Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    My '06 MDX has 8,000 miles on it and a few weeks ago, the windshield cracked from what I would consider, a very small pebble. (Heard a very small tap while driving down the highway)
    The crack is approx 20" long.

I have ordered a new windshield from Acura and have a local glass place doing the install tomorrow.

Just this weekend, another pebble tapped the window (I saw this one hit right in front of me)
    I was only doing 25 MPH and this was no big rock.
    It left a pea sized chunk of glass missing.
    Thankfully, the window had not bee replaced yet.

I went through a lot of work getting the insurance to cover the cost of this OEM Acura windshield, dealt with back orders and long waits, just to avoid the issues of after-market glass.
    Although the A/M windshield had the rain sensor, it was not accousticly laminated.
    This is where I got the insurance company to agree to OEM.

I hope this new windshield performs better than the original.
    The OEM glass seems very unforgiving to pebbles and small taps. :cry:
  • aruca123aruca123 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 2001 Acura MDX and recently noticed water under the front passenger carpet when it rains. Dealer unable to locate source of leak. Any suggestions?
  • pdx833pdx833 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 MDX had water under both the driver's and passenger's floor carpets. The dealer determined that it was a leak from the windshield. They took care of it without cost to me even though the car was out of warranty. It is a very common problem. Good luck!
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    "I brought my '04 MDX - bought November '03 -(47K - nav. but no DVD) to the dealer for one problem (turns out that I need a new torque converter). The tech plugged in some sort of computer under the dash to get some diagnostic info during a test drive with me. It was only plugged in for a few minutes; when he went to start the car, the battery was dead. He said that it shouldn't go dead so quickly and that I should replace the battery or take the chance that it won't start for me at some time in the near future. Is this true? I had my last car (toyota minivan)for over 5 years with the original battery. If so, is this something that I'm expected to pay for or is it all or partially under warranty?"

Yeah, that's BS! My girlfriend has an 03 MDX and started having problems starting the SUV about 6 months ago, we took it the the Acura dealership and had to get the battery replaced! It's an acura, under 3 years old... should be under warranty right? WRONG! They say the battery for older MDXs are only covered for 2 years. Pesonally, I think this is the most stupid thing I've heard of in along time. Saturn covers their batteries for 3 years!

So, double check since the newer models' batteries are covered for 4 years, but she had to pay the $128 dollars for the new battery. But, as for me, I now know I won't ever buy an Acura. It's only $128, but, it's still BS. I'll stick with Lexus.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Dealers often switch batteries around on the lot. I have seen it done...watching someone buying a new car that won't start and they grab one off another car on the lot.

However...if you are out of warranty and need a new battery...I recommend spending $65 +/- at Sears and replace it yourself. It takes 10 minutes to change. The guys at an autozone would probably swap it out for you free of charge too.
  • progerproger Member Posts: 44
    I had the same year '04 and problem you had, and after complaining to the dealer twice, they replaced my battery with a new one without charge. I never had a problem since.
    Although, I'm more cautious in using my accessories while my engine is off.
  • mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    I bought a certified 02 MDX last year. After few days of driving, the engine stops now and then if I use 4th gear; I can start the engine and drive normaly after that.
    They fixed the problem with no charge.

I also notice the shudder when gear change from 1st to 2nd, sensing that there is something abnormal. I told the guy from Acura shop about thre problem, the mechanic checked and said that they see nothing wrong. That was few months ago.

Last week, the engine light was on; today the second gear stucks, the rev. went up to 4,500RPM and it is still in second gear; tonight the 5th gear light flashes repeatedly. It looks like the car running on 4th gear.

Is it time to replace the gear box? At 62,000 miles?

I think the dealer knows the problem they only want to wait for the extended warranty to run out. :-((((((
  • smomansmoman Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I had the same problem with our 2002 MDX. When driving at lower speeds, usually between 25 and 35 mph, it felt as if we were driving over a rough washboard as it was trying to switch gears. Acura had to replace the torque converters in the transmission.

We brought the car in two separate times before the repair, but they were not able to "duplicate the problem". I explained the problem to a friend that works at a Dodge dealership, and he was able to identify the problem based on my description. I went to Acura and explained to them what he said, and they repaired the transmission under warranty since it had 49,500 miles on the vehicle. The service writer told me it normally costs between $3,000 to $3,500 to replace the torque converters in the MDX. I would press to get it repaired under warranty if you can.
  • mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    I will surely try. Thank you,I know there is something wrong with the gearbox and let them know, when it was still under warranty. They should be Lexus-nice to have a recall on this wellknown problem. I know few people who avoid Odyssey and buy Sienna because of gearbox problem.
  • ptlamptlam Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2006 MDX. It rattles so badly. I was going to take it back to the dealer for service but sounds like there is a solution. I am going to give it a shot. Hopefully, that will cure the problem.
  • ptlamptlam Member Posts: 2
    Where can I find the 3.5" fiberglass insulation?
  • rhawthornerhawthorne Member Posts: 6
    I used regular construction grade insulation. You could find a shop that specializes in rebuilding and repairing speaker systems and get acoustic sound insulation. If you use construction grade insulation, remove the vapor barrier. In either case use gloves, the stuff will really make you itch.
    "I have the same problem with my 2006 MDX. It rattles so badly. I was going to take it back to the dealer for service but sounds like there is a solution. I am going to give it a shot. Hopefully, that will cure the problem."

I mentioned this problem in a previous post and I have since taken my 06 MDX in to the dealer.

As I suspected, there is a portion of the wiring harness that is causing the rattle within the rear right quarter-panel.
    He said that he hasn't seen the issue since the 04 model but knows exactly what it is.

Unfortunately, it requires the removal of the outside quarter-panel in order to access the wiring clip causing the noise.

He said that I'll have to make an appointment for the repair, and that I'll get a loner car while the have mine.

I just havn't had time to get it into the dealer yer, but it sounds like they'll fix it for us. :)
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    From what I read, I thought the problem was in vibration of the body panel caused by subwoofer operation. To reduce that vibration you must physically treat the body panel, either by attaching vibration damping sheets to the sheet metal (or by cramming so much insulation in the cavity that it presses against the vibrating panel). Fiberglass insulation is not designed to attenuate the low frequencies generated by a subwoofer.

A body shop worker once told me that Hondas in general have thinner sheet metal (it makes it easier for them to treat door dings). If true, that would tend to aggravate what has been reported on some MDXs.

IMHO....
    1) This is a design oversight on Honda's part and they should "fix" the problem. 2) If they won't, I would: remove the interior trim, remove the subwoofer, make sure no wiring harness is free to rattle, treat as much of the body panel surface as can be accessed with a "Dynamat" or similar product, and replace everything. [over time, fiberglass will compress and no longer work to dampen vibrations in the body panel] :D
    Acura plans on taking my 06 MDX for the day.
    They are removing the exterior body panel and will line it with a dynamat.
    There are 2 issues here.

1) The body panel itself vibrates.
    2) A small wiring clip, during low frequency signals, vibrates against the exterior panel, making a louder sound.

The pad will correct both issues.

I'll update once the work is done.
    Dropping it off Monday night, picking up Tuesday night.
  • sisu1996sisu1996 Member Posts: 25
    Got the new MDX base model for about 1 month. Already knew about the humming noise issue before purchasing so did listen carefully during the test drive - nothing was noticeable then. A month and 550 miles later, I believe I can hear the humming noise, though not at around 2K RPM/68-72 KMH. Mine was at around 1500 RPM/40-45 KMH, the range I normally hit during city commute. Basically, if I step on the gas, the noise will come up. If I let loose and coast, the noise stops.

Can't understand why the humming noise develops only after I took the car home. I don't know if anyone who recently bought the '06 model shares the similar experience.

Plan on doing a much longer road trip next weekend to test the noise at different RPM/KMH ranges. If the problem still persists, I will talk to the local dealer (not the one where I got the car).

PS. The humming noise issue was discussed in depth starting from posts #202 and lasted about 30-40 posts.
    Just noticed that the radio antenna on my new '06 base model is a tiny block on top of the roof whereas I have seen others with the more traditional protruding antenna rod. Even on the Acura product procure or official website the antenna does come with a rod. Just wondering if the antenna is different between the base model and touring.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.
    Took my new MDX to the local dealer for state inspection yesterday. Today I just found some scratch on the left body panel. I am pretty much sure that the scratch was not there before the inspection - I check everywhere closely as it is a new car. Between the inspection and now I haven't taken it anywhere. I don't have a garage but park way away from other cars. With the rain all day yesterday it was impossible to see the scratch until today.

How do I convey this to the dealer? Can I ask them to fix it without hard evidence? I don't want to make too much fuss - if I piss them off this time, they probably would return the fuss in case of a much bigger/subtler issue. And there is only one Acura dealer in town. By the way, I did not buy the car from this dealer.

Any suggestions?
    Well, I brought the MDX in last Tuesday and picked it up Wednesday morning.
    They explained that they witnessed the problem, and that it has now been repaired.

I have just this morning had the oppurtunity to test the subwoofer out.
    I put a Perfect Circle cd in, set the volume to 14, got out of the car and went to the rear passenger corner.
    The panel continues to rattle, and in my opinion, is worse now than when I brought it in.

Time to call Acura again.

I agree that the main issue is with a vibrating body panel.
    I feel that this is Acura's problem, and not mine.

Hopefully, I can get them to fix it with no $$$ out of my pocket.

I spent enough on the car itself, I shouldn't have to fix the issues as well.

Will keep you posted.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    Just purchased '06 MDX. Does back window wiper pull off window like the front ones to make it easier to clean window? I pull on it and it easily goes about 1 inch but then I meet resistance and don't want to break anything. Thanks.
    I found the same on my 06, doesn't appear to pull back straight for cleaning :cry:
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I believe what you see is the XM satellite radio antenna.
    Spoke with the service guy from the local dealership. According to him, the base model has the little box-shaped antenna (as that on mine) whereas on the touring model, the rod sticking out is for navigation purposes.
  • lore3lore3 Member Posts: 1
    I have encountered a very dangerous situation with my 2005 Acura MDX. While in the mountains, my 2005 MDX suddenly stopped while I was driving, as if I'd slammed on the brakes, but I had not. It made a deep vibrating noice and felt as if I were driving over train tracks. The MDX would not move, the brakes were locked down. At this point, the VSA! light came on. The manual said if the VSA comes on at an inappropriate time, turn off and restart the vehicle to reset the VSA. I did this and it appeared to have worked. A few weeks later, my vehicle repeated the identical situation, stopping suddenly while driving straight, three times in one morning. I was on a busy road during rush hour. I had it towed to the dealer who said the "brake switch" went bad. They replaced it and I drove it for one day. The VSA! light came on again, without the sudden stopping this time. I had it towed to the dealer who said the battery was weak and the car begins to shut down nonessential systems, starting with the VSA. They replaced the battery. I did not believe them and had it picked up by another dealer for testing. They drove it for two days and the service manager had the same experience I had with the sudden stopping. They determined it was the ABS Modulator. They replaced the part today and are keeping the MDX for a couple of days to test drive. This is a very frightening situation ... if I were turning left in front of oncoming traffic and the vehicle slammed on the brakes, I would be broadsided. Has anyone else ever heard of this problem? I can't find anything on it on the Internet. Thank you.
    "Spoke with the service guy from the local dealership. According to him, the base model has the little box-shaped antenna (as that on mine) whereas on the touring model, the rod sticking out is for navigation purposes."

This is correct.
    The base model does not offer Nav, but comes with XM Standard. The small bump on the roof is the antenna for XM.
    The radio antenna (FM) is on the window.

The Touring Model offers Nav as an option.
    If Nav is installed, the antenna is the larger black antenna with the small antenna protruding up.
    I visited my Acura dealer last night and the Service Manager came out and looked at the MDX.
    He agrees that the rear panel is vibrating badly, and that they should be correcting the problem.

I'ts not a safety issue so I told him not to break his neck trying to get it into the shop quickly, so I have an appointment in 2 weeks.

I'll let you know what they do to correct the problem, once they correct it.

BTW, The other 06 MDXs on the lot all do this same thing.
    They all rattle....most people just don't notice it.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    Anyway to disconnect the warning chime. Rare times when I do not want to wear belt and would like to turn chime off.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Hi all,
    Having problems w/ the dealer installed body side molding on my '04 MDX. Going back for the 3RD!! time. It gets loose right in the middle and slowly separates from the door. First on the drivers side door then the passenger door, never the rear doors. Acura tech made sure he got all the wax off the paint the 2nd time, still didn't work. Anyone else having similar problems?
  • chazerchazer Member Posts: 1
    I've checked other places for this same problem but only came up with your old message. My car is not doing the same thing between 30-45 mph, that low 2003 MDX 77k. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I'm curious to see what I'm in for. Thanks!
  • applepiegirlapplepiegirl Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 MDX is at the dealer right now for high and low speed bucking! The car feels like it is braking without me doing anything! But not only does it "brake" by itself at slow/coasting speeds, it's actually done it at 70mph! As I'm driving along it feels like the brakes are being pumped, and the car bucks rapidly. I have no control over it! The only thing I can do is brake--hitting the gas does nothing to stop it. My car only has 32,000 miles on it. I've performed regular maintenance at the dealer only! They replaced the EGR valve but have no clue why this is happening and only want the problem duplicated in order to diagnose it! I'm afriad to drive it on the highway... Did I mention that the bucking/braking occurs when I am slowly driving also... Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
  • mdxvamdxva Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new Acura MDX Touring 2006 which now has 260 miles on it. While testing buttons, I noticed that my VTM-4 Lock button light not coming on. This button is unlike others when depressed they light up and stay depressed. Can anyone advise me on how to make it work? I am going to give my dealer a call but thought I check with you if I am making a mistake on how VTM-4 lock works. Thanks in advance for any advice offered. :confuse:

p.s. Also my cup holder just popped out of its place and came out when I lifted my coffee cup. Oh well, thought since this car is luxury, they might have done better job where it is glued down strongly. :mad:
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Sometimes those cup holders are built to pop off for cleaning or to fit larger sized cups. Is that the case with yours or does it just seem broken?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I believe VTM-4 can only be engaged when in 1st,2nd or reverse. Try this and see if it comes on.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    VTM-4 should not be used during "normal" driving. Engage it while you're off-road or driving slowly through deep snow. Otherwise, let the AWD take of itself. It will engage when it's needed and disengage when it's not.

To use it in the snow or off-road, put the gear selector in either 1st or 2nd. The system will lock the front and rear axles in a 50/50 power split. It will also lock the two rear wheels together.

With open differentials, engine torque takes the path of least resistance. If a wheel starts spinning, all the power leaks out that wheel.

Locking the front and rear with this feature prevents a loose wheel from getting all the power and keeps it for the wheels which do have traction.

As you accelerate, power will revert from a 50/50 split to a 100/0 split. It is fully disengaged at about 18 mph.

The coffee cup holder is actually designed so that it can be removed easily. If you take a close look at the mechanism, you'll see that it's designed to lock into place when the lid is down.

Mine stayed put until one day when I removed to clean the interior. Now, it seems a bit loose and pops out from time to time. I figure a little tape in the right spot will tighten it back up. I just haven't gotten around to it.
  • mrmrmrmr Member Posts: 9
    Recently I bought a 2006 MDX.As you know it comes with XM radio. I would like to listen to Sirius instead of XM. Do I need to buy a separate sirius radio or is there any converter to change the built in ACURA XM radio to Sirius radio. Before going to hit the Best Buy I prefer to get expert advice from you. Thanks,
  • jscorp1jscorp1 Member Posts: 3
    I think I'm experiencing the same issue. While in 1st and 2nd gears, the RPM goes to about 4000rpm before switching gears. I have only had my 2003 MDX for three months and I don't remember it doing this before. Is this normal? I just went over 50,000 miles so my MDX is out of warranty. I seriously hope it's not a $3,000 torque converter problem.

The just replaced the Starter for me last month under warranty. It made a little noise after being started in the mornings.
    I haven't found a conversion kit for Sirius yet.... and believe me, I've looked!

I've got my Sportster installed in the driver's corner of the windshield, all wires tucked away, looks nice.

The XM subscription has since run out... don't miss it.
  • kukharkinkukharkin Member Posts: 8
    I got a taillight panel broken on my MDX (i.e., plastic cover for the bulbs). Dealer quoted me some insane amount of money for the part and labor. I found the part (roughly 1/2 of what he quoted me) and wondering if it is hard to replace it. I'd presume it should be rather straighforward, but don't know for sure. Any advice (reference to a manual, etc.) is much appreciated.
    My 06 MDX currently has 1,200 miles on it. The passenger seat is starting to develop creases. However, I am worrying more about the driver's seat - I can already see clearly the depress left by the contour of legs and butt. I don't think that's normal. Has anyone had the same experience? Will the dealer replace the seat under warranty?

Thanks.
    My 06 has about 13,000 miles on it.
    My wife (115lb) spends most of her time in the passenger seat.
    I (190lb) spend most of my time in the driver's seat.

Both seats look as new as the day we bought it.

I clean them with a 6/1 Water/Woolite solution and then rub in a leather conditioner once they are dry.

Acura/Honda vehicles are known for not having the 'best' leather seats... but if they are well taken care of, they shouldn't be a problem.
  • jscorp1jscorp1 Member Posts: 3
    I just experienced the same problem yesterday. I have an 03 MDX which is out of warranty. I was cornering at about 15mph, when the brakes started pumping and the VSA light was blinking. I remembered reading your post last week and I knew this is a serious issue. I continued to drive with the VSA turned off and the car was fine. Hopefully this doesn't happen again or I will be forced to pay for the repairs out of pocket since I'm 200 miles over my warranty period. Why couldn't this have happened before the warranty ran out two weeks ago?
  • mdxvamdxva Member Posts: 2
    Varmint and others who replied to my message - A big Thank You. I am glad I checked here before taking my car to the dealer. Sorry for not posting this sooner. VTM - 4 light came on when I pressed it after setting the gear on the 1st and 2nd. :surprise:

As for the coffee cup holder, I locked it back into its place and now I see its the way they are designed to work. I hope it doesn't get loose and pops out time to time. Looks like I can't place a coffee mug that fits tight to to the cup holder. I went back using smaller mug. :)

I am reading about the leather seats. Do you suggest that one should apply a leather conditioner right away on a new MDX? I used to spray leather treatment on my newly bought leather jacket or leather briefcase to repeal water. Any suggestion?

Thanks
    Dropped the MDX off last Thursday and picked up Friday evening.
    The subwoofer no longer causes vibrations on the interior or exterior panels.

They removed the interior panel, installed an audio pad designed for these issues and wrapped the wiring harness as well.
    Stereo now sounds better than ever.
    Problem solved.

New problem... they managed to put a very nice scratch on the interior panel.
    Acura has appologized, but I now have to drop it off yet again to now get this resolved.

3 times in the shop just for the sub.... :cry:
    Scottm123, do you think 6/1 Water/Woolite solution will solve the depress problem of the driver's seat? If I look at the seat from a different angle, I can clearly see the depress - I have heard about lead foot but not lead butt. I weigh just about 150lb.
    Nah, I doubt cleaning and/or conditioning the seat's leather will do little to anything for the depression issue in your seat.
    That sounds more like a problem with the padding and materials within the seat. (under the leather cover)

My opinion is this...
    Although most of us avoided paying full MSRP, these still remain as $45,000 vehicles and little issues like these are 100% unacceptable.

That's why I've pushed the Subwoofer vibration.
    It didn't really affect me, as I could not hear the vibration while inside the car... it could only be heard by those outside, and very near the rear corner.

None the less, I got it repaired because it shouldn't occur in a car like this.
    This isn't a $16,000 GM.
    We paid good money for these cars and expect a certain level of quality and longevity.

The MDX is under warranty... bring it in.
    Be polite and kind to them, and you'll be surprised at how far they go to make things right.

Keep us posted!

-Scott
    I second every word you said.

I got a very good price (Labor Day sale) for my MDX. However, just because I paid less than MSRP does not mean I deserve a lesser quality car or lesser service.

Service at my local dealer has been fairly good. They did some free detailing work to remove the scratches (I don't have proof that scratches were actually incurred while doing inspection there). Don't know how it turns out this time as changing a seat entails much more cost. I will be kind and get them to be empathetic.
    I'm sure they have an MDX on the lot with more than 1,000 miles on it, most likely driven by a sales manager or something.
    Have service compare your seat to the one on the lot with the same or more miles on it.
    If there is clearly a difference, you have a solid case.

I also got a great deal on mine (long story, dealer mistake worked out in my favor) but I still refuse to settle for anything less that what I expected when I bought the car.

I paid just under $39,000 for a fully loaded Touring with Nav and DVD, but the price on the sticker was $45 and change.
    The car should perform and last like a $45K car.

Good Luck.
  • rdecker10rdecker10 Member Posts: 2
    Our '06 MDX has 4200 miles on it. Last week my wife went to unlock the door with the key fob, and nothing. She unlocked it with the key, and tried to start it, but it just clicked rapidly, and started making a bunch of beeping noises, and low horn blowing sounds. :sick: She turned it off, and took the key out of the ignition, and it still kept making all of the noises, and also sounded as if it was trying to engage the starter, with the key out of the ignition! She called me (out of town, of course)and I could hear the noises over the phone. She called Acura roadside assistance, and they had it towed to the nearest dealer - 2 hours from our home. :mad: After much complaining, they finally agreed to send her a loaner back on the tow truck, which the did, but it had no gas in it. :mad: The next day they called and said the car was fixed. Said it needed a new battery. Then they wanted us to drive 2 hours to come pick it up. After another round of complaining, they agreed to meet us halfway and swap. I hate this piece of junk and I can't wait to trade it in the new Buick Enclave when it comes out next year!
    I'm sorry to hear you had bad luck with the new MDX, but I'm not so sure going from an Acura to a Buick is really a step in the right direction.
    Not only is the Enclave a Buick, it's a first year model...
    Good luck with that! ;)
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    Any last minute recommendations on TSBs or other issue to get resolved before it reaches 50K?

Should I get and extended warranty for 48/48K for $2100?