Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• whyaskwhy1whyaskwhy1 Member Posts: 7
    My 2005 MDX touring w/ Nav was badly damaged recently, including a broken windshield, when my neighbor's tree fell on it. My car insurance company, Geico, gave me an estimate for repairing the car. It quoted the cost of "quality replacement part" for the windshield. I was told by a friend that since my car is only a few months old, Geico should pay for OME parts for all repairs. Could anyone clarify for me the rules on this (i.e., OME exclusively vs. QRP for the repair of a brand new car)?

Also, the original windshield has rain sensing capability, but the quote from geico indicated the QRP is a windshield w/o rain sensor. Is it possible they can use the original rain sensor on the replacement windshield? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • t8kteezet8kteeze Member Posts: 1
    The problem lies within the shift lever on the console. Apparently some PIN is not locking or unlocking into place all the time. My sis had the problem with her 2005 MDX and the service guys rolled their eyes a lil. However, when they looked at the shift lever they notice the fault. It is not with the ignition entry area but with the shift lever when you put it into park. The service guys at Acura of Boston fixed it
  • davefromnjdavefromnj Member Posts: 10
    I've had my 05 MDX for about 8 months and could not be happier with it. However, one thing annoys me about the MDX is the liftgate height. I'm 6 foot tall and probably smacked my head on the liftgate about a dozen times. Is there a workaround for this? Maybe the dealer can install longer control arms?
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    Try GlassMax....they replaced my back glass at my house, for hundreds less than the dealer and it was good work...looks good as new.
  • brians01mdxbrians01mdx Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem and was told that the main dashboard panel has to be removed to get to the light bulbs in the back of the A/C control unit. I started the job, but it seems rather involved. They could have made it easier to get to them, although I had good success replacing bulbs on the drivers side. I guess it's time to check out the shop manual. Good luck.
  • hebegeebeehebegeebee Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of replacing my Explorer with an MDX. I use it for fishing on the beach. In the past the Explorer has had no trouble driving on the beach (it has 8" ground clearance) the MDX also has 8" clearance but the exhaust system is at the 8" level leaving it very suseptible to damage from rocks etc. Has anyone used this vehicle on the beach? If so please describe the experience. I like the MDX but must consider the realities of my requirements. Thanks for your response.
  • theemperortheemperor Member Posts: 1
    had a similar problem in a 2002 mdx. they replaced the front engine mount and the problem stopped.
  • r10r10 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 04 MDX and on three occasions, the transmission has got stuck in reverse with the lever in D. Of course the dealer could not find anything wrong with the car. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • mnsheamnshea Member Posts: 11
    I'm thinking very seriously of buying a 2006 MDX. However, one of my concerns is what I'm reading here on gas mileage. Although many say they are disappointed with mileage, I would appreciate hearing what kind of mileage you are actually getting compared to what the sticker says.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Take a look at the Acura MDX Owners: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • brians01mdxbrians01mdx Member Posts: 4
    Yes! I found out that replacement is relatively easy for all of the bulbs (5) behind the wood grain panel that surrounds the nav/display unit. The panel is clipped to the dash and can be CAREFULLY pried out. The bulb you referred to can be found at

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=MDX- &catcgry2=2001&catcgry3=5DR+MDX&catcgry5=AUTO%2BAIR%2BCONDITIONER%2BCONTROL&List- All=All&vinsrch=no

illustration no. 5. I've had to replace a lot of the bulbs in the dash. This vendor has good diagrams and good prices. Good luck!
  • evanmevanm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 MDX with the factory MDX rubber all-season floor mats.
    Problem: coverage seems inadequate. when you have your foot on the gas pedal, your heel leaves debris. the rubber insert in the carpet for your left foot is also exposed and gets quite filthy. any suggestions???
  • mdx4mdx4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 MDX,I got into an accident a few weeks a go.It was fixed very badly by a local body shop.If anyone out there has a digital camera and is willing to e-mail me a picture of the gas cap area as well as the fuel door when it is closed.I have an appointment with the owner of the bodyshop in the morning.I would like to show him what it should look like inside the fuel door.
    Thank you, Marty
  • pny4uthtspny4uthts Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously looking to purchase a 2006 MDX Touring and I see great reviews at the various consumer sites, but consumer reports gives it a con for the emergency handling and braking distances. Do any of you owners out there have experiences to share along these lines?
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I do a lot of time on Nantucket. I use my Isuzu there. I see the MDX out on the beach, but not in any of the off the beaten path areas. I have seen several in action though...I think there are a few things regarding the MDX in sand. First the lower profile tires look like they are on the rims when I see people driving at 15 psi. Second, the MDX 4wd system is good enough for regular sand, but I would worry about it overheating in really deep stuff. I am not sure the MDX could handle chugging along in 4wd low for 45 minutes through thick sand.

So if you are going to regular sand spots where CRV's, Lexus 300's and other AWD vehicles go, I am sure you will be OK...or spots where you don't need to airdown. If you are fishing in remote rough terrain, I don't think the MDX is the right vehicle...although I am not sure I would take an explorer there either :-)
  • c1238c1238 Member Posts: 2
    I have a problem regarding my 2005 MDX around 15,200 miles with Navigation System and DVD Player. I was very happy with it until there was a problem.
    The problem was: at least four times, in the past two month’s period, I could not start my car after a short period of waiting time, approximately 35 minutes, with the radio on but engine off. The sub-woofer and DVD player were also off. It needed a quick contact jump in order to be able to start again. I have been driving this MDX in the same manner as it used to be and it never happened like this before even with the sub-woofer and DVD player both on with the engine off. I brought the car back to the dealer and I was told that nothing was wrong. They told me that I can not listen to the radio while I am in a waiting period with the engine off. I can not believe that I paid more than $45,000 and I have to pay the cost of the gas each time I listen to the radio inside the car. According to the dealer, I can not do anything about this but run the car when I want to listen to the radio.:mad: I am just curious if anyone have had a similar problem. Thank you in advance for helping me to solve this problem.
  • progerproger Member Posts: 44
    I had similar problem. While waiting in the garage and listening to music w/o engine running for approx. 15 music, it suddenly stopped. Tried to start engine but there was no contact, just sudden flashing lights w/o even a sound. Waited for 2 hours and it started again. A week after, I tried again and it happen again. Complained to the dealer but did'nt find anything wrong. This time after a month or so at the parking lot while waiting for a friend, turned on the music, and after 15 min it died on me. Luckily my friend had that starter kit to start it. This time I went to my Dealer and complained about it. And explained the scenario. They said there was nothing wrong but, since it still under warranty, they changed the battery with a new one. I haven't experienced dying on me as of yet. Hopefully it is the battery.
  • c1238c1238 Member Posts: 2
    You were luck that your dealer agreed to replace the battery for you! By the way, how long you own the car? I brought my car back to dealer three times for the same problem. They used the battery test equipment and found out my battery which was in good condition. The last time I dropped by the dealer 20 minutes before the appointment and listened the radio with the engine off, test the battery after 20 minutes. The battery test computer came out with: Battery Good but not fully charged. They told me that better leave the car for a low amp long jump and see what will be happened. I decided to run over hundred miles on highway and backed to the dealer for another test. The test printout which indicated my 550ccamp battery was charged to 576ccamp which meant not only fully charged but 26ccamp more than the battery 550ccamp indicated. Nothing wrong :confuse: I asked why the problem did not happen until two months ago. (Car is only one year old) They told me that the brand-new battery was in top efficiency, the efficiency will be lower and lower by the time pass. They also told me that they can not replace the battery even the car is still under warranty. According the test printout, they can not have the battery defective code to report to the Acura. I asked if I paid the battery cost my self can this problem be solved. They told me that it will come back again when the time pass by. I had talked to the Acura and I got the similar answer without any help. I have either to carry an emergency portable power jump starter whenever I drive the car or not to listen the radio with the engine off. I don’t want to replace the battery every year just for listen to the radio. I think I have to listen the portable radio instead the nice Bose subwoofer system which designed by Acura! :mad:
  • enayatkenayatk Member Posts: 1
    I bought my MDX 2002 and in my first winter experience on the road, I almost crashed to the front car when my ABS did not work at all.
    Dealer tested the car several times and they say there is nothing wrong with the ABS system, but not to me since I have two other cars from different brand. Abs system is designed to work and stop the car under sudden stop to avoid the accident but when it starts raining and in my experience more than three times I survived a very bad accident since the ABS did not work properly, break makes a rattling sound under my foot and not much power to stop the car with confidence.
    several times I brought this issue to the dealer and each time they say they can't find any problem with it and it similar to the other MDX to them
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Dude: sounds like you need to slow down in the rain.

Maybe you wouldn't have to test your BRAKES so often.

Good luck.

TB
    My MDX is 2004 and still under warranty. As of this date, I haven't experienced dying on me. I try to avoid turning on my radio or other accesories while the engine is off. I begin to be paranoid. I will perhaps do it again in the future, but, I make sure I have a battery booster on the side, just in case.
  • popejohnpopejohn Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2003 MDX with about 34K miles. I hooked up one of those DC tire inflators into the lighter jack, turned off the radio and the lights, and started putting air in the tires with the engine off. Battery went completely dead after two tires. (Reset the radio!) I jumped it from my wife's car and haven't had trouble since, but that doesn't seem right. Lesson learned - leave the engine running!
  • shopper8shopper8 Member Posts: 21
    6 month old MDX (10k mi) and right running board popped off under normal driving conditions. Normally I would assume board was installed incorrectly since it only needs to support weight of two children under 6 years old, but i was shocked when i looked at board and it appeared that bolts had popped through the channel on underside used to hold board to bolt. we have not hit anything such as a curb. has anyone had this odd experience? struck me as very cheap material. i wonder what can i expect in another 50k miles ?
  • inemerinemer Member Posts: 44
    We have '04 MDX with NAVY, no DVD. One morning my wife can't start car. Nada. Called AAA and towed car to the near Acura (2 ml) - they check and found battery is dead... Replaced by warranty - no question ask. 18 month old car need new battery? :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    a battery should remain optimum for 3-4 years.
  • alee1078alee1078 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the 2006 touring package MDX and when i drive i always feel the heat by my foot and it's kind of annoying. I tried turning on the circulation button but all it gets is hotter and when it's off there is still heat. Does anyone know the solution to this problem?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Are there any adjustable vents near the floor?

tidester, host
  • spofford2spofford2 Member Posts: 1
    Is the MDX quieter than the Pilot, also compared to a 2006 Acura TL?
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Dealers often swap batteries around the lot for test drives...or so I have seen when I wanted to test drive a car with a dead battery and they pulled it from another on the lot. I doubt you got a brand new battery, that is probably why it died.
  • balancesheetbalancesheet Member Posts: 25
    2 days after delivery, I noticed a high pitch, whistling noise coming from the driver side of the vehicle. I immediately took the car back to the dealership but was told the noise was coming from the “fuel pump” and there is no fix. They could replace the fuel pump but if no problem is found with the old pump, they would charge me for the replacement. So I got scare and decided to wait and see what happens. Anyway, since then, the noise has intensified. I checked online and it appears to be a fairly common issue but If it is a common, how come not every MDX has it?
  • sailor1sailor1 Member Posts: 8
    I also have noticed this fairly loud and constant thud. It seems to happen when braking, and I even get the noise when pulling forward. Relatives going for a ride in our "new car" ask about it. Service Tech said its normal. Yeah, right. I can't imagine manufacturer designing in a noisy braking system. I never had this problem with my Tahoe... and I never had any problem with my Tahoe.

What gives? :mad:
    Has anyone experienced steering wheels shaking as brake is applied at around 55 mph? I have a 2004 mdx and this is the second time it happened to me. A year back when it happened, they changed the brake pads and turned the rotors. It worked just fine. This time, about two days ago while on a long trip and raining, it did the same thing again, and complained to the dealer. This time they changed the rotors, but I have to pay for the pads. I brake normally as I did in my other cars and I did'nt experienced something like that. Has anybody experienced the same problem?
  • jaymojaymo Member Posts: 10
    We've only had our new 2006 MDX w/ nav for 1 months now, and yesterday the onscreen buttons kept pressing themselves, first changing the air venting (from flowing at face and feet to just face), and then it decided to pull up the calculator and type in a bunch of numbers! This happened several times in a row. It almost seemed like the sunshine coming through the sunroof may have affected the screen as when I waved my hand in front of the screen (causing shade), more buttons appeared to get pressed. Anyone ever heard of such a strange problem? I'm guessing I need to get it back to the dealer but I wonder what would cause this or if this is "normal" behavior, which I would doubt?

Thanks for any input!
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    Better call acura busters.It's haunted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jaymojaymo Member Posts: 10
    :P

My husband's joke was that the car was trying to do the math to double check the gas mileage it reports on the trip computer. I called the dealer and will be taking it in in a week or so when another part comes in for another problem (SRS indicator light). Kind of disappointing to be in the shop so much in the first month of owning a new car!
  • redsockredsock Member Posts: 1
    the same thing happened to me, but it was more mysterious, my car was parked in front of my house and the rear window broke. Very expensive to fix.
  • buddynmaribuddynmari Member Posts: 1
    Happened to my TL some years back. Apparently I parked it under the sun in such a way that the screen was exposed directly for some time. The touch screen is heat sensitive/touch sensitive so it interpreted the heat signature as fingers touching triggering all sorts of commands.
  • jpdegjpdeg Member Posts: 7
    Just picked up my 06 MDX on Saturday. Later, rolled down the passenger side rear window, a few inches and it rattles. When the salesman called Monday AM to ask how it was I told him about the rattle. I told him it was no big deal, I'd take it in to the local dealership (I bought it 50 miles away) later in the week. He insisted that he drive down, leave a loaner and take mine back to fix the problem. It is very importantto him to get 5s on the post purchase survey.So he does that. He brings it back with a chip on the front driver fender, and tells me they cannot locate the problem. They drove it all over and didn't hear anyhting. I got in, went around the block, and heard the rattle the whole time.

What pisses me off more is the chip. The only reason its there is because they insisted on taking the car in to fix the rattle, which they couldn't do anyway. Arrgh!
  • oren1oren1 Member Posts: 17
    I have 2004 MDX with 21,000 miles on it. AC stopped working. I took it to the dealer. Dealer have to replace the compressor. Did any body knows is this a common problem with MDX. My knowledge of compressor going bad is a very rear occurrence
    Incredible. The sales manager was supposed to call the next day, that's Wednesday to "make me happy." I didn't hear from him, so I called the dealership, and ended up getting the owner. He says "Oh, I guess we forgot to call you. We're getting a new one ready for you. Same model, options, colors. We'll just swap them out."

Should I be suspicious? All that for a window rattle and small paint chip? Anyone else ever heard of a dealer doign this? I was just going to ask that they fix the chip, then take it to another dealer for the rattle.

What can they do with this car? Won't they have to sell it as used?
  • dcoe1dcoe1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a good way to hard-wire connect an MP3 IPOD to the factory installed NAV-Touring radio system? I am told that the cheapo FM transmitter and tape casette player methods are not satisfactory as far as convenience and sound quality. Thanks, Doug.
  • 862743862743 Member Posts: 1
    Brought 2006 MDX at about the same time with exact the same problem and was told the same thing. Did you call Acura and complain? If there are many of us maybe they do some thing about this. Good luck!
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I just made a deal on a new 06 MDX Touring with Navi and DVD. (Picking it up later this week)
    I just found this forum and the constant list of various problems freaks me out!!!
    I'm paying $40,000+ for this car. I would hope to not experience any of this.

I would rather spend the extra few thousand and get the Lexus RX350. Spend some time on the Lexus Forums, you will see NONE of this... just happy owners talking about things like color preference and cleaning advice.

What's up with Acura?
    Should I drop this deal? :confuse:
    I really like ours, so does my wife. But the rear window thing really pisses me off. I took the new one they offerred, but same problem. Checked two others on the lot, all have the same issue. Roll down the rear window two-four inches and you can jiggle it in the frame. They claim they 've never noticed/seen the problem.

But, it's still larger than the lexus. the thrid row is usable, and we like it overall. Just can;t roll down the back window a couple inches.
    Well, I just off my deposit yesterday afternoon. I can pick it up tomorrow but I think I'm waiting until Saturday.

I warned them about my findings in the forums and if there were any issues with the truck, I would be their worst nightmare and they assured me nothing but a great experience.
    They also stated that they have had no complaints at all. (but this I do not believe)

I guess we'll see what happens.
    I'm going into this with an open mind.
    Nothing is perfect, even $43,000 cars. As long as Acura stands behind their product and offers me assistance when needed, I'll be happy.

Having a service dept open until 10pm weeknights doesn't hurt either. ;)
    let me know about your windows.

The service guy has told me that Acura knows of no complaints. They are actually designed to be loose so that the track doesn't leave marks on the window (this is dumb. If it did leave tracks, they'd be where you can't see them) b/c the TL had windows that were too tight and people complained.

They just flunked their survey.
    Well, I was supposed to pick it up Saturday.

I'm also in the middle of a mortgage refinance. They suggested not signing on the MDX until closing is complete, so I may not be getting it until Monday or Tuesday now. :cry:

As soon as I pick it up, I'll let you know on the windows.
    Picked up my MDX this weekend.
    Sage Brush Pearl on Black.... looks great.

The rear windows do NOT rattle at all. I have some nice bumpy old roads near the house. I took the MDX out and as I drove around, opened the rear windows a little at a time, no rattles.
    I am able to grab the open window and wiggle it slightly, but it's no more movement than I have seen in any other car.

I also checked out 2 TLs while I was there. The windows were snug and did not rattle or move when wiggled.
    One was a new 06 in the showroom, the other was an used 05 on the lot.

I can't imagine why you have this issue and why other cars on their lot have it as well. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • ms1211ms1211 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I bought the MDX Premium last week and am having a great discomfort in my back while driving. The lumbar seems to be too propped out even in the least position. It seems to be pushing my back forward. I have tried all the seating position but it is very painful.

I understand that Touring has power lumbar option but it is too late for me now. I kind of regret not that buying Touring. Anyway, what are my options at this point. I can not drive this car with my back aching severely. I have never had any problem with any other car...even the one without adjustable lumbar support.

Can this lumbar be adjusted? What are my options?

Any help will be greatly appreiated.