Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota

Comments

• yramlambyramlamb Member Posts: 6
    We're first time pickup owners (or will be) and have an opportunity to purchase a Dodge Dakota, '95, V8,5.2l,AT,PS,TW,AM/FM cassette Stereo,custom bumper,SLT,PW,CC,Slinding rear window,Alloy Wheels,AC,PDL,Bed liner, wide tires w/ 59,176mi for $13,498 + tax and liscense. Can anyone tell me what you think of this deal. Kelly Blue Book si $16,665.
    I forgot to mention that the '95 Dakota is a club cab.
    Oh well, I also did not mention that this '95 Dakota is a 4x2.
  • AirCatAirCat Member Posts: 16
    Sight unseen it is tough to say, the Kelly site has some good info on how to rate value (what is good/ excellent etc). But beyond that if you get 20% off book it is usually a pretty fair deal if you know it has not been wrecked/does not have any major problems/etc/etc. Your deal is 19% off so if you like it? As with all used trucks, it is buyer beware! What kind of warranty did it come with when new? Will warranty xfer to you? If it only had a 3/30K warranty it expired, even a 5/50k has run out of miles. Can you get an aftermarket warranty for 1 yr,20K miles to protect yourself for a yr? Unless you are a fairly accomplished mechanic I would avoid any truck without some warranty. GOOD LUCK whatever you decide.
  • jaksynjaksyn Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the delay in reply - busy driving my Dakota. I bought a 1998 Club Cab, Light Driftwood is the color. Lou Fusz Dodge was the dealer (Saint Louis, MO) the salesman was Pete Sahm - a 'real' type of guy. I did my homework on the net pricing sites, contacted Pete through carpoint.com (also financed the truck through carfinance.com). I have never had such a great vehicle buying experience! If anyone wants more detailed info I would be glad to list every option, code letters and prices, list and wholesale, as well as internet addresses for the pricing. But if it is of no interest, I will save the space.

Toodles!
    Jaksyn
  • RedheadRedhead Member Posts: 1
    Maybe someone here could help me-- I went to the dealership last weekend to start seriously shopping for a 1998 Dodge Dakota. I had all of the Edmunds info on me- when the dealer handed me the MSRP invoice, the Magnum V6 was listed separately, at a total of $500. I checked the Edmund's info and the dealer invoice pricing doesn't seem to list the Magnum V6. Does anyone know what cost should be on that? Thanks. Hopefully a deep amethyst club cab Dakota will be in the driveway soon.
    Redhead
  • thegoinkerthegoinker Member Posts: 8
    Redhead
    I bought a Dodge Dakota with the V6 engine and it was listed as a $500 option. The base engine being the 4cylinder (standard) The $500 figure is correct. I wish now that I could have gone with the V8, but practibility and common sense won out. I just do not need all that piZZZZaz and power! Especially here in West Central Florida, the "blue hair" mecca of the planet! I hope this helps. -Peggy Louise
  • CRABCRAB Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what some thoughts were on the '98 V-6 base versus the '97 model. I was thinking of getting a Dakota, but then someone told me that he heard that Dakotas has a reliability problem. Anyone got the scoop?
  • poodleheadpoodlehead Member Posts: 1
    Afterr reading the posts to this column, I have a couple of questions for you all...
    1. I plan to use my new dakota for hauling canoes, kayaks, aand camping tuff. No heavy hauling except firewood and dirt occasionally. But kayacks / canoes almost every weekend. Max weight under 500 lbs on a regual basis. I live where it is flat (Houston) and spend a good portion on freeways.. That said, I am wonderin about v6 vs 5.2 v8. Any comments ?
    Also references to tranny problems ? What tranny problems ? Automatic or manual ?
    Thanks guys...
  • thegoinkerthegoinker Member Posts: 8
    Has anybody tried these air filters? Do they really increase performance? If so and I install one, will it void the factory warranty on my '98 Dakota?
  • thornestarthornestar Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a Dakota does any one have any suggestions or comments?
  • scourgescourge Member Posts: 1
    to thornestar, ya don't go to late in the day, i went in at 7:30 today, they close at 8pm. I wanted a dakota loaded v6 club cab, they offered it to me for 22,000 which i practically passed out at, my trade... is a 95 gmc sonoma, with 3,000 of options put into it after sale, going price for that is 10,500 trade in value. they offered me 4,500. I spent an hour, and the sales person actually said this to me at the end "if you can't come up with 4,000 you might as well leave" so i did. they would not move off prices at all. i showed them print outs even from edmunds. i did every tactic that i could think of even "i guess you don't want to sell me a car" and edmunds was right, he turned red at that one LOL it was butifull. But that's when he told me to come up with money and leave. crappy sales person if you ask me. Good luck man and get ready to spend an entire day there. and to utilize every thing on this web site, if it was anything like my experience. It just got me back in the car buying mood again, tomarrow i go for broke,and not the "test drive" grin.
  • devenmdevenm Member Posts: 2
    i am looking at buying a 1987 dakota 4wd v6 3.9L engine. it has 140,000 miles on the truck with the engine being rebuilt after 60,000 miles. it is only $2000. i would have to have the e-brake replaced and i could get a paint job. is it worth it. please e-mail me about weather this is a good deal. is there a lot of problems with this truck? it is my first truck! Please give me advise
  • devenmdevenm Member Posts: 2
    would you buy this truck???????????
    honestly!
  • pttaylorpttaylor Member Posts: 34
    devenm, I would not buy "anything" with that many miles on it for $2K!!!!!
  • Rebelgator57Rebelgator57 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,
    I am trying to find out if any other people are having problems with there power steering
    pumps on 97 or 98 Dakota. The problem is not constant but for a new truck should not be happening. When decelerating something seems
    to plug up and cause fluid to be forced out the fill
    cap. Of course Dodge denies that there is a problem, but I have talked with one other Dakota owner that had the same problem. Also with the paint flaking off front bumper. Just had it repainted for 2 time. Otherwise the truck has been great. It is 1997 Dakota sport 6 cly reg cab.
    Any other with info please let me know.

Thanks Randy
  • MipSavyMipSavy Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I was interested in buying a '98 Dakota x-tra cab (4wd of course) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the largest size tires you can put on the new Dakota without getting a lift kit. I know they come with 31x10.75 but is that the largest I can get?
  • timlincatimlinca Member Posts: 4
    Interesting to read of steering problems. I took
    delivery of my 1997 SLT ext cab on April 1 1997.
    Two weeks later the hose popped off of the power steering pump and it became very hard to steer:^(
    The dealer simply reattached the hose and filled the fluid. Two weeks later the pump froze and caused the belt to pop off. (The pulley froze) This caused the alternator, water pump and everything else on the belt (which is everything) to stop working. Had to be towed in.
    Then, the dealer replaced the pump and belt.
    That, my friends it the only problem I had with the Dakota in over 1 year of ownership. I've got 20,000 miles on it. I just chalk it up to an assemply problem. Someone in the factory didn't tighten a hose clamp screw. The failure of the pump I attribute to driving the truck 1/2 hour without power steering fluid for lubrication. The dealer should have replaced it the first time instead of just patching it.
  • timlincatimlinca Member Posts: 4
    I thought I would give you folks my own thoughts on Dakota ownership for the first year and 20,000 miles. Like I said in my previous post, the truck is a 1997 that was special ordered from the factory. In fact the sticker in the window said "Specially made for Tim Layman". A nice touch. I got a price midway between MSRP and invoice, not a great deal but not bad. It has the 5.2 liter motor, handling package, 2WD, SLT club cab, heavy duty service package, limited slip dif, premium sound system, standard seats, automatic. Basically set up to tow as much as possible but without a hitch yet.
    Comments:

1) Power steering problem listed in previous post.
    2) Engine is very smooth, quiet but believe it or not, seems underpowered to me. Tons of torque off the line but horsepower drops off above 3000rpm. I think what we have here is a lot of low end torque for towing and load carrying but 0-60 is not that good. The engine is powerful for what it should be used for but you won't win any stoplight drag races with it:^) (My wife's 96 2.8liter stratus is faster to 60 but I can tow a boat trailer.)
    3) Gas mileage is 16-16.5 consistently. You may consider that good or bad compared to what you are used to.
    4) Ride is too soft. Big bumps cause the truck to oscillate several times before returning to steady state. I am planning to put stiffer gas shocks to remedy this. (I have the optional handling package)
    5) Limited slip rear end has very slight jitter when starting from a dead stop. So slight that I am the only one to notice it so far.
    6) Truck is very quiet and very comfortable inside. The standard seats and appointments are very nice and comfortable.
    7) A little tough to park in tight spots due to it's size. It is nearly 3 feet longer than my previous 1986 Ford Ranger. I'm still getting used to the size. I like it except when it comes time to park.
    8) It's a 1/2 ton rated truck. You can throw a half ton in the back and not even know it's there.
    9) The optional Infinity and Alpine CD system is great. It adds to comfort level on long trips.
    10)It survived a hail storm that dented the hoods of the small Hondas next to me on the freeway. (They called in the local radio station complaining about this. I just drove home.)
    11) I have not had one squeak or rattle in the entire time I owned this truck. There are no paint problems or fit and finish problems at all.
    12) Contrary to what I read in this list, my auto tranny is extremely smooth and quiet. It shifts perfectly and always at the right time. I must have gotten a defective one:^)

Those are my pro and con comments. Hope it helps anyone trying to make a decision.

Tim
  • bch239bch239 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a compact truck purchase by mid summer. Have looked at all of them, foreign and domestic. Am leaning toward Dakota, but with T100 as a second contender. 90% of my driving is to/from work (~ 50 mi per day), so I need low maintenance, dependable, and mileage better than 18 mpg. Not looking to tow much of anything other than an occasional load of mulch, or my ATV to the deer camp. I want a truck for its utility - own a day care and am always buying supplies, food, play equip, cribs, etc.

Currently have an 89 Nissan King Cab; considered replacement, but it's too small.

Let me hear about the good and the bad ........
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Are you sure the Dakota will get 18+ mpg?
  • pttaylorpttaylor Member Posts: 34
    BCH238,
    If you want 18+mpg from a Dakota, you will be lucky to get that with the 3.9LV6! Maybe you could with the 4cyl. though. I drive a 1998 3.9L V6 Auto and do not get over 16mpg in town. I have not had a chance to check the highway mpg yet.
  • dicksmithdicksmith Member Posts: 2
    Hello all you DAKOTA fans, I just logged onto this sight and have skimmed thru some of the remarks on this great truck. Thought I'd thro in my 2 cents worth. I special ordered mine and took delivery in dec. of 97. Black, 2WD, and V-8 POWER! It stickered at a little over 20 grand, so it's got quite a few goodies. I've also added a few more Dodge accessories including the front bug deflectors, bed liner, wheel moldings(these really look sharp),and plan on adding those nice black anodized bed rails soon.
    I've been a MOPAR fan since my high school days back during the great performance wars in the late 60's and early 70's. When I heard of this new sports truck coming out with V-8 power I had to get one. And let me tell anyone who's reading this, Dodge did a great job, I get comments all the time on how great the truck looks, and anyone I let drive it, really like the power and feel on the road. The upgraded suspension with huge Goodyear Eagle LS's mounted on those sharp looking 15 X 8 in aluminum rims really grip the road. By the way, if anyone else has this option and has noticed unusual wear on the outside front tires, Have a good alignment shop compensate by adjusting the toe spec about 1/16 per side to eliminate the scrubbing.
    I live in upstate New York, and drive almost 50 miles to work one way. Yep, that's approx. 500 miles per week, and with 40,000 miles on it up to now, it drives as good as the first day I picked it up. I do run only synthetic oil with a Prolong boost. I'm just about ready to change the trans fluid and rear end and plan on using synthetics there to.
    The 318 they thru in this is really a smooth little number. I can cruse down the NYS Thruway at 75 MPH and only turn about 2200 RPM, with the 3.55 limited slip rear end! That's not even half the red line! I have the overhead console, and the MPG has stayed between 17.5 and 18 since I've bought it. Anybody want to argue on the reason to buy a V-8 over a V-6!!
    I'm now debating on trading it in on the RT. I've seen a few around and they really look sharp. Haven't seen any short boxes yet. It's gotta be a hell of a runner! I see Edmunds doesn't list the options yet in their sight, but the RT lists about $3000 more on the window, anyone got the dealer costs?
    Haaa... who needs it, I can baby mine around in comfort and at any time, SMOKE almost any stock truck on the road.
    Happy motoring
    Yeah, but remember, the Dakota V-8 is not even in the class of the Ranger or the S-10, and it's obvious with the price. The question is, is the Dakota the best choice when you can get a full size for a few bucks more?
  • UnhappyUnhappy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 4x4 Dakota CC with the 3.9 V6. The truck is almost 6 months old. I was wondering if anyone has had a vibration problem with their Dak's?? The dealership and Chrysler has been chasing one in mine since day one!! They have balanced the driveshaft, replaced the driveshaft, replaced the ring&pinion, balanced tires and a multitude of other things but the vibration is still there. It seems to come in at between 40-45 mph and stays till over 60. It's like traveling over a road that a bulldozer has been on with the trac marks.

I like the truck, but this has been very frustrating. Nothing like the 95 Ram 4x4 I sold to buy this truck. Any help you can lend will be appreciated. Right now I've asked for a replacement vehicles, as this falls well within the Lemon Law requirements.

Thanks!!

Unhappy!!!
  • truckenvytruckenvy Member Posts: 4
    5 Years ago, I would have only considered 1 small truck on the market - Toyota. With the look of the Dakotas, reliability of the Rangers, and prices of the imports, I am now ready to change my mind. However, these little trucks all cost about the same as buying a full size. Where is the logic there? Also, with the new Dakotas, they talk about beefing up the undercarriage. Historically, Dodge has not been the most reliable. Have things improved with the new styling?
  • sgrantsgrant Member Posts: 5
    Dmat,
    What does your service department say about the noisy shifters?
  • E3MP6E3MP6 Member Posts: 70
    I just got a new 4x4 Dakota SLT Club Cab. Awesome truck. Beats everything on the market hands down (except maybe the full Ram). Price was something that started to turn me away from the Dakota though. You're right. The Ranger and S10/Sonoma are cheaper, but the dakota is much bigger. My truck is just as long and tall as a Chevy 1500 (longer than a Ford F-150), just not quite as wide. After all, it is still a mid-size truck. The thing that finally got me to go with the Dakota instead of a full size like the Ram was that by going to a slightly smaller truck but keeping the V-8 engine (I've got the 5.2 ltr.)I was able to add on the club cab, 4x4, and load it out on the power options for about the same price as a Ram with some options and the 5.9 ltr V-8
  • ed44ed44 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in purchasing a Dakota but am not a big fan of Chrysler engines, does anybody know the history of the 5.9L V8 ? What is its reliability and repair records ? What other cars does Chrysler/Dodge put it in ?
    ed44:
    The 5.9 for the Dakota is only in the R/T model. It's a street muscle truck through and through. I don't know 'bout the reliability stuff, but it will smoke almost anything off the line now that Dodge shoehorned that 5.9 into the Dakota.

the Dakota 5.9 is the same 5.9 in the Ram. I have friends with 5.9 Rams, no complaints so far (both '97 models)

everyone:

I want to put a dual exhaust system on my 5.2 V-8 Dakota (wish the 5.9 was avail. in 4x4). I've never done dual exhaust before and have heard (comments in the 'Coupes' section of TownHall) that I need to be careful not to mess up the balance between the intake and outake. I don't want to get too in depth in what I have to change. Anybody have suggestions...ie from the cats back or headers back? Pipe size? FlowMaster? etc...
    I'm not real interested in raising the horse power, just getting a good solid rumble. None of that glass pack stuff.

Thanx!
    Almost forgot that one. Anybopdy know of any other Chrysler vehicle using the 5.9? So far Dakota R/T, Ram, and Durango.
  • lab357lab357 Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking into purchasing a 98 Dakota Extended Cab 4X2 V6 and have been reading your comments on the Dakota in general. It seems that several people are having problems with the engine and transmission. Is this limited to a certain model and engine combination?
  • jimbobjonesjimbobjones Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 93 dodge dakota, with a v6 3.9l, it makes a clicking noise under the engine and the guy that sold it says that all dodge 3.9's do that. Someone else also mentioned that. Is there really a problem?
  • mmcelroymmcelroy Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone here own a Dakota?
  • leedy1998leedy1998 Member Posts: 1
    I'm wanting to by a mini or mid sized pickup. And I've looked at some Nissan's and some dakota's. I'm a real mopar fan. And I'd much rather have DODGE.

I'm looking at a 1994 Dakota ext Cab v-8 slt 4x4
    It has all the extra's and a bedliner and camper top.(probably take that off) But it has 98,000 miles. That kind of mileage scares me just a little bit. Edmund's say's it's worth $11,446. I called the dealer and he said he wanted $9,950. By the end of the conversation he wanted me to come check it out and he dropped the price to $9,500. I can't go look at it until this weekend but i think if i take $9,000 cash with me. He will probably take it. SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME THEIR PAST EXPERIENCE WITH DAKOTA'S AND MILEAGE LIKE THIS.

I think high mileage is the only way i can afford a truck like this.

Thanks feel free to E-mail me!!!
  • ggoldbergggoldberg Member Posts: 1
    I have test drove 2 V-6 4x4's with 5 speed trans. Both had a slight miss in the engine, almost as if the computer didn't quite know what to do Does anyone know if this is normal ? The dealer said that it was and that it would go away w/ an auto trans.
  • kaateekaatee Member Posts: 1
    I posted this message in the wrong place so before the Webmaster catches me, I'll try again...
    I'm just visiting this forum, I usually hang out
    at the Durango site and have been doing so for 6 months. One problem someone reported was water and or mud splashing into the engine compartment thru large openings in the front wheel wells of the Durango. Since the Dakota has the same sheet metal on the front I thought any of you with the same concerns might benefit from my solution to the problem. Below is a "reprint" of a post I made earlier on the Durango site:

Before I got my D I had read about the large
    openings in the front wheel wells and the frame.
    I think Purdy was the one that reported mud being splashed onto the engine thru the holes. I had forgotten about it until a couple of weeks ago when I was driving through one of the summer thunder storms Va. is famous for. I drove into a large puddle and water must have splashed onto the exhaust manifold, for a second there I though I had a fire under the hood...turns out it was steam. I agree with others on this forum that it cannot be good for the engine, starter and other components to have water, mud etc. constantly splashed onto these parts. I
    fixed the problem with a design taken from my old
    Pathfinder. It had rubber splash guards installed
    over the openings to keep out unwanted debris
    and water. I made templates from paper and using these, cut rubber flaps to cover the holes. The rubber is held in place with automotive nylon
    fasteners. The result looks like it came from the
    factory (I don't know why they don't do it). Most
    of the work was in making the templates to fit
    around the brake lines and the opening in the
    plastic inner fender. After the rubber was cut it took about 30 mins. a side to install. A side benefit is there seems to be less brake dust on the front wheels, there must have been a lot of air coming thru the grill and going out those holes and thru the front wheels, carrying brake dust with it. If anyone is interested in a materials list and detailed instructions on how to install these, E-mail me. I would also be willing to mail people on this forum a complete "kit" (at cost, about $15 a side) with the rubber, cut to size, and the fasteners to hold them in place.

Ken
    Service Bulletin on '98 Dakota/Durango

Anybody experiencing this?

Knocking sounds like it's high up in the engine compartment, is in perfect timing with the idle of the engine, and becomes almost unnoticeable after revving up over 1500-1800 RPMs. Also, it can be felt in the steering wheel, dash, and or shifter if you've got a manual tranny.

One lame-o service center at a dealership I took it to said it was the exhaust "baffling" where the two manifold out-takes merge into the one pipe to go to the catalytic converter. That's a load if I've ever heard one. The knock is not always present, gets louder after being run for a while, and is obviously much higher in the engine than the relatively low lying exhaust pipe merger point. Bunch of crooks!

Anyhow, I took my truck to another Dodge dealer and the mechanic knew what it was before I even popped the hood. There's a black plastic valve housing about 3" long and 1 1/2" in diameter mounted to the firewall on the driver's side of the engine compartment, all the way at the top of the firewall. Has 2 or 3 hoses attached to it. Put your finger on it when you hear the knock (careful, it can be pretty hot). If it feels like someone's tapping it with a hammer, BINGO! Go see your service center and have 'em order the replacement part. It's not going to hurt anything, the knocking just gets annoying.

I'll see if I can get the service bulletin # and post it here later.
  • walipscombwalipscomb Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    What figures do I use to calculate a good offer on a 1998 Dodge Dakota SLT (+)?
  • rattmannrattmann Member Posts: 1
    I own a 90 extended Dak, w/86000 miles. My overdrive goes in and out at highway speeds. It drives me crazy! Any one else have this problem, and if so, what needs done? I had a 92 plymouth minivan that the trans went out on, and i'm concerned about this truck. Any comments are greatly appreciated! Thank you.
  • GwinGwin Member Posts: 2
    My question is Dodge Dakota 4X2 V6 or Toyota Tacoma Prerunner? Is the transmission problem recurring?
  • mousermouser Member Posts: 2
    rattmann,

on my '94 extended Dak, the overdrive goes out at highway speeds, but only sporadically. scared me good the first time it happened. now i just know to re-engage the o/d. don't know if this is causing longer term harm or not. problem first showed up w/about 8k miles. doesn't appear to be an aging problem. also, it's not getting worse. happens maybe once every other month or so. i'm around 48k mi now.
  • mousermouser Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the '99 ext Dak is going to have a third or fouth door?
    No word from Chrysler/Dodge yet on the 3rd/4th door, but with the Ranger and S-10 showing of their insides, Dodge will be stupid not to.
  • rick63rick63 Member Posts: 10
    I am seriously considering buying a Dakota ext/cab
    sport 4x2 with the 5.2l v-8, posted hp rating of 230 and torque rating of 300 ft lbs. Mostly will be using the vehicle for highway commuting, however I live in the Seattle area and would like to be able to do a little camping in it possible driving over some mild low level mountain passes < 4000ft. looking strictly at the specs I can equip the Dakota to have a payload capacity of 2000# and a max towing capacity of around 6500#. Ideally a few times a year I would like to strap on a small 7-8 foot camper (dry weight 1200-1400#) and tow a small ski boat (2500#) for a total GVCW (gross vehicle combination weight) of maybe 8000- 8500 #. I see ratings of Dakota's with towing packages claiming over 10000# GVCW. Will this truck do it!!! I am also considering the new F 150's but they are a little spendier 25K vs 20k and it would displace some of the tools from my garage. The specs are fairly comparable it just seems that the Dakota has everything that the F150 has but in a smaller package, which is preferable since I currently drive an RX7 and like the sportiness. Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Check out the ratings on the V-6 for the GVCW. I have the v-8 and it sucks gas. I think OPEC had a hand in designing it. The V-6 makes much more sense for around town driving and still has a good bit of punch, just doesn't drink as much gas. I got the V-8 to sooth my male ego *grunt*, but the V-6 would have been a more sensible choice. I love the raw power that the 5.2 magnum gives you in a truck as small as the Dakota, but I spend at least $120 in gas each month.
  • pete5pete5 Member Posts: 2
    what is a good deal for a 1998 dakota p/u club cab slt,v6,fully loaded,4/2

what is a good deal for a 1997 dakota p/u club cab slt,v6,fully loaded,4/2 with 110000 miles(from a dealer)
  • DaggettDaggett Member Posts: 23
    I had an interesting conversation a while back... While staying at a hotel in Canada, I talked with the owner of an identical-looking Dakota to mine. His was a '97 V6 and mine is a '98 V8, but other than that we have almost identical trucks (4x4, ext cab, bed cap, etc.). We were also on basically identical Canadian fishing trips, loaded with similar amounts of gear.

Well, he was lamenting the fact that he gets terrible mileage that his V6 gets. He gets about 17 on the highway. On that trip I got 19 mpg on two separate tanks of gas. I probably averaged close to 18 mpg on that trip. Needless to say, the gut and I were pretty suprised. I have heard similar reports that the V6 isn't significantly better than the 5.2L V8 when it comes to mileage.

A couple important caveats when considering gas mileage:

Highway mileage can vary significantly. When I drove about 60 mph (on the rough, narrow roads up north) I got 19 mpg. When I set the cruise at 72 on the big highways, I got closer to 16 mpg. All highway driving with the same load and dirver, but fairly different numbers due to speed.

Individuals obviously have their own habits when it comes to acceleration, passing, etc. Mileage will vary a great deal due to this.

So, my personal feeling is, I'd rather have the V8 for the available power for towing, passing, etc. and drive it more sensibly. I don't think the mileage is much different from driving a V6 that you end up pushing a bit more to squeeze out better performance.

Take it or leave it.
  • jst1jst1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1996 model Dakota, v6, club cab, auto, 4x12 & never got any better than 16 highway. I'm a speed-limit kind of driver. I don't do 75 in a 55: I do 55 in a 55, obviously adding to "road-rage"!
    I agree with you: the 318/v8 would be the better overall choice. It's simply NOT having to work as hard as the v6. I've talked to several truck owners over the years & it seems the v6's, though powerful, are still working too hard to get any measurable mpg difference worth mentioning...
    my two-cents.....
    A smaller engine doesn't necessarily get better gas mileage if it has to work harder to push the same weight. The Dakota is heavier than the average midsize. It appears the V-8 is better at handling the weight. Initial reports are seeing the same thing happen with the new Ford Superduty trucks. The V-8 engines are not getting much better gas mileage than the V-10 engines, and the V-10s have more hp and torque. A smaller engine will get you better gas mileage only if it is adequate to move the weight of the vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.