Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    The car you gutter rats! Seriously though, drive the car as stated above for the first thousand or so miles. Then drive it a bit harder and harder...but rememeber, harder does not mean dropping the clutch with the tach at 4500rpms. Hard 1st to 2nd to 3rd (if you've got the road) shifts that are done efficiently so as not to thrash the clutch/tranny. After all, we're trying to break in the motor here ladies, not the tires :-)

My GT (purchased new 7 mos ago) just turned 17,000 miles and it JAMS when compared to my friends whom has babied his for 2000 miles. They're like night and day.

ps
    I'd HIGHLY recommend a day of driving school at a track once you've hit 5k miles...after 8 hours on the track my Mustang felt more like a Cobra (older model of course) than a GT. It was like a new car, seriously. Don't know what that day did to it but its WAY quicker than it was before that class.

pps
    Is it worth the small effort to take the silencer off of the stock air filter? Sound cooler? Few HP gained?
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Midlifer, turns out that your interior package does *not* get the aluminum shifter knob. I checked on the Ford website, and the interior upgrade package specifies "GT leather shift knob". Sorry 'bout that...I could have sworn that the package came with the alumnimum knob. Guess I ought to be more careful before opening my big mouth... : )

Re the airfilter silencer, I took mine out, and definitely like it better that way. While I can't tell if there's a hp improvement or not (I'd go with *not*), there is a better throttle response, and the sound is definitley improved: louder at full throttle, but (even cooler if you ask me) more popping and gurgling when the rpms back down.

-John
  • Options
    midlifermidlifer Member Posts: 21
    I actually called my salesman today and he said it comes with leather now but mid year (Mach 1 Time maybe?)he thinks it will be part of the package. As for that silencer Deal,it sounds like that will be history this weekend. Thanks for the
    info on the silencer. Do you have a K&N filter? Does the silencer reside in that Canaster on the cool Air intake? Anyone know if its worth the $140.00 for the whole new Cool Air setup?
  • Options
    Worth It? I'd love to know as well. Pros vs Cons? Come on people, give me something to READ! :-)
  • Options
    americanflagamericanflag Member Posts: 400
    Regarding removing the silencer and installing a K&N air filter, I have been very happy since I did it on John's recommendation. K&N has a great website with good info on their filter versus a regular filter, the biggest controversy is the extra money and the filtration quality, there is a 300+ count thread on Edmunds about the K&N if you want to take a look. I love the way the intake sounds with the silencer removed and the K&N installed. Whether or not horsepower is increased, the result is you can really hear and feel the car take in the air. It reminds me almost of how my friend's 1970 Chevelle with Cowl Induction felt and sounded.

I have had knowledgeable people insist to me that cold air intake does not increase, and may even decrease horsepower, but I am still intrigued by K&N's intake systems, I also would like to know more. See Mustangworld.com for more on removing the intake.

The sound with the silencer removed is so pronounced that this weekend I had a little fun. I was driving around with a very nice girl and I asked her if she could hear the sound of the intake. She said yes as it was very pronounced. I then told a fib - I said it was the sound of the engine taking in air through the hood scoop. It was wishful thinking on my part perhaps.
  • Options
    GT4Me, as one who babies my car too much perhaps, I was very intrigued by your post on engine break-in. Do you think that if you were to take your car out against your friends, that the difference would show on your track time? Or is more a matter of feel and psychology?

Do you think I need to start winding my car out more? It has over 3000 miles, and to be honest I seldom take it to redline, or even to 5000.

I read somewhere that more important to engine life even more than proper oil changes was how hard you drove the car. It said that driving an engine in the upper range of its limit (below the redline) was hard on the engine.

So that's the other side. All the people out there who would be reluctant to buy a used GT because it was driven hard.
  • Options
    cuteeric17cuteeric17 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know where I can find a sketch of these new model Mustangs?
  • Options
    novoqnovoq Member Posts: 26
    new 5.0L Cammer and more....

http://media.ford.com/events/2002_SEMA.cfm

• Options
    Right after I posted that question, I went to goggle and found these two sites.

http://www.lovefords.org/features/04_mustang.htm

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0109_ponycar/

I wouldn't mind either of those desings.

• Options
    In driving both my friends and mine, there is a noticable difference in straight line performance. I can walk him in a straights where the drivers skill does not come into play as much as the track.

I think you may be misunderstanding me when I say drive it hard. I don't get in the car and floor it light to light. On the contrary, I NEVER drive aggressively in neighborhood areas where there are pedestrians. That is asking for a HUGE ticket, not to mention you could kill someone. I drive a lot of miles on the highway where I can drop into 4th at 90mph and jump on it. Also taking it to the track when I have the time is a great workout for the car and its engine.

Key is: If you take care of your car and drive it sensibly (within its mechanical limits) all is good. I had a very skilled driver take my car out on the track to prove that its not he car but the driver that matters. Let me tell you, the stock GT Mustang is more car than 99% of the people out there every tap into. This guy was passing 400hp M-series BMW's and modded WRX's with his skill as a driver, not with my car's engine.

Smooth shifts and fast accelerations don't hurt the car. Jumping on the brakes wears down pads, but thats why they are $89 bux for a great set. Redlining the engine is obviously not a good thing but remember your car has a rev limiter built in to protect itself.

So I'd say drive it fast, in controlled environments, (highly recommend a track class)and get a feel for the limits of yourself and the car. I bet you'll find that your Mustang is begging you to push it.

-Craig
  • Options
    gt4me has the right idea re break-in IMO. It's certainly good to baby the car in the initial stages, but you also have to run it hard to fully break it in (think of your baseball glove back when you were a kid). I've got about 5k on my GT, and these days when driving it, I really try to open it up (after warm-up) and let it run. I shift high, if only because of the power and of course that sweet sound at the upper rpm levels. It's like an automotive pipe organ.

I look forward to this spring when the autocross season starts around here! And based on Craig's descriptions/recommendations, I'm going to look into track days as well.

-John
  • Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I love the retro redesign, but the other one, in Motor Trend, looks too much like the new Mazda 626...Oops...I mean Mazda 6 to be real.

Retro, not evolution...PLEASE! Ford, do something right for a change!

Oh, and: Get rid of the recalls...
  • Options
    demonspeeddemonspeed Member Posts: 75
    on the highway go from 5th to 3rd... it'll be much more pleasant... unless you have the 3.23 gears wheras by the time you shift into 3rd, it's already gone... all I know for my 302 with 3.08's, 5th to 3rd at 65 works well... we'll see once I get my 3.55's put in on Friday how that is then
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will thank you again this weekend when I am "getting on it" and getting my revs up without guilt (of course in a safe area, I know we are all adults)! After reading your posts, I realize I probably have been babying the car more than necessary. Thanks!
  • Options
    I looked at the picture of your Mustang on Stangnet. Did you put in all the mods yourself?
  • Options
    I have a 2003 GT 5spd. and in forth gear 65mph i'm turning around 3000rpms with 3.27's stock with 200 miles on hit right now that is when i shift so i can't tell you anything higher as of yet. I had a 1985 G.T. 5.0 and changed the 2.91's? (memory going south)for 3.27's and it was perfect and thats how i feel about the current G.T.s 3.27s...perfect. Be careful you dont loose your first gear,it may be about 30' long with 3.55's? O.K. when your Hammering it ,but to much shifting when your not in the mood!! Just a thought.
  • Options
    I have gotten happier with the gearing then I was at first. I wish it was a little higher but not a lot, the Mach 1 for instance will have 3.55:1. If I change, it will probably be to this rather than 3.73:1.
  • Options
    Heh, I've never posted my GT on stangnet but it wouldn't surprise me if there were 100 people out there using the GT4Me handle on msg boards like this one.

Demonspeed, I'm usually into the 90mph range on the hwy so to drop to 3rd is a bit too high in the revs...but I do know what youre saying...love that vvVRROOOMMM!!!
  • Options
    jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Hey
    I've been lurking here for a few months, and last weekend I took the plunge and bought a 2003 V6 Stang. It's a Sonic Blue premium coupe with 5 speed. I've always liked them, and I was spending too much $ to maintain my old car.
    Seems like most people here have a GT, but the V6 is enough car for me, beside I live in the snow belt. I'll probably add dual exhaust and a K&N filter at some point.
    The other Stang in my family is a 88 GT ragtop owned by my folks. Great car too, but it doesn't get driven much.
    Later - Jeffer2
  • Options
    Nice catch on the V6. And don't let the GT guys get ya down. I've seen moded V6's take out GT's many times. I know a guy who has a Vortec tucked into his bone stock looking V6 and has a blast all weekend taking out sportier, stock, cars.

Welcome to the club and keep us posted on your mods!

-Craig
  • Options
    Ah, 55 is the limit on our express way... so i'm runnign around 65,so it's perfect to go to 3rd... ah... I'm not going with 3.73's due to the fact that I rarely make it to the track. I think i'm going to be plenty happy with everything, as long as i'm running consistent 13's, i'll be fine. Check out the link here to see all my mods..

http://stangnet.cardomain.com/id/demonspeed

• Options
    Sweet ride man! I love the older body style. I've been looking for an LX 5.0 in good shape for years. Really nice Stang!
  • Options
    GT4me, I was looking at the pictures of Demonspeed's Mustang, sorry. The link was posted on his description page. Great looking car, you guys should check it out!
  • Options
    that is one smoking Pony.
  • Options
    What do you think about the steering wheel on the 2002-03 GT's, it is the two color/two piece leather covered one. I am just wondering, I notice a lot of people put a steering wheel cover over it, what do you think?
  • Options
    Thanks guys, it's a work in progress with my limited income since i've got more important priorities besides the car, but it's always nice showing up the ignorant import guys on campus...
  • Options
    On the 2002 Charcoal Gray interior (only I think), the steering wheel is totally gray. I like this better than the 2-tone on the other colors myself. What's your interior color, 'flag? I know you have the leather, but did you get the gray?

-John
  • Options
    the steering wheel with the graphite leather interior is two tone, grey and a very light grey. At first I liked it, but it doesn't seem quite sporty enough, I think that all black would look better. Maybe I'll put a black cover over it, my unscientific random survey done when walking past Mustangs in parking lots indicates many owners do this. I'm just not sure if McQueen would approve of the two tone thing.
  • Options
    I guess the all-one-color gray wheel only comes with the cloth interior like I have, or that they changed it for 2003 (mine's an '02 and if I recall, was the only color scheme that had the monotone wheel coloring). Another benefit of having cloth I guess, along with my seatback Mustang ponies being embroidered in white... : )

I still miss the 94-98 black interior though...

-John
  • Options
    jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Hey folks,
    I have a 2003 V6/5-speed with about 170 miles on it. Sometimes when I start her up I hear a thunk from the engine compartment when she's warming up. I start it up, the RPMS go up, then come down a little, then may go up again, then go down to normal idle and then sometimes a "thunk".
    I just was wondering if this is normal or is something wrong? Otherwise the car is great!
    Thanks for your help. - J
  • Options
    I've never heard of anything like that. But again I'm not very mechanically inclined. But I'll peruse some forums and see what I can come up with.

-Craig
  • Options
    Yeah, UGH, I usre hope Ford has no recalls on the '04 Mustang.
  • Options
    Anyone know how common car theft is of Mustangs? I park in a decent, but public, area. Would you recommend using something like the club?
  • Options
    All you need to do is hacksaw the steering wheel (which takes all of 5 seconds since they're only hard plastic)on one side and off it comes. I watched a 20/20 special on car thiefs a few years back and watched a guy bypass Club and alarm (with ignition kill switch) and speed off under 30 seconds. Was pretty crazy.

The Club is more of a deterent, as most anti-theft devices are. Pretty much common knowledge that if a seasoned car thief wants to vic your ride he will regardless of what you're using to thwart him.

My advice, get full coverage insurance, INCLUDING GAP INSURANCE (which covers the difference your car is worth than what you owe on it, if applicable). Costs a bit more but you'll get plenty more Z's at night knowing your ride is protected from all acts of God.
  • Options
    the new GT? Were we right?
  • Options
    Sorry for the late response,I've Been away from the (work)Computer for a week. I love The 03 True blue G.T. Thanks for asking. Everywhere i go someone trys to get me to Race.How much longer before i get to smoke someone? Still only have 800 miles on it. I changed oil @ 500 miles as someone mentioned.
    I did let it run a bit a few nights ago,a little over 4000rpms in 1st 2nd 3rd. It felt like it really wanted to pull hard after 3500 my friend in the passengers seat was pinned back with a big smile on his face,(he will have a G.T. soon!!) Very surprised with the good road manners (for a Mustang)and it really Handles!!! better than my previous German cars.But the thing that really strikes me is the Sound and its looks ,real head turner!!Had it @ 100mph on the freeway 5AM. yesterday 5th gear...not even working...could not feel the Speed at all ,Amazing!! The K&N filter is in...and Cat Back Magna flows are soon to come. It turns out this place i have seen on the Mustang Webs (Houston Performance) is 5 miles from my House,great Mustang shop,They know there Stangs!! P.S. Get the Upgrade Pedals,they are so sticky it feels like they are part of your foot!!
  • Options
    Just wondering what you guys' insurance payments are for your GTs?
  • Options
    My insurance is $2100 a year for full coverage in Florida. I'm 28 and have a perfect (knock on wood) driving record.
  • Options
    evendalevendal Member Posts: 7
    did you go with for your first oil change. I have asked this question many time and I get lots of different answers. I asked the ford dealership about going with synthetic on the first oil change and they said why not. Other say that we should stay with the mineral base oils for 10000 KM to allow the rings to seat properly. I only have 500 KM on my '02 GT and it is in storage now for the winter but I will be changing the oil first thing in the spring. I only have six months to wait @%$@#!%^!%. Maybe you could share any information you might have. Thanks
  • Options
    please though don't mention the pedals or anything about the interior group upgrade, I get envious LOL. Seriously, I want those pedals and the metal ball handle.

Evandale, my advice is move to Florida, you can drive the Mustang year round. From what I read on the oil forums, if I was in Canada I would go for synthetic if I was dealing with cold weather starts, after using conventional for about 10K. In the warm climate I am in, I am staying with conventional because I plan on changing the oil at frequent intervals (2500 miles) because I have some short commutes that do not give the engine a chance to get warned up, contributing to the buildup of impurities in the oil.
  • Options
    My local tire store told me to get good replacement tires for the GT (largest size that will fit on 17") would cost $1150! Is this true?
  • Options
    That sounds about right for tires/balancing all around. At least for a very good set of rubber. Although you can probably do it for around $800 total and still have the same handling you have now on the stock tires. I'd get out the sunday paper and shop the stores. Cut-throat business as any that tire racket is. Good luck and let us know what happens. I've only got about another 10k left on mine :-/
  • Options
    Regular Castrol GTX (5W20 as recomendid on fill cover? odd Weight?)At the local Autozone they only had that weight in Castrol GTX ,which i always have used and Pennzoil.I've always done my own oil changes @ 2500miles so i think it would get $$$ to spend $40.00 on every change.What i did do though is go with the Mobil 1 Filter $11.00. I have not counted out going to Synthetic yet i thought before next change i would ask around. It sounds like if you plan on keeping the G.T. in the garage for the winter and keeping it for a long time, and dont rack up a lot of miles on commuting as i do ,i would go with synthetic.I think this car for me will be a 2-3 year deal and on to something more practical. If things go well it might be put in the back of the Garage for a long time and use it as a weekend cruiser.Trying to be a family man and a kid is not easy.
  • Options
    thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    Check www.tirerack.com out. They have a lot of different brands and you can probably find something for around $100 a tire.
  • Options
    Since we are on the topic, I have been going with a place called Tires Plus, they use an oil filter that is a Firestone but is actually made by Wix. Does anyone know if this is a good filter? I am of the attitude that nothing is too good for my baby (hence the 2500 mile oil changes), but I don't want to waste money either. Also, the oil they use is Kendall 10W-30. I understand most conventional oils are pretty good. If anyone wants a workout, visit the synthetic oil and also oil filter threads, they are like 4000 posts each!

Thank you for the feedback on the tires, my car is new, so I am not in need of them yet, but when they said $1150, I must admit cold chills of fear when down my back. I feel better now after reading your posts. They said that Mustang tires will probably only go 20k - 30K miles, that seems low to me.
  • Options
    jtkz13jtkz13 Member Posts: 51
    depends on driving style. I drive my 94GT like a madman and i get on average 10K out of my rear tires, but I have 3.73's and wide Nitto Drag Radials. The new Eagle F1's should get ~40K on average driving. My dad's 00 5 speed GT F1's are bald at 40K, and he drives pretty easy, with a couple trips to the drag strip.
    If anyone has any specific questions I have been a mustang dork for over 2 yrs, and read tons of stuff everyday on mustangs, so any questions on mods shoot.

And FWIW I have a 94 GT 5.0 5 speed, Laser Red, decent amount of go-fast mods and many more to come.

My pics/info in here
    http://www.superford.org/registry/index.php?vID=631
  • Options
    Hey jtkz13, what do you think are the best mods for a Mustang (GT) coupe?
  • Options
    leftywaynleftywayn Member Posts: 15
    Some have asked about a deep sounding throaty exhaust that's not too loud. Last month I installed a Magnaflow catback on my 01 Cobra. All I can say is, it's pure heaven. Not much louder than stock. But once you're above 4k RPM, it sounds fantastic. I've gotten many compliments on the sound so far.

UPR products, and MGW are 2 good manufactures of Mustang interior parts.

http://www.uprproducts.com/dynamic_index.asp

http://www.mgwltd.com/default.htm

Another great early mod is either a Pro 5.0 or Steeda Triax shifter. I have the Pro 5.0

Here is a link to my photo’s

http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/buildalbum-cgi?ACCOUNT=2589&KEY=

• Options
    gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    I just bought a Bassani off road x-pipe for a 5spd (it fits 99-03 5spd cars)
    I wont fit my 02 gt auto car anybody interested?
    e-mail me at gsxrter1994@yahoo.com
  • Options
    gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    I put 2 chamber flow masters on my Gt and it sounds great.
    Best mod for the money so far and waiting for my new x pipe.
    lol