Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G37 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cycnetcycnet Member Posts: 15
    Sorry to hear your story.
    MSRP is in the "window" price. You paid invoice price + 2,000, which is about $4,000 more than the smart shoppers paid for the same car without the special low 0.9% financing this month. If you took the 0.9 then your price is about $2,000 higher. You might want to post your dealer and salesman to warn other potential buyers in your area. Use this forum might be the best leverage to get even or get some extra free services or accessories.
  • carbuyer84764carbuyer84764 Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds states $2000 dealer cash on G37 ends 6/30/2009. Consumer Reports says it ends 4/30/2009. Anyone happen to know which is correct?
  • fgm1fgm1 Member Posts: 3
    This forum is great, it really helped my purchase today. Thanks to all of you. I bought a G37S with prem/nav/spoiler/illuminated kick plates/splash guards/cargo net for $2300 below invoice (about $39,600). White exterior/black interior, very beautiful. This was from South Bay Infiniti in Torrance CA. I dealt with two salespeople, Andrew Lal (primary) and Oscar Zamora and they were both very nice. No pressure, did most negotiating in person after making initial contact through the internet. Would definitely recommend this dealership. Apparently it helps to buy near the end of the month because the dealerships have monthly competitions with each other.

Any existing owner who has a refferal code # and wants to pair up for $150 please contact me at fgmonzon@sbcglobal.net. Happy shopping!
  • nobes1nobes1 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks.

The "window" price was 44,225. The dealer (Herb Chambers of Westborough, MA) claimed that they had only paid $41,107 for the car and that since they "needed to make a profit too" would charge me $43,107. I believed them that they needed to make at least something off this sale. BUt now I'm seeing people who paid less than the invoice price. I had no idea that was possible. How does a dealer stay in business is they sell a car for less than what they paid for it???
  • mosmef06mosmef06 Member Posts: 12
    Invoice doesn't really mean much in terms of determining the overall profitability of the dealership. Dealers make money in so many ways, the up front cost of the car is just one. Here are some examples:

Front End (where you may have over paid)
    Financing (the back end, can often mean thousands of dollars in margin).
    Incentives (additional money thrown the dealers way for hitting goals, pushing certain things)
    Add-Ons (accessories & other high margin items, rust proofing, under coating, blah, blah)
    Trade-Ins (buy at 70% private party value, sell at retail, making 50% gross margin on each one of these)

In any case, the front end of the deal, where you overpaid, is just one piece of the puzzle. The idea of "invoice" pricing is also widely available on the internet, and so the actual cost of the car in real dollars may be significantly less than this when you take into account 'trunk money', brand incentives, etc. Considering you paid $43, they may have made a few thousand bucks off of you. The real rip would be if they also financed for you.
    And, of course, they did. We got 0.9% for 72 months. This also seemed like a bargain to me since we would only pay about $1,200 in interest for the loan. I'm starting to realize just how naive I really am. I can't believe I didn't check this forum before buying. Oh well. Maybe, as someone has suggested, I can tell the dealer just how violated I feel. I certainly am glad I didn't buy the extended warranty, super poly-coating whatever crap and everything else they tried to sell me at the end. Although, I did opt for the maintenance program, I am now going to back out of that immediately. They told me these cars are so advanced and complex that no normal mechanic can handle them. And that they have a proprietary blend of motor oil that others can't get and that if I didn't use it, my gaskets would leak.
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    Actually there is no factory .9% financing for 72 months. Infiniti financing on the sedan is 3.9 % at 72 months and past offers were 3k cash or .9 % so some of your money went to paying down the finance rate, still it would have been nice to know that. I would be indignant anyway and look for something. The engine oil short of the first fill is just and outright lie.

Once the buyers remorse disappears you will love the car !
    I have my 08 since November and it has only got better as it broken in.
    Well the thing is, I already do love the car. I loved it before I bought it and I guess that showed. The dealer saw a sale the minute I walked in.

To clarify, I put $3,500 down and got the 0.9% financing. No trade-in.

Speaking of breaking in, I haven't had a new car in 14 years. Is there a "break-in" period on these cars where I should kinda take it easy on the engine?
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    They told me these cars are so advanced and complex that no normal mechanic can handle them. And that they have a proprietary blend of motor oil that others can't get and that if I didn't use it, my gaskets would leak.

It sounds like you bought from a schlocky used car lot instead of an Infiniti dealer. You need to post the name of this dealer so people know to stay far, far away. Make sure you fill out the customer survey that Infiniti will send about your buying experience and tell them about the outrageous sales tactics and lies for the maintenance plan. Infiniti takes the comments very seriously, and dealer do hear about any negative feedback. I put one negative comment and 3 days later the salesman was calling me to get it corrected.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    It was Herb Chambers Infiniti of Westborough, MA. A brand new dealership.Seeing as it was an Infiniti dealership (and my first luxury car) I thought the whole experience would be very different from other dealerships (schlocky used car lots guys like you mentioned) but it really wasn't. The whole experience turned me off to that dealership immensely. I likely will not be getting my car serviced there unless it's for a warranty issue.
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    Somewhere in the manual it talks about break-in I would take it easy for the first 500-1000 miles. I now have 4500 miles on my G35X, it gets about 3 more MPG and is considerably faster than when I picked it up. I was at first disappointed by the performance, it felt slower than my Honda V6 6sp coupe.(0-60 5.9sec) I even considered their decription of a "ground swell" of aceleration, to mean the pickup after the hesitation when you stepped on the gas. After 3k-4k miles It has become the nice little animal I expected when I bought it. I bet the 7 speed automatic in the 09 makes it even better.
  • sam_ksam_k Member Posts: 198
    If anyone has an owner redemption code that they would like to share with me, email me at Sam.Khoury@gmail.com. $150 in American Express award card for you and $500 for me. I'm picking up my Infiniti G37xS sedan today.

In case anyone hasn't seen the website for the program, here's a link.
    https://www.nnainfo.com/Rewards/datacapture.html
  • lfolfo Member Posts: 24
    I'm curious about this line: "The real rip would be if they also financed for you."

Why do you say that? The dealer can make money off you AND it be a good or inconsequential thing to the buyer's pocket book. Maybe I have this wrong and, if so, let me know. I went into the dealership and bought an EX35. They are discounting those thousands more under invoice (thousands!) than the G37s because they are less desirable in the marketplace. In any event, I took the largest discount they gave instead of having a higher sale price but with the 0.9% financing. I tried my bank and credit union and the best financing I could come up with was 4.9%. The dealer said they would match it and I decided to just do it with them. So they are making that money, yes, but what do I care? It was them or some other bank/credit union. And it was easier to have them do it and didn't cost me any more to my knowledge. So I don't at all think of this as "the real rip." And, remember, I am in control of this "rip." All I have to do is pay off my loan early or at a faster clip.

Similar situation with my trade-in. I was going to donate my car because, while it was a nice luxury car with many great attributes, it developed a major transmission issue (and other minor flaws/issues) and had 155k mileage. Donating it would have been a slight pain and would have yielded a tiny tax deduction (if any). Selling it, with the current big mechanical issue, through a private sale would have been a huge pain. Not sure I could even get any takers due to the mechanical issue and the cost to fix it being anywhere from $900-$3000. If I could get a taker, I might be able to get $2500-$3500 for the car. But I ended up just trading it to the dealer for $1500, which was more than any tax deduction I was resigned to getting. The dealer will probably make two or three grand off of it, but I was well aware of that. But is that a bad thing for me? I don't think so. I wanted to try to get another grand out of them there, but decided eh it's all the same money and I did so well with the actual car sale. So, at the last minute, I decided to have them take the car off my hands. Couldn't have been easier. Don't think they noticed the transmission issue, so in all likelihood they thought they were really recouping some cash.

So, ok, they made a few grand right there with that. But, again, what do I care. I wasn't going to do much better elsewhere or was going to have to work hard to get the grand or two more.

Curious to hear if I am thinking of this wrong.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A tv reporter is hoping to talk with victims of automotive scams and ripoffs in the greater Seattle area. If you have a story to share, please email jfallon@edmunds.com no later than May 15, 2009 and be sure to note your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    [except for the motor oil part] You got in front of a salesman, and he/she sold you a car that you liked.

Once a car is contracted and driven of the lot, it's yours. Take some responsibility for your purchases, I'm sure no one held a gun to your head.

Go and enjoy your new car, they are great!!!!!!
    Agreed. I take full responsibility. I was/am upset about it but I should've done the research first. I am no longer looking for recourse. My temper has settled and I understand that I screwed myself out of a few grand. However, like you said, I am rightfully angry with the dealership for their tactics in trying to get me to buy the maintenance plan, tire insurance etc...
  • drjcool1drjcool1 Member Posts: 45
    I am in the market for a G37x sedan with premium, navigation, and rosewood trim. The car lists well over 41K. What is the invoice for this car and what is the realistic bottom line, out the door price I should try to get? I am on Long Island. Any feedback and advice would be greatly appeciated!!! Thanks to all.
    Uh, read the thread. And look at Edmunds pricing to find the invoice. It's pretty simple and just takes a few minutes. Better than asking another person to summarize the thread and look for you. Lots of people have been posting their prices.
  • gman37gman37 Member Posts: 2
    carbuyer84764
    Edmunds is correct. The current promotion of 2 grand deal cash or .9 financing ends 6/30/2009.
  • jpierrejpierre Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone see/published Infiniti Financial Money Factors for the G37 Journey sedan yet? Have they been announced yet?
  • pharm30pharm30 Member Posts: 36
    I am probably going to get a 09 G37 coupe come June/July (any word on May financing deals?) currently 06 G35 coupe.
    a question - anyone who has gone from 5AT to 7AT - any issues/concerns/dislikes? I have read a couple people say the downshifts coasting to a light are pretty rough?

Work has been slow tonight so I have been searching used 06-08 coupes on yahoo - I have found a couple but the carfax says they are rentals
    (I don't understand why dealers don't include option packages when listing the car!!!!)
    I found a couple that have says owned 2-4 months lease per carfax, between 8k-13k miles and they are still asking 32-35k on used 08's. Granted if they were fully loaded with all options might be worth it, but these look pretty basic.
    Don't these seem priced a little high? Anyone with experience buying used?
  • ratedgratedg Member Posts: 1
    Try this site. It is great.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com
  • investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    Who did you work with at Infinity North Shore in Milwaukee? I'm interested in purchasing the G37X sedan as well. Thanks.
    Is that price for a sedan or coupe? Thanks.
  • calig37calig37 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for an existing infiniti owner with an unused code to go in on the infiniti referral program together. Please email me at mospaman@gmail dot com. Thanks!
  • brynomonbrynomon Member Posts: 4
    Well I have the 09 G37xS and yes the downshifting is crazy from 3rd gear to 2nd around 27mph to 20mph. While it isn't always a problem and isn't the biggest deal, it has been dangerous because the shift causes heavy engine braking and the person who is on your butt behind you doesn't expect it... THats what happens in parking lot traffic in Chicago.

Good news though... Their is a software fix for this and it is being tested around the states and should be a TSB any time soon. I hope they make it a recall so that everyone gets the fix.
    thanks for the reply, I have read others complain about that. I hope they
    do fix it.
  • astromastrom Member Posts: 5
    Finally, after fulfilling most of my wife's priorities (two babies, a house, new hardwood floors, new kitchen, etc., etc.) she agreed that a new Infiniti for me would be a fair deal. I own a '06 Accord V6 now. (I love it too). So, yesterday, the entire family (me, my wife and the twins) went to the Infiniti dealership in Norwood, Mass. When I saw the G37x sedans in the lot my heart started beating faster. What a nice vehicle! Walked into the showroom. Quiet. No one comes up to greet a potential $40K customer. Someone, while walking by, informed me that all sales people were busy and would be with me soon. 15-20 minutes later my wife was playing with the kids in the corner and I was wandering around. Finally, a guy comes up to me and offers to get me a car. He brought a fully loaded G37x, handed me the keys and tried to send me away for a ride with no one to assist or answer my questions. I refused. What kind of service is that? "Just go for a ride, come back and give me your $40K"? Is that it? He shrugged his shoulders (or so it seemed to me at the moment) and reiterated that everyone was busy. Following that exchange we loaded back into my wife's CR-V and drove away. No one attempted to get my phone number or give me a business card for future contacts.

When we came home I saw my "redondo red pearl" Accord (with leather and a sun roof) sitting in front of the garage and my heart started beating faster. I think I'll stick with it. And, by the way, we bought both Hondas new and the buying experience was nothing but positive.
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    That is what's known as low pressure sales. If you want all the pressure just go back to your Honda dealer (or Nissan for that matter). That's exactly the kind of treatment I would want if I was about to buy an expensive car. I would much rather test drive a car by myself then have a loud mouth salesman along for the ride!
    Good point, I guess. It is a matter of personal preference. Next time I want to be treated as dirt I'll go back to Infiniti. Just will wait a little for the next gas prices crisis.
    I'm sorry to hear about your let-down experience at the dealership. I, too, would preferred a low-pressure buying experience, but that's 5-10 years ago. Nowadays, people do their research on the internet, and by the time they step into a dealership, especially with their wife and family they are there to make a purchase. These Infinity's salemen don't seem to care for our business right now. I've made multiple offers and have received the same mundan, non-professional answer each time: "If you can find one at that price, let me know where and I'll buy the entire fleet." It is as if they all copy each other's mottos. My offer is right in line, if not a few hundred dollars higher than what people have been paying for their Infinity G37x here for the past month. But like I've said before, they don't seem to care for your business right now. Personally, I'll try a few more times and then I'll take by business to a different brand.
    Try a different dealer. (And don't bring your wife and kids!) It doesn't make sense to blame it on the car brand or assume all Infiniti dealers would replicate that experience for you. Come on now.

I also like a low-key car driving experience and think it is respectful of them to hand me the keys and trust me as an adult to do the test drive and come to my own conclusions alone. I've researched the cars features and don't need them to explain the way the stereo works etc. I find that distracting/annoying. However, that doesn't mean that I want to be ignored upon entering the dealership for 20 minutes and no one to act like they want to help me and want my business. That's crapo service and I'd be tempted to hit another Infiniti dealer. Not in the mood to beg someone for my business, anytime but certainly not in this market. I bought my new car by dealing with the Internet sales people and then I ultimately went into the dealer to seal the deal. That worked out well.

I also was sure to tell them that I was buying a car within a week's time, so that might have helped as well.

Anyway, sucks that the dealer you went to soured you on Infiniti in general. I guess that can happen. But they lost your business, so there was a consequence to them. That's what they get.

Try to send your price to the closest 4 dealers to your town and see if any of them bite. You may want to say that you can get the price at another dealer, but would prefer to deal with them because they are closer or whatever.
  • paulg37xpaulg37x Member Posts: 3
    I made the deal with the Don Jordan (general sales manager) over the phone but then I dealt with Sean Stockman when I actually came in to pick it up. Both were very nice to work with and Sean definitely knew all of the car's features.
    I take the point about the low pressure sales. It is a good one. It is just that selling cars in the $35-$60K range does create certain expectations on the part of the consumer regarding the level of service. I mean it was not like the showroom was crawling with customers waiting to get into those cars. But ok. I am taking it back. For the record - the Norwood, Mass Infiniti dealers did not meet my personal expectations about the luxury car dealer service. However, a good thing going for them is the fact that they just gave me the keys and trusted me with the car. No one tried to pressure me to buy or even test it. Thanks for your responses.
    Ifo. Thanks for the reply and the advice.
    Ha. I had nearly the exact same experience at Infiniti of Norwood. I test drove it but the guy could not answer one single question about the car. Then he gave me the old "what can I do to get you in that car today." I said "nothing. Not ready yet" and he tuned out (what little he was tuned in anyway). I left and he never asked for any info to get back to me. Never even gave me a business card. He was a [non-permissible content removed]. ANyway, I went to Herb Chambers Infiniti of Westborough (see my semi-horror story in early posts on this thread). In the end, I got the car I wanted (G37X). Probably paid too much. ANd had to deal with lame service. Such is the car buying experience.
  • carnivalcarnival Member Posts: 5
    May I ask the name and location of the dealership at which you got this offer?
  • fusionacidfusionacid Member Posts: 11
    I just got a quote in CA for a 2009 G37 Coupe Journey w/ illimunated kick plates

MSRP: 38,000 + dest, tax, etc...
    Quote: 33,100 + dest, tax, etc...

Invoice at Edmunds is $34,150.

It's about $1050 below invoice.This is my first quote and know I can do lower. Any idea's on how much?
  • dio1dio1 Member Posts: 11
    Just illuminated kick plate? no other options,,,,,,premium etc. so base plus kick plates/
  • zalamerozalamero Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an 09 Sedan Journey w/ premium package for $2,000 below invoice. Negotiating was really easy...probably could have gotten it down another couple hundred but I got what I wanted for my trade-in and thought I'd just take it. This was at Infiniti South Bay in Torrance, CA.

I'm also looking for a current owner that has a redemption code for the Amex gift card that they haven't used yet. If you have one, email me at zalamero@hotmail.com. Thanks!
  • fusionacidfusionacid Member Posts: 11
    Yes. Pretty sad huh? I'm not going to pay that much for a journey base, which is basically just a "BASE"!! I want atleast the premium pkg. What do you guys think i should pay for a G37 coupe journey w/ premium?
    $2-$3 thousands below invoice is what I'm seeing around here.
  • dio1dio1 Member Posts: 11
    nice 2,000 below is a nice number. Out of curiousity did they use the 2,000 dealer marketing money to get you to 2,000 below? and could you please share the number before tax? thanks in advance.
    Looking for a coupe with Navi/Prem or Sport/Prem.
  • realhawkerrealhawker Member Posts: 30
    go to carsdirect.com or even here at edmunds, find out your invoice price - shoot for $2000 below that price to purchase - leasing look for about $500 below invoice.
    not seriously looking at a couple used 08's with <5k miles.
    The websites don't list the options - if the pictures don't show a moonroof, is it a safe assumption that they are the base models?
    They have 18's on them, but they don't have the red S on them. I was thinking they are the base, but they are asking $33k ! for them, which seems really high to me.
  • zonacat7zonacat7 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to say the car buying experience has finally become easy with the transperancy that forums and sites like Edmunds.

Bought a 2009 G37 Journey Sedan w/ navigation, premium, cargo net and vehicle alarm impact sensor for $2,300 under invoice or $33,896 plus tax, title, etc. from a Southern California dealer.
  • vjkatyvjkaty Member Posts: 19
    Excellent price , Can you tell me the dealership name, or the city where you purchased the G37 ? :)
  • maverick2218maverick2218 Member Posts: 4
    I've negotiated $2K below invoice with the dealer (plus TTL) for '09 G37 couple, MT, Premium + Nav. Except, the dealer wants to add on $400 for 'documentation fee'.

I asked the dealer about it and according to him, this is a standard fee that all Infinti dealerships charge So my question to the folks on this forum who recently purchased an Infiniti is: Did you have to pay $400 documentation fee too?

For none of my previous car purchases have I ever paid such fee so this seems like just a ploy by the dealer to get extra cash from me. But none of them were Infinitis, so I don't know if I should really break the deal becuase of this fee..

Thanks to the collective wisdom of this forum!
  • the_mulethe_mule Member Posts: 1
    My shopping and negotiating has resulted in the following prices for a 2009 G37xS with premium and navigation packages (invoice price $38,701):

$40,800 (with 2.9 Infiniti financing for 60 mos.) negotiated down to $37,301
    $38,287 negotiated down to $37,200
    $36,201 (if willing to accept in stock vehicle) and $36,937 if dealer got the colors I wanted.

At least one dealer was willing to offer free 4 years/60,000 basic maintenance on in-stock vehicles.

Tip -- Dealers seem inclined to offer more discounts below invoice if you first get pricing through AAA. If not already an AAA member, the small membership fee itself is worth saving yourself the negotiating hassle.
  • leitrim1880leitrim1880 Member Posts: 7
    Documentation fee is charge for preparing sales documents. I just paid a $55 documentation fee at Metro Infiniti in Monrovia, California. You are being misled by this dealer. Take your business elsewhere. Metro Infinite does out of state sales and delivery. I would give them a try. They have a lot of vehicles and are trustworthy!!