Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota

Comments

• E3MP6E3MP6 Member Posts: 70
    There's some stuff out that's made for use on rubber/poly surfaces. I've seen it at PepBoy's but you can probably find it at any good auto parts shop like Advance.
  • cortezj1cortezj1 Member Posts: 1
    My husband is in the market for a truck. Our mechanic said the Toyota Tacoma was the best made truck. He has driven the 4 cyl. S-10, Tacoma, Mazda 2300, Ranger XLT and the Dakota and he said the Dakota Sport V-6 rode the best. After reading all the comments about problems with the Dakota, we are afraid to buy the Dakota. He just wants a truck for driving, not major hauling or anything like that. We also can't decide if we should buy or lease. The Dakota is the 1999 and may have addressed previous problems. It is still too new for the reviews. If you have any advice on trucks (the small V-4's) or (the v-6's) please let us know. We want to get something soon.
  • kenningkenning Member Posts: 1
    what problems did u hear about the Dakota
    I'm looking to buy one
  • greggbgreggb Member Posts: 1
    To cortezjl on buying dakota:
    As for problems on Dakotas from what I can tell its mostly been tranny problems. And Ive noticed this on the V6 more than any. I know they put a heavy duty trans. in the V8. I just bought a 97 x-cab 4x4 v8 and really like it. Gas mileage isnt the best, and there is only 1-2 mpg difference between the v6 and v8, so you might as well get the v8. But if you're looking for a truck then mpg isnt one of your priorities.

Good luck
  • babcockrbabcockr Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 98 Dodge Dakota SLT+ 4WD 5.2 V8 Extended Cab with almost every option except the lumbar seat since Jan 98. I paid $24.5K for it. It's now Sep 28 and I have 13K miles on it, have driven it from Virginia to Iowa and back, etc.. I have had no problems with it at all. She's a beauty, a sort of metallic green with the silver trim and fender guards. Also have the chrome. It also came with the 8 speakers and CD. I have the overhead console which has the compass and gas mileage stuff, it works fine. As for gas mileage, I average about 11-12 in town and 15-16 on the highway. I get lots of good comments everywhere I go. This truck is awesome and I would recommend to anyone unless you don't like to fill-up every 250 miles for $20 a shot. One last thing, it rides like a dream....so dream on and buy one and enjoy the ride!!! Robin in Ohio
  • In41TimeIn41Time Member Posts: 8
    More kudos for the Dakota. Mine's a 1998 4X4, Extended Cab, Sport, V6 Automatic. Bought it last October 1st (1997). I have about 12K miles and have had no mechanical problems yet. I have had one minor interior problem with some of the plastic edging around the fold down center console on the front seat. Dealer took care of it. My advice is get the V8 instead of the V6. The mileage is not much worse and you'll have so much fun dustin' off Toyo's.
  • babcockrbabcockr Member Posts: 2
    Right on In4lTime!!!

...or for that matter, dusting off most pickups and several sports cars......

This truck rules and Edmunds picked it as an editors pick for 1998 in the Compact Pickup class, although I think it has its own class....Medium Size.

Laytuh!
  • 83008300 Member Posts: 4
    Need to know:
    Have been looking for a dakota for the last four months. Got a deal now about a 98 club cab with a v-6,plw,pl,auto,overhead console,4wd. With 6200 miles its a demo list at $24930 he will sell at $21500. Need to know is this a deal while the 99 are out or should I look for the 99
  • ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    #0 of 3: higgman (higgman) Tue 01 Sep '98 (12:13 PM)

1999's are finally out - and I am trying to find
    accurate info if the extended cab models will have
    third/fourth door option like the ram's?
    also, will there be a 4wd 5.9 v8 available
    thanks for your help

#1 of 3: rick63 (rick63) Thu 24 Sep '98 (01:26 PM)

Higgman, I have been driving my 1999 2x4 (loaded)
    for almost a month now and am enjoying it very
    much. The 3rd and 4th door is not an option, as far as I know anyway, and my experience is that the 5.9l is available in the R/T only, doubt they would offer a 4x4 R/T but again it was not something I was considering so I don't know for certain. I opted for the 5.2l because eventually I would like to get a camper and tow a ski boat. Don't have either yet but it never hurts to plan ahead. My belief is that the 5.2l has enough pulling and towing power for my purposes, currently getting 16.5 mpg in seattle traffic. enjoy

#2 of 3: krusty (krusty) Mon 28 Sep '98 (06:21 PM)

Does anyone have any comments on the towing
    ability of the 3.9L V6 engine for towing an 18'
    boat ? I am trying to figure out whether to go
    with the 3.9 or 5.2 V8....
    Thanks
  • ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    #0 of 0: chad_n (chad_n) Sun 27 Sep '98 (03:56 PM)

Hi. I am currently investigating buying a fairly
    loaded 99 R/T club cab. I love the truck but my
    main concern is the quality problems I've seen
    with the 98 Dakotas in general. Mostly tranny,
    suspension(front) and brake problems. Any
    comments?
    8300 -
    Sounds high but you don't mention if demo model is the SLT, Sport, Sport Plus etc...
    For what's it's worth...the MRSP you quote of $24930. is about $1300. more than my 1998 Dakata (Sport, 4x4, Club Cab, V6, Auto, Air, 31 X 10.5 Tires) which I paid $21,500 for a year ago today and it had less that 3 miles on it.
  • E3MP6E3MP6 Member Posts: 70
    In41Time is right. I special ordered mine and it had an MSRP of $24,445, got it for 21,500. Not as good as some deals I've read about, but Excellent since I special ordered it...
  • rehoyerrehoyer Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know about the cd, and stereo in the Dakota. Does anyone have bad sound, or a cd that skips on the road? I'm about to order my first Dakota, and would like some input!!
  • darrell1darrell1 Member Posts: 1
    My local dealer is trying to shaft me. What is the best way to get a fully loaded Dakota from any where in the country and having it shipped here?
    hptdyber@sover.net
  • moparrmoparr Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 98 dakota sport v6 longbed auto no powerwindows or anything.It was brandnew when I
    bought it.I paid 17900 out the door just
    wandering if I got a good deal?
  • 83008300 Member Posts: 4
    yo moparr what kind of dakota a sport,slt,club cab, new, used, demo, what other options air, tilt. I am looking for a 2wd or 4wd.
  • keethkeeth Member Posts: 2
    Hey all, I'm wanting to get a 99 dakota sport
    soon and am wondering about anyone's experiences
    with the full-time 4wd option. Is there still
    a low-range? If there is good traction, is it
    normally rear wheel drive, or are all wheels
    powered? Can anyone enlighten me?
  • thiebthieb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 4X4 Extended Cab 4K miles getting 13.5 to 14.5 hwy mpg. Has anyone had this same trouble remedied by a dealer? My local dealer says everthing checks out OK. Sticker says 17 hwy mpg.
    HELP. By the way with this kind mileage it is FOR SALE!!
  • WoodbeeWoodbee Member Posts: 3
    Just for Info: I just ordered a `99 Dakota Club Cab 2X4 5.2L Auto Trans. SLT+ included All options except power seats and upgraded radio. Even got the leather wrapped steering wheel. Got it all! No 4-wheel drive though--I`m a Senior Citizen,a gravel drive-way is as rough as I want it. Now the good part--pay attention children--I paid $19662 in Washington State. This might be a good gage for for you young people so you don`t pay too much. Good Luck---GRAMPS!!
  • dakotagirldakotagirl Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to buy a 1998 Dodge Dakota, extended cab, and it's my first car. I'm not too sure what a good price to agree on would be. I'm 18, and I know not to be taken advantage of, however, salespeople are pretty crafty. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • dakotagirldakotagirl Member Posts: 2
    Oh, and also I was curious as to what the advantages of rear wheel drive are...
    DakotaGirl
    Here's the deal I got. Hope it helps you.
    Bought my 1998 Dakata for $21,500. It has the following (Extended Cab, Sport Package (#26B), 4x4, V6, Auto, Air, 31 X 10.5 Tires, Light Group, Skid Plate Group, Sliding Rear Window, Power 6X9 Mirrors, Fog Lamps, Tilt Steering, Front Floor Mats, Under-the-rail bedliner). The list was
    $24,685 less Dodge's $1200 discount or $23,485. and I got it for $21,500. The main advantage of rear-wheel drive is towing ability. Check out Edmunds (www.edmunds.com) to calculate the what the dealer paid for the vehicle. You'll should end up paying somewhere between the dealer cost and the list price (closer to the dealer cost). At this point the 98 is a leftover since the 1999's are in the showrooms. Keep that in mind because for resale the 98's are really considered last year's model. GOOD LUCK!
    OH YEAH...I almost forgot, the main advantage of rear wheel drive vehicles are their towing ability.
  • WoodbeeWoodbee Member Posts: 3
    Dakota Girl------Why not order a `99 (see response #79) There`s a $500 discount now in affect. You`ll get the truck equipped just like you want.Good advice on price and equipment is right here so take advantage of it!

good advice
  • dsmith2dsmith2 Member Posts: 2
    Hey anyone have any idea whats going on with the front end geometry on these trucks? I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing outside edge wear on the front tires. I've got a 2WD Reg. cab V-8 with Goodyear LS 235-70's on the 15 x 8" rims.
  • bcsimscabcsimsca Member Posts: 3
    They're going to see you coming!!! So you really need to have an idea of what you want, like 2X4 V8 stick. Then when you go to test drive the truck, decide before you go, that no matter what, you're not buying that day!!! Test drive the trucks with the engine size and transmission that you're interested in. If you want a stick, test drive a truck with a stick to see if it's comfortable to shift. Don't drive the V8 auto when you're only interested in the 4 cyc because you'll be disappointed in the performance when you get the smaller engine. Also, sit in the truck with both bucket seats and a bench seat. I'm 5'2" and the bucket seats bothered me even during the test drive (I'm too small so the lumbar support hits me in the middle of my back, very uncomfortable.) And check out all the options, and if you're motivated, then check into prices. Then leave. You can sleep on it, and if the truck of your dreams is on the lot, call first thing in the AM to make an appointment to purchase. Or you can have the dealer try to find one with the options you want, or you can order a '99. At any rate, if you give yourself some time to walk away, you won't feel pressured to make a decision and then feel taken advantage of. Also, you'll have time to check the invoice prices with exactly the options you want. The truck or one very similar to it will be on the lot sometime in the near future if the one you were looking at got sold!

When I ordered my '99 Dakota, I knew the options better than the salesperson. I also shopped 4 different dealerships until I found one that treated me like I had a clue and didn't give me the little lady attitude! The advice I got here helped a lot. Of course, this process did take almost three weeks, but I'm getting exactly what I want (except I really wanted a '99 emerald green Sport but Dodge discontinued that color in the sport, and I couldn't find a '98 with the options I wanted, so I was SOL on that.) I've ordered a '99 SLT plus 2X4 club cab in metallic red, V8, stick, tow package, power everything, and (the coolest) the steering wheel radio controls!

You'll be spending a lot of money on this purchase, so you should do your research and get something you'll be really happy with. You won't regret it.
  • greg20greg20 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah,
    The Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd has this mill.I have a
    97 with the 5.2 and it smokes the Dakota in acceleration.Could be the 3.73 gearing???
  • greg20greg20 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if you could put the r/t wheels and
    rubber on a ext 4x4 Sport?
  • mckowskimckowski Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know which tires come with the SLT+ club cab? Is TUT a no cost option with ATK and 26G?
    -Thanks
    Mark
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    You could always read all the messages in this group. Most, if not all, of your questions have already been answered. Just click on 'see all responses' under the group name at the top of the page.
  • str021str021 Member Posts: 1
    Own a 92 Dakota,v6, ext. cab. Noticed roof dull after polishing, dealer fixed. Noticed paint on hood was 2 different colors. Dealer fixed. In 94, paint started peeling by left rear tail light. Dodge only agreed to fix a small area only. Now it's 6 years old with 50% of the paint gone and rust appearing on the roof where the first problem appeared. I wonder if anyone out there got any results and how successful where they. I noticed a few of the 96 Rams have small paint problems. Does Dodge have major paint problems or what???
  • mcmmlmmcmmlm Member Posts: 3
    Just ordered a 99 Dakota Club Cab SLT+ 4X2.
    Options:
    23G-Quick Order Package
    ATK-Power Convenience Group
    BGK-4 Wheel Anti Lock
    LNJ-Fog Lamps
    GFD-Sliding Rear Window
    EHC-V6
    DDQ-5 Speed Manual
    DSA-Anti Spin Differential
    DMD-3.55 Rear gear
    NBN-Emissions For NJ
    The real question is, did I get riiiippppppppped off. I paid $18,911 before tax and tags.

I am also interested in hearing from owners of '99 models. Are they the truck that people make them out to be?

I ordered this over a Ford Ranger due to size and looks.
    Is the V6 a no cost option with Quick Order package 23G. Three dealers said no, but I don't believe them.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    my ram is up on lease here in a month and i'm pondering getting a club cab v/8 dakota. does anyone here have any experience with the full-time 4x4 version that is available for 1999. i'm not sure if this was an option last year or not. thanks for any comments or suggestions ahead of time.
  • jayd2jayd2 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know if 4-door version for Dodge Dakota coming out?
  • WildlifeWildlife Member Posts: 2
    looking at a 93 Dakota Club Cab 4X4. Auto trany, 5.2L V8. 63000 miles... It's in great shape, the owner is a truck driver and only puts about 40-50 miles per week on it cause he's gone all week. It has hail damage on the hood and roof, which the insurance company is gonna fix. He's asking blue book value for it: $10500. Does anyone know of any problems I should be aware of that may be sneaking up on this truck? The brakes have been done all around and the emergency brake cable has been replaced... other than that the trany and engine seem sound. Your comments are welcomed... Thanks in advance.
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    To MCMMLM regarding whether or not you got ripped.

I was offered a 1999 Dakota Ext. Cab Sport

5.2 liter V8 engine
    Anti-Spin Differential
    Automatic
    Air Conditioning
    Power Convenience
    Deluxe Convenience Group
    Fog Lamps
    3.55 axle
    Anti-Lock Brakes
    Heavy Duty Service Group
    Tow Package
    Tire & Handling Group
    Sliding Rear Window

All of this for the low low price of $20,400. Plus there is a $500 rebate going on, so I CAN get this for $19,900, plus he's throwing in a bedliner.

I might get this, but I'm also thinking about getting an R/T. Does anyone own one? Any complaints/pleasant surprises? Thinking about one with an extended cab and all the above options.
  • rhiot84rhiot84 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a '99 Dakota Sport on September 3rd. No truck yet. The salesman says all Dodge is rolling off the line right now is the SLT. Anyone have a clue as to whether this is true or he's blowing smoke?
    Just got a call from the dealer, it appears as if Chyrsler did not have the anticipation needed to supply enough manual transmissions for the demand. The net, the 99 SLT 4X2 I ordered won't be built until the second or third week in December. Anyone out there having the same trouble.

Should I opt for the auto? I hear that they are real troublesome.

Need some advice.
  • bcsimscabcsimsca Member Posts: 3
    Guess I just am, at the moment. Ordered my SLT 4X2 with manual transmission on Oct 1, and I just love my new truck! Got it last Thursday. Took 2 weeks to ship to CA, but it worked out best, as the $500 rebate ended up being $1500 (something about different rebates for different regions and options, whatever!) Now I have to decide whether to go with the 5-year/75,000 miles or the 7-year 100,000 miles warranty. I do drive just under 15,000 miles/year on every car I've ever owned. Any opinions?
  • dlovelandlovelan Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a used Dakota, ranger or S-10 in the 1992-1993 range. I like to Dakota better but it seems to be a bit more expensive. Is there any thing I need to watch out for in these older Dakotas?
  • dakota71dakota71 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first venture into this sight.
    I ordered my 97 Dakota and took delivery in Feb 97. It is V6 3.9 extended cab shortbed 4x4 sport model. It is a great truck, but I am starting to get disappointed with it. I have had to have the radio replaced, the center console replaced twice (split bench seat). I have 38,000 miles on it and the tires are not wearing evenly and are scalloping (or pickling unevenly). My latest problem is that, driving between 60-70 mph the engine sounds really loud but the RPM's do not go up. I could feel and here vibration where my transfer case is. I noticed one night that I was leaking gear oil. I took to the dealer and they said I had a crack in my transfer case. They replace the transfer case but the truck is still leaking gear oil and sounds and runs horrible. I have never taken the truck off road, I usually drive it about 35 miles each way to work and then on weekends . I have scanned a lot of these posts and noticed people talking about tranny problems. Has anyone had this type of problem with their Dakota? my opinion is that this shouldn't happen with only 38,000 miles on the engine and the truck is not driven hard. I would be interested to hear any feedback.
    ddakota71@yahoo.com. Thanks sorry so longwinded.
  • tdsrjqtdsrjq Member Posts: 3
    hello: am close to ordering a new 99' 4x4 extended cab, v8 (v6 seemed sluggish). i really
    like manual transmission, but have found NONE to test drive in a 4x4. ordering a manual 4x4 without having driven one does not appeal to me. Does anyone have a manual transmission 4x4? any problems? i am a little concerned about resale value on a manual transmission...any experiences/thoughts on that?

thanks.
  • JBensonJBenson Member Posts: 1
    If you're worried about resale, definitely opt for the AT ... not to mention the tremendous convenience of never having to shift. The difference in gas mileage isn't terribly significant.
  • dpeabodydpeabody Member Posts: 6
    tdsriq: I just took delivery of my 99 v8 4x4 club cab with a manual(every option but auto and full time 4 wheel drive). I have always been the
    shift it myself type, and am very surprised at the overall shift quality of the transmission. The clutch isn't too heavy, and the throws are pretty short and tight for a truck. From reading through these posts, it seems like the majority of Dakota problems are due to auto transmissions, so I figured I would trade a little resale value for peace of mind. Plus you get the added bonus of being able to easily pull away from pretty much all other trucks (and most cars) in stop light drag races (if thats your thing). This truck is as quick as my Integra GS-R (Acura's small sports car) 0-60. Good luck!
  • dpeabodydpeabody Member Posts: 6
    tdsriq: By the way, my dealer ordered the truck for me (they don't carry too many manual v8s) and it arrived in under 4 weeks. I paid $500 over invoice (plus I got the $500 rebate). Don't let them sell it to you for any more than that...there are dealer incentives and a pretty big holdback on the truck.
    dpeabody:
    thanks much for your response. am still indecisive about the purchase: it's a big financial commitment (well, for me), but a new kick-butt truck is something i've wanted for a long time. it sounds like you are pretty satisfied with your truck. i really appreciate your informative response!

thanks.
    but wait...is the dakota a kick-butt truck that's worth the money? it's a fine looking vehicle, but i am worried that it's reliability is sub-par. i just don't want to get burned...i'm used to driving vehicles that are low glitz, but extremely reliable...
  • miner991miner991 Member Posts: 11
    I am looking at a '99 4x4 Club Cab and was wondering about the size of the back seats. I know it's difficult to fit adults in the back. Do the extra seats just end up being storage space?
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    Miner991,

Just bought a 99 Dakota R/T, Extended Cab. Back space is cramped and I'm 5'7" (had to test it out to see whether I should torture my friends or not). It is also difficult getting into the back. If the people sitting in the back aren't very big (5'10" or larger), it should be ok for short trips if the front seat is moved as far forward as comfortably possible.

I just use mine MOST of the time for storage space, but it does get used once in a while when I'm going out with friends. More leg room and space to tilt your seat back.

I honestly could NOT do without an extended cab.
This discussion has been closed.