Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dwfdwf Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 05 MDX thinking I made a good purchase... boy, am I disappointed.
    You would think for a $43K car you wouldn't get all these noises coming from: 1. windows rattles (both rear windows and driver side window)when you are rolled down about 2 inches, 2. Squeaking noise coming from the grove box and 3. Rear sub-woofer cowling vibrates when you have it turned up with any bass. Anyone have these types of noise? I only have put about 500 miles on it when they started up and know if I bring back to the Dealership that I wasn't too happy with to begin with, they may not be able to duplicate the noises. I was going to wait until my first service was due before bring it in. Have anyone experience these issues and can give some insight? TIA--- :cry:
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Just Acura's in general have thin paint. Nissan's are the same way, maybe worse. The old Integra's were bad. One friend had his roof stripped bare of paint (literally, barely any primer showing) after only 6 years of service so he repainted the entire car. I know the automakers changed the paint formulation due to environmental regulations, but still, it's horrible. The only thing I know to do to help prevent it is to wax the cars religiously.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Never heard of this before. Does the new MDX use drive by wire? If so, there there is no real mechanical connection to the gas pedal and the throttle in the engine...then it is just the computer providing the feel/feedback through the pedal.

If there is a cable connecting it into the engine bay, maybe it is stuck on something or rubbing?
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    I just got home from vacation for 2 weeks and my 02 MDX had some rust on the rotors from sitting. So I figured, I will drive it a few miles and the rust will come off. I now have a shuddering in the brakes when slowing down from 30mph to a stop. The dealer says it is a spot on the rotor from sitting and the rotors have to be turned to fix it. Does this sound legit to anyone? ALSO, the car would not start...it took over 5 minutes to start it. Dealer said, everything is fine, just the gas line must have drained. I was glad my car was left at home and not at the airport. This is not a very comforting occurrence. All feedback appreciated.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Does the new MDX use drive by wire?

Yes the MDX uses Drive-by-wire throttle.
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    Had a new aspen pearl white - after two weeks the paint actually changed colors on various panels right before my eyes-honestly! I noticed no difference until days down the road - differences in the doors, bumpers, yellowish-white. Definitely not the way a "luxury" vehicle should look. I noticed other pearl white MDX's had the same problem and a few did not. In comparison- Lexus, Toyotas, Mitsubishis, Cadillacs, and others had perfect pearl white paint jobs as well as the Acura TL's. Why such poor quality (preparation?) on the Acura MDX??? Anyway, they took mine back and I got a different color!! Was shocked at how Acura worked so well with me on this problem- I was impressed with this customer servivce although very unimpressed with the lack of quality control with the pearl white MDX! At other dealers (after the fact) the sales people told me that they "were supposed to look that way" - which I know now to be nothing but B.S.!!
  • qrtlowqrtlow Member Posts: 13
    Hmm...

All the fodder I've seen thrown out here scares me. I called my favorite Acura dealership which I've done extended warranty work with my 1997 TL, and they point out huge diff's in the factory 3yr/50K vs the 7yr/100K optional for the MDX.

In 2000, my TL had an A/C issue where I would turn it on and it wouldn't go on until I hit a right turn at 1G. They replaced the entire computer along with extra "needed" accessories and billed the "Acura" insurance company $1100. Six Months later, the shifter wouldn't move out of park, That was $950... 2 months later my brakes slipped..they replace the entire Antilock module...$1200,.

The great thing of it all was after they inducted it in service, the service manager would hand me keys to a brand new loaner in 5 minuites of each visit. No argument, rental option, or coutesy vehicle to get me back to work.

I'm scared with the potential of the MDX. They tell me, if we both agree, ie. the window rattles, the stereo crackles, the blue LED's fade,....Whatever,.. I get a loaner, and a fixed car back.
    I know factory warranties get sent to Honda for validation and approval...hit or miss, they often get denied as we see. They want $2500 for the "unlimited" 7yr/100K? It's supposed to be undisputible at the service desk. Is that not good?Correct?........ Feedback Please

If you can help, tell me if there is a 3rd party warranty that is as-good of an alternative.

Qrtlow
  • cjb2cjb2 Member Posts: 1
    my rear vents just stopped working at 52K miles....the dealer wants $90 to diagnose the problem. the light in the control panel for the rear vents still light sup, but the airflow has just stopped. does anyone have a suggestion or experience a similar problem and/or how to fix it? i wonder if it could be a fuse? thanks
    fuses are easy to check. Have you tried rear a/c manual vs. auto? I would suggest lots of other checks that you can do yourself before paying a dealer for diagnosis.
  • mdxownermdxowner Member Posts: 2
    I am having all the same problems.... Noises did not show up till > 500 miles, maybe because I had the radio up too high the first few days.

Here is my list:

Overhead DVD unit rattle (I fixed this by bending the metal clips that hold the plastic housing up)
    Drivers door (is coming from the molding) spray with silicon and it will go away for a week. (Dealer is going to replace molding in two weeks)
    Sunroof same noise and fix (dealer says they have fix using graphite tape)
    Water on the inside of windows after carwash or heavy rain. Rolling down the windows and rolling back up produces the water on the inside.

Very disappointed in my 40K car!
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    at 48k my idle started running a little too low -- as though the compressor became a heavier load. I was on vacation in california and the dealer did a quick look and thought it was fine -- but perhaps get the engine mounts checked after i returned from vacation. At 50,400 i brought it to Acura and they replaced the engine mounts -- but it still idled low -- and their answer was "no engine light on, no problem". 10 miles later, on the way to Disneyland, with five girls in the car, the compressor blew. $1500 for repair and they say, "it's over the 50k and we can't cover it". This is crazy and signals the end of my driving days for this vehicle... i will check out the Subaru Tribeca.
    I'm scared with the potential of the MDX....They want $2500 for the "unlimited" 7yr/100K? It's supposed to be undisputible at the service desk. Is that not good?Correct?........ Feedback Please

The OEM AcuraCare Warranty is good at any Acura dealership nationwide. IF you want an extended warranty to use at Acura dealerships then I'd recommend the OEM AcuraCare. Ray Laks Acura dealership (google search hondacuraworld.com) in Buffalo, NY sells the zero deductible 7 yr / 100K mile warranty for $1660.
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone ever have a problem of their drivers seat seam(in the leather cushion area in the mid seat) causing slight discomfort in their butt? I notice the seam catching me right in the rear....can't seem to find the ideal comfort spot to sit!
  • rmkatzrmkatz Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 Acura MDX with a Bose radio system. The AM and FM reception is awful. Does anyone have any suggesions on improving the reception?
  • qrtlowqrtlow Member Posts: 13
    I learned that extended warranties are negogiable and it all happens at the Finance manager's office. One warranty is from Acura, The second option is from "in house 3rd party" but all the same perks. You can go back and re-negoiate after you've owned your MDX, for a 7/100 for around $1400.

Just let them know you''ve been shoping (and you will continue to do so) and they will drop their pants.
    I have a 2002 and the reception is fine. Perhaps you have a short/cut wire between the radio and roof antenna in the back?
  • eticketrideeticketride Member Posts: 53
    I didn't know that you could buy an extended warranty after you have purchased your vehicle. How long do you have? Can you buy it a few years later or even after the original warranty?? Thanks
    I didn't know that you could buy an extended warranty after you have purchased your vehicle. How long do you have? Can you buy it a few years later or even after the original warranty??

At one dealership I taked to I can get an MDX warranty all the way up to 54 months / 54K miles of ownership. Of course the longer you wait the more it costs. There are surcharges at 2 yr/24K; 3 yr/36K; 4 yr/ 48K; and 5.5 yrs/ 54K. :shades:
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I have a 2004 MDX model, about 8 months old and 7000 miles, and I have sporatic problems with the air conditioning not cooling. I live in Houston and you need a good AC in August. Is anyone else noticing this?

Thoughts are appreicated. I'm taking it in this Friday.
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I was at a park with a few friends, and opened the back of the vehicle and turned up the radio. The back speaker sounded like crap. Is it some kind of sub woofer? I was expecting music, but only got noise. Funny, how I don't notice it while driving.

Any thoughts on this?
    It is a subwoofer in the cargo area.
  • redbarettaredbaretta Member Posts: 22
    Hey DVDMAN - the dealership replaced most of the parts in the door that have anything to do with the window. I had to force Acura with breach of warranty accusations before they "allowed" the dealership to swap out all these parts. However, after another couple of weeks the noises started again and kept getting worse.

But I found a solution for my problem. I took a q-tip, wet it with WD40 and lubed-up the top, left and right grooves the window sits in when closed. Voila. Noise cut by 90%. Now livable. Been almost 2 months and I havent had to reapply yet but when I do I wont care as it takes 30 secs to complete the procedure and costs essentially nothing.

Hope that helps.
  • pro122pro122 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Acura MDX and also have about 550 miles on it. I noticed the same ratlling in the right rear window when it is down about 2 to 4 inches. Dealer is going to fix it. However I am a bit dissappointed that 40K car can have such issues :(

I also have one other issue -whenever I am backing up or slowly moving forward and apply brakes I hear a feeble thud at the back. Does anybody have similar experience? is it something i can ignore?
  • fun6889fun6889 Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone have issue w/ the Navigation in delay response? What I mean is when you come up to an intersection and you are already at the intersection, but the Nav still show you have some distances before you get to the intersection. This not only happen on some area, it seems anywhere I go to, there always a delay on showing my current location/position and it had cause me a lot of missed exit...
    Also the red "pointer" inside the cycle is not in the center anymore. Is this normal?
    I only have the X not even 2 months, and if it is something normal or simple to fix, I rather do that then drive to the dealer and give me BS. Many thanks....
  • n_bhasn_bhas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 MDX with 20000 miles - i have steering wheel vibration between 75-80 mph that comes and goes. This started happening after my first service at 8000 miles - i have taken the MDX back to dealer 3 times , he rebalanced - rotated tires but still did not go. I changed the dealer for 15000 mile service , it got a little better but still there is vibration around 75 -80.

Does anyone who had this problem got it corrected and what was the remedy ? Please email or post

Thanks
    Bhas
  • mikerxlawmikerxlaw Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with an old Acura Legend. I lived with it for 30,000 miles, complaining to the dealership numerous times, until someone pointed out to me (when I was getting new tires) that my rim was slightly out of round. Said I probably hit a pot-hole. I purchased a new rim and the problem was solved. Not sure if you have the same issue, but you probably want to rule it out. In the four or five times the dealer examined the car and rebalanced the tires, they never spotted the damaged rim.
  • genyagenya Member Posts: 7
    I am considering a purchase of a 2003 MDX (navi +ras) with 59K miles on it. Is that a smart thing to do? Anything that I should pay special attention to when inspecting the car? Does Acura provide pre-purchase evaluation or something along those lines that I can rely on? Also, my 96 TL required 60K miles service, it was about $1200. Should I be prepared for something comparable for MDX?

According to Acura records the car I am considering had breaks and the batery replaced at this point...

Any tips would be highly appreciated.
  • bitbangerbitbanger Member Posts: 1
    I lost the rear AC/environmental controls in my '02 MDX back in June having just passed 50K miles while drving in 95 degree weather in NC. The dealer was kind enough to honor the warranty and replaced a transistor in the rear controls. I hope this helps.
  • sbreechsbreech Member Posts: 1
    My new MDX has the prblem at 750miles. Dealer found a slipped belt in the Michlen tire on the front. I hope the new front tire stops the problem.

Anyone have a wind noise at driver side exterior mirror?
    Early models (especially '01 and '02) had some transmission problems. I'd ask about a transmission check and inquire about the drivetrain (transmission) warranty. Good luck.
  • cl206cl206 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, i know from the manual where the 4 corner jacking points are but on the 2004 MDX,
    where exactly is the front center jacking point? i wanna be able to raise the front end of the car using a hyrdaulic jack and then putting jack stands underneath. Thanks!

Oh while im at it, does someone also know where the jacking points are on the 2000 accords? its really frustrating b/c the manuals doesnt state the main jacking points and i dont recall seeing clear signs underneath the vehicle.
  • mdx_njmdx_nj Member Posts: 7
    My 2005 MDX also has the same problem ( thud sound from the back after applying brakes when moving slowly ) may be from day one, Did you visit the delear for this what is theinresponse. I still need to take my x to the delear. Does anyone else have the same problem please advise
  • pinsakceopinsakceo Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 MDX has had two new radios. The first time was replaced when the clock was slow, then the electrical short circuited, causing the radio to go out and then almost immediately after, the nav. system to go out. Acura replaced. The second radio they put it, too, ran slowly. Upon making my appointment to have it replaced AGAIN for running slowly(about 10 minutes in two months), the service manager said that Tech Center says 5 min/month falls within an "acceptable" variance on the actual time. Really! Couldn't believe my ears. Why even have a clock in a 40K car? My 6K 1980 Dodge Colt never had an issue with the radio!!! Sure, the car has had other small issues, but this is the one that makes me want to throw it back. :mad: Anyone else have or had these issues? Any suggestions. I've already insisted they look at the electrical, but they insist its in the clock/ radio.
  • docsvdocsv Member Posts: 1
    we own a 2001 MDX...same fluttering noice/sensation just as you described...my dealership has not shown initiative to figure it out....what have you learned? thanks, docsv
  • jwc0828jwc0828 Member Posts: 1
    I have very similar problem in my MDX 05' as you described, thud (heavy clicking) noise from left rear when I step on the break pedal. Specially, when I try to slow
    down to stop or to park. I also hear this noise when I turn wheels while parking. This problem started when it got 2K miles on (not 20K). When I schedule an appointment last week to take care of this problem with my dealer, the guy seems familiar with this problem. Have you taken your MDX to you dealer yet? Please keep me posted.
  • jcjday1jcjday1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2004 that does the same thing. The dealer service manager claims the noise if from defective brake calipers. He claims there was not a recall but the calipers will be replaced for free.. Even after warrenty.
    I have an '02. Our clock falls behind. Not sure how much, but I notice it when I tune in to traffic on road trips...Traffic on the 8's becomes Traffic on the 4's or 5's.

Forget the 40K car rational...I can't believe a 0.10 car would have a clock that falls behind. My kids dora the explorer watch keeps better time. It doesn't really bother me though, but digital clocks were perfected a number of years ago.
  • dockirschdockirsch Member Posts: 5
    Acura is lying, they had heard about and were sued over it. They even released a technical note to the dealerships. The solitare "thud" noise is comming from "play" in one the brake/wheel assemblies. It can be temporarily silenced by inserting a thin card under the brake pad. The noise will return when the space wears out.
    You are not crazy. Acura even released a technical note to the dealerships. The solitare "thud" noise is comming from "play" in one the brake/wheel assemblies. It can be temporarily silenced by inserting a thin card under the brake pad. The noise will return when the space wears out.
    After having the dealership replace both pillars, I wrapped some adhesive backed felt around the backside of the buckle. It's thin enough to allow the belt to travel and soft enough to prevent the nicks from reoccuring. Doesn't look bad either.
  • rvpellervpelle Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 MDX at only 900 miles on several occasions will not start. Just turns over quickly. Then engine light comes on. It is an intermittent problem. Dealer
    can't find anything wrong. Never fails when he has it. Anyone have any ideas??
  • phsteddiephsteddie Member Posts: 1
    Our '04 Tl is in the shop now for the 2nd time for windnoise from the sunroof. This occurs on a moderate to strong crosswind, or at 80mph with a slight wind. We were using it as speed limiter on one recent trip. On a trip to a very windy Death Valley we couldn't even hear the stereo due to the howling sunroof.
    The first time the dealer lubricated the seal and added some tape. This worked until we opened and closed the sunroof the first time. This fix also didn't hold up in the, above mentioned, Death Valley trip. I got a call yesterday saying that they drove the vehicle at 80 and didn't get any noise. Grrrrr! We have 34k mi. on the vehicle and purchased it used, in March with 22k mi., from a Land Rover dealer. ( not sure why anyone would trade a Honda, any Honda, for Land Rover) The vehicle was flawless and has all the options and accessories. Other than this noise the car is great. Oh, we also had the poor grounding of the steeringwheel volume/chanel/mode controls. This was repaired the first time by the dealer about 3 months ago and came back agian. Yesterdays call stated that the grounding was poor. I'll visit the dealer today and see what other story I get.
  • darindadarinda Member Posts: 3
    we have the same problem. Fluttering more at lower speed during gear shift. took it to the dealer , felt something. Thinks that the problem relates to torque distruibutor. It will be replaced next wk. I will let u know how it worked.
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    Keep taking it back to them. My 02 mdx will not start after sitting for several days. I left it for 2 weeks and it took 5 minutes to get it started. I had to crank for more than 20 seconds straight. I took it to service....of course the problem could not be duplicated. So I just went away again but for only 6 days, and now, same problem. I called acura and asked them to please advise me. They said that the amount of time to crank the vehicle can be as long as 10 seconds. (Which is a bunch of crap). Keep taking it back to them, make them give you a loaner for a week and tell them if they can;t fix it, you will get a lemonlaw lawyer. Be nice at first, but don't be afraid to growl. Keep taking it back every time it does this. If it happens enough before 12k miles, it's a lemon. Good luck. I wish I knew what was wrong with it.
  • ccunninghamccunningham Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know if you can haul a sheet of plywood with the seats folded down

How far would it stick out beyond the back of the vehicle
    Did you try replacing the battery. Maybe you got a bad or old one, I think the dealer installs them onsite, they could have put one in from the bad pile? Even a battery with charge and that will hold charge can cause major issues. When my battery went on my other car, it started fine, but would stall, run funny and just not be its normal self? I thought...it can't be the battery, it starts fine.

I replaced the battery and it was fixed immediately. My truck was 4 years old though...just about the time when a battery goes.

Even try swapping one from your other or friend's car...that would be a cheap test.
  • rvpellervpelle Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info.....the dealer had the vehicle for a couple of days and could not
    duplicate problem. However did find some error codes in the main?? computer.
    They replaced computer. I have had the vehicle back a couple of days and is ok
    so far. Dealer was good... picked it up 55 miles away and offered a loaner while they had it. Hopefully its fixed.
    I have carried 4X8 sheet rock before. It will stick out about a foot or so. I simply tied down the hatch and drove home. One caveat; it will NOT sit on the floor board, but up a bit where the hatch is at it widest point - bring towels, etc.
  • herkdriver55herkdriver55 Member Posts: 1
    Jatpat
    I have the same exact problem. After 9000 miles, it has not gone away or gotten any worst. I had the dealer service dept look at it during the 7500 mile service, but they could not figure it out. I'll have them look at it again at 15000. Let me know if your dealer comes up with a solution.
    Thanks

OBTW: My MDX has all the typical problems as many of the others... sloshing gas noise, clunking brake pads, slight vibration at high speeds, & roof rack wind noise.
  • shopper8shopper8 Member Posts: 21
    Just bought an MDX. Doing mostly country/hwy driving -45-55mph, stop light every 5miles or so. First tank we got around 15 miles per gallon, working on second tank and are up to around 17 mpg. what is the deal here? MPG is as bad, maybe worse, than the explorer i just traded in. Far cry from 17-23 rating. does this get any better? should someone serve time for fraudulent advertising?