Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Care and Maintenance

Comments

• jellymanjellyman Member Posts: 3
    The filter is located behind the glove box as you say. They have replaced the plastic brace with a metal brace which is more formidable to remove. Removing the brace does not appear to affect the integrity of the glovebox. There are two units side by side behind the glove box one contains the filter we are familiar with. The other made by the same company has something which appears to be foam visible through some vents. It looks like it may be difficult to get to. I am wondering if this is the second filter they are talking about?
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    I have a service manual for the '03 and will check for sure. I did my own pollen filter and it is fairly straight forward. I did see a post on another board about a filter for the rear unit, but have not confirmed in the service manual.
  • cmigscmigs Member Posts: 5
    I tried searching edmunds for this, but with no luck...

I want to be sure the dealership changed my filter the last time I had the MDX in. Do you have to un-screw the glove box retainer to gain access to the back where the filter is located? If so, how easy is it to put the glovebox back together? I tried to check behind the glove box near the floor and saw nothing...any help would be apprectiated...
  • bvillabvilla Member Posts: 3
    i live in canada, and i don't think there is an owners' website that services this market. i've signed up for the honda america owners' site, which has some great features, but it doesn't help me here (with service, etc.).

i'm just curious if the site is as good as it looks. are people using it? what works, what doesn't?

signed,
    jealous in toronto
  • hnikdelhnikdel Member Posts: 6
    My Acura dealer is telling me that the hand pump is no longer available from Honda. Are they telling me the truth? Is there another place I can buy the hand pump from?

Thanks

Hnikdel
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    A pump is a pump. If you got it changed at local mechanic's they wouldn't use an "acura pump". I think your dealer is not being forthright. It might be possible that Honda isn't selling one anymore, however I am sure there are transmission fluid change pumps on the market...you could probably even use a hand pump one for transfering liquids between buckets or syphoning?

You should shop online...There must be a honda accessories place that sells such items. I don't think hondaacuraworld carries such an item...but you could call/email and ask them?
  • hnikdelhnikdel Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I called hondaacuraworld and ordered one. Seems like my local Acura dealer is not too keen on helping DIY.
  • dramosdramos Member Posts: 1
    Have the tires rotated and balanced. I will have this done a trustworthy gas station or tire service center that offers balancing services. Balancing the tires will most definitely take care of this problem. What you are experiencing is a common problem that happens to all cars. The cost of this server should be under $50.
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    What has been found to be the smoothest riding tire pressure for the touring Michelin tires? It recommends 32psi cold...any suggestions?
    35/36 all around is what I run. The tires seem to be wearing normally.

However all gauges are different. The best pressure is where you have the most tread hitting the road...too high the center tread wears too fast, too low and the outsides wear out...best way is to check between 30-40 PSI and see how the tires look...once you determine how your gauge reads, just keep it the same.
  • qrtlowqrtlow Member Posts: 13
    I would definitly avoid dishwashing detergent. It will over time oxidize and discolor the finish and it's tough on rubber and plastic. Sure it will do a good job of getting it squeeky clean, but it will strip off the wax. I would rather use Mequires or Mothers car wash liquid. They actually have "paint nutrients" added to suppliment the finish and they are PH balanced.

A glaze is used every few months between waxes. Meguires New Car Glaze is good, Mother's California Gold Sealer\Glaze is good. They both have oil based "nutrients" that get into the finish and deepen the color and shine. It resists finger prints and inhances shine with synthetic polymers, it covers small scratches and "spider webbing" too. :shades:
  • genyagenya Member Posts: 7
    (I also posted on problems board, seems like both sides can contribute)

I am considering a purchase of a 2003 MDX (navi +ras) with 59K miles on it. Is that a smart thing to do? Anything that I should pay special attention to when inspecting the car? Does Acura provide pre-purchase evaluation or something along those lines that I can rely on? Also, my 96 TL required 60K miles service, that cost about $1200. Should I be prepared for something comparable for MDX?

According to Acura records the car I am considering had breaks and the battery replaced at this point...

Any tips would be highly appreciated.
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    Hi, has anyone's dash light for the temp control (little red and blue buttons above the NAV) gone out? Mine just did and was wondering how to replace it.
  • boomerangboomerang Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I've sorted through most comments on this topic, but in case anyone is reading this has the authoritative opinion...just bought a new 2006 MDX, want to protect the interior. Did not opt for the dealer "ResistAll" treatment on interiors and exterior - cost about $500, but guaranteed (!) for 4 years...so now, seems like Scotchguard is the best and cheapest solution for the floormats, etc, but what about the leather seats? Any product recommendations? And has anyone tried those car seat protectors to protect the leather from indentations from toddler carseats?

Thanks!
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    I have used the Armor all leather wipes for 4 years on my 02...leather still looks great.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    I took ownership of my 2001 MDX on the first day of delivery back in October 2000. Based on the VIN, it was one of the first MDXs off the assembly line. Overall, I've been very pleased with my MDX. Here's how the car has faired over the past 5.5 years and 75,000 miles.

- New tires (Goodyear's) were required at 45,000. I probably could have gone an extra 5,000.
    - Transmission recall at 62,000. Thankfully, I've not had any issues thus far with the transmission.
    - 66,000 miles the check engine light appeared. Turned out to be a bad EGR valve. After I paid the $300 in repair expenses, Acura issued a recall and refunded me the money.
    - 68,000 miles (car was 4 years old). Battery needed replacing.
    - 72,000 miles the check engine light and VTM-4 light appeared. The car oscillated between high and low RPMs at idle and the car started driving very rough (I actually thought the transmission was about to go). Turns out to be a bad IAC valve. Repair cost was $300.
    - 74,000 miles, I put on 4 new brake pads. I probably could have gone another 5,000 on the originals.

Overall, the interior leather has held up real well. It's now my #3 car so it sits outside in the winter and summer. If you keep conditioning the leather, the seats will hold up well! The exterior clear coat is starting to show some initial signs of wear.

Long term, I fear the expenses associated with the 105,000 mile maintenance work. Timing belt replacement is in the $800-$900 neighborhood (at current prices from a non-dealer repair shop). Hopefully, before I hit this mileage interval, a newly designed MDX will be available!!!
  • love2driveinctlove2driveinct Member Posts: 80
    We have the Two Stage Car Seat Protector made by Prince Lionheart (they sell it at Babies R Us). We have found that it does a great job protecting the leather seat in our Ody. Since it curves up a little on the sides (hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean when you install it), it is also a good spot to put little things that you don't want rolling around the floor (pacifiers, extra toys, etc). We will definitely continue to use it in our new vehicle, which will be an 06 MDX or 06 Ody (still deciding!).

HTH
    Got my VTM fluid and oil changed, tires rotated, state inspection...$375...then they said my front brake pads won't pass inspection...$225 for pads and disk turn...I opted for pad replacement only for $169 since my rotors were warped and replaced under warranty a year ago. This was the quoted price. They just called as I was posting, funny enough and they said it came in total at $396??? I didn't argue, so I will see when I get there to pick it up.

I probably could have done better if I had gone to honda I am sure, but I was trying a new dealer. Brake pads I could have gotten for probably $80 at an independent...but the time to take another day off work to get there didn't seem worth it.
    Well, I got my bill. They charged me $1.30 for labor on the vtm fluid change? I assume that is the error. I told the service manager that it seemed much cheaper than quoted, he said he did the bill himself and he knew it was right.

So even better, I go out to my truck and the bumper is all scratched up. I brought it to their attention and they said they will take care of it. I cannot imagine they can do much for scratches in the plastic bumper? So this means at least another trip back.
  • ohiojoeohiojoe Member Posts: 1
    At 89K my check engne light came on. Dealer wants about $300 to fix EGR. I could not find info on Acura about recall, so any help you can provide is welcome. Also, any opinons about whether it is really necessary to fix EGR? Thanks.
  • boom3boom3 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 MDX is about ready for brake pad replacement, dealer wants $570 to do it. Did you get the dealer to replace your brake pads or did you do it yourself? I've changed brake pads before on cars but never on a MDX, is it something to try or have a dealer/shop do it?
  • boom3boom3 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 MDX is about ready for brake pad replacement, dealer wants $570 to do it. Is this a job that someone can do themself? I've changed brake pads before on cars but never on a MDX, is it something to try or have a dealer/shop do it?
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Honestly, I have not pulled the tires on my new '06 yet, but if you've done brakes on cars in the past, you know what to look for.

My '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited was just as easy as any car brake job I had done, and the MDX is much more car/minivan like than the very off-road capable Jeep.

I assume it should be a cake walk.

Pulling a tire will tell you right away.
    If you can get to the calipers and the rotors are easlily removed, you're in business.
    Just a glance will tell you what you're in for.

And for half of that $570 price, you should be able to replace all 4 Rotors and install Lifetime replacement pads.
    I know a lot of people go Ceramic, but I still swear by Bendix Semi-Metalic brake pads.
    Quiet, awesome stopping power, last a long time, have a lifetime replacement warranty, and not too bad in the brake dust department. (I also wax my wheels)

And with all new parts, the install is quick and painless.
    Just remember to clean up and lube your Caliper slides.

Best of luck!
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    I see there is an NHTSA Service Bulletin dated Sept 2003 on MDX EGR valves. All systems on this complex truck should be kept up-to-date, but $300 sounds rather steep.

EPA Report says: "2001/2 MDX EGR valve warranty was extended to 8 yrs/80,000 miles.....Mfr Recall # is WER-02-038-00, Acura service bulletin # 05-019"

A good source is MyCarStats.com......you have to sign-up and provide an email address. Much of the info is free. Copies of bulletins can be purchased from a third party.

I too purchased my 2001NAVI when there was a four month wait for them. After 53000miles my report:

- Replaced the Goodyears with CrossTerrains at 44,000
    - Had the 2nd gear lube jet added under the Trans. recall
    - Had the front springs replaced under the corrosion recall
    - No EGR issues, yet
    - Plastic Leather ("Pleather") arm rests in the doors and center console begain to disintegrate leaving sticky/tacky surface, Acura replaced out-of-warranty
    - Poorly designed clips holding the back panel of drivers seat would no longer hold the panel up, Acura replaced entire panel in-warranty
    - 52,000 miles replaced the brake pads myself, in my opinion, front rotors were marginally designed and do tend to warp, new pads removed any pulsing I saw during high speed braking, I will look to replace with vented and slotted aftermarket rotors some time [Acura service depts using this as a money maker, charging folks to replace rotors that have been warped ("hot spots") - the rotors should have been designed to handle the heat of stopping a truck of this size]
    -53,000 updated the Navigation system DVD, new DVD contains more information which slows down the old processor as it sorts for an acceptable route, still the best navi system I've seen and its been in Hondas for over six years.

This vehicle was first to offer the third row seat in a modest sized SUV. Still getting 22+ mph on highway trips.

Biggest complaint has been the fact that it is a door ding magnet. Honda is just starting to understand how build really big (wide) vehicles to survive the "urban jungle".

Crossing my fingers as I approach 60k, 70k ,and 80k with the original transmission design. Would probably have bought a Pilot fully-loaded if they have been available. :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Summary TSB info is available in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide. The NHTSA has them too (and occasionally full text is available there free).

Sometimes you can get your service writer to burn you a copy of a TSB. Alldata sells full text but Honda TSBs aren't available.

Steve, Host
    boom3 -

You've probably serviced the brakes by now but,

I did my 01 MDX pads myself. Not much different from a standard car disc brake job. I used the OEM replacements and paid around $140 for all four wheels (which included the anti-squeal grease and shims).

If you have to turn the rotors due to warping, thats another story.

If you have to replace the rotors due to loss of thickness or severe warping, note that the hub nut is deformed after it is installed (as a locking feature) and you will need to replace these.

In my experience the dealers have been very aggressive in selling new rotors to uninformed customers. Have them measure the thickness of each rotor and give you a comparison of the actual thickness to the minimum service thickness. [And tell them you want the old rotors once they change them out - this may prevent them from "pulling a fast one".] The cheapest (not recommended) each new rotor goes for on-line (you need four) is about $60.

:)
  • steve290steve290 Member Posts: 25
    2002 mdx needs front pads & rotors. I have had good luck with Acura OEM parts. Does anone know what company makes the MDX discs and pads for Acura? Should I be looking at upgrading, I like to get discs and pads that have long life.
    autopartswarehouse.com has a large selection of brake components and descriptions that include OEM information. I would try and upgrade to slotted or drilled rotors if it works for you. :shades:
  • sisu1996sisu1996 Member Posts: 25
    Having owned mycar for 1 month/550 miles, I noticed that if I let loose the steering wheel the car tends to run off to the left border of the lane it is on. However, I am not 100% sure if the lane is purely straight. Is there a better way to check this? Or just go talk to the dealer about my suspicion?

Any idea?

Thanks.
    Talk to the dealer.

If the road has excessive crown, there's a slight chance of the car slightly heading in that direction... but my 06 MDX flies perfectly straight! ;)
  • sisu1996sisu1996 Member Posts: 25
    Had one service technician sit in my car and he acknowledged it needs alignment. According to him such a problem could occur when the new cars were shipped from factory to the dealership.

Paid nothing as it is one month old and problem is not normal wear and tear.

Thanks scottm123.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    Have new '06MDX which will be kept outside (New England) all year around. What wax is best for decent protection and still reasonable in terms of labor to use as reaching the top is "fun" since I am more use to sedans.
    If you want a very easy on/off application with great results, try Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax
    www.Meguiars.com

It's very easy to apply, wipes off without any power or residue, and the results are phenomenal.
    I've got an 06 MDX Touring, Sage Brush Pearl.
    After waxing, in the sun, it looks like you could go swimming in the finish.

I use this on my wheels as well. It makes for very easy removal of brake dust.

I suggest applying approx every 3 months.
    The NXT-Generation Car Wash is fantastic as well.
    It PH Balanced and wont remove your newly applied wax.
    Thanks. Put on the NXT wax this past weekend and it looks great. It did go on and off easily. Took some time....that is a lot of metal. Esp. loved doing the roof standing on a stool(and I'm 6'2"). Even though it is kept outside hope it does last the entire 3 months as I will have to start using a commercial car wash soon.
    commercial car wash????? :cry:

There's no worse thing that can be done to your vehicle than a commercial car wash.
    I know winter is coming and it's horribly cold outside, but I suggest waiting for those warmer days (ie, above freezing) and doing it with the self-serve stalls.
    DO NOT use the brush, but just the wand with high pressure soap and rinse.
    You can keep a jelly blade in the car to remove most of the water, and a micro-fiber towel will quickly remove the rest.
    Your ride will come out dryer than the auto-wash, and you won't get those frozen lines of salty ice down the sides as you drive away.

As for the wax, it's the sun that does most of the wax break-down... and the sun does it's evil abuse to our cars year round.

Glad you tried the NXT... My MDX sparkles like crazy when I'm done... and yes, that's a very big car to wax (LOL).

You'll notice that the wheels will still need a little soap and water to come clean, but no where near the work needed before they were waxed.
    Wax is so last century. :shades:

Mr_Shiftright, "Teflon Paint Sealants Revisited" #7, 10 Jul 2003 9:33 am

Interesting recent paint article on Edmunds:

"The difference [in paint] today is that resin is a waterborne polymer engineered at the molecular level. This works to lower air-polluting emissions when it's sprayed on, and it produces a long-lasting, UV-, tree sap- and bird-dropping-resistant finish. "Everything is done at a nano level," Cressy explains further. "There is new spraying equipment that atomizes the paint much more productively without overspray. And the paint often has an electric charge so it adheres better to the [oppositely charged] body. The technology around paint has changed more in the last 10 years than it had in the previous 60."

Color's Bright Future
    Sorry Steve, but "long-lasting, UV-, tree sap- and bird-dropping-resistant finish" ???

Tell that to the owners of the Acura TL who chose Nighthawk Black Pearl as their color.
    One thing you won't hear is that it's long-lasting, UV-, tree sap- and bird-dropping-resistant.

Technically speaking, the easy to find, inexpensive to buy, easy to apply suggested NXT is synthetic, so it's not really a wax at all, it a sealant.
    Adding to that, I don't believe it's a Teflon sealant, but all the same.
    Even the Teflon sealants need to be re-applied.

Don't be fooled by the sealant protection package offered from just about every car dealer... their a complete waste of money.

Take your new car home, give it a nice wash with a ph-balanced car wash (Not dish soap), clay the car to remove any remaining rail dust and microscopic debris, and then give it a nice coat of wax/sealant.

Whatever product/method you choose... with a nice shiny car, life is good. :)
    I still clay occasionally but skip the wax. With a wagon and a minivan, I don't need the glamour. :shades:

This one will suck you in if you aren't careful:

Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair

(not as bad as the Zaino one though, lol).
  • mformdxmformdx Member Posts: 12
    Got 2 children in car seats. Is there any accessory that I can use to cover the back and bottom of seats to protect from the car seat imprints/tears ? Currently I have towels underneath but was wondering if there is a better way.
    I have a 2 mo. old "06 MDX and have been washing it myself but weather now too cold and had to turn off the outside faucets. In past have noticed in commercial washes that attendant sometimes places plastic bag around rear wiper. Any purpose? Is there a possibility that these washes can harm the rear wiper?
    I have an 06 MDX and one of my main concerns was my 3 yr old's car seat ruining the seat like it did in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Before taking delivery of the car, I went to Babies-R-Us and bought a seat protector.

I have, for various reasons, removed her seat about a dozen times since taking delivery in May and the seats look as new as the day we bought the car.

Here is a link to the product.
    Two Stage Car Seat Protection
    This is a sore subject for me, because personally, I depise comercial car washes.
    Use the self serve if you worry about freezing the driveway, but never the machine!!!

If you insist on using the machine...
    The bag is placed on the rear wiper because as the car goes through, the rags that hand down and swing about can get caught on the read wiper as the car passes through.
    If they get caught, the will tear the wiper clean off.
    The bag helps keep the rags from getting caught on the little edges of the wiper arms.

Good luck! :shades:
    Scottm123: Thanks!! Thats exactly what I am looking for. I recently bought a matching bench seat cover that goes over the entire 2nd row with towels hidden under the car seats. Now I can get rid of the towels. Also the bench seat cover may be too big on the 3rd row..haven't tried it yet.
    The bench seat cover will work great for keeping the leather clean.
    Adding this additional protection will keep your seats from getting those horrible indents, that never go away.

The car seats fit so tightly that they dig into the padding beneath the leather.
    Over time, it ruins the seats.

This car seat protector is thick enough that it protects from those dents.
    I'll never install a car seat without one again.
    And for the low cost, once it gets dirty and nasty, it's not so much to replace it.

:D
    Did you check the tire pressure in all the wheels ? A simple thing to rule out..who knows, may be you have a faulty tire/nozzle cap.
    I would like to know if anyone had luck buying all-season floormat for the 3rd row ? Didn't see one at a local auto store.
    My other car has the horrible indents from the car seats and along with the food stains the little critters made I doubt any adult would want to sit behind. Its an old car so don't care much about it. But I wouldn't want the same thing on my MDX. I got the bench cover at a local supermarket for $17 (sells for $40 in auto stores) and with $20 a piece (2 car seats) for the seat protector thats money well spent. While I'm at Babiesrus this weekend I'm also going to look for something that will protect the back of driver/passenger seat from all the shoe marks. :)
    They got those too!
    Seat Back Protector
    Update: the Two Stage Car Seat Protection was put to test over the weekend. My 3 year old threw up and made a big mess. The car seat and the seat protector got the brunt of it. Thrashed the car seat and hosed the seat protector. Its a good quality product. Its a must for car seats. Thanks scottm123 for recommending it. Also the seat cover added an extra protection and went straight into the washer. Everything is as good as new now :)