Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd try a different phone if you can before trying to assail a compatibility glitch, which could be a very long haul.

If the new phone does the same thing....arghhh...I'm stumped.......
  • slzweibelslzweibel Member Posts: 33
    The call waiting works perfectly when not paired to the car so I have to assume it is the connection to the car. I could buy another phone but I rely on the Treo platform for now and I hear the 700p is awful. My dealer is ordering me a new bluetooth module for the car - we'll see if that fixes the problem.
  • nealnnealn Member Posts: 3
    Just a guess - this car doesn't have NAV? I noticed that the other gentleman takes the call using the touchscreen, and non-NAV cars don't have a touchscreen.
  • slzweibelslzweibel Member Posts: 33
    My car has Premium + Nav + Tech packages.
  • dajatdajat Member Posts: 13
    All of the the info I saw at the Infiniti Bluetooth Information Center indicated that call waiting is not supported on either of the certified Treo phones; the Windows Mobile-based Treo 750 or the Palm OS-based Treo 755p. I have a Treo 700p and it has worked well for the month that I have owned the car ('08 Prem + Nav G35x sedan), but I have not had a call waiting occurrence while in the car. Based on your experience, I doubt it will work, but for me it is less critical.

If you can stomach the trauma of a smartphone platform change, Infiniti's web site seems to indicate call waiting functionality on both the BlackBerry Curve models, 8300/8310 and the BlackBerry 8800/8820 models is supported. I believe the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software (which runs on your PC) includes a wizard for migrating your data, so it might not be too painful.

These would allow you to have the PDA features you currently have with the Treo 650. On the other hand, if you are running "must have" applications designed for the Palm OS platforms, you'd have to see if they are available for the BlackBerry (with a similar feature set) before making the switch.
  • koppsuzkoppsuz Member Posts: 13
    Anyone experiencing any smoking from a new G35 Infiniti AWD with 3500 miles on it. Took it to the dealer and was told this was due to the need for an oil change. I find this hard to believe the car is only 2 months old. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    I just came back from 600 mile trip and my windshield is damaged!
    I was driving thru a very bad sand storm and my windshield is covered
    with tiny scratches just about everywhere! It's not cracked anywhere, but scratches are very visible and looks awful!

Is my only solution replacing the windshield?
    I checked online and it looks like cost can be as little as $ 200 for
    OEM quality replacement.

Any thoughts and inputs will be appreciated. :cry:
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Was it by chance raining at the time, or were the roads wet?
    The G steams like crazy when it gets wet and it looks like smoke coming from the engine bay.
    The guy at your dealer is an idiot.
    The G does NOT smoke when oil changes are due!
  • beradberad Member Posts: 31
    I would try using some cerium oxide - wax on wax off. Its a glass polish that can remove some mild scratches and pitting from windshields. You may find it from a local Glass shop or on amazon.com and you do not need much. It's probably worth the $10-15 investment to try this before pricing windshields.
  • happycamryhappycamry Member Posts: 48
    Hi all, I've seen some other recent postings on rattles in various spots. Mine are frequent and on the increase even though my car is only one month old with 900 miles. Has anyone gotten a dealer to correctly fix these, and if so, what did they do? I've done online searching and have found a couple of posts that seem to indicate a similar problem to mine:

Smooth pavement is fine. When I drive on only moderately rough pavement, I hear a series of fairly high pitched rattles. Some have described as like the ticking of a clock. It's almost like few clicks of sound as if when you spin a bicycle spoke. Or maybe, a mosquito zapper high pitched metallic sound. (By the way, these rattles have nothing to do with the stereo-even if it's off I get the same annoying problem)

It's mainly coming from the right side. My best guess is that, since it's a metallic sound and coming from that area, it is in the washi panels, both front and back. I've grabbed the seat belts, etc., but that doesn't diagnose it.

It's driving me mildly crazy. My 8 year old BMW with 70,000 miles doesn't have a single rattle.

I hope some folks will weigh in as I really want to get this solved. I don't live near the dealer but will be taking it in two weeks from now to see if they can find it.
  • bcheatherbcheather Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 04 G35 sedan with 50,000 miles. I drive to work and around town - no unusual conditions. I have kept the oil and filters changed as needed. My question is should the transmission (auto) fluid be changed and the cooolant flushed? I haven't had either of these done and with the confusing three tier maintenance schedules in the manual I'm not sure what to do.
    Please help.
  • agm1agm1 Member Posts: 11
    I had the xmission completely drained with new filters and synthetic fluid replacing the original fluid at 30K at the dealers suggestion. The car has never run better with smoother shifts... almost imperceptible. I believe the coolant is good until 90K. I think that my 04 sport is bulletproof.
  • themdtnthemdtn Member Posts: 18
    If your ticking noise is similar to my, then it comes from the outside window glass molding. It's the horizontal chrome molding piece that is running on top of the door (a few inches atop of the door's handle) and below the bottom of glass with the window in close position. Just run your finger along the molding and press it downward to reseat it properly and the noise will stop. You might want to do similar thing with the other molding chrome pieces on the other 2 sides of the glass triangle.
  • bmajikbmajik Member Posts: 14
    Hello, I have narrowed it down to Blue Slate and Platinum Graphite. I was wondering if I could get some input regarding what color is easier to maintain or keep clean.

Thanks
    You have good taste... my final 2 color choices were the same and I ended up going with the Blue Slate. I like the way it changes color in different light.

To answer your question on care, the Platinum Graphite will be easier to care for. It doesn't show dirt as well and being a lighter color, it'll be easier to care for.

A friend here at work just bought an 08 Xs and after much thought of Silver, he went with Platinum Graphite. (My constant banter may have helped in swaying him :blush: )
    He parks right next to me and they look great next to each other.
    Can't go wrong with either color.
  • socrates17socrates17 Member Posts: 1
    There are too few reviews. (C'mon, folks, ante-up. Don't just be eyeballs (lurkers.)) 1 appalling review of Infiniti of Englewood which is really sad because I bought a G20 there in 2002 and the service department has just been wonderful through ownership changes from KEA to Prestige, to Park Ave. Now that they are Infinity of Englewood, and they told me they replaced all of the Park Ave. staff with "their own people" the sales people have become much more arrogant and there's been 1 awful review of the service department.
    I can't BELIEVE there are no reviews of Ramsey Infiniti. For 6 years, ever since I bought mine from KEA, I have heard (admittedly anecdotal) horror stories of dealing with them. There is even a report listed for them on Rippoffreports.com, but nothing on Edmund. This isn't Edmund's fault, it's yours for not writing your own reviews. I need good service deparment and I can't schlep over to Pepe's in White Plains on the basis of 1 good sales review and 1 good service review.
    Any one have anything further to add////
  • dukiedougdukiedoug Member Posts: 12
    I am currently looking at purchasing a 2006 G35 coupe with 35,000 miles on it. It is still under factory warranty. Do you think there is any need to buy the additional warranty (I believe Infiniti call it the Elite Extended Warranty)?
  • stef1974stef1974 Member Posts: 8
    back in 2005, i was in the same situation as you... I was looking at buying a 2003 G35 sedan. People kept telling me that I shouldn't bother getting the extended warranty as this model was very reliable. My warranty expired last year, and I've had a few thousand in repairs since then (replace radio which was running down my battery... replace both lower ball joints and front compressor rod). I think this was mainly due to the fact that the 2003 model was the first one to come out, and since then they've ironed out the kinks. I don't think that the extended warranty is worth it for a 2006... but if it's not too much more to extend, it's worth it for piece of mind...
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    I usually never bought them until a few years ago. I had my 2004 4runner coming out of warranty(you have until the factory warranty expires to buy an extended). I bought the extended warranty 2 weeks before my factory warranty expired. 4 weeks later I had the tensioner and v-belt go out. It would've cost me $600 to fix. The extended warranty cost me $800. A couple things later and the warranty paid for itself.

It's a gamble. Some people who keep their cars forever want a little piece of mind. It's all up to you.
  • ptfptf Member Posts: 2
    try turning off the child safety locks on the back doors.
  • g35jong35jon Member Posts: 5
    Anybody else have this problem?
    Air bag warning indiator light stays on after start up (2005 G35 with 22,000 miles). Dealership replaces a circuit board when this happens but problem just reappears.This problem has been "fixed" 3 times already in last 18 months. Clearly there is a manufacturer's defect my dealership has failed to remedy. My wife is afraid to drive the car with electronic /air bag defects and dealship tells they will only do what the manufacturer (Infiniti) let's them. A 2nd dealship agreed to attempt fix number 4 while car is still under warranty.
    PLEASE HELP ME -I I HAVE A :lemon:
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Does your airbag light stay on or flash? Mine was flashing and today the dealer replaced a switch. The bill is at my office so I cannot give a part number until Monday. We'll see if that fixes it. I had reset the airbag light and thought it was a random trigger because it stayed off for more than a week but then it came back on. So I took it to the dealer.

My car has 66000 miles and is on an extended warranty.

Now the dealer did say that they think they solved it because this is what they replaced on another car and it fixed that guy's issue. As I said, we'll see.
  • g35jong35jon Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply - air bag light flashes. Car going monday for it's fourth fix. last fix was only three month ago.
    When I get to the office on Monday I will find out what was replaced and let you know. May help.
  • allwsballwsb Member Posts: 1
    I have the similar issue. The air bag light stayed on after engin was on. It is in the shop now. The dealer just called said it is fixed after changed the Air Bag Assembly. I will see. The car is only 2750 miles. I have no problem driving the dealer loaner around which is the same car but on their gas. I will post update if I see anything new.
  • elmorocotopoelmorocotopo Member Posts: 3
    I looked around for an answer to this question but didnt see much.

I own a 2005 g35x with about 33K miles in it. I recently took my car in for an oil change and the dealer tells me that the belt is starting to crack and recommends replacement. Doesnt this seem a little aggresive? anyone else has experience something similar?

regards,

moroco
  • brian62brian62 Member Posts: 31
    Does Infiniti offer a loaner car if the car's repair is covered under the warranty? What about for oil changes and other maintenance if preformed at the dealer?

I am considering either the Lexus IS or the G35 and I have heard great things about Lexus service.
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    The two Infiniti stores I use in the Dallas-FT Worth area both provide a loan car regardless of the size of the maintenance/repair or if it is under warranty or not.
    We have two Infinitis, one bought from a Dallas dealer and the other from a mid-cities location. We are treated the same.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    You must really be torn between these two cars if its now down to the dealership services. You cant go wrong with either IMO since there are great cars. Whichever way you choose, good luck.
  • lovenavylovenavy Member Posts: 15
    at 7,500 mile the maintenance tire light comes on. i assumed it for tire rotation,but i have the sedan sports model with front 225/50/18 and 245/45/18 rear tire ,so they're fixed, also check the pressure in the tires and they're okay. i try to reset the computer, it didn't work. any advice out there. thanks. :confuse: :confuse:
    There are maintenance reminders that are set within the maintenace section.
    You must have one set to 7500 miles.
    They can be adjusted, or turned off.

Hit Info -> Maintenace -> Reminders

Alerts can also be set through the center console alert section.
    scott, i hit info>maintenance>reminders like you said. the alert on the center console turned off, but the alert (red color) on/between tachometer and speedometer stay on.
    how do i turn that off. thanks.
    Ah... There are two types of reminders. It sounds like they are boith set in your car.
    The first type is set within the touch screen as we discussed.

The second type of alert is within the center console display.
    You need to go through the screens there until you see the one for alerts and go down to Maintenance.
    There, you can set alerts for things like Oil Changes... and a little oil icon appears when the time comes near.
    These can also be turned off, or reset.

Let me know if that makes sense, or if you need more detail.

-Scott
    scott, no luck. i have tried everything. i reset all the reminders and the light between the console still stay on. guess i have to take it to the dealer. thanks.
  • darrinzramzdarrinzramz Member Posts: 24
    Hi my name is Darrin I just checked my air filter on my newly purchased G35 sedan(2004),year,from a Toyota dealer,the air filter was not changed for me before I bought the car(which should have been done).Any ways I purchased a K&N air filter,and now I notice this very little every-once in a while brief rough idle spot while at a stop light!!!??????,and suggestions on why this is happening!!???,any input would be appreciated thanks,Darrin :confuse:
  • sande1212sande1212 Member Posts: 1
    yesterday i did a huge drift in a cercil but then when i pulld up to stop my cars wheel whent all hard and it was imposable tu turn it the hydrolic did not help but after u press the gas pedal the wheel softens a bit and u are able to move it when u drive it is normol what is the risen for this and what can i do to fix it ...someone help a.s.p :confuse:
  • joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    Yeah, I got the same story @45K miles. Tech said that while it did seem unusual, it was not unheard of for belts to be cracking so soon. I have an '04X , with (now) 49K NYC miles. Something that falls under the replace now-better safe than sorry
    heading, IMO.
  • dukiedougdukiedoug Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased an '06 G35 coupe with 32k miles. I was wondering how often most people are changing their oil? The gentleman I purchased the car from had the oil changed every 5k and was using full synthetic oil. I have done some research online and ran into a brand called AMSOIL and they say you only need to change the oil every 25k, if your using their brand of engine oil. Seems a little high to me. Just curious what most people are using for engine oil changes and filters.
    Absolutely not!!!,I would not change from your full-synthetic oil to AMSOIL oil!!!,you really should change it every 5,000mi,Now if you abuse or drive extremely hard then change it every 3,000-4,000miles.Never let your oil go for 25,000miles,that's just not good for the car's engine,i believe,Darrin
    Hi,my name is Darrin and I too have a 2004 G35 sedan,try using a K&N air filter and change your plugs to a NGK laser fire plug,it may increase your mileage a little.I get about 20-21mi/gal on my car,Darrin
  • sevenawaysevenaway Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone had a problem with their window motors to the extent that even after three replacements, the window does still not work correctly. The passenger window drops a noticeable amount when you open the door while the driver window (with a new motor) barely moves at all. I have had this back to Infiniti three times and they still can't get it right.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • radioman18radioman18 Member Posts: 10
    Paul, I've had the same problem. The dealer told me it takes 20 minutes for the thermometer to calibrate correctly.That's pretty odd. But, sure enough, after 20 minutes of fluctuating readings (as much as 15 degrees off kilter), the system stabilizes.
  • brian62brian62 Member Posts: 31
    Just picked up my new G35 this weekend and was reviewing the service manual. It suggests oil changes every 3,750 miles for normal driving. Just curious to see what others are doing.

If I use synthetic oil will it extend this period?
  • adamr001adamr001 Member Posts: 95
    This is an age old argument. Some people say yes, some people say no. I'm in the second category. To me, contaminents are contaminents. They don't just come from the oil being worn down, but they come from the filter and other factors too. As much as we'd like to pretend that the oil systems in our vehicles are closed, they are, in fact, not closed system. Synthetic oil has, on the whole, more resistence to break down (good) but it does nothing to reduce the additional contaminents introduced everytime the system is opened, the filter gets a little old, etc. Then again, I'm leasing this one so I'm just staying with plain ol' dino oil and changing per the book. Most of the "stress" tests where you see synthetic "beating out" conventional oil are rigged. How? Well, they intentionally place the vehicle in state that encourages breakdown by heat. A state no normal driver will ever see. Some racer's see it, but you know what? Every racer I know changes their oil FAR more frequently than 3000 miles too because they KNOW they're breaking down the oil.

Ultimately, it's a personal choice and YMMV. :P
  • vybhavvybhav Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone,

I have a small dent on my new G35 :-( . I hit the car ahead accidentally. I called the Infiniti dealer and he said they don't repair dents and stuff. I live in San Diego. Any suggestions on where I can get it fixed in way that makes it seem it never existed ? I am a newbie and this is my first car . So, not much experience with all this .
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Vybhav
  • lewiswlewisw Member Posts: 16
    Had new OEM pads/aftermarket rotors put on my '04 G35 coupe. Ever since, they squeal backing up when applying brakes, but not when going forward and braking. Seems worse at very low speed (e.g. backing out of garage). Took it back and had pads "chemically treated" which helped for a few days, then it returned. It is annoying. What should I tell my independent garage to look for , or to adjust? Thanks!
    You can remove the fogging with a good cleaner wax and polish. I used Maguire Cleaner wax and polish when they fog up. They will stay clear after several applications. There are vent holes near the bottom of the lens to let out moisture. Do not clog these vents with xs polish.
    Try LaJolla Autobody off of Balboa and Mission Bay Drive....4260 Mission Bay Drive to be exact. 270 6821. They did a fantastic job on my Jag.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    My 2006 6MT Sedan with 23K miles on it, seems to have worn brakes already. My lease ends in October and I am sure I will need to change brakes prior to that. Will Infiniti mandate OEM brakes, or will I be able to get away with aftermarket? Also, normal for brakes to wear out at 23K miles?
    I've heard some owners getting low mileage from their brakes but for an 06 with the new larger brakes, 23K miles seems low. Do you drive hard? Is most of your driving urban where you are on the brakes more than a highway cruiser?

Aftermarket brakes are fine. No penalty there as long as they are the correct fit.