Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• bmolloybmolloy Member Posts: 23
    I used to have a 1970 V6 Capri, 3.0Ltr many many years ago, .. and it went great :)

Mind you .. my current toy is a 4.2 Jaguar eType/XKE roadster .. now that is fun. It will be a shame to sell it as I've had it for years .. but I doubt it will pass the Calif emission standards without a load of expense :(

I'll just have to sell it and then look out for an Calif XKE when I've got settled in !
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    The V6 Mustangs seem (to me anyway) to feel more nimble than the V8s. Don't know why, and the hard data doesn't bear it out, but I think maybe it's psychological: given that there's less power, you feel more comfortable pushing it to the limits...whereas with a GT, there's so much power that it's easier to lose control, and so you hold back. I dunno.

But regardless, the V6 Mustangs I think will remind you of your Capri a lot... : )

I'll get reprimanded if this thread gets offtrack, but I have to say this...Jaguar XKE = Best. Car. Ever.
  • bmolloybmolloy Member Posts: 23
    I appreciate your advice about the V6 Mustang. I feel alot more confident now about getting one. I think its what I'm looking for at this stage: not too expensive, plenty of power, a convertible and pretty reliable. I'm sure I'll like the V6

My days of blasting people off at lights are long gone .. but having enough power when you want it under your right foot is what its all about for me nowadays. I'll be inclined to go for a manual box too just to get the most out of it when needed.

btw .. I agree totally with your sentiments re: XKe .. I love it.

thanks for your help
    Bill
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    you settle for a v6. You may change your mind about 190hp being enough :).
  • stang2000stang2000 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 2000 V6 convertible brand new and with over 88,000 on it now, stills runs like new, no problems yet.BTW, my V6 is loaded,leather, Mach, etc but came with 15 inch wheels standard with the 16 inch being optional for that model year at least when my stang was built.Buy it, you will like it ;-)
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I was recently on vacation in Florida and got to drive a 2000 GT Conv. for a night. The only problem is now I want a mustang even more. It was an automatic and I did not really get on it that hard but that V8 sound so sweet! I was suprised at how little wind buffeting there was with the top and windows down. I am not really considering a convertable but who knows. Hopefully this year I will be able to swing a used 03 Cobra, if not mybe an 02 Cobra or a Bullitt.
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Will be picking it up next Tuesday.......Awesome power, great looking car....The drivers seat is not that comfortable, & the ride is questionable......It's a 2nd car so won't be driven that much(just to have some fun in)...Got it for 21,000 + tax(it's an automatic)....Question for anyone....What rpms should it be idling at???, it seemed when I test drove it, she idled a little high......
    Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's open chat -- Our topic tonight is "Best New Sports Cars of 2004 - GTO, Mustang, ??"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Idle should be around 750 rpm (or so...it's hard to tell exactly) once she's warmed up.

I have noticed that at first the rpms are a tad high, but they will drop as the car warms up.

Congrats on the new Mustang. Yeah, they are a bit rough around the edges, but that's part of the charm. : )

John
  • tackytacky Member Posts: 3
    Hi,folks. I realize I came to the right place. I have some questions that only you guys can help me. I am thinking about buying a 2nd hand 2002 V6 manual stang coupe. I test-drove that car, everything is fine except for the rear struts and the RWD transmission axle are kind of rusted and a vebration can be felt on the shifting knob at all speed and all gears, not only when accelerating but also at normal cruise. The latter thing bothers me a lot. The vibration can not be seen by eyeballso, but it could easily be felt by hand, making hand-on-knob driving a unpleasant feeling. I was wondering whether it's normal to Stang. I checked with other people: those who drive civic said no, and those who drive mitsbishi said yes. I am confused, so guys, I am waiting for your answer. Thank you!
    Is it real rust, or "surface" rust? Most Ford undercarriage components tend to develop a slight surface rust coating pretty quickly (even the stainless steel stuff will). Check out your exhaust manifolds, and you'll see what I mean.

Where is the car located (what state)?

Re the vibration, is it really severe (does it rattle your fillings, or what)? Also, what sort of car are you driving right now? This could be a frame of reference issue...the Mustang tends (in general) to vibrate more than other cars. It's part of its throwback charm to guys like me...some may find it objectionable though.
    Thanks, John. Yes, all of the rust I was talking about are "surface" rust. I know it wouldn't hurt that much but enough to make one feel uncomfortable. I was wondering what will happen to the rusted parts(like strut, transaxle,exhst manifold) a few years later and if there is a way to get rid of those rusts. The car is in NJ. Why?

The vibrating shift knob seems to be a bigger problem. It's not that severe, like I said, you can't see it, but you can feel it when you put your hand on. The intensity is like home-use elec-drill or the vegetable chopper. I am driving a 1986 camry as a reference. All I want to know is that if it's NORMAL to all 02 stang. If you can tell me that your knob also vibrate while normal cruise, I will definitely live with it, coz it's a good deal. Last question: anybody knows that 02 stang has a weak point of coolant leak? Thanks.
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for the feedback.....Picked her up yesterday, the idle's fine...Besides a small rattle in the dash(will prob. leave it alone, don't want the dealer taking the dash off, they'll prob. make it worse), the car's great...It's a car you just want to get in & drive, it's alot of fun(I'm 43, feel 23 driving it).......04 Gt premium coupe, auto, metallic silver for 21,100 + tax, couldn't pass it up.....

Later
    Reason for the car location question was that if it were a Southern car, then that kind of rust on an 2002 would be suspect. But since it's a Northern car, no big deal I think. Yeah, it's annoying, but on the bright side, at least you don't see unless you really look for it. But it shouldn't be a structural problem for many many years.

The vibration you describe does sound a little on a heavy side...might want to have your mechanic check 'er out just to get a professional opinion. It will vibrate some, but not as much as a powertool. Mine doesn't.

Hadn't heard the coolant leak issue...I don't think it's a known problem, but what I don't know about Mustangs could fill a barn... : )
    ...re the rattle, I know what you mean; I've got one too, and when it's cold the rear axle squeaks over bumps.

Best of luck...sounds like she's a great car.
  • cankercanker Member Posts: 10
    Most RWD front engined car's shifters are going to vibrate atleast a little bit since the shifter is usually mounted to the transmission. On a FWD car the shifter is mounted to the floor and is only connected to the trans by rods or cables so it isn't going to vibrate as much.

The rust isn't a problem on axle unless you plan to keep the car 100+ years or so :).
    Re canker: Your explanation of RWD vibration makes a lot of sense to me, Thanks. But I have driven a 2002 automatic mustang, why the knob doesn't vibration at all if it's also mounted to the transmission?
  • cankercanker Member Posts: 10
    Usually there is a lever on the side of the trans that controlls what gear your in and the shifter is mounted to the floor and controlls that lever with rods/cables. That way they can use the same auto trans for both column shifter or a floor shifter. With most rwd manuals all the stuff is internal.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56.html
    There is a pretty good pic of a manual there with a shifter already mounted to it.

I haven't really had much luck finding a pic of a auto that shows the side of the trans were the lever is mounted. Every pic I can find shows the trans from the other side.
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=230- 6&prmenbr=361
    If you click the larger image link that might be the lever barely sticking out on the other side. Not really sure.
  • scarletstangscarletstang Member Posts: 24
    I bought a premium V6 convertible in 2002 - red with camel leather and top. I get the stares, I have plenty of power and I play my Mach 1 sound system as loud as she will go. No regrets. The only thing you will miss is being pulled over for a noisy V8. Nah, not for me.
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    I am looking at a Silver (black top) 2001 Convertible V6 with full power auto air leather etc with 49K miles. Pretty good condition. Does $9,990 seem to be a fair price for a Mustang Convertible like this? Any specific problems I should look for with this model? Hidden rust, mechanical or otherwise? Thanks.
    Seems like a pretty good deal I'd say for a loaded Mustang convertible, unless it's really beat up. Rust shouldn't be an issue with an '01.

Nothing special to look for mechanically...by now, the current Mustang is pretty much bullet-proof when it comes to the major stuff. Mustangs are usually plagued with minor annoyances, but structurally they're sound.

The drivetrain is reliable if unsophisticated (esp. with the auto) and there are no suspension issues aside from the inherent creaks and squeaks and rough edges you'd expect from a 1978 platform.

Overall, I think you'll be happy with it...there are few things better on a nice day than a Mustang convertible. : )
  • lt19c1lt19c1 Member Posts: 2
    Any word from Ford if they will again offer a Special Service Mustang?

Thanks.

Lloyd
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is looking to interview consumers who have recently bought preowned sports cars. Why did you buy "used" and which car did they choose? Why that car? Did you realize a tremendous cost savings? Did you go for certified used? Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

How about I tell you that my premium 2002 Stang's sticker was over 26K. Now do you feel like the almost 10k is decent -- yes! Make sure the top works right inside and out - no leaks, air pockets, etc. Take it for a fast ride with the top UP.
  • bobzbobz Member Posts: 5
    The problem with buying a V6 is that they are also heavily purchased by rental car companies and don't hold their value very well. The GT cars will always be more popular down the road, because power=fun. Just look at the classic Mustangs. Everyone wants a 289V8 or higher. I am currently looking at either a 40th anniversary GT convertible or Honda Accord V6 with 6speed. Except for the fun factor, the Honda blows the Mustang away in every other quality category. A difficult decision for a Mustang fan. I may just wait for the 2005 Mustang and put up with the dealers trying to jack up the prices.
    Interesting...I wouldn't imagine there'd be a lot of cross-shopping between Mustangs and Honda Accords. But there it is...

Mustangs are definitely down on quality, but high on personality...Accords on the other hand are like driving a toaster. Plus no matter how "sporty" it may be, FWD just won't cut it.

Get the Mustang! : )
  • kratas101kratas101 Member Posts: 33
    Well the accord has a very nice and luxo looking interior and great quality and the ride is smoother and more refined but it probably can't handle some things the mustang can. So it depends on what you really want, sacrifice the convertible, RWD, and V8 for a nice and powerful V6 and smoother ride. If you can live without the sporty flair and V8 power of the GT, I'd say go with the Accord as if you're going to keep it in the long run, I think it will probably serve you better. Just in case you ever do get tired of the more sporty roughness of the GT.

Then again, if you want speed, more power and gobs of torque so you can light 'em up every once in awhile, the obvious answer is the Mustang.
    So now v-6s don't hold their value because they are popular rentals? Rental folks usually sell from their establishment to the public. V8s may not hold their value because they are usually dogged to death and someone just wants to pass them on before they break down. Now then.
    Nothing wrong with V6 Mustangs at all! The "bang-for-the-buck" ratio is amazing on them.

But it IS true that they don't hold their value (in terms of price when new vs. market price when sold used) as well as the V8s do.

However, I've always been of the mind that the "value" you derive from owning a car should be the enjoyment/utility you get from it when you own it, not how much you can get when you eventually sell it.

Before buying my Mustang, I owned a Chevy Beretta. I ended up selling it for a pittance, but it didn't bother me in the least; I had gotten 8 reasonably reliable years out of it, moved cross-country twice in it, always enjoyed driving it and even picked up my first auto-x trophy in it. : )

In my book, no true automotive afficinado cares about resale value. The value is what you get out of it when you own it.

Resale value is for people who buy minivans or Tauruses...
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    Well said, John_324. That is how I look at the value of a car as well. I look at how much I enjoy the car and how well it fits my needs over the time I have it. If I enjoy it and it fits my needs while being reliable then I consider it a great value.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Hey my 2000 v/6 convert is about to enter its 5 summer in our house and the fun continues. Its got about 24,000 miles on it and will be with us for many more top down fun driving summers. Don't really care what its resale value will be because I don't buy cars as investments! Hell, I may continue to drive this till I replace it with a 2008 or 2009 Mustang convertible!
  • mcdeansmcdeans Member Posts: 2
    Well, the deed got done. I now own a brand new GT Premium Convertible in Screaming Yellow. Totally awesome! Bring on the sunshine.
    Congrats! The yellow looks really sharp in a convertible (top up or top down...the black top nicely offsets the yellow when it's up).

Auto or manual? Either way, enjoy the nice weather. The only regret I occasionally have about my Mustang is that I didn't get a convertible... : (
  • mcdeansmcdeans Member Posts: 2

Auto. It's been a few years now since I last drove a manual and I can't be be bothered with all that clutch in clutch out stuff. Must be getting old.... :)

Mike
    You might be interested to know (if you don't already) that the new GT automatics have 3.55 gears cf. the manual's 3.27s.

So the powerloss from the auto is somewhat mitigated by the higher/shorter gearing. Nice!
    Super contrats on the yellow convertible! Trust me, when you put that top down for the first time in spring there's nothing like it -- you will forget about the winter altogether and be in your own little world. You will have to get accustomed to those "hate you" stares!!! ahh haaaa
    I do agree that a car should be about you - what you like, what you want. I paid cash for my car right off the showroom floor; it wasn't a trade or a rental so I didn't not have to have any concerns about where it came from. I don't care about resale value because no Fords really hold any value anyway. If I ever decide to let her go, I'll get a more than decent price for having a cuddled, one-owner, dealer-serviced, garaged vehicle.
    Having a convertible helps resale value alot too... : )

My GT coupe will fetch a decent price years from now when some hot-rodder wants a well-maintained platform to build a drag car.

I think the only Mustangs that you really take a bath on when you want to sell are V6 coupes with automatics (i.e. rent-a-Mustangs).
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    If all goes well I may be the owner of a 2001 Bullitt, its green with only 19k on it. They are asking $17,900 but I will see if I can get them down some.
    That's a good price on the Bullitt even as it is now...they're sweet Mustangs, and that exhaust sound is nothing short of magical. Esp. since the one in the movie didn't even sound like that in real life... : )

Let us know what happens.
  • flygti1flygti1 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I want to buy new springs for my 97 GT, just wondering if anyone uses those Maxspeed springs that I saw on Ebay. Also do aftermarket springs work well with OEM shocks/struts? Any input on this subject would be helpful.
  • mikesanmikesan Member Posts: 9
    Personally, I'd get a V8 not a V6, but this weekend helped my 43 year old sister in law get a 2004 Redfire V6 with Auto and Pony Package for $14,509 plus TTL. Came out to a little over $16,200 out the door. Got $6171 off the sticker including the $3000 rebate. According to Edmunds that's about $1771 below invoice. Got that by asking for the same discount they had on a stripped Ad car. Was told the dealer had sold 4 loaded SUVs that day at a fat profit and could afford to take a loss. It has everything she needs. Polished rims, spoiler, fake hood scoop, cruise, power seat and CD with the economy of a 6 cyl. She'll probably keep it 5+ years and put less than 10K a year on it. Cheaper to drive, less likely to be stolen, easier to insure. She's pretty excited.
    General rule of thumb re lowering springs is that if they lower the Mustang 1.5 inches or less, then you can use the OEM struts/shocks and not have any problems. A drop greater than 1.5 will require new struts/shocks valved for the new lower height.

Not familar with the Maxspeed brand, probably okay. Check out stangnet's "parts review section" for more information, esp. from those that have them.

I plan to get Ford Racing "B" springs myself in a year or so...lowers the car ~1.2 and similar to stock ride.
    I picked it up last Monday and it is fun! I have only put a little over 100 miles on it so far, snow storm and wet wheather, but I am loving it!Mustangs are good therepy, just turning the key and listening to the V8 sound puts a smile on my face. I would recomend it to anyone. Oh I got them all the way down to $17,800 not much but I am sure it would have been gone if I had walked.
    Congratulations...that's a sweet daily driver classic. While I love my GT, I'll always be envious of those with the Bullitts. They're special cars in a way that very few are these days. As I've said before, that exhaust note is amazing.

Your only issue now will be deciding which turtleneck to wear with your sportcoat when driving her. That and keeping a lookout for the bad guys in the black Dodge (a Neon SR-T these days I guess...sigh). ; )
    Thanks john_324 there will always be faster cars out there but few will sound and look as good as the Mustang. I may supercharge it some day just for a little extra suprise when one of those SR-T's pulls along side.
  • chaplainchaplain Member Posts: 16
    I have found a 2000 V6 Convertible with 61000 miles for $8900. It is an automatic and I wanted a manual, but the price seems perfect. Do I have to worry about the transmission on these cars? By the way, I am 6 foot 2 and will be getting rid of my 99 Mazda Miata, will I regret it?
    Possibly. A V6 convert. with an auto is the slowest Mustang there is. While there are no big problems with that transmission, you will find it is significantly less precise than your Miata's and will rob the car of some of its limited power.

A 5 spd makes the V6 fun, but auto makes it more of a cruiser. If that's what you want, you'll probably be happy with it. But if you really enjoyed your Miata's quick handling and feel, you're going to find the Mustang lacking. The Mustang kick is power, and the V6/auto combo just doesn't deliver that optimally. But then again you may be just looking for a nice boulevard cruiser...

You should be able to fit well in the car though...Mustangs seemed designed for a 6" and up driver, with how the shifter is set out.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    As a Mustang owner, and former Miata owner, let me just say that I was in a similar situation and you will regret it!!!

The V6 Mustang is not any faster then the Miata, especially with the auto transmission, and it handles like a drunk monkey in comparison. If you are just looking for more space then fine, but understand that you are trading a unique driving experience for one that is seriously lacking.

If you must go from a Miata to a Mustang at least go for a GT. Then at least you have the loads of torque to help you deal with your loss.
  • emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    There's a Bullitt on the dealer's lot where I bought my car, along with a Maurader and a WS6 Trams Am. It's been sitting there for at least 3 months but I'm afraid to test drive it. If I do, I know I'll be taken under it's spell and buy it, and that'll hinder my efforts to get a 2005 GT.