Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• madmax9madmax9 Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like a tuneup is in order. My auto 95 can roast tires easy..
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    jkeith1, in my experience, the Mustang is an fairly reliable car overall, but possessed of minor, if irritating, build-quality issues (an unintended retro feature of the car it seems).

My 2002 GT squeaks over bumps (normal, says Ford), clunks into second gear, the A/C compressor makes a "shinck" noise as its clutch goes in and out, the driver's side window squeaks noisely as it goes down and just recently the car has started making a ticking noise that I think might be a tiny exhaust leak (getting it checked out soon).

Not major problems, but annoying nonetheless. However, when I fire her up and hear the exhaust roar, all is forgiven... : )

-John
  • gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    my '02 did the same thing with regards to the 2nd gear "Clunk". I've installed a Steeda Tri-Ax on my '03 which cleaned a lot of that up. Can't understand WHY it helped as it is just a shifter but whatever...

PS
    Anyone know about how long you should go until cleaning a K and N Air filter? Oh ya, and HOW do I clean it?

Thanks!
  • epicadventureepicadventure Member Posts: 3
    My friends 25th Anniversary mustang is an '89 if that helps.

40th ~ '04
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    Most autoparts stores should carry a cleaning kit for them and they have instructions on it. Its pretty simple.
  • argentargent Member Posts: 176
    Chief designer on the Mustang was Hal Sperlich; chief engineer was Don Frey.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Cleaning intervals are at 50k unless you drive on dirt roads etc...
  • larrylove711larrylove711 Member Posts: 9
    I have a '99 with 65K miles on it...NO problems whatsoever. Just keeping the fluids changed regularly....and peel everynow and then.

Dropped in a K&N last winter....will convert to dual exhaust and 17" wheels/tires this summer....the way it runs, I'm looking to have her for the long haul.

Mine is black, no wing. Looks smooth as silk!
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    just jumped into a Hyundai Elantra GT. Pretty good car for the money.

Heading back to school for my masters, so I needed to make sure that my car was under budget and under warranty...didn't want to risk the next year waiting for the new 'stang.

Good luck to you all. I hope this Mustang is everything it looks like it will be. I will be on the fence, waiting for graduation and a fat paycheck on the other end...once I am there, maybe I will be back in the market for a car.
  • hammyztshammyzts Member Posts: 9
    How does everyone feel about the current lineup of these three models? I recently read a motor trend interview with guys from SVT during a testing of the new GT supercar. They said they were getting a lot of bad press for aiming the GT so high on the food chain, ie. Ferrari and Saleen. The ford guys came back with the concept that the '06 Cobra would compete directly against the corvette and viper, and that the GT supercar needed to go to a bigger target. This is a great time to be a Ford fan and ultimately a sports car fan. If they are planning the '06 Cobra to compete with the Corvette and Viper, that means the '06 GT will be something along the lines of the current '03 Cobra. Another source hinted at a permanent model slated above the GT, similar to the Bullitt, and Mach. This will get the '03 engine treatment, and it won't change names year to year. It will be likely be Boss or Jet. Either way, I think the new Mustang is going to be quite a player, and I think with all the time they are spending developing it will surely make it amazing, and not just a rebadged car, like the GTO, which it will annihilate.
    than the current one. They need to keep one performance model affordable to the general public.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I agree. If Ford tries to take the Mustang too upscale, the only thing they'll annihilate are Mustang sales. It sells because it's affordable power wrapped within a decent package.
    In addition, the marketing department will want keep the new GT close to the current one power-wise. From Ford's point of view, why up the horsepower all at once when you can bump it up incrementally over the years, generating renewed interest (and hopefully increased sales) each time?

Also, soaring insurance premiums helped kill the muscle cars the first time around; I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again soon...
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Regarding gt4me's posts above...why does the 03 have a better safety rating then the 02??
    Maybe the better headrests? Aren't they more adjustable, larger and could actually help in the event of a crash?

My '02 has headrests straight out of 1967... : (

-John
    I have no idea why?? But I'm not arguing about the savings!
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I'd be interested to know if there are any safety rating differences between the 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 models.
  • stang03stang03 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an 03 GT convertible Centennial Edition - black leather interior, black top, two-tone leather interior. sweeet. can you tell I'm excited? "mid life" - yes, "crisis" - no. So now what, how do I "enhance"? gt4me you mentioned a new shifter. I'm a novice here, what's the difference? does anyone recommend a bra? any other recommendations?
    Welcome to the club...Mustangs are special cars, and are unlike anything else currently available.

I'm not an expert on performance parts, but as far as getting a bra, if you do get one, read the instructions that come with it.

Most people who have them don't realize that you're not supposed to keep them on the car 24-7 (unless you want the two-tone look), and leaving a wet bra (from rain, etc.) on the car is terrible for the paint.

-John
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Has anyone here opted for this ? Does the $3K apply ? Would u mind sharing some financial details ? It sounds interesting. Thank you.
    Thanks for the advice John. Any ideas about brake covers?
    Excuse my ignorance...what's a brake cover?!

I'd say overall, enjoy your new Mustang as is for a while...it's a great car right out of the box, and if you wait a little while before modding, you'll appreciate the mods more. I waited about a year before doing anything on mine, and after getting to know a car for a year, it made the mods (esp. the exhaust) really seem a big, cool change! : )

-John
  • NSORICNSORIC Member Posts: 33
    welcome to the club... i'm on my second mustang... regarding the bra, all i can say is, bras aren't meant for cars... regarding the shifter, i would recommend the pro-5.0 shifter (short throws, positive stops, and you will never miss 3rd gear again on an upshift, check it out at http://www.pro-50.com/)... enjoy!
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    have the installer (or you) throw in some Redline syn trans oil. Not cheap fluid, but worth it.

I did the Pro 5.0/Redline mod and even to my feeble old brain there's a great improvement in shifting.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    So, Ford Fans, any of you attending Ford Centennial here in Detroit? It's looking to be a blast...
    If you want to protect the frontend you could get one of those clear stick on deals. I saw some installed on one of those car shows on Tv. It kind of looked like and went on like window tint except it was clear.
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Re the "brake covers" - I guess what I meant was dust covers for the brakes/wheels.

Are they worth it? I heard from one dealer (re my wife's BWM)that dust covers could cause the brakes to overheat and warp the rotors. Does anyone have any experience with these covers?
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Hey,
    I have the 03 V6 with 5-speed. It's all stock, but I'd like to get dual exhaust and a CAI.
    Has anyone had problems with the dealer claiming their MODS have voided the warranty?

I haven't had any huge problems with my Stang - great car. A couple rattles, but the roads around here are not very good. Only issue is sometimes CDs don't like to eject from the CD changer (no I don't stick labels on my CDRs). I should tell my dealer about this next time I go in for an oil change. If I had to do it over again, I would've looked for a car without the Mach 460.
    Thanks for you help. - Jeffer2
    Shifter: The Pro 5.0 is nice...but please read the forums at stangnet.com You'll see that many people (including myself) who've had both very much favor the Steeda Tri-Ax.

MODS vs Factory Warranty: Here is the deal...if you install a supercharger/NOS and blow your engine, obviously you're out of luck. But if you install neon lights and your transmission falls out of the car, the dealer will honor your warranty. They must prove that what you did (MOD) had a direct/indirect effect on the issue your car is having with any mechanical breakdowns.

Best of luck to all here...be safe and happy motoring!

-Craig vvvvVVRROOOOOMMMMMmmmm!
  • ponyrider2ponyrider2 Member Posts: 29
    Hi

I am thinking of buying either a 92 or 93 Gt Conv. What are some your opinions of them? Pros vs Cons of years?
    What MPG would I expect for a normally driven car? ( no racing or fast driving )
    What is a good price for a under 20K car in like new condition?

Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated

Thanks alot!! ponyrider2
    I'd get the 92. That was the last year for forged pistons.

I see people asking insane amounts of money for real low mileage mustangs in the mustang forums. A lot of them want in the $10k-$15k range and a few wanted even more. I have no idea if they are actually getting that but there is no way I would pay that kind of money for one. Its not like mustangs are hard to find or something. I'd rather find a nice one for around $4k-$6k with more miles on it.
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    Didn't know where to post this, so pardon if it's off-thread. Mustangs figured prominently in Ford's centennial celebration over the weekend. At the celebration they had a car on display from each model year since 1903. If you're a Ford fan, the Detroit Free Press is selling a cool poster of the 101 cars. I won't post a link (don't want to violate rules against advertising) but you can find the poster at www.freep.com.

Cheers
    --LimpyBoy
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    I need some help. I am renting a new Mustang not sure exactly what year. I would imagine less than two years old. It will be a standard coupe. Could anyone tell me if the inside of the trunk will hold a couple average size suit cases. Thank you
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone have the Mach MP3 deck in their 2002/03 Stang?
    If yes, what do you think of it?
    Is it a direct replacement for the 6Cd changer in the Mach 460 system?

Thanks for your help. - J
  • totheendoftimetotheendoftime Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know which V6 engine Ford as decided to use in the upcoming mustang. I'm kind of hoping for the 4.0 SOHC that I have in my Ranger.

James
    James, I think you're right...I've heard the V6 will in fact be the 4.0 SOHC, rated at around 215 hp. Not bad at all.

Happy 4th of July to everyone out there...and what better holiday to enjoy the slice of Americana that is the Mustang!

-John
  • aceman65aceman65 Member Posts: 1
    So when will the new retro look be available to the Public-2004 or 2005?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Conventional wisdom (in TH???) says April 2004 (fortieth anniversary of release of first "64-1/2" model). Probably early fall of 2004 at the latest. I don't know that anybody has seen anything official from FMC yet.
  • brian3240brian3240 Member Posts: 6
    There are app. 120, 2003 Mustangs "on hold" in the Rouge (Dearborn) plant. Some "minor quality problem".
    Mine is one of 'em!
    Anybody know what the trouble is?
    Knowing Ford, a "minor quality problem" probably means something like cars have been blowing up when revved past 5k rpms... ; )

-John
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    At least they are actually holding them this time right?
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I currently own a GM and I can tell you they didn't hold this car back for any quality problems. They just continue to sell them without fixing anything.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    I keep hearing word from Ford that the base engine will have 200hp. Something about this comment and Ford's past behavior has me thinking that the base engine will be a version of the Freestar's 4.2V6. This will be just fine, especially if Ford fixed the head gasket problems that have afflicted this basic design over the years.

The combination of 265 lb-ft of torque and a five speed manual could actually be good, cheap fun.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    I agree, 200hp/265 lb ft is nothing to sneeze at. It's more than my '86 5 liter had (200hp/l98 lb ft) which was enought to get you in trouble in a hurry.

It should be perfectly adequate for daily driver duty and strong enough to have some fun with when the mood strikes.

Then again no V6 could sound as good as a 5.0.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I guess no DOHC and no IRS means few people who tend to prefer imports will like the v6 driving experience.
  • totheendoftimetotheendoftime Member Posts: 14
    The only V6 that I will consider at this point is the 4.0 SOHC that I currently have in my Ranger. I really like the torque response that I get from that engine. I just can't see how Ford could put in the 3.8 or 4.2 engines that have had so many headgasket problems into a new design.
  • scottinssmdscottinssmd Member Posts: 16
    O.K. I spent 42k on a 03 SVT Cobra convertible. The least they could do is put my bumper on with metal screws, washers, and nuts. My front end was squeaking and my fog lights were dancing on the pavement when I finally investigated the bumper. Sure enough, I found 2 plastic screws in the engine compartment, and 2 plastic push screws, if you want to call them screws, under the front bumper. After driving 50 miles today, the screws were all loose again. If this is any sign of what to look forward too....... Anybody want to buy a car?

Thankfully it's a convertible so when I have a fender bender I can toss it in the back seat.

Anything else I should look for?