Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nswaalonswaalo Member Posts: 3
    Please share with the group once you find out. I'm in the same situation, but I think it would be costly to change.
  • ivicaivica Member Posts: 34
    I'm looking to buy a MDX in the states and then import into Canada. I would appreciate knowing which dealers were good to work with.

Regards

J.
  • dexterbotdexterbot Member Posts: 4
    it sounds like this is a known issue and actually it's a feature of the ABS. At least that's what I've read and I've read a lot of different boards about this issue.

If this happens only once after starting, it's very likely the ABS self-diagnostic. About 50 feet after you start rolling, the anti-lock brakes valves activate one at a time to verify they're working.

Unless someone else wants to chime in.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    Any pointers to changing the air filter? Bought either a Fram or Purolator and it looks like bolts are hard to get at. Thanks
  • asianbankerasianbanker Member Posts: 2
    Tommyj1-

Thanks for posting this information -- I thought I had gotten a lemon. I just bought my 2008 MDX and have had the same problem with the rear suspension. I don't really hear it much over small bumps, but when I drive over potholes and go up or down driveways, the clunking noise is horrendous. That is unacceptable for a luxury SUV, especially considering that the problem has been around since the '07 model year. I hope that the dealership can fix the problem when I go in tomorrow. Thanks to you, they can't say, "we can't replicate the problem..."
  • asianbankerasianbanker Member Posts: 2
    mfred -

I have the same problem with my car and after reading this forum, I found info on the 07-033 TSB. I was going to bring the car in tomorrow to see if the dealer can fix the problem per the TSB, but you are saying that the problem wasn't fixed? I'll let you know how it goes with my service -- stay tuned.
  • ncmdxncmdx Member Posts: 19
    A few years ago, I thought I read a post that stated that dealers will sale the "Certified" warranty to existing Acura owners. My MDX just passed the 45k mile mark and would be interested in finding out if I can get Acura Certification. Maybe I dreamed it, as now I cannot find any postings related to that discussion. However, I seem to recall that it was $500, but a dealer in VA was selling it for about half that.

If anyone happens to know, I would be very appreciative of information one way or the other.
  • aqmdxsport08aqmdxsport08 Member Posts: 2
    Asianbanker,

Any update on whether you got your issue fixed? I just bouhght an 08 MDX Sport and have the same noise from rear suspension. Dealer replaced rear shocks, sound went away for a day or so and is now back - very interested in hearing what your issue was and if it was resolved. Also, have you noticed the noise changing with additional weight in the car e.g. more noise with 4 people in the car than just one person?

Thanks.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Too bad you did not come to this forum before purchasing your 08 MDX. The issue you are experiencing is a well known problem with the new generation MDX. You'll have to learn to live with it as the fixes they have are only band-aids - The noises will eventually return. I know from experience. It is very disheartening indeed as you paid or are paying a good amount of dough for your MDX.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    I had problems with mine, but they ultimately found that I had a broken baffle in a muffler, which they replaced. I was really annoyed at first, but they worked out the bugs and it feels solid, no rattles at all. Pester your dealer, they can fix it if they want to. My dealer was fantastic, they went over and above what I would expect and got it corrected. -- Pohanka in Northern VA. If your dealer can't fix it, take it to another dealer.
  • dkim1dkim1 Member Posts: 10
    I had mixed results with Pohanka where I purchased my 07 mdx. Tom Smith was the advisor who kept ignoring my complaints of "popping" sounds upon starting the ignition. He told me three different reasons each time I took it in. I finally asked one of the service technician on his break to do me a favor and take a look and he fixed the problem in 30 minutes...He looked up the Acura Website for the known problems and solutions and it turned out that my MDX needed a software upgrade. Who was your service advisor?
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    Jayson McCullogh, he is fantastic. You should use him.
  • aqmdxsport08aqmdxsport08 Member Posts: 2
    Quick update - my dealer was told by Acura to 'grease' the rear struts - they have and the noise has not come back for a few weeks now.... fingers crossed!
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    I've got a 2001 MDX getting close to the 100K mileage marked. How much have folks been recently paid for the 105K major service??
  • cleveland1cleveland1 Member Posts: 2
    Just made an appt for next week and was told $1250 - not expected but if that lets me drive another 100k then its worth it - interested in others experiences too. And I have had ALL of the 2001 MDX problems noted in the string and the good news was my dealer stood between me and the Acura regional folks and got most things covered that should not have gone bad
  • scjdscjd Member Posts: 5
    My 2002 MDX is experiencing sudden jumps in RPM (100-200) during highway cruising without any additional input from the pedal. Any idea what can be a problem?
  • iron_eagleiron_eagle Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am planning to buy MDX 2004 w/50K mileage form the local dealer (not acura, eg. Toyota). The question is, am I qualified to buy an acura care extended warranty plan after my purchase? If the answer is yes, then, is this warranty will cover my MDX in USA and Canada? Because certified acura vehicles are covered in entire North America........
    Your thought will appreciated.
    Thank you
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I tried to buy an extended warranty from Bernardi for our '04 MDX w/ 55k on it and it was unavailable. Too old or too many miles, I can't remember.
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    Okay, 2 1/2 years later I forgot I posted that question. But I see you posted a fix. I still never fixed the lights , but will try now that you posted the help. Thanks.
  • tkv_01tkv_01 Member Posts: 20
    I had it for 3 three weeks. I took it back to the dealer four times already but it still there. When it hit to the higway speed ( 70 and above) the steering start vibrating and bit shaking too. The dealer did put the new set of tires and did something with the rotors. Do you have any suggestion?
  • cobainscobains Member Posts: 3
    Hello all!

Just bought a base '08 MDX (after eyeing one and constantly thinking about for over a year) a couple of weeks ago and I try to "hypermile" whenever I can.

It seems that when I am coasting to a light, the car seems to have a "dragging" feeling (like brakes are being applied) when I am coasting down to around 40mph. It seems to happen again around 20mph.

Am I just being paranoid or is this normal from the automatic transmission?

Any comfort/advice is appreciated :)
  • brahda808brahda808 Member Posts: 25
    I noticed the samething when I got my 08 Sport/Ent. MDX. Watch the tach when you feel the drag. The vehicle is actually down shifting to a lower gear. I thought that was pretty cool and it actually helps out by saving your brake pads.
  • crowncitycrowncity Member Posts: 7
    I had a smiliar problem but the car was a bit older. The steering wheel would shake significantly when applying the brakes at 55+ mph.

As it turned out, one dealer told me they replaced the rotors. They lied. They resurfaced them. All other dealers went off the assumption the rotors were new.

What happened was the resurfacing was not done properly, which was causing the shaking. The fix: brand new brakes and rotors on the car.

You should contact Acura Client Care (I think it's in your owners manual) and tell them the problem. They will get you in touch with the right people. For me, they even contacted the dealership they felt was the best and made all the arrangements. I got excellent care and the car was finally fixed.
  • 67hat34c67hat34c Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same problem with my 02. Problem showed up after transmission rebuild. Did you ever find answer to your problem?
  • scjdscjd Member Posts: 5
    Unfortunately, yes. Transmission had to be replaced, cost me $1200, but after that the car is running fine. Other people reporting that the problem was caused by one of the 2 control valves - I don't remember which ones. Sorry I can't be of more help
  • jleibowitzjleibowitz Member Posts: 1
    i now have the same problem with my '05 mdx. what did you ever do to get yours working again? Jon
  • 67hat34c67hat34c Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. Let me vent a little.

My transmission has been very good from new up to 117k miles when 3rd gear went. Acura dealer said save money and go to AAMCO so I took it to a local AAMCO dealer who identified internal problem. The took apart and found third gear bad. replaced third gear clutch plates and the piston. Replaced a pressure valve and re assembled with typical rebuild kit and a rebuilt torque converter. Cost me 2700.00. Right away I noted hard shifting etc but opted to hold off since I had to take it back for 10day check up. But within a couple of days i noted the tach jumping 100 rpms and then a loud vibration noise that sounded like going over grate in the road. This showed up when the tack was jumping but only some of the time.
    Well long and the short I took it back to them 6 times and they rebuilt it 2 additional times and replaced the linear solenoids and the torque converter lock up solenoid at additional Charge on other visits, Now up over 3400. They even had me take it to acura to have them put on diagnostic computer and they even paid the bill.
    Acura said a bad valve or the torque converter. On the last rebuilt the AAMCO tech found the torque converter lock up valve was sticking a little so he honed it. Got car back and noted tach still jumping but no sound. But a few days later the sound showed up again but very faint.

AAMCO is trying to tell me it is engine problem eventhough Acura ruled that out.
    I am now going through Credit Card charge dispute process in an attempt to get my money back. Dont believe they should get unlimited attempts to fix the problem that I believe they caused by initial faulty repair.

Anyhow the problem I have occurres like this.

Cold start up, drive for about 10min, house to freeway. Get on I-4 and head to work and the tach starts the jumping within a few min. and the noise is there but faint. It usualy goes away after about 5-10 miles of travel. However since it was cold this AM 65 degrees (cold to me in FL) it lasted the whole trip. Usualy the pulsing goes away after all castings are good and hot and possibly since ambient temp was lower than it has been the problem presisted until I got to work, about a 16 mile drive.
  • madux1madux1 Member Posts: 1
    hi. just want to know if anyone had a chance to replace their side mirror assembly. i hit mine on the garage and ordered a replacement and thought instructions would be included. can anyone how can I replace the housing assembly, driver side. thanks
    I know I'm jinxing myself here but has anyone had to replace the tranny on their '04 MDX? I've read lots of problems with earlier models and so far (57k miles) have not had any issues.
  • progerproger Member Posts: 44
    I have the same model and year and no issues on tranny yet. I have 54k so far.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed. ;)
  • xlr84lifexlr84life Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an 08 Acura MDX and mine is shaking and vibrating at about 65-70mph. The MDX loaner they gave me had NO such vibration. How did your situation turn out tkv_01? I'm really going to dig in and fight on this, I know they're going to try and say it's "normal". But my loaner says otherwise. They allegedly checked the balance on my wheels/tires but who knows? They said they were fine. I'm bummed :mad:
  • srad911srad911 Member Posts: 5
    08 MDX
    Second time fix for audio lights illuminating delay after start up at night.
    First time they replaced radio unit in april 08 and it happened again 1 month after and again 5months later and I finally got it on video from a phone! 2nd repair I go to pic up vehicle and rear passenger floor and seat is saturated with water and moisture. I visually inspected the area to find water in the door panel and grill of the door for speaker but the surface had been all wiped down! Something I do not need right now, I am so p-off and stuck on what to do and what to expect.
    I refused to take the car so they could address the problem and they initially made excuses to what happened.
  • bloomy63bloomy63 Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2007 MDX and have a similar problem. We had it to several dealers, and replacing the tires because of flat spots and after several attempts with "road force balancing" approximately 90% of our vibration problem was solved. But occasionally it is felt at similar speeds 65-75mph.

At what mileage did the vibration begin?

Please post the results and details of your repair.
    My 08 MDX had 31 miles on it when it started shaking. The very first drive on the way home from the dealership. My loaner is butter smooth. The good news is the dealership svc. guy recognizes and acknowledges the problem. I'm vying to get them to exchange my X for one with no such vibration, while it's still new. I'm probably dreaming. I'll have to hope the things you had done help. 90% better is good, but I'm paying 100%. If you know what I mean. I truly appreciate you sharing your experience. :)
    I got a Sport/Ent. Pack. MDX. With the radio volume low or off, I can hear a "creaking" type of noise coming from the driver's window when it is rolled all the way up. I sounds like the window moved down very slightly, thus is a little loose. It is not down enough to let wind in, but it is getting irritating. If I roll the window up, it will move very slightly and the noise will go away for another 20 miles or so and come back. I have taken it into the dealership 3 times now and they still can't find the problem. Any suggestions?
    I'm not sure what could be causing that? I had a rattle in my steering wheel along with the road vibration at hwy speeds. The rattle turned out to be some loose airbag housing, now the whole airbag assembly has to be replaced. I'm pretty stunned at the slippage in quality that Acura is apparently undergoing. Let us know what your window problem turns out to be. I've read other posts of people with sounds coming from their B pillar as well. :confuse:
  • sandiegomdxsandiegomdx Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2004 mdx in August. I took it in to have a service (oil/filter-overall trip check) and told the mechanic that I am getting horrible gas mileage (11-13 mpg) he suggested a fuel flush and additive. I have had the car back 2x now for a warning light indicator (malfunction indicator) it was not on before I had the car brought in and it does go off when I pick up the car at the mechanics shop-comes back on 1/2 into driving again. Does anyone have any input into this problem. The car seems to be driving fine. But the owners manual says it can be serious or can be nothing (very helpful)
    The third time I got the vehicle back, Acura replaced a black plastic trim molding on the outside of the the b-pillar. They stated it was "bowing" outward and when they pressed on it, it made a "squeaking" type of noise. But that didn't seem to solve the problem. Acura Quality Assurance Dept. called yesterday and inquired on the repair. I told them the problem still exists, so someone will call me on Monday to schedule another appointment to bring the vehicle in, again. I'll let you know the outcome.
    It sounds like a sensor problem. Whatever they used to flush your fuel system must have wiped out a/few sensors in the emissions system. The shop should be able to diagnosis this problem accurately with a diagnosis machine. The connect it to your port and in a few seconds get a reading. Is "the shop" an Acura Service/Repair Shop? If not, try taking it to one. They might not catch the error code if the emission light is not displayed when you take the vehicle in.
  • skoobahead1skoobahead1 Member Posts: 30
    If you had a "ck eng" light then a code was stored in the computer. What did the mechanic say the code was? Is he just erasing it and sending you on your way? You need to find out the code and proceed from there
    Don't waste your money again on fuel system flushes. Just a cash cow for service departments. If you actually had a dirty injector a flush wouldn't clean it out anyway. You need high super high pressure.If the code faults an injector you'll need to replace it. Retrieve code and start from square 1.
  • mdxrrrrrmdxrrrrr Member Posts: 42
    xlr84, I saw someone make a comment on another thread that there have been some problems of flat spots forming on tires from cars that have sat too long on lots without being moved. If you think this may be the case, I would take it to a good tire store and have them inspect it. I don't think the dealer would be as quick to point this out, since they may some issues as to who is going to ultimately have to pay for it. The tire mfg. would blame the dealer, the dealer would try to push it on the tire mfg. or the factory. But if it is flat spots on the tire from sitting, it should not be your responsibility to fix it, esp. if it is a new car. Good Luck
  • fwchadfwchad Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: Well, I hope that you have better luck with Acura. My local dealer in Fort Wayne has tried on 6 separate visits replacing every component in the rear suspension (shocks, sway bar, springs, etc.) and have tried the "lube it" fix suggested by Acura. Each time it will go away for a few days to a few weeks and then come back. I just picked my 2007 MDX Sport/Ent up again tonite and was told that Acura Tech Support feels it is due to the fluid in the variable shocks for the sport package (rather than the gas filled shocks in the lesser models) and that it is something I have to live with. Acura won't authorize any more repairs/warranty work for this according to my service manager. And, yes, others in this discussion have pointed out that the sound is worse with extra load (passengers, dog food, etc.) and for me is worst over the curb on my driveway or when turning right (it's the left rear that makes the "scrunch" noise.) Again, Good Luck. I'm not very happy and considering the competiton for my next vehicle.
  • mickeynismickeynis Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 MDX has the same problem. (Purchased 10/18/2008) I began my quest two weeks ago with only 250 miles on the vehicle. Continuous letters and conversation has triggered an response from the dealer I purchased the vehicle from. I was told that two service bulletins are forth coming. One with-in a month and another shortly after. I have a very low confidence level that this will occur although once I went formal with my communication the lines began to open. All owners with this problem need to push in this manner. The more voices that are heard the better. Acura Client Services was little help although with-in two days of filing a Better Business Bureau claim the case manager from Acura called me back indicating he had received the BBB request and had a completely different tone to his response. I will try to keep this link updated. This is not a single vehicle issue, the 2008 MDX loaner i received during my first service request had the same "exact" clunking, thumping, knocking noise from the rear.
  • mtrealdudemtrealdude Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

I just wonder if I can have a routine engine oil/transmission fluid service on my MDX at a honda dealership. The nearest Acura dealership is 130 miles away, but I have a honda dealership near by. If I have the maintainence done at a honda dealerhsip, will this negatively impact the standard 4-year waranty? Thank you very much for your answer.

TQ
  • timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    I wouldn't think that there would be any problem having service done at a Honda dealership as long as you keep your receipts. You may know that Acura requires their brand of transmission fluid which is available at Honda dealers. Don't use standard ATF as it may void your warranty.

Page 35 of your warranty manual specifies that you don't have to have your vehicle serviced at an Acura dealer.
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    I have had both my MDX and my RL serviced at a Honda dealerships for the same reason. Have had warranty work on the RL no problems incurred because of the service at a Honda dealership. Agree on the transmission fluid only use Honda that also applies to using only Honda brake fluid.
  • iwantatliwantatl Member Posts: 25
    same problem, acura couldn't diagnose, 2 fix's ---- spray liquid wrench silicone spray in the window channel , raise the window, when you get sick of doing that, take about 2 feet of glad wrap, roll it into a tube around a 1/4 inch thick, put it in the window channel, shut the window, creak all gone, just dont open the window , 45K for a car what would you expect.
    :mad:
  • iwantatliwantatl Member Posts: 25
    same deal they replaced the window motor in mine, stopped the window from dropping but still squeaks, try the silicon spray, best bet is put the glad wrap in the window channel :lemon:
    Okay, just got my MDX back from the dealership. They replaced the entire window assembly that is in the door. They stated there is nothing else to change to make the squeek go away. So far, so good. I haven't heard the window squeek, but I haven't really taken a long drive and I haven't driven on any "bumpy" roads yet. I'll let you guys know if this works in a few more miles!