Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    americanflagamericanflag Member Posts: 400
    link on the 5W-20 motor oil you may be trusting your engine to: http://www.syntheticoiltech.com/oil/jdupp/ford5W20.htm
  • Options
    jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for posting the link to article about oil. It was very informative. I always used 10W30 or 40 weight with my old cars.

Still love the Stang, no visits to the dealer required after two months of ownership. It's supposed to be fairly warm here this weekend, so I plan to give her a good wash. She needs it.

I'd like to replace the shifter knob, but can't decide which one to get. There are alot of good choices out there.

Hope everyone had a great holiday, and safe Happy New Year. - Jeffer2
  • Options
    the "oil" boards, you might take a look.

May I venture a thought on the shifter knob? I personally would go with the "Bullitt" knob either from Ford parts or an outside vendor that sells the original part. Doing modifications has become so popular these days, but I think that there is something special about items from the factory. And that metal shifter knob is a classic. Just my two cents.

Glad you are liking your Mustang. I get this real pride from driving a good ol' American classic! Wouldn't trade it for a 40K import.
  • Options
    Yes, the Bullitt knob is one that I am considering. The other is the Gripper from MGW.
    Does anyone wish Ford would've put a better-looking antenna on the Mustang, or mounted it in back? It looks out of place in front.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the knob.
    Later - J
  • Options
    demonspeeddemonspeed Member Posts: 75
    The knob looks nice, but you northern guys... especially with wednesdays snow... man, that would suck to grab it. My friend with a 99 GT has that knob (not a 35th package, he just bought the ball), and it gets cold at like 50*... i'd hate to imagine 15 hehe.

As far as the antenna... go with a Cobra R block off plate and move it to an internal one or something... just an idea. Maybe a power setup would work... I wish when I had my hood and bumper put on I would have shaved my antenna since they had to repaint the front anyway... oh well.
  • Options
    I know it would feel cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but I think that would be part of the appeal, putting you in closer touch with the environment. I like the leather stock shifter head too though, Ford did a good job on designing it. That is the only reason I have not changed to the Bullitt shifter head, I still think about changing though. The main thing is to have the 5-speed in the first place!
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    As far as the antenna is concerned, think "retro"...that's what I do. The standard, forward-mounted antenna is just like that pull-out light switch (how many contemporary cars do you know that have one of those??), the live rear axle, etc...totally old-school in a very cool way.
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I own a 2001 Premium GT and I am also a real big Mustang Fanatic. I found out that the REAL Mustang design will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2003. That's less than 1 month away. I am looking forward to buying the new body style Mustang within the next 2 1/2 to 3 years. I hope that it looks like the 67-69 Mustang. I hate the roundish Japanese look that these cars had in 94-98. The 99-2003 Styling is much better and more retro. We just need a little more retro design than what we have now and the Mustang will look better.
  • Options
    I am a proud owner of a 2001 Premium GT and a 2002 Premium 6 cylinder Mustang. I bought both cars brand new, but I stored my GT and am using my 6 cylinder Mustang as my everyday driver. I must say that both cars are excellent vehicles. I love the retro look that they have. My favorite is my 2001 GT. It has the real fat hood scoop and the fat side scoops. The GT is definitely a BIG DIFFERENCE compared to the 6 cylinder. The GT has much more torque and is more responsive and is much faster than the 6 cylinder.

Hopefully, I will start driving my GT and using it as my daily driver starting in the springtime. I do not want to drive it in the snow and salt up here. I drive my 6 cylinder all year round and have almost 12,000 miles on it. My GT has only 840 miles on it. Yes, only 840 miles. Both cars have been trouble free. I just want to say that no matter what, I would recommend the Mustang for anybody here who is looking to purchase one. The 6 cylinder is a great trouble free car and the GT is also a great trouble free car. Both are excellent vehicles.

For the people in here who are wondering why I own 2 Mustangs, I bought the 2001 GT to be stored while I used to own an old SUV that was currently my daily driver. One day my SUV broke and I needed another daily driver so I bought the 6 cylinder Mustang. I still miss my GT and can't wait until the good weather starts so I can start driving it and start putting some miles on it.

If anyone here loves Mustangs as much as I do you can also log on to: www.stangnet.com
    This website has everything that you need to know regarding any and all questions that you might have for your Mustang vehicles. It covers ALL Mustang models and makes from 1964 1/2 to present. I am happy to see that everybody here is a Mustang enthusiast like me. I am looking forward to posting here again and getting to know everybody in here. Have a Happy New Year.
  • Options
    I can't wait for the new 2004 Mustang design to come out. I hear that it will be unveiled next month in January 2003 at the Detroit Auto Show. I want to buy one within the next 2 1/2 to 3 years. I will wait until all the quirks ( if there are any ) are ironed out. Also, the price of the new design Mustang will be more reasonable after 1 to 1 /12 year from its initial sales date. I remember when the Ford dealers did not want to give a good deal on the 99 GT when it first came out because of the new body style. I am hoping that the new design Mustang will last and will look as good as it looks in the retro pictures that I have seen floating around.

What do all of you think about this? Do you think that the Mustang design will be really as nice looking as our current Mustang design?
  • Options
  • Options
    I thank you for agreeing with me 100% about this. Some other people don't. I guess that the ones who don't agree like roundish looking Japanese style cars that are bland.
  • Options
    xbamxxbamx Member Posts: 2
    i remember reading about how ford said they were taking away the cobra for 2004, but were still going to have "special editions" or whatever. anyone got any info on this?
  • Options
    I don't have any hard data, but the rumors are that the 2004 model year will see the final "heritage" Mustang built on the current platform...the BOSS 302.

This would make sense, as Ford recently announced the creation of a mod 5.0 (or 302 c.i. old-school) SOHC engine. Also, Ford said years ago that they'd build one limited edition per model year, to keep interest in the current car until the re-design. Since it looks like the redesign won't come out until the 2005 model year, that leaves one model year left on the current design. Hence the 2004 BOSS 302(Hopefully).
  • Options
    argentargent Member Posts: 176
    I haven't heard anything specific, but I suspect Ford is considering an enlargement of the 4.6 modular OHC engine (and possibly the Triton 5.4L as well), probably with three- or four-valve heads, to keep pace with the horsepower race in the truck/SUV market. I doubt that the Mustang itself would give them a big incentive to upgrade their engines (the Mustang continually outsold the F-bodies despite being well down on both displacement and power), but it could become the beneficiary of more powerful corporate engines.

Of course, neither the 4.6L or the 5.4L Triton constitute a "big block" by the standards of old. The modular cammer is a bit smaller than the old 302 -- which dates all the way back to the Ford Fairlane's 1962 221-inch engine! That was definitely a small block by the standards of the 60s and 70s (it was one of the smallest and lightest American V-8s of its day). A "big block" was an FE-series (352/390/406/428), 385-series (429/460), or the FE-based 427 Side Oiler and OHC engines. They had more power than most of the small blocks (and of course more torque), but they were substantially bigger and more than 200 pounds heavier.
  • Options
    gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    looks in credible. Very coupe looking. Mayhap the Astin Martin guys had a couple of ideas for detroit?
  • Options
    small blocks, like their classic 289. The current 4.6L is also a great engine, it loves to run.
  • Options
    blackponyblackpony Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, this is my first post although I have been enjoying this chat board. Last Saturday, the Saturday before Christmas, my long 23 year wait finally ended. You see, years ago, when I was 19, I purchased a 1974 Mustang II Ghia (leather, landau roof-you remember it). At that time all I wanted was a Ford Mustang and it did not even matter to me that this one was brown in color. I managed to purchase the Ghia and it was one fast car (especially for a 19 year old). I married, and ended up selling it at a really cheap price (boo hoo) for moving expense money to Alabama, and my husband and I ended up living there only 6 months before getting transferred. To make my sadness worse, the person who bought it purchased it for his 17 year old son (imagine) and I was later told that in the "end" the car didn't even resemble the original car because he had wrecked it several times and did not take care of it (horrors). Anyway, my husband promised me for years that someday I would own another one. The years have come and gone, and I have driven many makes and models through the years, most recently concluding with a mini-van so you get the picture. Several weeks ago, this became an urgent matter--Mustang or nothing. The Saturday before Christmas, less than 2 weeks ago, my 23 year wait ended and I purchased a 2003 (it's Bad and Black). My 16 year old talked me into getting the black and I am so happy that I did-it is hands down the most beautiful car I have ever owned. I just can hardly believe it is in my driveway. The comfort is awesome, the craftsmanship is superior and the ride is smooth and powerful--the ponys are screaming for the gas pedal. I certainly did not have to convince myself on this one--Ford has done the '03 right-it's a beautiful vehicle. Love the spoiler on the back too. My dream car 4 sure. Well, thanks for reading, and I want to wish all my fellow Mustang Owners a Blessed 2003.
  • Options
    midlifermidlifer Member Posts: 21
    I also waited a long time to spoil myself. I had owned a 1967 vert. 83 G.T. 85 G.T. and then i grew up for about 15 years, or so i thought. I turned 40 (ouch) in Oct. and was at the dealership a week later, I needed a fix of youth i guess. I certainly have owned better made and optioned out cars (German,Japanese)but this is the most fun to drive one i have had in a long time. I have a 2003 Trueblue G.T. If you are like myself it was tourcher that first 1000 miles not letting those ponys run to the red line just once. As you bring the revvvvs up to around 3500 you just dont want to stop there!! its a sickness thats in my genes from Dad who had lots of Muscle cars in his day (65 GTO,66Mustang gt350 to name a few its his fault)
    Anyway enjoy and dont forget to change that oil after those first 500 miles! it comes quick and make sure you add 5w-20 oil "as required" or until someone on this site finds out if we can put something else in it? There are many debates about that! I did read on-line that this light of a weight "does not" mean less protection!!
  • Options
    I removed my silencer a month or so ago and initially it seemed quicker,or at least more responsive throttle wise and much more Howling from under the hood for sure!! Now it seems to be a little flat on acceleration ,almost like it doesn't snap you head as quick? I thought i read some time ago on this site that some one had stated that removing the Silencer does not increase performance it actually decreases it??
    any thoughts? I think i am just going to break down and put a Mac cool Air intake on it anyway but i was still wondering if i'm getting used to having a fast car again,and its finally broken in 2,700 miles and its just a little looser than it was when i made the change with only around 800 miles on it?
  • Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with removing that silencer. It's such a bottle neck (as you all can see). Opening that up is a drastic improvment, and although you might not feel it, it's there. A good replacment filter such as a K&N is a good choice to go along with it if you don't plan on a true intake, but since you are mentioning one, i'd do it. It'll brighten the engine bay up and add a couple ponies.
  • Options
    I was wondering when you buy the Mac cold air unit does it come with a Filter? I did replace the Origanal with a K&N the first week i bought it did i waist $50.00 if i go to the Mac unit?
    And if it Does not fit the Mac System I have a 2000 Expedition 5.4 Triton will it fit that? I will have to check a local AutoZone book to see if its the same size,or better yet pull it out and compare! Dahhh.
  • Options
    Happy New Year everybody!

For people who installed CAIs on their Stangs, what brand did you get? On one of the Stang sites, alot of people like the Densecharger.

Congrats Black Pony! Did you get a GT? Five-speed or auto?

Later - Jeffer2
  • Options
    Anyway, MidL there are several other discussions on that forum you can look at. My take is that there may or may not be a small horsepower loss (or gain). But I love the sound, so I am happy. Whatever effect it has had on hp has been small. They also say that shaving the silencer like you did is probably the best option. I think maybe you just have the bug!

I am very happy with the change because the sound increase that resulted gives the car enough immediacy that I don't feel the need to do the exhaust right away. My pocketbook appreciates not having to sell out $600 for the exhaust just yet :)
  • Options
    You will get a K&N cone unit. It'll be very easy to install as I did it on my friends 99 GT. It's definetly arguable wheither or not a CAI works or not (I have one on my 93 that didn't seem to make any difference), and they say you might lose power due to the fact the metal heats up and causes a reverse effect of what it's designed to use, but I didn't notice a loss or a gain either way. My friend with the 99 said there was a gain and I have another friend with an 02 V6 I removed the silencer out of and he said it was noticable with that.

Either way, the best place to start is to get the thing breathing better, so opening up the intake one way or another is the best place to start. I would then definetly look into a catback and x/h pipe. I would highly reccomend long tube headers with the 4.6 if you plan at all on replacing the stock manifolds as the shorty headers for the 96+ are not hardly effectively noticable to increase power to justify the cost and time to install them. I personally would do the intake, catback, h/x-pipe (I have an offroad X on my 93) and then go with a set of pulley's. You should definetly be very close to the 13 second range with those assuming you can cut good times (like 2.2 60' or better). I would also HIGHLY suggest an after market shifter such as one by Steeda (what I have) or Pro 5.0. Either way, good start with the "mod bug". Mine just cost me $700 bucks as I just purchase a Trick Flow Track Heat intake manifold and Accufab 70mm throttle body, i'm hoping for some AFR 165 heads soon as well. I will be heading for 12's before this next summer is over, oh yes, I will :)
  • Options
    I removed my silencer about 3 months ago. I drove the car extensively right before removal, and then immediately afterward to try to discern the effects of silencer-ectomy. On my car, I noticed a tad more throatiness at idle and a lot more noise at WOT. Performance wise, I'd say the only noticeable benefit was that the car seems to rev easier.

I like it, and if worst case I lost a few hp, it's worth it for me for the better sound...like 'Flag, I value the "immediacy" over raw performance.

But I have noticed recently that as my car ages (it's 9 months old), the sound is getting better. Seems more throaty and pronounced. Maybe the mufflers have been breaking in a bit..
  • Options
    My experience has been the same,great sound @ WOT.
    I passed my wife and kids last night following them home ,full throttle in 2nd her window was down they said it sounded Awesome! i think that was my 9 year old boys words HaHa. But you are correct it Revs. more effortlessly. I just trimmed mine back so as not to get to much under hood air.I still want more sound. The Xmas bonus will be here in 2 weeks ,i think the Magnaflows are a done deal. I was going to put a Mac COS system on but there are so many pros and cons iut there? Pipe heating up? i am more confused than ever about the induction stuff. So i will do the Exhaust. I will have to look the other way when they cut that 3 month old Stock Polished Beauties off there.

Any more opinions on the induction... C&l MAF? MAC?
  • Options
    I'm personally skipping the CAI system...I do have a K&N filter though. I did the same drill when I dropped in the K&N, and noticed another boost in "revability" and throttle response. Also noticed the idle seemed to smooth out a little (I'm still undecided whether I like that or not though...love my 4.6 I do, but I REALLY like the 'lumpy idle' of the 5.0)

I like the sound of the magnaflows (certainly sound better to me than the magnapacks). I may in a year or so go with the Ford Racing catback, as I want a little increase in sound, but nothing too loud (i.e. no flowmasters). Plus it's all stainless, and about $260.
  • Options
    I also think, but I'm not sure, that the stock system sounds better outside the car than it does inside. As none of my friends can drive a 5-spd, I've never been able to hear what mine sounds like from a "by-stander" pov.

I do try to listen to other Mustangs, but it's frequently hard to tell if it's stock or not... But the Bullitts do sound *amazing* straight from the factory. Distinctive, but not too loud.
  • Options
    I just want a little more sound ,not to much after all i'm supposed to be 40yrs old. I met a guy with a Bullitt and he had just put the Magnaflows on ,and at idle not much change from stock real nice @ WOT. I was really impressed with the H.P. gains on the Magnaflows ive seen on various test. It makes me believe i could just do cat backs and get the same gains as some people doing x pipes Headers and the hole nine Yards? i think it was 19 H.P.,24 TQ. $450.00 installed all stainless.
  • Options
    Just think if you did an h/x pipe with that catback, all the better power, and if you get a pipe with the cats, you'll not be too much louder.
  • Options
    gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    I just put 2 chamber flows and a mac offrad H-pipe and man it is loud and rude but i love it!
    Picked up a little more power too.
  • Options
    Ford I am sure you read my posts. Yes, I will be sending in my resume to your company.

But in the meantime, I have a suggestion. The Bullitt wheels are some of the best looking wheels out there. Yes, the owners of the original Bullitt editions whine because they are now generally distributed, but who cares? What are they gonna do, trade in their Bullitt edition? I don't think so, they know they got it made with that car.

Anyway, my idea is to keep the design of the Bullitt wheels, but make the interiors black like on the original 68 Mustang wheels. The black wheels look great and really stand out from all the chrome wheels which have proliferated these days (I did't say rice). The look of the black wheels is less flashy, and more low key and basic. Also, it will introduce some variety in the wheel design so that Ford will be less likely just to stop offering the Bullitt style wheels.

I know black Bullitt wheels are offered on the aftermarket, but I think they would look great on new Mustangs too :)

"Everything Old is New Again"
  • Options
    Hey 'Flag, in case you're interested...they already exist, as a genuine Ford part.

Check out page XII of the 2002 Ford Racing Parts catalogue: "2001 Special Edition Charcoal Mustang GT Wheel (part M-1007-J178) retail price $165 each

These are exactly what you're taking about I think, and I agree they look sharp.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    My son lives in L.A. and recently purchased a low-mileage 2001 GT. Now he has acquired a set of H&R springs, CC plates, and better shocks (forgotten the brand) to all be installed at the same time.

Here's the problem - he's having a hard time finding a knowledgable installation place within the greater Los Angeles area. Sure, lots of tire places that do springs, shocks, alignments etc but he'd like to find a place that has a few Stangs on the lot - all he finds are Asian performance places because that's where the $$$ is today.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He found one place in San Diego but that's a couple of 300 mile roundtrips.
  • Options
    car there was available a greater option list? (Like in the old days, I know, I am nostalgic.) But it would be great to have more options at time of purchase, oh well, the black Bullitt wheels are awesome, I would love to actually see them on a Mustang. If you watch Bullitt, the wheels on his Mustang are actually black (not even gray) inside. Also, I noticed that the rear of the 68 Mustang had a chrome lining defining the outline (do you know what I mean?), this was a great touch and something Ford should maybe consider for the 2005. Especially given all the consternation about the new rear end on the new Mustang thread. Ford!!??? Do you hear me??
  • Options
    gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    Just wanted to say Happy New Year to all the message board peeps who've been so cool over the last few months of this post. I'm learning a lot about my car from real road experience and from reading up here. *warm and fuzzy* Just wanted to say thanks.

-Craig
    '02 GT w/21k miles EEK!
  • Options
    pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Are u sure the new Stang will debut as a 04 model ?? I keep hearing 05 will be the yr, which means the current model has yet another yr left.
  • Options
    a new thread, the 2005 Mustang? Or can they rename this one? Or should we just not worry about it and soldier on gallantly?
  • Options
    The NEW Body style Mustang will probably go into production in the late fall of 2004 and it will be called a 2005 model.

As for the 2004 model year, from say the fall of 2004 up to and including the end of the summer of 2004, Ford will keep building the current body style Mustang. We will see the BOSS Mustang in the current body style in the end of the summer or fall of 2003 and it will probably be called a 2004 BOSS Mustang. I hope that this information helps you here.
  • Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    So, here's the new Mustang -- opinions?

More images at http://www.auto.com/photos/2003/04mustang/index.htm.

• Options
    Have not read anything from Zues lately? I just wanted to thank him again for his expert advise. It was probably a month ago we had a discussion on Waxes. He recommended the Maquires Mirror Glaze (in the tan bottle)Great stuff ,it was 70deg. yesterday so i waxed the True Blue Stang up "Again" and that mirror glaze is the best shine i have ever had with no build up or dust!!
    You guys were right again!
  • Options
    sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Don't like it. Can't stand the interior, the front end seems to replace the best of the Mustang with the worst of the departing Cougar, although the rear isn't too bad.

Hmm. Sorry, I just don't like it.
  • Options
    I like the gas cap though, and the blinker lights on the hood. It also has too much of a Ford Thunderbird look and feel.
  • Options
    judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    That's not the new Mustang, its a concept. Apparently the production car is significantly different, especially the rear end, and the people I've talked to at Ford say they like the production a lot more than the concept.
  • Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Well, I have to agree with the consensus. I think this design is very bad. When I first saw the front end, I thought they had mixed up the Mustang with some sort of truck/convertible crossover vehicle.

If this is just a concept, then I hope the production vehicles is more like the semi-retro concept pics from the magazines. I usually don't like "retro", but I thought the earlier Mustang concept looked pretty sharp...
  • Options
    cuteeric17cuteeric17 Member Posts: 43
    I sure hope the production model looks better then what I'm seeing.
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    and I think you all are crazy:)
  • Options
    cuteeric17cuteeric17 Member Posts: 43
    And I'll fight to the death you're right to have freedom of speech (or is it freedom of thought?), but it doesn't mean that we're crazy.
  • Options
    your opinion on the link I posted under the Mazda 6 vs Mustang debate thread, for newcomers I post it here: I think all will agree (except our friend Wishnhigh) that this is a beautiful design;)

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/caroline/bridget_caroline.jpg