Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Get the Bullitt and enjoy having a rare, very cool daily driver; there will be a million '05s out there very soon, but Bullitts will continue to be a sight for those who know...

Also, that way you can give Ford a year or two to work out the bugs in the new Mustang.

Whatever you do, don't buy the Firebird...don't be that guy. ; )
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    Its been sitting there for Months? Any idea what there asking for it?
    What, are you collecting them?! : )
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    My local Pontiac dealership has 4 WS6 Firechickens sitting on their lot.
  • emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    The internet price is $19900, which is typically $2000 over actual selling price. It's got 29,000 miles on it, KKB says $17990. If you want to look at it, it's at andyclarkford.com. Strangely, it's only listed as a 2001 Mustang.
  • emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    I did go to test drive the Bullitt. Unfortunetly I'm almost 6'6, 240 lbs, and couldn't quite fit. My head was touching the roof, so I didn't start the engine, didn't see the point.
         My Legacy's interior is tight, but I can manage to find a comfortable position.
  • chaplainchaplain Member Posts: 16
    It is a tough decision because the price is right and I am driving at least 60 miles a day to and from work. The Miata is just too cramped for me at 6'2". Am a wrong at thinking $8900 is a great price?
    If I had the money I would! No just curious why its been sitting so long. It seems to be priced right. There have been two for sale in the Denver area lately mine, which never made it to the used car lot and another one up north that lasted about a week. Emmanuelchoke I am only 5'10" and can see what you mean. It's a tight fit for anyone over 6'.
    I'd say get it then; it's a good price, and while its not going to be the torque-monster that a GT/5psd would be, it'll still be fun. And since it'll be a daily-driver and given your mileage, the V6 makes sense.

I've had some fun in V6 convertible rental Mustangs...a slightly greasy road is all it takes for some tail-out hijinks.

"Handling like a drunk monkey" pretty much covers it (nice phrase revdrlv)...the handling feels pretty much like an old-school musclecar's. But it's kinda fun in a retro sort of way though. Mustangs in general don't handle that well, but they are pretty toss-able and predictable.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    They may be predictable, but that doesn't really make them much more controllable.

I know when my Mustang is going to snap out on me, (when it is wet, you can be sure that any sudden movement will do it) but I can hardly do anything about it once it does. Just have to let off and wait till the rear end gets back in line. Fun in a hooliganism sort of way yes. But not fun in the oh-so-adjustable way that the Miata is.

Although being 6'3" myself I can understand that 60 miles a day can be tiring in a Miata.

But if I coulda kept the Miata, I think I would have chosen to suffer a little. Of course I'm the guy would like to try driving an Elise as my daily... if I could afford one that is.
  • chaplainchaplain Member Posts: 16
    I will have to sell the Miata before I can purchase the Mustang, so I will just have to wait and see if the car is still around when the Miata sells. It probably won't be.

If I don't like the Mustang, that is okay, I have bought 8 cars in the last 2 years. I am sure I won't have it long.

Thanks for all of the info and help in seeing my way through this decision.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    Edmunds does not list any standard rebates or marketing incentives for the 2004 Mustang V6/5-speed Coupe. However today's newspaper ad was showing prices of V6/5-speed Base Coupes of well under $14K, one dealer had $13,499, another $12,995, and then another at $12,899, and upon arriving at that particular dealer (one of the few open Sunday in this area) he still had three left at closing, one in each shade of red and one in gray. I have financing issues so I can't buy a new car right now, but it's interesting to see the ad in the paper listing a rebate but not here?

I posted here because I didn't see a Prices Paid/Buying Experience topic for Mustangs...

Anyone else seeing new 2004 sub-$13K Mustangs around the country?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you click on the "help" link at the very bottom of this page, you can ask Edmunds management about the rebate question and they will answer you by e-mail promptly!

Shiftright the Host
  • garya52garya52 Member Posts: 2
    brand new 2004 v6 5 speed mustang coupe, has a severe vibration sound in 5th gear and at 70 mph and above. vibration sound goes away if clutch is depressed. no vibration sound in 4th gear at 70 to 80 mph, just in 5th gear.vibration sounds like a subwoofer speaker. bringing it back to dealer monday am. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I had some drive-shaft vibration in my 2001 V6 shortly after getting it. Doesn't sound like your problem though.

In other news: after 40,000 miles on the crappy stock Goodyears, I finally replaced the tires on my Mustang with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s and omg, the difference is amazing. I am actually enjoying taking my car down canyon roads now. I have yet to take to the freeway to see how they are there, but around town and through the windy back roads they are stickier and much more comfortible. On the Goodyears I felt like I was leaning heavily through all the corners and had to sort of wiggle the car through them. On these Firehawks I feel like my car is leaning far less and they are much more responsive and precise.

Best thing I have ever done to this car. They were a great price to boot. Next thing to add is heavier swaybars.
  • ponyrider2ponyrider2 Member Posts: 29
    Hi
    I need to purchase tires for my 95 GT Covertible. I want a quieter tire but one that is also very good in wet weather.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or comments for tires you are running on your Mustangs?
    Thanks! Ponyrider2
  • stang2000stang2000 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,I have been given different opinions regarding replacing the hoses on my V6 Stang from should have been done at around 60,000.Another dealer when the car had 85K on it said they still feel & look good and not to do anything at this time. My 2000 Stang has over 93,000 on it now on the original's and don't want to break down with something like a hose failure that can be prevented.Thanks for any suggestions.
    What size wheels are you running? Forgive my lack of knowledge, but do the 1995 GTs run all-season tires, or low-profile summer tires?
    Re the hoses question, there's no specific interval for the 3.8 for hose replacement. It's done on an "as needed" basis (your service manual will speak of inspecting them at various intervals).

If they look and feel fine, then you're probably okay. If you see any degradation in the material, or spilts, or bulges anywhere, then by all means replace 'em. Otherwise, just keep an eye on them...
  • NSORICNSORIC Member Posts: 33
    BFGoodrich just came out with a Traction T/A tire which is a great all-around performer.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    I'm a current 2000 Maxima owner going thru my midlife crisis... so i'm looking into a 1yr old Mustang Convertible... my biggest concern is traction on these vehicles in the winter.. since I live in CT/Western Mass and because of the snow, i'm just wondering if a V6 mustang with the traction control, with winter tires will be safe to drive in the snow and ice of the Northeast.. this will also be my only vehicle.. thanks for any input...
    I bet given your age/expereince combined with a safety-option loaded V6 with proper tires, you'll be fine. I've driven a regular V6 Mustang with stock all-seasons in Chicago winters, and no problems. Good judgement makes the biggest difference I've found in successfully driving performance cars in bad weather.

I say go for it! And even if it's tough in the bad weather, it'll all be worth it that first time in spring you drop the top.

BTW you live in CT/MA, but how did you get the Christmas Is. flag by your screen name? That's cool...
    Kyleknicks I went through 6 Mass. winters with my 87 LX 5.0 with stock tires and while it was tricky at times I never got stuck or in an accident. The key was having a manual transmission. I had to use 2nd and 3rd gears to get started sometimes. This was a LX notch back, pretty light and traction control was a dream back then. With the combination of the heavier convertable body, smaller tires, traction control and a V6 you should have no problem.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Hoses deteriorate from the inside out, so visual inspection of the outside of the hoses tells very little.
  • hellerwhellerw Member Posts: 1
    One of the things I like about renting cars for my travel is the chance to see what they are like to live with for a while. I recently rented a smart looking V-6 Mustang softtop and found it to be a complete lump....unresponsive engine, lots of noise and no go if pushed to pass, a lot of wind noise around the A pillar, little steering feel. I was hugely disappointed. All looks and no performance in this model, though with a V-8 it is probably better in the "go" department . The other inadequacies would still be there however. Glad I rented, now I'm not tempted to buy.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Your loss!
  • flygti1flygti1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 97 GT 5-speed with a motor thats getting tired. I also have a 4.6 engine out of a 98 GT 5-speed. I have heard that the 98 engine isn't an exact drop in. Does anyone know if this will fit, or will I have to change some parts around.
    Check out stangnet (I can't give the exact address due to Edmunds' policies, but you get the idea). I guarantee there are how-to threads on just that topic, as well as endless debate on it.

Enjoy.
    hi people... im thinking about looking into a 99 mustang v6 convertible with about 67k miles on it.. auto.. is there any specific problems with this yr's model or anything i should be aware of? thanks in advance.
    i just put a deposit on this car tonite!!! i can't wait to take it home...
    No worries...you shouldn't have any problems with it. The 3.8 V6 is pretty much bulletproof these days, and as you know '99 was the year when it got the power bump-up to the current 190 hp.

Color? : )
    its laser red (dark red) with a black top.. and beigh interier.... now i gotta figure out how to get a certified check by the weekend, especially since i do the online banking thing... and there's no branches to go to.. and then get insurance and register the car... argh!!
    That's a nice red, esp. with the black top. Which wheels, the 15s or the 16s?

Hope all the "paperwork" works out so you can enjoy her this weekend. My one regret with my Mustang sometimes is that I didn't get a convertible...
    ya... i dont think i could get the paperwork done by today... i tried, but its not gonna work out so maybe i'll pick it up monday on my 30th bday..

i currently drive a 2000 maxima, so i probably wouldnt have looked at the mustang if it weren't for the convertible...

wheels, u know, i dont really know..its the alloys, but it could be the 15's.. im thinking about getting a new set of tires anyways so maybe i'll get a set of 17's... who knows... im just trying to get the car in my hands right now..
    Well, enjoy and happy birthday. You'll find it's a different experience from a Maxima. Not better or worse, just different. : )But you'll know it first time you kick the tail out in a turn...

I think your 'vert may well have the polished 16" wheels. They're very sharp, and I like 'em better than my standard 17" GT wheels actually.
    i actually think i have the 15 alloys... so i'll be looking for new rims VERY soon.. if anything, i like the 16's ...so i'll be looking for those
    does anyone know whats the correct pressure on the 15in tires should be on my mustang convertible? thanks
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    I think you'll find the placard, which is on the door post, will say 35 psi.

Hope this helps.
    Wow, 35 psi on the all-seasons... My Goodyear Gatorback low-profile tires are 30 (though I usually run 32).

I saw a Mustang with the 15" wheels on the road this weekend, and I think the wheels look pretty good with the right tires. The one I saw didn't have the stock BFGs or whatever, but something more aggressive looking but still all-season. Nice.
  • honda97honda97 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I currently own a 95 Mustang that is very beautiful! We have had her for three years now and have invested a ton of money while trying to do so. So far the head gasket blew and we had to get a whole new engiine put in and then there were just some minor things here and there. However now, the car will start but wont shift or allow us to use the turn signals. We found out it was just a fuse and replaced it with avoiding going to a mechanic. But it continued doing this and we took to several mechanics who all claimed they fixed it, which at this moment its just sitting in the drive way becasue its not fixed. Please if someone knows whats going on let me know, at this point anything will help, we cant afford a new car!
  • v8power86v8power86 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading these boards for a while now and never had a real reason to join until now. I know how much you guys hate kids having powerful muscle cars but i think i pretty much hold my own. Anyway I own a 2003 mustang gt..leather, mach 500 stereo, upgraded rims and all that other jazz. The car only has 2,225 miles on it. we payed a little over 21,000 for it. i think thats a great deal for a brand new mustang gt. Getting to the point I was driving home from the shore and got broad sided by a intoxicated driver. The damage is pretty severe and my dad said we'll get it fixed and sell it. So i'm looking at new cars but i'm really stuck, i love my mustang and its power but there are a few other cars out there i like. I have narrowed it down to either Acura tsx, Mazda rx8, 05 subaru legacy gt, or i would wait out for the 05 mustang gt. i was hoping i could maybe get some ideas from you guys. Also i was wondering if anyone has a new Mach 1 mustang and how much you pay in insurance, when i got my gt my dad said insurance would be too high for the mach 1 but i think he just didnt want me to have the extra 50 horsepower. thanks, tony.
    V8power86, I recently purchased an 01 Bullitt and a friend of mine just purchased a 99 Cobra Convert. There is not much difference in insurance even if you move up to the 03 Cobra's. We are both well beyond our teen years so that will make some difference. He actually went through GMAC for his insurance and said is was about half of what he was currently paying. I guess all you need is a current loan or credit card through them and there is a substantial discount. I know I am going to check is out.

Now about replacing your car. If it were me I would find a nice used low mileage Mustang GT, save thousands, drive it for a few years until they work the bugs out of the new Mustangs and then buy what you want.
    I hope you're okay after the accident, and I hope the drunk driver got what he deserved.

What sort of car are you looking for to replace the Mustang? Performance coupe, sport sedan, mix of the two?

Given your envious financial situation, I'd say for sport sedan, how about (in addition to what you've already mentioned) a WRX or a Sentra SE-R? For coupes, maybe a base-level 350z coupe?

Dan1's got the right idea about waiting a year or two before getting a new Mustang...just to make sure any quality control issues get sorted out.
    Hmmmm. First of all, a V6 or a V8 Mustang? I'm betting V6, as you said the head gasket blew earlier, which was a common Ford 3.8 V6 problem back them. Second, does the car have an automatic transmission? I assume when you say it won't shift, you mean that it won't shift out of park, right?

This sounds like a wiring/electrical problem to me, maybe one that's causing the same fuse to burn out. What did the mechanics who "fixed" it say was wrong with it?
  • albitalou92lxalbitalou92lx Member Posts: 1
    How r u guys???? I saw a 460 7.5 engine on a lot and before I buy it I ask you if I can drop it in my 92 LX , I know I have to modified a lot of things but my main concern is if I can do it since the engine is in a 78-79 lincoln big huge 4 door car looks like Cosa Nostra-drive around car,it has a 4 barrel carb, it hasn't been driven
    in years, my idea is rebuilt it and start from there. any ideas or experiences are welcome.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    It weighs too much.
    My best friend put a balanced and blue printed 460 big block that is supposed to be putting out around 500 pony's in an 81 4cyl mustang. There is mybe an inch on either side between the headers and the strut towers. Of coarse he changed out the entire drive train (B&M racing transmission)rear end with disk brakes etc... and suspension. It has been a while now since he built it so I do not remember all the details. I do remember it would put you back in the seat like nothing I have ever been in!

I am going back home in August and hopefully we will get a chance to take if for a ride!
  • dcwong1dcwong1 Member Posts: 54
    I finally got a chance to drive a '04 Mustang - V6 auto while traveling on business. What a big disappointment. This Hertz car had only 9K miles but I can see the poor fit and finish of the interior. Seats weren't very confortable, the HVAC and radio controls required a long reach while driving, curise control (even though it is straight forward) is a joke when compared to other cars, and the standard radio (I think) with the Mach speakers were average at best. The worse part was the engine and transmission. The car seemed sluggish and the transmission was hesitant on wanting to downshift even though the car had only 9K miles. Is this typical of V6 Mustangs?
    Yep, pretty much. Mustang build/finish is pretty weak at best, and the driving position tends to be odd. Us Mustang fans eventually learn to live with this, as well non-retracting seat belts, squeaky chassis, and a host of other irritants.

Re power, you drove the slowest Mustang available (V6 with an auto) and that auto trans. is particularly slushy and power-sapping I've found.

A 5 spd really wakes a V6 'Stang up, and makes for some fun driving. A V6 auto and a V6 5 spd really feel (to me anyway) like two different cars.

The Mustang is a dinosaur in sooo many ways...both good and bad. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but to those who like it, it's one of a kind.
  • dcwong1dcwong1 Member Posts: 54
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same one about the V6. The '04 Mustang is a pretty good looking car. My car was yellow and it was definitely a head turner.

I forgot to mention - why did Ford place the electric power seat switches in the front of the seat and not the side where it should go?