Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    Except in many areas of the country, premium fuel is 30-50 cents a gallon more than regular fuel. That certainly adds up.
  • bdadams1bdadams1 Member Posts: 8
    I had my 01 MDX in for service for a third time to find a "hesitation" like you described...only after my warranty had expired did they find the "problem" it was a faulty Torque Converter. They wanted 1500 to fix..raised my voice and got it done for free since I had it in several times for the same issue. The other suggestions they gave me were the "logic" control was not working properly. On a recent note took MDX in for "first" brake change at 70K. Both front and rear brakes wore good, however, the right rear brake was hanging up for some reason(spring issues) I hope that it was fixed...I also have a small "drip" from my transfer case in the rear...any thoughts?
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    I have owned the 07 MDX for a month now and it has been in the shop twice because the car pulls to the right. I am contantly fighting this and it's bumming me out. I have a loaner right now that drives straight as an arrow. Is anyone else out there having the same issue???
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    I would make sure your shop has a copy of this TSB:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Acura/1160204400000_1161759600000_06-039/index.html
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    sorry to sound foolish....what's a TSB?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

They are internal documents which a manufacturer will send out to service providers. Some are just legal notices. Some are suggestions for how to troubleshoot problems. Some are complete fixes for known problems.

In the past, Honda's CR-V had problems with pulling to the right. One of the solutions was making sure the damper spring was properly aligned on the upper spring seat. I dunno if the MDX suspension is a similar set-up, but I didn't see that listed as a possible culprit in that MDX TSB.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    The sub is rattling again and now, there is also something lose in that panel back there.
    I hear it sliding and thumping around when braking and going around corners.
    It's driving me nuts!
    I called and talked to Acura again.
    They have since had other MDXs come in with this same sub woofer rattle complaint.
    They have found some vent near/in the rear bumper causing the noise and now know of a solution.
    I'll believe that when I see it. (or should I say, hear it)
    As for the new noise, most likely their last solution coming loose... ugh.
    Dropping it off on Jan 8, will keep ya's posted!

Okay... last installment!

Got the MDX back last night.
    The new noise, a screw which came loose in the rear panel.
    That, they corrected.

As for the subwoofer vibration, it has NOT been corrected.

It was explained to me that it is a vent within the rear corner of the car.
    As the subwoofer displaces air, it flows through this vent and causes the horrible vibration, and cannot be corrected.
    I don't buy this.
    You'd figure that the "high-end" stereo in their $45,000 Touring package would not rattle.

Turns out all 06 (and below) MDXs have the problem.
    You'll only notice it depending on the music you listen to, the settings for your bass and treble and the volume.
    And no, I'm not a rolling 'gheto-blaster'

Not sure what I'm doing yet.
    Maybe a good first step would be letters to Acura and Bose to see what may come of it.
  • sisu1996sisu1996 Member Posts: 25
    Scottm123,

On my Xmas roadtrip, I could hear some slight vibration/tremble in the rear subwoofer when XM played certain music with super-bass. It doesn't happen often but definitely exists. Mine is '06 model.

sisu1996
    I agree that it only happens with low frequency bass notes, but I don't think it should happen at all.

And it's not just music.
    Listen to talk... it happens a lot.
    ...and not just at loud volumes.

I personally feel less than impressed by the Bose stereo in this vehicle.
  • mformdxmformdx Member Posts: 12
    You'll only notice it depending on the music you listen to, the settings for your bass and treble and the volume.

I tried different combinations but did not experience any rattling on my 2003 touring. I tried it with rock/pop/heavy metal and also with a music DVD. I didn't want to end up with the rattling so I quit :)
    If you're looking for it...
    play anything with lower bass notes and put the volume somewhere around 7-9 (louder if you want an obvious vibration)
    Hop out of the car and walk around to the rear passenger corner and you'll see the lower quarter panel vibrate.
    This vibration can be heard as well.

At first, I only heard this when outside of the vehicle.
    Now, my ears are tuned to it and I here it inside as well.

I here it when listening to my music (and the wife's which is much calmer music that mine) but I also here it when I'm listening to talk and when my daughter is watching movies.

It's not horrible and I suppose I'll have to live with it, but it is definitely there, and shouldn't be.

This isn't a $14,000 Scion, it's a $45,000 Acura with an optional Bose stereo, which I'm actually very unimpressed with.
  • tonymdx07tonymdx07 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have any advice on which cell phone works the best with the 2007 MDX with Ent and Tech packages? I have been to the Acura website, but thought I might get some "real user" advice here. I am interested in being able to use all the wireless functions including being able to download phonebook entries. My carrier is Cingular but would be willing to switch if there is better phone/carrier option out there.

Thanks!
  • mdxmommdxmom Member Posts: 6
    I had wondered the same thing. On AcuraZin there are some discussions on what works best for the TL. I ended up getting the Sony Ericsson K790i. It is a GSM phone I use with Rogers in Canada. It has bluetooth 2 and everything works great including all the indicators. I bought it in November. I understand that with the Sony phones you need a firmware update (which is free) of at least October 2006 for all the features to work. I got the K790 as it has a lot of features including a 3.2 mega pixel camera.
  • fabvsixfabvsix Member Posts: 5
    I belong to several well know Acura forums. I noticed on both threads mentioning a "popping sound" when you crank the engine. Quite a few folks are experiencing the same sound. Anyone here has this issue? I have an acura source looking into this as well.....let us know if you hear these as well....
    I have the 07 Sport/Entertainment model....
    Has anyone else received a Class-Action Lawsuit notification regarding the accuracy of the Odometers in 2002-2006 Honda & Acura models?
    The lawsuit is against Honda/Acura as well as the manufacturer of the odometers.

If the plaintif wins, all 02-06 owners will receive a 5% milage extension to their existing warranty.

I got my notice 2 nights ago. I have not noticed any discrepancy in milage on my 06 MDX, but I haven't exactly tested it either.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Honda/Acura Odometer Class Action Suit discussion too.
  • tom2005tom2005 Member Posts: 2
    I bought brand new Acura MDX in 2005 and just drove the car one year and half and got mileage about 13000. However the coolant tank was found empty when I went to regular oil change. I went to dealer. The dealer filled in some coolant and asked me watch it closely. I'm very disappointed about the building quality of MDX. Anybody has the similar experience? Any advice is appreciated.
    Stopped by the dealer this weekend to discuss the fact that my 06 MDX has been in for a sub vibration 4 times and that I'm now being told it cannot be corrected.

As soon as I asked for Acura's contact information, their tune completely changed.
    They have offered to take the MDX in for 3-4 days (???) and I will not get it back until the problem is resolved.
    Knowing that I have been on the G35/TLs fence, they have offered me an 07 TL Type-S loaner for those days.

This is their 5th and last chance to make good on this.
    We'll see what happens.

It's due to go in on my next oil change, which is about 3 weeks out.

:sick: :sick: :sick:
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    Hello,

I have a 2003 MDX in which I just found out that the warranty has expired. (4 years). I only have 47K miles. i guess I will have to find an Acura Auto repair shop. Does anyone know of a reputable repair shop in the DC Metropolitan area, preferably in Maryland?
    What type of repair/maintenance do you need? And what is your concern about your dealership's service dept.? [I may not be of much help - i'm in VA] :)
  • avolavol Member Posts: 7
    Hi, my wife had exactly the same problem yesterday - completely dead car after only 4 days of inactivity (nothing was left on, e.g. lamps etc). Jump started it, took to the dealer - they said "it's normal and smth that can happen even after two days of not using it" B/c the car is running some kind of test daily ??? WTF?

It's also 06 MDX bought in Dec 05.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A car should be able to start even after 2-3 weeks of inactivity.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    WTF indeed, both my '04 and '07 have sat for a week or more in the garage and had no trouble starting. Acura owes you a new battery.
    Just replaced the OEM battery in my 01 MDX and not because it was dead but because I felt I was starting to push my luck (the dealer said it was only putting out 255 ccamps). So I went to Sears and put in a DieHard. 68 months has to be a record for me...especially a battery that came in the car when new. :shades:
    You have a bad battery or an abnormal battery drain condition.
  • tursiopstursiops Member Posts: 8
    Hello, I havee a 2007 Acura MDX and my car is ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD... and I have to jump start my car every day. It only just started after my first service at the Acura Dealer. It is currently in the shop now and they cannot find the problem, only that there is a drain somewhere because they kept it overnight and this morning it was dead, yet again. WTF indeed!! I am thinking I should have stuck with my BMW X5!!!! Any one out there have any ideas??? They are telling me that they have heard issues about the HandsFreeLink system continuously running even tho I havent paired my Treo 700wx to the car because it isnt even compatible!!
  • justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    Sorry to hear about your troubles with 2007 Acura MDX. I think every car manufacturer will have consumers who will have problems like this and if you are that person, then you feel screwed - it's hard to look at the big picture but overall Acura has much better reliability ratings than BMW.

BTW, I have my Treo 700wx successfully paired with my 07 MDX and it works great for voice calls. I haven't tried any other features like phonebook import aa I did not want to transfer my 1000 odd contacts to my car.
  • kbhaktakbhakta Member Posts: 17
    Do you have the powered lift gate?
  • dovelidoveli Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 MDX, 6 weeks old. The battery required jumping and the Acura support service said thaey have had troubles with the headlights being left on "Auto". It is now in the dealer for the third day and I was told it was caused by a "door lock button" being stuck and not allowing the car to "sleep" when it is shut off. Pats are on back-order and I do not know when I will get the car back.
    thanks for the input.... well... I just contacted my Acura dealer (who has had my MDX for 4 days now) and they found the problem (they think). You may want to let your dealer know to look at the multiplex module for the front driver side. it controls the headlight timer, dome, dimmer, etc. Even if you are certain the lights are going out, it is still draining. They can contact John at service at the Acura of Orange Park (Florida) dealer to talk to my service guys to troubleshoot. I am (unfortuneately) glad that someone else is going thru a similar situation. Thanks.
    I think I read that the Sony Ericsson Walkman phone passed all of the tests for the MDX. It is put out by Cingular. Aside from that, I used to have a Palm Treo 650 smartphone and all but a few features worked. I upgraded my Treo to a Treo 700wx with Windows CE and that phone doesnt work at all in my 2007 MDX
    no, I have the Sport/Tech package and they told me this morning that they had an 07 with the entertainment package do the same thing and that is when they found it was the "multiplex module". So they are looking at the multiplex for the front drivers door and think that is the issue.
    if you have the entertainment package, have them look into the multiplex module for the rear liftgate. They told me that there was another 2007 MDX w/ Ent Pack and that was where the problem was.
  • solosolo Member Posts: 48
    I own a 2004 pilot. Instead of waiting for the redesigned 08, I have been checking the 07 MDX forum. What an eye opener! Too many electrical problems for me! (Let alone alignment and suspension) Sounds like Acura is getting ahead of itself in technology the way Mercedes did 5-7 years ago. My nagging problem with the Pilot which is built on the SAME platform/frame as the MDX (no its not the annoying wind and road noise that in itself is enough to get rid of the car) it is the vibration caused by the driveshaft to the rear tires. Maybe I am a perfectionist, but in the summer (I'm in Chicago) I remove the shaft. This gives me 6 to 8 months of smooth driving. Honda refuses to admit the problem. (check the Pilot forums)
    Question; What does Acura do differently? I don't see any gripes about this vibration. Is there a difference? Does anyone know if the 07 MDX (thus the 08 Pilot) has re-engineered the drivetrain? If Honda has, I am buying an 07 MDX tomorrow! (even with all its problems). W#hat other forums are out there? Good motoring! solo
    P.S. I wonder if its time to go back to my Tahoes!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's a new discussion you may want to join: Probably too early - Anyone knows any improvements for 2008 MDX?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lmcmalilmcmali Member Posts: 4
    Are there any upgrades that can be done with regards to the display, information, etc...?
    I own 2007 MDX with ENT/TECH packages and have had no electrical, vibration, or wind noise problems. I also did a lot of research before purchasing and would not consider the Tahoe in the same class as a MDX. Tahoes are nice but are inferior in technology, handling, fit & finish and if comparably equipped can cost more than an MDX. Not interested in paying that much for a chevy.... The new MDX is class leader as far as I am concerned (compared to BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Lexus RX, etc.). Get the new MDX, you will love it!!
    The 2007 MDX uses a different AWD system. That may mean a different prop shaft and different joints (which I believe are the problem for the Pilot).
  • cybur1cybur1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 MDX and have generally been pretty satisfied with the reliability; no repairs, only routine maintenance. Over the past 6 months, I have noticed that the volume control for the stereo on the steering wheel doesn't always function properly. It happens very sporadically, but pushing the volume control either up or down causes the volume to increase. I'm coming down to the end of my warranty and wonder if this is the beginning of a larger problem. Heard of any similar problems? I'm sure it won't be acting up when I take it in.
    Have an '04 as well and the same problem. I always thought it was because my wife spilled soda on the steering wheel because sometimes it sticks. The problem is very sporadic, probably half a dozen times. For me, not worth tearing the steering wheel apart.
  • cybur1cybur1 Member Posts: 7
    I blame my wife for everything, too. Apparently your problem has not gotten any worse?
  • solosolo Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for your response to my Tahoe/MDX debate. Sometimes I think Honda might be getting ahead of its self with the latest technology ( like Mercedes did 5 to 6 years ago) Checking the Tahoe forums, most gripes continue to be mileage. You are correct, MDX is not in the same class (truck platform) as a Tahoe, but Tahoes sure ride quiet and smooth! It can be fun to research all the vehicles that fit our needs. Seems more than ever tho, it boils down to a crap shoot. Good luck with your 07.
    I agree Tahoes are nice, probably the best choice in the truck based suv's out there today. A little too big for my wife's tastes, which is why we went for the Luxury SUV segment and ultimately the MDX. Loving the car so far (when I get to drive it). Researching these vehicles is a lot of fun. I guess that is the american way, we love trying to make top 10 lists of just about everything. When I researched Luxury SUV's recently, the MDX was consistently in my top 1 or 2. Which of course is why I currently own one. Time will tell how it does. As you said, a crap shoot. Take care!

Tony
    2007 MDX, ENT/TECH
  • gary51gary51 Member Posts: 2
    All the power windows of my 2005 MDX stopped working at once (including the sun roof). I checks the main fuse under the hood (40A) and the main switch on the driver's door and they are both fine. Unfortunately I just crossed the 50,000 miles and the dealer would charge $50 just to look at it. I am lost. Any suggestions before I give up?

Thanks,

Gary
  • adman518adman518 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what an 05 MDX is rated to tow?. Anyone have any experince towing with an MDX? I am consdering buying either an MDX, a GX470 or and X5 al in the 04 or 05 model years
    Thanks
    3,500 lbs of box trailer
    4,500 lbs of boat trailer.

This assumes you have a tranny cooler installed.

One thing to note... MDX specifications for the 2001-2006 model years are published assuming the vehicle is also hauling 4 occupants and their gear for a weekend. Most other companies assume only a driver and zero gear. So, their numbers are inflated a wee bit.

For more, read up on this link (scroll down to the bottom).
  • msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    How often do you need to change oil/filter etc., on a 2007 MDX? Dealer says "there is no number, the computer tells you when it is necessary". What is your experience? Every 5,000 miles? 4 months? Thanks, - MS.
    I discussed this issue with my acura technician. The computer is not just a "ticker" that counts mileage, it also measures engine rpms as well as other parameters. So, depending on your driving style you may need oil changed sooner or later than usual.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    Anyone experience a noise when stopping(going forward or backward) which seems to be coming from the driver's side towards the rear of vehicle underneath? Sometimes almost sounds like fuel shifting. Brakes do not necessarily have to be applied. Car operates well but I think noise has really been there since it was new (Oct. and only has 4000 miles).
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    Has anyone noticed a hood vibration when going over 70 mph? In my 2007 MDX, I'm getting violent hood vibration when reaching 70 - 80 mph. This is especially noticeable when heading into the wind.

Taking MDX for 12000 mile service check on May 14. Mentioned the hood vibration to service department on the phone and they said MDX "hood does shake some". This is getting to feel like a design flaw on Acura's part. Any comments?
  • ulsuls Member Posts: 7
    The computer is set to service the oil every 7500 miles. However Acura technicians suggest either 7500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first depending upon the conditions of driving, which is usually associated with extreme weather.

The oil changes usually cost around $ 34.95 however you would also need to change the Rear differential fluid which is expensive and can add up to $ 200 and change.