Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

K&N Air Filters

swooshmanswooshman Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Dodge
So what's everyone's thoughts on this filtercharger?? I bought one for my truck and paid 80 bucks canadian... I like it so far but unfortuneatly I don't have a dyno to see how much increase it gives my truck...

Swoosh

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Various reports from various mags have dyno rated it at -1 to +2 HP increase averaging out to about a 1 hp increase at best.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Saw a post on this on the F-D site which I'll try to find. Essentially the post indicated the K&N shouldn't be used as it only stops the big stuff.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I have often wondered how a filter can flow more air, yet filter that air better than a regular filter. If what you are saying is true, it doesn't surprise me.
    Tried to copy and paste the post text. Doesn't appear to have worked.

The post is on the F-D site and is from GeorgeSTLECLS and is dated 4-11-02, under After Market Air Filters. George sounds pretty straight forward too.
    Thanks jcave1. I'll take a look at it.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    with my Hot Rod 79 Stang w/400 HP were excellent.

My 92 F150 4x4 could not spin the tires, drop in the K&N and presto.

My 95 Windstar, more power and at least 1/2 to 1 mpg better.

My 99 F250 V10 definately more power, didn't notice any mileage difference.

My new 02 F250 V10, towed my 27' TT without it, installed it on the way home and presto again. The truck could pull the hills much easier without downshifting. A definate HP increase no doubt about it.

I recommend them all the time. The thing about better flow is true. The absolute must is that you keep it oiled properly for the filtration. I rarely have to service them more than once a year.
    It costs 12-15 bucks for the cleaning kit and it usually does about 3 filters.

Been using them for 10 years not a single complaint.
    I've also used them for about ten years. Was all primed to change on the powerstroke but began hearing all sorts of stories about them. Even local parts dealers expressed concerns. Believe a good indicator is the top of the airbox. If the filter, any filter, is doing it's job, the airbox should be clean of dirt at the outlet going to the engine.
    assume that it will also allow more contaminants? I lost the links to the webpages but remember that test after test prove that they do. I run an airaid with a K&N, then again I'm not planing to keep my truck 10 years. From experience and if I was to do all the mods over again, I would skip everything, catback, K&N, hypertech, headers, ignition wires, plugs, and install a supercharger. If you add up all the mods, the supercharger will return more HP for the buck. I guess forced induction is better than cold air induction.
  • bmoehrlebmoehrle Member Posts: 6
    I do probably 1/2 my driving on gravel/dirt roads and in fields. I was wondering if I do install a K&N will it filter out all the dust particles? And if not should I not put one on? I want to keep my '01 for a long time!!
    Thanks,
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    I presently have drop in K&N filters in two GM vehicles. 97 Astro, and 2000 Alero. I don't have any testimonial as to increased HP, torque, and fuel mileage. However I do believe the filtering efficiency data by an independent laboratory as posted on the K&N site. The improved 99% filtering efficiency was my motivation for spending about $55.00 a pop for the K&N filters. And quite possibly I might have a slight HP increase.
    Some PSD owners use the round K&N filter with no airbox. There is a specific name for this model however I don't recall what it is. Filter element is simply exposed. Seems like these folks are missing the capability to visually check for contaminents passing through the filter. Which in my mind is the real test. Lab tests being what they are or aren't, my tendancy is to believe what I see. Would also forgo a little less efficiency for longevity.

Supercharger - now that's an idea.
  • avnutavnut Member Posts: 10
    Hi! I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3. I was thinking of a K&N. Good idea? Or not? Thanx for your help!
    I would like to chip my truck, but if I thought the chip would decrease the life of my truck, no way.
  • riffderekriffderek Member Posts: 2
    I work at a NAPA auto parts store and we sell the hell out of K&Ns. I guy even bought 2 for the same truck for when he was cleaning his dirty one he would pop in his spare. Everyone with a diesel motor loves K&N because air to fuel ratio is more critical on diesels than gas. I have one in a Pontiac GP 3.1L and i have been able to beat stock 5.0L mustangs easily. I noticed a lot more lower end torque and gained fuel mileage. I've also put dual exhaust and a chip in my car, but couldn't tell the difference with those mods as i could the K&N. The chip actually hurt my car's performance. My dad and brother both put one in their 94 and 95 Chevy 350 trucks, hell, we even put one in my mom's minivan (don't know about improved performance here). Even from a conservative consumer standpoint, if you buy 4 air filters for your vehicle in most cases you already could have had a K&N that lasts forever.
    Possibly this thread would best be served if it were broken into two discussions, since it is two different discussions. One being how effective K&N is improving overall performance. The other being how effectively they clean air.
    s76drvr "K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?" Apr 17, 2002 6:50am

riffderek

You're saying because of a K&N your 3.1 can beat a 5.0 stang? The most HP gained that was actually dyno'd from a K&N is 1HP. Think that would make a difference against a 5.0 stang? If you had a SC 3.8 I'd give you a fighting chance against a stang, with the 3.1 forget it.
    Guess I should have mentioned that a local longtime Napa store manager advised me to rethink buying K&N. He doesn't like them for the reasons we've discussed. No doubt they sell a lot. Afterall, being able to clean and reuse the filter is a big selling point.

But, to each his own I guess.

regards,

jerry
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I bought a K&N filter charger for my old 97 F-150 about the only difference I noticed was a lot more noise from the intake and the lack of $200 from my wallet. After I thought about it I think the main reason there was no gain was because if you dont change the exhaust it doesnt really matter what you do to the intake (barring forced induction) the engine will only move as much air as the stock restrictions will allow.
  • avnutavnut Member Posts: 10
    Well Obyone, not that this has anything to do with K&N but I raced a 5.0 with my '98 GTP and it was a dead heat. We even laughed about it later. Now, it's on to the mountains :>)
  • warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    I own a Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel, and from what I have read in the Turbo Diesel Register, they do not recommend the K&N filter because it lets too many particles in. For the investment in a Diesel I don't think it's worth the chance to put one in.
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    Been using K & N FILTERCHARGER for 2-3 years. It has increased MPG by 2. Did not buy it for that reason. I purchased it for increased OOMPH! There is a definate increase. I estimate 2-3 HP gain. I can tell slight diff over stock OEM filter. I have heard horror stories of the K & N letting more air plus more contaminants in. I use M1 oil also. Plus other mods. I am happy with performance and gains.

Regards to all truck loving people

Andy
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    Not dramatically, but it will increase. I put one in my '97 Silverado 4x4. Got it from a buddy who'd sold his truck, but took the K&N out before he sold it. It didn't have but 10,000 miles on it, so I figured it'd be alright. Besides, I got it for the price of a regular throw-away filter.

If I could keep my foot out of the go-pedal, I'd get a good deal better mileage. But, if I can drive like I do (80+), and still get 16-18 mpg out on the highway, I'm a happy man.

keith
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    lariat1 may be on to something here.

If you let more air into your engine with a K&N air filter, you had better have the exhaust equipment that can handle letting more air out of your engine too. If your single exhaust has the ability to handle more capacity, then you may see an increase in hp, mpg, etc. But if your single exhaust is already at capacity with a standard air filter, the K&N won't make a difference.

Maybe the best solution is if you install a K&N air filter, you should also install dual exhaust too.
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    Leave your air filter completely off. The type air filter doesn't matter. When you press the accelerator pedal to the floor, your engine will make more noise (that means more power, doesn't it?). But, remember that an engine that makes more power will use more fuel. Rationalize the fact that you are using more fuel by saying that there is more power available and it's just too much fun to use it. "Damn, if I could just keep my foot off the floor, I am sure that I would be getting better mileage along with my 20% more "free" hp". The only thing about a K&N air filter that I am impressed with is their ad campaign. Wish I could get a bunch of mullets to send me money for a piece of sponge that is only good for cleaning up a mess in the kitchen.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    carburetor (sp?) days. You could get better mpg with a 4bbl than a 2bbl (smaller primary jets) IF you kept your foot out of the 4bbl! Yeah right.....like you could do that.
  • windwalker1windwalker1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 Bonneville ssei (supercharged) with a k&n drop in filter, with the front of the air box cut open, and rubber flaps to channel more air to the box. I also installed a flowmaster two chamber muffler and did away with the duals. This car will run with the best of them, no lying, 'stang GTs only see my tail lites as we pull away. 13 sec qtrs too.

I also just bought a 2002 sierra 1500, 5.3L, 2wd. With less than 250 miles on it we have put in a k&n fipk cold air filter, and a flowmaster 2 chamber. Not knowing what the truck was capable of before, I don't have a benchmark to start from,but it is extremely fast, I still am being careful with the speed, keeping it at a slow pace, but the 500 mile limit is coming up soon. more to post about it's progress as it happens.
  • fastdoggfastdogg Member Posts: 2
    I have an 89 Honda with 216K miles on original motor. 200,000 miles with K&N filter. Change oil every 3,000 miles. It does not use oil between changes if dirt was getting through the filter you would think it would be using some oil.
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    I don't know how much difference a K&N makes but it does breath better. Anyone can tell the first time they put it on and mash the go pedal. It does help to add an exhaust in may cases I am sure. In a car that only gets between 120-160 HP every extra pony has to help. Reasoning would should indicate that colder air is denser air. There is a reason that race cars qualifying for most races like the mornings better. Colder air tends to increase engine performance. An old wives tail some might say? Think about it. Every race car you see has some kind of cold air intake system. What makes it worth it to some is the fact that it may be the last filter you have to buy because it is re-usable. 10 bucks for a cleaning kit may last you two years. If anyone doesn't believe less restrictive air intakes help, just watch you fuel millage drop as your regular filter gets dirty. The problem is, people that do things to make their car preform better often put their foot in the go juice a bit more.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    I agree with you!!!!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Like Twinscrew & Markbuck said......

I won't put one on my Silverado though after a 70,000 mile trial on my 91 Honda CRX which now has 153k on ticker.
    CRX w/stock air filter,38 mpg average speed 70 mph
    CRX w/K&N filter,38 mpg average speed 70 mph

The only gain was for K&N marketing/sales. Sure does look purty though! LOL

Ray T.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    with the newer engines, but every Chevy I owned in the past on cool damp mornings it was like having 50 more HP! Maybe I haven't noticed because we don't have that many COOL, damp mornings here in TX like we did in NY.
    cars seem to come with the factories attempt at making a cold air intake. Gone are the days of a filter on top of the TB in a big round can. Today they add a air horn and put the filter over on a fender wall to get air from outside as much as possible. Still the throttle response seems quicker than with the stock air box when you add a cone or can in place of the stock air box. I would think the only advantage to a drop in K&N would be that you can clean and reuse it.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    I am running with the throttle only part way open, and because the stock air system allows enough air flow for full throttle, I don't see the potential for much gain. A bigger intake system *might* give you more power ad wide open throttle, but I don't do that every time I start off.

I don't think I'd ever save enough to be worth the bother of washing an element rather than throwing it away when dirty.

Harry
  • 43fan43fan Member Posts: 4
    I put one in my 2001 6.0 2500 HD and getting a mile less per gal. on fuel mileage. The only good thing about the K&N is that you don't have to replace it at $75.00, but is it worth the decrease in fuel mileage?
    Strange, most people I know get a bit better mileage. But then it could be because most people change to the K&N after their old filter is dirty and a dirty filter does effect mileage. What I have also noticed is that because there is a slight difference in how the throttle response feels some people hold their shifts a bit longer or in an automatic they take off just a bit more aggressively. I know for a fact that if it is an open cold air K&N the sound at a bit higher RPMs seems worth it. If you have a drop in I haven't noticed much difference other that being able to clean it a rather than replace it.
This discussion has been closed.