Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• arnie08515arnie08515 Member Posts: 2
    I just drove a 2004 GT V - 8 260 hoursepower at my local dealer. Its a leftover model and the dealer was anxious to get rid of it. The problem was that the car was sluggish. I really had to push down on the accelerator. Once it got to 3rd gear it was fine and ran well. But frankly the acceleration was disappointing.

After the test drive I told the salesman about the problem. He said the car been sitting on the lot for about 2 years and its to be expected that the acceleration would lag. He didn't offer to check out the car himself. Very lazy indeed. I got suspicious so I backed off on making an offer,

I don't know. Has anyone seen this before. A V -8 that drove like a medium 6 on acceleration. the car sounded fine but the acceleration just wasn't there. I like the car and the price is good $19,000. Any comments

Also, I noted that the car only had 25 miles on it. I thought this was strange for a 2004 model to only have 25 miles. Could it have been in the shop? the Salesman didn't even offer to check it out.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Welcome to the Forums, jessie945! A good place to ask this question is in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion in our Maintenance & Repair Forum. One of the experts there is likely to have an answer for you. Good luck!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    the '69 Stang 390 was fast and big. :P
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I drove a new Montego the other day. When you pushed down on the accelerator for a second the car felt like it was in neutral than started accelerating. The salesman said that it had been sitting and was cold. I walked and I'd recommend that you do the same. There are literally thousands of 2004's around with low mileage -under 10k - and this one sounds like a lemon to me. Wonder why it has been sitting there for two years? Wonder why the dealer didn't get a tech to look at it? I'd look for another dealer and definately another car.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    There are some cars you have to get to a certain rpm before they accelerate, really wierd sensation, even dangerous IMHO. :mad:
  • stangchica19stangchica19 Member Posts: 1
    Goodyear Eagle GA 16"
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    " drove a new Montego the other day. When you pushed down on the accelerator for a second the car felt like it was in neutral than started accelerating. The salesman said that it had been sitting and was cold. I walked and I'd recommend that you do the same. There are literally thousands of 2004's around with low mileage -under 10k - and this one sounds like a lemon to me. Wonder why it has been sitting there for two years? Wonder why the dealer didn't get a tech to look at it? I'd look for another dealer and definitely another car. "

-end quote-

The Montego has throttle-by-wire, so that may account for the hesitation on acceleration. If they get it wrong, and many a car seem to have it wrong, you get a lag. It is not just US makes that have problems. I would prefer to not mess with throttle-by-wire and electronic steering assist. As for the 2004 Mustang, it does not have throttle-by-wire. The new one does. I don't know what is wrong with the car on the lot, but like the other posting person said, walk away if it is not running good. Why start out on the wrong foot?

Loren
    The tires on my car are 15" - I have the V6 2000 convertible (205 65R 15) Were the 15s still Eagle GA's?
    The new Malibu has electric steering and I didn't notice any problem. The car steered fine. I didn't even know that it had electric steering until I read the brochure later. The throttle by wire though on the Montego was a strange experience.
    I have a 2000 V6 convertible. I'm trying to find out what the original equipment tires were on this car. Size is 205 65R 15. Were they Eagle GA's on the V6 models? I have Douglas tires that the original owner put on and want to replace them with the original brand and model of tires. Does anyone remember?
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    My 2000 v6 convert had the Goodyear GAs...replaced with Toyos.
    Thanks for the info. I may do the same but it would be nice to stick with original equipment tires.
  • mustanggalemustanggale Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2004 Convertible Anniversary Edition, Screaming Yellow with a White top. It had 30 miles on it when I bought it. Now I have 6500 miles on it. The first 1500 miles were fine then the car started vibrating real bad so I took it back to the dealer. First they thought the differential was the problem, ruled that one out and started on the trans and drive shaft. I told them that's what I thought it was in the beginning. They had my car for 2 weeks.
    I have had it back for 3 weeks now and it is vibrating again and the gas mileage is horrible. Also, it doesn't have the power it had before.
    Has anyone else had any problems with their car.
    I am a very unhappy Mustang owner.
  • mustanggalemustanggale Member Posts: 2
    What problems has anyone found with the 2004 Mustang V6. I seem to be having transmission problems. What else is wrong with them?
  • kazumakazuma Member Posts: 50
    hello all

i just got a 86 mustang gt 5.0 hatchback for free. u can only guess the body as it was "free"
    it doesnt have the original motor iether, i havnt had much luck figuring out what motor it is or from what yr or make the engine came from. i have pinpointed it down to a 351 HO , or windsor, maybe even a cleavland.to boot it hasnt ran in a yr but when it did it ran tops. 5 spd.

real question is, should i invest time on making a fast mustang or invest time on making a fast buck selling parts. body's got rust, lol not to sure on the frame (the car is 3 county's away and i have to tow it to my place for further exam ) interior, well u get the idea...

any input would be great, hell maybe even a deal!! :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm quite familiar with the 86 5.0. I'm not sure though, from your description, you have much to sell on this one that's worth anything parted out. I'd probably get it running good, and sell the car, if it were me.
  • needtoysneedtoys Member Posts: 1
    At the end of June, I bought a 2004 GT convertible for $23,000. It had 1200 miles and just titled in Feb 05. I located the dealer via web searches. I'm 53 and my insurance (massachusetts) came in at $1450...that's with a perfect driving record. At this point though, its worth it. I have an ear to ear grin on my face when driving. Life is really good.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    congrats on your new toy!! you got a really good deal on your ride huh? was it a left over? or did someone had it for a short time and traded it in??
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Good stuff...congratulations! Color?

My local dealerships seem to have a few leftover 04s sitting around. They seem a good deal, esp. with the few 05s they have sporting a $5k "market adjustment" fee. :(
  • jg495jg495 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a left over 2004 GT, where abouts is this dealership? Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    You're kidding, right? They still have 04's that have never been sold??? Those have to be boat anchors!!
    " You're kidding, right? They still have 04's that have never been sold??? Those have to be boat anchors!! "

--end quote--

Well, there are some things to like in an 'o4. Looking backwards a years time:
    1) The 2004 looks more trim. While the 2005 is not fat, it is looking like it is getting there.
    2) You do not have throttle-by-wire to contend with.
    3) No first year production quirks - should have fewer problems.
    4) Some may prefer the less retro / replica car look. ( I have mixed feelings, as it really does look sweet, yet I sometime feel like I have already seen it somewhere years ago, new in 1968 or 69 )
    5) Gauges are set closer together, and easier to read without being inline with the steering wheel.
    6) No problems getting fuel into the tank.
    7) The dash was rounded and not a flat edgy looking thing, which dates back to my old '65. Come on, it was not special then and looks strange now when mixed with too many different time periods all rolled into one model.
    8) Gas mileage the same to worse on new model.

OK, the New Stang has good build quality, as in tighter, stronger. And yes, it is suppose to handle better, which is a good thing. Looks wise, they exterior is pretty cool, yet almost too retro. Is it a better car - better buy? Don't know - just depends on how ya add up things. If you could find an '04 for under $20k compared to paying $25+ for the new one, well it would all depend on what you see the car as -- improvements, vs. less appreciated changes.

Loren
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    You are forgetting what an 04 feels like when you drive it down the road, like its the body is twisting and flexing like a highschool football jock showing off for the cheerleaders.

Oh and don't forget that weird shifter.

Oh and the weird seating position. If you are 5'8 you have to slide the seat way forward to be able to work the pedals then you have to recline way back so that you are right on top of the steering wheel.

Speaking of pedals, how about that clutch effort? You could always tell a Mustang driver who had stick verse automatic because the Stick driver's left leg muscles were bigger than his right legs.

Want to talk about retro? How about the pull out head light switch the 04. My dad had the same kind of switch in his 1976 Ford F100!

Oh and who wouldn't want a live axle setup that thinks its suppose to swap ends on you whenever you brake on a wet road?

Over all though it was a great car...for 1978.

Mark
    I have an 01 Convertible, and I like it a lot. That being said, I like the 05 better. The big advantage I can find in the 04, is the potential heavy discount one may achieve. It was a nice car, and I have no beefs with it. The 05 though is just better all the way around IMO, with the possible exception of the .....the......well, come to think of it, it escapes me what could be an exception.
    Yes, the '05 has a better shifter. And many, my self included prefer the modern day clutch and shifter, though prefer the old mechanical feel. If I bought a pre-'05, it would be an automatic. As for swapping ends on a wet road, I do wonder. I owned a '65 and a '85 and never had that problem. Don't know why, all of the sudden, people are having problems driving RWD car. As for the headlight switch on a Mustang being on the dashboard, it really doesn't bother me at all -- it works just fine there.

Performance wise, does anyone has the slalom tests, lateral G tests and such to see how they compare between '04 and '05. Never heard of an excessive body flex in an '04 Stang.

Does the New Stang have a telescopic steering wheel? If not, the seating position may or may not work better. I am 5'8" and seating position is fine on the '04 = short arms.

Loren
    But my 01 fits me fine and the 05 fits me fine too......
  • mustangedmustanged Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 GT with 69k miles and had a problem last week with my ball joint breaking at a stop light. I had it repaired, and found out that the originals do not have grease fittings/ cannot be greased. I replaced it with a greasable one. Had any one known of a similar problem or any recall information on this issue?
    I had just begun looking for soulutions or suggestions. :confuse:
  • stang04stang04 Member Posts: 3
    arnie i hope you bought the car i have an 04 gt and i love it just put some mods on it magnaflow exhaust and a bbk air box wow i will be 52 this year
  • sirgallantsirgallant Member Posts: 1
    I do believe you have the wrong car. The one you're thinking of is the Pinto. Back in '76 or thereabouts Mother Earth News did an expose on the Pinto. When rear-ended at less than 35 mph the frame would buckle, the doors would jam and the gas tank would explode. Ford knew about it but refused to do anything because they wanted to manufacture a car that would cost less than $2000 MSRP. To rectify the problem it required the installation of a 1 pound, $11.00 baflle but that would have put the price over $2000. Ford calculated the cost of human life including suffering and loss of limbs, burial and other costs and determined it would be cheaper to deal with those costs than it would be to do a recall on all the Pintos on the road. After Mother Earth released their article, it resulted in lawsuits and Lee Iacocca's dismissal. I doubt Ford would be stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. And if so, I imagine it would have made the news by now.
    Where do you get your facts, man? That infamous memo has been falsely represented. A 1991 Rutgers Law Review article showed that the memo did not pertain to Pintos or even to Ford products.
    The memo dealt with American cars in general. Plus, it wasn't about rear-end collisions and exploding gas tanks, but rollovers.
    Finally, the reason it assigned a monetary value to a human life was because federal regulators wanted Ford and other auto companies to use that concept, not because greedy executives wanted to find a way to justify not making product improvements. Federal regulators employed that very concept in their deliberations over the efficacy of proposed regulations.
    Auto makers could make a car that is completely safe in virtually every circumstance...and it would cost about $1 million a copy. Cost-benefit analysis is an integral part of the regulatory process, not a device employed by greedy, heartless executives to foist unsafe products on the public.
    This is why I approach this entire episode with a healthy dose of skepticism. (That, and the idea that companies, like individuals, are innocent until PROVEN guilty. And I do not consider an adverse verdict, a spate of news stories featuring hysterical CR-V owners, or a pronouncement by Ralph Nader or Joan Claybrook to be proof of guilt.)
    Too many of these scares - the Ford Pinto gas tank case, the Audi unintended acceleration fiasco, the GM pickups with the allegedly hazardous "side saddle" gas tanks - have collapsed once all of the facts were brought to light.
    that was a post from 2002 that sirgallant replied to.... talk about delay reaction..
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Weeeelll.......

The original poster was asking a question and ended his post with "and I await your response".

I guess sirgallant just figured the original poster had waited long enough. :)
    Those time warps can kill ya......
  • medontemikemedontemike Member Posts: 2
    I Have a 2004 Mustang convertible with 6 and 5 speed manual. The car is great except for drieability problems. THe engine hangs at the rpm that i am shifting at. In addition the car continues down the road at the same speed without touching the accelerator or the cruise control on. Anyone know of a solution. PS I have had the dealer look at this but they claim that all settings are within spec.

Thanks Medontemike
  • medontemikemedontemike Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Mustang convertible with 6 and 5 speed manual. The car is great except for drieability problems. THe engine hangs at the rpm that i am shifting at. In addition the car continues down the road at the same speed without touching the accelerator or the cruise control on. Anyone know of a solution. PS I have had the dealer look at this but they claim that all settings are within spec.

Thanks Medontemike
  • rpsrps Member Posts: 5
    be nice, this is my first post. i have a '00gt with white conv top. bought car in dec 04. how do you keep the top clean. raggtopp doesn't work very well. anyone have any home made solutions or another market brand that does work?
    I made the mistake last spring of ordering a 2006 Solara Convertible. Rode like a truck -you felt every pebble in the road except when you were diriving it on the highway. Really stiff. Convertible flex was awful -whole car shook. Everybody loves it though - it is a Toyota. I dumped the car after 352 miles . I'm sure that I'm the only person in the world who didn't like it. It just felt wierd compared to my GM cars. Lost a couple of thousand dollars but it was better than driving that piece of crap for three or four years. Interior was beautiful but the car just wasn't smooth. I already have a, '03 Deville for the road and a Malibu (daily driver) and Avalanche (wife's real estate car) so I looked around for a fun car and bought a 2000 Mustang V6 convertible with 42,000 miles. Performance Red! I detailed it and even got second place in the Lubbock Mustang Club show in Lubbock last month. So far it is great. No convertible flex I can notice. Rear end feels funny -I'm used to front wheel drive GM cars. My '01 Malibu rides like a Cadillac compared to the Mustang but the Mustang is really fun to drive and feels like a sports car. I'll probably sell it in a couple of years and get an '06 but I've driven the '05 and there really isn't a light year worth of difference between my '01 and the '05. It is a little smoother and feels tighter but it was new. I'm sorry that I went for so many years without purchasing a Mustang. I'm really enjoying mine.
    I've used Raggtop on my '01 convertible with a black top. The top looks great after an application. I would certainly scrub the top with whatever Ford recommends, but after it is clean, the Raggtop final coat should make it look nice. Perhaps Ford sells a top cleaner.
    Cost/Benefit analysis is common to all industries. I've developed and managed occupational safety programs and when you develop and promulgate safety standards you have to be realistic and consider how you can protect the most people for a reasonable cost. Any car or piece of machinery can be made absolutely safe but as was pointed out it would cost a fortune. Instead of making the piece of machinery or car absolutely safe you prescribe personal protective equipment, guards, seat belts, air bags, and so on. You can therefore keep the cost down but the operator has a degree of responsibility for his own safety which is certainly justifiable.
  • azmustangazmustang Member Posts: 5
    I live in Arizona and purchased a leftover 2004 Mustang convertible in May of 2005. It has an automatic transmission; it does not have ABS nor traction control. It has the 6 cylinder engine. I am relocating to NJ in October. NJ has rough winters with lots of snow. I like this car a great deal and would like to take it back with me to NJ. If I sell it now, I'm facing a big depreciation hit. Once back in NJ, it would be my wife's daily driver. I'm worried that this car will be virtually undrivable in the snow, and therefore not very safe. Anyone have experiences with this car in this type of snowy climate? Any suggestions? Can ABS be added? Any terrific snow tires that would make this car roadworthy in the snow? Much obliged for any advice.
  • rpsrps Member Posts: 5
    your blk top won't show dirt like white will. it has imbedded dirt that raggtopp won't get out. let it set 10-20 mins,still there
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I have no axe to grind here as I drive a Toyota Highlander as a daily driver, and have an '01 Mustang Bullitt for "fun"; nor can it change anything as you have already got rid of your '06 Solara Convert. - but I'm just wondering if maybe the dealer delivered your Solara to you with overinflated tires (my HL came with over 40 lbs in each and they should be about 32)?? This often happens and usually results in a very rough ride. Since you had it only 352 miles, you "could" have lost a bunch of money over not checking the tire pressure? Usually Solara's have a very comfortable ride - my wife has had a Solara SLE V6 coupe since late '99 and it rides just fine.
    Welcome to the club, dispencer! Nice to see you over here.

You have the singular distinction of being the only American not to love his Toyota..... You're a brave soul to admit it. When do you start therapy?
    i hate to be the bearer of bad news.. but our car.. mine's a 99 V6 mustang convertible, without the traction control also... and i think any mustang.. are horrible in snow.. i think you would have a better chance if its a manual and your wife is a skilled driver..

just to give u an example.. this past jan, i was driving from NY to CT.. 2 hour drive.. and was caught when it started to snow.. i'm talking very little snow on the highway, but it was enough to make the road very slippery.. i lost traction and the rear end started to fishtail.. and i did a 360 from the far left lane all the way to the right across 3 lanes and crashed.. luckily there were no cars around me ... i had to replace front bumper, hood, rear bumper, left fender, roof, side skirt and spoiler..

but on the other hand, i've heard about people living in big cities.. who have a very short commute to work on local streets .. and have no problem at all after putting on snow tires and putting a 100pound bag of sand in the trunk... so it depends on what kinda commute your wife has... i wouldnt chance it though.. wives are harder to replace if you like yours.. =)

anyone have snow experiences to share??
    Unfortunately, just like yours........
    Best snowmobile could be a Subaru Legacy. Snow sounds like a really awful thing to contend with. The AWD Subaru should offer the most control. If I ever suffer with driving in snow, it will be time to consider the Subaru line. And they are no longer strange looking -- oops, I mean to say the Legacy is not.

I have driven in light snow, and heavy rain with the RWD cars without any trouble, but never the heavier snow.

Loren
    the issue with the mustangs .. they're front heavy... there's absoluately no weight on the rear wheels so when it starts to spin and there's no traction, the rear end just goes all over the place... not good if you're trying to go in a straight line such as on the hiway..

the newer stangs are more evenly weight distributed...
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I have a tough time believing what is said when I read the following:

" there's absoluately no weight on the rear wheels"
    You could always get a Newfoundland dog as a pet, and put him in the back seat.
    Adds required rear weight for traction. :D I think no weight on rear wheels is only
    achieved when jabbing the brakes hard enough to raise the rear end. That would indeed
    not be a pretty sight. Hummm, maybe a good drifter car ;) Now there is sport which the tire companies love :)

Yes, 2005 Stangs have better weight distribution.

Is it my imagination that the door sill height is once again a little higher than last year?
    Are the doors growing, or am I seeing things?
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I've got a 2000 Mustang V/6 Convert with traction control and live on Long Island. To be honest with you, it is not a great car in the snow, even with the traction control on. I'm running a set of Toyo all weather tires so I would guess that with a set of good winter tires it might be better, but honestly, I can break the back end lose in the rain.

Drove home from the train station one winter storm last December and honestly had to idle away from most stops or I could not get any traction.

Winter tires and trunk weight may help some...but we have gotten spoiled with front wheel drive. At one point, we all drove rear wheel drive in the snow! ;)