Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the information!

I'll phone around a couple of places today, there are 2 certified installers within a 5 mile radius of where I live, but didn't see my actual dealer listed as a certified installer, so definitely a question I'll be asking them.
  • dohturdimadohturdima Member Posts: 14
    ...in my '07 G35x. Bought parts at the dealership, where the parts guy also e-mailed me the manual. It took me a better part of the day to do it though (tuner, antenna, hookup etc) but it works very nicely and shows up on my screen. Next jobs are a wee bit more challenging - installing custom-ordered wood trim (Ebay) and trying to get my hands on a backup camera - I would like to have it as I tend to park in pretty tight spaces and loved this feature in my friend's fx35. If anyone has an idea where I could get my hands on a camera (excepting the dealership, of course) and the installation instructions I would greatly appreciate it! :D
  • smartbotsmartbot Member Posts: 4
    I had spoken to my dealer about the install, but they said that I wouldn't get the "shark fin" antenna unless it was installed at the factory.

If I end up getting the kit from g35parts.com (for the 07 Sedan) I may have to try the antenna near the rear window and see how it goes. Otherwise, I can try to place it on the roof (or try to install the "shark fin" antenna if possible)...
    I found this site that would allow to add a rear view camera using the screen already installed in the 07 G: http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-InterfaceDual.htm ... You may also want to look into the license plate camera offered by Boyo Vision.

On a different topic, where did you place the antenna when you installed Sirius? How is the reception?
    Thanks for the linky, will look into that. As far as the radio, since I bought a factory unit and antenna + had the dealer parts guy give me the instructions, I followed them to a T - the antenna ended up being a shark fin. I can forward you the instructions, which are in a .pdf attachment.
    ...is excellent! :)
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 27
    can someone recommend a quality car cover for my 06 g35x? i just buffed out some scratches that vandals put on my ride. i want to cover it, but i don't know how to choose among the car covers available.

A salesperson is R&S Strauss told me that no car covers are waterproof. i've checked the infiniti website, but they want $250.

any suggestions?
    Do you remember the part number for the fin antenna? Or the factory unit part number? The last time I checked with my dealer they said that the kit from Infiniti doesn't come with the shark fin antenna. Maybe I should ask for the factory unit?? Did you have to drill anything to install the shark fin antenna?

Also, if you still have the instructions can you forward them to me? My email is smartbot (at) graytext.com
    I have to correct myself - it is not a "shark fin" per se but installs at the same location and is quite small. I did have to drill to install the tuner unit, but if you follow instructions you should know exactly where to do it. Like I sair, I bought the unit, the antenna and the protective moulding from the dealer. The trick was making sure everything stays nice and sealed so that there are no leaks. I will the instructions your way - don't have the boxes with me, but instructions will have part numbers in them I believe.
    After calling around a couple of certified installers, I managed to get the full Scotchguard 3M for my G35 07 Sport 6MT fitted for $550. This was especially good considering that my dealer offered it for $750 done by the same person. Always pays to buy direct! ;)
  • shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    My dealer quoted me $395 for hood/fender/mirrors and $595 with the front bumper. After looking at the rock chips on my current car (with only 12k miles!) I think I will get it :)

kc
    I had a couple of small ones after a week of driving (mainly highway) so it definitely seems worth it for the longer term.
    Also, does anyone know if you can remove the film after it has been applied to the car? I know that is a weird question, but I am just curious.

kc
    I do remember reading somewhere (probably their website) that you can remove it with no after effects. Of course they are going to say that there aren't they? Not sure if anyone has actually tried it though! ;)
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Actually, it has been tried.

The 3M protection will protect your car from those little pebbles which cause small chips in paint.
    Anything larger than that can cause damage to the car, or to the layer itself.

I've seen rocks hit that were large enough to damage the 3M file, but not the car's finish beneath... it causes a bubble or indent in the film.
    This portion of the film can be removed, with the use of a heat gun, and a new film can then be replaced.

The film can be on for years, and once removed, you'll never know it was there, assuming you keep your car clean.
    Letting dirt sit on the seam's edge for years may cause an affect on the non-protected paint so once the film is removed, you'd see where the edge once was.

The beauty of this product is that it protects the car's paint, and accepts the damage while protecting... and it can be removed and replaced when necessary.

The film replacement is a whole lot cheaper and less invasive than having a hood or bumper repainted.
    Ahh, that makes sense. I guess at some point, with a larger rock or dent, the film would need to be replaced. I didn't want to be washing/waxing the car and accidentally peel it off or something. Sounds to me like it's on there real good :)

Scott, how do you keep the seam edge clean so that it's not noticeable?

kc
    I treat the film as any other part of the car.

I wash, wax, clay, seal, etc.
    The important thing to remember is to be gentle with the edge.
    Do not wax against it, but with it.
    I'm very careful not to allow the clay to rub against any edge, and the same for applying wax.
    Removal of wax is done with the edge and not against it.

Also, all washing, waxing, claying, sealing, etc should be in motions that run in straight lines, front to back... not in circular motions (Mr. Miyagi -Karate Kid- was a detailing idiot)
    The problem with this method is that when running in straight lines, you run against the edge of the film.
    For this reason, I treat the edges separately, and then treat the car.
    Keep the edges clean, and it will never peel and will be almost impossible to detect from more than a few feet away.

If you lack a steady hand or worry about accidental edge hits, you can use painter's blue tape and set it on gently so just the films edges are covered.
    You can then clay or wax, and when done, remove the tape.
    Excellent, thanks. I've been using Zaino on my previous car with great results, so once I take delivery of the G35 (T-Minus two weeks) I will make sure to treat the edges with care.

On a side note, did you clay your car after the delivery from the dealer or did you wait sometime before doing that?

kc
    These newer paints don't require the curing time like the used to.
    I picked my car up on a Tuesday and detailed it the following Saturday.

I'm also using the Zaino line, and give it the full treatment twice a year.
    On top of the Zaino, I wax (around once a month)

Only issue with wax on top of Zaino is that if you want to apply more Zaino, you need to start from scratch, which some people refuce to do.

I Zaino twice a yr, once in the Spring and once in the Fall
    Great. I also do the spring/fall twice yearly Zaino polish treatment. I might do this a little more frequently with this car as it will be my daily driver (my previous car was a pleasure/weekend driver). I would possibly do the monthly wax but the whole start-from-scratch thing is a bummer :D

kc
    Well, if you ever have the oppurtunity to experiment, I highly suggest it.
    Zaino is amazing, but the car takes on a whole new look once you have the completed Zaino treatment, and then give it a few coats of wax.
    WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Dawn
    Clay
    Wash
    Dry
    Z-5
    Z-6
    Z-2
    Z-6
    Z-2
    Z-6
    Z-2
    Z-6
    Wax
    Wax
    Wax
    Obvisously, dress tires & wax wheels as well.

Then...cry while observing it's beauty.
    (I have issues, I know)
  • strangemanstrangeman Member Posts: 8
    ScottM - PM me...i have questions about Zaino.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We don't have a specific "PM" feature, but feel free to post your questions here - and/or check out the Zaino discussion which is over on the Maintenance and Repair board! :)
  • gene28gene28 Member Posts: 9
    what are the best to buy...the carpet ones came with the car but for this climate and our needs would prefer rubber type...does inifnity make these or are you better with some other brand. Thanks.
    I have the Infiniti brand and I'm very happy with them.
    If I was to go with something other than OEM, I'd go with Weathertech (www.weathertech.com)
    I have their trunk liner for the G and it's super high quality.
    Although we don't have a "PM" feature, if Strangeman posted his email address in his carspace page, I could email him. ;)
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    does inifnity make these or are you better with some other brand.

It kills me that I'm struggling to afford an Infiniti G35 & you can't even spell it. :cry:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Or you could email him at his carspace account, which I often forget about. :blush:

But it would be great to discuss it here - lots of folks stand to benefit that way.
    I bought a G35x from a state that requires a front license plate. My state does not require a front license plate. I removed the front plate bracket but of course there are two holes now in my front bumper. Can a get a couple of tabs (color matched) that will hide these holes?
    Yes!
    Let me see if I can fin d the link here at work.
    I may need to post this from home if I cant find it here.

There's a company that sells color matching plugs to fill those holes.

Lemme look!
    Wow...fiound it quick..

Color Coded Bumper Plugs
  • iamsocksiamsocks Member Posts: 8
    where can I get this done at other than the dealer????They want 930 for the front of the car....hood, bumper, and side mirrors....Im looking for an installer..Thanks..Im in So. Cal.
    thank you!
    So Cal???
    Try every other corner!!!

Seriously... go to 3M's website and search for a certified installer.
    In So Cal, you'll most likely find quite a few.
    You can then call around for the best prices.

Certified instaler search
    Thanks....I didn't think about going to 3m..I found about 25 -close by...Im gonna call tomorrow
    Thanks Again
    Found a place that will do the front hood,bumper,air dams, mirrors for 450.00
    Sound about right????
    That's actually pretty good if it's 3M and a cert'd installer.
    I paid $695 for the hood, entire front bumper and lower spoiler, fenders and mirrors... and that was after talking the installer down $100-.
    Somebody pinged my carspace page with a question regarding the LED bulbs I used in the G.
    I approved the post and went to respond, but the webpage was acting screwy and I lost the post.
    Whoever it was... hit me with an email so I can help.

You can email me right through carspace (assuming it works) or to the email address in my carspace profile.

Thanks!
    Well, the job is complete.
    The parts cost me $195 (shipped) and took about 2 hours to complete the install. It was my first time pulling airbags and steering wheels, so I took my time. I could probably do it again in less than a half hour.
    I highly recommend this mod.
    It's cheap, fairly easy, and adds a little more fun to this already incredible ride.

I posted a couple of pictures that I snapped quickly during the install. Once I get her all cleaned up, I'll get some better shots posted.

I now have exactly what I wanted.... a G35x with paddles!.
    Ya, I know... the 08x Sport... but I wasn't about to trade in and take a financial smack just for paddles. :P

http://www.carspace.com/scottm123/Albums/Paddles/
    Grats! Nice job. Don't go having too much fun and get in trouble :) Love the graphite interior with wood trim... blast Infiniti for not allowing that option on Sport models!

Where'd you order the parts from? I don't need paddle shifters myself but it would be nice to know a good place to order OEM parts from.

kc
    I ordered them through Riverside Infiniti, located in CA.
    Members of G35Driver get a great discount by contacting Jason in the parts dept.
  • waltazwaltaz Member Posts: 163
    What do you all recommend for a trunk liner for a G35? The one from Weathertech? Any other options? Contact Jason at Riverside?
    Weathertech seems to have the best I could find.
    I bought one and it fits perfectly.
    BTW, Jason left Riverside... contact Tony if you need something.

Is there anyone here in the Mass area that can recommend a decent window tint place?
    I'm dyin' here.... I can't find a decent place to get this stuff done, not in my Central MA area anyway.

Best I've found so far is $225 for a 35% Dye-Metal film which is known for cutting FM Reception on cars with antennas built into the windows.

Anyone in the area get Ceramic tints? Where did you go??? :confuse:
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Not in your area, but I had Huper Optik tint put on mine - it's (ceramic) superior but slightly costly - no degradation in reception. If you go to their website, they might be able to supply a dealer handling it.
    Z
    Since my post abaove, I've found 2 installers in MA, but both are over an hour away.
    I may be in for a long day cause I really wanna get it done.

I'm also in the market for Huper... which is $125 more than the second quote I got, which is also ceramic but another brand.
    I think if you have the Huper Optik installed you'll be pleased and pretty amazed; I've had other generic brands of tint on virtually all of my cars but when I got into my G after having the Huper installed I was stunned. It really does cut out the heat in a dramatic way - quite noticeable....you'll like it.
    Z
    Zeke... what about the look?
    I'm interested in the Huper more than any other brand and willing to spend the extra dough for a great product, but I hear the look is different than other tints.
    I've heard it's bluer than most and that it allows more light in... and doesn't look as dark, even with the same % rating.

I'm in MA and can go no darker than 35%. I know that isn't too dark, but I also know that some tints appear darker than others visually.

Thoughts?
    Mine is lighter than I would have liked but the heat reduction is pretty significant and I thought that trade-off was positive. I have not noticed any blueish appearance at all but it definitely does appear that it's tinted. My car is white so the tint is pronounced. Mine is legal for Kansas but frankly don't know what the percentage requirement is, probably in the 30% range like MA.
    Your task will be to find a dealer. Why not contact Huper via their website & see if they would send you some small, representative samples of the product - don't know if they would but it might be worth a try.
    Z
This discussion has been closed.