Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid

Comments

• cason621cason621 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone heard anything about a hybrid Accord, if, and when? Our lease comes up in 18 months and I'd love to make our garage all-hybrid.

Mike
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    It will happen, but not in the next 18 months. Eventually, virtually everything in the lineup will have some sort of hybrid drivetrain, but that is years away. In the case of the Accord, I would venture a guess of at least 3 years, perhaps not until the next-gen car [5 years]. In any case, not in the next 18 months...
  • spratt1spratt1 Member Posts: 53
    For what its worth, I heard from a Honda representative that within the next 3 years hybrid versions of all their vehicles will be offered. Not sure if that necessarily means in the U.S. We've already decided that whenever the Accord comes out, we will get it.
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    is that a 5 spd or CVT? if it's the CVT automatic, that's a great price. all the dealers i talked with [never got really serious into negotiating] said they get *at least* sticker, and often up to 2k above. once the car hits the lot, it is gone within 3 days. honda isn't delivering enough of them to stay in stock and drive the price down.

story (not sure is true): one salesperson said he brought an offer for sticker on their last hybrid, his manager said, "no way, we want at least 1k over sticker since they are flying out." (having sold previous ones for sticker) sure enough, 2 days later, they sold it for 1k over sticker to someone else.

for this reason, my wife and i opted for the 2003 Accord. yes, a very different car, but it cost us less than the Hybrid would have cost.
  • mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    The price was for the HCH automatic CVT.

We are also thinking about a CIvic EX, and will take a close look at the Jetta. I have looked at the Mazda Protege and liked the 0% interest and the pretty good ranking in its class, but the car still does not have the refinement of the Civic or the Jetta.

Tell me more about the 03 Accord you bought. Was it easier to make a deal more in your favor since there are lots of Accords out there (unlike HCHs which not being delivered in great quantities)?

MEC
    you can look at some of my prior posts, but my wife and i were strongly considering a Civic Hybrid or EX initially and ended up with the Honda Accord EX in the end.

the price you have on the Hybrid is good one. if it were offered to me, i may have given the Hybrid a more serious look [which dealer, btw, do you have this offer from?].

rough prices we had on the board in considering the different cars were:

Accord EX auto : 20.8k
    Civic Hybrid CVT: 21k
    Civic EX Auto: ~17k

the problem with the Civic EX is it is harder to find one on the lots with side airbags; hence, again, there seems to be less room for negotiation.

but as you can see; the Civic EX and Accord can be had for close to invoice pricing while we were only able to find Hybrids at MSRP and above. Definitely, low volumes of Hybrids make it tough to get a great deal. maybe this will change in the future...

my wife and i both liked the Hybrid a lot: not quite as peppy as the EX, but quieter, better mileage, and a MUCH smoother transmission. [aside: i normally drive 5 spd, but this is primarily my wife's car] At the same price, i think the Hybrid is a better car than the EX.

BUT, we didn't think the Hybrid was 4k better: that was too steep a price differential for our pocketbooks [even with the small gas savings and tax write-off and feeling good about being green].

Then, after driving the EX Civic and comparing it with the Accord, we were quickly won over:

For the Accord...
    pros:
    - much quieter, refined ride.
    - cleaner car: SULEV/PZEV vehicle
    - still decent mileage [we've already gotten 35 mpg driving 75 mph on a highway trip and it isn't even broken in yet!]
    - much more amenities: nice alloy wheels, 6 disc in dash changer, overall interior is better quality, 4 wheel disc brakes, side airbags standard.
    - smoother, more effortless engine
    - FABULOUS automatic 5 spd transmission: this is very smooth and is 10x better than the one found on the Civic. although i still like driving 5 spd, i don't mind driving this automatic at all. BTW, the CVT on the Hybrid is also very nice. a big improvement from the discrete 4 spd automatic on the EX Civic.

cons:
    - lower mileage than Civic EX
    - costs about 4k more

the bigger size: toss-up: both a plus and a minus.

If we could have gotten the Hybrid for 17-18k, it probably would have been the car we had chosen. but with a 4k difference between the EX and Hybrid Civics, we ruled it out the Hybrid and were left comparing the EX Civic and EX Accord.

good luck in your decision process. like i said, 20k is a better deal than i came across; but after having the Accord for 3 weeks, i have no regrets buying it instead of either of the two Civic models. it is a *much* larger car than either Civic, though. that has some positives and negatives associated with it.
  • travelitertraveliter Member Posts: 9
    Just wanted to post an update. I was one of the first to get a Hybrid (standard) and post in this thread back in May. Since then, I have been commuting with it regularly, and taken a couple of road trips (from Northern Calif to British Columbia for one trip, and to Arizona for another, plus many down to the LA area), and we are still very very happy with our Hybrid. No problems whatsoever. :)
    What is the "no way in 18 months" verdict based on? Do you have some inside info? Thanks.

Second, what about a hybrid Camry? I was under the impression Toyota might be a little farther along.

Thanks again.
  • mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    Derek:
    Thanks for the comprehensive answer. It will help me a lot in my decision. When comparing the EX to the Hybrid in terms of cost and gas mileage, you only save about 350 bucks in gas over 5 years. Not a good payback.

Coincidentally, the price of the HCH put me in the mood to start looking at Altimas, Accords, and Camrys as well as the Civic EX.

I am glad you are so happy with your Accord. It is a fine car and was improved this year with the new design.

I received pricing of 20.3K from San Leandro Honda and about 300 bucks less from Dublin.

Michael
  • flj168flj168 Member Posts: 12
    I was quoted $19.6 for a automatic last week from a San Jose Honda dealer but I decided to wait a little longer. I want to see the other cars at the International Auto Show in San Francisco during Thanksgiving week before I decide.

If you go to the Toyota site and input you zip code for the nearest dealer, you could see how many cars they have in their inventory. Dealers will low inventories will not deal too much below MSRP.
  • benannabenanna Member Posts: 3
    Got a new one with CVT and was able to shop around to get it at $60 below INVOICE. The cost is $19,600 before Tax and tag. I have checked the dealers in south Jersey, Philadelphia and wilmington(Delaware).

Getting about 42.5 MPG on highway
    Paid only $19,500 for it on 6/29/02. Included window tinting, scratch guards, floor mats, and rear cup holder (also window etching but I don't really think that is worth anything). Getting 46mpg overall. No problems at all. Great ride and handling. Very quiet ride.
    glad to be of help. There are a lot of good cars out there, but it depends on what you put your value on : ride, size, mileage, interior, exterior, etc.

from the looks of your post and others, the prices of the Civic Hybrid may have just come down. that's a good sign. interestingly enough, while going by Honda of Stevens Creek the other night, i noted that they still do not have any Hybrid's in stock. But perhaps Capitol, Dublin, and San Leandro Honda have more frequent shipments of the Hybrids.
    You asked - I gave you an opinion, though I do think it's more informed than most. I read everything, have a few contacts in the business, and I suppose you could say that this is my "job" these days, having been retired for the past 10 years from my original career.

If you have a source that says that Honda will be offering a hybrid Accord in the next 18 months, I would be happy to be corrected. No one I know in the business thinks it will happen that soon. I got the impression you wanted this information because you needed to buy a new car in this timeframe - if so, you'll have lots of choices, but a Hybrid Accord will not likely be one of them.

By the '06 model year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hybrid Accords and CR-Vs, and possibly even the Pilot/MDX offered with such an option. But not much sooner than the end of calendar year 2005.

Nobody holds their new car plans more closely than Honda, so speculation is all most of us ever have until the last 12 months or so before a new model appears.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    On this new cars,Do you have to replaced the battery? at what interval and at what cost?
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
    In reference to the inquiries about other Honda Hybrids. My job is dealing with alternative vehicles, hybrids, alternative fuels and fuel cells. I have heard from Honda representatives that all Honda models should be available in hybrid versions in the next two or three years. I would pretty much count on it, though like others say they don't say much publicly.

About the battery. It is warranted for 8 years/ 80,000 miles. Honda says it should actually last 100,000 miles. Present cost is about $2,000, but by the time it is ready to be replaced it should be about $500 to $700.
  • simon_txsimon_tx Member Posts: 42
    I currently drive a Nissan Maxima.

I have been considering trading it in and buying a Honda Civic Hybrid.

I know it will be a big adjustment in terms of comfort and ride, but I think i can deal with it.

I live in Texas, so currently there is no incentive to purchase a hybrid vehicle. With the Federal tax incentive expiring by 2006 - I'm not sure I can wait for the Accord Hybrid to come to market and how much more expensive will the Accord hybrid be than what is available now?

How close are FCV vehicles to a reality. I ahve seen stories about the vehicles that use liquid hydrogen, but I have also heard of vehicles that will convert gasoline to hydrogen.

I don't want to buy the Hybrid technology if it is just a stop gap approach until something better comes along.

Also, does anyone think the Accord Hybrid will show a reduced cost for the hybrid technology and will the tax incentives be re-established?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Honda will start selling FCX in a month or two, in extremely limited numbers, and in South California and Tokyo metro area only. This limit is due to refueling facilities. So, FCVs are still a few years from going a little further as a mainstream option.

I think hybrids are here to stay for a while.
    Fuel Cell vehicles are the vehicles of the future. Unfortunately that will be a while off in the future. Honda, Toyota and Daimler-Chrysler claim they will sell some in 2003. The total from Honda and Toyota may reach 30 or 40 vehicles. They will be sold only to fleets in extremely controlled fleet environments, primarily in Southern California and Tokyo, and will be hydrogen fueled. There may not be any serious availability to the public until about 2010, at which time they will still be very expensive. As robertsmx says, hybrids are here to stay for some time, probably at least 20 to 30 years. It is much more than a stopgap technology, unless you are planning on keeping your Maxima for another 15 to 20 years.
  • simon_txsimon_tx Member Posts: 42
    What is anyone's best estimate for an Accord Hybrid?

Are we talking Model year 2006 or possibly sooner?

Does anyone think Honda will come out with multiple hybrids at the same time or will it be model by model?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    That's all. I'm sure at some point, Honda will expand hybrids, but no one knows if and when at this point.

Or if they do, they aren't talking!
  • thesapientthesapient Member Posts: 1
    has anyone had a chance to drive the HCH in cold weather or snowy conditions? How does it do? How does the cold affect the batteries and miliage?
    The factory recommended HCH tire pressure is 30 psi. I've read in a few places to bump that up to improve mileage. I was running at 34 but recently went to 40. I'll report on ride quality and any mpg improvement.

I'm curious what others have set ther tires to, and the results. Thanks.

Mike
  • glc1glc1 Member Posts: 1
    Drive with mine at 36 psi front & rear. Have read some postings where people drive with 40-42 psi in their tires. Also read postings where some have reported near blow outs (this may be on a HC Insight). Figured it's safer to drive & lose some mpg & live to drive again rather than die trying to get exceptional mpg (someone else would just beat it anyway).

George
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Do not exceed the tire manufactures maximum air pressure reccomendations or you could have a blowout!

Not only that, your car will dribble down the road like a basketball.

And for what? Another 1/16 of a mile per gallon?
  • kcisivkcisiv Member Posts: 23
    > Do not exceed the tire manufacturer's maximum
    > air pressure reccomendations or you could have
    > a blowout!...And for what? Another 1/16 of a
    > mile per gallon?

Heck, for another 1/16 of a mile per gallon, I'd drive with the windows open in the winter! ;-)

Not really, of course, but this car really sucks you in and makes you want to get the very most out of it!

There's an important distinction between the *car* manufacturer's recommended air pressure (30 psi) and the *tire* manufacturer's rated maximum (44 psi for the Bridgestones on my 5-speed).

The car manufacturer may have a variety of reasons for specifying a certain pressure--one is that they want their prospective buyers to feel that the ride is smooth and comfortable. (Remember the Ford debacle, where the manufacturer recommended *under*inflating tires so the customers wouldn't think their trucks rode like trucks??)

The *tire* manufacturer gives a max. pressure based on safety (and probably with a wide margin, since the primary definition of safety these days is safety from liability suits!).

So, while I wouldn't recommend exceeding the max. pressure for the tire, there's no reason not to experiment within this limit. I initially raised mine to 36 psi and found that my 5-speed handles noticeably better (less oversteer), gives a better "feel" for the road and gets better mileage (at least 2 mpg for the same route and conditions). Next trip to the gas station (still weeks away...), I'm planning to try 40 to see if it makes a difference.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I am curious if Hybrid owners/fans would purchase a Honda diesel if it were available? They are sold in Hondas in the UK. Engine is 100HP, top speed 113 mph, 64 mpg and is a low emissions diesel. http://www.honda.co.uk/new.html

I noticed Honda does not offer the hybrid Civic in UK and has gone a different direction to achieve minimum fuel usage.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Diesel is much cheaper in Europe compared to gasoline, so even if a comparable gasoline-hybrid obtained slightly better mileage than a diesel, the market would still take diesel over it.
    The diesel in Civic (CTDi) is an Isuzu unit, and Honda plans on releasing its own (first) diesel in 2003 Accord next year. Now, it would be interesting to watch if Honda decides to experiment with diesel-electric motivation.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Toyota has a diesel powered hybrid (just came out) for sale over seas that gets 100 MPG, on the PSI (tire pressure) subject I run 35 PSI all around on my plain ole 00 Civic and have from day one for the above mentioned reasons (better ride & handling, increased MPG)+ the tires seem to wear better (evenly) and I can adjust the pressure anywhere. (can always let a little air out can't always add some) The vehicle manufacturer (Honda) recommenders 31F 30R for my gravestone's (Firestone's) Rob in Houston
    I would not purchase a diesel Honda or any other light duty diesel vehicle. Diesel vehicles put out unacceptable levels of particulate matter (PM). PM contains a large number of toxic materials in high quantity. In the EPA green vehicle guide the Jetta is rated a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best). Fuel economy can be attained in other ways without such a great affect on our health. I was going to suggest a few sites for information, but they are too numerous. Just go to a search engine and type in "diesel health effects."
  • dabbott2dabbott2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to this board. I've read all 334 posts this weekend and they've been extremely useful and educational. I also just test drove the HCH and the Prius and the HCH is by far the most comfortable, smooth drive. The only advantage to the Prius seemed to be having a bit more pep in certain situations. Anyway, I'm ready to buy and am wondering if anyone has RECENTLY purchased a HCH with CVT in Santa Clara or Santa Cruz Counties. Would you share the price (and detail what's included, such as destination charges). Also, any info about dealers to avoid would be helpful. Thanks!
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Townhall is a very good resource and so is the Yahoo HCH group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civic-hybrid/ check it out if you haven't allready. Rob (hybrid less) Fruth
  • some_guysome_guy Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in buying a Civic Hybrid. There are about eight Honda dealerships within an hour's drive of my home in Austin, Texas. All of them have Civic Hybrids in stock, and none of those cars have a manual transmission. Have any of you driven the Civic Hybrid with the manual transmission, and if so, how does it compare to the model with the automatic transmission? Are the manual transmission models just as scare elsewhere in the country?
  • econguyeconguy Member Posts: 12
    #329: here's my $0.02. got six inches of snow dumped just in time for thanksgiving. seemed to notice a (minor) loss of traction on some mildly icy or snowy spots, probably due to the low-rolling resistance tires. however, this is compared to two previous cars, both of which have been VERY heavy chevys and olds. otw, just used winter-driving common-sense and the car seemed to handle fine, no major difficulties.

didn't really notice a decrease in the battery performance, they seem to get recharged just as quickly. however, my mileage has been dropping consistently ever since the onset of freezing temps. got the car in july, average mpg ~50. am now at ~40 mpg and holding steady. most likely due to fact that idle stop does not activate until car warms up, and my commute is barely five minutes. even so, it appears as though the temps are making the idle stop feature work erratically, especially when the heat is on, and the 'econ' setting is chosen.

anyone else with opinions on hch and cold weather?
  • dabbott2dabbott2 Member Posts: 2
    After calling a bunch of local (South Bay, CA) dealerships in search of a CVT Titanium Metallic [tan] color (BTW,indistinguishable from the Shoreline Mist Metallic that is apparently replacing it--I saw both colors), I ended up at Los Gatos Honda. The internet salesman there (Kevin, I think) owns an Insight and is a self-described zealot about the Honda hybrids--very knowledgable and helpful. I got the CVT for $19,900 plus tax, license. Destination charge was included and they threw in car mats and an oil change. I probably could have gotten them lower but other dealers didn't have the color, were seemingly firm about a higher price, and I am not inclined to be too aggressive for a couple of hundred bucks. The salesman, Donny, was friendly but not high pressure (an instant turnoff for me). Incidently, I'm a lesbian and my partner accompanied me; both sales guys who helped us treated us like any other couple. Overall, what I found in my search is that Honda salepeople could CARE LESS about selling the hybrids, a few even said as much--because they make so little commission on them, apparently. They are also pretty ignorant about how the hybrids work (I knew more after reading a few reviews, this list, and the Honda website). Even Los Gatos Honda tried to tell me I couldn't get the 1.9% 3 year loan with the hybrid, which was untrue. Nobody told me about the federal tax credit of $2,000--which should obviously be used as a selling point! Combined with the low stock on the dealer lots and the low level of general advertising of the hybrids (I've mostly seen ads in Sierra Club mag and the like), one could conclude that they aren't interested in selling their own vehicles. It took real persistence on my part to get phone calls returned, etc. Anyway, aside from those gripes, I'm loving the car. For the price, it's luxurious and handles the road as smoothly as butter butter on warm toast . . .
    ...the $2000 is a federal tax deduction, not a credit. Depending on your tax bracket, it could be worth as little as $300 [15% of $2000]. This is one reason that dealers don't make a big deal about it.

No argument, though, on the general cluelessness one encounters at the typical dealership.
  • chisalserasuechisalserasue Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2003 Civic Hybrid Automatic. In the last two weeks I've traveled over 300 miles and averaged only 30 MPG combined city and highway. This is the mileage the gauge says and that I computed when I filled the tank.

I had it checked out at the dealer and they said it was fine. I have received no explanation in my mind to justify such low mileage. Some comments/explanations I've heard:
    * Different gasoline is available in winter that gets lower mileage
    * Auto-stop doesn't work with heat on (this happens with temps below 41 degrees)
    * Not being a "conscious" driver and watching MPG
    * The cold weather (I'm in Chicago where it's been snowy and cold).

Now, it seems to me that 30 is unreasonably low. It should average 48, so to me maybe 40 would be reasonable given these conditions. Has anyone else had this problem? I know it will increase over time, but did anyone else start out so low??

I’m starting to wonder if I should try and swap for a LX, as my friend is getting 35 MPG after one year.

Thanks for any quick responses!
  • bobwolf1bobwolf1 Member Posts: 3
    Replying to Chisalserasue: I'm also a bit disappointed by the mileage I'm getting with my Civic Hybrid (with manual trans., apparently pretty rare!), although it's better than yours - about 38 mpg for mixed driving in California. I live on a steep hill in a very hilly town, and do mostly short trips. For that type of driving, I think I get 30 to 32. On the highway, I get at least 45. I hope your mileage improves. I'd be curious to hear other reports of gas mileage with this car.
    At least your mileage gauge is accurate. Mine is always 5% to 10% higher than the true mileage.

Bob Wolf
  • jillbmacjillbmac Member Posts: 1
    I will soon be purchasing a HCH. I was told that Honda is no longer making the blue hybrid. Does anyone know why and if there will be a substitute color? Two colors, titanium and white seem like dismal choices.

My dealer can find a blue automatic but I think I might be happier with a manual since I will be driving on icy rural northern CA highways.

Any knowledge of the color issue out there?
    Any thoughts on manual vs automatic related to snow and ice...I'm used to all wheel drive vehicles...manual subaru and automatic toyota previa in the past.
  • bikerjoebikerjoe Member Posts: 5
    Blue HCH,

It sounds like you have been fed a line by the dealer. Look at the honda web page and you will see that it does come in blue. Just confront your dealer or better yet go to another one. I'm upset by the limeted color choices in this car too. Why not just offer it in all the civic colors. Only three choices, that's lame. Anyway, I'm in the San Francisco Bay area and test drove the hybrid and the dealer totally lied to me to get me to buy the car. They didn't even have a window sticker, just a dealer applied sticker that had the price of the car $1000 over msrp. This was a way to hide added markup I guess. I'd guess y0our dealer doesn't have the color option combo you want and are only trying to get you to buy what they have.
  • chisalserasuechisalserasue Member Posts: 2
    I had a fairly long highway trip this weekend (70 miles) and got 42 MPG, so things are looking up in that regard. However, for city driving (Chicago, several trips of about 5 miles each) I have averaged less than 30 (about 26-27). It looks like I'm a little below BobWolf.
    The people getting only 26 to 30 mpg must have a problem. Either there driving habits are really different, or there is a problem with the car. That type of mileage is nowhere near the norm. Our blue CVT with 4,000 mile on it gets 44/45 mpg consistently. The one my company owns is newer and gets 41/42 mpg, but that is because nobody keeps the econo switch on. Almost everyone reports somewhere between 40 and 50 mpg. I would take your's in under warranty. Maybe a bad air mass meter or something.
  • bikerjoebikerjoe Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard about honda expanding the options on the civic hybrid. Possibly adding more colors, leather, nav system, HID lights? I was also thinking about a sequential shifting automatic but perhaps that wouldn't work with a cvt?
  • some_guysome_guy Member Posts: 2
    There's a fourth color for the 2003 Civic Hybrid. A sales guy showed me the color choices today. Sorry, I don't remember what the new color is.
  • bobwolf1bobwolf1 Member Posts: 3
    You said (in message # 362) that you get well over 40 mpg for your two CVT HCH's. What kind of driving are you doing, and where do you live?

Bob Wolf
    I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. The car is used mostly for my wife's commute of 15 miles per day. It is mixed city and freeway driving (about 40/60). We have driven it to Tyler (110 miles highway) and Austin (210 miles highway). Mileage is consistent. This is the CVT that gets 44/45 mpg.

The second CVT is the one my employer has as a pool car. It is probably driven about 30/70 city/highway. But people always leave off the econo.

Both cars always have the air conditioner on (this is Texas).
  • waynerwilliamswaynerwilliams Member Posts: 2
    I have purchased a new Blue CVT. In the process, I got quite an education about pricing which I hope can help you save money (assuming you have not already purchased one).

Our area Honda dealers are adding $1,000 - $1,500 to the MSRP and they won't budge. I cannot blame them because most are sold before they arrive at the dealership. Sometimes stories like these are nothing but urban legend, but in this case it is true. The Northern Virginia area is "commuter hell" except for those who qualify to use the High Occupancy Vehicle lanes. The state has removed the '3 0r more passengers' restriction for Hybrids. This added incentive has them selling like hotcakes.

I bought a brand new 1999 Accord V6 from a salesman at our local dealer who has been a personal friend of mine for 20 years (kids on the same teams, same schools, same church, etc.) When I went back to him to trade the Accord for a Hybrid, he let me walk with a sales price for a CVT of about $22,000 and a book-value trade in allowance.

I went to southern New Jersey for Thanksgiving with my family. I was telling them this story when my sister-in-law, who works at a Honda dealership there told me "we can't give them away".

I went to the dealership where she works on the Friday after Thanksgiving. They had three CVTs on the lot (none were blue). All had a 'no haggle' price tag of $18,999 hanging from the rear-view mirror. I had them look at my Accord, and their offer was net $1,500 better. I wanted a blue CVT. They called the next dealership up the line and traded something. They had the blue one on the lot within 90 minutes. They had it prepped and ready a little after 5pm. They really, really wanted me to take this car!

I would never have driven 160 miles to save a few bucks. I only looked in New Jersey because I was there anyway. Had I known that I would have $1,500 in my pocket, I would have driven to North Dakota!

I will not mention the name of the particular dealership. I doesn't matter. It seems that once you get 100 miles away from DC you can save significant coin.

P.S. I absolutely love this car -- even after the top-of-the-line Accord I had been driving. My commute is 20 minutes faster each way.
  • joew7joew7 Member Posts: 6
    I also live in the Chicago area. I commute 8 miles each way in stop and go traffic. Took delivery on July 29 and have 3,000 miles logged so far. Mileage took a hit when temp dropped below 41F and Auto Stop no longer worked. I keep Economy switched on all the time. Trip odometer, reset at each tankful, read 38.9 in October. Now at 32.5. Actual mileage is approximately 2 mpg below the readout on the dash. I have averaged in the high 40's an low 50's (once exceeding 60 mph) for short highway stretches just after filling the tank. Mileage will improve again in the spring.
  • greginpowaygreginpoway Member Posts: 1
    I've Owned my Civic Hybrid since July and love it, but it has one annoying feature that may explain the poor mileage that Chisalerasue & Joew7 are experiencing in the Chicago area... Turning on the defroster automatically turns on the air conditioner to de-humidify the air. I assume you are running the defroster continuously in Chicago this time of year. Over the summer I ran some informal tests on my Civic (yes I am an engineer, sorry) and found that running the air condition dropped the gas mileage from 10-15% (4-6 mpg if you are averaging 40 mpg) In Southern California I only have to run the defroster in the morning, but my average mileage has dropped 3-4 mpg in the last couple of month...
    The other major contributing factors to higher mileage are driving style and hill....
  • jcollins93012jcollins93012 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought one with a manual transmission. 134 miles on it so far, indicated mileage equals 54 mpg. That was about 20% city, 80% freeway.

If you accelerate around the city a lot, the state of charge goes down. Use less boost in town by driving more gently. For 5-speed, make sure that you do not depress the clutch until nearly stopped. The battery regeneration does not work with the clutch in.

The state of charge is important because when you hit the highway, the battery recharges during steady cruising. During the first many miles of cruising, while the battery is getting recharged, my instantaneous mpg indicator was steady around 30 or 40 mpg (I forget which). Once the battery was fully charged, my instantaneous mpg indicator went way up, reaching a lifetime average of 54 mpg by the time I finished my 134 miles.