Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• americanflagamericanflag Member Posts: 400
    that the first thing they do is go after the K&N. Heaven forbid they actually admit it is their fault. I have a suggestion for you if you get flak from the dealer on this, BTW. It worked for me...hope you get it fixed, I don't think it is your K&N.
  • demonspeeddemonspeed Member Posts: 75
    100% that it's not the K&N or the silencer. A K&N will NOT void the warranty, just put the silencer back in to be on the safe side, hell, put the stock filter back in too if you're that worried.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A ping may sound similar to an exhaust leak or valve noise, but a ping is distinctly IRREGULAR in nature, random tinkling, like a chain being dragged under the engine. It is not rthymic and regular like an exhaust leak, which will make noise at the cylinder firing only.

A ping at WOT is not good if it sustains for more than a fraction of a second.
  • americanflagamericanflag Member Posts: 400
    the new exhaust on? I remember you said you did not have it welded, but only bolted. Could it be that the exhaust is not sealed?

Also, just curious, since you replaced the K&N with the OEM air filter, can you tell a difference? If I cannot obtain a filtercharger cover for my K&N, I am going back to the OEM. I just don't feel there is enough protection there.

I also am going to do an oil analysis at the end of the month, to check the Si level. If it is at all high, the K&N is gone, never to return...

But innocent until proven guilty I say. We will see. I do not want to condemn the K&N without evidence.
    You might somehow be associating a knock of the tail pipe against the frame where it goes over there axle. It's VERY close and mine will rattle at certain rpms.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Nope, not the exhaust...it's very securely bolted (I did check) and I did start getting the noise before I swapped it out.

Shifty is on-target...it's a irregular noise (so no gasket issues) that only occurs when I shift from 3rd to 4th under load. It sounds like lifter clatter on a pushrod. Occurs only occasionally, and when it does it's momentary.

Doing a search on Stangnet turns up a bunch of threads of people experiencing the exact same situation with their 4.6s... : (

Regarding this, there was some talk that gas companies switch to a more highly-oxygenated formulation in the winter, and that this might be a possible cause (I have no idea re the validity of this claim). My detonation did in fact start late fall/early winter, so makes me wonder....gentlemen?
  • gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    A 75 year old woman pulled out in traffic and drilled me in my '02 GT! W00t! I must say that it was a pretty serious wreck (no one hurt thank god) but that car is just a Tank. I was able to turn into her and only clip my right side (both quarter panels, door and mirror are fooked) so thank god the airbags didn't pop out. I just thought it would be a neat introspective into crashing one of our fine automobiles! Enjoy and stay safe!

ps
    Am Flag...yes, Florida IS the Car Crash capital of the world...I've lived here for 11 years and am surprised that this is only my first collision.
    Time for a Stalker bumper and hood :D

http://www.cervinis.com
    Um...I just may :-)

Thanks D!
  • stvdmanstvdman Member Posts: 62
    The reason...COST. The current mustang uses the same basic engine (4.2 derived from 3.8). So there would be not retooling for alot of things like bellhousings, motor mounts, etc.. Plus the electronics packages would work and teh ECM would just need a "re-flash" for the whole package to work out. The V-6 stang will always be CO$T conscious.

Also, I believe this engine will have more torque, horsepower is nice but it takes torque to make horspower and the more torque you have the more :) will be plastered on your face.
  • sonofashotgunsonofashotgun Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Anyone seen an estimated MSRP on this baby of a Tang. Dang, this looks finger lickin' good! Please let me hear that the V8 starts at a modest price and not around $45000 as I've heard so far. The Mustang hasn't looked this good since 1967. I WANT IT, PLEASE SEND A SILVER COATED BEAUTY TO SWEDEN! You can have one of our Volvos, who said we don't benefit from trade!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    that Mustang prices will be close to current prices. That should mean GT coupes stickering in the lo-mid 20s and loaded GT convertibles perhaps a little over $30k.

$45k should get a Cobra convert when they're out in '05-'06.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• sdiorisdiori Member Posts: 20
    ...ever seen T-Tops put on a current Mustang or possibly seen it done?
    I've seen sunroofs on the SN-95s, but never T-tops. I'd bet that few people do it...probably just cheaper to buy a convertible.

Try a search on Stangnet.com though...I'd bet *someone* has tried this.
  • bxd20bxd20 Member Posts: 68
    Will the 2003 SVT Cobra be carried over into 2004 ? I am NOT talking about the next generation Mustang Cobra, I know that is years off.

What do you people think of the collectability of the 2003 Cobra? I like it a lot - I also like the way the next generation is looking. Part of me thinks that the 2003 Cobra will hold its value and become a collector car whereas the 2005 GT will suffer from high production numbers. Initially they may be pricey, but I'd guess that 10-15 years down the road the 2003 Cobra will be worth a much higher percentage of its original sticker than the 2005 GT. Opinions??
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I would agree, from a numbers standpoint, a lower production number is the best way to ensure that a car has a chance to become a collectible, but what are the numbers?

I am new to this whole 'Tang conversation. If they make more than 30k Cobras, I wouldn't hold your breath for it to become a true collector's car.

Current cars that have a chance are the super low production ultra-cars from Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW (Z8), Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc...the same old players.

Other cars that have a chance:

Mini Cooper (especially S) - 20k built a year total, maybe 7-8k model S. A well-preserved copy will likely hold value and potentially build value if the car is discontinued.

Toyota MR2 - 5k made a year, not likely to be continued past 2003...ugly car, but decent enough. Exclusive numbers makes it a decent enough bet.

Honda S2000? maybe.

SVTs? not likely...too many made.

I don't see a whole lot of modern cars that will be able to keep their value above a typical depreciation slide. A Cobra should hold better than a GT however...just my guess.

Then again, if the new model completely over-shadows the older styles...the older bodies might lose value rather quickly. The opposite is true when manufacturers build less appealing models. (mid-90 and earlier Hondas are more sought after than new ones for mod-freaks, due to build dynamics and basic styling preferences.)

Just my 2-cents.

Still impressed with the raw beauty of the upcoming 'Stang. The V6 would be the only one I could afford or would want...being a bit of a greenie myself. Mileage under 20 would just hurt me too much.
  • bxd20bxd20 Member Posts: 68
    For what it's worth:
    over the past several years, about 10,000 Cobras have been made per year. i don't see them letting that number go sky high. maybe 15,000.

i guess that's more than, say Buick Grand Nationals. but just as the GN was the cream of a dying crop, so is this Cobra.

just some thoughts as i consider buying one.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    if they sell 10k Cobras a year, count on a good representation of holding its value well in a strong market...style counts (many Ferraris do not carry any significant additional value) but rarity is the first requirement, then age, then style...that is my thoughts.

As time continues to pass, I am considering the Mustang more and more. Maybe a V6, but I would be buying it for looks and not guts anyways...and my budget doesn't cross the $20k line very well at this point.
    Anyone in here??

I just wanted to update that I've traded my '02 Mineral Grey GT for and '03 in True Blue. The '03 actually has a better safety rating than the '02 so I am saving $50 a Month in insurance! Now that's cool!!

It wasn't easy to find a True Blue with the Std Rims and no interior upgrade package but after much searching I did find one.

Hope you're all enjoying your Stangs!

-Craig
  • cwhite5cwhite5 Member Posts: 3
  • cwhite5cwhite5 Member Posts: 3
    being you'd just bought the 02, did you lose much money during the trade?
  • meaghan736meaghan736 Member Posts: 5
    How long do you guys think ford will keep the rebates going? the apr/cash back is supposed to end on 5/5, but I have been to three ford dealerships in the past 3 weeks and they have all told me that these cars would move fast cause of the rebate....and now I have dealers calling me every day now wanting to deal with me....how long should I hold out???? (I live on Long Island and I want a manual transmission which is hard to find here bc no one wants one due to all the damn traffic...)
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Meaghan - just get the V-8 GT with the 5-speed; you won't regret it.

What do you call the Mustang V-6 with the auto trans? A rental.

Ok, Ok, - sure you can spend the time, energy, and extra bucks to make the V-6 scream - but why when the V-8 is such a good deal?

But, no matter which engine you get with the 5-speed - you HAVE to junk the factory shifter and get an after market replacement like the Steeda Tri-Ax or the Pro 5.0 which I purchased; there are several more that are also good. They cost from $150-200 for the kit. Then have the shift kit installer throw in some Redline trans oil at the same time and you will be One Happy Camper.

Good luck!
  • meaghan736meaghan736 Member Posts: 5
    I would love a GT but couldn't afford the insurance, would be about triple......I don't know who in their right mind would buy it in auto, but 3-4ths of the cars on this island are!
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    a 2001 or 2002, in the $16-18k area, probably with less than 15k miles on it. Still under factory warranty, 3-yr/36k miles.

What's the tab on a new V6 with 5-speed, around $14-15k after rebate?

Drive a demo V-8 and you won't go back!

As the saying goes...everybody drives a used car!
    gt4me, congrats on the new Mustang...I have the exact same one, just in an '02 version.

I enjoy the rarity of the "standard" GT wheels these days, now that everyone and their brother get the Bullitts. Though I will say that I REALLY wish Ford would make those V6 polished wheels (with the exposed lugs) in a 17 inch version for the GT; they look really good I think.
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Hey It's a been a while since I've posted. I still have the 03 V6. She has a minor scratch or two on her from our Wisconsin winter, but she's fine otherwise.
    I may get a job in Tempe, AZ and I read that the Pheonix metro area has the most car thefts in the US.
    Anyone here live there, and what are your thoughts on owning a Mustang there, insurance rates, etc. I can only get so much info from city websites.
    If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.
    -Jeffer2
  • tru3483tru3483 Member Posts: 1
    Hello people, I've never posted here before but had to after I saw the new mustang at the auto show.

Let me begin by saying the thing is madness(yeah it does have a clear roof)and it looks like Eleanor! THey had the MACH 1 and '03 Cobra sitting next to the "concept" GT and it made them look like has beens (think: the 5.0 next to a new Mustang)! I know, there is a great possibility the '03 Cobra may be worth more in the longrun than the new one and this is where the debate begins...whether to buy the '03 Cobra or just wait until '04. THis is a HARD decision because its beauty vs value.

Unfortunately, the FORD corp is still very hush hush about the whole thing(either they're doing this as a marketing ploy to create more buzz or the're still in the dark). The only thing they are saying is that the exterior body will look very similar to the concept car but the interior will be a bit differet...how? "they don't know." Also, the price will not go up much more(cough) and it's an '05 being released in 2004. They aren't saying IF they will release a V6 or WHEN the Cobra and drop top will come out. We've come to the conclusion that the concept car is the Cobra version b/c a 400 hp, supercharged engine be too much for a GT.

So, with ony a 5 HP difference, is the new Pony worth buying over the '03 Cobra? THis remains to be seen. The only thing that is a fact: This car will turn heads!
    OK...I purchased my new GT on the Ford Z-plan (employee purchase plan). My father worked for 35 years for Ford Motor Company. The Trade in on my '02 wasn't so hot 14,500k but the rebates PLUS the Zplan price ate up all my negative equity. I dropped my insurance by $50 a month (as mentioned above) and am saving $$ in the new one!? Cool eh!?

John_324, I have the Bullit style rims on my car...not the new bright chrome. I should have been more specific I guess.

My Plan: Drive this for two years and trade in for whatever becomes of the Cobra.

My Reality: Drive this for two years and have to trade in on a Windstar...Getting married in July. Hehe...

PS
    YES INSTALL A NEW SHIFTER...I live in florida so I dropped by Steeda in Ft. Lauderdale last week and picked up the Tri-Ax. I'm very bad with tools (ya, my dad was the gifted one) and had zero issues on the install. Just have the right size sockets/wrench and its a breeze!

vvvVVRROOOOMMMmmmm!!
  • app1nagapp1nag Member Posts: 15
    In June of 2001 I purchased a pre-owned 99 convertible GT (AUTO TRANS) with 4850 miles. At that time I had no problem leaving a patch now and then. Not so now. The performance of the car just doesn't feel the same as when I first bought it. Occasionally it doesn't start on the first try and when I floor it there is a bit of hesitation. I am new to this discussion board and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Neil
    Air filter? Fuel Filter? I'm not very techy but I know all of my past "hesitation" issues with any car have been some kind of intake/exhaust/fluid flow issue.
  • checkmecheckme Member Posts: 73
    This car is very exciting. I cannot wait until it is released.
    from a friend who went to the NYC Auto show last week that the new GT's will have a supercharger/intercooler like the current Cobras. The rep from Ford told him that we'd see this car for sale this October/November (2003) as a 2004 model costing around 27kMSRP. Cobra will be pushing upwards of 500hp when it is realeased...they had no comment on that date or even a specific year. But from the horses mouth...
  • newton1959newton1959 Member Posts: 1
    HAS ANYONE SEEN THE COBRA ON THE SVTOA SITE? IS IT THE 04 OR AN 03? IT SAYS IT'S AN 04 BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE ONE AT THE NY AUTO SHOW. STILL HAS THE 03 BODY STYLING. VERY NICE PAINT. NEW MYSTICHROME COLOR-SHIFTING PAINT FOR OUTSIDE AND COLOR-SHIFTING LEATHER INSERTS ON FRONT & REAR SEATS. ONLY 1000 TO BE PRODUCED WITH THIS PAINT JOB. HAS ANYONE SEEN ANY OTHER PICTURES?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Please turn your "caps lock" off. No need to shout, we can hear you just fine.

Regarding the new body/retro styled Mustang: I was under the impression that it wouldn't hit the showrooms until next spring as a late '04, early '05 model. I've also heard the new Cobra will lag behind the introduction by 1 model year (making the new Cobra an '05 or '06 car).

So I would imagine that the car on the SVTOA site is, in fact, an '04.
    As rorr says, I think the Cobra in question is in fact the 2004.

I believe the mystichrome paint job is part of the "40th Anniversary" package only for Cobras...GT and V6 versions will have lemans hood stripes. Never cared for the colorshifting paint myself, but I like stripes on pony cars... : )

However, I am a little dissapointed that Ford is choosing to commemorate the Mustang 40th birthday with warmed-over current designs, rather than using it to introduce the new design. Oh well..

_John
    rather than introducing the new 'Stang prematurely and run into the problems they had with early Escapes and Foci.

New design will be on the streets in fall '04.

.....wouldn't a 40th anniversary of a car introduced as a 1964-1/2 be a......2004-1/2????

Hmmmm.....seems like a spring 2004 intro would be about perfect for the new Mustang.
  • argentargent Member Posts: 176
    Ford has never been able to decide whether the original Mustang was a '64 1/2 or a '65. It was introduced in April 1964, which was the tail end of the normal '64 model year, but I think the official documentation listed all of them (even before the changeover that substituted the 289 for the 260, etc) as '65s. Hence the anniversary confusion.
    all the 64 1/2s were titled as '65s, a buddy in the class ahead of mine got one in '64. The official introduction of the new '05 production version will be on April 17, '04, the 40th anniversary date, so in that sense all '05s will be 40th anniversary Mustangs (thery'll be identical to the car introduced in April '04).

So who do you think will get the badges?

I guess I just want to see the "40th anniversary" badges on the new one (since the old design got the 35th ones)...not that it really matters, but I've thought that paring the 40th anniversary with the launch would make for one cool advertising campaign. : )
    There is no such thing as a 64 & 1/2 Mustang. That's made up by collectors, media, etc. The factory designates them officially as 1965s. Back then, in the 60s, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, it was very unusual to introduce a model year so early.
    Well, if that's the case, a 40th anniversary car would by definition have to be a 2005 model.
    That's correct, if you go by model year. If you go by introduction date, which WAS a big deal with the Mustang, than it could be a 2004. I mean, this is just a car, you can play with the numbers without changing the course of world history :) Ford made the car, they can call it whatever they want whenever they want.
  • argentargent Member Posts: 176
    Lee Iacocca was very big on mid-year ("XX 1/2") introductions for certain models. Before the Mustang there were the Falcon Futura and then the Futura Sprint. A way to pep up the post-winter sales blues or something.
    Iacocca was a marketing genius, I'll give him that much.
    Father of the minivan (don't know how I feel about that though...)
    the father of the minivan. Iacocca did dream up the idea of tarting up the Falcon with a sportier body and calling it the Mustang.

I knew as soon as I wrote that someone would correct me with the specifics... ; ) But I did mean it more generally...

But who was the guy responsible for the design of the Mustang as it appeared in 1964?? I read it once I recall but have since forgotten.
  • jkeith1jkeith1 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at a 99 gt-beautiful to look at and drive but can ya'll tell me what kind of problems we can expect if we should get it?