Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    dcls, try www.stangparts.com. They might have what you need...
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    john324,

u mentioned to clean the convertible top with a good carwash solution... do you use any conditioner on your top? to protect it from the sun?

my top started to peel a little.. i dont know if i could bring it somewhere and get it fixed... =(
    dcls, try www.stangparts.com. They might have what you need...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd sell it in a red hot minute for $45,000. Take the money and RUN. You'll never see another offer like that, if it's serious. That's way over market value for the car IMO, regardless of mileage. It's probably worth about $15K-20K tops if it's in fantastic shape (but don't tell the buyer that--LOL!) You must remember that they made a huge number of these cars in 1965 and that the coupe was the cheapest and most common of the models.

"California car" really doesn't make any sense if it's a RHD automobile.
  • hmarshhmarsh Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the advice. this reference to a 'california car' is a bit of a mystery but is hardly a influencing factor when seeking insurance.
    we have taken your advice and will not convert the brakes to disc or convert it to RHD. the car was purchased new overseas and shipped into australia at the end of one of dad's tour's. i guess he saw the investment value in it as well. the plasic used to cover the car in transit was neatly folded up in the boot and still displays the shipping notes on it. he never could throw anything away! the original purchase docket was stapled to a mustang brochure we found in his box of special papers in his office.
    it seems that dad must have opted for the pony interior.
    i think the US$45K price offered reflects the fact that the car comes with it's original rubber and rims. dad put the original tyres and rims in the corner of the shed and used falcon rims and tyres for the 6500 miles it travelled. it also comes with it's original number plates (no longer available). the other attraction might be that it was owned by an aussie music legend.
    the price of mustangs in australia is rediculous. to get a fastback in concours condition would be about US$35K and in some aussie states they are dificult to register for road use unless converted to RHD and that costs another US$5K.
    once again thanks for the advice. hope to be in the states again next year for your MTV awards.
    cheers Noddy. I like that name I might keep it!
    Yes but a fastback is a more valuable car, at least 50%, perhaps 100% with the right equipment. So that puts a concours '65 coupe right where I said, more or less.

I realize you have great sentimental attachment to the car and may not wish to sell, but if that $45K USD offer is real, you are never going to see it again until maybe the year 2050....so think it over! You may be walking away from $30,000 "extra" dollars.

Oh, I see. The car is LHD, so "california car" is probably the usual remark made about cars that came from California, where the climate is generallyl quite benign. It implies that the car isn't rusted. In terms of value, I don't think it means anything but it may re-assure a buyer who worries about cars coming from the US "rust belt".
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I know that here in the US, a concours '65 coupe would be a $15k - $20k car, but since these cars are (relatively) rare in Australia, I wonder just what the market is there? Maybe not $45k, but I would imagine that it should certainly be higher than here.
    There really isn't an "Australian" market or a "European" market anymore, mostly due to the Internet, incredibly efficient shipping, etc.

Besides, it's just a Mustang coupe, it's not a rare car, and it's LHD in a RHD country. What's interesting about it is the low miles and originality, which is good, but not 5 or 6 times market price.

Shoot, you could buy a decent Shelby 350GT for $45K!

I'm telling ya', if he wants to sell he should grab that $45K so fast it would be a blur in the buyer's hands.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Customer Retention Rep???
    If he wishes to retain his membership on the boards, no soliciting please!

(posts deleted as necessary).

thank you

Shifty the Host
  • mlmmlm Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a 05 GT on order, it was ordered back on June 4th. The dealership reports that the status shows the car build and released to convoy for over two weeks. I have heard two stories; one is that there was a problem with the V-8s and they had to hold them up; the other is that some dealers are receiving the GT V-8s. So which is correct?
    There seem to be a few GTs out there at least....stangnet is abuzz with stories of them, inc. one by a dealership tech about 2 guys arguing who was going to buy the only one the dealership had in stock... :-)
  • tacoboytacoboy Member Posts: 25
    Anybody driven a new 05 V6 yet? I'm a Honda convert waiting for something American to convince me to trade in my Si. My biggest fear is that the new Mustang , with all it's great looks , will still handle "big".
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It IS a big car, compared to some of the imports at least. But all the reports seem to say it's very light on it's feet and handles great for a car of it's size.

The only way for you to really know if it meets your requirements is to drive one.
    I doubt it'll handle as well as or be as nimble as your Si...no comparably priced car of the Mustang's size really could. But torque is another story entirely; might be worth the tradeoff... ;-)

But the new chassis is reportedly quite good, and light years ahead of the '78 Ford Fairmont chassis that's been used up until now. I'd expect the V6 Mustangs to feel more agile than the GTs though, due to the weight difference (that's how they feel now). Still a live rear axle, so that's not really going to help handling any...
    They put a lot of effort into that solid rear axle - it's more like an aftermarket design than a regular OEM design. Testers have actually praised it rather than complained about it. Don't be surprised if it handles as good as some other IRS setups.
    Well, that would be cool...people always complain about it. I personally enjoy the retro flavor it brings the car, but I've defintely felt the performance limitations of the current set-up on the track.

Be a pretty neat trick if Ford were able to save money, provide performance durability *and* decent handling, all at the same time.
    The only ones I've heard complain about it are the ones who haven't driven it yet. These are the same people who complain about the Corvette's pushrod engine or front strut suspensions. Look at the handling statistics and test drive impressions and that will tell you everything you need to know.
  • Gold101Gold101 Member Posts: 22
    Hello:

Today I took the new 2005 V6 Mustang Coupe for a test drive.... I loved it!

The handling was quite good(not quite as nimble as my RSX, but YEARS ahead of the prior model), and the steering offered up excellent feel and precision. The ride was also surprisngly compliant, and I was very surprised at the lack of wind noise/road noise... Overall, a refined package.

The engine sounded a bit coarse when pushed, but the torque and power was very good... Obviously, the GT is faster, but I feel that one could get the V6 and be very pleased with the power.

The interior was really nice as well, though I didn't particularly care for the plastic material used for the HVAC/Radio controls. The seats had very good lateral support, and I liked the driving position very much.

Overall, an excellent car at an excellent price.
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    Last week I noticed a dealer nearby had a base V6 2005 in the showroom, so, out of curiosity, I stopped in for a look. At 6'4" tall, I was very surprised at how much head and legroom there was, and how comfortable I felt behind the wheel. I was hooked!

An online inventory search found a car in the color combination I like best (Sonic Blue with Dark Charcoal leather) with all the options...except for the factory-installed alarm system...at another dealer where I previously purchased 2 Tauruses. I took a ride over this morning and found out the car hasn't yet arrived, but is expected any day. In fact, it'll be their first and only 2005 Mustang to come in this month. Sight unseen, I put down a deposit on it! The deal is pending my test drive of the car.

As a loyal customer, the best they could do for me on price is sticker price due to the current supply and demand situation. I asked if they would install an alarm system at no charge. The answer to that was NO, but said they'd take $100 off their regular price and install the alarm for $249.

I realize I'll be paying for the prestige of being one of the first guys in town driving a 2005 Mustang. Does that sound reasonable?
    If you really want it and you can't wait - sure, it's a reasonable price on something that's in high demand and short supply. If you can wait a few months you could save a few hundred or even a thousand or so. Just depends on how bad you want it.
  • rkelonrkelon Member Posts: 17
    We picked up the 05 V6 premium from Garnet Ford in Chadds Ford, PA. Received 1k off msrp. Very nice people easy deal, no surprises/fees. We drove from DC to get the car and will return. We are in our 40s and think Ford hit the target with this car. We can buy what we want and I love the look of the this car, it makes a good foundation for a retro Shelby, Mach 1, CS, etc. However, Ford, if you read this, you need to do a little better on QA, the metal has some flaws on some cars. In any event, the V6 is a pleasant surprise. Good power, but need more performance related options for V6 like dual exhaust, rear sway bar, turbo...blah, blah, blah. Additionally, need a different rear spoiler like the Mach 1, but updated like the one on the BMW M3. Great job, whoever in the big Mgt chain that approved this for production. Chevy needs a retro Camaro (69), Dodge needs the Challenger (70) (not the thing I saw that is now going through the approval cycle, it will fail). If the Camaro and Challenger are approved... take a cue from Ford and not Pontiac...stay close to the originals. Let's reignite the muscle car wars...please?
    It handles fine, drives great, but maybe a little too much road noise; I expected the V6 to be more tailored for the luxury group. However, this is not just a car to get your body and stuff from point A to point B. This is a car your soul helped you buy. It makes you feel that things are not so bad, and that maybe you will have a happy life, find the right soul mate. Get some 70s music like the Rolling Stones or Tommy James and the Shondells and take a drive in your new Mustang...you will find out what I am talking about. This is a chance for the 40 something crowd to buy what they could not, because you were too young...you other age groups can buy the Mustang too if you must. We love it, reignite the muscle car wars!
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I had a chance to inspect the new 2005 Ford Mustang today and I must say I was disappointed. For anyone that just bought one or is thinking of buying one, consider this. The front headrest are "pointed" in the front and therefore push against the back of the head. Very uncomfortable on a long ride. The back seat legroom is still too small for an adult to ride in the back comfortably. The trunk space is small. And finally, the glass door window moulding configeration is built on the cheap. By that I mean, when the rubber moulding ages and cracks, you are going to get water and wind leaks. This is possible in as little as five years of age.
    This car makes an ugly person look good and an attractive person irresistible. Get a stick, you will need it to fight off all the attention you will get driving this car. I don't know how many near miss accidents we almost caused or neck injuries will result from us driving this car around town.

Ford: if you are trying to cut weight, why use particle board for the spare tire cover? Plastic would have been lighter and probably would not mar the rear tail light covers like the particle board is doing to our baby...it may also be cheaper.
    Re the particle board spare tire cover, my '02 Mustang has the same thing...some things never change with Ford... ;-(

I saw my first '05 this weekend...a red GT. Definitely looks even better in person & on the road than in pictures. Front end a homerun, but the profile doesn't really do it for me. Of course, I'm sure I'll grow to love it in time.

Did strike me though how BIG the car is...we're clearly seeing Mustang size-creep like back in the early 1970s.

And classic rock sounds extra good in just about any Mustang...though if you've got a Mustang II, disco is probably the better choice, esp. if yours is a Cobra II with the firesnake on the hood... ;-)
  • htwhtw Member Posts: 1
    Ford has been totally caught by surprise demand. The upgraded interior package, along with side airbags are no longer an option for V6 Mustangs - demand was too high - 80% of the initial orders had these options and Ford expected a more 50- 50 mix. Side-airbags, ABS, and traction control should have been standard on all models.

Having said that, I purchased a V6 premium with the upgraded 500 radio system. I like the fit and finish thus far. The local dealerships are marking up the GT by $3000 but not the V6s.

This might be a hit.
    ...how long before the return of the Boss 302, given the fact that Ford Motorsports has already developed a 5.0l Cammer version of the 4.6l.
    Don't hold your breath for the 5.0L Cammer - it's way too expensive. Cheaper to S/C the 4.6L and probably get more output in the process. Nice thought, though.
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I sat in a 05 mustang recently and I found the headrests pushing against the back of my head. I found it very uncomfortable. Anybody else notice this quirk? It is not adjustable.
  • mustbuyastangmustbuyastang Member Posts: 1
    My first car was a yellow 77 Mustang II with a 302, 4 speed, I believe it had a trim package called the "Stallion". The 77 was a bit of a dog but I still loved it as any 17 year old would. When I heard a couple of years back that Ford was doing a complete make-over of the Mustang I began following the progress as best I could. Well, I saw my first 05 in person tonight and was blown away! I expected it to look better in person than on the net or in the mags as all cars do but this thing was awesome! I can't wait to drive one. I've been thinking about, and have now definitely decided to say "screw the used Boxter" I've been saving for. I do have a question for you car and Mustang buffs. I've always heard that you should never buy a new model when it first comes out, the theory being that it takes a while for the manufacturers to work out the problems. Do I start shopping in the very near future or wait 6 months or a year? I live in the snowy northeast and wouldn't be driving the car really until spring anyhow. Also feel free to give me your thoughts on automatic vs. stick.
    It's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I bought a Lincoln LS which was also totally brand new just a few months after it came out. Most of the problems will be defective parts or assembly errors that can be easily corrected. You may have a few extra trips to the dealer but probably no long term problems. So expect a little more inconvenience but don't expect to get a lemon or have major problems.

In short - if you really want it go for it. If you're not sure wait a year. Either way you're ok.

As for the stick vs. auto - if you don't do a lot of stop and go driving - stuck in traffic - the stick is a lot of fun. If you think you want an automatic, you might want to wait a year and see if they add a SST option which allows you to shift the automatic yourself like the Tbird and Lincoln LS. It's a nice feature but it's not a substitute for a real manual.
    akirby's right..."new car-itis" isn't nearly as common as it once was. But I'd wait a little anyway to let the prices come down a little (maybe like 3 months or so). The '05s seem to be going at MSRP+ right now.

I'd say go for the stick...makes it easy to do all the fun pony car stuff like burnouts and chirping tires on upshifts. But if you'll be in a lot of traffic a lot of the time, I dunno...if the clutch is anything like the current one, it'll be a pain.
    Considering how popular McQueen is/was and his strong connection with the Bullit mustang I think it's a great idea.
    Ad supposed to come out in theaters (you know, before movies) on Oct. 29th, and on tv shortly thereafter.

I for one will be anxiously awaiting it. Supposed to be very well done, and the McQueen/Bullitt ethos was part of the reason I bought my '02.

Also, in 2003 there was a short-run Mustang ad that featured Bill Ford talking about how he loves mustangs with clips from Bullitt playing in the background. Good stuff!
  • williams2williams2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have actual highway mpg results on a manual 2005 gt yet? they said it would be more efficient yet are advertising 23-25 mpg on the hgwy??the new 400hp gto is getting 26-28.jw
    Fuel Mileage is not necessarily related to HP. Weight, aerodynamics, engine design and gearing are all factors. GM gets great highway fuel economy out if it's high HP OHV V8s like the GTO and Corvette. However, 25 is pretty good compared to everything else.
    We have no problem with them, we like them better than the older model, which made our head go too far back to rest on the headrest.
  • williams2williams2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply akirby; while I understand the dynamics of mpg and would be very content with 25mpg on the highway, I would like to know if anyone has any actual mpg numbers they have experienced driving the new v8/manual stang.jw
    If I put my head on the headrests on my '02, I'm looking at my ceiling. Anything's an improvement over that. :-)
  • chevy4lifechevy4life Member Posts: 20
    I agree with the earlier post. This car is even more impressive-looking in person than in the mags.

Dealer here in Leesburg VA has 3 on the lot, though they've never been one to deal, so I won't be buying from them.

They have a GT with a sticker of $29k. It had the $900+ auto tran option (I can't believe someone would want an auto in a GT!) and that 1000 watt stereo (no thanks, I'd rather hear the engine).

Thought $625 was high for a freight charge - geez it's only coming from 4 or 5 states away!

I've been a Chevy person my whole life, so you know Ford has a hit when it grabs the attention of the other side.

What's the latest on that valve problem on the V-8? Was that a real problem, or were they stalling to get rid of the 04's?
    Think the valve problem was real, but fairly quickly solved.

Ford was actually worried at some point that it was going to run out of '04s and not be able to meet demand before the '05 hit the lots. I don't think that happened, but hard to tell. I could see stocks of GTs running low, but every dealer around me seems to have V6 Mustangs available still...
    Freight charges are averaged and everyone pays the same regardless of location.
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 1
    This isn't really a reply to john_324, but the directions on how to make a discssion entry weren't accessible. In any case, I went to University Ford in Durham, NC on October 23rd to see an '05 Mustang (30.5 years ago I went to see the first Mustangs and had to wait in a huge crowd for 45 minutes just to get into the dealership showroom to see the only Mustang they had: a white hardtop with the 170 cid straight six, and it won the hearts of nearly everyone there).
    University Ford had just received their first two Mustangs, a silver 6-cylinder (sold and gone already) and a red GT. Immediately, I was pleased that the front bumper is much less noticeable in real life than it has been in the photos. The next item that struck me is that the door fit was the most perfect fit of any car I've ever seen or owned (I've owned American, Japanese, and European): less than 2 mm around the entire circumference of the door. Other body panels were just as tight-fitting as the doors. The doors had a great, solid-feeling
    slam--something I always test! Great window tint, too. The charcoal and red interior looked really good, and the seats enveloped me well. I have just accumulated $25000 to enhance the off-road capabilities of my '66 Ford Bronco, so I didn't dare ask for a test drive--leadeth me not into temptation, etc.--you know the drill...For those with the bucks, this car will be worth plenty thirty years from now if properly maintained, and it'll be a fun thirty years in the meantime! I look forward to seeing what Carroll Shelby and SVT do to this one--plus Steve Saleen, Kenny Brown, Jack Roush, Sean Hyland, etc. I've heard that moving the front wheels forward in the chassis makes even the 6.8 V-10 an easy fit, which would be a nice option with the right cylinder heads and sleeves. I think this Mustang has been done better than right! Thanks for the chance to speak in the forum!
    Even if it wasn't in reply to me, I hope you'll entertain a question anyway... ;-)

How was the wheelwell gap between the tire and the fender? From what I've seen, it's "normal".

I ask this for as anyone with a current (SN95) Mustang knows, the SN95 has a quite odd-once-you-notice-it "off-road" look to it due to a pretty big gap (like 5-6 inches)...you need lowering springs just to make the car sit at a reasonable height for a musclecar. It's unknown why it was this way (some speculate it was related to assembly-line clearances), but it looks like the '05 had dealt with the problem...that would be very cool.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I have been seeing the new Mustangs being road tested on my way to work for many months now. The last completely uncovered one was a warm grey GT with red leather interior. It sits much lower than my mustang, and has a wide, squat stance. Reminds me of the fastback Mustangs of the 60s. It's got that "it" thing, just looks so right in person.
    Well, I dropped in on the local Ford dealer closest to my route home last night; they had a new black GT automatic on the showroom floor which I was able to give a once over.

First, pictures do NOT do this car justice. From my impressions of the photos, I thought the car looked rather 'plain'. Boy, was I wrong. In person, the car has a great amount of prescence. Very clean design but with a lot of character.

Second, to my eye the car looked much more substantial (bigger) than the old model. I was not a bit surprised by the commment from the salesdude that the wheelbase had been stretched 6".

Third, I expected more interior room (particularly in the rear) given the hype regarding the stretched wheelbase. I'd never attempted to enter the rear-seats of the 94-04 cars, but if the '05 represents some sort of an improvement, then the old cars must have been essentially 2-seaters unless the rear passengers were double amputees. Maybe it was an illusion; I'll be going to a different dealership in a few days when they get a red car in so I'll actually try to sit in the back.

Fourth, I was not able to check out the trunk. Was told the only way to access the trunk was with a key or key fob? No interior trunk release? Huh? My '93 had a trunk release button in the glove box. Do the outgoing models have an interior trunk release?

Final impressions: I love the look of the car, and the view from the driver's seat. Ford got the look of the first generation right. In a car of this nature, everything else is secondary. This thing would look GREAT in the driveway next to my '66 GT fastback.

Unfortunately, as a father with 2 kids, I've GOT to able to (at least OCCASIONALLY) haul more than just me and the Mrs. I had really, really hoped for more rear-seat room. I've already got 1 toy; I can't afford a second. Where did all the room from the 6" wheelbase stretch go? Into the engine compartment?
    Thanks for the readout...I may have to go to my local dealership to do my own research!

As far as the current model, yep the backseats are pretty much uninhabitable. I think one small adult can fit back there if he/she sits sideways... :-(

And the outgoing model does indeed have a glove-compartment mounted trunk release (the classic yellow button). At least my '02 does. Ford has been slowly de-contenting the current model over the last few years. For instance, traction control was standard in my GT...now it's an option.
    Well, to be fair, I will have to actually try sitting in the rear of the car before I discard the idea of having it for my daily driver. Maybe the driving dynamics and 300 hp will 'add' a couple of inches to the rear seat room...8^)

I checked out the glove box after the salesman said there was no inside trunk release: no yellow button. And no trunk release lever at the rear. I hope the salesman was wrong when he said the only way into the trunk was with a key (hey, just like in 1965!)

BTW - traction control IS standard on both the deluxe and premium GT. It is only optional on the V6 models.
  • art_vandelayart_vandelay Member Posts: 45
    My '04 has the trunk release button in the glove box.

I would hope there would be improvement in rear seat room... you're right, only a circus performer could comfortably travel in the back seat of my '04.