Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    worried about those pesky Camaros, Barracudas or Javelins. Copmpetition does improve the breed but lack of competition.....

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• cwhite5cwhite5 Member Posts: 3
    i'm planning on buying the new model the year after it's initially introduced. one reason being i think a few kinks will need to be worked out. secondly, the price. i think i'll need to save as much as possible from the look. do you guys think a car that pretty will have the ferocious growl we all know and love?
  • americanflagamericanflag Member Posts: 400
    but have you all heard about the estimate that gas will hit $2.00 a gallon soon?

What do you think, are 4 cylinders looking better?
    A 4 cylinder Mustang? Could the party be over?
    as long as they're hooked up to a turbocharger<;^)

• btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    Is when me and the Dodge will have a parting of the ways and I'm gonna purchase a V6 'Stang!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hey, gas is already $2 a gallon in parts of America and has been for a year or more.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    With gasoline prices, the important thing to remember is the "relativity" of the price compared to income and inflation, not simply the nominal price.

The average price for a gallon of gas right now across the U.S. is somewhere around $1.50. However consider the average price for a gallon of gas in 1953 -- 65 cents. Seems cheap, right? But take this price, adjust it for inflation and you get a price for a gallon of gas of $1.95 (in today's dollars). So gas is actually cheaper now than it was in 1953.

In economics, as in physics, everything is relative... : )
    Gas was around $.30/gal or less in '53, was that a typo? I think your point is valid tho.

I remember buying gas for less than 30 cents/gal in the mid 60s and that's in NYC which had some of the most expensive gas in the US..

Oops...Indeed my mistake! I was writing one thing while thinking something else. Also, I wasn't even alive in the 60s myself, so it's all anecdotal to me anyway... : )

Though I can still remember when most gas stations had "full service" pumps! (though I hear some parts of the country still have them, but due to more state job creation laws than an actual market for them)
    inflation, but still, as gas prices rise to $2.00 a gallon and higher, do you think we will see cars like the V-8 Mustang decline in popularity?

I went from the Civic HX (one of the most fuel efficient cars on the road) to the Mustang GT, so obviously I am experiencing a big change. But still, Police departments are now even starting to switch to hybids. Is the day of the Mustang V-8's nearing an end, and thus our (my?) nostalgia or is this gas issue no big deal?
    I've owned to V8 Muscle cars. I bought the first, a '70 GTO convertible (4-sp-2bbl) in 1982,
    a time time of rising gas prices and a very lackluster economy. I was convinced the old Goat was the last of a breed that would quickly be killed by rising gas prices. That was one of the reasons I thought it would be a valuable car one day. I was half right.

What happened in the later 80s was they figured out how to use electronic controls and weight saving techniques to get reasonable power out engines that gave good power. My next muscle car was an '86 Mustang 5.0 'vert that I happened to buy the day before Saddam invaded Kuwait (Doh!) Fortunately the 'Stang was never my daily driver.

It's likely that the current rise in prices is the result of temporary circumstances, unrest in Venezuela and the Mid-East. Once these are stabilized price stability will return to fuel prices. I doubt you'll see $1.00 a gallon again but I also doubt you'll see $3.00/gallon for very long. It's going to be a wild ride but it'll probably settle down.

Having said that I wouldn't advise anyone to depend on a gas guzzler as their daily driver. I'm still considering a new Mustang convertible or Thunderbird but it'll be my weekend car.

• dragon3dragon3 Member Posts: 8
    let's see,the way I see it,is that 10 years from now maybe we will
    have a 1000hp hygrogen power mustang..put some wings on it and it might fly. What I'm trying to get at is that the mustang and the people that buy them is always after more and more power, I am happy with my '84 'stang that I bought new and now has about 60k miles on it. When the new mustang comes out I will buy the v6 model, it has enough hp to do most things except fly. Can you fly with the svt models..no. So why keep yapping away about horsepower. How fast can you go in stop and go traffic in a urban enviroment that I live in,
    what about the POlice? What about that slow moving car that comes into your lane while you're accerating past 100mph?
    I cannot see myself ever needing a faster car than my 03 GT. I only occasionally get to open it up, and when I do it is very fast and because it is so fast I am going 90 mph before I know it so I have to slow down again. But it is fun! I think in some ways horsepower is more about attitude really than horsepower.
  • dnsanders55dnsanders55 Member Posts: 1
    Gesh, I know I'm getting old, but not to realize that the 2004 Mustang is coming out and has the same appearance of my very first Ford Mustang, 1968 Tang fastback with the 289HP and I even added a 4 speed competition HURST in it. God, can't wait for the new one - Last time I got this excited - I licked the paint of my Tang !
    I too have noticed that car power seems up a lot recently. Even some Honda Accords come with mid-200 hp figures I think, not to mention the huge figures for SUVs...

But we've been here before...

Automotive power kept increasing from mid-century onward, reaching its zenith in the 1970s. Then the combination of the energy crisis, a depressed economy and soaring insurance rates conspired to kill off the musclecars, like so many dinosaurs ; )

We now face a possible new energy crisis (though likely not as severe due to geopolitical changes), the economy may well suffer (further) if a war starts, and more drivers on the road + faster cars + a dillution in driving ability (due to cellphones and more gadgetry) = even higher insurance premiums.

Plus, we are facing something we didn't previously: increasing gridlock. What good is a 400 hp car if you sit in traffic most of the time (as do most people)?

All this makes me wonder if a new "Mustang II" isn't just around the corner... : (

Yeah, it scares me too. But I worry about all of the above, plus the fact that (aside from the Mustang and the defunct F-Bodies) modern muscle cars are getting pricey. I worry that this muscle-car revival that we keep hearing about is really just a niche market for aging babyboomers willing to pay high prices for retro nostalgia.

After all, if musclecars were really making such a big comeback, wouldn't (for example) GM go beyond the fairly expensive and low-volume GTO, and say offer an Impala "SS" version that was simply the current car, but with a V8 and rwd?
    about taking a fwd car and converting to V8/rwd. It's easier to convert to AWD (Audi/VW/Jag), otherwise you're building a whole new car.

If the GTO catches on GM might bring in the Commodore 4dr. (also based on the Opel Omega chassis) and call it an Impala SS or Pontiac Bonneville.

• blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I don't think we're going to see anything like the "energy crisis" of the 70s. Back then, OPEC cut off the oil supply to punish the U.S. for supporting Israel. These days, OPEC is increasing production to make up for a possible shortfall due to the Iraq war and Venezuela situation.

Of course, you never know. Maybe we will see a Mustang III based on the Focus SVT platform...
  • daman82daman82 Member Posts: 7
    I heard that if we go to war with Iraq and Saddam goes psycho and decides to burn his oil fields, gas prices would jump to $5/gal. At that rate, even hybrids would cost an arm and a leg.
  • gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    and can't read through all several hundred posts...soooo...any MSRP numbers on this baby??
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Heard the same thing regarding the '91 Gulf War. They torched off all the Kuwaiti fields. Guess what. Within less than a year, fuel prices were back to levels from before the war.

I was under the impression that current international sanctions meant that little of the world's oil supply is currently from Iraq. Isn't this why the U.S. is being blamed for the 'millions' of children who have died in Iraq since the Gulf War? All he would be doing by torching his own fields is delaying the recovery of his own country. Something tells me he doesn't care about that though so I fully expect him to institute a 'scorched earth' policy on his own country.

The projections of $5/gal gas is, IMHO, nothing but scare tactics used to drum up opposition to the war.
    it's not only possible but not unlikely at least in the short run.

-Cold winter
    -No oil coming from Venezuela (33% of normal exports)
    -Iraq is normally 16-17% of US oil imports (sanctions were modified 2 yrs ago).

Figure it out, that's half of our normal import supply interrupted.

No the sky is not falling but how much damage can our limping economy absorb.

• blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I predict that gas prices will go no higher than $2.75/gal, and that they won't stay over $2 for more than 6 months.

If I'm wrong -- well, we can always open up the ANWR...

• 45auto45auto Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if the hood scoop and side scoops from the 01,02 will fit the 1999 and 2000 mustang. also, where can I find production numbers/ color combinations for 99 up gt models? Thanks for your assistance
  • demonspeeddemonspeed Member Posts: 75
    yeah, they'll fit no problem.
    board covers? I know they reduce windshield reflection of the dash and also protect it from the sun. But do they look cheesy in your opinion?
    Cheesy, very cheesy. They make anti-reflective Armor All ;)
    If you get a cloth dashboard cover, might as well go all the way and trade the Mustang in for a van with the sunset mural on the side... ; )

Seriously, what demonspeed said...use Armor All "interior" grade; works very well.
  • gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    Armor All has way too much water in it. You need to use a product with more of a petroleum base. The heavily water based products dry out your interior in the heat and direct sunlight.
    cover? Remember in my defense, I am in Florida, Sun Capital of America. I am not talking about adding the fuzzy dice or anything. Also, no chain license plate covers. Just a dashboard mat...
  • buster95buster95 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, everyone, I just bought an 03 'Stang.
    My second 'Stang, as I'd owned a piece-of-
    crap '81 4 cylinder which vaporlocked all
    the time. Researched the '03 before buying
    including this website and was glad to see
    so many speak highly of the '03 cars. My
    new one came without traction control, which a
    couple of friends with experience with 'Stangs
    said is a total waste of cash. Still, I'm
    concerned about the car's potential lack of
    traction on wet/icy ground. Several folks have
    said to use the old trusty bag of sand in the
    rear of the car. Does this work? And if so,
    how many pounds do ya need? 100? 500? Any
    advice would be mucho appreciadio.
    Traction Control waste of cash? Hardly. Turn it off at the drag strip or when your playing with the car. It's very useful when just driving around, especially up north.
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    I have had my 02 gt now for 10 mo's plus i have had 3 camaro's and a trans am.
    Traction control is the best option on a rear wheel car you could ever have it works great when you need and you can turn it off if you want to burn the tires off it.
    Make sure you get it with any new mustang.
    I live in KY and the rain and snow make it a must have.
    Your Mustang friends were just trying to make you feel better about not having it... maybe they'll let you return the car for one with traction control hehehe.
  • mbakmbak Member Posts: 5
    I currently drive a Camaro, but GM has left me with no choice, but to join the blue oval gang. I just don't like the idea of buying a used Z28. As for the 2003 Mustang GT, I've driven both the 5 speed as well as the auto, but I couldn't really drive the automatic very hard. I've always had a manual transmission, so I really would like to go with the automatic. I'm usually in traffic more than back roads, so the automatic would be nice. Can anyone tell me if I'm sacrificing a great deal of performance by going with the automatic? Does anyone have any kind of performance numbers to compare the two? I'm planning on ordering a 2003 GT Premium in a month or so, but I would like some advice on the transmission.
  • cuteeric17cuteeric17 Member Posts: 43
    Mustang and automatic just doesn't seem to go together. To each his/her own I guess.
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    Well i drove both real hard and the stick is a little quicker seat of the pants
    However i like my auto it grabs 2nd gear and chrips 2nd gear well and i love that you can turn the traction control off.
    I drive in the city the most of the time thats why i went with the auto
    Make sure you put 2 chambers flow masters on it.
    I've seen 99+ GT auto's running in the 15's. That's pretty lame. Go with the stick. GM auto's are just as quick as the 6 speeds. I don't think you'd have any problem with a used Z28. Why not try a certified used?
    I'm also 100% sure if you went to a dealer, they would be able to find you a new, never titled Z28 sitting around somewhere. You can still even configure a new on the GM buypower site...

http://www.gmbuypower.com
    The closest dealership I've found to me is in Dallas, Tx. That's about 450 miles from me. Unfortunately, no one is coming off the price. I have a quote from a local dealer for a 2003 GT for $22,300. The cheapest Z28 I've gotten a price on is $25,600. I've driven a 2002 Z28 and it's much quicker than a new GT, but for the money, the GT is hard to beat. As for a used Z28, I'm not totally against it, but I got a little nervous after I drove a 2002 with only 12,000 miles and it was obvious it had some problems.
    Either way, I think you'll enjoy either car. I prefer the Camaro myself, but I think as long as you "stick with stick", you'll enjoy the Mustang.
  • vet350vet350 Member Posts: 2
    Well, if you get the YELLOW GT it will be faster because of the color.
    Therefore, it doesn't matter if it's Auto or Stick.
    So, I would get the YELLOW one.(with black leather) :-)
    true, but the black ones are so fast, you can't even see them at night... so you want to be fast, or invisible??? ;)
    Oh Lord, Mr. Chunky(vet350), you in here now.
    I'm leaning towards Sonic Blue Metallic with Medium Graphite leather! I think I'm going to go and drive both the 5-speed and auto next week.
  • vet350vet350 Member Posts: 2
    Let's just cut the BS and get the only car that matters..........The CORVETTE!!!!!
    And if you can't get a new one, get a used one, FAT BOY!!!!!
  • mmaximus1mmaximus1 Member Posts: 9
    Well, after driving a 2000 V6 automatic for 2 years, I just picked up my new 2003 5-speed GT 2 days ago. I am so glad I got the 5-speed. The direct control over this awesome engine will bring a smile to your face every time!
    I have Borla exhaust on my Camaro. It's sounds as good as a V6 can sound, I guess. I'll be putting some kind of exhaust on the Mustang. I'd like something that's got a nice rumble to it, but nothing obnoxious. My Borla is fairly quiet at highway speed, I'd like to have something like that. Any Suggestions?
    I think i'll asssume here and guess the Corvette is out of the price range...