Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• sbakersbaker Member Posts: 30
    I've sort of wondered about that myself. I always assumed that the sunroof indicated a solid top, as in body colored metal panel, when closed. Like both my old VW's ('74 Beetle, '86 Golf) had. While moonroof was more like the smoke colored panel, with or without a sliding solid interior panel, like my current Infiniti has. However, the way I've seen the terms used in ads offers little or no help.
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    I believe the difference is that a sunroof only pops up and a moonroof can retract. Probably the main reason they do not offer a moonroof is that it would cut into the amount of headroom by at least an inch or two. I guess they could offer one that opens and slides back above the roof instead of into it.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    They didn't go through the trouble to design a z-fold topped convertible so that people could just get a coupe with a moon roof instead.

Mark
  • sbakersbaker Member Posts: 30
    As I thought... the term is nebulous at best. Although, if one is to believe that article, my assumptions were pretty close. Thanks for the link.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I thought it was good, and was (pleasantly) somewhat surprised that the Mustang beat out the Z overall.

But the video really needs to lose the dorky background music, at least for the track shots....we want to hear the cars!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Both the RX8 and the Mustang GT beat out the Z. At least with the RX8, that's been the case since both the Z and the RX8 has been introduced.

Someone on a different board once called the Z "the best Mustang ever made". That was before the '05 Mustang hit the streets. Now, the '05 Mustang GT is once again the best Mustang ever made.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sportscardkidsportscardkid Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 05 mustang. not only am i getting bad mileage, 13 miles to the gallon, but am having problems putting gas in. As i pump, or let it do it on auto, it stops like the tank is full. However, it is not full. It usually pumps 5 gallons and then stops. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Thanks
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    In my view a Mustang would win out due to the Z having a god-awful high door window sill, with a little slit of a window to see out of on either side. It is a creepy tight feeling. There is also the excessive tire wear issue on the Z. Other than that, it would just about beat anything out there. The RX-8 is a fine car. It uses too much gas and oil, but other than those two negatives, I can think of little else wrong. It is truely a great handling car. For the most balance car for everyday use, the Mustang seems tops between the three. And a V6 with a stick getting around 28MPG on the freeway, while not great, is at least acceptable mileage. I would think that Ford could get the V8 up and into the 28MPG range, like the Corvettes. If gas is not an issue, and using a quart of oil every 1k to 2k or so, not an issue, I would consider the RX-8. My favorite Z dates back to '95. Don't really care so much about the new one. New o6 Eclipse will look awesome. And those that judge a car by it's HP, will like the 260HP V6 coming out this year's model. All those mentioned seem overpriced to me -- discounts to follow!

Would not pay retail, or even $4k over retail on a 'Stang when they will be $2k under retail or more within the year - no doubt.

Loren
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I guess there was a bad link on the camparo among the Mustang, RX-8 and 350Z that Edmunds did recently, so here it is again for those who asked:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=10- 4196

thanks

Host
    Some misconceptions about the RX8. I own one of the first ones to hit these shores. They've upgraded the ECU and I'm getting around 24 MPG on the highway, now. While my RX8 does use a wee bit of oil, since the first oil change (at 5K miles), I've not had to add any between changes. Mine uses about 1 qt every 5K miles, which is by design.

Agree about the Z. I've looked at and test drove them (and thier G35 Coupe cousins) and there's not enough there for me to like.

I think Mustang production is getting up to speed. Local dealer has about 20 V6s and 5 GTs sitting on his lot as of last weekend. They are already discounting the V6s. As the GTs become more plentiful, I'm sure they will be discounted as well (if they aren't already).
    graphiguy:

Good to hear you are getting 24MPG, as some people are only managing to get 22. Here in California, gas is so expensive, the 24MPG would not be enough for me; but I am kinda cheap. The RX-8 is an awesome handling car, so I can see you do some sacrafice in the gas dollar payouts per tank. If you are using a quart of oil per 5k, that is great, and like you said by spec. for the way the engine works. If it stops at that rate, that is great. Hope it does for you. I wonder how insurance rates compare to a Mustang?
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    the first day possible to order them is march 1, as far as i know. if the 8 week wait continues, that would put the first arrival at the beginning of may. $29995 base price : )
    " the first day possible to order them is march 1, as far as i know. if the 8 week wait continues, that would put the first arrival at the beginning of may. $29995 base price : ) "

Wow, $30K for a Mustang? With BMW's, and such starting at under $29K, I think that price would be out of line. I realize rag tops cost more, but really... Miatas with a turbo can be had for around $22k. The Mustang was always a great value in a sporty car for the masses. Are they finally installing a roll bar in the soft top? If the V6 hardtop was selling around $18k and the GT around $22 - 23K, I could understand that. Even $24K or so for a convertible GT with a roll bar, would not seem too crazy, but not $30k. Next thing ya know a Pontiac GTO will be selling for $35K ;-)) I hear is is headed down to around $25k or so on the '04 since they tried to sell those overpriced cars. A Holden ain't worth that sort of dollar.
  • enamelenamel Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I need to know what everyone thinks.

I have a chance to purchase a 71 mach 1, 429CJ with a 4-speed in pretty good shape. It will need floors but body is pretty darn good. I think it's an easy resto. Interior is pristine and it only has 55K miles. Everything is documented. It looks good. What do you think I should pay roughly and what would it be worth, say as a no. 2 driver? I have already checked NADA and others but I need your expert opinion.

Thanks a million.

Bob in Calgary
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The cheapest BMW 325i convertible STARTS at $39K. Street price for a GT coupe should start around $23K and a GT convertible around $28K once the fever dies down. And a Mustang GT will run circles around a 325i.
  • hvcruiserhvcruiser Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been able to purchase a 2005 Mustang GT with the x-plan. If so, which dealership accepted it?

I am located in New Jersey and am having a difficult time finding a dealership here that will honor the X-plan. I am willing to fly anywhere in the country and drive the car back.

Thanks for your help.

Pat
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    in north texas, the supply of gts is extremely low, however x-plans are taken on them all day long. dont take the bait, brother. use your x-plan.
    miata....I've seen some pretty dismal MPG figures from other RX8 owners. But, any sports car fanatic isn't going to put economy anywhere near the top of their "must have" features. If they do, then they are not really a sports car candidate. A buddy has a mini-Cooper S. He gets worse MPG than I do.

Insurance rates between the Mustang (speaking strictly GT variety, here) would be more or less about the same as they are on my RX8. That said, I'm in my 40s and have a clean driving record.

The GTs are stacking up in Indiana (more specifically, Indianapolis). Local dealer around me (I'm just barely on the OH side of Indiana) has about 5 in stock.

I've only talked to 2 dealers (one in OH, one in IN). They both said they'll order any GT I want on the X plan (sister works for Ford). They are quoting 4-6 weeks for delivery if you don't want one off their lot.

Wait a month or two and you should be able to get whatever color, option package you want as production has cranked up on them.
    Just order one and you can get it exactly the way you want it at X plan pricing. Can't beat that.
    Let your engine break in a little more. MPG will get better. That said, the MPG you're getting with the V6 sounds more like what I would expect from the GT. On the other hand, the Ford V6s have never been known to be very frugal with fuel.
    Sorry, that wasn't me.
    Well a 350HP Corvette can get 28 to 30 MPG, I would say Ford needs to do a little more homework on gas mileage for their autos. Yeah, I know they cost less. Fanatics may snap back into reality when gas hits $3 a gallon. It is possible to have extremely fun to drive cars, with plenty of get up and go and still get 30 MPG. This is the 21st century.
    Sorry....it must have been someone else bemoaning their MPG in the V6 Mustang.

The way they get good MPG in the Corvette is with the skip shift. I'll take the lower MPG without skip shift.

Neighbor has a c5 'Vette. He doesn't get near 28 MPG in his. That said, he and I both drive similarly. Just by the way we drive, I'd question my ability to get anything near 28 MPG in a 'Vette, either.
  • tennesseetennessee Member Posts: 2
    I recently lowered my 05 Mustang GT with a set of Eibach springs form The Tire Rack. The subtle change in ride height looks great, makes the stock wheels look better, and greatly improves handling. Also, I liked the chrome spinners on the V6 Halibrand-inspired wheels, so I ordered a set and snapped them in my standard painted grey GT wheels. It adds some bling and promotes the retro look.
    That's highway mileage and it's achieved with the 6 speed manual and deep overdrive. Skip shift helps with the city mileage but that's nowhere near 28.
    I'm not doubting that some people may get 28 MPG out of the 'vette. I'm saying I doubt I could based on the way I drive.

I'm getting 24 MPG in all highway with the cruise set to 75 MPH in my RX8. Getting 28 MPG, while quite a feat in any V8 powered car, wouldn't make it that much of a difference for me even if fuel economy was an issue.

I don't expect that the Mustang GT will be much different than what I'm getting in the MPG dept. either.
  • thndrfrmthndrfrm Member Posts: 2
    Hello all! Can anyone tell me if the 2005 convertable will use the same Shaker 1000 dual 10" sub enclosure as in the coupe? or will it be a different shape/size? Thank-you!
    Every GM or Japanese car I ever owned, I got about 10% or more over the government listed MPG. Ford seems to have a problem getting to the gov. list MPG. No, it may not drive one to the poor house, but it is still something Ford should work on. Overall, the Stang looks like a pretty good value. Will wait for the $2k to $3k off sticker pricing to come. A V8 for around $22K and a V6 around $18K seems about right.
  • thndrfrmthndrfrm Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know? Or know who would know? Thanks again!
    You'll probably have to wait until they're actually on the lot and go look.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I don't know but I can't imagine Ford would incur the extra cost of a second subwoofer design for a low volume trim. Supposedly the new "Z" folding top doesn't intrude into the trunk all that much and the amount of cargo space lost is minimal.

Since the subwoofers sit near the rear of the car, i.e. away from the back seats and folded top, it seems to me they'll be left untouched. One never knows though. ;)
    I agree but I've seen stranger things happen....
  • carfreak189carfreak189 Member Posts: 31
    My dad is very interested in buying the new mustang. It will finally give him the car excitment he lacks in his good but boring malibu. Our biggest concern is the rear wheel drive since we live in New Jersey. Do any of you have expierence with it in the snow, and how was it in the snow. Will it be fine with snow tires?
  • illini_fanillini_fan Member Posts: 1
    I am sure some of these questions/concerns have been mentioned, but I would appreciate any help that is given. I am considering an A-Plan purchase of a Mustang within the next few months, or as supply increases. Anyway, I have the following questions:

1. I live in Chicago and we have pretty bad weather in the winter. Will the GT handle properly at all in snow with the right tires?

2. I don't necessarily like the idea of having to replace Z rated tires on a regular basis. Can I replace them with all season tires without too much loss in handling ability or safety?

3. I am 30 years old with a clean driving record. How bad should I expect the insurance to be?

4. From the perspective of people that own the car now, how do you honestly feel about a GT as a daily driver?
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    I will take a stab at answering your first 2 questions:

1. Yes, but the "right" tires are snow tires, not all-season. You may also have to put some extra weight in the trunk and keep the gas tank full. Also drive in a higher gear than normal. Anything less and you will experience lots of fish-tailing.

2. The Pirelli Zero Neros which come on some GTs are all-season tires.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    i thought it came with traction control. shouldn't that prevent fishtailing? Also, in which case, I would think all-season tires would suffice. Am I incorrect?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    The way I understand traction control, it only works under acceleration. If you're cornering, it won't do a thing for you (it is NOT vehicle stability control).

If I knew up front that I would be dealing with snowy/icy conditions for an extended period of time, I would be getting tires set up for those conditions. They will help all conditions.

But, I live in central Texas, so snow is something I only see on TV......8^)
  • houstonman4houstonman4 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2004 V-6 Premium Convertible Mustang. My first Mustang was a 1967 289 V-8 GT 2+2 Fastback when I was a kid. I had dual exhaust with Cherry Bombs on it. I loved how it sounded. My question to anyone, can I have my stock muffler removed and install a glass pack. I know a V-6 is not the same as a V-8, but I would like to get more of an exhaust note. I have heard that a change in back pressure would affect emissions and the actual operation of the engine. Is this true? Also, has anyone done what I would like to do on a 3.8 V-6 and gotten the desired result of a good exhaust note? I would like my engine to roar like my old 289 did.
    Get a good cat back exhaust (Borla, Magnaflow, etc.). Not only will it change the exhaust note but should yield a few more hp.
    My last post mentioned the rear wheel drive concern, but our concern is insurance. My dad is 47 with a clean driving record but next year I will be 17 and on the policy. i wouldn't drive the mustang I'd probably use his 2000 malibu or a new saturn ion chevy colbalt type car. Would the mustang insurance be terrible, because I would be on the policy, or would it not make a differene. Would it then be cheaper for me to have my own insurance policy, rather being on his.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Not sure about a glass pack muffler on a V6...it will likely be really loud but raspy.

If you're just looking for a weld-in muffler, might want to consider Flowmaster...I understand the 40 series gives a fairly good V8-approximating rumble, and Flowmaster is responsible for what most people think of as *the* performance Mustang sound for the modern cars (many, many people run these mufflers).

You shouldn't have any problems with the backpressure, and your emissions should be okay as long as you don't screw with the catalytic converters.

But I'd agree with Akirby...get a good catback for the best possible sound. Also you can give yourself a quasi-dual system that way. Ford Racing offers a 3.8 quasi-dual catback that I've always wondered about...it's in the catalog; they claim good mellow sound and bolts right in. I run a Ford Racing 4.6 catback on my GT, and Iove the sound: pleasingly loud and rumbly, but not obnoxious.
    Having you as a primary driver of a different vehicle shouldn't drive up the insurance on the mustang very much.
    WOW....Cherry Bombs.....that was a time warp for me. When I first started driving (almost 30 years ago), every beater I had I installed Cherry Bombs. Got to agree that a Borland is the way to go if you want to change the exhaust. I don't know that putting a catback will yield any noticeable HP and I don't know that I'd prefer the sound of something like a Borland over the standard GT exhaust (which sounds great out of the box).

I can only comment on my 18 year old's insurance rate. I have an RX8. My son's primary driver is a Hyundai Elantra. I know my insurance company would not let me "exclude" him as a driver on my RX8. So, he's on my policy. That's was a big insurance rate jump when I added him, but I don't think it had much to do with the car I was driving....only that he's a young and relatively inexperience driver. His hope is that his insurance goes down when he turns 19 next month....we'll see!
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    The terminal muffler should not have any impact on emissions. If you get a "check engine" light (which you would fail inspection for in some states), disconnect and then reconnect the negative battery terminal to allow the computer to reset. Because of altitude differences (i.e. oxygen content in a specified volume of air) for car buyers in different parts of the world, there is a fairly broad range of power conditions that allow the car to run smoothly.
  • normanr2normanr2 Member Posts: 6
    I stopped at Magnussen Ford in Fremont, CA yesterday to look at the '05 Mustang and was told that the convertible would be built only for a few months this year starting in about 4-6 weeks. Has anyone heard this? If true is Ford trying to keep the dealer markup alive longer?

Thanks,

Norman
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    "

The way I understand traction control, it only works under acceleration. If you're cornering, it won't do a thing for you (it is NOT vehicle stability control)."

Not quite true, traction control detects wheel slip and will back of the throttle and/or apply braking to the slipping wheel. I've had it come on when going through a corner under wet, e.g. in the first few minutes of a rain which loosens up all the oil, etc. on the road making it very slick, with temps well above freezing, it will keep you under control in such situations. What stability control does is add another sensor, for yaw, and the programming required to make it work, to the traction control/ABS package. That is an improvement as the system will kick in under even dry condition if you enter a curve too aggressively, even before there's a loss of traction or wheel slip. But regular traction control is still better than nothing. I just have to remember to watch my speed when I have any doubts about the road condition. Good practice anyway.
    My dad is interested in the Gt deluxe with some options in it. Ive noticed that there is a major shortage. As March and April comes around will the cars be produced a lot more so we will not have to get on a waiting list. Does the clearence mater or with traction control, 17 inch tires and in a higher gear it should be fine in the snow. From 1984-1995 he had a rear wheel drive celica and said it was fine in the snow, is there anything different about this car that would cause problems the 1984 celica did not have in the snow.
  • crackzcrackz Member Posts: 1
    ok look, edmunds is obviously trying to make the 350Z and RX-8 look

bad. first, on the spec page they show the gross weight of the RX-8 but

show the curb weight for the Mustang GT. i mean seriously do you think im

not smart enough to look it up? two, these cars are all 05', obviously

the GT is an 05' but the 350Z is not because on the specs page, the 05'

350Z has 287 hp but the 05' model is suppose to have 300 hp. Edmunds is

trying to make Nissan and Mazda look bad. Why? they give false

information to consumers to make other manufacturers look bad. they should the

truth so i think Edmunds is against Mazda and Nissan