Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• stangin4lifestangin4life Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have an opinion on the best way and/or products to use when tryin to update the sound system in my 2003 Mustang GT Convertible, without adding subwoofers to the trunk? Optimum bass and sound quality is desired. All opinions would be appreciated...thank you!

Stangin4Life
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Yes, the tires were overinflated -not to 40 but to 50 psi. I checked then when I got it home and bled them to 30. The car still rode stiffly . For those who are used to a "performance suspension" or "European Ride" (like every MB I've ever driven), they will love the SLE convertible. I didn't drive one before I ordered it. The coupe drove more smoothly so I figured the convertible was the same. When I got in my Malibu it felt like an old shoe. Comfortable and the shocks felt like they had some give to them. The Mustang rides harder than the Malibu but it is not uncomfortable. The Solara does fine at high speeds on a smooth interstate but for an around town driver with our bumpy city streets it is not much fun. I just decided that I didn't want to tie up $30,000 in something that was annoying and a car I had to "think" about when I drove it. In contrast I drove a new 2006 Honda Civic sedan and it rode very nicely -much smoother than the Solara. I then drove a new '05 Accord coupe and it was a lot stiffer.
    I'd be interested in your replies on this subject. I thought of replacing my factory speakers on my 2000 convertible with new ones (from a newer Mustang if they are the same size).
    I just have the base stereo system with CD and Cassette. I want to keep the car original so I want to keep my factory stereo but the speakers would help a lot I would assume.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Replacing your speakers is supposed to be the #1 thing you can do to enhance the sound of your factory audio system. What comes from the factory was bought for price not quality. If you are going to go to the trouble of replacing speakers, I wouldn't get them from a newer Mustang but rather buy some higher quality aftermarket speakers. A place like Crutchfield will tell you exactly what will fit and I have had good luck replacing older OEM speakers with good quality ones that they recommend as exact fits.. As most will end up under some kind of grill, there will be no visual difference from the factory stuff.
    Well, the monsoons have moved into the North East and yesterday I found the inside of my trunk damp. I have had this problem on and off for 6 months or so but yesterday I found water in the well bag behind the back seat that the top goes into when it goes down. My theory is that water gets in here, has no place ot go so drains down into the trunk.

The top is still in great shape and I am thinking there must be a seal between the top and the car body that is leaking. Anyone else had this kind of water get into their car?
  • tina1994tina1994 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Medontemike. I have a 1994 GT and it sounds like we have the same problem. The car has been fabulous (I got it with 8000 miles on it mint from a dealer, it had been garage kept). The only annoying problem I've experienced is with the RPMS racing up (for no reason). It feels like the car is accelerating and sometimes it even jerks. I have had it to the dealer more times than I care to admit for this and they tell me the same thing...they don't know. I even had a black box data recorder hooked up to the car last year where I pressed a button within 10 seconds of the acceleration/raising of the RPMS and the dealer came back and told me that my computer was probably too old for them to get an accurate reading as to what is wrong. A friend of mine recently told me that he thinks it is a fuel sensor. I'm inclined to believe him as I noticed a sensitivity to when I have filled up with a tank of gas and with how old the fuel filter is and most definitely "temperature". I dont know where you live, but I am on the East coast and as the weather gets colder, this problem gets much worse.
  • bayoubengal72bayoubengal72 Member Posts: 1
    Don't forget that Volkswagen has an all-wheel drive system (4Motion) available on the Jetta, Passat and Toureg, and ABS and Traction Control are standard even on the FWD models. When I bought my 99 Passat they didn't offer AWD yet, just available on Audi back then. But then I live pretty far south and we don't even get snow every year. Here I worry more about wet weather traction and my Passat wagon handles that with no problem.
  • extvmanextvman Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened here?. I have a 99 Mustang convertible that when the window is all the way up, when the door is shutting, the top of the window comes into contact with the rag top and won't close. This is on the drivers side if that makes any difference.
  • packattack4packattack4 Member Posts: 1
    hi my mustang window has been acting funny and falling uot of track inside the door. the actual track is working fine.. its just the glue or w/e used to hold the window in the slots on the track.. has come loose and now i cant roll down my window without worrying it will fall out of the slots. would i be able to just like use cement glue and put it back in the slots or what would i have to do?

thanks
  • husqvarnahusqvarna Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 LX 5.0 Conv. The car was sitting outside for 5 years, until recently, when I acquired the car from a friend. The power top, according to my friend was working before he parked it for so long. When I push the button to retract the top, I hear just a clicking noise, coming from the power top motor, and that's it. The top does not go down. Any suggestions what I can do to troubleshoot the problem, and possibly get the top to work? I know a new conv. motor is quite expensive. I would like to eliminate that option if at all possible. Thanks.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Prior to 1994, Ford did not FACTORY build convertibles. These cars were built as a coupe then sent to a top shop.

Make sure you are breaking the seal between the headliner and the top...push up on the the top until there is a gap.
  • fatfishfatfish Member Posts: 12
    My wife's 2000 Mustang convertible just developed a trunk leak....any updates on the cause of this???...Thanks
    Just found the problem,I think....appears the the rear window is becoming detached from top and leaking from there into trunk as the boot was filled with water....Now, how to repair...internet searches say to have the rear window replaced...any thoughts...Thanks!
    Fatfish,

Sounds like the same thing I found. The problem is the same - top boot takes on water, leaks through fabric into trunk.

My mechanic had the guy he knows who does tops take a look at it and he tried a fix. Used some windshield hot apply silicone to try and seal an area where the stitching appeared to have deteriorated towards the bottom of the window. Sounded good but the bottom line is that it didn't work.

The truth is that the guy who did the work did not really think it would do the job because as he started doing the work he said he found that the window had become what he called "delaminated". I think that means that the window itself has separated from the vinyl that surrounds it which allows the water to enter.

Now, to the solution, he says, yes, as you found, replace the rear window. Now, there is an added wrinkle. He says that replacing the window on this car is such a labor intensive effort that it is cheaper to replace the entire top and window! I was shocked a bit about that because I remember that my 88 Mustang had a zip in rear window. Things are not the same. He also told me that because it is so labor intensive to replace just the window, auto insurance companies will pay to replace the whole top and it will be cheaper than just replacing the window as the whole thing goes on the car much easier.

As an asside...in looking at a 2005 Mustang convert the other day in traffic, it now appears that the window is actually a part of the top rather than a separate piece like on our cars.

Well, that's what I've learned...hope that helps and or confirms what you've found out.
    fdthird

Thanks for your update...I duct taped the sides of the rear window to see if this really was the problem just before a heavy rain the other day....it doesn't look good but just wanted to see what would happen.....There was still a little water in boot but not much so it appears that this maybe the problem area.....I'm going to tape the whole window and wait till next rain which is due in a couple of days.....Will insurance pay for a new top??? That's a new one on me? Will keep you in the loop..I did read that somebody used a double sided tape and this cured the problem in a Sebring.
    fdthird
    Any idea on the cost for a new top for the 2000?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You may get it done for less, but it cost me $2000 on my 01.
    Wow...and it's not very big...wonder what my Sebring would cost....no more ragtops for me....mid age crisis..smile!
  • mustanghottiemustanghottie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 mustang convertible. I had the top replaced a few monthes ago but I still find water in the car. After I looked over the car I found a small hole in between the top and the back side windows on each side. Any ideas on how to fix it or can I replace the seals?
  • poohbearazpoohbearaz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 model and have the exact same problem. The dealer told me that the window is coming unglued from where it is attached to the rest of the car. I was told that the window would have to be replaced since it comes with the part it is glued to. I was referred to a third party shop because it would cost much less. I was also told that my insurance might cover it under glass coverage.
  • ronnotdonronnotdon Member Posts: 1
    It looks like the rear window on my 2000 mustang convertible was pushed in about 1/3 inch on the top by someone trying to break in or it just decided to not fit right on its own. Is there some way to adjust this? The seal between the side window and rear window just don't touch anymore.
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    first is : the drivers window controls the passengers window will go down but it won't go up, how do i fix this?

second: why am i averageing such bad gas milage (15 according to last count )

my car is an 03 mustang v6 with auto and only 45k miles it just hit 45k like a few days ago
  • 7forever17forever1 Member Posts: 11
    Have a 99 mustang with a flashing anti-theft light and the car will not start with origianl key or secondary key. Hve tried to reset the alarm by removing the negative battery cable. What next?? :confuse:
    Well I finally got around to taking the car to a local shop and water is getting via the rear window so we decided to get a new top instead of just replacing the window.....my advice is to be sure and check around before you buy....The car is a triple white and if you have a white top then you know how difficult it is to keep clean...decided to go with a dark blue Electron top...One shop wanted almost $2400 and was like a car dealership, no discount, $75 hr for labor etc etc...I am having it done at a small shop that has been around forever and it's only $1075....Same top etc so do your homework before you buy. I don't think you'll find another white 2000 Mustang with white leather seats and dark blue top around so it will be unique....Thanks to all for their input.
  • dcls6dcls6 Member Posts: 13
    can't retreive the CD from the player of my '98 'vert. It plays just fine but won't eject. Any thoughts??
  • backseatbackseat Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if anyone has any information on recalls that were never made on the back seat belts of the 1999 Ford Mustangs, Has there ever been any reported failure of the sholder strap not catching on impact?
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    I have a 98 GT, had the same problem a few months ago. Waited a couple days, tried it again, and it ejected no problem. Haven't had any issues since. Try it when the car is running, not when the engine is off (with key on accessory). I think there's more juice that way.
  • dcls6dcls6 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, tried that last year, but now can't get a CD out under any circumstances - yet!
    Check out www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ you may find some info there.
  • brobichaudbrobichaud Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Does anyone in this chat room own a first generation mustang? Or maybe I am in the wrong place? I have a borderline 1965 convertible. I wish to chat with others who have a similar interest. If so, please reply.
    Happy Crusin,

BRobichaud
    I would try a google groups search here

http://groups.google.com/

Good Luck!
  • crich444crich444 Member Posts: 1
    I'm Restoring a 86 Mustang GT and I am looking for intirer parts. Anybody have parts or know anybody that has parts. Please forward to my Email Thanks.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    here ya go:
    http://www.stangnet.com/

You may consider front disk brakes, if you do have them, and the modifications on gas tank, or a plate between trunk and passenger compartment. If you do a search of Mustang clubs, there is always one near you. Enjoy the ride! - Loren
  • eblackwelleblackwell Member Posts: 3
    I've read other posts with leaks around the rear window. Mine is very small, like the a few stitches in the lower right corner of the rear window of loosened. I read where people replaced their whole top. For such a small leak, isn't there something like a patch I can do inside the car at that corner? :(

I also have a problem with my headlights. I don't think the dashboard switch is staying clicked in place. The headlights go out, and I have to push the switch in then out again. Is this something I can replace to save money on garage labor? :confuse:

Thank you.
  • ditaliaditalia Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 that started leaking in October. We have been trying every remedy since to cure the problem, if it is the stitching, marine shops sell a water repellant for canvas. The good stuff is about $22. I originally thought the problem on mine was the stitching. We used that and it did in fact repel the water and caused it to bead up, but there was still water leaking in. As it end up down in the bottom corner, where the rear window is, there is a hole and severe deteriorate. My car is garage kept with the exception of going to work, Obviously this is seems to be a defect with the top. I have contacted the dealer and they informed me that if they determine that it is a manufacturer issue, they will contact ford to see if they can replace the top although the car is out a warranty. Another interesting thing is all complaints seem to be about the back window. Another thing that I have found while searching for replacement tops is that aftermarket companies will warranty for 5 years, but ford doesn't unless you buy extended warranty. Sounds fishy to me.
    ditalia...Good Luck and keep us informed as to what dealer says...thanks!
  • jnorwood32jnorwood32 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I have an '83 GT convertible. My recent problem is a short somewhere in the intstrument cluster and I need some input from someone who is familiar with the wiring. Here's what's happening. Intermitantly when I turn on the headlights, the instrument cluster does EXACTLY the opposite of what it's supposed to do. The cluster lights are off, the hi beam indicator is on when the lights are actually on dim, the turn signal indicators are always on except when it turn on the blinker on, and the door ajar buzzer remains on. I have a feeling it's a relay that is stuck and from time to time I could band on the top of the dash and it would return to normal. But I think I have wore out that method cause it won't work now. When the short is happening, like I said everything happens in reverse. The headlights are on dim but the indicator for high beams is on. When I switch to high beams, the light go to high and the indicator goes off. When the turn signals are off the indicators are both on. But if I turn on a signal, when the blinker outside lights up, the proper indicator light turns off. Any clues? Like I said I think it's a relay that is stuck but I'm not sure and would like some help. If you think you know, let me know and let me know where exactly the relay is. At first I thought it was the headlight switch (pull kind) so I replaced it. That didn't remedy the situation. Let me know and I appreciate your help in advance.

-Jon
  • eblackwelleblackwell Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, ditalia! I'll try the water repellant, although I'm not sure how that plugs up the hole made by loose stitching?
    There are tons of interior parts available from a number of different parts companies. Catalogs are free in most cases. Buy one of the Mustang magazines available or join the Mustang Club of America and check the ads in the magazines and journals. If you have the frame you can BUILD a Mustang from the parts catalogs it seems.
  • ditaliaditalia Member Posts: 2
    I took the car to the dealer with no luck. It is hole caused by the back window separating from the vinyl. I have checked the prices of replacing the top and in Delaware it is about $1,400. The includes the top and the new back window with glass and defroster. I have elected not to replace the top right away it since I do keep it in the garage most of the time. My dad did put a small rubber tube in the boot where the water sits with silicone around it and ran it through the trunk to drain. It has rained once since he did that and when I checked the back, there was only a small drop of water left. I don;t know how long that will hold up, but hopefully long enough for m to save for a new top.
    Well, we all seem to be suffering from the same thing. Like my 2000 convertible, it's the back window not the top itself that is leaking. Personally, I was very unhappy to discover this as I have taken good care of the top and it still looks great and works very well. The body/glass shop across the street from my mechanic tried sealing the window stitching with the same hot silicone they use when replacing windshields and that may have slowed down the leak but it did not stop it.

I ended up taking the trunk lining out and laid the boot area with towels so that the water that did get in didn't do too much damage but that was at best just a stop gap move. The car is now at the body/glass shop getting the top replaced and I only hope that the new top will be as good as my factory original. The guy who runs the shop is a real car nut and takes way too long to do most jobs because he is such a perfectionist, but I don't really need the car for a couple of months so I am willing to trade the time for a great job.

Too bad though that whoever made this back window for Ford didn't make it up to the standards of the rest of the roof!
    Really seems like a factory defect in the window sealer....Took my wife's monday a week ago and got it back the next day...Like I had previously said, we opted for a very dark blue top in lieu of the white top. I also was using towels in the top boot so the trunk wouldn't get too wet but it really was just a stop gap as it was so bad that it still leaked into trunk...also has used duct tape and that didn't work...Oh well, it's all water over the top now but out almost $1100.
    If you look at the top on a new Mustang, it looks like the window is now one piece with the top rather than a separate piece like on our vintage vehicles. Too bad there's not an easier way to just replace the window but the guy doing mine says that it is such a pain to just change the window that insurance companies would rather save man hours and just replace the entire top! Oh well..as you said, water under the bridge!

Is the new top snug and dry and does it work as well as your factory top??
    Yes, snug & dry but too cold here to put it down yet....Installer said not to put down for at least a week....Top is made by Electron with same material as original.....Electron has a great site.
    Electron
  • shawnc2shawnc2 Member Posts: 12
    I'm thinking of trading my '02 F-150 for a mustang GT. My dilema is should I get a convertible. I would love to have one, but I currently don't have a garage to keep it in. I will likely be buying a house in a little over a year and will definitely have a garage by then. Bad weather isn't a concern as I have a Jeep Cherokee. The car I'm looking at is an '02 with 21k miles. Beautiful shape, truck is dry with factory boot in there and inside is perfect. Listed for 18995, which I think is a little high for the year. Also considering '03 coupe with 23k miles for $17,950. I'm concered about snow/ice on the rag top and problems with window seal like mentioned above. I live in Pittsburgh with changing seasons. Any thoughts on this? Also wondering about size difference of back seat between the two models.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I would go for the coupe. Maybe talk the person down a few hundred on the price. Soft tops are best kept inside. And the Mustang does not come with a roll bar. On perfect weather days, the drop tops are fun. Most days are however not perfect enough. Some people do become fanatics of soft top cars though, and will have the top down even in the rain. I have seen this, with an MG driving happily along in the rain.
    I found there is more fussing around with those tops to keep them in good condition, and security is always an issue. Fun factor is a plus, so you make the call on this one! Just think about living with it, and where it will be parked and such.

Good luck, and have fun! Loren
    Buy the convertible. The downside is very small when that top goes down on a sunny day. There is nothing like it...but if you have to ask too much, perhaps you are not a convertible person...in the end, it's your call.
  • darkfaytdarkfayt Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Mustang GT 1998. All of the sudden when I lock my doors and walk away from my car the alarm keeps going off until I unlock my door and leave it unlocked. Its like it does in in 30 sec. or 45 sec. from leaveing the locked car. Can anyone give me some info or help about this.

Monty
  • mustang24fanmustang24fan Member Posts: 51
    I live in southern Cali and we do not have too much rain here but if we do this really bugs me. About 6 months ago I discovered water behind the passenger seat on the carpet. I couldn't make out where is was coming from and just let it dry. Had the same problem a week later on a rainy day. I had it checked by ford and they couldn't find anything. Problem actually disappeared through the following rainy days. Just yesterday it has been raining again and this morning the carpet was drenched. The water seems to puddle up behind the passenger seat at the carpet, or better say below. All adjacent surfaces are dry (and I am talking dry, I have dust collecting there).
    I checked the top, and it is tight and not leaking (at least not that it would be noticeable). Any ideas?
  • bob121bob121 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at an 03 mustang gt manual transmision and an 04 mustang gt with manual trans, I can't find any information at new car dealerships or the library can anyone tell me were to look or what some of the differences are. By looks it doesn't seem like many.
    Thanks