, but it wears off quickly.
  • arlan1arlan1 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone can figure this out ya got more reasoning power than me. I just had the Nox recall done and I felt the power was up a bit. 0-60 in 12.37 seconds.......40-60 in 6.06 seconds. OK great! I had to make a run up to Big Bear Lake this morning and I decided to top off my tank for a mileage test. I had only 30.8 miles of around town driving with a few on the freeway. The trip to Big Bear Lake was 116.0 and the return trip was 137.3 the difference being from were I filled up to my cabin and back past the fill-up point then back to my starting point.

The results.........30.8 of city driving took 3.97 gallons = 7.76 MPG.

116.0 to BBL took 7.549 gallons = 15.37 MPG.

137.3 miles from BBL to home took 6.47 gallons 21.22 MPG

Now one might reason that the drive up the mountain was the difference but it cruised up the road like the climb didn't exist. From the bottom of the mountain to Big Bear Lake is 30 miles and if you subtract that from the 137.3 you get 107.4 divided by the 6.47 gallons it took to get home the result is 16.58 MPG.

Previously I got 17 to 18 mpg empty on the freeway.

The Nox recall was the third I've had done. After the 2nd recall, the run away engine speed thing,
    my around town mileage seemed to be down a couple mpg. I can't determine that much about the mpg empty as I have 23,000 miles on the truck, 22,000 of which had a load on it. Hauling my slide-in camper and occasionally towing a trailer with an atv an jet ski on it. The total weight of everything including the truck is right at 13,000 pounds. Loaded and towing I only got 12 to 13.5 or so. Power was good though.

My truck is a 1998 D3500 24 valve 4X4 with automatic and the 3.54 rear end.

Does any of this make any sense?

Help me think!!!
    Foirst of all,m there's nothing wrong with your results. You're going to get better fuel economy downhill because your right foot isn't in it.

Second, why are you subtracting 30 miles from your return trip, but still using the same fuel amount figure? That's like saying you drove 200 miles and used just 10 gallons for 20 mpg, but if you subtract 30 miles, you only got 17 mpg. You can't compare different mile totals with the same amount of fuel. If you're going to subtract the 30 miles from the lake to the bottom of the mountain, you need to know how much fuel you used during those 30 miles and subtract that from the 6.47 gallons as well.
  • DmatDmat Member Posts: 43
    Check this out, I just started building it this weekend.

http://members.xoom.com/99overNvoice/Index.htm

I'm offering super deals for everyone on Edmunds, pass the word if you know anyone who wants to order.

Matt D
    DaimlerChrysler is not wasting any time on DayOne with announcements and projections. Is a Super Duty Ram in your future? Click here:

http://www.auto.com/targetnews/articles/Automotive/11_17_1998.reutr-story-N12169078.html
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Only problem:

Indeed, at least one analyst says DaimlerChrysler already intends to introduce such a pickup, based on the next-generation full-sized Dodge pickup platform, in model-year 2003.

One of the nice things about the F-SD is that it shares very little with the F150 platform. Its going to be interesting though -- that's about when my F350 may be due to be replaced... I wonder if they'll finally offer a Crew Cab?
    MY2003 also matches with Cummins' plans. The Cummins rep at the Dodge Ram area of the NY Auto Show this past spring told me the next redesign of the 5.9 will be the summer of 2002. Coincidence?
  • cgregory1cgregory1 Member Posts: 1
    My son is thinking of buying a '98 Dodge Ram 4/WD Pickup, extended cab, diesel, 3/4 ton. Would like opinions of those who have the vehicle. Do you feel like the dealers negotiate on this vehicle, or is this a "hot" vehicle on which dealers do not negotiate very much? Also, owners of older Ram 4/WD diesel's, are they realiable?
  • bunkskibunkski Member Posts: 10
    So you like your v-10. Glad to hear it. I'm still trying to decide 24V or v-10. Not many 8.0L owners out there and you definitely can't find one on the lot to test out. From all the discussion it seems the 10 is gonna win. Do you do any towing (fifth wheeling)? Did you compare the ford and dodge V-10's? What turned you off about ford? Sure does seem to be a lot of satisfied ford SD v-10's out there, but I don't like their torque curve compare to the 8.0L... Any other insight on what else to consider. I'm just about set on the quad cab, 4X4, short bed, 3.54 LS (better milage and the towing capacity is the same), auto, with the V-10.... Looks like I'm in the same market for what you bought.
  • panmanpanman Member Posts: 25
    I have a white quad cab. My dealer told me not to wax it because wax would eat away at the coating. I've had it since June and water still beads up on the truck. Has anybody else heard anything like this?
  • Liana_michelleLiana_michelle Member Posts: 10
    My boyfriend just went out and bought himself a 1998 extended cab dodge pick-up. I'm worried about his recent decision because I've heard some pretty bad things about the transmissions. If you know anything about this, could you let me know. Oh yeah, is there anything else I should be concerned with?
  • arazaraz Member Posts: 27
    Wow, now I know why my RAM 1500 was $5,000 cheaper than a comparable Ford. That's what it'll
    cost me to keep it running.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Liana, Don't worry about the transmission. They have made some improvements on the new ones. I havn't heard any bad reports on the 97s & 98s.
  • swaineswaine Member Posts: 1
    I'm just beginning to look for a new P/U. Right now I have my eye on a 2500 4x4 SLT Quad Cab with the cummins engine. I have two questions. Does anyone have a guess at the gas mileage? And will short trips shorten the life? It is only 15 miles to work.
    I have a larger rig than what you're shopping for - click on my name link to see the configuration. Depending on my right foot, I get anywhere from 15 to 22 mpg. Short trips will not shorten the life as long as you get the engine up to operating tem. I'm only 6 miles from work myself. It's the maintenance that will make or break the engine's life expectancy. Take care of the Cummins by the book, and it will outlast the rest of the truck.
  • DmatDmat Member Posts: 43
    I don't know if you knew this, but if you took the Cummins out of the truck, it would pull a whopping 20,000 lbs. The restricting factor, for the most part, are the breaks.

BTW if a V configuration works better in a Diesel, why don't big rigs (Mack, Peterbuilt, Volvo...) use the idea.

Matt D
    mjdrake@yahoo.com

P.S. The site is completely up and running now :)
    Matt,

Actually, the most restricting factor is the transmission. If you uprate the 47RE with a high output torque converyter and a shift kit, you can run the 600 lb-ft version of the Cummins with no problems whatsoever. I know a few people who have done this, and they say their Rams can pull a house down now.
  • tlippytlippy Member Posts: 8
    swaine..I have the 99 version of the truck you're considering and it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. I stopped next to a guy who was pulling 18,000# with an automatic. I wouldn't do it but if you get in tune with your truck I think you'll not have any problems. If I were buying for pulling 6000#, I would buy a stick.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    Hoping to go to my local Dodge dealer tomorrow. Have been waiting for the chevy 3/4 ton so I can compare but have ran out of patience. ... Planning to look at a 3/4 ton quad cab 4x4, V10, auto, 4.10 rear, for pulling a fifth wheel. Have been looking on the net for tow ratings for pulling a fifth wheel without success. Am guessing will be in excess of 13,000 pounds. I hope the dealer will be able to answer this. Anyone know of a site? ..... Also CarPoint pricer forces me to take leather seat if I select power seats. Dodge pricer does not. Anyone know? ..... Also considering the auxiliary rear suspension group (Extra springs and rear sway bar). Will this help much with towing vs solo ride? Any other suggestion that are not obvious etc? Rich
  • zpookzpook Member Posts: 7
    I'm comparing the Dodge 1500 with the 5.2 to the Ford F-150 with the 4.6. I want a 5 speed stick. The Ford 5.4 does not offer a stick with this engine. I pull a 18ft. bass boat so I want the bigger motor. My question is has anyone out there had any experience with the Ford and the 4.6 V-8. How does it compare to the Dodge 5.2. I'm going to be buying one or the other in the next few weeks any help would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know a good dealer in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I live in Arlington.
  • werjaminwerjamin Member Posts: 1
    get the dodge with 5.9
  • carknockercarknocker Member Posts: 2
    I have decided to buy a dodge quad cab, but do I go for the 1500 with the V8 or do I get the 2500 with the cummins, in the long run which will be the best, I do plan to keep the truck for at least 10 years
    carknocker,

Depends on your plans. If you're going to tow or occasionally fill the bed, go fro the 2500 Cummins. If it's simply a family car replacement, you'll be more comfortable ith the 1500 V8. Both will go 10 years as long as they are properly maintained.
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    What are the 0to60 and 1/4 mile times and speeds for the 5.9 and the V-10 and the diesel on a regular cab long bed 3/4 ton ?
    the times you want on the diesel can be found in the current issue of Open Road (Winter 98/99).
  • sandywillsandywill Member Posts: 7
    Help Ram Owners,
    Have owned our New 98 1500 quad-cab a mear 2 weeks and are already doing battle with the dealership. Our problem is that while driving down the road with our seatbelts on, the seatbelt light comes on and our belts lock in place, you can't move until you unbuckle it. Then you can't put it back on because it's still locked. It's an intermittment problem. Has anyone had this problem and gotten it fixed?
  • bunkskibunkski Member Posts: 10
    Good advice from Kcram, however not sure why you are comparing the v-8 to the cummins. They are for and serve completely different functions. Best advice I can give (after reading through all the postings on this topics myself and recently ordering my truck) take the time to research the various options to meet your wants and needs. Read through all these postings and those in diesel vs gas topic. Then go out and test drive them all....... Then make your decision.
    No half-ton can really do much in the way of hauling. If you use the SAE standard of 150 lbs per human, a Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 360 V8 has a resulting payload of just 800 pounds if the truck has a driver and 2 passengers in it (which is certainly not out of the realm of possibility with a Quad). People who own slide-in campers are almost required to get a 1 ton dually, because witn people and equipment, it's the only truck with enough actual payload to hold the darn thing.
  • bigmaxbigmax Member Posts: 11
    z man don't forget to order limited slip to help you up the boat launch.
    Max
  • drjfgdrjfg Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am new here today. I own a 96 Cummins and am going to get a 99, but am torn between the F250 and the Ram 2500 , both quad cabs and 4X4. I pull a boat (7000#) and want diesel. When not pulling I prefer the auto transmission for around town. How reliable are the new 99's in this regard? I have also heard of breakdown in the front end due to the weight of the diesel. Any truth to this?
    Does anyone know of a place to price Canadian trucks on the internet to take an invoice tothe dealer as I have read above.
    Thanks.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    bigmax,

I could be wrong, but I don't think the manual trans has anything to do with the low tow rating in a F-150 with the 4.6L. The tow limitations of the truck are the 1/2 ton (vs 3/4 or 1), the axle ratio, and the engine size. What is the tow rating on a F-250LD with the 5.4L and the 3.73 with the same manual tranny? If it's more, as we know it is, it would seem that that the tranny isn't the limiting factor.
    Brutus,

Unfortunately, the tow ratings are as follows:

F150 RC 4x2 (all w/ 3.55 axle)
    4.2/man 3600
    4.6/man 3500
    4.2/auto 5800
    4.6/auto 7200
    5.4/auto 8300

F250 Rc 4x2 (al w/3.73 axle)
    4.6/man 2500
    4.6/auto 7300
    5.4/auto 8700

The manual is not available with the 5.4 on the F150 or F250LD.

Dodge Ram numbers are this:

1500 RC 4x2 (all w/3.55 axle)
    3.9/man 3400
    5.2/man 5000
    3.9/auto 3200
    5.2/auto 8000
    5.9/auto 8000

Dodge does not offer a light duty 2500 comparable to the F250LD.

Clearly, from these numbers, no one wants you to tow with a light duty (under 8500 GVWR) truck with a stick. In contrast, Dodge's best tower is the 2500 4x2 with the Cummins/manual combo - 14,200 trailer rating.
  • jmwtxjmwtx Member Posts: 4
    Any comments on the Ram 1500 3.9L V6? Is this configuration underpowered? What about resale value? Texas has a big discount for this engine, so I would guess they are having a tough time selling it. Thanks.
  • SdwolffSdwolff Member Posts: 7
    I have a few questions. I am looking at the new 99 dodge pickups, my dad says for me to wait on the diesel so I am looking at the v-10 and 360 v-8 both will have the 5 spd manual and 3.54 axle. With each of these engine what kind of Mileage am I looking at? I am also considering a jacobs ignition system for both vehicles. Thanks for your time.

Sean Wolff Sean_Wolff@hotmail.com
    jmwtx,

The 3.9 is pretty useless. It's heavily discounted because a Ram with it is underpowered. The upcoming 3.7L OHC V6 (based on the 4.7 V8 currently in the Grand Cher) will be much more powerful, and is supposed to be ready for model year 2000.
    kcram, thanks for the info; that's what I suspected; the regional discount is about $1300 for the V6; is the 5.2L V8 OK?
  • KatmanduKatmandu Member Posts: 24
    If you want to use the truck for just hauling your family around (with your previous 3.9L question I assume you do) the 5.2 is PLENTY. The mileage with a 3.9 is almost identical as the 5.2 becuase it has to work so damn hard to push that beast around. A 3.9 has it's place but not in the RAM (thanx Kcram). Drive the 5.2 and the 5.9. The mileage is only 1-2 mpg different. The 360 really hauls butt. My buddy has a 1996 Ram 4x4 reg cab short box with the 360 and he gets 15 on the highway. Not overly fuel efficient, but if fuel economy is what you want whaddya getting a truck for??? Lesson to live by...If you're getting a truck, get a TRUCK! after the last payment's made you'll still have something...more than you can say for ANY car.
  • KatmanduKatmandu Member Posts: 24
    I just read my above post....MAN I'M GOOD!
    Katmandu, which one is the 360?
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    The 5.9. Figure ~60 cubic inches per liter.
  • ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    This topic is getting really long, so I'm going to freeze it and start a new Dodge Ram topic.

The new Ram topic is topic #460, Dodge Ram.
This discussion has been closed.