Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ulsuls Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 MDX and have a 2 month old too. And guess what, I use the Graco Sung-ride in the middle seat in the middle row. My experience has been good so far. I can install it on the middle seat as MDX has a hinge below the retractable arm rest and also one hinge next to the seat behind the driver seat.
    The car base remains firm and intact where the belt crosses the base, but it moves up from the seat as you go further away from the belt. I am not sure how to overcome that issue and whether it is an issue to begin with. Either way, once you set up the car seat, I would highly recommend getting it inspected at the local police station. They do the inspection for free. Statistically 70% of the car seats are not installed accurately as per responses collected from cops.

Good luck and congrats in advance.
  • sisu1996sisu1996 Member Posts: 25
    I got my 06 MDX Sept last year. The "Maintenance required" light came up at around 6,400 miles. The customer rep at the dealership could not exlain why the light was on earlier. My guess is that the trip computer takes into consideration of extreme drive (low speed in-city drive). Anyway, the differential fluid was changed, and tired was rotated. That was all needed to be done according to the dealer. It cost me $110 including tax.
  • realms_realityrealms_reality Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2007 MDX Tech/Ent and i have about 4,200 miles on it so far. My oil life is around 40%. I am planning to take along trip by this month end and now i will come to my question :)

When did you 2007 X owners first took your car for any sort of regular service ? What mileages and which month.

Was is dependent completely on the maintenance minder system ?

Was it simply a oil change or did you guys get something more done ?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    This is totally just my opinion but I had the first oil change in my '07 @ 3,000 miles regardless of what the computer said. I was in the neighborhood (of the dealer) so I stopped. I next plan to change the oil when the car tells me to with synthetic.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I brought my MDX in last year for it's first oil change, and I brought it in early, at 2,700 miles.
    I was planning a trip from MA to IL, and wanted to get the new oil in before I left.

The dealer turned me away and told me to wait until I got back.
    They explained that Acura uses special oil with additives to assist with proper break-in, and early changes were not recommended.

First I had heard of something like that, but I did as they told me to do. :confuse:
  • msingh1msingh1 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first time posting here. Have been reading for long time and the postings have always been very helpful.

I bought 07 MDX with Tech package in 11/06. Have noticed 2 problems for which I ave already been to the dealer once without a fix ( BTW the dealer is in St Louis and I live in Columbia, MO about 120 miles away).

1. XM radio reception issue: While driving or parked the radio looses reception and all I get is static. People at XM say that the factory radio is faulty and Acura says that all is well. My friend has a Pilot with XM and has no problems. :confuse:

2. Rear suspension noise : Whenever the car goes over evena small bump there is a noise from the rear suspension area which sounds like a thud. Sounds like a strut is bad. Dealer test drove the vehicle and told me that it is from 3rd orw seat. :confuse: .

Wondering if anyone else has the same problems. I am going to St Louis again on Saturday to get this fixed. Would appreciate any input.

P.S - sorry about long wordy message.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Hi gang, I am in the market for a 2004 MDX for the wify and I wanted to hear from those who own a 04; are there any problems that I should be aware of from the 04s? Are you mostly satisfied with it? Does it pay to buy it "certified" or just through a private seller? What are your maintanance routine to keep the truck in top shape? And most importantly, did you buy it brand new in 04 or used?

I have been seeing prices around $20,000 to $22,950 (33k to 60k miles) here in NJ and NY. Is that a good range?

Thanks in advance for your inputs and for taking the time to answer so many questions :>)

R
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    2. Rear suspension noise : Whenever the car goes over evena small bump there is a noise from the rear suspension area which sounds like a thud. Sounds like a strut is bad. Dealer test drove the vehicle and told me that it is from 3rd orw seat.

Do you keep the 3rd row up or down? Whichever way you do it, try driving around with the seat in the other position. If the noise goes away, your dealer is probably right.

All you may need to do is place a small chunk of rubber or foam under the seat to create something like a recoil spring. It will soften the "landing" when the seat frame comes to rest after being lifted by a bump.
    I'm your man.

I bought a 2004 touring model back in November of 2005. I purchased through a dealer. Checking the title, we found the vehicle had been on the road for 18 months. It had 33K miles on it at the time.

No major known problems with the 2004 models. It appears the tranny issues with earlier years were sorted out. Posters here and in other forums have reported a number of issues, but not many that are epidemic.

Mine has been flawless, but I've only had it for 18 months myself. It now has something like 68K miles on the odo. I'm averaging 21.4 mpg with a 60/40 split between highway travel and suburban streets. I see plenty of stop and go on crowded highways, but almost never do real city driving.

No idea what pricing is like today.
  • progerproger Member Posts: 44
    I bought my 2004 MDX Touring Brand New back in February 2005. I have about 39,000 miles in it at present, and had no problem, except for a minor one, my front right light assembly got foggy after 3 months of owning it. The dealer took care of it by replacing with a new one. Never had a problem ever since and loving it. I don't know the market price for this model at this time. Bought mine for 40K and to me, 20k to 23k would be a very good price. Good luck.
  • scoot84scoot84 Member Posts: 21
    msingh1,

I just bought a 2007 MDX Tech package 6 days ago and also noticed a slightly loud noise from the rear when hitting even the smallest of bumps. I was thinking that I may be being a bit paranoid, so I am glad I found your post. I too was thinking that it may be from the 3rd row of seats being folded down. I then also checked that the spare was on tight underneath and not hitting the undercarriage with every bump. For now I have just been turning the radio up a bit so I dont hear it as much. Great solution huh?

Did you make it back to the dealer again? If so did they do anything to fix it?

Thanks,
    D. Wilson
  • realms_realityrealms_reality Member Posts: 16
    Just back from a long trip and i guess i have the first problem on my new 07 X. Barely three months old. Whenever i switch on my A/C and i am idling i could hear a low rumble and a boom when the motor / compressor switches itself on. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what is the resolution ?

Since i have the warranty i am sure the dealer is going to play the cat and mouse game and i want to be fully prepared.

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might switch on the AC at idle, set your brake and park lever, then open the hood and observe if the AC compressor is vibrating. You might have someone turn the AC off and on while you are standing ON THE SIDE of the car and have your fingertips on the fender, to check if the vibration goes away when the AC is off.

you might have loose compressor mounts or some such?
  • vetpathologistvetpathologist Member Posts: 30
    :surprise: I have an 04 Model that was idle in the garage for 4 days. I could start the engine with some difficulty and drove around trying to charge the battery, but I still think it is not adequately charged. The indicator in the battery is green.
    Any thoughts on the lifespan of MDX batteries/warranty.
    Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Usually most batteries are peaking out around 4 or 5 years.

A Tip: If your battery was truly run down and barely turning the engine over, it's not a good idea to charge it with the alternator. This puts a lot of strain on the alternator, and repeated use of the alternator as a charger for really dead batteries will lead to a premature failure of that unit.
  • suvhuntsuvhunt Member Posts: 27
    This sounds silly, but your help will save me some time hunting in the hardware section. I need additional screws for mounting front and rear license plates on my new 07 MDX. What size screws do I need and is this a standard thing for all cars/suvs? Thanks.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    The dealer installed mine but I imagine if you went to "AutoZone" they could help you out.
  • tiffanystiffanys Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a 2007 MDX with Parchement Leather Interior. Dirt eaily shows up since the leather is pretty light in color. What should I use to clean the leather and how often?

Thanks,

Tiffany.
    Damp cloth.

If you use a cleanser with a degreaser, it will suck the natural oils out of the leather hide. The leather will end up dry and may crack.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    I have a new 2007 MDX Sport that has a very strange "clunking" noise from the rear suspension. It is heard on choppy roads, not when I go over just one bump. It sounds like its the driver's side, but I could be wrong on that. Anyone else have something similar? Does anyone know what the fix is? I suspect my dealer will "not be able to replicate the customer's complaint". I also have a defect in my windshield which is causing a distortion, but they said they would replace it and some loose interior trim. It's three weeks old, I hope this isn't indictative of Acura build quality. I love this vehicle, it drives so well. I just want it to hold up for 8 years.
    Thanks.
    Hi DMS9,

My car MDX is about 5 weeks old and I noticed the rather loud clunking noise coming from the rear right from the get go. I have yet to bring it to the attention of the dealer. I was planning to wait until my first oil change. I have been trying to figure out what it is but havent had any success. The car is great, has a smooth ride, but that noise when I hit even the smallest of bumps is driving me nuts.

If anyone gets a reasonable explanation of where the noise is coming from and what the fix is please let post on this formum.

Regards,
    Scoot84
    Interesting. Maybe that's just the way it is? Do you have a Sport, it could be something with the heavy duty suspension or magnetic shocks? I had three people in the car today, the added weight made it much more noticable.

If anyone has had this problem, and had it fixed, please let us know what it is.

Thanks,
    David
  • bertramkbertramk Member Posts: 4
    Ever since my MDX (Sport w. Entertainment) was brand new it makes a "whoop whoop whoop" sound from the front left wheel area the very first time the vehicle is accelerated or rolled when cold up to 2000 RPM. For example, I back out of my driveway and while gently accelerating or rolling down the hill the sound surfaces for 3 to 6 revolutions of the wheel and then stops for the rest of the drive until the car has been turned off and sitting for at least 15-30 minutes then the cycle starts again. It is the strangest thing. I now have 4000 miles on vehicle and it still does it every day, regardless of temperature. It is NOT the tires. Not sure if it something with AWD system the transmission or what. Any ideas? Thanks!
    I had an old S-10 blazer that did just that. It was the ABS system winding up. I am not sure that it's the same thing, but sounds exactly the same. I never fixed it. It didn't bother me and the car drove fine. Good luck.
  • badcloudbadcloud Member Posts: 2
    I also have a new 2007 MDX sport with now about 800 miles and it has a strange clunking noise when driven between 0-25. Noise from rear left side. Bumps and even flat surface cause it to clunk. Dealer will look at it to see what problem is as rep from service department witness noise too when test driving. Also have wind noise when going over 40 on the left driver window. Window is up and it's not a windy day. I'll let you know the fix for the clunking.
  • suvhuntsuvhunt Member Posts: 27
    My 2007 MDX Tech also some kind of noise coming from rear wheel/axel when going over small bumps. This is only when the car first starts but not after that. Are the noise you folks observe at all times or just the beginning of a drive?
    Mine is all the time, but only when I go over choppy roads. One bump straight on doesn't usually do it. It also happens if I hit a bump while turning. I suspect it is the mounts for the exhaust, which seems to be really loose. Please let me know if you have any luck finding out what this is. Maybe they will actually fix it.
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    Took my 2007 MDX in for first service at 6100+ MILES. Oil efficiency was at 10%. Had the tires rotated also. Drove it about 40 miles and found a large puddle of oil under the car in the garage. The oil looked "dirty" as like old oil and the level on the dipstick was OK, although a little bit high. As I was leaving for New England for the summer and storing the MDX, I asked my son-in -law to help. He called the Acura dealer and they recommended he call Roadside Assistance to help. They came to to house and loaded theMDX onto a truck and took it to the dealer. I have not heard from anyone yet what may be the problem, but I will report when I have info.

Love this website. Good info from all you folks. Wish me luck!

Jack H.
  • tommyj1tommyj1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have been researching the purchase of an mdx sport 2007. This blog has been a great resource. I believe that I have found a possible explaintion of the clucking issue. An Acura service bulletin has been issued. Here is the link to the bulliten I have found. Within the bulletin is the cause and vin numbers effected.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-033.PDF
  • it_guyit_guy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 MDX (2700 miles) and do not have such vibrations at 70-80 MPH. It makes me angry to here that the dealers expect us to live with such issues in a car of this price range.
  • it_guyit_guy Member Posts: 2
    I am glad to see this bulletin. I have the clunking noise from the rear suspension on my 07 MDX (Sport + Ent) with 2700 miles. I was waiting to get it checked out with the first oil change. I also had the noise from the front which was apparent when first driving the car (first slow down or stop) but it seem to have gone away. I am hoping that there aren't any more issues with this new MDX design.

BTW: I also have an airvent on the front dash (top) that keeps popping up. Anyone else has this issue?
    Two days before I left for my summer home in Maine, I took my 2007 MDX to the Acura Dealer for and oil change, filter and tire rotation. 6300 miles at the time. $53 and 1.5 hours later I get the car back and drive it home. The car was put in storage with a Battery Tender hooked up. The next morning as I was leaving for the airport, I noticed a large pool of motor oil under the vehicle. My son in law was with me and agreed to attend to the matter.

The dealer was contacted and he recommended calling Roadside Assistance and let them decide what should be done. Road Assistance came and decided the MDX should go to the dealer for repair. It was loaded on a flat bed truck and taken to the dealer that had serviced it. Everyone was most helpful in solving the problem.

After inspection by the dealer, it was determined that the oil was the old oil that had gone into a "catch basin" while being drained. The catch basin had not been cleaned out properly and the old oil had ultimately spilled out onto my garage floor. (This whole explanation seems a bit odd) The vehichle was later picked up by my grandson and returned to my home.

I don't know how much expense was incurred by the dealer in this exercise, but it probably was considerable. In any event, it certainly raises severe questions as to the quality control of the service dept. of my local dealership. If a simple task as an oil change and filter plus tire rotation cannot be done correctly, then what happens if I should have a real problem?

Jack H.
  • brothjebrothje Member Posts: 3
    My backup camera on my 2003 MDX stopped working about a month ago. I took it into the dealer who said that the camera had gone bad, so I needed a whole new camera.

The price was going to be $1,094, so I said I would think about it, as I wasn't sure I needed if fixed that bad. Anyone had an experiences with backup cameras gone bad?
    The backup camera on my 2007 MDX has been totally worthless. The "fish eye view" completely distorts the view and judgement of distance is lost. I would much rather have the "back up audio" system my son-n law has on his Ford expedition. This beeps louder and louder as the vehicle approaches an object to the rear, and at the same time the flashing light on the dash changes color from amber to red when you are very close.

I inquired at the dealer if the audio back up system was available. It is, for a price of about $1000.00. It annoys me to pay an additional $1000 after I have paid for the backup camera and NAV system in my original purchase of the vehicle. Is there an aftermarket audio system available any where? Comments please.

Jack H.

barb36jack31@yahoo.com
  • who8888who8888 Member Posts: 3
    THANK YOU! I took your notice to my dealer today and ask them to follow through on the service bulletin even though my VIN is out of the range listed in the bulletin. Afterward, the crazy annoying clunking sound is GONE! :P

Now, maybe you can help out on the loud popping sound when I start the car. It happens sometimes and sometimes it does not. I ask the service manager and he said it was related to Ethanol fume that is combusted when I start the car. He said it happens on his Toyota but I am thinking how could that be? It is so random that what he say does not make any sense. It happens when I have full tank or 1/4 tank. Anyone else have that strange pop when you start your MDX?
    I setup my wife's Nokia 7370 and she is able to make and receive calls. I just setup my E65 today for my key but I think I still need to completely set it up. I recall the MDX goes through some dance to setup the handsfree feature completely like testing some function through the phone via BT back to Acura site. At which point, you will be able to download your contact from the phone to the car if you like. So I can say Nokia/Cingular is fine at least in my case.
  • tursiopstursiops Member Posts: 8
    yes!!!! I have the same thing with my 2007 MDX sport... I have been hounding the service people about it and at first they told me to adjust the rubber "grommets" in the engine compartment, which only makes the gap larger and the vibration more extreme. This time around when I had my 10,000 mile service, they told me that since the hood is aluminum, it is going to vibrate and I will have to get used to it because there is nothing they can do about it. Mine vibrates a good 1.5 inches when on the interstate... good luck!!!
  • gerry_fangerry_fan Member Posts: 2
    I have 2007 MDX only 2000 miles. Recently I noticed
    each time when the car got started each morning, right after the engine started, a "Bong" sound was heard. There
    can be repeated several times. Afterwards, when the engine got started again, there was no such sound. Has any one
    had such experience?
    Appreciate very much for your comments.
  • gator35gator35 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 MDX Tech. with 2400 miles. I had the trailer hitch option installed. I'm having an intermittant problem with the rear hatch not unlocking. So far the dealer can not seem to locate the problem. No matter which unlock option is used; key fob, internal unlock, or two turns of key in door lock, nothing works. Rear doors are unlocking as prompted. I believe the problem lies with the hitch installation, dealer doesn't necessarily agree. Does anyone else have any insight?

Rick b.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    What was the timing of the hitch installation and when the problem first began to occur? In any event, the dealer should be obligated to fix it - clearly a warranty issue assuming the dealer installed the hitch which you seem to imply.
  • picky2002picky2002 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 MDX developed a problem with the rear A/C in that the blower would not blow air. The initial estimate was $160, but turned out to be $136 for the "transistor" plus $154 labor. The dealer then said that the front and side engine mounts were defective. Honda would pay for the parts, even though they were out of warranty, but I had to pay $390 labor. To install the engine mounts took no more than 2 hours. I think the labor charges my California dealer are a little high.

Has any one else had problems with the engine mounts, especially if you did not know there was a problem in this area when you took the car to the dealer?
  • frankr2frankr2 Member Posts: 5
    I've purchased a 2007 Acura MDX about a month ago. The car drives great and my wife and I love all the improvements from our 98 Taurus. The only thing that has put a big damper on the whole "new car experience", is the annoying clunking noise coming from the rear. I've taken it to the dealer and the first time they replace a shock. I took it home and the problem persisted. I took it a second time and they replaced some bolts that apparently were not designed for the new model. I drove after the repair and it had improved, but I still could hear some noise coming from the rear. The mechanic assured me that most new models have that problem and part of it is, according to them, is because and SUV has no trunk per se, and the sound resonates more than in a sedan. No a very satisfying explanation after expending 40 grand. I even drove another new MDX that was sitting in the yard and it had some strange noises coming from the rear. After all that, Again, I took it home and the problem persisted yet again. I've called the dealer and set up another appointment, the third on a brand new car! I've told them that I wanted a loaner and I wanted that problem fixed once and for all. I just can't believe that I'm having such a horrible experience on such a high end car. Sometimes it even makes me regret the purchase of this car. I think Acura needs to address this issue and turn it into a recall of some sort. I'll post again after I take the car to the dealer. Hope this helps. :mad:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's irritating.

You may be interested in Edmunds' new Dealer Ratings and Reviews - you can rate/review your dealer service there.
    You're right about that Steve, it is very irritating. But I'm sure (I hope) it can be resolved, because I love the car. Thank you so much for the dealer information. I'm going to check it out right now.
    I have the same problem. It's my 4th SUV and none has Clunked before. But see post #1307. I haven't had mine fixed yet, but that service will likely take care of it. Print the service and bring it to your dealer. If you aren't happy with them, go somewhere else for service.
    Is it still the "clunking" noise from the rear? I had my dealer fixed the problem according to the TSB as mentioned by a post earlier and the clunking noise is gone completely. Make sure your dealer change both rear bolt according to the TSB. I droved over 500 miles on my VA beach trip this weekend and no noise :shades:

Prior to seeing the TSB posting, I took apart the back trunk area trying to identify the noise and did find a part loose. Some plastic clip was popped out and rolling around. So if it is not a clunking sound like the spring, it maybe something else. Good Luck. I agree that for 40+K, this should not happen.
    Thank you for your post. Unfortunely, they did replace the bolt from that report but it didn't help. My car is still seating at the dealer. Actually today I'm driving it with an Acura representative. The dealer claims that there's nothing else they can do, so we are taking it to the next level. They say it could be the way the car is designed. I will never buy that explanation. Just like the rest of MDX buyers, I bought it because it's a luxury SUV and not to have it with a clanking noise. Keep checking, I'll post the results of today's drive with the Acura representative.
    Hi All,

I too brought my car in to the dealer and even printed off the report from Honda so they could see what to do. When I left the dealer the car was no different than when I brought it in. If I hit even a crack in the road it sounds like I hit a 2 foot deep pot hole.

I don't want to just deal with it, but I also dont want to be backand forth to the dealer over and over again. Anyone from NJ had this problem fixed by a good dealer?
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    I own a ES350 and have the same issue, rear rattle/clunking. I received the same answer from two dealers as well as Lexus headquarters as you did, it is designed like that. If that is the case than why buy a luxury car for premium price?
  • easman61easman61 Member Posts: 28
    The owner's manual for my 2007 MDX calls for 2.6qts of Honda ATF-Z1 in rear differential. I changed this myself and put in 2.6 qts and it still wasn't up to the fill hole. I put in about .2 qts extra and still no sign of it in the fill hole. Called dealer and service dept said to fill it until it comes out. Why would it take more than the owner's manual says? Don't want to screw anything up by over filling. Any thoughts? Thanks.