Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota

Comments

• jesse1jesse1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any performance data for the dakota r/t??
  • erickarterickart Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone recommend a good Dodge dealer/salesperson in the St. Louis area? I would also like to know if anyone has had any experiences purchasing a Dakota from one of these "invoice or less" dealers? Specifically, Melton Dodge and Mark Roberts Dodge in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area.
    Thanks!!!
  • markymmarkym Member Posts: 6
    Summer 1998 issue of"Power Wagon & Sport Utilities" took a stock extended cab r/t to 15.37 at 89.26 mph. They got it down to 14.73 @ 91.59 mph varying tire pressure and removing the factory airbox. They suspect a .4 to .5 drop for a regular cab. May be time to trade off the 96 Ram.
  • awilkins1awilkins1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the 0-60 performance of the R/T?
  • DmatDmat Member Posts: 43
    Miner991,

The thing that you have to think about is that the Dakota offers the MOST room in the rear. If you think that you need more you might want to consider a full size.

Matt D
    mjdrake@yahoo.com
  • jlh2jlh2 Member Posts: 2
    RE: several inquiries concerning used Dakotas

Here is my experience, for what it is worth.

I bought a (then new) Dakota ext cab, 4WD, 6 cyl, with manual trans in 1993 and now have 64K miles. I take pretty good care of it. Oil change every 3K to 4K miles, mostly highway miles commuting to work, etc. Only major problem was the radiator, which cracked at the crimp between the plastic tank and the aluminum. Cost about $250 to replace it with a good (brass tank) radiator. I know the radiator shop owner and he said that he has had to replace many Dakota radiators for the same reason. Also, the release handle on the emer brake broke and fell apart (after the warranty expired). Now I reach down and pull the cable to release the brake. I have had a few electrical problems that have left me stranded (3 times). No transmission problems yet, as a few people mentioned. I love the extended cab. I would never purchase a truck without it.

I am now looking for a new truck. I am considering the Ranger/Mazda, Toyota Tacoma, and the Dakota. I am suspicious of Ford, Toyota costs too much, and I am somewhat underwhelmed with the Dakota's reliability. Life is full of trade-offs!

One consideration for me is being able to fit a Honda 4-wheeler in the bed and still shut the tailgate. I know I can do it in a Dakota. I am pretty sure I can do it in a Tacoma. But I'm not sure about the Ranger/Mazda. It's too close to call by measuring. It depends upon where the tires and racks hit on the truck. Anyone know the answer?
    All I could find was a vague reference to an under 8.0 to 60 time from Chrysler press materials. Seems no magazine performed this test.

Anybody have any reasons (other than towing) to keep a 1996 Ram 1500 (5.2L) instead of trading it for a Dakota R/T?
  • awilkins1awilkins1 Member Posts: 2
    I remember seeing a review on TNN (Motor Trend..I believe) for the R/T model. They said 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. They also mentioned something to the effect of it's handling characteristics being comparable to a Mercedes (I can't recall which model of Mercedes).

I know I've answered my own question (Question # 216). I was looking for verification on the numbers. It should be able to beat any truck on the road. As far as beating the new Mustangs with 260HP and the Camaro's and Trans-Am's with 305 or 320HP.......I don't think the R/T has a chance. I don't have anything against the R/T.....I'm considering buying one.

Can anyone think of a reason why I would buy an R/T (5.9L V8) over the Regular Sport model with a 5.2L V8? Would the depreciation of the two be equal over time?

I would appreciate any responses.
    Thanks,
    Adam
  • miner991miner991 Member Posts: 11
    After I posted to this list a salesman from Albuquerque contacted me saying he will sell basically any Dodge for $99 over invoce. I haven't contacted him, but it appears to be professionally done. Here is the web site with the details:
    http://members.xoom.com/99overNvoice/Index.htm
    This could very easily save several thousand dollars and I imagine this is who I will be talking to when I decide to buy. If anyone has done this or has any more details I would be interested in hearing about them.

Thanks,
    Brian
    I would think there may be some extra value to an R/T since the 5.9L V8 is nearing the end of production. New V8s like the 4.7 that came out in the Grand Cherokee will replace the 5.2 and 5.9. I haven't heard any rumors on what that means for an R/T. I was able to drive a 5.2L Sport 5 speed regular cab. It was quick, but the dealer did not currently have an R/T in stock to compare it to.

Mark
  • kelikikeliki Member Posts: 4
    I've heard that Dodge is coming out with a quad cab Dakota with the new 4.7 V8. Has anyone out there know when this is going to happen? I'm currently living in Japan and will be moving to Louisiana in March. I planed on purchasing a Dakota Sport Plus 4X4, but would wait for the above mentioned. My brother owns a 97 Dakota SLT 4X4 with the V6 and has no problems, I just have to out do him! Any info anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

PS

Can anyone recommend a decent dealership is the Shreveport area?

Thanks
    Chris
  • oldpilotoldpilot Member Posts: 1
    I've only had three significant problems with my '97 Dakota Sport. At 6K miles, it suddenly sheared the power steering pump shaft. That was a handful! Like losing the aileron boost in a F-80 or T-33! The pump, belt and tensioner was replaced by a dealer in Newburgh NY, but the new tensioner failed within a week and had to be replaced again.

The second problem has yet to be corrected. After 1-3 hours of Interstate driving, the cruise control cuts out and will not reset unless I pull off, stop, shut the engine down and restart. Like losing Mach Hold on the autopilot!

Last, the front bumper was inadequately phosphoric pickled and flushed prior to priming and painting, so rust spots started popping out all over it. My Memphis dealer replaced it, but it took over two months to get a new one. If body parts take that long, I don't know what folks who have been unfortunate enough to get into a minor wreck are expected to do.

I really like the truck, but I have concern over possible spare parts availability problems.
  • herveherve Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 4x2, automatic, in Oct and have a minor problem that occurs probably 75% of the time. When I first start the truck, like in the morning when the engine is cool, the engine rev's high for a couple of seconds then drops to normal. When I put it in drive and give it gas, the RPM's go way up, but the truck barely moves. It goes away after about a minute or so, but with all the talk in here about transmission problems I'm a little worried. I brought it back to the dealer and, of course that day the problem didn't happen, they said it could have too much transmission fluid and it "froths" when its cold and causes the tranny to slip. They drained the fluid, but it still happens. Anybody else have this problem, or know what it is? Thanks.
    Thanks for going to my page. I expect orders to increase as time goes on. However, in the 4 weeks that it has been up and running, I have taken three orders. One of which is soon to arrive.
    I did try to keep the site as professional as possible, and one night, waiting for a page to load with over 40 jpg's, I decided to cut out some of the graphics for quicker download. In the address (post #221) if you replace Index.htm with
    Index2.htm you will get the way less graphic version.

Herve,
    Sounds very odd. I'll see if my service dept. has ever heard of that problem.

Matt D
    mjdrake@yahoo.com
  • blackie2blackie2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi This is my first time on the net so I might make a mistake. I havea 98 rt Dokota club cab 5.9 it is loaded tilt wheel, cd& cassette&equalizer power mirrors cruse control. the sticker was 24,285 it was marked up to 30,000 I got it for 28,000 I think it was the first rt in town. It has about 5,000 on it now with no trouble. It handels grate like a sports car very perics steering. It needs more weight in the back traction is a proublem when you get on it hard it lights up the tires, it is alought of fun to drive. I get about 12.5 to 13 in town hard to keep my foot out of it, have not been out of town yet. I think it is the best truck I have had in a loung time, I traded in a 97 ram with a 318 it was a good truck but not a rocket like the RT.
    Don't worry about it, we all have made mistakes. On these boards you will see people use two common anacronyms:

BTW = By the way
    KBB = Kelly's Blue Book

glad to hear that you like your R/T.

Matt D
  • sgrantsgrant Member Posts: 5
    Matt,
    I purchased a 1999 ext cab 4x4 V8/auto in november. I like the truck but people need to be aware of the overdrive transmission. It can be turned off but it resets whenever the ignition is turned off then on. This sounds like no big deal but I do service work and it causes the transmission to go into overdrive above 30 mph driving slow through neighborhoods. The trans goes into 4th gear and locks the converter. When you press the gas it can't decide where to go. It makes it difficult to drive at slow speeds. It wouldn't be bad if the OD defaulted to off and you could turn it on. I only tell you this because it appears you are making a good attempt to provide a specialized dodge buying service and people should be told how OD works on this truck.
    I am currently checking to see if dodge has a performance chip that would adjust the trans shift points. I'll post if I find out. If you have any info from your service department let me know.
    Steve
  • tombatomba Member Posts: 8
    I've got a '97 Dakota Ext cab V8 on a 24 month lease. My buddy at the dealer is 75 miles away. The rear end dripped badly Day 1. It was a bad casting. I fixed it with JB weld, but only after towing, lost time, paying $80 to put it on the rack and clean it. Dodge insisted on replacing it, and they put in another one that dripped. I ate the $80. The CD player went out (many of them do) soon after. They can't just fix them, its one day in the shop, send it to repair, and come back in two weeks, but I haven't had the time. The tires wore unevenly and had to change at 20K, the tow-in not a warranty item. Front bumper paint pickled. Front brake discs went south before any noise at all at 22K, $500 fix not warranted. I never reported any of this on the survey, the sales manager is a friend of mine still. Other than that, its a good truck.
  • dsmith2dsmith2 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone thats interested in finding out about recalls and other problems should log onto ALLDATA.COM. By the way, I've got a 97 2wd V-8 Dakota with 55000 miles on it and it still runs and drives flawlessly. I ordered it with most of the options and have added the center bug shield, bumper bra, wheel flares, bed liner, and spare wheel lock. Still looks new, except when its covered with road salt from these new york winter roads! Happy motoring.
  • marklettmarklett Member Posts: 5
    I had an 87 V-6 dakota, long bed. never had a problem with tranny or engine. Was constanly changing u-joints. Got 186,000 on it without much repair and after 11 yrs strated to see some rust spots. Lotta salt where i live. Alsmost 2 yr ago bought a 97 special order from factory. V-6, Auto,AC,HD package,Long Bed ,cloth high back bench, Lockup Rear end, and ABS. Paid 15200 dealer came in right at Edmonds price. Old truck had over the rail liner and eat paint off bed. Got under bed liner on 97 and its worse than over bed.
    The bed is the flemest piece of sheetmetal I ever saw . I have since been rear ended. Had all damaged fixed but on bed. I'm straighting myself and then I'm gonna get the thing painted Rhino hide inside and out. Any thoughts on this fix ?
  • glenroseglenrose Member Posts: 13
    I had over the rail rhino on mine i think its great. Would never have anything else..
  • fry1fry1 Member Posts: 1
    What is "Rhono"? I am new to all of this and am about to purchase a new 99 Dodge Dakota. Is it best to get over the rail liner if I plan to use a tonneau cover?
  • littlenovalittlenova Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to buy a 99 Dakota Sport, anybody have any comments about the 99 dakotas??
    Thanks for the advise, I took off for a week for X-Mas. I'll ask about a chip for the trans.

99's are just fine. Haven't heard of any problems so far.

Matt D
  • marklettmarklett Member Posts: 5
    fry1
    Rhino Hide is a spray on liner. Rhino Hide is one brand name of several companies that sell the spray on liner.
    I have had both over rail and under rail liners. They both move around in the bed (shimmy) and rub off the paint. On the other hand they do protect the bed from dents. Often you will be told the under bed liner won't rub the paint off. Believe me it will and it does not protect the bed as well as a over the rail. Also if you hual dirt, sand etc , the under bed liner will allow the material to get under the bedliner while the over rail will not.
  • clochaseclochase Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 1993 Dakota Sport, 2WD, Ext Cab, V6 5-sp manual in November of 1992. Problems with truck include: Pitting paint on driver's side, rust on lower mudgard, driver's side, 2 clutch release bearings replaced, radio (stereo cassette) failed after one year, a stuck hydraulic lifter after one year. Rear gearing is 3.21. I average between 19-21 MPG with a 60/40 Highway/secondary road mix. Normal highway speed is 65 MPH, in 5th gear, engine turns at 2000RPM. The 3.21 axle is the way to go for economy, and the performance isn't too bad. No towing, or I would have opted for the 3.55.
  • hal11hal11 Member Posts: 1
    Have 97 4X4 sportcab V8, auto, fully loaded even surpassing the SLT package. Awesome machine! Run it in Death Valley, Southern Cal deserts etc. Daily driver. My only problem is they put a battery cover around the OEM battery. According to Interstate dealer that kept the battery from breathing and he said leave it off. Did so but to soon to tell. The OEM battery died(burnt up) after a year. Desert heat maybe. Sorry to hear that some folks having problems. Sounds like my 81 Ford Bronko P.O.S.
  • pablitopablito Member Posts: 1
    Have a 94 Dakota SLT 4x4 extended cab V6. Have had no real trouble from it, but recently and occasionally the automatic tranny clunks when shifted into reverse. The truck only has 25,000 miles on it [ I drive it daily about 12 miles round trip to/from work]. Any ideas?
  • dd604dd604 Member Posts: 1
    Hi There,
    I'm new at surfing, but, I do have a 97 Dakota slt ext. cab. V6 4WD w/the works. (tilt,cruise,CD,trail pk,etc.) I have had no problems with it so far.(knock on wood) I had a 91 Dakota V6 Long bed w/stick shift, 2wd. The only reason I traded it was the cab was to tight.
    I put a under rail liner on the new truck, to take the lid that I had put on and painted to match. I also had the same liner on the old truck, and you are right, dirt and sand does get under it. I don't haul any dirt or sand with the new one, but I did put a couple coats of wax on the bed before the liner was put on. I had a 3 week wait for the liner..I like hearing of no major prolems on the newer Dakotas, as this is my first automatic w/4WD. Keep up the good work.
  • dpattondpatton Member Posts: 14
    I'm in need of advice from some real truck owners. I'm looking to buy my first truck. I want a truck that can pretty much go anywhere and do anything. In shopping around, the Dakota seems to fit the bill pretty well. Not too big, and not too small. Dealers are horrible to talk to about getting quality info. So, here are a few questions for you experts out there.

I'd like to have the capability of towing a two-horse trailer. I know the truck is rated for 6500 lbs. However, I have yet to actually see anyone towing that much. Has anyone out there seen a Dakota pull a two-horse trailer? Or, is that too much for this truck?

What is the benefit and penalty of the 3.55 vs 3.92 gear ratio?

I have read quite a few complaints about transmissions. I've driven a stick all my life, so a manual doesn't scare me. Which is more reliable?

Thanks for your help and look forward to hearing from you.

DPatton925@aol.com
  • manuelbmanuelb Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking about buying a Dakota. I have read all the posting in this townhall. I now beleive that I am going to buy the V8 over the V6.

I also have the Edmunds 1999 Winter Truck Issue on dealer invoice. I am going ask the dealers about their price on a 1999 Reg. Cab with a 5.2 Liter engine. I don't want a lot of options. I only want Air/Cond, PS, AM FM Cassete. I wish I could get the other options but I am on a strict budget. The only extravagence that I can really justify is the V8 and the gas and insurance.

Does anyone know of a good Dodge dealer in the Fresno or San Jose-Gilroy area? I would be willing to go just about anywhere in California to make a good deal.

Also I plan to either get
    1) the Rhino Spray or the overim bedliner, which is better?
    2. can you still use the tourent (sp?) bed cover if your use a overrim bedliner?
    3. If I use a 5sp manual transmission with the V8 will that spare me the tranny problems that some Dak owners have had with the Automatic Tranny?
    4. I wish I could get the extended cab but the only way I can afford the V8 is to forego on the extended cab. Is this a good idea? Or should I go with the V6 and go with the extended cab.
    5. What do type of axle will I need to regular driving in town and long commutes?
    6. How much does a Leer shell cost for the Dak 4x2 short bed? How much is a SnugTop? Which brand is better?
    7. Should I get the long bed instead for resale value?

This will be my first truck and I really could use some advice. I live in Fresno but I would be willing to go anywhere in california for a good deal.
    I would really appreciate any help before I deal with the sharks at the dealerships.

thank you ManuelB
  • clochaseclochase Member Posts: 4
    Answers to some of your questions (my opinion only):

#3: The 5-speed is reliable, providing Dodge has addressed the problem of premature release bearing failure since 1993 (I've had three in my truck). Recommend that you switch to auto trans fluid in the manual unit, after the warranty period has expired. The transmission will shift much more smoothly.
    #4: If your driving is mostly highway, you don't tow, and you don't carry heavy loads, the V6 is adequate with the 2WD and 5sp, even with the extended cab option.
    #5: The V6 5-sp manual 2WD comes standard with Dodge's lowest-geared rear end, the 3.21 axle. If you don't specify anything ales (3.55 and 3.90 are the optional ratios) you will get the 3.21, which is the best for economy. Good luck.
  • wpeng1wpeng1 Member Posts: 12
    I am in the same boat with you and looking for a V8, 2wd, 5sp, regular cab, short bed.
    First of all, get the v8, it is powerful, reliable and have good mpg as v6. (a $500 opt)
    2wd, since I want it just for fun, several grands for 4wd, which is heavier, unreliable, and uesless for me, doesn't make sense.
    reg. cab is more agile(36ft vs 40 turn cycle of ex. cab) and save a couple of thousand.
    5sp for reliability.
  • manuelbmanuelb Member Posts: 4
    Thank You, clochase and wpeng1,
    My Autobytel dealer called me this morning with a price quote on a Regular Cab SLT V6 with a 23G Quick order Package, a EHC V6 3.9 liter, GFD Rear window. He gave me a total price (Tax, fees, and license) of $16,310.

Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, is it really true that a Sport trim would actually be more expensive with all these options bought to match the 23G Quick order Package?

Anyways, thank you wpeng1 and clochase for the advice and good luck wpeng1 on your purchase.

Manuel b
  • wpeng1wpeng1 Member Posts: 12
    Manuelb:
    According to Edmund's, your s should have roughly 14.6k invoice
    12.1k(base)
    2k(23G)
    .1k(GFD)
    .5k(destination)
    you can figure out how much over invoice the deal is.
    Actually, I think the sport trim is a better deal.
    For v6:you can't get as much as you do from slt, but pretty close.
    12.1k(base)
    .83k(23B)
    .13k(ADA)
    .15k(22G tank plus GFD)
    .7k(AC)
    .5k des.Total: 14.5k
    If you go with V8, that's a different story.
    V8, 5sp,2wd
    .83k(25B)
    .13k(ADA, lighting group)
    .9k(AGU, sport plus pack. including fog lamp, bigger tire, air con.,22g tank, not available with v6)
    .1k(GFD)
    .5k(V8 engine)
    .5k(destination)
    For 15.1k invoice you get nearly everything comes with slt. plus Tires, Fog lamp, and bigger engine.
    sport has Colored grille
    Slt has Bright grille
    Additioanlly, substract the $500 incentive.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Just saw the new four door dakota at the detroit autoshow, and it looks great. It has four full doors, and is the same length as a dakota club cab. They wraped the box around the back of the passenger part of the truck to give it a flush look. This truck also has dodges new magnum 4.7litre v8. 235hp,290lbs torque. also comes will an all new transmission, that was speacilly designed for this engine. Actully this powtrain combination is the exact powtrain of the new grand cherokee. They say the new powertrain is a lot more fuel effiecnt, and the transmission shift ever so smoothly because of its 2 second gears, plus it has the same gear ratio of first, as for the reverse, so even backing up you will have lots of power. Overall this new quad dakota is the perfect vehicle for families who want a truck that can seat 6 comfortably, be fuel effeient, can out tow anything in its class, and have lots of power.
    If you want a full overveiw of the new dakota quad cab including several up close pictures go here " www.car-truck.com " chrysler edition and click onto the dakota article, its probably the first or second down the list.
  • lkcohenlkcohen Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 1997 dodge dakota. It was the first chrysler auto in 37 years! I was so excited about it and at the same time apprehensive. I was unsure about the reliability of the dakota. I took the 100,000 warranty and paid extra for a loaner if I had to bring it to the dealer. It is a pretty truck and the inside was great in terms of cup holder etc. HOWEVER, within three thousand miles I noticed that the front tires were cupping. The rear tires were wearing badly. When I checked into it. I found out that the tires (goodyear) were passenger tires and had a history of cupping. By 9,000 miles, the rear tires were nearly bald. By 11,000 miles I had to replace all four tires. At 13,000 (over the 12,000 limit for wearable items)the front brakes were so worn that I needed to replace the two rotors as well as the brakes. Who would expect that kind of wear!! At 31,000, the brakes and rotors needed to replaced as well as the caliper!!. Chrysler takes no responsibility for the lousy brakes. The service manager tried to console me by telling me that the minivans normally get only 16,000 miles before the brakes need to be replaced.

I have a intermittent rattle in the rear of the cab which is amplified through the speakers.

Other major problems is the poor handling in rain, snow and loose gravel. I have been driving for 40 years and never felt so uncomfortable whenever it rains or snows.

Lastly, the gas mileage sucks!!!! I routinely get 11.8 miles per gallon. remember this is a six cylinder engine. I would not venture to guess what an 8 cylinder engine would get!!!

I'm planning to switch to the new toyota tundra when it is released. I'm afraid of this truck as it ages.
    Sorry to hear about the break problems. My fathers Toyota (97 Tacoma) w/26 kmi has already needed a new fuel pump, the carpet is peeling off the side, has been in the shop 4 times for engine work. He's getting 13 mpg, and got stuck with a 12 gallon tank.

My 1924 Dodge will outlive all of the new vehicles :)

Matt D
    I mean brake, sorry.
    I went and looked at the 2000 Dakota mentioned in post #248 and it is hot. Does any one now what size bed it has? I'm guessing the cab is larger and it is the same size truck so it may be a shorter bed. I was also wondering if there are any rebates or incentives offered on the dakota currently? Thanks.

Brian
    The box is shorter, about 4.5ft, but the interior demnsions are of the durango, or so they it looks to be. It's got a truck bed, huge interior, great looks, and a awsome powertrain. perfect for anybody!
    I think the closest thing on the road to it will be a Humvee. Except the dakota will probably have more comfortable seats.
  • pttaylorpttaylor Member Posts: 34
    Hello ikcohen,
    I can only sympathize
    with your brake
    delimma. I have a '98
    v6 auto std-cab Dakota
    and just turned 13.6K
    and must replace left
    front rotor (ruined) as
    well as pads! I
    complained at 7K and was told that "NOTHING WAS
    WRONG" even though I
    could have washed the
    brake dust off the front rims daily and had a
    deafning squeal when
    appling brakes after
    warmed up! Of course
    "NOTHING WAS WRONG"
    What a crock of crap
    these service managers
    put out! I have
    documentation of my
    complaint at 7K and
    intend to persue this
    through the BBB
    arbitration board. I
    have been through this
    dealer service BS before and know all the ropes
    and hoops one has to
    jump through to get
    results! I for one am
    tired of the out and out thievery of dealerships
    when it comes to
    standing behind warranty defects. Imagine the
    service managers
    surprise when I waltz in with NTHSB TSBs in hand
    and ask why my brakes
    werent fixed at 7K and
    allowed to degenerate to the point of being
    unsafe! I wonder what
    his asinine response
    will be when I ask how
    come at 1.3K (1300 miles after 12k supplimental
    coverage) my outer pad
    ruins my rotor and all
    other pads are normally
    worn for 13K? Probrably try to blow more smoke
    up my a--! Its
    disgraceful how they
    assume anyone not in the industry is ignorant of
    automobiles! I am
    riding this one (through arbitration) to the dirt just like I did with
    that piece of junk Kia
    Sportage last year! Won hat one too! -Peggy
  • bigguy5bigguy5 Member Posts: 1
    Just replaced the tranny on my 93 4X4 with a 318 V8 engine. The truck only had 149000 km on it. This is the first day after paying a lot of money to get this done at the dealer so I'm looking to see if anybody else has had this problem, or am I just unlucky.
  • eskinnereskinner Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm about to trade in my weak 98 CRV for a truck. I've narrowed it down to the S10 or the Dakota. I'm test driving the dakota tonight. Do you think that the Dakota is worth the low gas mileage? Do you think the v8 is worth the extra cost over the v6. I won't be hauling much. I just have 3 dogs and have a 30min commute from the mountains everyday to work.

I'm concerned with the S10's safety ratings. Does anyone know how the Dakota's is?
    Thanks.
  • dodger1dodger1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, first like to say this site is very helpful, made me chose standard over automatic. here is the deal that i can close this week from a local dealer, any feedback would be helpful:
    97 clubcab,v-8,sport, 4x2, cruise,5 spd,delux conv pkg,big tire/handling,bkt st,std radio,bedliner, uniroyal tires(new).
    mileage: 30 000km / 19 000miles
    truck is in mint condition and one year remains on warranty. dealer leased one owner who traded up.
    paying: 17 000 canadian / approx 12 200 u.s.
    also any info on uniroyal or replacement tires, as the goodyears do not seem to cut it. the goodyear spare had the cupping, got them to replace it. brakes checked out 65% frt / 75%rr.
    also any one have any suggestions about equiping with camper ie: northern lite 6.5'
    thanks for rapid reply as i would like to close the deal before the weekend.
    Eskinner, You wait until september, of this year when the dakota will be avaiable with the new fourdoor full door model plus get a new powertrain the 4.7l v8 and 5speed tranny, I heard really good things with this new powertrain(currently in the new grand cheroke), and its won many awards already. Plus you get alot better gas milage!
    Eskinner, You should wait until september if you can of this year when the dakota will be avaiable with the new full fourdoors model plus get a new powertrain the 4.7l v8 and 5speed tranny, I heard really good things with this new powertrain(currently in the new grand cheroke), and its won many awards already. Plus you get alot better gas milage!
    Decisions, decisions. Sit down and think for a second how you drive. Do you like raw power, burning rubber when the light changes? Or are you like me; I take things a little easier now. I've stopped washing my car every 2 weeks, e.t.c.
    For most the six is fine. You aren't hauling anything really heavy, and you're mainly using the vehicle to get to and from work. There is about a mile per gallon difference between the two, so gas will be roughly the same. However, I suggest that you do get the 22 gallon fuel tank.

If you still can't decide, flip a coin. If on the first toss the outcome is not what you wanted and you opt for the best two out of three; stop, the decision is made. :)

Matt D
  • dwedwe Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if the Dakota will be coming out with a conventional quad cab (a cab the same size as the current club cab, but with 4 doors like their big brother Ram), or only the model with 4 full-size doors mentioned earlier?
This discussion has been closed.