Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

1363738394042»

Comments

• dlercherdlercher Member Posts: 3
    i have a 94 gt with 95000 miles on it can anyone tell me what it will do in the 1/4 mile it is stock and i also want to add a cold air in take does anyone know what the hp increase would be?
  • dlercherdlercher Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 gt 5.0 and i noticed that the lower grade gas the motor does not perform the way it should and it pings. but the higher grade it runs well with no pinging use the higher grade fuel.
  • kraftwagenkraftwagen Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering to buy a Mustang, 2001 model, has run over 85K miles.
    It will be great if I know, few questions that are popped up in my head now.
    Does the timing belt need to be changed around this time? What is the ideal miles it would have to be changed and what would be the cost of it?
    Are there any other factors that i need to consider before going for it in terms of maintenance?

Any suggestions will be highly helpful.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Mustangs use timing chains, not belts so no worries there.
  • kraftwagenkraftwagen Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for that info man.

Is there anything else that i need to be specific on checking before i go for the purchase?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Not that I'm aware of other than the usual stuff. Might get more details from a mustang specific website.
  • spqr4spqr4 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 Mustang GT Convetible. I want to put some protectant on the top but I am not sure whether it is made of vinyl or fabric and the protectants are rather specific and I don't want to put the wrong kind on. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.
  • mrbuddy94mrbuddy94 Member Posts: 1
    I have a electrical problem . car sat 4 about 6 years motor started, after a few starts it seems the starter went out replace starter still doing same thang CONFUSE
  • papasam1papasam1 Member Posts: 84
    You may want to check your exhaust for leaks and ensure it runs out the rearend. Check your speed odometer cable at both ends and replace as needed and good luck.
    what motor are we talking about, did you change the gas out in the car. sometimes rats will eat parts of wiring after that long so you will need to check for that. The other question is why did the car sit so long, this may be one of the reasons why it was sitting in the first place. Would need to know THE WHY.
    Well love with 120K under its belt I would start with a timing belt. I think the recommented milage is about 80K for this change or some where in this range. If the chain breaks it will cause you all kinds of problems. yes wash and reuse your K&N filter after you reoil it with the right oil. Yes you will need plugs and wires. Look under the hood on one of the stickers for the gap they are not pre-gapped. For you to ask these types of questions shows you are NOT a dump blonde Have a nice day.
    at 95K I would not be trying to fined out what it will do unless you have plans of rebuilding it soon. Understand that most mustangs have lived a mustangs life which only means they driven hard and put up wet alot. All in all maybe alot 15 seconds in the quarter but good luck at the end.
    peak performance calls for the best gas you can put in your car. The ping is from a lack of octane and could cause value train problem if the car is pushed hard. 89 octane in the lowest I would use in my stang and 91/92 on go hard days but thats just me.
    What you should know is about the cars driver, did he or beat the car up alot or was it just there everyday ride. Do they in fact have a love affair going on with the car or was it something they just used. People that love there mustangs can tell you every little thing about it, so ask a few questions and you wil know how they feel about the Mustang, Then you will know if they took good care or not.
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    I was hoping someone might give me some ideas as I have tried quite a few things. I have a 66 Mustang with a 289 2 barrel 3 speed manual. I had it fully restored back in 02 and have about 9,000 miles on it since. This past year each time I have taken it out at some point during my ride i loose roughly 75% of my power but only for a few miles. I loose it as fast as I get it back and have no clue what's causing it. I have drained all the gas out of my tank and have added all fresh gas, I have blown out the fuel filter, seems to be fine, I have replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, and still have this vanishing temporary power loss. Also on one of these vanishing power losses I turned off the key and let it sit for a while. When I tried to restart the car I killed the power in my battery. I jumped it and it ran fine so I also replaced my battery with a new one. I have cleaned the carb and linkage and everything appears to be fine with my linkage and butterfly, but was wondering if maybe it has something to do with the auto choke. Any advise? :sick:
  • mommamemommame Member Posts: 1
    I thought the 2004 had the 3.9? That's what I just read.